Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkncj

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2022

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:54 am

Unclekoru wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Unclekoru wrote:
Delayed delivery of the 787-10 sounds like the reason behind the possible return of a small number of 777-200ERs too.

That would be interesting if it eventuated! Any indications where the 772 fleet would be deployed?

Not sure where they'd be used if it did happen. Fingers crossed, would love to see them back.

They could be used pretty quickly short-hail, freeing up the 789s for more long-haul sectors.

Could fill there time up, something like?
Frame 1 - AKL-SYD-AKL-SYD-AKL
Frame 2 - AKL-BNE-AKL-MEL-AKL
Frame 3 - AKL-NAN-AKL-RAR-AKL
Frame 4 - Spare/MX, long with some additional weekly sections like AKL-DPS-AKL.

Some days of the week, there are two 789s going to RAR within a couple of hours apart.

Kiwiandrew

Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:38 am

Re: bringing back some -200ERs on a short term basis. Don't forget, it's not just a matter of having the aircraft, they need the crews to operate them ( as well as enough people for catering/baggage handling etc), so even getting extra aircraft does not guarantee a quick ramp up in available capacity

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:40 am

zkncj wrote:
Unclekoru wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
There is 5 available for a month in December January before OKO leaves the fleet. I would think assuming there is enough crew to crew 5 of them for that month that they will do an additional 3 weekly LAX for that peak period. The last one is due back close to mid 2023.

Out of curiosity, is the comment that ZK-OKO is due to leave the fleet based on information from the NZ annual report? Recent internal company comms stated that all 7 are due to return to service by July 2023.

I would say they are probably actively looking at extending the lease on OKO, I'm sure the leasing company would be offering favourable terms to either extend the lease or purchase the aircraft.
From what I understand that OKO is one of the two leased 77W's and its lease is due to expire next year.

Possibly re OKO. There are 3 leased 77Ws, OKR and OKS being the other 2 delivered in 2014, I presume 12 year leases. I honestly thought they would have gone with returning all leased 777s both 772 and 77W and keeping 4 owned of each if needed. I get why they decided to retire all 772 and keep 77Ws only though.

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:59 am

Unclekoru wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Unclekoru wrote:

Out of curiosity, is the comment that ZK-OKO is due to leave the fleet based on information from the NZ annual report? Recent internal company comms stated that all 7 are due to return to service by July 2023.

It’s been said by a couple of respected users here that 6 would return, reality is 7 will return but 2 will leave. I have read if elsewhere as well. So unless something has changed recently that is the info I have.

I found the information I was looking for in the investor presentation. It refers to a fleet of six, not seven. This was also the first that I had heard of all seven 777-300ERs returning so must be a change in plan. Dynamic situation so no surprises that fleet composition is still being worked through. Delayed delivery of the 787-10 sounds like the reason behind the possible return of a small number of 777-200ERs too.
duff wrote:
Crewing up for 7 so I'm not sure where the 5 and 6 frame plan comes from

There is 7 but not all at once, it goes up to 5 then OKO leaves so back to 4 before the last 2 re enter ending with 6. However I wouldn’t be surprised given the situation if OKO lease was renewed, I am going totally off feeling not having inside knowledge here.

How many 787-10s are NZ getting anyway? Given the first 2 at least are 789s with the ULH configuration,
You would expect more than just 2 allowing for JFK/ORD to increase, and nothing was mentioned in the new product reveal on the 781 but the latter ones I believe can be swapped around between 789/781. The 772 thing comes up every so often but certainly nothing official in the public domain AFAIK, the next ULH 789 is due second half 2023 just after all the 77Ws are back.

zkncj

Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:54 am

Kiwiandrew wrote:
Re: bringing back some -200ERs on a short term basis. Don't forget, it's not just a matter of having the aircraft, they need the crews to operate them ( as well as enough people for catering/baggage handling etc), so even getting extra aircraft does not guarantee a quick ramp up in available capacity

The crewing issue is an major one, if there really is an lack of New Zealanders willing todo the job? Then maybe it’s time to use a cheaper offshore crew base to fill the gaps?

NTLDaz

Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:59 am

zkncj wrote:
Kiwiandrew wrote:

The crewing issue is an major one, if there really is an lack of New Zealanders willing todo the job? Then maybe it’s time to use a cheaper offshore crew base to fill the gaps?

Where is this cheaper off shire crew base coming from ? Australia could tap in to a cheaper NZ base but where do you think NZ will find this ?

zkncj

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:03 am

What I find really odd, is currently there is all this political/media attention over the supermarket monopoly we have.

Yet when it comes to airlines we seem to forget about that all? And the media and political sides usually sing praise about NZ.

With NZ being around 50% government owned, with a government credit line in the back pocket (should they need it). How is there any incentive for anyone else to give it ago?

Ideally we need at least an smaller secondary carrier, that would help keep NZ in shape.

duff

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:14 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Unclekoru wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

It’s been said by a couple of respected users here that 6 would return, reality is 7 will return but 2 will leave. I have read if elsewhere as well. So unless something has changed recently that is the info I have.

I found the information I was looking for in the investor presentation. It refers to a fleet of six, not seven. This was also the first that I had heard of all seven 777-300ERs returning so must be a change in plan. Dynamic situation so no surprises that fleet composition is still being worked through. Delayed delivery of the 787-10 sounds like the reason behind the possible return of a small number of 777-200ERs too.
duff wrote:

There is 7 but not all at once, it goes up to 5 then OKO leaves so back to 4 before the last 2 re enter ending with 6. However I wouldn’t be surprised given the situation if OKO lease was renewed, I am going totally off feeling not having inside knowledge here.

How many 787-10s are NZ getting anyway? Given the first 2 at least are 789s with the ULH configuration,
You would expect more than just 2 allowing for JFK/ORD to increase, and nothing was mentioned in the new product reveal on the 781 but the latter ones I believe can be swapped around between 789/781. The 772 thing comes up every so often but certainly nothing official in the public domain AFAIK, the next ULH 789 is due second half 2023 just after all the 77Ws are back.

Don’t think that’s how crew resourcing works. They resource for the number of frames operating. As far as Im aware crewing is for 7 frames by this time next year. Remains to be seen I guess.

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:25 am

duff wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Unclekoru wrote:

duff wrote:

Don’t think that’s how crew resourcing works. They resource for the number of frames operating. As far as Im aware crewing is for 7 frames by this time next year. Remains to be seen I guess.

For sure they would crew for the number of frames operating. It would go back to 5 fairly quickly, either there is effectively a spare aircraft in that period or I would think it might do an additional 3 weekly LAX over the peak.

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 am

zkncj wrote:
What I find really odd, is currently there is all this political/media attention over the supermarket monopoly we have.

Yet when it comes to airlines we seem to forget about that all? And the media and political sides usually sing praise about NZ.

With NZ being around 50% government owned, with a government credit line in the back pocket (should they need it). How is there any incentive for anyone else to give it ago?

Ideally we need at least an smaller secondary carrier, that would help keep NZ in shape.

I wouldn’t speak to loudly, haha the government might need a working group of 100 people on $200,000 each to study Air NZ for a year, then nothing happens anyway.

I am sure it is more expensive to fly than before but is it that bad domestically? International is what people are willing to pay and what the competition offers.

JQ compete on the main trunk, and tried some regional routes and others have tried the main trunk before and failed.

The US routes will be interesting given a JV with UA but then AA going to DFW instead of LAX, not sure how they will do given the non existent O&D to DFW from AKL they give up the large West coast market for the smaller mid eastern US market and a few European connections, I feel the US carriers need to be able to offer LAX/SFO and then grow a bit like NZ have, NZ have a good US POS compared to the US airlines ex AKL.

ZKNHF

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:35 am

Finally a ZQN night flight got canceled due to the 22:00 curfew (JQ220).

JQ223 SYD-ZQN seems to always arrive later than the 19:35 scheduled arrival. But yesterdays flight landed at 21:39, making turnaround and wheels up before the curfew practically impossible.

The same aircraft with replacement flight # JQ7220 took off for MEL at 14:22 today.

Zkpilot

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:44 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Unclekoru wrote:

I would say they are probably actively looking at extending the lease on OKO, I'm sure the leasing company would be offering favourable terms to either extend the lease or purchase the aircraft.
From what I understand that OKO is one of the two leased 77W's and its lease is due to expire next year.

Possibly re OKO. There are 3 leased 77Ws, OKR and OKS being the other 2 delivered in 2014, I presume 12 year leases. I honestly thought they would have gone with returning all leased 777s both 772 and 77W and keeping 4 owned of each if needed. I get why they decided to retire all 772 and keep 77Ws only though.

Operating 4x of each isn’t very cost effective.
1) Different aircraft - engines in particular.
2) Additional cost of training - both pilots and cabin crew and likely other costs in that vein too.
3) There isn’t really anything the 77E adds that the 789 and certainly 7810 can’t do.
4) The 77W is a far more capable aircraft with much bigger capacity than the 77E while only having a marginal increase in operating costs. These days lease costs of older 77W aren’t prohibitive. The 787 can’t do everything the 77W can.
5) 77W likely to hang around the fleet for several years at least while the 77E were on their last legs so far as NZ aircraft age goes. New interiors aren’t worth installing on aircraft on the way out.

NZ516

Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:02 am

My points on the suggestion for all 7 Boeing 77Ws returning. It is highly likely that they will need all of them due to multiple factors. Greater demand than first expected 6 months ago. More of the existing 789 fleet are to be out on maintenance and repaint etc. Plus a further delivery delay on the new GE powered 789s is likely due to the increased backlog in production issues with Boeing. The first one may not arrive till mid 2024. There should be an update on this estimate soon (August). So Air NZ will have 21 wide body fleet by mid 2023

As regarding the 77Es I can't see them returning as pointed out above with all the complex problems that would create.

NZ516

Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:21 am

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-t ... -continues

Air NZ is adding more flights to clear another day of cancellations including putting on 789s between AKL and CHC. There were 20 domestic cancelled flights from AKL today not all were from Air NZ there were some cancelled by Jetstar and Barrier Air as well.

planemanofnz

Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:27 am

Zkpilot wrote:
77W likely to hang around the fleet for several years at least

In which case, I wonder if there's any chance they'll get the new interiors ...

DavidByrne

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:23 am

Took the NZ flight AKL-HBA today and was surprised it was an A321. It wasn't full, but there were probably more pax aboard than would have fitted on an A320 from my estimation. Does this happen often? I guess it's a bit early to make those judgements after only a few weeks. My casual estimate was that there were three times as many NZ passport holders than Australian - about what I'd expect.

ZK-NBT

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:46 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

I wouldn’t have thought so, it will be interesting to see what they do come the mid 2020s when more 77Ws are scheduled to leave the fleet as to weather they order more 787s then or keep the 77Ws at least the owned ones going longer as by then they will be needing a refresh. A decision to refit them would have to be made fairly soon if that were to be the case. I think ultimately while I could see them staying slightly longer if the market is good that by that time they will be glad to get rid of them, late 2020s and have a single long haul type in the 787.

zkncj

Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:24 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Took the NZ flight AKL-HBA today and was surprised it was an A321. It wasn't full, but there were probably more pax aboard than would have fitted on an A320 from my estimation. Does this happen often? I guess it's a bit early to make those judgements after only a few weeks. My casual estimate was that there were three times as many NZ passport holders than Australian - about what I'd expect.

Probably do with they only have 6x A320NEO's and 7x A321NEO's so probably just the best aircraft that was available on the day.
The A320NEO's mainly operate ZQN/WLG/CHC to Aussie, with most of the A321NEO's calling AKL home at the end of the day.

ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

I wouldn’t have thought so, it will be interesting to see what they do come the mid 2020s when more 77Ws are scheduled to leave the fleet as to weather they order more 787s then or keep the 77Ws at least the owned ones going longer as by then they will be needing a refresh. A decision to refit them would have to be made fairly soon if that were to be the case. I think ultimately while I could see them staying slightly longer if the market is good that by that time they will be glad to get rid of them, late 2020s and have a single long haul type in the 787.

Ironically OKR/OKS are the same age as NZC/NZE/NZF,NZG

GW54

Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:38 pm

NZ516 wrote:
My points on the suggestion for all 7 Boeing 77Ws returning. It is highly likely that they will need all of them due to multiple factors. Greater demand than first expected 6 months ago. More of the existing 789 fleet are to be out on maintenance and repaint etc. Plus a further delivery delay on the new GE powered 789s is likely due to the increased backlog in production issues with Boeing. The first one may not arrive till mid 2024. There should be an update on this estimate soon (August). So Air NZ will have 21 wide body fleet by mid 2023

As regarding the 77Es I can't see them returning as pointed out above with all the complex problems that would create.

I suspect re activation of any 200's is water cooler discussion. Having said that we never expected to see 300's back as quickly either. 200's as a interim to assist with capacity do make some sense. A four aircraft fleet would allow double daily to Syd, Mel and Bne plus additional capacity into Rar,Nan and Per where perhaps the 300's offer to much capacity. The 200's had cabin re jigs just prior to Covid and from memory all have WIFI. For tech crew the 200's and 300's are common and pre Covid they flew both regularly as did cabin crew.

Zkpilot

Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:25 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Payoff time for new interior is typically around 6 years. If they can see them sticking around for close to that (likely IMHO) then yes, the sooner the better.
It really comes down to 2 things: 1) If Boeing is planning on a 7810ER/7811.
2) If NZ is considering A350.
If neither of those things then they’ll be wanting to sweat the 77W asset as much as possible and then see what the market is like in 5 years.
Remember that the 7810 are only really replacing the 77E fleet.

NZ516

Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:18 am

zkncj wrote:

I forgot that they are still relatively young. They could see another ten years of service easily then. They are too good of an aircraft to retire too early that's for sure.

NZ516

Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:27 am

GW54 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

I suspect re activation of any 200's is water cooler discussion. Having said that we never expected to see 300's back as quickly either. 200's as a interim to assist with capacity do make some sense. A four aircraft fleet would allow double daily to Syd, Mel and Bne plus additional capacity into Rar,Nan and Per where perhaps the 300's offer to much capacity. The 200's had cabin re jigs just prior to Covid and from memory all have WIFI. For tech crew the 200's and 300's are common and pre Covid they flew both regularly as did cabin crew.

I agree that it would be useful to have the 77Es back. But the points raised by the post by ZKPILOT make it unlikely that they will return now.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:29 am

Zkpilot wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Payoff time for new interior is typically around 6 years. If they can see them sticking around for close to that (likely IMHO) then yes, the sooner the better.
If neither of those things then they’ll be wanting to sweat the 77W asset as much as possible and then see what the market is like in 5 years.

Given they could announce a refit tomorrow and the 789 refit won’t start until 2024 so the 77W would be a similar timeframe say 2024 then they would need to be looking at 2030 which isn’t imo out of the question partly given there are so many 77Ws in service world wide and the replacement cycle hasn’t begun yet with a vast majority delivered from 2010-2016 ish timeframe.

NZ have said the 781 will replace the 77W, although we don’t know how many 781s they will get given the first will be 789s, NZ are it appears short of or going to be short of capacity. I am skeptical of any 77Es returning but it’s not impossible I guess.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:31 am

NZ516 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I forgot that they are still relatively young. They could see another ten years of service easily then. They are too good of an aircraft to retire too early that's for sure.

They are relatively young, just mix of owned leased gives options for when they retire the fleet

Zkpilot

Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:25 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Given they could announce a refit tomorrow and the 789 refit won’t start until 2024 so the 77W would be a similar timeframe say 2024 then they would need to be looking at 2030 which isn’t imo out of the question partly given there are so many 77Ws in service world wide and the replacement cycle hasn’t begun yet with a vast majority delivered from 2010-2016 ish timeframe.

NZ have said the 781 will replace the 77W, although we don’t know how many 781s they will get given the first will be 789s, NZ are it appears short of or going to be short of capacity. I am skeptical of any 77Es returning but it’s not impossible I guess.
no they said “the 7810 aren’t code for replacing the 77W” or words to that effect. The 7810 are to replace the 77E fleet and we’re ordered pre COVID. Now it may be that eventually they do end up replacing the 77W but I have serious doubts unless Boeing can seriously up the MTOW/range (that’s at least new gear if not new wing).

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:29 am

Zkpilot wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

no they said “the 7810 aren’t code for replacing the 77W” or words to that effect. The 7810 are to replace the 77E fleet and we’re ordered pre COVID. Now it may be that eventually they do end up replacing the 77W but I have serious doubts unless Boeing can seriously up the MTOW/range (that’s at least new gear if not new wing).

The previous CEO said the 781 is not code for replacing the 77W when they were ordered the 781 in 2019. That could have meant anything really. They took 7 options on top of that order. They have since indicated that the 787s on order which could all be 789s will replace the 77W. I would have to find where they said that. It would seem inevitable that they will need to order more of something though given the way demand has rebounded.

I’ll admit I was skeptical that the 77W would return at all when the second lockdown hit in 2021.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:43 am

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/air-nz ... outes/amp/

It’s not quite right as even the media can’t tell between FY or calendar year.

planemanofnz

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:05 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
The US routes will be interesting given a JV with UA but then AA going to DFW instead of LAX, not sure how they will do given the non existent O&D to DFW from AKL they give up the large West coast market

Maybe JQ could succeed where QF and AA could not (LAX-AKL).

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:26 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
The US routes will be interesting given a JV with UA but then AA going to DFW instead of LAX, not sure how they will do given the non existent O&D to DFW from AKL they give up the large West coast market

Maybe JQ could succeed where QF and AA could not (LAX-AKL).

AA just aren’t strong at LAX, the weakest of the 3 US majors. Although I am not sure they have given up on LAX-AKL for good or just for the moment until demand fully rebounds, they have SYD/LHR and previously PVG/TYO, PEK? And I thought a reasonable domestic operation?

QF definitely won’t return and tbh I don’t see JQ flying AKL-LAX, are they even allowed a flight that long on their 788s without a crew rest?

It is an interesting one as NZ have already increased AKL-LAX to 10 weekly 7x 77W, 3x 789 from August to end October, no LHR now so shows demand is strong to LAX, possibly at least seasonally needs more than a single flight on NZ metal going forward? You also have 3x SFO going 77W in September the day JFK starts.
3x IAH
3x YVR
3x HNL
UA resumes SFO 3 weekly 781 in early October, daily from October 30th. NZ will increase further over the NW, with 3x ORD and increases to SFO/IAH/YVR.

AA daily DFW from October 30th. It seems pretty good for now considering where we have been.

zkncj

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:41 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
QF definitely won’t return and tbh I don’t see JQ flying AKL-LAX, are they even allowed a flight that long on their 788s without a crew rest? .

QF’s a332 that service BNE-LAX don’t have proper crew rests either. QF got around that issue, by using New Zealand based crew.

I don’t think JQ will have to much of a issue, with that they typically use offshore based crews on the 788s.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:44 am

zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
QF definitely won’t return and tbh I don’t see JQ flying AKL-LAX, are they even allowed a flight that long on their 788s without a crew rest? .

QF’s a332 that service BNE-LAX don’t have proper crew rests either. QF got around that issue, by using New Zealand based crew.

I don’t think JQ will have to much of a issue, with that they typically use offshore based crews on the 788s.

They don’t no on QFs A332, I personally don’t think AKL-LAX is a JQ route though even if they were able to operate it.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:01 am

GW54 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

I agree it potentially does make some sense but at this stage the next 2 789 deliveries are in late 2023 and they could keep the 7th 77W. The 77E wouldn’t come back any faster than the 77W I wouldn’t think, so unless there are 787 delays it won’t happen imo.

The 77E could mainly allow additional short haul capacity but can also go to LAX/SFO but maybe the likes of HNL/DPS are more likely to free up 789s, the extra premium seats over the the code 1 789s might make LAX/SFO/IAH more likely?

Short haul even with 14 789 s and 6 77Ws you could have 3 short haul 77Ws daily most of the time, probably SYD/MEL/BNE and 4-5 789s as well to NAN/RAR/APW most days then the odd TBU etc and a second SYD in the morning, what will happen to the evening SYD/MEL-AKL departures as business traffic picks up? There was some mention of some sort of J or W on the A321? That is where 4 772s could come in handy.

Avtur

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:37 am

NZ516 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Not sure where I heard it (possibly on here) but weren’t OKR and OKS compensation, or favourable lease terms, due to late 787 delivery…?

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:24 am

Avtur wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Not sure where I heard it (possibly on here) but weren’t OKR and OKS compensation, or favourable lease terms, due to late 787 delivery…?

Not sure on that, initially the last 2 744s were going to be replaced by 789s, of which the first 789s arrived around the same time as OKR/OKS, so I don’t think it was that, just the SFO route needed more premium capacity than the 772 would have offered.

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:56 pm

NZ6 wrote:
NZ801 wrote:
I like Speights. I don’t anyone in NZ who actually drinks Steinlager. It’s like Fosters, a beer people associate with Australia but no Australian will be caught dead drinking!

It's all personal taste & preference. I almost agree with the poster who said Speights is a cheap Uni drink at least. However for me that mantle goes to the likes of Flame & Ice etc.

The likes of Speight & Tui are a step ahead of those and from what I've seen are well consumed in NZ. But they are also sold at that lower price point so likely explains a lot of that.

Steinlarger is a very well sold NZ larger, I know many who drink it. But aside from that, let's be honest there's very limited options if you want to showcase what we have to offer. Craft beer is simply too expensive and most of our other beers are cheap mass produced crap or international beers

We have a huge range of brewers, more than the UK per head of population if I'm not mistaken but the two big ones, let's look at their NZ range.

Lion:
  • Steinlarger
  • Lion Red
  • Lion Brown
  • Waikato
  • Ice
  • Black Ice
  • Rheineck

DB
  • DB Draught
  • Double Brown
  • Flame
  • Kiwi Larger
  • Montheiths
  • Tuatara
  • Tui

There's others like Macs etc but we also need to look at cost, does Macs produce beer in cans? cans are lighter than glass and easier to store.

But go back to what I said earlier and any current crew can jump in here. The number of pax wanting beer variety is shrinking and the preference for cider and craft is growing.

Macs was bought by Lion in 1999.

PA515

Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:13 pm

Air NZ A321-271NX ZK-OYB (msn 11049) D-AZAC was spotted in Hangar 14 at Finkenwerder on 20 July with a 'Star Alliance' tail.
https://digitalairliners.com

PA515

PA515

Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:57 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
SFwatchTower wrote:
What's in Amarillo Texas that ANZ seems to send 787 charters to?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz6001

there have been several LAX - AMA flights over the past couple of months.

Mainly repaints, I am not sure any other work is done there. At least 1 has positioned from IAH as well. Not actually sure how many have been through so far, 3-4 maybe?

A few months back Foran said ten were getting wing repaints this year, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Anyway, six so far and another going tomorrow.

ZK-NZJ (via LAX and LAX) 14 Jun to 20 Jun
ZK-NZI (via LAX and LAX) 21 Jun to 26 Jun
ZK-NZH (via LAX and IAH) 02 Jul to 09 Jul (was meant to go on 26 Jun via SFO but xld)
ZK-NZC (via IAH and LAX) 09 Jul to 15 Jul
ZK-NZG (via LAX and IAH) 15 Jul to 21 Jul
ZK-NZD (via IAH and LAX) 21 Jul to 27 Jul
ZK-NZK (via LAX and SFO?) 27 Jul to 02? Aug (no AKL-LAX or AKL-IAH 789 on 02 Aug)

ZK-NZE and ZK-NZF would complete the first nine 789s. Don't know if ZK-NZL or ZK-NZM are included in the ten or if it will be nine or eleven.

Also, ZK-NZJ, ZK-NZK and ZK-NZR are due for maintenance in SIN and will presumably get Wifi fitted. ZK-NZI was in SIN about two months ago.

PA515

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:07 pm

PA515 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
SFwatchTower wrote:
What's in Amarillo Texas that ANZ seems to send 787 charters to?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz6001

there have been several LAX - AMA flights over the past couple of months.

Mainly repaints, I am not sure any other work is done there. At least 1 has positioned from IAH as well. Not actually sure how many have been through so far, 3-4 maybe?

A few months back Foran said ten were getting wing repaints this year, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Anyway, six so far and another going tomorrow.

ZK-NZJ (via LAX and LAX) 14 Jun to 20 Jun
ZK-NZI (via LAX and LAX) 21 Jun to 26 Jun
ZK-NZH (via LAX and IAH) 02 Jul to 09 Jul (was meant to go on 26 Jun via SFO but xld)
ZK-NZC (via IAH and LAX) 09 Jul to 15 Jul
ZK-NZG (via LAX and IAH) 15 Jul to 21 Jul
ZK-NZD (via IAH and LAX) 21 Jul to 27 Jul
ZK-NZK (via LAX and SFO?) 27 Jul to 02? Aug (no AKL-LAX or AKL-IAH 789 on 02 Aug)

ZK-NZE and ZK-NZF would complete the first nine 789s. Don't know if ZK-NZL or ZK-NZM are included in the ten or if it will be nine or eleven.

Also, ZK-NZJ, ZK-NZK and ZK-NZR are due for maintenance in SIN and will presumably get Wifi fitted. ZK-NZI was in SIN about two months ago.

PA515

Great thanks PA515. Which aircraft now have WIfI?

NZ516

Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:18 pm

PA515 wrote:
Air NZ A321-271NX ZK-OYB (msn 11049) D-AZAC was spotted in Hangar 14 at Finkenwerder on 20 July with a 'Star Alliance' tail.
https://digitalairliners.com

PA515

Thanks for the news PA515. So they are getting a replacement for ZKOJH after all. I hope they can do a retro 321 in the old DC-8 livery. That would look stunning.
Also your 789 list has great level of detail very extensive. Cheers

DavidByrne

Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:00 am

NZ516 wrote:
I hope they can do a retro 321 in the old DC-8 livery. That would look stunning.
Also your 789 list has great level of detail very extensive. Cheers

Yes, the A321 is the closest thing I can imagine to a two-engined DC8. I would LOVE to see one in the 1965 livery.

a7ala

Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:13 am

Posted in the Australian Aviation Thread:

For NW22/23 Singapore Airlines will operate the following

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220726-sqnw22

In the same link, refers to AKL 10pw and CHC 1 daily (so around 2.5 per day into New Zealand - or 3.5 per day if you include Air NZ's AKL). I guess New Zealand is around the same population size as SYD or MEL where they are operating 4/day to each, so to have PER at 4/day and BNE at 3/day shows:
- How far ahead Australia is in the recovery than New Zealand
- The tyranny of distance
- The stronger level of competition in Australia

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:35 am

a7ala wrote:

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

In the same link, refers to AKL 10pw and CHC 1 daily (so around 2.5 per day into New Zealand - or 3.5 per day if you include Air NZ's AKL). I guess New Zealand is around the same population size as SYD or MEL where they are operating 4/day to each, so to have PER at 4/day and BNE at 3/day shows:

I read somewhere AKL was at 58% of pre covid capacity for SQ and they could see more being added, weather that happens or not I’m not sure, AKL will be 11x weekly, 7x 77W, 4x 359LH. They also have a JV with NZ who will run a daily 789 ex AKL, not sure if code 1 or 2 configuration, was mainly code 2 pre covid. It was said SQ were considering the A380 for AKL but that would probably come at the expense of the night service which offers good connections from Europe particularly.

WLG is gone, not returning and CHC loses the seasonal NZ service 5x weekly.

SYD/MEL were 5 daily, MEL, 33 weekly with 5x WLG service, all were long haul product A380/77W, SYD was 2x A380, 3x 77W now will be 1x A380, 1x 77W 2x regional A359, MEL was 4x 77W and 5x weekly A359 LH to WLG. BNE was 4 daily 3x regional A359, 1x A359LH now 3x regional A359 so all down and stuck with some regional A350s in SYD/MEL case while BNE doesn’t have a long haul A359.

Australia I think all of the above more competition more demand shorter flight, higher yield.

NZ801

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:48 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
a7ala wrote:

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

I read somewhere AKL was at 58% of pre covid capacity for SQ and they could see more being added, weather that happens or not I’m not sure, AKL will be 11x weekly, 7x 77W, 4x 359LH. They also have a JV with NZ who will run a daily 789 ex AKL, not sure if code 1 or 2 configuration, was mainly code 2 pre covid. It was said SQ were considering the A380 for AKL but that would probably come at the expense of the night service which offers good connections from Europe particularly.

SYD/MEL were 5 daily, MEL, 33 weekly with 5x WLG service, all were long haul product A380/77W, SYD was 2x A380, 3x 77W now will be 1x A380, 1x 77W 2x regional A359, MEL was 4x 77W and 5x weekly A359 LH to WLG. BNE was 4 daily 3x regional A359, 1x A359LH now 3x regional A359 so all down and stuck with some regional A350s in SYD/MEL case while BNE doesn’t have a long haul A359.

Australia I think all of the above more competition more demand shorter flight, higher yield.

CHC-SIN is loaded though not yet bookable on the NZ website. CHC NZ staff are planning for the return of the service.

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:29 am

NZ801 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
a7ala wrote:

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

CHC-SIN is loaded though not yet bookable on the NZ website. CHC NZ staff are planning for the return of the service.

It was bookable earlier as was the SQ service, neither have been bookable now for several weeks. Interesting if the NZ service is going to operate as well, not to surprising that CHC needs more capacity, no CX, CZ this year.

planemanofnz

Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:50 am

a7ala wrote:

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

When talking about the SQ Group, don't forget Scoot's flights to Australia too - for NW 22/23:

MEL - 12 weekly
SYD - 10 weekly
PER - 10 weekly
OOL - 3 weekly

A Simple Flying article earlier this month noted, "It would be interesting to see where Scoot will expand next. New Zealand could be a possibility ..."

https://simpleflying.com/scoot-direct-j ... esumption/

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:13 am

planemanofnz wrote:
a7ala wrote:

SYD - 4 daily
MEL - 4 daily
PER - 4 daily
BNE - 3 daily
ADL - 1 daily
CNS - 3 weekly
DRW - 3 weekly

When talking about the SQ Group, don't forget Scoot's flights to Australia too - for NW 22/23:

MEL - 12 weekly
SYD - 10 weekly
PER - 10 weekly
OOL - 3 weekly

A Simple Flying article earlier this month noted, "It would be interesting to see where Scoot will expand next. New Zealand could be a possibility ..."

I can’t see TR here in NZ tbh, The NZ market or SQ/NZ to that point in this case chase the higher end premium leisure tourist. Not sure the market is big enough for TR as well without affecting yields?

Australia is 7-8 hrs from SIN, PER closer, and a huge market. They have ATH and TXL which are leisure markets in the case of ATH where SQ don’t operate anymore, TXL is interesting not so sure on that, doesn’t have the yield of FRA or MUC, SQ also served DUS pre covid for a while.

NZ516

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:10 am

The inter terminal walkway at AKL airport will be back by the end of the month.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/129 ... ls-is-back

DavidByrne

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:18 am

planemanofnz wrote:

Simple Flying is . . . well, simple. It seems to be written for the lowest common denominator and is always full of speculation and "what ifs". Yes, New Zealand could be a possibility, but then again almost anywhere else might be as well.

NZ321

Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:17 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Simple Flying is . . . well, simple. It seems to be written for the lowest common denominator and is always full of speculation and "what ifs". Yes, New Zealand could be a possibility, but then again almost anywhere else might be as well.

My sentiments exactly.

NZ801

Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:55 pm

Confirmation today that CHC-SIN on NZ will not be operating this summer (NW). SQ will be daily.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos