Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

indcwby
Topic Author

YouTube Vlogger Captures DL Diversion

Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:00 am

YouTube Vlogger Xiaomanyc captures DL 9923 diversion on July 25th due to fuel imbalance issue. Has some direct footage with Captain of flight on the fuel imbalance issue. Coincidentally, same aircraft had a diversion previous day as DL 210 to Prague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUr8ybO39XA

oldannyboy

Re: YouTube Vlogger Captures DL Diversion

Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:44 am

Wow, I watched that and jeeesh... the guy is waaaayyyy over-reacting... but I suppose it's a way to get more likes to the video??

N14AZ

Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:20 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Wow, I watched that and jeeesh... the guy is waaaayyyy over-reacting... but I suppose it's a way to get more likes to the video??

Yeah, I just wasted 2 minutes of my remaining life time before I stopped the video. Did he really say „near death experience“? Didn’t listen well, was too distracted by all the garbage in the background.

Boeing757100

Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:34 pm

N14AZ wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Yeah, I just wasted 2 minutes of my remaining life time before I stopped the video. Did he really say „near death experience“? Didn’t listen well, was too distracted by all the garbage in the background.

As expected with popular youtubers. Will do anything for views :banghead:

tjwgrr

Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:46 pm

Newsweek picked up on this sensationalist story..... I wonder what they paid him for it?

https://www.newsweek.com/terror-delta-p ... el-1728612

2eng2efficient

Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:06 pm

Obviously the guy is sensationalist and comes off a bit thick (“I didn’t realize you needed a visa to visit Ghana”).

But I am very intrigued that the Captain let him in the cockpit once back at JFK and gave a pretty clear explanation of the fuel imbalance. I’m sure corporate comms loves that!

Presumably the pilot was checking the wing for a visible fuel leak. I wonder if they actually had one.

If you zoom in on the cockpit shot, they have the Aft and Fwd right side pumps ON, Aft left side pump ON, Fwd left side pump OFF, Center pumps ON, crossfeed valve closed. APU is on and if I remember correctly, it depends on the Aft Left fuel pump so I guess that config makes sense. Can’t read the fuel totals which would be interesting info given the context.

The infamous Air Transat A332 incident comes to mind - a case study in why vigilance on the fuel system is critical!

IFlyVeryLittle

Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:27 pm

This is why smart people don't use YouTube for news. And Newsweek? Well, let's just say that publication has seen better days.
"As a result of Smith's huge online following, the captain recognized him as he was leaving the plane and allowed him into the cockpit for a conversation about what happened, which Smith shared."

AirKevin

Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:05 pm

2eng2efficient wrote:
Can’t read the fuel totals which would be interesting info given the context.

33,100 pounds for the left, 37,300 pounds for the right, and 1,300 for the center for a total of 71,700 pounds.

santi319

Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:17 pm

This is why the Kardashians are famous…

F9Animal

Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:35 pm

N14AZ wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Exactly!!! Way overdramatic. I have flown hundreds upon hundreds of times. The biggest thing I ever had was an engine issue after takeoff on a Dornier 328. Captain shut down the number 1 engine. Now... I was scared big time. We landed back at the airport with absolutely no issue. I have hit severe turbulence a few times, and got a little scared.

Anyways, he is being way overdramatic. I watched the whole thing, and honestly wanted to exit about 2 minutes into the video. Telling people he nearly died, and threw in some tears. Sorry buddy, but that crew did everything to get you back safely. There was close call or anything like that.

usflyer msp

Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:15 am

That was cringe and he was being a drama queen.

SEAorPWM

Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:41 am

Business Insider felt the need to publish this "story" twice. Talking about going down the tubes as a reputable news source... :swirl:

dcajet

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:04 am

"My plane ran out of fuel"; "The closest I've been to a near death experience" ... Oh puh lease, spare us the drama and the clickbait.

FlyingHonu001

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:56 am

Judging from his content of this particular vlogger, this guy is not into AV like us. But the captain gave him access to the flight deck under the assumption that he was. Its kinda a hilarious to see the captain explaining all the technicalities to someone who is a complete noob... :rotfl: He didnt document the full explanation from the captain, cause it was too difficult for him to comprehend I think.

Lootess

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:44 am

I'm sure the pilots knew about Air Transat 236, even those pilots (or was it the FAs) went to the wing to check. Nonetheless the pilots did the right thing to just turn back if the computer nor manually able correct on their own.

Of course this doesn't hold a candle to a near-death experience like that flight was, I figured this wasn't an AV fanatic before I clicked the vid.

hz747300

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:49 am

tjwgrr wrote:
Newsweek picked up on this sensationalist story..... I wonder what they paid him for it?

https://www.newsweek.com/terror-delta-p ... el-1728612

Well, the magazine sold for a dollar once, so it probably wasn't much....

Blerg

Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:13 pm

Regardless of this cringe overdose, I have a technical question. If this happens during a night flight, how easy/difficult is it to spot a fuel leak from the wing outside?

aviatorcraig

Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:55 pm

Blerg wrote:
Regardless of this cringe overdose, I have a technical question. If this happens during a night flight, how easy/difficult is it to spot a fuel leak from the wing outside?

This was virtually a night flight, the 767-300 took off from JFK at 17.13 and flew east into the approaching dusk. Ignore the picture of the wing in bright daylight at 3.04 on the video, the 767 has miraculously morphed into an A320!
To answer your question, the crew would use a flashlight.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:22 pm

Self promotion!!

AirKevin

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:35 pm

Looks like both 74 Gear and MentourPilot commented on the video. 74 Gear responded with an explanation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTG1ah53LBE

MentourPilot might be doing a short video explaining it.

jetskipper

Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:26 pm

Blerg wrote:

You can either identify the fuel visually or with the cross feed valves closed note the fuel and then if the imbalance increases X value of Y time you have confirmed the leak. For instance in the 737s it’s 500 pounds in 30 minutes.

jetskipper

Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:29 pm

jetskipper wrote:
Blerg wrote:

You can either identify the fuel leak visually or with the cross feed valves closed note the fuel and then if the imbalance increases X value over Y time you have confirmed the leak. For instance in the 737s it’s 500 pounds in 30 minutes.

Blerg

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:44 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies.

ASFlyer

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:51 pm

what a drama queen

cpd

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:59 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Could it be to get reactions from people on aviation sites who will comment about the video, sharing it further and getting him even more views? ;)

Karlsands

Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:36 pm

what a loser

F9Animal

Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:55 am

cpd wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Could it be to get reactions from people on aviation sites who will comment about the video, sharing it further and getting him even more views? ;)

Doubt it. He is clearly trying to get likes and more followers. The tears had me laughing. I can be pretty dramatic myself, but this tops drama beyond words.

a36001

Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:33 am

"This is one of the many problems with social media and phone camera's, any moron is now a film maker with the ability to express an opinion about something they know absolutely nothing about! All in the hope they can fulfill their empty lives with 'likes" or 'comments'....sad really"

Never a more accurate statement has ever been put on youtube comments!

Faro

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:09 am

2eng2efficient wrote:
Obviously the guy is sensationalist and comes off a bit thick (“I didn’t realize you needed a visa to visit Ghana”).

Yes...and that may account for a measure of authenticity in his reaction...not necessarily sensationalism as such...because if you're a bit thick and know next to nothing of the aviation world...you may have felt your life was genuinely at risk...

Faro

AirKevin

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:21 am

Faro wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:

Yes...and that may account for a measure of authenticity in his reaction...not necessarily sensationalism as such...because if you're a bit thick and know next to nothing of the aviation world...you may have felt your life was genuinely at risk...

Sure, but he shot most of the video after the fact, so he obviously knew the plane didn't run out of fuel over the Atlantic, because if it did, he wouldn't have been at his house shooting the video in the first place. Therefore his title was very misleading.

theBlingGoblin

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:22 pm

If I'm on that plane and I see the pilot peering out at the wing and hear about a fuel problem - I'm imagining about a million different scenarios (from gremlins, to wings falling off, to leaking fuel) that have me thinking an outcome other than a routine return to NY is possible.

The guy is a super popular language YouTuber with over 5 million subscribers. He hardly needs such publicity to draw attention to his site. If that's me, I'm not sharing my final words to my family... but those types are used to sharing most everything.

I think what we saw was a pretty genuine (if not completely informed) reaction... which is what you'd expect from someone like him.

silentbob

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:08 pm

theBlingGoblin wrote:
The guy is a super popular language YouTuber with over 5 million subscribers. He hardly needs such publicity to draw attention to his site.

That type of publicity is exactly how he got to 5 million subscribers. Drama sells

atsiang

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:39 pm

silentbob wrote:
theBlingGoblin wrote:
The guy is a super popular language YouTuber with over 5 million subscribers. He hardly needs such publicity to draw attention to his site.

That type of publicity is exactly how he got to 5 million subscribers. Drama sells

You have no idea what you are talking about. He got to 5 mil because of his content and not because of him being a drama queen and he's hardly a drama person with his other videos. I've followed him for a long time. I agree that his video on the DL flight was a bit over the top but his other videos are not.

IFlyVeryLittle

Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:37 pm

The airplane wasn't the only thing that was unbalanced in this video.

jacrowley48

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:27 pm

Good gravy. As much as I wanted to see how bad his acting would get, I had to turn it off when he was in the lav telling his family goodbye. What a dolt.

tjwgrr

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:03 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
The airplane wasn't the only thing that was unbalanced in this video.

He strikes me as someone who probably lives in the basement of this parent's house. Mummy and Daddy need to tell him to clean up the rummage in his room- what a mess!

FlyBoy747

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:30 pm

atsiang wrote:
silentbob wrote:
theBlingGoblin wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. He got to 5 mil because of his content and not because of him being a drama queen and he's hardly a drama person with his other videos. I've followed him for a long time. I agree that his video on the DL flight was a bit over the top but his other videos are not.

I would have to agree with you Atsiang. I've followed his videos and have enjoyed his content when it comes to speaking different languages; however, this video was a bit...much. It was the title of the video that got me; because that is a total lie. Especially with the Captain talking at the end; clearly he didn't say "ran out of fuel". This creator may not have intended for the video to be perceived as "clickbait" but with a title like his, it is hard to ignore that reality. YT and their algorithms make people do crazy things for views and if he was truly scared; his emotional state combine with the need to navigate getting clicks...it would be easy to make the jump to this kind of video. No one is perfect...we're only human.

AirKevin

Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 pm

theBlingGoblin wrote:
I think what we saw was a pretty genuine (if not completely informed) reaction... which is what you'd expect from someone like him.

Sure, but what about the title of the video, which reads "My plane ran out of fuel over the Atlantic Ocean." Clearly, by the time he shot the video to explain everything, it was pretty obvious that the plane did not, in fact, run out of fuel over the Atlantic Ocean, because if it did, he wouldn't be at home shooting the video in the first place, nor would the plane have made it back to JFK. The title alone was what led me to believe he was overreacting and being overdramatic.

Breathe

Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:51 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Looks like both 74 Gear and MentourPilot commented on the video. 74 Gear responded with an explanation here:

Fair play to Xiaomanyc, he got 74 Gear to join him on a response video he's just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQTMx7TZ9A

and pinned a comment at the top of the comments in the original video and video description:

Hey everyone, I want to acknowledge the valid criticism of this video from the aviation community. At the time this incident happened this is honestly how I felt, but I have since learned that this situation was not nearly as dangerous as I initially thought. In a subsequent video the pilot YouTuber 74 Gear helps us take a more objective look at the situation and what actually happened, and more generally how safe planes are. You can watch that video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQTMx7TZ9A

AirKevin

Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 pm

Breathe wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

Fair play to Xiaomanyc, he got 74 Gear to join him on a response video he's just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQTMx7TZ9A

and pinned a comment at the top of the comments in the original video and video description:

Hey everyone, I want to acknowledge the valid criticism of this video from the aviation community. At the time this incident happened this is honestly how I felt, but I have since learned that this situation was not nearly as dangerous as I initially thought. In a subsequent video the pilot YouTuber 74 Gear helps us take a more objective look at the situation and what actually happened, and more generally how safe planes are. You can watch that video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQTMx7TZ9A

I did see the comment on the original video and responded accordingly. I have not, however, seen the new video. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have a look at it tomorrow when I have access to a computer with Internet.

fsnuffer

Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:49 pm

I have watched this guys other videos, non-aviation, and they are pretty good. He speaks perfect Chinese and he goes into China town and the locals start talking smack about him right in front of him and he switches to Chinese. Their reactions are pretty funny. I think he also just posted an apology to the aviation community in his comments.

Boeing757100

Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:59 pm

fsnuffer wrote:
I have watched this guys other videos, non-aviation, and they are pretty good. He speaks perfect Chinese and he goes into China town and the locals start talking smack about him right in front of him and he switches to Chinese. Their reactions are pretty funny. I think he also just posted an apology to the aviation community in his comments.

That's a first. At least a youtuber admits their mistake. Glad to hear and hope he is doing well

Faro

Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:42 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Faro wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:

Sure, but he shot most of the video after the fact, so he obviously knew the plane didn't run out of fuel over the Atlantic, because if it did, he wouldn't have been at his house shooting the video in the first place. Therefore his title was very misleading.

Yes, granted...that is a valid point...

Faro

lxman1

Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:50 pm

cpd wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

After reading through the comments here, I will not give him the pleasure of another "hit" on his stupid video. Thanks for the warning. I need a find a way to make money being a unintelligent, drama queen!! I won't watch anything that has anything to do with a big booty "K" or their mom/step mom or step dad, whatever he is now.

atsiang

Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:39 pm

lxman1 wrote:
cpd wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

After reading through the comments here, I will not give him the pleasure of another "hit" on his stupid video. Thanks for the warning. I need a find a way to make money being a unintelligent, drama queen!! I won't watch anything that has anything to do with a big booty "K" or their mom/step mom or step dad, whatever he is now.

Another ignorant comment about who the vlogger really is. Have you or others seen his channel? He may just be very well freaked out about flying, more so than us aviation geeks. He actually works very hard to study and SPEAK different languages to be the vlogger that he is right now. Hardly an unintelligent individual. How many languages can you speak?

lxman1

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:43 pm

I don't support any of these self important people. I have better ways to waste my time.

gatibosgru

Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:03 am

Not everyone is an enthusiast or expert, sure it's dramatic but if you were on a boat and don't understand about sailing/boating you may freak out for no reason. Lots of more immature and dramatic responses here than his video.

Lootess

Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:51 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Not everyone is an enthusiast or expert, sure it's dramatic but if you were on a boat and don't understand about sailing/boating you may freak out for no reason. Lots of more immature and dramatic responses here than his video.

There is an aspect of either showing everything the pilot said to let the content speak better about something he doesn't have personal knowledge in, instead of being a Tiktok scientist.

If anything it gave Kelsey of 74 Gear content for the week since he likes to do content like ATC vs Pilots and Tiktok roasts.
https://youtu.be/gTG1ah53LBE

Blerg

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:48 am

gatibosgru wrote:

Only difference is that people who leave immature comments on here don't go making YouTube videos about it in order to attract even more attention.

Fuling

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:08 am

He should be a movie producer. He knows how to get shots of planes which he wasn't even on. An A320, a B737, any more? (I skipped most of it tbh)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos