Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SuperGee
Topic Author

DL Offers $10,000 Each For 8 Volunteers To Leave Overbooked GRR-MSP Flight

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:45 am

The offer started at $5,000 and when enough people didn't volunteer, DL increased it to $7,500 then to $10,000. They ended up paying 8 volunteers $10,000 each. They could still take DL's next flight. DL flies A321's, Embraer's and Bombardier CRJ's on this route. This was the early morning flight which was likely a Embraer 17x/19x. Round trip for for this trip this week has been around $300 to $430 according to FlightsFrom.com.

I'd have been willing to miss a lot of things (especially a wedding or a funeral) for that offer.

>>...Jason Aten, a tech columnist at Inc. magazine, wrote he was sitting on the outbound plane for waiting for the aircraft to leave the gate when a flight attendant got on the intercom. The crew was looking for eight volunteers to give up their seats on the "apparently oversold" flight, offering them $10,000 each.

>>“If you have Apple Pay, you’ll even have the money right now,” the flight attendant said, Aten wrote...<<

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2 ... 785941001/

32andBelow

Re: DL Offers $10,000 Each For 8 Volunteers To Leave Overbooked GRR-MSP Flight

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:02 am

Holy crap. How did 8 people not accept 5,000?!

DeltaWings

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:44 am

When will they offer this again?

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:51 am

They actually gave money and not flight credits? Wow, they definitely wanted to bump people.

Chasensfo

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:57 am

Wow. The IDB penalties don't even scratch the surface of $10k per person on a route like that, I am a bit dumbfounded thinking back to ticketing classes and my gate agent days lol. Must be more to the story about why DL was so desperate to get this flight out without involuntarily bumping people.

santi319

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:42 am

Amazing to think flight attendants are also gate agents now and offer money.. how very People Express of Skywest!

WeatherPilot

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:59 am

I’m guessing with the pilot shortage this was more about DL saving as much time as possible to get that flight in the air. Those passengers weren’t cooperating and so DL just kept pushing til they found their price. Those pilots and that plane I’m sure had other turns to do that day.

mia977

Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:52 pm

Something doesn't smell right with this story. Haven't trolled the net for other stories on it but does would find it very unusual that Delta would authorize its agents to offer $10,000 in compensation. In my many years working flights I think the highest voucher amount we were allowed to do was $1,000 and maybe $2,000 with management approval. Much easier just to do involuntary denied boarding and call it a day. Used to have to write the checks to the involuntarily bumped passengers afterwards and most were happy when I handed them checks from $200 to $800 or more depending on the fares they paid. Only situation I could see where you might be forced to pay above the company stipulated maximums is with a weight restriction....that one can be a little difficult as its a go/ no go if you cant pull peeps off the plane. Even that one has a solution.....a big no no but just pull some luggage off and deal with the tracer! And by the way....why would anyone be so desperate to get to MSP....nice place but christ its not like the flight to SKB where the typical cliental is very rich (and arrogant!!) or on honeymoon and no compensation will sway them to get off!! By the way if this really happened it sets a very bad precedent for future oversold flights as people will think this is the norm. Its really nice to provide good customer service but at some point you gotta draw the line!!

Chasensfo

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:08 pm

santi319 wrote:
Amazing to think flight attendants are also gate agents now and offer money.. how very People Express of Skywest!

I had to get on board planes due to weight restrictions and oversales not noticed until the last minute due to pax (usually interline) being not checked in, and I would make the announcement over the PA. I wonder if they THOUGHT it was an F/A.

jplatts

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:22 pm

DL could rebook passengers onto AA/UA connecting flights to GRR from MSP through ORD for far less money if enough seats were available on the AA/UA flights.

atcsundevil

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:26 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
Wow. The IDB penalties don't even scratch the surface of $10k per person on a route like that, I am a bit dumbfounded thinking back to ticketing classes and my gate agent days lol. Must be more to the story about why DL was so desperate to get this flight out without involuntarily bumping people.

IDB is a reportable DOT statistic. Voluntary offers obviously aren't reported since it's not denied boarding. This weekend is a particularly sensitive time for airlines and the FAA given the finger-pointing of who's to blame for operational issues lately. If airlines are racking up IDBs, it takes one out of the win column for their argument in the court of public opinion. This is pure speculation, but they may have been authorized to offer whatever it takes so that they don't IDB anyone. Everyone is working much harder than usual to have their ducks in a row this weekend so that no one is giving ammunition to the "other side". The amount of things requiring documentation and extra attention this weekend are fairly unprecedented.

santi319

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:27 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
santi319 wrote:

I had to get on board planes due to weight restrictions and oversales not noticed until the last minute due to pax (usually interline) being not checked in, and I would make the announcement over the PA. I wonder if they THOUGHT it was an F/A.

I’m sure this piece is not wrong at all! This is award winning journalism right there!!

jjbiv

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:39 pm

Airlines are terrified of another Dr. Dao event and the negative PR that brings so will offer very high VDB compensation to avoid an IDB situation.

bluefrog

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:49 pm

i still think this over booking thing is disgusting but imagine getting bumped then on the other flight they ask again i'd jump at it for the right price especially if you had nothing to urgent planned at your arrival like getting home to the wife !! LOL

Aliqiout

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:50 pm

mia977 wrote:
Something doesn't smell right with this story. Haven't trolled the net for other stories on it but does would find it very unusual that Delta would authorize its agents to offer $10,000 in compensation. In my many years working flights I think the highest voucher amount we were allowed to do was $1,000 and maybe $2,000 with management approval. Much easier just to do involuntary denied boarding and call it a day. Used to have to write the checks to the involuntarily bumped passengers afterwards and most were happy when I handed them checks from $200 to $800 or more depending on the fares they paid. Only situation I could see where you might be forced to pay above the company stipulated maximums is with a weight restriction....that one can be a little difficult as its a go/ no go if you cant pull peeps off the plane. Even that one has a solution.....a big no no but just pull some luggage off and deal with the tracer! And by the way....why would anyone be so desperate to get to MSP....nice place but christ its not like the flight to SKB where the typical cliental is very rich (and arrogant!!) or on honeymoon and no compensation will sway them to get off!! By the way if this really happened it sets a very bad precedent for future oversold flights as people will think this is the norm. Its really nice to provide good customer service but at some point you gotta draw the line!!

It was pretty widely reported a few years ago when DL and other airlines drastically increased the maximum allowable compensation to $10,000 in response to the UA incident.

nws2002

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:02 pm

jjbiv wrote:
Airlines are terrified of another Dr. Dao event and the negative PR that brings so will offer very high VDB compensation to avoid an IDB situation.

This. The airline I work for has an internal policy that requires VP approval to IDB anyone. Usually, the instruction is to keep raising the VDB compensation until volunteers are found.

FGITD

Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:39 pm

bluefrog wrote:
i still think this over booking thing is disgusting but imagine getting bumped then on the other flight they ask again i'd jump at it for the right price especially if you had nothing to urgent planned at your arrival like getting home to the wife !! LOL

Had this happen with one guy at my old airline. We weren’t offering $10k, but a few hundred plus a hotel and meal vouchers. I think it worked out 3 days in a row before finally he didn’t have a choice. Worked well for us since it kept the VDB offer down, fixed the over sale, and he was happy to make some money and have a few extra days.

$10k is insane though. I don’t care where or why I’m traveling, they offer me that money and I’m gladly taking it.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:43 pm

My old employer required the boarding pass to prove travel. Wrong boarding pass, denied boarding money was their’s.

Q

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:42 am

It is so nice to have $10K Delta can return making some money if volunteer made reservation trips to Europe on Delta flights. LOL

Q

PatrickZ80

Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:23 pm

bluefrog wrote:

I agree, overbooking shouldn't be allowed in the first place. But then again, if passengers don't show up for their flight, their ticket should void. As a passenger it's your own responsibility to be on time for the flight you booked. There is a seat reserved for you on that specific flight, not on another flight. You miss your flight, you buy a new ticket. Simple as that. If you aren't on time for your flight, your seat goes empty. To the airline this makes no difference, the seat has been paid for regardless if it's being used or not.

The excuse that airlines need to overbook in order to achieve load factors is bullshit! Ryanair doesn't overbook and they always have good load factors, that's because just about every passenger that bought a ticket with them actually shows up. Their number of no-shows is near zero, in fact for most of their flights it is zero. Every single booked passenger shows up, leaving no room for overbooking.

Unfortunately many airlines are trying to be too flexible and this is the result of it. Flexible airlines have a way higher number of no-shows than non-flexible airlines.

eta unknown

Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:35 pm

Ryanair is overbooking although I think it's a fairly new problem- it could be an operational issue this summer, but it is happening.

AirKevin

Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:17 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
But then again, if passengers don't show up for their flight, their ticket should void. As a passenger it's your own responsibility to be on time for the flight you booked. There is a seat reserved for you on that specific flight, not on another flight. You miss your flight, you buy a new ticket. Simple as that. If you aren't on time for your flight, your seat goes empty. To the airline this makes no difference, the seat has been paid for regardless if it's being used or not.

So what happens in the event of a misconnect or a flight being cancelled altogether.

ibthebigd

Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:48 pm

Or got stuck in traffic near the airport even when they would have arrived 2+ hours early?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

AirKevin

Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:53 am

ibthebigd wrote:
Or got stuck in traffic near the airport even when they would have arrived 2+ hours early?

This was actually quite the kerfuffle at LGA many years ago. They were doing major construction, and the traffic was so bad people actually left their taxis on the Grand Central Parkway and walked to the terminal.