Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

od-bwh
Topic Author

Air Canada, WestJet Fleets: Livery, Interiors

Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:15 pm

It's been a while since AC and WS introduced their now not so new liveries.

For Air Canada, there's a sizeable list of 777's and 787's that are still wearing the old livery, not to mention almost all A320's; and I don't think there was any progress to apply the new image to the rest of the fleet! Also, the A321's were the first to wear the new livery, but their interiors are dated. While the A321's are here to stay for the foreseeable future, it doesn't seem likely that AC would invest in upgrading their interiors any time soon.

As for WestJet, it looks like they regretted introducing the new livery altogether! Aside from the 787's and a few 737 Max's, everything else is still wearing the old livery.

Steelhead

Re: Air Canada, WestJet Fleets: Livery, Interiors

Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:30 pm

Air Canada recently re-painted 2 A-320's (C-FKPT / C-FKOJ)
WestJet's deliveries are all in the new colours, but none of the older B-737-700/800's have been re-painted yet (some of them looks like they are in urgent need)

TYWoolman

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:18 pm

Always thought the new WestJet tail is kind of busy. The leaf is a bit strange looking.

jfk777

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:30 pm

Some Air Canada 777 could soon be returned to lessors. AC's 777 fleet has been around a while and the 777-200LR aren't flying to Asia like they used to.

Polot

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:32 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Some Air Canada 777 could soon be returned to lessors. AC's 777 fleet has been around a while and the 777-200LR aren't flying to Asia like they used to.

The 77Ls are going nowhere at the moment. They aren’t flying to east Asia like they use to because they are required for India with the Russian airspace closure.

AC returned one 77W, if they were interested in dropping more they would have. Right now AC doesn’t have anything on the horizon to replace them.

BML87

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:59 pm

WestJet should have added seatback TVs to their 737 Maxs like AC. Really, there's no difference between WestJet and Swoop when you're on board.

Aresxerexade

Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:43 am

BML87 wrote:
WestJet should have added seatback TVs to their 737 Maxs like AC. Really, there's no difference between WestJet and Swoop when you're on board.

Swoop you have to pay for the streaming content not free. WS’s streaming content is free. Swoop has no premium cabin to upgrade to if one should so desire. Swoop you pay for all beverages onboard not just the spirits and beer and wine. WS offers complimentary non alcoholic beverages domestically with cookies and pretzels, Swoop does not. Westjet’s first 4 rows of economy cabin offer 34” seat pitch should you desire to select this zone in advance seat selection or have the chance to select at check in. Swoop offers 189 seats of same seat pitch throughout minus the emergency exit rows.

Acey

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:52 am

BML87 wrote:

You're aware WS has a 2x2 cabin at the front of their 737, right? It's an identical cabin to AC minus the TV.

777luver

Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:20 am

jfk777 wrote:

False. False. False. And False.

ACDC8

Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:27 am

BML87 wrote:

I'm glad they're gone, just adds unnecessary costs to the airline to maintain when everyone has an zombie device in their pockets anyways.

As far as livery goes, yeah, WS really needs to get on that - their livery looked terrible 26 years ago and still looks terrible today. But before they do that, pretty sure they've got some more pressing things they need to deal with first.

Aresxerexade

Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:54 am

ACDC8 wrote:
BML87 wrote:

I'm glad they're gone, just adds unnecessary costs to the airline to maintain when everyone has an zombie device in their pockets anyways.

As far as livery goes, yeah, WS really needs to get on that - their livery looked terrible 26 years ago and still looks terrible today. But before they do that, pretty sure they've got some more pressing things they need to deal with first.

Agreed. vanity projects, unless you are Qatar Airways, never happen rapidly.

ACDC8

Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:53 am

Aresxerexade wrote:
Agreed. vanity projects, unless you are Qatar Airways, never happen rapidly.

This is very true, they can take years, and throw in a global pandemic that almost decimates your business just adds to complications.

Whiteguy

Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:07 am

Spending money on paint hasn’t really been the priority plus, as with everything else, there is a shortage of paint slots, paint, and manpower causing delays. That being said I’ve heard 4 or 5 737 are budgeted for new paint this year.

tofur

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:10 pm

od-bwh wrote:

For Air Canada, there's a sizeable list of 777's and 787's that are still wearing the old livery, not to mention almost all A320's; and I don't think there was any progress to apply the new image to the rest of the fleet! Also, the A321's were the first to wear the new livery, but their interiors are dated. While the A321's are here to stay for the foreseeable future, it doesn't seem likely that AC would invest in upgrading their interiors any time soon.

As for WestJet, it looks like they regretted introducing the new livery altogether! Aside from the 787's and a few 737 Max's, everything else is still wearing the old livery.

The interior of the Air Canada Airbus 321 is scheduled to be refurbished in the near future including a new inflight video entertainment system, mood lighting and rear galley complex.

dmanonice

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:44 pm

The plan at WS was to repaint the planes as they came due in their normal paint schedule even before the pandemic, so it was always going to be a slow roll out. Of note the newest max -8s feature a "refreshed" seat colour pattern similar to the 787 style seats. I don't have a picture that I can share, but I think it looks great! (Same seats new covers!)

For AC the 320 family that are sticking around need some updates desperately, the IFE is so slow to respond and you practically have to pound the screen, but I guess it depends on the aircraft, I flew one recently that had newer lighting and looked alright compared to the yellow lighting one i flew back in December!

skipness1E

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:54 pm

The downside of airline rebrands is the old one is still around many years later. I think Delta decided to get it done quickly whereas when NWA rebranded in 1989 the hybrids were around forever. Nothing says "no money" like a branding from years before still flying. Air Canada is such a major change it's ultra obvious.

crosscheckyyz

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:04 pm

od-bwh wrote:
the A321's were the first to wear the new livery, but their interiors are dated. While the A321's are here to stay for the foreseeable future, it doesn't seem likely that AC would invest in upgrading their interiors any time soon.
\

I'm not entirely sure you can just make a generalization about upgrading the interiors. It takes time and it takes money. And at the moment with the boom in travel with the pandemic waning, there's not a heck of a lot of time for the fleet to leave and get refitted for a new interior.

Airlinerdude

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:33 pm

tofur wrote:

The interior of the Air Canada Airbus 321 is scheduled to be refurbished in the near future including a new inflight video entertainment system, mood lighting and rear galley complex.

As someone who often ends up on 321s because they seem to always be scheduled at the time I need to fly, I'm very happy to hear this.

Will the 321's overhead bins be retrofitted to something larger too? A selling point of flying on the 7M8s is that there isn't the high prevalence of gate checking bags when the flight is full.

dr1980

Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:16 pm

The 7M8 bins are glorious!

Acey

Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:37 pm

dmanonice wrote:
The plan at WS was to repaint the planes as they came due in their normal paint schedule even before the pandemic, so it was always going to be a slow roll out.

Yes, but most are surprised that in 4+ years not a single frame out of around 110 that require paint has reached its "normal paint schedule" when there are at least 20 between mainline and Encore that are in dire need of paint. Yes it's mostly cosmetic, but a really bad look with huge chunks of teal and blue missing from the tail.

crosscheckyyz

Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:55 pm

dr1980 wrote:

Except if you're sitting at Row 1 . With one side being emergency equipment and the other side the fuselage curvature prevents being able to put a roller in like normal like on the rest of the plane.

Or the last few rows which is all boxes and equipment and such.

od-bwh
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:15 am

tofur wrote:
od-bwh wrote:

Thanks for sharing. That’s great! Was it officially announced or not yet? I don’t recall seeing this in any of the shareholders announcements

od-bwh
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:19 am

crosscheckyyz wrote:
od-bwh wrote:
the A321's were the first to wear the new livery, but their interiors are dated. While the A321's are here to stay for the foreseeable future, it doesn't seem likely that AC would invest in upgrading their interiors any time soon.
\

I'm not entirely sure you can just make a generalization about upgrading the interiors. It takes time and it takes money. And at the moment with the boom in travel with the pandemic waning, there's not a heck of a lot of time for the fleet to leave and get refitted for a new interior.

There’s never a good time to do that. Pre-COVID, just like today, air travel was booming and schedules were running thin. During COVID there was a lot of uncertainty and cutbacks. Delta did an amazing job in my opinion by repainting all of their fleet in record time

777luver

Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:21 am

dmanonice wrote:
The plan at WS was to repaint the planes as they came due in their normal paint schedule even before the pandemic, so it was always going to be a slow roll out. Of note the newest max -8s feature a "refreshed" seat colour pattern similar to the 787 style seats. I don't have a picture that I can share, but I think it looks great! (Same seats new covers!)

For AC the 320 family that are sticking around need some updates desperately, the IFE is so slow to respond and you practically have to pound the screen, but I guess it depends on the aircraft, I flew one recently that had newer lighting and looked alright compared to the yellow lighting one i flew back in December!

That’s the problem, people aren’t supposed to pound the screen, that’s probably why there’s so many issues with them, it’s called “touch screen” not “pound screen”

CrewBunk

Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:56 am

777luver wrote:
dmanonice wrote:

That’s the problem, people aren’t supposed to pound the screen, that’s probably why there’s so many issues with them, it’s called “touch screen” not “pound screen”

It’s an old system. Shoot, it was almost 20 years ago that Air Canada became the first airline on the earth to put AVOD at every seat in the mainline fleet, (and the E175s and CRJ 705/900s at the regionals). It was designed to touch then wait, touch then wait. It’ll catch up.

But it’s fun to watch the younger set bang away at the screen like a maniacal woodpecker followed by the eventual mewling to the F/A … “my screen doesn’t work” requiring a reset.

These systems should have been replaced by now, by the A220 and 737 Max, but fleet adjustments due to current conditions kept them longer.

dmanonice

Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:00 pm

Acey wrote:
dmanonice wrote:
The plan at WS was to repaint the planes as they came due in their normal paint schedule even before the pandemic, so it was always going to be a slow roll out.

Yes, but most are surprised that in 4+ years not a single frame out of around 110 that require paint has reached its "normal paint schedule" when there are at least 20 between mainline and Encore that are in dire need of paint. Yes it's mostly cosmetic, but a really bad look with huge chunks of teal and blue missing from the tail.

I am not surprised that people are surprised but look at the timeline of events.

Spring 2018 new livery announced
May 2018 First -800s transferred to Swoop (tails 838 & 839)
July 2018 Tail 308 delivered, first in new colours
March 2019 Max fleet grounded, major fleet shuffle to cover as much flying as possible.
March 2020 COVID

WS has seen significant fleet stress in the years leading up to COVID which explains the delay in re-painting the fleet, and I fully agree there are many many tails that when I left in Nov 2020 that needed a visit to the paint hangar ASAP, so I can only imagine the state of the fleet now!
Last edited by dmanonice on Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmanonice

Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:01 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
777luver wrote:
dmanonice wrote:

It’s an old system. Shoot, it was almost 20 years ago that Air Canada became the first airline on the earth to put AVOD at every seat in the mainline fleet, (and the E175s and CRJ 705/900s at the regionals). It was designed to touch then wait, touch then wait. It’ll catch up.

But it’s fun to watch the younger set bang away at the screen like a maniacal woodpecker followed by the eventual mewling to the F/A … “my screen doesn’t work” requiring a reset.

These systems should have been replaced by now, by the A220 and 737 Max, but fleet adjustments due to current conditions kept them longer.

Agreed it was leading edge at the time, I remember when they were installed and even with the lag they were super at the time. Time has made them obsolete and as you said they should have been replaced by now, but between the MAX groundings and COIVD there hasn't exactly been a good time to cycle them out to do so!

tofur

Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:49 pm

od-bwh wrote:
tofur wrote:
od-bwh wrote:

Thanks for sharing. That’s great! Was it officially announced or not yet? I don’t recall seeing this in any of the shareholders announcements

It was announced several months ago and discussed on one of the threads here, perhaps the 321XLR purchase thread. I cannot find the original correspondence but certainly agree the refurbishment will be greatly welcomed.

Acey

Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:24 pm

dmanonice wrote:
WS has seen significant fleet stress in the years leading up to COVID which explains the delay in re-painting the fleet,

Sure. I just find myself wondering if any airline in North American history has announced a new livery and not painted a single frame 4.5 years later. Not even asking in a passive-aggressive way, just genuinely curious if this is the slowest livery rollout of all time because it's definitely up there.

IceCream

Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:13 am

Acey wrote:
dmanonice wrote:
WS has seen significant fleet stress in the years leading up to COVID which explains the delay in re-painting the fleet,

Sure. I just find myself wondering if any airline in North American history has announced a new livery and not painted a single frame 4.5 years later. Not even asking in a passive-aggressive way, just genuinely curious if this is the slowest livery rollout of all time because it's definitely up there.

It probably is. It's the "new" livery but when you think about it, wow it was rolled out a while ago. You would think that at a certain point they'd start painting frames, maybe they just never will lol

1050flyer

Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:41 am

tofur wrote:
od-bwh wrote:

With the refurbishment of the A321's, is it likely that AC will reconfigure the seating to a more dense layout, or maybe one with more business seating (20J) rather than the 16J currently configured on the 321s? I would imagine that the current configuration will not stick around if they are completely refurbishing the seating?

dmanonice

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:04 pm

IceCream wrote:
Acey wrote:
dmanonice wrote:

It probably is. It's the "new" livery but when you think about it, wow it was rolled out a while ago. You would think that at a certain point they'd start painting frames, maybe they just never will lol

It certainly is moving at a tediously slow pace that is for sure. There were 2 aircraft that I know of that went into paint in late 2018 and emerged wearing the old livery with the maple leaf logo, and then 2019 was supposed to be the first re-paints. Seems at least WS is committed to the colours the 3 new -800 freighters are in the new colours and one of them should be tail 807 which *technically* means they have painted a single frame into the new colours.

I can think of a few other slow roll outs, United comes to mind, considering there were frames that went from battleship directly to the golden globe (aka Continental livery). Spirit also comes to mind, with the Silver, Rainbow and Yellow schemes all co-existing.

tofur

Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:24 pm

1050flyer wrote:
tofur wrote:
od-bwh wrote:

With the refurbishment of the A321's, is it likely that AC will reconfigure the seating to a more dense layout, or maybe one with more business seating (20J) rather than the 16J currently configured on the 321s? I would imagine that the current configuration will not stick around if they are completely refurbishing the seating?

I do not recall seeing any further updates about seating plans. It is only speculation on my part, but when I saw that the rear galley complex was being changed my immediate thought was the addition of passenger seats. A few years ago the Airbus 321 front galley complex was halved in size which led to the addition of passenger seats. If the 321 rear galley is switched to a style like the 737MAX, it would allow the repositioning of the aft lavs to aft of door 4 and create space for a few more seats. Galley layouts are rarely changed unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Once again, this is only speculation on my part.

EdmFlyBoi

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:36 pm

777luver wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

False. False. False. And False.

Yes totally agree that that is false. AC barely has enough lift at the moment. It would seem highly unlikely that any wide body is returned without a replacement.

EdmFlyBoi

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:46 pm

tofur wrote:
od-bwh wrote:

Rumour is that some of the younger A320’s will be be refurbished as well depending on if AC decides to keep them. There are 8 A320’s that are the same age as the A321’s. Alternatively, they will be returned to lessor (all are leased) as the rest of the A220 order comes into the fleet if the travel demand does not persist.

EdmFlyBoi

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:53 pm

1050flyer wrote:
tofur wrote:
od-bwh wrote:

Unlikely. Swapping aircraft is easier if the J cabins are similar. I actually thought it was odd that the XLR’s are going to have 14 seats versus 12 or 16 which has been the configurations AC has seemed to settle on (although the old mainline A320’s have 14). AC reduced the J cabin size to 12 on the refurbished Rouge A321’s from 16. J demand is greatest on YVR/YYC-YYZ/YUL, and these routes often have wide bodies (and will likely have XLR’s when not a wide body). Much different from the US market where the larger narrow bodies have 20 F seats.

Polot

Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:45 pm

EdmFlyBoi wrote:
1050flyer wrote:
tofur wrote:

Unlikely. Swapping aircraft is easier if the J cabins are similar. I actually thought it was odd that the XLR’s are going to have 14 seats versus 12 or 16 which has been the configurations AC has seemed to settle on (although the old mainline A320’s have 14). AC reduced the J cabin size to 12 on the refurbished Rouge A321’s from 16. J demand is greatest on YVR/YYC-YYZ/YUL, and these routes often have wide bodies (and will likely have XLR’s when not a wide body). Much different from the US market where the larger narrow bodies have 20 F seats.

The XLR will have lieflat international J seats, so it doesn’t really matter if the numbers don’t match the A321ceo because the product will be radically different regardless.

yzfElite

Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:26 am

dr1980 wrote:

Indeed, but embarrassing they still haven't made any effort to get wifi on them yet. Unfortunate I have to hope for a 321 on a transcon because of that since the max 8 is so comfortable in comparison.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos