Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

phlswaflyer
Topic Author

Updated: Qatar orders 25 Boeing 737 Max 10, plus 25 options

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:46 pm

Duh - didn't see that coming. Qatar will NEVER have 737 in the fleet.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-qatar- ... CU0G3-lfYu

chiad

Re: Qatar MOU for 737's Expires

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:07 pm

IMO Mr Baker bluffed and lost.

JohanTally

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:15 pm

phlswaflyer wrote:

QR never intended in having it in their fleet but rather at an undisclosed subsidiary.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... subsidiary

BoeingG

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:30 pm

Questions:

Does this suggest QR was bluffing to begin with?
Couldn't QR submit a new MOU if it wanted?
Is the MAX an adequate substitute for the NEO (vis-à-vis QR's modus operandi)?

hiflyeras

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:50 pm

Airbus hates QR…QR spurns Boeing. What do they plan on flying? COMAC?

lightsaber

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:55 pm

BoeingG wrote:
Questions:

I suspect negotiations are... AAB's normal. I wouldn't read too much into this. An MOU isn't worth the paper its written on.

Lightsaber

TWA772LR

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:57 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

Qatar buys the western components and the Russian components separately and assembles SSJs in Qatar.

Polot

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:57 pm

lightsaber wrote:
BoeingG wrote:
Questions:

I suspect negotiations are... AAB's normal. I wouldn't read too much into this. An MOU isn't worth the paper its written on.

Lightsaber

Yes, especially since this is a tactic that QR is using to avoid submitting documents in a court case.

scbriml

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:59 pm

chiad wrote:
IMO Mr Baker bluffed and lost.

It always looked like a tactical move to put pressure on Airbus. If QR had been really serious, it would have been a firm order immediately.

I would venture that Al Baker doesn't play poker.

scbriml

Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:14 pm

BoeingG wrote:
Questions:

Yes, as many suspected.
Yes, of course.
Mainly, but the MAX 10 falls short of the A321neo's capabilities and all QR's outstanding orders were for A321s before Airbus cancelled them.

scbriml

Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:18 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

It also shouldn't be forgotten that QR had previously ordered MAX and cancelled them!

They ordered 20 MAX-8's then decided to sub-lease them to Air Italy before cancelling them after the grounding. Only three were delivered and are now in storage at Budapest. Another two were built, but have been taken back by Boeing.

zkojq

Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:37 pm

Airbus requested a copy of the Boeing 737 MAX agreement after the airline brought it up as part of its bid for compensation for damage to the A350, now worth $1.4 billion. But Qatar Airways rejected the request on the grounds that the Boeing deal had now "expired", Airbus said in a UK court filing.

Fun way for Airbus to see what pricing Boeing is supposedly offering the MAX at. I'm sure executives at Airbus got a pleasant chuckle out of it. ;)

CALMSP

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:29 pm

it will all be ok, this will allow AAB to do another splashy press release to boast about himself.

Pelly

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:38 pm

A lapsed MoU does not mean an order won't happen.

DartHerald

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 pm

It seems to me QR are skating on very thin ice! If they don't renew their MoU before Delta place their 737-10 order they must be at risk of being displaced to well down the delivery slot queue.

YellowJ

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:57 pm

scbriml wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

It also shouldn't be forgotten that QR had previously ordered MAX and cancelled them!

They ordered 20 MAX-8's then decided to sub-lease them to Air Italy before cancelling them after the grounding. Only three were delivered and are now in storage at Budapest. Another two were built, but have been taken back by Boeing.

Of course Air Italy folding had nothing do with it right. :roll:

Air Italy folded in Feb 2020, Qatar revealed in June they no longer had a need for the MAX with Air Italy gone.
https://simpleflying.com/qatar-airways-boeing-737-max-cancellation/

capshandler

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:37 pm

Akbar All-Backer.

smi0006

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:54 pm

Imagine how much more successful QR could be, with their geography and resources behind them— I’d AAB didn’t proactively of out his way to screw and piss off suppliers…. I’d he actually built strategic and sustainable business relationships!!!

Polot

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:08 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Imagine how much more successful QR could be, with their geography and resources behind them— I’d AAB didn’t proactively of out his way to screw and piss off suppliers…. I’d he actually built strategic and sustainable business relationships!!!

QR is pretty successful as is considering Doha is no Dubai (“Boring” is probably the adjective I’ve heard most about the city from people who have visited or lived there).

jetlaggedAF

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:18 pm

This was never going to happen unless the MAX-10 was available for immediate delivery. That's not the case and this is all just part of the larger Kabuki act QR is engaged in with Airbus. The shakedown for money they had planned on the A350s did not pan out and they lost their A32x build slots to add to their woes. All thats left is for AAB to find some sort of face saving mechanism that lets him back down without looking like a complete fool. My guess is there is an imminent settlement deal in the works that has Airbus restoring QRs A32x slots, the 4 A35K NTUs and agreeing to quickly fix the surface finishes on the grounded plane. QR would have their captive regulator withdraw the grounding order, make all overdue payments and maybe place orders for more A350s on top of what they already have.

StTim

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:34 pm

jetlaggedAF wrote:
This was never going to happen unless the MAX-10 was available for immediate delivery. That's not the case and this is all just part of the larger Kabuki act QR is engaged in with Airbus. The shakedown for money they had planned on the A350s did not pan out and they lost their A32x build slots to add to their woes. All thats left is for AAB to find some sort of face saving mechanism that lets him back down without looking like a complete fool. My guess is there is an imminent settlement deal in the works that has Airbus restoring QRs A32x slots, the 4 A35K NTUs and agreeing to quickly fix the surface finishes on the grounded plane. QR would have their captive regulator withdraw the grounding order, make all overdue payments and maybe place orders for more A350s on top of what they already have.

Except that Airbus have resold the NTU A350's so they are not available for Qatar to have.

smi0006

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:57 pm

Polot wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

QR is pretty successful as is considering Doha is no Dubai (“Boring” is probably the adjective I’ve heard most about the city from people who have visited or lived there).

Oh yeah - I know, don’t get me wrong I think they are successful, I probs mean they are successful despite having AAB at the helm?

Imagine their potential with a leader not a dictator at the helm!

3D101CA

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:00 pm

AAB is honestly one of the most annoying airline CEO's I have ever seen. There is always some kind of negative attention around him, and he gets a lot of bad press coverage.

Qf648

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:36 pm

Does it matter? Emirates would be absolutely estatic about this, as would Etihad

Potentially looking at a complete collapse if the a350 judgment doesn’t swing thier way

Lootess

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:42 pm

I normally like AAB, his pursuit of perfection for a great customer experience was always his hallmark. But this one got a bit silly, and I wouldn't be surprised they let the MOU lapse because MAX 10 is still a paper airplane.

WesternDC6B

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:43 pm

DartHerald wrote:
It seems to me QR are skating on very thin ice! If they don't renew their MoU before Delta place their 737-10 order they must be at risk of being displaced to well down the delivery slot queue.

Maybe Delta or another airline will be happy to sell some of those slots. At a good price, of course!

Maybe AAB can ask Tupolev to blow the dust off the blueprints for the 134... :duck:

Jomar777

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:21 am

I am surprised like most.
But I wonder if this is not a manouver to avoid meetring Airbus' legal requests for the order properly.
Many here state that this is AAB's way to do business but they forget that this was mainly announced in part by Sheik Tamin Bin Hamad Al Thani himself. I would not be surprised if the order is actually genuine but that the real paperwork has not been disclosed.
To be a typical AAB's bluf, he would not go full hog and get the Emir of Qatar to basically headline that order during one of his visits to the USA.
But maybe I am really wrong... that's all

JerseyFlyer

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:57 am

It would have cost little, if anything, to renew the LOI. There must be a reason for not doing so.

I suspect a near term deal with Airbus is likely.

DartHerald

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:06 am

JerseyFlyer wrote:
It would have cost little, if anything, to renew the LOI. There must be a reason for not doing so.

I suspect a near term deal with Airbus is likely.

Well, Farnborough is nearly upon us......

frigatebird

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:46 am

zkojq wrote:
Airbus requested a copy of the Boeing 737 MAX agreement after the airline brought it up as part of its bid for compensation for damage to the A350, now worth $1.4 billion. But Qatar Airways rejected the request on the grounds that the Boeing deal had now "expired", Airbus said in a UK court filing.

Fun way for Airbus to see what pricing Boeing is supposedly offering the MAX at. I'm sure executives at Airbus got a pleasant chuckle out of it. ;)

I heard Airbus offered to compensate QR for the additional cost of the MAX-10 vs their now cancelled A321neo order. But then QR needed to prove they would incur additional cost - and submit the MoU as evidence to the court. I'm sure Boeing wouldn't like that - if the MoU indeed would give full price details. If it didn't enough to prove the additional cost for QR, it would be worthless as evidence and Airbus could simply deny QR's claim. So it was not in the interest of neither Boeing nor QR to submit details of the MoU, and they could simply agree to terminate it immediately. Of course, nothing could stop them to renew the MoU on the same terms of even place an order after the court case.

jetlaggedAF wrote:
My guess is there is an imminent settlement deal in the works that has Airbus restoring QRs A32x slots, the 4 A35K NTUs and agreeing to quickly fix the surface finishes on the grounded plane. QR would have their captive regulator withdraw the grounding order, make all overdue payments and maybe place orders for more A350s on top of what they already have.

Pretty sure eventually there will be a settlement indeed. Details will be interesting though. Agree with most of your predictions. Not so sure about the A321neo order, seems Airbus really don't want/need QR as A321neo customer. The 4 A35K orders will be re-ordered I'm sure. Not the original ones, but new delivery slots at the end of the queue.

StTim wrote:
Except that Airbus have resold the NTU A350's so they are not available for Qatar to have.

I missed that, which airline will take the QR A350 NTU's?

Qf648 wrote:
Potentially looking at a complete collapse if the a350 judgment doesn’t swing thier way

Of course not. I see many posters on this and previous thread wanting this to happen, but QR is not dependant on the outcome of this case to survive.

Lootess wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised they let the MOU lapse because MAX 10 is still a paper airplane.

No it's real flying airplane. But certification is an issue. That's discussed in another thread though.

StTim

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:53 am

frigatebird wrote:
zkojq wrote:

I heard Airbus offered to compensate QR for the additional cost of the MAX-10 vs their now cancelled A321neo order. But then QR needed to prove they would incur additional cost - and submit the MoU as evidence to the court. I'm sure Boeing wouldn't like that - if the MoU indeed would give full price details. If it didn't enough to prove the additional cost for QR, it would be worthless as evidence and Airbus could simply deny QR's claim. So it was not in the interest of neither Boeing nor QR to submit details of the MoU, and they could simply agree to terminate it immediately. Of course, nothing could stop them to renew the MoU on the same terms of even place an order after the court case.

jetlaggedAF wrote:
My guess is there is an imminent settlement deal in the works that has Airbus restoring QRs A32x slots, the 4 A35K NTUs and agreeing to quickly fix the surface finishes on the grounded plane. QR would have their captive regulator withdraw the grounding order, make all overdue payments and maybe place orders for more A350s on top of what they already have.

Pretty sure eventually there will be a settlement indeed. Details will be interesting though. Agree with most of your predictions. Not so sure about the A321neo order, seems Airbus really don't want/need QR as A321neo customer. The 4 A35K orders will be re-ordered I'm sure. Not the original ones, but new delivery slots at the end of the queue.

StTim wrote:

Qf648 wrote:

Of course not. I see many posters on this and previous thread wanting this to happen, but QR is not dependant on the outcome of this case to survive.

Lootess wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised they let the MOU lapse because MAX 10 is still a paper airplane.

No it's real flying airplane. But certification is an issue. That's discussed in another thread though.

It would seem I was conflating Qatar with Aeroflot - which have been resold.

accentra

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:10 am

StTim wrote:
frigatebird wrote:
zkojq wrote:

jetlaggedAF wrote:

StTim wrote:

Qf648 wrote:

Lootess wrote:

It would seem I was conflating Qatar with Aeroflot - which have been resold.

Reuters and others are suggesting that the cancelled (by Airbus) QR A350-1000s might be going to Air India, as part of a much bigger Airbus/Air India order, possibly to be announced soon. Discussion of that possibility has been ongoing in other threads.

Lootess

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:29 pm

frigatebird wrote:
zkojq wrote:

jetlaggedAF wrote:

StTim wrote:

Qf648 wrote:

Lootess wrote:

Not at this rate, considering yesterday Calhoun said they can just cancel the MAX 10 over not making it by December deadline. Forever making it a paper airplane.

parrotta

Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:56 pm

scbriml wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

July 9 I made a photo, they are in BUD.

PhilipBass

Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:26 pm

If they negotiated a good price on the airframes they should be taking them to make their balance sheet look good.
737max and a320neos are in demand and should command a premium...if they negotiated a good price.

STT757

Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:02 pm

phlswaflyer wrote:

Qatar places a firm order for 25 737 Max 10 plus 25 options.

IndianicWorld

Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:34 pm

STT757 wrote:
phlswaflyer wrote:

It’s not like they had much choice so this had to be the move they had to make.

Airbus wasn’t going to deal with them, so if they need airplanes, the MAX was the only way they could go.

phlswaflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:53 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
STT757 wrote:
phlswaflyer wrote:

Airbus wasn’t going to deal with them, so if they need airplanes, the MAX was the only way they could go.

NO one is more shocked than ME. I am still skeptical they will take them...

phlswaflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:53 pm

STT757 wrote:
phlswaflyer wrote:

randomdude83

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:06 pm

phlswaflyer wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
STT757 wrote:

They'll take them and the MAX 10 will probably end up being the most reliable fleet they have after all the scrutiny it went through.

Also keep in mind Fly Dubai flies the Max so its not a product that stands out in the region as inferior or anything. if anything maybe Qatar needs to approach this like Emirates did, narrow body is Fly Qatar and wide bodies as Qatar airways. just a thought.

phlswaflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:38 pm

randomdude83 wrote:
phlswaflyer wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

They'll take them and the MAX 10 will probably end up being the most reliable fleet they have after all the scrutiny it went through.

Also keep in mind Fly Dubai flies the Max so its not a product that stands out in the region as inferior or anything. if anything maybe Qatar needs to approach this like Emirates did, narrow body is Fly Qatar and wide bodies as Qatar airways. just a thought.

Yep, great points....

RyanairGuru

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:48 pm

randomdude83 wrote:
phlswaflyer wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

FlyDubai is an entirely separate airline (not a subsidiary of Emirates) and is a hybrid-LCC.

Qatar Airways A320s are very much Qatar Airways and basically the same onboard product as the widebody fleet. Very different business model.

A better comparison is SQ, who have rebranded SilkAir as mainline Singapore Airlines. They didn’t think twice about putting the SQ brand on the MAX, and QR won’t either.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos