Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fuling

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2022

Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:50 pm

Nice to see JQ returning with passengers to NRT for the first time since March 2020. 4x weekly CNS-NRT and 3x weekly CNS-KIX from 26 July.

evanb

Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:04 pm

F100Flyer wrote:
Appears that QF933 BNE-PER operated by 738 VH-VZO issued a 'mayday' to gain priority landing on monday morning after running low on fuel.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/mayd ... -c-7592424

The sector was 5hrs 39m, so I find this a little strange given this sector can sometimes approach and exceed 6hrs in the winter.

Fuel planning is specific based on the load, weather and operational constrains (including potential hold time) on the day and time of departure. Even if they can regularly fly 6 hours on that route, they wouldn't have carried any more fuel than what was required for that day's flight. It does appear unusual that they did not have sufficient fuel for more than a 10 minute hold, so there will definitely be an investigation (not just ATSB, but company too) to understand if any errors were made in planning the fuel load or if there was an operational error. However, it may not have been an error but rather that actual conditions (loads, weather, routing, etc) differed significantly from what was expected. This does happen, and on a longer sector like this, can have a significant impact.

That said, from the specifics reported, it seems as though everything was in order, landing with 40 minutes remaining.

qf2220

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:07 am

EK413 wrote:
and this case the A330’s doing some of the heavy lifting…

A330s, always solid performers, just quietly getting on with their business.

grh

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:20 am

JQ's 1st NEO (VH-OFE/9540) had its first flight at Hamburg on 21/07/22

qf2048

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:32 am

qf2220 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
and this case the A330’s doing some of the heavy lifting…

A330s, always solid performers, just quietly getting on with their business.

A333's also quietly approaching 20 years old.

DavidByrne

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:52 am

NZ801 wrote:
Wondering too if those price sensitive pax would be intrigued by the possibility of an Addis stopover.

I pay for all my own travel so I'm definitely in the "price-sensitive" category, and I'd jump at the chance of an ADD stopover. Bring it on!

Being price-sensitive and having solid research skills, I've done some wonderful routings which over the years have given me stopovers in places I'd never have otherwise gone, like RIX, LUX, CAI, SOF, SJJ, CMB, HAN, etc etc. And saved a bunch of cash in the process. And I've had transit stops in places like LXR, DAM, NTE, PEN, JON and many more. All part of the richness of travel for an avgeek.

Obzerva

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:26 am

Just regarding the VA "New Era of Flying" that was cancelled for today.

One thing I've noticed, is their app updated in IOS today, the logo looks very Virgin Atlantic - so maybe a bit of a new look?

CostaDelSol90

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:42 am

The new logo was leaked weeks ago via the Tasmanian vest promotion was it not? People are just waiting to see what the new livery is.

Obzerva

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:54 am

CostaDelSol90 wrote:
The new logo was leaked weeks ago via the Tasmanian vest promotion was it not? People are just waiting to see what the new livery is.

ahh didn't notice that.

Not sure if VA really needs a new livery, takes years to have a fleet in a uniform look, and it looks good that it's all consistent now.
JQ and QF on the other hand.....

RyanairGuru

Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:34 am

CostaDelSol90 wrote:

What was that? Must have completely missed it.

The updated app is definitely notable, adopting the VS/VX white writing on red compared to red writing on white.

Velocity7

Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:12 am

Obzerva wrote:

One thing I've noticed, is their app updated in IOS today, the logo looks very Virgin Atlantic - so maybe a bit of a new look?

Virgin Atlantic has the best livery across all past and present Virgin franchises IMO - that red on their current livery - it has a 'pearlescence" about it. TG had similar with the purple which also looked great

a320fan

Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:24 am

VA adopting the VS livery would make it look like a cross between QF and JQ with a red tail and silver/grey fuselage

Website also updated with a new logo btw.

moa999

Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:58 am

Logo also updated on website and socials.

Not similar at all.

ImageImage

The current Virgin Atlantic corporate logo is quite different.

AdvancedBikkie

Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:54 am

VA just teased their “fresh new look” on IG.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgTnCUeF ... MyMTA2M2Y=

I wonder if this was their “Instragrammable” launch scheduled for today.

RyanairGuru

Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:13 am

Maybe it’s just me, but this brand refresh seems fairly pointless. Maybe it will make more sense once it is officially announced, but right now I can’t see any explanation unless you want to look indistinguishable to your closest competitor. It seems like change for changes sake, an idea in search of a purpose.

CraigAnderson

Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:42 am

Wow, repainting all those tails, printing new business cards and stationery and producing new signage is definitely going to fix Virgin's problems with delays and cancellations, and who needs inflight Wi-Fi and premium lounge entry anyway? Nope, a new logo that's basically a colour reversal of the old one on the other hand, it's a game-changer! LOL

freshwater

Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:24 am

DavidByrne wrote:
NZ801 wrote:
Wondering too if those price sensitive pax would be intrigued by the possibility of an Addis stopover.

I pay for all my own travel so I'm definitely in the "price-sensitive" category, and I'd jump at the chance of an ADD stopover. Bring it on!

Being price-sensitive and having solid research skills, I've done some wonderful routings which over the years have given me stopovers in places I'd never have otherwise gone, like RIX, LUX, CAI, SOF, SJJ, CMB, HAN, etc etc. And saved a bunch of cash in the process. And I've had transit stops in places like LXR, DAM, NTE, PEN, JON and many more. All part of the richness of travel for an avgeek.

I can definitely relate to this... great to hear of others! https://www.flightconnections.com/ helps with the travel planning/dreaming

lammified

Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:28 am

Changi Airport Group has announced the reopening of Terminal 4 at Changi Airport, and in their announcement stated that the Jetstar Group would move there effective October 25.

Jetstar has just released a press statement, saying they did not agree to any move and will not be moving from Terminal 1 until an agreement is reached. The last time Jetstar Asia needed help after the fiasco involving a change of ground handlers, Qantas had to step in. I wonder whether big brother will get involved again this time. This move would make their existing codeshare arrangements very inconvenient to say the least, with a bus transfer required between T4 and the main terminals at Changi.

'No intention of moving': Jetstar says it is 'extremely disappointed' with Changi Airport Group's decision to relocate airline to T4

RyanairGuru

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:26 pm

lammified wrote:
Changi Airport Group has announced the reopening of Terminal 4 at Changi Airport, and in their announcement stated that the Jetstar Group would move there effective October 25.

Jetstar has just released a press statement, saying they did not agree to any move and will not be moving from Terminal 1 until an agreement is reached. The last time Jetstar Asia needed help after the fiasco involving a change of ground handlers, Qantas had to step in. I wonder whether big brother will get involved again this time. This move would make their existing codeshare arrangements very inconvenient to say the least, with a bus transfer required between T4 and the main terminals at Changi.

'No intention of moving': Jetstar says it is 'extremely disappointed' with Changi Airport Group's decision to relocate airline to T4

I’m sure a deal can be done, but Jetstar will be looking for a reduction in user charges and other concessions in return for moving. While 3K does have more interline and codeshare traffic than JQ in Australia, from memory GK have even more (based on pre-Covid numbers) but still operate from T3 at NRT. As a ULCC, Jetstar will pass over passenger convenience to save some money.

I’m surprised that Changi would announce that Jetstar are moving terminals before reaching an agreement with the airline. That seems shortsighted and/or heavy handed.

lammified

Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:38 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

I’m sure a deal can be done, but Jetstar will be looking for a reduction in user charges and other concessions in return for moving. While 3K does have more interline and codeshare traffic than JQ in Australia, from memory GK have even more (based on pre-Covid numbers) but still operate from T3 at NRT. As a ULCC, Jetstar will pass over passenger convenience to save some money.

I’m surprised that Changi would announce that Jetstar are moving terminals before reaching an agreement with the airline. That seems shortsighted and/or heavy handed.

I think CAG has made its decision long ago, announcements like these aren't made on a whim, especially late on a Friday afternoon, and it was probably a calculated move to provoke a response from Jetstar. Unfortunately for 3K, they are no longer the airline they were pre-covid, having shrunk from 18 to 7 aircraft, and so their sway with CAG has probably diminished greatly. QF Group already has more than enough on their plate, I have my doubts about them kicking up a fuss over what many here in Singapore see as an unwanted child in 3K.

qf2048

Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:06 am

I saw a news story about this on Singapore's News channel CNA this morning. Says CX and KL moving to T4 also. Seems silly not to have all the oneworld airlines and their partners in the one terminal. Most other oneworld airlines seem to be in T1 at SIN.

qf2048

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:08 am

qf2048 wrote:
I saw a news story about this on Singapore's News channel CNA this morning. Says CX and Kl moving to T4 also. Seems silly not to have all the oneworld airlines and their partners in the one terminal. Most other oneworld airlines seem to be in T1 at SIN.

Should be KE not KL...

FromCDGtoSYD

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:06 am

qf2048 wrote:
I saw a news story about this on Singapore's News channel CNA this morning. Says CX and KL moving to T4 also. Seems silly not to have all the oneworld airlines and their partners in the one terminal. Most other oneworld airlines seem to be in T1 at SIN.

CX and KE were anchor tenants when T4 first opened in 2017. They probably looked at the data and saw SIN was a destination with negligible transfer pax. In the case of CX it allowed them to operate a more tailor made/boutique experience to its passengers. If you’ve ever flown out of T4 you’ll know what I mean, far cry from how crowded the other terminals can be.

RE Jetstar, they provide connections to so many airlines. It helps beef up QFs hub operations in SIN. They offered flights to around 25 destinations with 3K (including DRW) and 5 with QF (LHR and Oz). Thats without counting EK, AF, KL, BA… I doubt Jetstar will move without a fight or at least concessions especially as Singapore’s darling SQ grows its narrowbody fleet both mainline and at TR. Let us remember that it was Scoot that was at T2 and has been relocated to T1 whilst renovation goes on, if anything they should be booted.

A350OZ

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:16 am

qf2048 wrote:

CX had already moved to T4 from the day it opened, they were only relocated back to T1 (or T2?) due to the temporary closure due to Covid.

It was really shortsighted that they didn’t connect T4 to the air train system, but probably difficult to fix now given that the “airside” section at T1/2/3 runs after immigration but before security, while T4 airside is all past one central security. Retrofitting this means it would need to arrive somewhere in between immigration and security at T4, an area that probably doesn’t exist.

Re all of Oneworld moving to T4, there is a lot of connectivity outside of alliances to more random partners at a non-OW hub like SIN than there would be between OW airlines I’d imagine (QF to AF as an example, but also MH to SQ).

QF41

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:48 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
qf2048 wrote:

CX and KE were anchor tenants when T4 first opened in 2017. They probably looked at the data and saw SIN was a destination with negligible transfer pax. In the case of CX it allowed them to operate a more tailor made/boutique experience to its passengers. If you’ve ever flown out of T4 you’ll know what I mean, far cry from how crowded the other terminals can be.

RE Jetstar, they provide connections to so many airlines. It helps beef up QFs hub operations in SIN. They offered flights to around 25 destinations with 3K (including DRW) and 5 with QF (LHR and Oz). Thats without counting EK, AF, KL, BA… I doubt Jetstar will move without a fight or at least concessions especially as Singapore’s darling SQ grows its narrowbody fleet both mainline and at TR. Let us remember that it was Scoot that was at T2 and has been relocated to T1 whilst renovation goes on, if anything they should be booted.

3K are scrapping the DRW flights. Seems with less and less flights and planes out of SIN, they will lose any sway they thought they'd have with the airport operators.

smi0006

Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:54 pm

moa999 wrote:
Logo also updated on website and socials.

Not similar at all.

ImageImage

The current Virgin Atlantic corporate logo is quite different.

That’s a shame - the VS livery and a bit more purple would have looked a bit more premium and been a good shift away from QF red. Curious to see what the new livery looks like tbh. Wonder why they keep cancelling the event? Must be a new livery, I think a bold statement away from white would be a nice which impact move.

smi0006

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:14 pm

QF41 wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
qf2048 wrote:

3K are scrapping the DRW flights. Seems with less and less flights and planes out of SIN, they will lose any sway they thought they'd have with the airport operators.

Seems with the Scoot and Tiger merger 3K just can’t get the volume they need to compete in Singapore. The ValuAir merger just didn’t seem to add huge value. Jetstar in Asia is an interesting one- Japan seems to be a success, but Vietnam and Hong Kong were disasters - verdict on Singapore is unclear…. Arrogant QF/JQ management thinking they can rock up on Asia and do better? Or bad luck and timing?

Whatsaptudo

Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:46 pm

Have Australians fallen out of love with Qantas?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-24/ ... c_news_web

ben175

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:54 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:

This is a really fantastic and by far the most well-balanced piece of journalism I have seen on this issue. Rather than just tearing QF a new one, it equally weighs up the treacherous conditions aviation is facing with the bad decisions made by management.

DavidByrne

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:15 am

I just took the NZ AKL-HBA flight today and was surprised that on arrival we had to walk the length of the terminal outside to the tiny immigration hall that was not large enough to accommodate all the pax on the 80% full A321 that was used today. What happens when it rains? Do people have to walk the 200m to immigration in pouring rain and hope that they don't have to stand outside awaiting processing?

Then when we reached the baggage hall, there were insufficient trollies even for half an A320 load. I had an extra heavy piece of baggage that I had to slide along the floor a few centimetres at a time while I carried my main bag and carry-on. When I reached the public area, eventually, there were trolleys there in number - but $5 to use one just to get my bags to my friend's car?

Frankly, I was disgusted. If HBA wants to attract other international carriers, it needs to look hard at the passenger experience.

RyanairGuru

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:37 am

DavidByrne wrote:
I just took the NZ AKL-HBA flight today and was surprised that on arrival we had to walk the length of the terminal outside to the tiny immigration hall that was not large enough to accommodate all the pax on the 80% full A321 that was used today. What happens when it rains? Do people have to walk the 200m to immigration in pouring rain and hope that they don't have to stand outside awaiting processing?

Then when we reached the baggage hall, there were insufficient trollies even for half an A320 load. I had an extra heavy piece of baggage that I had to slide along the floor a few centimetres at a time while I carried my main bag and carry-on. When I reached the public area, eventually, there were trolleys there in number - but $5 to use one just to get my bags to my friend's car?

Frankly, I was disgusted. If HBA wants to attract other international carriers, it needs to look hard at the passenger experience.

All arrivals at HBA, domestic and international, walk to the far end of the terminal outside. If it’s raining you get wet. I agree that it’s not the most user friendly experience, but it’s a tiny airport so have never thought too much of it.

NTLDaz

Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:20 am

DavidByrne wrote:

TBF I don't think they would have a realistic expectation of attracting any other international carriers. It isn't ideal but it is what it is. It isn't great for domestic arrivals either - and there are many more of them.

DavidByrne

Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:09 am

NTLDaz wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

TBF I don't think they would have a realistic expectation of attracting any other international carriers. It isn't ideal but it is what it is. It isn't great for domestic arrivals either - and there are many more of them.

Yes, I realise that the chances of other international flights at HBA aren't great, but that doesn't stop the local tourist industry from talking it up. And I think there's a further runway extension also planned with that in mind?

I'm usually the one who yawns loudly when others complain about first-world problems like the quality of the food in airline lounges or the lack of choice on airline entertainment systems. But I thought the HBA experience was more akin to airports I've been to in the third world. Yes, as you say, "it is what it is" but it really shouldn't be as bad as it is. If they can find the $$$ for runway improvements, surely they can provide shelter for passengers?

FromCDGtoSYD

Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:26 am

DavidByrne wrote:

Now you understand why there was so much noise when HBA invested in a few ramps a couple of years back. Anything even tiny is an improvement.

gardermoen

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:18 pm

DavidByrne wrote:

I absolutely agree.
What is happening currently is that part of the terminal which should be a “walkway to arrivals” is outside. This should be inside as part of the terminal itself. A clear sign that this airport marked as the gateway to Tasmania is out of date and badly in need of more expansion.
It’s been like this for a long time now - most arrivals are funnelled this way.
This airport could do with a few air bridges, what with the weather. It is busy enough throughout the day for them to be feasible surely.

TN486T

Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:12 pm

Reminds me of the terminals at MEB and the old ADL which puts HBA about 50 years behind the times.

beachroad

Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:16 pm

Whatsaptudo wrote:

For me this statement is the key one:

Tony Webber, an aviation sector analyst and former chief economist at Qantas:
“The airline industry is very, very competitive with very thin margins. Aviation is deeply affected by wars, terrorism, ash clouds from a volcanic eruption, earthquakes, viruses and volatile jet fuel prices. So many things which seem to occur fairly regularly and can ruin the business,” he says. “This affects the security of employment, particularly back-office labour, and people are just sick of it. Someone working in treasury risk management can go and work for an investment bank. Someone working in yield and revenue management can work for a hotel."

I know so many people that have had to leave in the last two years and then decided not to come back, simply because they've decided "enough is enough". An Airport Ground Duty Manager (at a big hub airport) who is now working in HR for a hotel company; a JV manager working in loyalty for a big global hotel chain; an Inflight Experience Designer now working for a major consultancy....... the list goes on and on.

Airlines rely on a mixture of experience and new talent, and having enough staff to cover for disruption (including sick). What's happened from my viewpoint is:

1. No where is working at full establishment, which creates staff shortages
2. That's made worse by a disproportionately high number of inexperienced staff, who are still building up their "know how" and therefore cope poorly with staff shortages
3. Sick rates that are much higher than historic levels, which make shortages worse again, it's not socially acceptable to "work through a cold or feeling rough" now.

It's a sad state of affairs, but that's how it goes.

freshwater

Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:00 pm

beachroad wrote:
Whatsaptudo wrote:

For me this statement is the key one:

Tony Webber, an aviation sector analyst and former chief economist at Qantas:
“The airline industry is very, very competitive with very thin margins. Aviation is deeply affected by wars, terrorism, ash clouds from a volcanic eruption, earthquakes, viruses and volatile jet fuel prices. So many things which seem to occur fairly regularly and can ruin the business,” he says. “This affects the security of employment, particularly back-office labour, and people are just sick of it. Someone working in treasury risk management can go and work for an investment bank. Someone working in yield and revenue management can work for a hotel."

I know so many people that have had to leave in the last two years and then decided not to come back, simply because they've decided "enough is enough". An Airport Ground Duty Manager (at a big hub airport) who is now working in HR for a hotel company; a JV manager working in loyalty for a big global hotel chain; an Inflight Experience Designer now working for a major consultancy....... the list goes on and on.

Airlines rely on a mixture of experience and new talent, and having enough staff to cover for disruption (including sick). What's happened from my viewpoint is:

1. No where is working at full establishment, which creates staff shortages
2. That's made worse by a disproportionately high number of inexperienced staff, who are still building up their "know how" and therefore cope poorly with staff shortages
3. Sick rates that are much higher than historic levels, which make shortages worse again, it's not socially acceptable to "work through a cold or feeling rough" now.

It's a sad state of affairs, but that's how it goes.

And this is sadly the new normal across many other industries as well, portable skillsets, the hollowing out of workplace agreements and labour shortages have seen a greater choice when it comes to career paths but to the detriment of staff loyalty, job satisfaction and most importantly... experience.

a320fan

Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:36 am

gardermoen wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

I absolutely agree.
What is happening currently is that part of the terminal which should be a “walkway to arrivals” is outside. This should be inside as part of the terminal itself. A clear sign that this airport marked as the gateway to Tasmania is out of date and badly in need of more expansion.
This airport could do with a few air bridges, what with the weather. It is busy enough throughout the day for them to be feasible surely.

Absolutely, if an airport with the level of commercial service as HBA existed in the US it would have a proper terminal with air bridges. The fact a lot of our smaller airports are basically a ground level shed where you have to walk out to the aircraft is a little embarrassing. Fine for a somewhat quiet airport with a couple of low cost flights a day on the QLD coast, but for a state capital with a high frequency service by full service carriers and international operations should have a proper terminal, especially with the weather Hobart gets. OOL is another one with an inadequate terminal, Airside there feels so small for the volume of pax and flights going out. At least the weathers usually pleasant.

tullamarine

Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:18 am

a320fan wrote:
gardermoen wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

I absolutely agree.

Absolutely, if an airport with the level of commercial service as HBA existed in the US it would have a proper terminal with air bridges. The fact a lot of our smaller airports are basically a ground level shed where you have to walk out to the aircraft is a little embarrassing. Fine for a somewhat quiet airport with a couple of low cost flights a day on the QLD coast, but for a state capital with a high frequency service by full service carriers and international operations should have a proper terminal, especially with the weather Hobart gets. OOL is another one with an inadequate terminal, Airside there feels so small for the volume of pax and flights going out. At least the weathers usually pleasant.

OOL is about to open a terminal extension which basically doubles the terminal size.

Owners of HBA are determined to sweat their asset and minimise the amount they send on it. VA requested space for a lounge years ago. Management has never made any space available which is why HBA still hasno lounge despite a significant number of VA flights departing every day.

csturdiv

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:06 am

Are the airports still in chaos around Australia? I know SYD was this AM, but I think it was fog related. Around 6:40am when I was walking to the office in Alexandria it was quite foggy. In about three weeks I have an 8:15am flight and I'm hoping it's not chaotic and that I shouldn't get there too early. Not sure if there is still a dedicated check in for QF gold or higher and business, that can help me maybe.

tullamarine

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:45 am

csturdiv wrote:
Are the airports still in chaos around Australia? I know SYD was this AM, but I think it was fog related. Around 6:40am when I was walking to the office in Alexandria it was quite foggy. In about three weeks I have an 8:15am flight and I'm hoping it's not chaotic and that I shouldn't get there too early. Not sure if there is still a dedicated check in for QF gold or higher and business, that can help me maybe.

The issue with domestic terminals is more related to security than check-in so, even though there is a fast lane for security, whether it is much faster is questionable. T2 in SYD was particularly bad this morning seemingly related to a machine fault limiting the number of security lanes that could be opened. I assume the delays resulting from this morning's imbroglio will have affected VA's and JQ's performance all day as the knock-ons go through the system.

Departing from international doesn't appear to be a problem currently though, like domestic, baggage handling on arrival is very slow.

QF29

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:14 am

I wonder when will QF increase its dismal 3x weekly services between MEL and SIN. One stage pre pandemic it was 2x daily with 1x A380!

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:21 am

QF29 wrote:
I wonder when will QF increase its dismal 3x weekly services between MEL and SIN. One stage pre pandemic it was 2x daily with 1x A380!

QF schedule shows 6 weekly this week and 5 weekly the next few weeks.

cx777fan

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:39 am

csturdiv wrote:

I flew out of T3 to MEL at 8am last Wednesday. Gold status, so used the priority security lane which moved pretty quickly. I was through in <5 minutes having arrived at 7:00.

The new X-ray machines now each have three "stations" at which people can sort their coats and carry on. There's a queue marshal directing people where to go: "number 2, sir". This is good in that now it means that moron with 3 carry on bags, two coats, a hat, a big belt buckle and 6 mobile phones doesn't hold up everyone behind him while he puts all his crap in trays.

If you're on AFF you'll have seen the thread bemoaning the fact you can no longer actually check in at the new kiosks in Qantas terminals. They only spit out bag tags. You have to have checked in on the app prior to arriving at the airport. A lot of people looked confused and peeved by this latest QF 'enhancement'.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:31 am

For NW22/23 Singapore Airlines will operate the following

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220726-sqnw22

qf2220

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:49 am

Qantas pulling out of Mt Gambier.

Original article in the Adelaide Advertiser, free link here

https://www.railpage.com.au/news/s/qant ... -16-months

Time for Rex to put its money where its mouth is?

tullamarine

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:57 am

qf789 wrote:

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

It's disappointing the of the 4 daily flights to MEL, 2 are using regional A359s which means continued reduced availability of W class. Likewise for SYD with only the daily 77W and A380 having W with the other 2 flights operated by regional A359s. BNE, PER and ADL have no W class being all regional A359s or 78Js.

I guess SQ don't see much competition for W class to SIN given all QF flights except QF1 are operated by A330s.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:36 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

It's disappointing the of the 4 daily flights to MEL, 2 are using regional A359s which means continued reduced availability of W class. Likewise for SYD with only the daily 77W and A380 having W with the other 2 flights operated by regional A359s. BNE, PER and ADL have no W class being all regional A359s or 78Js.

I guess SQ don't see much competition for W class to SIN given all QF flights except QF1 are operated by A330s.

It’s more to do with availability of airframes. Pretty much all 3 class A350’s are on long haul routes. You have LHR with a daily A350 which pre covid was either A388 or 77W. SQ still has a number of A380’s to return to service plus there is still around 10 77w’s to return to service as well. LAX is up to daily double 3 class A350 plus you have a YVR service which wasn’t offered pre covid

I tend to think as A380’s/77W’s return both MEL and SYD will see less of the regional A350’s

As for PER having the regional product is fine as it’s a 5 hr flight. BNE on the other hand had at least 1 daily flight with the long haul product pre covid

Velocity7

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:43 am

tullamarine wrote:
BNE, PER and ADL have no W class being all regional A359s or 78Js.

The SQ245/6 SIN-BNE-SIN rotation does the see the long haul A359 product which of course does included W but BNE saw 4 x daily SQ flights pre-COVID with the 6.00pm-ish service still not yet resumed. I booked some SQ flights for October / November - my card is still jittery! :shock:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos