Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

3D101CA
Topic Author

EVA Air to Munich and Milan

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:39 pm

EVA Air will be flying to Munich and Milan this year.

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220705-br4q22eu

EVA Air scheduled TPE-MXP back in 2020, but it's now being relaunched again. TPE-MUC was discussed before by EVA Air, but nice to see it launch.

When it comes to Europe, EVA Air has overall had a small presence and never launched any new destinations for a long time. What was the last destination EVA launched to Europe before MUC and MXP?

Both of these routes are being flown nonstop from TPE, without a stop in BKK. Could we see LHR, AMS, and VIE go nonstop from TPE in the future? TPE-VIE is served three times a week nonstop, but TPE-BKK-VIE is still operated four weekly.

TPE can sustain nonstop flights to Europe, but EVA Air hasn't made all european routes nonstop yet.

bzcat

Re: EVA Air to Munich and Milan

Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:57 pm

I think VIE-BKK will stay because BR has made quite a business out of it. But new destinations will probably all be non-stop from TPE.

smi0006

Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:33 pm

It’s always interesting me how BR can make the mini hub in BKK work I assume competing against fellow star partner TG. Apart from VIE, what else stops in BKK these days?

I assume it’s a historical stop due to being unable to fly over China back in the day? I think they even have a crew base in BKK?

Hope we see them back in SYD, or even MEL one day again!

hayzel777

Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:52 pm

smi0006 wrote:
It’s always interesting me how BR can make the mini hub in BKK work I assume competing against fellow star partner TG. Apart from VIE, what else stops in BKK these days?

I assume it’s a historical stop due to being unable to fly over China back in the day? I think they even have a crew base in BKK?

They have Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese crew members in addition to the local Taiwan crew but only Japanese crew are technically “based” in Japan. Thai/Vietnamese crew fly all over the system and their schedules are TPE based but the airline will route them back to SGN/HAN/BKK throughout the month as best they can.

frank1991

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:29 pm

great addition to BR's network!

bzcat

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:50 pm

smi0006 wrote:

BKK started as a necessity because BR cannot overfly China. But that restriction was lifted a long time ago so the reason BKK hub continue to exist is because it is clearly profitable.

BR operated (and I think still operates) LHR, AMS, and VIE to BKK but demand between Europe and BKK pre-COVID was big enough so not only TG and BR can both thrive, you also have several European carriers plus ME3 offering one stop.

BR has mixed non-stop and BKK service between TPE and Europe so basically there are one or two daily Europe-BKK and one daily Europe-TPE flights. It works pretty well from both European point of sales (mainly to BKK) and TPE point of sales (to Europe). With addition of 4x weekly MUC and 2x weekly MXP, it will be up to 2x daily non-stop between TPE and Europe.

Non-stop: VIE, CDG, MUC, MXP
Via BKK: LHR, AMS, VIE

There is a crew base in BKK but the crews are not restricted to BKK-Europe. They basically fly throughout the entire system. Typical rotation maybe BKK-TPE-HKG-TPE-LAX-TPE-BKK over 10 days. It's actually one of the sore point of relations between EVA and its TPE base union... BR can replace them with Southeast Asian crew most of them speaks Mandarin and some even speaks Taiwanese.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos