Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IceCream

Re: The WestJet Thread - 2022

Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:18 pm

Based on only the highest fares being open (like discussed on other forums) it seems like YYZ-BOS, ORD, YFC, YYG, LGW, and probably YQB are being cut in November. YYZ-YOW, YUL, BNA, YXU, YQT, YQM seem to be staying for the winter season, although I suspect some of them could see frequency reductions.
YHZ-YQY seems to be cut but YHZ-YYT is staying for now.

Skywatcher

Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:41 pm

IceCream wrote:
Based on only the highest fares being open (like discussed on other forums) it seems like YYZ-BOS, ORD, YFC, YYG, LGW, and probably YQB are being cut in November. YYZ-YOW, YUL, BNA, YXU, YQT, YQM seem to be staying for the winter season, although I suspect some of them could see frequency reductions.

Great for Air Canada at least. I suspect that Onex (new private owners) are very demanding and won't tolerate losses.

hollywoodcory

Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:38 pm

YYC-LHR has been officially been extended to year-round, increasing to 1x daily starting October 30th.

9252fly

Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:02 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
YYC-LHR has been officially been extended to year-round, increasing to 1x daily starting October 30th.

No surprise, what about LGW? Seems YYZ - LGW is gone for the winter. I wonder if WS will make its services to LGW seasonal from all Canadian departure points. LHR should make them money as it will likely draw a higher yield from their western client base than what they could earn operating LGW in winter.

hollywoodcory

Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:09 pm

9252fly wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

No surprise, what about LGW? Seems YYZ - LGW is gone for the winter. I wonder if WS will make its services to LGW seasonal from all Canadian departure points. LHR should make them money as it will likely draw a higher yield from their western client base than what they could earn operating LGW in winter.

LGW is still loaded and bookable from both YYC/YYZ in the winter.

As for YYZ-LGW, its only available for booking full-fare J/W/Y class fares through the entire schedule (including next summer) implying it could be a more of a permeant drop.

9252fly

Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:13 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
9252fly wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

As for YYZ-LGW, its only available for booking full-fare J/W/Y class fares through the entire schedule (including next summer) implying it could be a more of a permeant drop.

What about YVR - LGW, loaded for the winter and available in all booking classes?

Dominion301

Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:24 pm

IceCream wrote:

I’d be shocked if YQB-YYZ goes as that would mean YQB would become a seasonal station like YQG. More likely it drops to 1 or 2 daily 737s. YXU-YYZ probably sticks around for the winter then disappears. YQM and YQT to YYZ will surely return to 737s, ditto YFC probably daily summer and 3-5x weekly in winter.

YDF and YQY almost certainly become summer seasonal stations with the DH4s gone. I wonder how long the new YYZ-ORD sticks around without the Dashes? I wonder if BOS will go with WS relying on DL codesharing? 2 or 3 daily 737s to BOS makes no sense.

It seems silly on the surface for WS to be pulling all DH4 flying out of the east vs largely eliminating them from the eastern triangle and then redeploying to new markets like YQG, YSB, YAM and YTS to strengthen YYZ.

I can see YYT-YHZ staying twice daily summer, daily winter with thru service to YYZ with an additional YYT-YYZ 1-2 daily nonstops.

Needless to say, PD are rejoicing at the thought of being a strong #2 to AC in the east.

hollywoodcory

Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:50 pm

9252fly wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
9252fly wrote:

What about YVR - LGW, loaded for the winter and available in all booking classes?

Not yet.

SXDFC

Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:40 pm

Any idea when they will start repainting the PAX NGs in the new livery? I’ve seen a few of their birds around, and they can definitely use a new coat of paint.

Whiteguy

Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:53 pm

SXDFC wrote:
Any idea when they will start repainting the PAX NGs in the new livery? I’ve seen a few of their birds around, and they can definitely use a new coat of paint.

There are some scheduled to be painted but supply and demand issues are delaying bookings in the paint shop…same with some Qs..

IceCream

Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:01 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
IceCream wrote:

I’d be shocked if YQB-YYZ goes as that would mean YQB would become a seasonal station like YQG. More likely it drops to 1 or 2 daily 737s. YXU-YYZ probably sticks around for the winter then disappears. YQM and YQT to YYZ will surely return to 737s, ditto YFC probably daily summer and 3-5x weekly in winter.

YDF and YQY almost certainly become summer seasonal stations with the DH4s gone. I wonder how long the new YYZ-ORD sticks around without the Dashes? I wonder if BOS will go with WS relying on DL codesharing? 2 or 3 daily 737s to BOS makes no sense.

It seems silly on the surface for WS to be pulling all DH4 flying out of the east vs largely eliminating them from the eastern triangle and then redeploying to new markets like YQG, YSB, YAM and YTS to strengthen YYZ.

I can see YYT-YHZ staying twice daily summer, daily winter with thru service to YYZ with an additional YYT-YYZ 1-2 daily nonstops.

Needless to say, PD are rejoicing at the thought of being a strong #2 to AC in the east.

I was thinking the same thing about YQB being replaced by a daily 737, but over 800 dollar fares in economy for YQB doesn't make it sound like the route is staying. I hope I'm wrong. With regard to ORD it seems to have the same issue of only the highest fares being open. Odd that that it was only started in May and already (potentially) getting cut.

Dogman

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:15 pm

I can't believe that they cannot make a use of another 4 B789. A pair for YYZ-LGW and another for YYZ-CDG.

YYCFlier

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:51 pm

Dogman wrote:
I can't believe that they cannot make a use of another 4 B789. A pair for YYZ-LGW and another for YYZ-CDG.

Pulling TATL 789s out of YYZ seems pretty silly to me, but that's exactly what they are doing. YYZ will be narrow-body only. They are taking one more 789, so it will be 7/10 not 6/10.
Last edited by YYCFlier on Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YYCFlier

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:52 pm

Anyone know where the premium and business class menus went? They were there, now they've poofed.

Dominion301

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm

IceCream wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
IceCream wrote:

I was thinking the same thing about YQB being replaced by a daily 737, but over 800 dollar fares in economy for YQB doesn't make it sound like the route is staying. I hope I'm wrong. With regard to ORD it seems to have the same issue of only the highest fares being open. Odd that that it was only started in May and already (potentially) getting cut.

The thing with YQB is maybe the full Y fares in winter are temporary while the schedule gets completely reworked to that one daily 737 in order to minimize rebookings. If WS can’t serve Quebec’s capital, how year-round, how are they anything more than a regional carrier?

IceCream

Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:02 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
IceCream wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

The thing with YQB is maybe the full Y fares in winter are temporary while the schedule gets completely reworked to that one daily 737 in order to minimize rebookings. If WS can’t serve Quebec’s capital, how year-round, how are they anything more than a regional carrier?

That could definitely be what's happening. I guess we'll find out soon. Doesn't WS usually put out some sort of a winter schedule presser around the end of July, at least pre covid?

Whiteguy

Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:17 pm

YYCFlier wrote:
Dogman wrote:

Pulling TATL 789s out of YYZ seems pretty silly to me, but that's exactly what they are doing. YYZ will be narrow-body only. They are taking one more 789, so it will be 7/10 not 6/10.

Nothing has been confirmed with Europe routes out of YYZ yet, LGW may continue to operate, not sure about BCN. They only thing that is pulled from YYZ is the pilot base, and it was created back in the spring. Up until then everything was operated from YYC base.

YEGFlyer

Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:25 pm

Flair or Swoop might take over some of these routes.

hollywoodcory

Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:42 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
YYCFlier wrote:
Dogman wrote:

Nothing has been confirmed with Europe routes out of YYZ yet, LGW may continue to operate, not sure about BCN. They only thing that is pulled from YYZ is the pilot base, and it was created back in the spring. Up until then everything was operated from YYC base.

BCN was already removed from the schedule next summer.

Can the Max operate YYZ-LGW? Is it possible it's being swapped to say 2x daily 7M8 instead of the daily 789?

Whiteguy

Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:48 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
YYCFlier wrote:

Can the Max operate YYZ-LGW? Is it possible it's being swapped to say 2x daily 7M8 instead of the daily 789?

It could but there could be restrictions on it sone days of course. I doubt they would operate with the MAX though, I hear cargo is quite good into LGW.

CXH

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:55 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

It could but there could be restrictions on it sone days of course. I doubt they would operate with the MAX though, I hear cargo is quite good into LGW.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA35

Well, YYZ-DUB on the Max is flying daily, which isn't that much farther. But as Whiteguy said, maybe with restrictions.

Dominion301

Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:25 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
YYCFlier wrote:

Yes the MAX is easily within YYZ-LGW range but 2x is a non-starter unless they drop YHZ or obtain more slots.

hollywoodcory

Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:18 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

Yes the MAX is easily within YYZ-LGW range but 2x is a non-starter unless they drop YHZ or obtain more slots.

All of YHZ-Europe has already been removed from the S23 schedule, and that was more in regards to the winter schedule. With YYC-LHR now daily in the winter, it could free a daily slot pair at LGW this winter. (Unless YVR-LGW is planned to go year-round now).

But as whiteguy mentioned with cargo, I imagine the 789 will stay on YYZ-LGW.

Dominion301

Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:05 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

All of YHZ-Europe has already been removed from the S23 schedule, and that was more in regards to the winter schedule. With YYC-LHR now daily in the winter, it could free a daily slot pair at LGW this winter. (Unless YVR-LGW is planned to go year-round now).

Ah yes the YHZ slot is summer seasonal. If YHZ-LGW goes, another thing they could do with the seasonal slot is fly YOW-LGW on the MAX while keeping YYZ on the 789. A narrowbody to London is not competitive while YOW has a glaring hole to fill with still zero transatlantic service since March 2020 while YHZ this summer was flooded with transatlantic capacity.

I can’t see WS pulling all 789 flying out of YYZ even without a 787 base. They need at least one widebody per day on YYC-YYZ, which would make YYZ-LGW rotations easy.

Whiteguy

Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:34 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Form what I’ve been told all 787 routes operated now will continue to be operated next summer. Also all Europe MAX flying will continue.

dr1980

Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:11 pm

So reading a few different posts here that seem to have different thoughts…is the current best guess that YHZ loses summer Europe flights next year under this western focus restructuring or is there hope for some of them? Really hoping to make a trip to Ireland next year without transferring through a hub.

Acey

Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:20 pm

dr1980 wrote:
So reading a few different posts here that seem to have different thoughts…is the current best guess that YHZ loses summer Europe flights next year under this western focus restructuring or is there hope for some of them? Really hoping to make a trip to Ireland next year without transferring through a hub.

The post just prior to your question is from a WestJet pilot suggesting Europe flying will continue from YHZ so at the very least there is definitely hope, despite what may or may not be bookable as of today.

dr1980

Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Thanks, fingers crossed!!

hollywoodcory

Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:02 pm

A few winter changes in this weekend's update:

YYZ-ORD removed after October 17 (This route is still scheduled in S23).
YYZ-BOS removed after October 30 (Appears to be completely removed?)
YVR-LGW removed after October 2 (Meaning it likely won't be going year-round, at least this winter).

YYZ-LGW is still scheduled / and still only selling full-fare J/W/Y class.

346fetish

Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:28 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:

YVR-LGW removed after October 2 (Meaning it likely won't be going year-round, at least this winter).

Not surprised with YYZBOS being completely removed -- hard to compete with a lawn mower.

Dominion301

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:10 am

346fetish wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Not surprised with YYZBOS being completely removed -- hard to compete with a lawn mower.

And the DH4 going bye bye from the east.

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:55 pm

Any chance that we will ever see a DEN-YYZ route anytime soon? I'd LOVE to see that!!!

AWNP

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:41 pm

346fetish wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Not the best plane, but sadly has a better cabin than the CRJ, just the worst.

Juju2004

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:46 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
Any chance that we will ever see a DEN-YYZ route anytime soon? I'd LOVE to see that!!!

Maybe they'll throw Swoop on it to push out Flair in December

IceCream

Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:08 pm

IceCream wrote:

Looks like domestically YFC, YYG, YQB and YQY are being cut.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2022 ... as-airline

cirrusdragoon

Westjet airport staff vote to strike

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:09 pm

WestJet workers in Calgary and Vancouver have voted overwhelmingly to support the bargaining committee and take strike action if a deal cannot be reached, as early as July 27, 2022 according to their union Unifor.

The staff pay scale has not been increased for more than five years, making WestJet's wages among the lowest in the Canadian aviation industry and has not been matched for soaring inflation.

They will be in a legal strike position beginning July 27, 2022. Prior to taking any strike action, Unifor must serve WestJet with 72 hours' notice of its intention to strike.

We are certainly in an era of rebalancing fair work for fair pay. I wish these workers all the success in their quest to better their work environment and compensation.

readytotaxi

Re: Westjet airport staff vote to strike

Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:22 pm

5 yrs without a rise, that has got to hurt.

AWNP

Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:31 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

I don't know for sure, but would assume the pay bands haven't increased over that time, but workers would be getting annual raises as they progress though the bands - guessing this would only have affected people already at the top 5 years ago?

cirrusdragoon

Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:14 pm

AWNP wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I don't know for sure, but would assume the pay bands haven't increased over that time, but workers would be getting annual raises as they progress though the bands - guessing this would only have affected people already at the top 5 years ago?

The starting wages even have not changed , so they have not even adjusted with the risen cost of living. Both ends of the pay spectrum are affected.

alasizon

Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:34 pm

Does anyone have a copy of their contract/compensation tables? Just curious to see where they stand.

cirrusdragoon

Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:35 pm

alasizon wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of their contract/compensation tables? Just curious to see where they stand.

Start $15.55 CAD an hour, topping out at $23.87 an hour after seven years

alasizon

Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:36 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
alasizon wrote:

That is pretty abysmal.

ac190

Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:29 pm

Good on them, it’s about time.

AC starts at 16.60$ and topping out at around 31$. Add into the fact no organized pension and health benefits that keep getting trimmed every year it’s a wonder why anyone would stay with WJ at customer service level.

Acey

Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:21 pm

The good news is that YYC operation is already in such shambles that a strike will only have negligible impact from a customer experience standpoint.

Skywatcher

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:15 am

Onex must be freaking out. Their timing for taking Westjet private was awful due to the covid devastation and now this?

AWNP

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:16 am

ac190 wrote:

AC starts at 16.60$ and topping out at around 31$. Add into the fact no organized pension and health benefits that keep getting trimmed every year it’s a wonder why anyone would stay with WJ at customer service level.

No pension, but a fully matched savings plan of 20% of salary - worth a lot more than a defined contribution pension.

ac190

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:35 am

AWNP wrote:
ac190 wrote:

No pension, but a fully matched savings plan of 20% of salary - worth a lot more than a defined contribution pension.

As an Ex-Westjetter, it’s not as good as it sounds. Pretty technical to explain but basically it’s been known as being “WestJet Poor” for the first couple years.

Also I’m sure while making a barely livable wage of 23.87$ a CSA can afford to put 20% into savings with the rising cost of living.

IceCream

Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:40 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
WestJet workers in Calgary and Vancouver have voted overwhelmingly to support the bargaining committee and take strike action if a deal cannot be reached, as early as July 27, 2022 according to their union Unifor.

The staff pay scale has not been increased for more than five years, making WestJet's wages among the lowest in the Canadian aviation industry and has not been matched for soaring inflation.

They will be in a legal strike position beginning July 27, 2022. Prior to taking any strike action, Unifor must serve WestJet with 72 hours' notice of its intention to strike.

We are certainly in an era of rebalancing fair work for fair pay. I wish these workers all the success in their quest to better their work environment and compensation.

Who the hell wants to work a stressful, difficult job for barely minimum wage at the airport when the Tim Hortons in your neighborhood has better career options?

casperCA

Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:36 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Minimum wage in BC is $15.65. In BC minimum wage is indexed to inflation. So you would expect that bottom to be 8% higher this time next year.

YYZatcboy

Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:33 pm

casperCA wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Minimum wage in BC is $15.65. In BC minimum wage is indexed to inflation. So you would expect that bottom to be 8% higher this time next year.

BC Minimum wage likely wouldn't apply, it would be federal minimum wage which is currently 15.55.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos