Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

f4f3a
Topic Author

What next for jet 2?

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:43 pm

Jet 2 seem to be one of the few uk carriers who have come out of covid doing really well. Customers seem to love them and so do people who work there from what I can see.
Will we se them expand and set up a European division? Also could we see destinations further afield like florida and the carribean ?
Thoughts?

MrHMSH

Re: What next for jet 2?

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:56 pm

f4f3a wrote:
Jet 2 seem to be one of the few uk carriers who have come out of covid doing really well. Customers seem to love them and so do people who work there from what I can see.
Will we se them expand and set up a European division? Also could we see destinations further afield like florida and the carribean ?
Thoughts?

Set up to accept the A321neo and focus on where they are strong, namely UK-holiday destinations. I don't think an EU subsidiary is wise, long haul I guess they could charter aircraft (like the A330), but anything beyond an A321XLR seems unlikely, and even then I don't believe any of their A321 order is for the XLR.

IndianicWorld

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 pm

I tend to think that Jet2’s success is built around sticking to what works for them and not overextending themselves.

Trying to tackle operations from EU bases adds more complexity and risk.

Focusing on the UK may appear to be playing it safe, but given the levels of competition across Europe, doing any more seems to be something they may be better to steer clear from.

cedarjet

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:14 pm

Would love to know more about their finances. Persistent rumours that they’re run as a front for something else. They seem to have endless resources for a small operator in a cutthroat market. They deliver for their customers and a happy workforce so whatever the formula is, it’s all good I guess. I’ve only flown them on one skiing holiday, out and back a week apart, Stansted to Chambéry, alpine valley airfield that probably doesn’t have any scheduled movements outside the ski season, quite demanding for pilots apparently. On time comfortable 738 with a spot of BOB so no complaints from moi.

RR757

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:54 pm

From my experience, Jet2 offer an excellent service and have built a solid product. They deserve to do well, along with their Holiday business.

jamsco99

Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:32 pm

Their holiday business makes up most of their passengers and it doesn't have any physical presence such as high street shops. These high street shops must be a huge cost for tui and in the past Thomas Cook and first choice.
I've gone on 5 orv6 holidays with them and the load factor of the flights has always been high

SueD

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:16 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
I tend to think that Jet2’s success is built around sticking to what works for them and not overextending themselves.

Trying to tackle operations from EU bases adds more complexity and risk.

Focusing on the UK may appear to be playing it safe, but given the levels of competition across Europe, doing any more seems to be something they may be better to steer clear from.

They had a base in Alicante prior COVID/ Brexit !

That said I agree with others retain the recipe they have right now a significant element of package revenue and direct ticket sales to backfill .

As for long haul will it happen IDK; that said TUi could do with some competition, if only to keep the German business somewhat honest with Thomas Cook UK dead in the market place.

Caveat - Long haul packages are reliant on block purchases of accommodation and cruising at wholesale prices competitive enough to resell and right now I don’t think they have the necessary resources to out bid the likes of TUi and the remnants of Thomas Cook in Germany or contacts with the likes of Sandles (or other all inclusives) or Virgin or even BA .

Indeed many of the Caribbean and Indian Ocean all inclusive resorts would struggle to be incorporated within the Jet2 family oriented business model !

Could they team up with a major Theme Park or Film Studio possibly however they would be the minor partner and could find themselves quite exposed to carrying risk , including upfront payments and hits to cash flow !
These corporate businesses are ruthless !

airsmiles

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:17 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Would love to know more about their finances. Persistent rumours that they’re run as a front for something else. They seem to have endless resources for a small operator in a cutthroat market. They deliver for their customers and a happy workforce so whatever the formula is, it’s all good I guess. I’ve only flown them on one skiing holiday, out and back a week apart, Stansted to Chambéry, alpine valley airfield that probably doesn’t have any scheduled movements outside the ski season, quite demanding for pilots apparently. On time comfortable 738 with a spot of BOB so no complaints from moi.

They don’t have endless resources and they’re not small, having over 100 aircraft. They’re a quality business with a sensible management team and have been consistently profitable over many years. Because of this they can borrow from the market to finance the business at decent rates.

Vicenza

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:36 pm

cedarjet wrote:
They seem to have endless resources for a small operator in a cutthroat market.

There is nothing small about Jet2 and, on the contrary, they are a very successful and highly regarded business with superb management.

by738

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:56 pm

Stick with what they know. I dread ‘lets start Florida and Cancun’. Slightly surprised the wholesale shift to A321’s but they must have had a great package. Im guessing the leased in A330s work for them during summer. I’ve never flown them but wouldn’t hesitate.

TC957

Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:17 pm

Jet 2 have done well with the demise of Monarch & Thomas Cook, gradual sensible controlled expansion and a good managment team. They support the travel industry too, unlike Ryanair.
Be interesting to see if they ever make a move to start LGW or LTN flights, or even BOH.

Staralexi

Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:25 pm

From my very extensive airline experience and now as a very satisfied customer I hope they stick to what they are doing so well. There are plenty of opportunities to prosper in UK market

AirBourne

Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:45 pm

Hopefully they’ll drop that god awful Jess Glynne song from the adverts!

SueD

Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:01 pm

AirBourne wrote:

As an advertising strategy it’s working as you remember the connection :thumbsup:

RJA320

Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:02 pm

AirBourne wrote:

I don't understand how they think it's a good idea to have that god-awful song on for most of the flight. A lot of people I know have avoided flying with them just for that reason.

Pendennis

Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:15 pm

by738 wrote:
Slightly surprised the wholesale shift to A321’s but they must have had a great package. Im guessing the leased in A330s work for them during summer. I’ve never flown them but wouldn’t hesitate.

What else could they have bought to replace the 757s? The bigger MAXs don't have such a good airfield performance, remember Leeds, Bristol and some other UK airports don't have paticularly long runways. If you're going to use 321NEOs to replace the 757s, why not switch the whole fleet if the finances allow.

f4f3a
Topic Author

Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:45 pm

They really have come a long way since they used old 300 qc . They seemd to do well moving into airports where others have retracted . Like Newcastle Stanstead they have more than filled capacity left by easy.
Wonder if they will go all airbus or get some maxs later on to replace the ngs

jmc757

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:08 pm

RJA320 wrote:
AirBourne wrote:

I don't understand how they think it's a good idea to have that god-awful song on for most of the flight. A lot of people I know have avoided flying with them just for that reason.

They don't have it on "for most of the flight". They play it on boarding, along with other songs, same for disembarkation . And it plays in the background on pre-recorded announcements (safety demo etc).

As another poster above said it's working for them as long as people make the connection. That song is now synonymous with Jet2. I recently saw some live music where a singer did a cover of Hold My Hand and even joked before the song "who likes a holiday? Do you like a Jet2 Holiday!"

Fair to say it does get discussed a lot on social media their use of the song, but again that's just good marketing at work and Jet2 seem to embrace it.

Maybe just another example of how shrewdly they operate, they're certainly getting their moneys worth from the royalties deal they must have done with Jess Glynne's record label!

jmc757

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:19 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Would love to know more about their finances. Persistent rumours that they’re run as a front for something else. They seem to have endless resources for a small operator in a cutthroat market. They deliver for their customers and a happy workforce so whatever the formula is, it’s all good I guess.

Interesting, never heard the rumours but now I'm intrigued and want to!

They've certainly bucked the trend. They started out as a LCC in the LCC boom of the early noughties but over the years have transformed into the package holiday business we see today. And this was all at a time when most in the industry were proclaiming the death of package holidays thanks to LCCs and the Internet.

They've been well placed to grow into market space vacated by failed competitors (most recently Monarch and Thomas Cook). Things like their decision to self handle at larger bases seem to make a big difference to the product and brand, that particularly has been important in 2022. I'm always impressed by the amount of Jet2 staff you see in both UK and destination airports, and a lot of the general public notice it too. Must cost them a fair bit but it works.

bennett123

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:36 pm

I have flown them from BHX and would not hesitate to do so again.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:21 pm

TC957 wrote:
Be interesting to see if they ever make a move to start LGW or LTN flights, or even BOH.

I don't think so. As for London, they have a base at STN. That's sufficient for them.

By the way, yesterday it was announced that they're cutting their flights to AMS. They served AMS from LBA and BHX. These flights were already suspended due to capacity restrictions at AMS but won't return afterwards either. I guess this makes sense since AMS isn't really the kind of market they're targeting.

JannEejit

Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:59 pm

When FlyGlobespan failed in Scotland I could just see Jet2 stepping in to fill the void and that's exactly what they did. And then some ! Good luck to them and continued success. I've yet to use them as bucket and spade trips are not really my thing. But I hear good things all the time.

GVZZZ

Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:20 pm

Jet2 are not a small upstart airline. They've been around for 40-ish years, the first half predominantly flying mail/flowers/newspapers in Heralds, F-27s, Electras and 737-300s, before trying the scheduled market. Including their summer leases the fleet is some 103 aircraft at the moment including over 30 Boeing 737-800s they acquired brand new. Jet2 and Jet2 Holidays have a fantastic reputation in their 'home' markets in the north of England, they always have staff on hand at airports to guide and assist, and make quite a big play on how they are self handling at many airports so aren't as dependent on third party suppliers (and their staffing issues) as other airlines. I think 'what next' as alluded to above is bringing over 50 brand new A321NEO in to the fleet, and getting the utilisation from them to justify the capital expenditure.

Scoreboard

Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:30 pm

One of Jet2's selling points is the way they look after customers throughout the journey. This is helped by the fact they employ a lot of their own staff at the non-UK airports they operate to, rather than contractors.

Nickd92

Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:12 pm

cedarjet wrote:

Accountable and ran by a Chairman and owner. Not accountable to share holders in Stock market.

Endless resources of? Money? Aircraft?

If you say money go have an in depth look at all the interviews Heapy did in the last 2 years. They are very prudent with cash.

f4f3a
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:01 am

They used to use old a/c that were cheap but utilisation was low . They used to not pay their crews much but they didn't work many hours in return.
Now new planes well paid crew lots of ground staff everywhere, yet they still manage to be cheaper than the competition. Maybe saving money in having less office staff and managers etc
I don't know if their margins are tighter in order to undercut the competition. Once reputation has taken hold up the prices.
On the other hand they might have just got it right and show what a well run airline can do

diamondchap

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:26 am

Nickd92 wrote:

Accountable and ran by a Chairman and owner. Not accountable to share holders in Stock market.

Endless resources of? Money? Aircraft?

If you say money go have an in depth look at all the interviews Heapy did in the last 2 years. They are very prudent with cash.

Eh? They are listed on the London Stock Exchange. So they very much are accountable to shareholders.

readytotaxi

Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:46 am

Could they be tempted to introduce a PE seat, say the first four rows?

RyanairGuru

Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:59 am

f4f3a wrote:
They used to use old a/c that were cheap but utilisation was low . They used to not pay their crews much but they didn't work many hours in return.
Now new planes well paid crew lots of ground staff everywhere, yet they still manage to be cheaper than the competition. Maybe saving money in having less office staff and managers etc
I don't know if their margins are tighter in order to undercut the competition. Once reputation has taken hold up the prices.
On the other hand they might have just got it right and show what a well run airline can do

I assume, though this is very much an assumption, that their margin on the average package booking is very attractive, and they therefore tolerate relatively low margins on the airline, of itself, in order to provide the superior level of service that they use to differentiate themselves in the package space. It becomes a self-perpetuating loop: providing superior service drives customers, additional customers gives them greater volume to negotiate steep discounts and/or commissions from hotels etc., which allows lower prices that drives greater volume and so on, and so on.

It is somewhat ironic that one of the upstart early-naughties ULCCs, which as an industry destroyed the traditional package/charter market, has gone on to completely define the package market that so many had declared dead. As a ULCC, Jet2 was never going to have the scale to compete with easyJet and Ryanair as an air-only business, so they found a niche in packages and spun it into a runaway success.

I suspect, but again don’t know, that first easyJet (through the purchase of GB Airways) and then Ryanair making MAN a base (and a large one for both carriers) drove Jet2 to transition from being a standard ULCC into glorified charter airline. IIRC MAN was Jet2’s largest operation, despite LBA being their home base, back in those days when EZY didn’t fly to MAN at all, and FR only flew to DUB.

SCQ83

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:01 pm

They seem to be increasingly launching routes that are not strictly holiday ones. Manchester-Prague, London-Rome, Birmingham-Krakow, Leeds-Budapest, etc.

I wonder what is the passenger mix in those flights.

Jet2 looks increasingly more like easyJet UK and easyJet UK looks more like Jet2.

seansasLCY

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:27 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
They seem to be increasingly launching routes that are not strictly holiday ones. Manchester-Prague, London-Rome, Birmingham-Krakow, Leeds-Budapest, etc.

Jet2 looks increasingly more like easyJet UK and easyJet UK looks more like Jet2.

They are all popular city break destinations so that makes sense.

SCQ83

Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:03 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

They are all popular city break destinations so that makes sense.

Those are city-break destinations but there might be a mix of traffic. London-Rome is not comparable to Leeds-Skiathos where likely 99% of passengers are tourists originating in the UK.

f4f3a
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:36 pm

Are these flights scheduled or charter? Can you buy for example rome london return?
As for easyjet they seem to have given up their focus on business routes and seem to be looking more and more at holidays certainly from the UK at least. What used to be known as a leisure airline

a350lover

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:21 pm

Don't you see them back in ALC or even AGP putting more capacity and local aircraft/crews?

I don't know if being a leisure airline makes it harder for them to operate local bases from their holiday resorts namely ALC. I guess people do not want to leave early the last day of holidays wasting it. On the other hand, probably Spanish workforce doesn't mean much savings compare to British.

What are your thoughts?

f4f3a
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:27 pm

I think they could do well I'm Scandinavia. I guess European ownership rules to contend with. However model and customer service would do well there. Also maybe a link up with a cruise line but they do like to keep things in house

Vicenza

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:47 pm

f4f3a wrote:
Are these flights scheduled or charter? Can you buy for example rome london return?
As for easyjet they seem to have given up their focus on business routes and seem to be looking more and more at holidays certainly from the UK at least. What used to be known as a leisure airline

A quick check would easily show that yes, you can fly STN-FCO starting March 2023, and other destinations. I don't differentiate airlines though....to me an airline is simply an airline and either flies to where I want to go, or it doesn't. If it doesn't I simply choose another one.

f4f3a
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:27 pm

Looking at the website it's definitely uk biased selecting a starting point in Europe the website isn't that user friendly. However excellent that 22kg bag seems to be included in the price

davidjohnson6

Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:40 pm

f4f3a wrote:
I think they could do well I'm Scandinavia. I guess European ownership rules to contend with. However model and customer service would do well there. Also maybe a link up with a cruise line but they do like to keep things in house

And repeat Thomas Cook's adventure in Scandinavia from years ago... there's a reason why Spies.dk,Ving.no and Ving.se suddenly chosen to rebrand shortly after Thomas Cook UK collapsed

aemoreira1981

Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:52 pm

This will be the first time in a long time that Jet2 has had a relatively new fleet. Even into the late 2010s, their bread and butter was the Boeing 737-300. That said, they're still focusing on their main areas...the Midlands and Scotland, as opposed to the cutthroat area around London and the southern UK. As for the A321neo, they're also versatile enough to allow Jet2 to do shopping trips to the USA without needing the 757s anymore or even use leased AirTanker capacity.

For a long time, Jet2 had other divisions as well...but the last one not related to the eponymous airline was sold during the pandemic (Fowler Welch). But does Jet2 still fly belly cargo freight?

seansasLCY

Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:59 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

And repeat Thomas Cook's adventure in Scandinavia from years ago... there's a reason why Spies.dk,Ving.no and Ving.se suddenly chosen to rebrand shortly after Thomas Cook UK collapsed

Wasn’t Thomas Cook Scandinavia actually profitable? That’s why it’s still going as Sunclass. Package holidays are still very popular here.

seansasLCY

Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:02 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
This will be the first time in a long time that Jet2 has had a relatively new fleet. Even into the late 2010s, their bread and butter was the Boeing 737-300. That said, they're still focusing on their main areas...the Midlands and Scotland, as opposed to the cutthroat area around London and the southern UK.

They have a pretty decent operation out of STN and BRS and have increased them steadily.

Vasu

Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:40 pm

I love the fact that you still see 733s. When are they due to go?

JannEejit

Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:03 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

What makes you think they would repeat the Thomas Cook example ?

skipness1E

Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:35 pm

Thomas Cook was brought down by insane levels of unmanageable debt.

jmc757

Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:44 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Even on their "city" routes they still target towards the leisure traveller with the Jet2CityBreaks brand. BHX-BUD BHX-KRK and BHX-PRG operate on Monday and Friday, perfect for weekend breaks even if people don't use the Jet2 package. KRK and PRG get dropped completely from BHX in July and August where the aircraft get used for sunshine routes instead. The Manchester and Leeds city routes are also quite weekend focussed.

I don't see it as Jet2 moving towards the easyJet model, just supplementing the core business where they see the opportunity.

ScottishDavie

Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:31 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

There is nothing particularly new about Jet2 operating "city break" type routes. They flew EDI-VIE before Covid, I believe it was three days a week. I don't think the route has returned yet but it might well do so in the future.

Jet2 is absolutely nothing like easyJet and long may it remain that way.

I'm pretty sure Jet2 employs its own ground staff and doesn't rely on outfits like Swissport or Menzies which under current circumstances is a very good thing.

natmci

Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:54 am

Jet2 have certainly gained a great reputation for themselves and have grown immensely over the past few years since the demise of Thomas Cook etc. It does seem that their focus is much more towards holiday routes than in the past with the move from the 733 to 738, for example, from EDI, they no longer offer any routes solely focused on city breaks and if I recall correctly their last city route from EDI was BUD which dropped specifically to add extra capacity to DLM & AYT.

Overall, Jet2 are are very smart and know their markets and how to get the most out of them, e.g. pausing city routes over summer peak to add capacity to holiday destinations and moving their aircraft between bases across the peak period to cater to differing demand depending on school holidays in across the UK. Last year, it was also common for flight with low loads to be merged together, with flights picking up passengers from other UK airports on their way or serving 2 destinations with one flight.

Going forwards, I’d imagine LS would perhaps look at returning to Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco which they haven’t operated to in many years, although these are destinations are mainly dominated by TUI from the UK. Maybe they could also look at Cape Verde and Gambia which would be easier with the neo fleet and are without competition since Thomas Cook collapsed with both only served by TUI.

It will certainly be interesting to keep an eye on and see what happens next.

bennett123

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:56 am

IMO, people are trying to define the market incorrectly.

Leisure doesn't just mean bucket and spade.

Cities like London or Rome are not just business destinations.

vhtje

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:28 am

Jet2 always makes me think of this:

https://youtu.be/dT5moPr26A0

I have never flown them, but they have a great reputation amongst my Yorkshire friends. I do wish them well.

SCQ83

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:40 am

jmc757 wrote:
Even on their "city" routes they still target towards the leisure traveller with the Jet2CityBreaks brand. BHX-BUD BHX-KRK and BHX-PRG operate on Monday and Friday, perfect for weekend breaks even if people don't use the Jet2 package. KRK and PRG get dropped completely from BHX in July and August where the aircraft get used for sunshine routes instead. The Manchester and Leeds city routes are also quite weekend focussed.

I don't see it as Jet2 moving towards the easyJet model, just supplementing the core business where they see the opportunity.

But this is more and more the case (specially after COVID) with easyJet, Ryanair and other low-cost carriers like Transavia and Vueling. 2-weekly flights on Thu/Fri or Sun/Mon.

bennett123 wrote:
Cities like London or Rome are not just business destinations.

London - Rome is not a business flight (specially since Rome is not such a big business city) but are not 99% from the UK point of sale like a Leeds-Corfu. A London - Rome could have also plenty of VFR traffic (Italians working in London) as well as Italian tourists to the UK among others. It is to be seen if that market uses Jet2.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos