Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TriJets
Topic Author

Man falls from plane near RDU; plane makes rough landing afterwards

Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:14 am

https://abc11.com/emergency-landing-rdu ... /12082989/
https://www.wral.com/body-man-who-jumpe ... /20395362/

Quite the strange and tragic incident at RDU today. A CASA C-212 took off from Raeford and while near RDU evidently had an issue with its right main landing gear. The plane had two occupants on board (unknown if both were pilots or if one was a pilot and one was a passenger). One of the occupants fell to his death from the plane. The plane then made an emergency landing at RDU, where it slid off of the runway. The pilot was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

Speculation is that perhaps the man who fell from the plane was attempting to look at or fix the landing gear in flight when he fell.

mga707

Re: Man falls from plane near RDU; plane makes rough landing afterwards

Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:19 am

For those who don't know, the CASA 212 has fixed (non-retracting) landing gear.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:14 am

F9Animal

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:34 am

TriJets wrote:
https://abc11.com/emergency-landing-rdu-body-found-twin-engine-turboprop-plane/12082989/

Quite the strange and tragic incident at RDU today. A CASA C-212 took off from Raeford and while near RDU evidently had an issue with its right main landing gear. The plane had two occupants on board (unknown if both were pilots or if one was a pilot and one was a passenger). One of the occupants fell to his death from the plane. The plane then made an emergency landing at RDU, where it slid off of the runway. The pilot was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

Speculation is that perhaps the man who fell from the plane was attempting to look at or fix the landing gear in flight when he fell.

This story is crazy! I wonder what the pilot will have to say? I have heard of some crazy accidents, but this one is just head scratching!

LabQuest

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:49 am

Planned suicide?

mga707

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:49 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

What's the date on that WaPo story? Couldn't find one. Pre-'91, as it involved an Eastern Express carrier.

Spacepope

Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:36 am

mga707 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

What's the date on that WaPo story? Couldn't find one. Pre-'91, as it involved an Eastern Express carrier.

Based on the URL, 1987

bennett123

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:04 am

TriJets wrote:
https://abc11.com/emergency-landing-rdu-body-found-twin-engine-turboprop-plane/12082989/

It says the man who died was the Co Pilot.

Aesma

Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:40 am

I don't see what he could fix. Look at it to see in what state it is, OK.

KCaviator

Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:44 am

I feel like there's going to be some juicy details that end up getting uncovered.

TriJets
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:52 pm

Victim identified as 23 year-old pilot.

https://www.wral.com/23-year-old-pilot- ... /20396343/

Leej

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:25 pm

You think he opened the door to look out and check gear.....and fell?

TriJets
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:32 pm

Leej wrote:

That is my best theory.

AngelsDecay

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Full video of the landing...no Right Wheel »»»

https://www.wral.com/on-cam-plane-makes ... /20395379/

Aurantiaco

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:55 pm

AngelsDecay wrote:

Wasn't the victim checking the landing gear? Maybe they hit the wheel on the way down?

Boeing757100

Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:09 pm

RIP to the copilot/passenger(?) on the flight who fell down. May he rest in peace and his family find peace.

F9Animal

Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:14 pm

Leej wrote:

That is the only plausible explanation I could think of. My mind wonders if the pilot had a freak out or something? Sure hope they are able to get better details on what prompted this.

bennett123

Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:38 pm

He unbuckled, opened the door and leaned out.

Surely there had to be a safer way.

zeke

Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:40 am

bennett123 wrote:
He unbuckled, opened the door and leaned out.

Surely there had to be a safer way.

I believe the aircraft was being used for parachute jumps, would not be unusual for pilots to have access to a parachute on those aircraft.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:06 am

If doors are open for paradrop, any one not belted in needs to either wear a parachute or be in a safety harness restricting movement near open doors. If the story is true about wheel coming, there’s no reason to open a door and look. It cannot be fixed airborne and the landing procedure won’t change. Assume a wheel is off, follow the procedure or just land.

freakyrat

Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:39 am

I made some skydives from this very same airplane. This airplane is now contracted to the military for jumps. I suspect from what other skydivers posted on facebook that the ramp was still open and the Copilot who was not wearing a parachute or if he initially was wearing a parachute he unbuckled the harness before he went back to inspect whatever., slipped and fell on the floor and out he went.

Aesma

Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:28 pm

I'm assuming there is a regulation about pilots/passengers wearing a parachute when dropping skydivers, not just because of open doors but also because the aircraft can become unairworthy due to a collision with a skydiver, chute, etc.

Astronage

Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:53 pm

Aurantiaco wrote:
AngelsDecay wrote:

Wasn't the victim checking the landing gear? Maybe they hit the wheel on the way down?

As gruesome as that sounds, human bodies are not solid enough to cause something that is made to bear the weight of a plane to fall off.

zeke

Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:30 am

Aesma wrote:
I'm assuming there is a regulation about pilots/passengers wearing a parachute when dropping skydivers, not just because of open doors but also because the aircraft can become unairworthy due to a collision with a skydiver, chute, etc.

Not that I am aware of, and the aircraft in question was designed and certified to be flown with the aft door open. Normally the requirements are more related to aircraft that are modified for the role.

Ceamajay

Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:35 am

Condolences to the family of the copilot; an accidental fall seems like the most likely scenario. That being said, the pilot deserves a lot of credit for a textbook single-gear landing with only that little ground loop at the end. Nice bit of flying.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:39 am

zeke wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Not that I am aware of, and the aircraft in question was designed and certified to be flown with the aft door open. Normally the requirements are more related to aircraft that are modified for the role.

The military standard is a safety harness, if not wearing a chute. Lanyard is attached to floor hooks it’s leather prohibiting movement beyond the ramp. In any case, I can’t see a reason to try to inspect the gear from inside.

cloudboy

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:22 am

What does this type of plane have for doors? From all that I am reading, it took off with two people, so it does not sound like it was doing skydiving. Whether the copilot jumped or fell, one of the doors should be open, no?

mga707

Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:24 am

cloudboy wrote:
What does this type of plane have for doors? From all that I am reading, it took off with two people, so it does not sound like it was doing skydiving. Whether the copilot jumped or fell, one of the doors should be open, no?

From photos, it looks like most CASAs have a fuselage door in front, one in the rear (on opposite sides), and the rear ramp, which is usually where skydivers exit the aircraft.

dragon6172

Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:40 pm

cloudboy wrote:

I'd imagine he went out the rear cargo ramp and not a side door. Pictures of the aircraft after landing show the side doors closed and latched and the ramp open. The side doors could have been closed post landing, but I doubt it.

MrBretz

Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:34 pm

I just saw this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ai ... -rcna41263

It says that the ATC was told by the pilot that the other guy jumped out of the plane.

TriJets
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:36 pm

New information released from the NTSB today. Sounds like the jump/fall may have been intentional.

https://www.wral.com/before-jumping-fro ... /20420061/

WayexTDI

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:56 pm

TriJets wrote:
New information released from the NTSB today. Sounds like the jump/fall may have been intentional.

Suicide by jumping? That's a rough way to go...

ADent

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:57 pm

From https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/ ... 105636/pdf

Accident Number: ERA22LA348

Both pilots called for a go-around maneuver, which the SIC initiated; however, before the SIC could arrest the airplane’s sink rate and initiate a climb, the right main landing gear (RMLG) impacted the runway surface. The PIC assumed the flight controls upon the airplane reaching 400 ft agl, then flew a low approach over NR20 to have airfield personnel verify damage. The personnel subsequently called the PIC to let him know that they recovered the fractured RMLG on the runway. The PIC directed the SIC to declare an emergency and request a diversion to RDU for landing.

The PIC reported that there was moderate turbulence during the flight, and that about 20 minutes into the diversion to RDU, after conducting approach and emergency briefings, the SIC became visibly upset about the hard landing.

The PIC described that about this time the SIC opened his side cockpit window, and “may have gotten sick.” The PIC took over radio communications, and the SIC lowered the ramp in the back of the airplane, indicating that felt like he was going to be sick and needed air. The PIC stated that the SIC then got up from his seat, removed his headset, apologized, and departed the airplane via the aft ramp door.

F9Animal

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:21 am

TriJets wrote:

Did this particular aircraft have a CVR? Is it possible for the PIC to look back and see from that vantage point? Now I wonder if the copilot was so distraught over the accident, he thought he would lose his license or something. I mean, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Such a young life with an incredible flying career ahead of him too. I feel deeply for his family. The agony must be awful.

atcsundevil

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:27 am

It doesn't appear to be clear whether the death was accidental or intentional, and given the details which have been released, it doesn't appear that there will be a definitive answer.

Take this for what it's worth, but based on what I've read from what are purported to be firsthand accounts of this operator, it was allegedly quite a hostile environment to be working in. The operator primarily engaged in military contract work, which is unsurprising given the high volume of military jump flights in Central NC. Apparently the operator had a climate of intimidation, and most of the crew were former military. Should any of that prove to be true, it's possible that the incident and stressful chain of events which occurred thereafter contributed to the man's death. People can sometimes act strangely in stressful situations, and with severely damaged landing gear, it may have impacted his decision making if the act was intentional, or it may have contributed to severe nausea/anxiety if the act was accidental. Given those accusations (or at least rumors), I suspect there will be some focus on the loperator as part of the investigation. Regardless of the results, I doubt we'll ever know exactly what happened.

With the apparent lack of clarity on the chain of events, I think people should refrain from rushing to judgement by implying that the man intentionally jumped or acted recklessly when the possibility exists that he was simply responding irrationally to a deeply distressing situation. It's always easy to judge when you've never been in such a scenario to know how you'd react.

ERJ170

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:31 am

I read it as he got sick and might have fallen out of the plane. But I guess there is a lot of interpretation.

OMP777X

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:19 am

ERJ170 wrote:
I read it as he got sick and might have fallen out of the plane. But I guess there is a lot of interpretation.

That was my interpretation of the information provided also. It sounds like from what the captain said the co-pilot said sorry, went to get air after he opened the door, and then fell out without grabbing the bar at the top of the door. It seems like maybe he was disoriented from the anxiety, had air sickness, and possibly began to panic.

LaunchDetected

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:39 am

I remember a recent story about a woman who jumped from a plane in Madagascar. At first medias reported how the poor woman was frustrated and disappointed by her research project and that she was subject to paranoia attacks. In the end it was revealed that her behaviour was caused by a reaction to anti-malaria treatment.
Probably not the same story there but we should not try to guess the intentions of the poor guy.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos