Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Doncaster Sheffield airport to close on 31 October 2022

Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:38 am

The airport has concluded aviation at DSA may no longer be viable. Or in other words, the airport may close. A consultation is taking place... but UK law usually requires a formal consultation before doing anything. Often the consultation is no more than being seen to comply with law, even when a decision has already been made

https://flydsa.co.uk/latest-news/strate ... nouncement

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-62149511

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doncaster ... ld_Airport
Last edited by qf789 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New information

icelander

Re: Doncaster Sheffield airport - possible closure

Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:28 pm

This would be the biggest UK loss post-covid. Carlisle (CAX) and Anglesey (VLY) have already gone.
With the withdrawal of aircraft by Wizz, it is unfortunately no real surprise.

BangersAndMash

Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:38 pm

Seems more like Peel Group either wants to offload the asset and force the local authorities to put their hand in the kitty, or, based on the press release, possibly use the land for other activities.

Covid and the Wizz Air pullout seems like a lame excuse to me. DSA had 1.4M pax pre-Covid (and pre-Wizz base). Peel should be able to run it profitably with that kind of footfall.

SueD

Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:10 pm

Peel couldn’t give a fig about their airport assets beyond land values.
They have tried to poach freight from EMA with a little success on ad-hoc flights that MAG group struggles with, however other than a regular flower flight from Nairobi haven’t made a much of a dent to be honest.

If the terminal were to close I’d expect TUI To return down the road to Humberside.

To me it never made any sense as a facility WITHOUT closing the runway on a hill airport above Leeds an airport with a host of operational issues including cross and high winds mist and fog.

CWL757

Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:12 pm

icelander wrote:
This would be the biggest UK loss post-covid. Carlisle (CAX) and Anglesey (VLY) have already gone.
With the withdrawal of aircraft by Wizz, it is unfortunately no real surprise.

VLY is very much an active airport still. The sole route to CWL was never what the airport was dependent on, they didn't even have a proper terminal. The RAF use it extensively. CAX was always going to be a failure long before covid unfortunately.

gravytrain

Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:34 pm

No major loss tbh losing cash, the market is oversaturated and those wanting to stay in the industry have plenty of alternatives in the region. LBA and EMA are hardly flourishing either so could do with a little less competition. Wouldn't surprise me if this is the impetus for Wizz to open up at MAN.

CWL757

Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:01 pm

I do agree that other than jobs, DSA's demise wouldn't be a big loss. The airports been all but dead for years anyway.

c152sy

Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:12 pm

As a Sheffielder, I'm hardly surprised. Both East Midlands and Manchester Airports are within very easy reach of the city by both car and public transport (arguably more so than DSA!). Leeds Bradford and Humberside a little less so, but still easily doable. In fact, most people I know in the city tend to overlook DSA for MAN.

That said, with 2Excel having a major base there and the airport being rather popular for airlines undertaking base training, plus the odd cargo flight, I would be a little surprised if it closed entirely. Instead, I reckon the terminal will shut and the airport close to scheduled passenger flights.

SEU

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:01 pm

It would be a shame to see DSA close, as it is with any airport closure, however I do echo what other people have said, it wouldn't be a huge loss for pax in the local area.

However I am surprised that they have announced this, considering there is still a healthy number of commercial flights (A quick FR24 says roughly 14-18 flights a day) with Wizzair, TUI, Trade Air, Enter Air and European air charter. They also have a few cargo charters this week with two 747s from Astral and dozens of private charters and the 2Excel 727.

There are plenty of airports that have much less service than this and are still viable, are Peel trying to sell up or?

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:11 pm

It's possible that Peel think that demolishing the airport, and building houses plus a bit of light industrial would be more profitable. It is highly unlikely that Peel would sell the land with the airport intact

f4f3a

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:37 pm

Would be a shame if it closes. Would this put the vulcan there at risk. Also its a good diversion runway when uk gets strong southerly winds

mrbonfire

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:43 pm

gravytrain wrote:
No major loss tbh losing cash, the market is oversaturated and those wanting to stay in the industry have plenty of alternatives in the region. LBA and EMA are hardly flourishing either so could do with a little less competition. Wouldn't surprise me if this is the impetus for Wizz to open up at MAN.

Absolutely. Not adding much to the local enconomy either. I'm assuming local worthies will be trying to get some sort of deal together to save the airport like MME but probably a losr cause.

Who's made it work? Only TUI, an outbound charter operator. Not adding much there.

There's Wizz but they jumped. Arguably the E European flights remain but these are aimed at the migrant workers (maybe capacity will shift to EMA, MAN as you indicate)

FlyBe were due to scale down before their demise anyway. Arguably they didn't add much either to the local economy anyway (whenever I took the flights they were essentially TUI flights except the noisy kids were replaced with tanked up lager louts going to AMS etc).

Ryanair didn't hang around. EI neither.

All in allm the airport has always been the wrong side of the pennines to work. The (well off) population is in MAN, LPL, LBA. Sheffield had direct link to MAN (let's see if it returns...)

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 am

Airport to effectively close to commercial airlines from 31 October 2022
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-63033676

OA260

Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:13 am

Sad news but it was doubtful it would be saved.

readytotaxi

Re: Doncaster Sheffield airport to close on 31 October 2022

Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:43 am

Did the near by Amazon hub use the airport at all? Guess it will become like Manston airport.

Gfgdfgv

Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:59 am

Upsetting news indeed. Used DSA countless times, despite living nearer to LBA its always been a doddle to get to and convenient to use - could go from the car park to the Costa coffee overlooking the runway in 15 minutes (although granted I walk fast!)
Do the local politicians have any more cards to play?

oldannyboy

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:52 pm

You just have to love how politicians call it 'a shame', yet nobody gave a toss about the airport for years, or worked towards linking the airport better.

gravytrain

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:06 pm

Are wizz moving to Leeds?

flyingphil

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:28 pm

It is the home to one of the three ex-RAF Vulcans that are kept in taxi able condition with the others at Southend and Wellesborne.
Raises the possibility of a final ferry flight by the Vulcan to a new home... but I guess this saga still has a long way to play out.
The Manston saga has been dragging on for years...
http://thisisflight.net/2022/08/15/vulc ... t-in-2023/

Chasensfo

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:30 pm

As an outsider, if all those TUI Airways destinations are still active, it seems rather odd that the airport should be closed suddenly. Here in the US, that airport would be much busier than various smaller commercial airports like SCK, STC, etc in the US which would be considered rather successful if they had Transatlantic flights! I had no idea DSA-MLB was operating, by the way, that is cool.

There is open land all over the place there with road access, why close an airport that has attracted a decent number of ULCC flights?

noviorbis77

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
Sad news but it was doubtful it would be saved.

I am not so sure. Peel can threaten closure, bump up the price when they sell to the local authority.

Didn’t they do the same with Teeside?

WesternA318

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:06 pm

It's a shame what's happened to various industries and properties in Sheffield (Jesus, I sound like a politician there). I love that city.

wezgulf3

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:17 pm

flyingphil wrote:
It is the home to one of the three ex-RAF Vulcans that are kept in taxi able condition with the others at Southend and Wellesborne.
Raises the possibility of a final ferry flight by the Vulcan to a new home... but I guess this saga still has a long way to play out.
The Manston saga has been dragging on for years...
http://thisisflight.net/2022/08/15/vulc ... t-in-2023/

It would be an incredibly cold day in Hell before the CAA would even have a conversation about allowing a Vulcan to fly in the UK.

Also, that Vulcan has been sat outside in less than ideal conditions for a very long time, and if the internet is to be believed not looked after how the other two are.

Wes…

Btblue

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:31 pm

Best option here would be to build more homes, shopping facilities and so forth. Lots of potential there once the land is cleared and who knows, the terminal may have some capacity to be repurposed.

A similar situation will happen to Cambridge Airport CBG which is due to close in 2030.

Around the airport perimeter on neighbouring farmland, homes are starting to be built - less than a few hundred meters from the Runway. Up to 12,000 homes could be built on and around the site.

A sad day for the staff at Doncaster and supporting businesses. It seems it has been in decline for quite a while and the inevitable has happened.

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:37 pm

There is significantly more wealth in Cambridge than there is in Doncaster... with a correspondingly greater need in Cambridge for land for homes. If Doncaster airport closes, it's likely to end up as warehouses and light industrial units - I do not see a vast need for house-building in Doncaster

by738

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:47 pm

what a nice new facility compared to some the regional airports. Such a waste. We want less busy distributed travel traffic, not all mobbed round older airports. But thats not what brings the money in. Surely that runway is far better than LBA.

SEU

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:02 pm

One feels this airport has more than enough capability to be profitable. I think the owners just didn't want to. Forced Wizzair out and used it to their advantage

There is a small possibility that the local government could buy it, or another business, but in the current climate. I doubt it.

USAirALB

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:51 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
As an outsider, if all those TUI Airways destinations are still active, it seems rather odd that the airport should be closed suddenly. Here in the US, that airport would be much busier than various smaller commercial airports like SCK, STC, etc in the US which would be considered rather successful if they had Transatlantic flights!

The difference is that in the US airports are publicly owned and operated...they are government owned entities. In the UK, most airports are usually owned by private investment/infrastructure firms for-profit.

holczakker

Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:25 pm

SEU wrote:
Forced Wizzair out.

Wizz left tail between legs in a hurry after serious disruptions caused by crew shortage. Same in Cardiff.

AirbusA6

Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:52 pm

England is geographically a small country, it's not hard to get to other, bigger airports in the general area, so it's not as if locals will suddenly be stranded because they don't have their own airport.

Indeed many residents may much prefer to not have the noise and pollution near them, and consider the longer journey to Manchester or Leeds an acceptable compromise for their once a year package holiday.

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:13 pm

BH Air have removed all their 2023 flights from Doncaster from their system. Their 2022 season at Doncaster had already finished.
TUI have set all flights after 4 November 2022 from Doncaster to zero availability... and some DSA TUI routes have been zero'ed out for dates in October

But, Wizz are still showing availability at Doncaster on multiple routes into 2023... it seems they didn't get the memo yet

Chasensfo

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:11 pm

USAirALB wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
As an outsider, if all those TUI Airways destinations are still active, it seems rather odd that the airport should be closed suddenly. Here in the US, that airport would be much busier than various smaller commercial airports like SCK, STC, etc in the US which would be considered rather successful if they had Transatlantic flights!

The difference is that in the US airports are publicly owned and operated...they are government owned entities. In the UK, most airports are usually owned by private investment/infrastructure firms for-profit.

Interesting, so one could really just buy up airports and close them down one by one if they wanted to repurpose the land commercially with no issues federally?

Gfgdfgv

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:13 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
But, Wizz are still showing availability at Doncaster on multiple routes into 2023... it seems they didn't get the memo yet

Ha, Not too surprising. There’s some very cheap fares as well, hopefully there not trying to trick anyone.

I imagine they’d have the last flight though, which would be good to take for the sake of it.

Gfgdfgv

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:25 am

It’s being widely reported that Wizz have indeed transferred their routes to LBA. Interesting as they’ll be competing with Ryanair on 4 polish routes but have dropped VNO

JibberJim

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:46 am

Chasensfo wrote:
Interesting, so one could really just buy up airports and close them down one by one if they wanted to repurpose the land commercially with no issues federally?

The "federal" part which would make this impossible is the planning permission, you cannot simply change the use of the land from what it is, to something else with different use. So if you were to attempt it, you could buy the airport, close it, but then you can't do anything else with the land until you get that change of use. So it's only going to happen in the situation where the running costs and profits don't make the land too expensive to purchase, and where planning permission is likely.

https://www.aef.org.uk/guides/understan ... -planning/
Seems a like a good general read

Chasensfo

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:52 pm

JibberJim wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

The "federal" part which would make this impossible is the planning permission, you cannot simply change the use of the land from what it is, to something else with different use. So if you were to attempt it, you could buy the airport, close it, but then you can't do anything else with the land until you get that change of use. So it's only going to happen in the situation where the running costs and profits don't make the land too expensive to purchase, and where planning permission is likely.

Thank you for that. I suppose with LBA not too far off, they can make a case. Still, it's hard for me to imagine that the government would agree that an airport could sustain the post-pandemic service that this airfield had (at least at one point) is better off closed and redeveloped, thus adding more crowding to other airports and more commuting road traffic between nearby regions with commercial airports. Not a huge deal logistically in this case, but still...

StdTank80002

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:11 am

Chasensfo wrote:
JibberJim wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

Thank you for that. I suppose with LBA not too far off, they can make a case. Still, it's hard for me to imagine that the government would agree that an airport could sustain the post-pandemic service that this airfield had (at least at one point) is better off closed and redeveloped, thus adding more crowding to other airports and more commuting road traffic between nearby regions with commercial airports. Not a huge deal logistically in this case, but still...

Yes but the government is also desperate to build homes and an airport is brownfield. I have seen crazier decisions when it comes to changing land use for new homes!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos