Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

melpax

Re: Qantas announces 3 weekly AKL-JFK

Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:20 pm

airbazar wrote:

You'd have to be a special kind of crazy to fly from Australia to S.America via MIA when you have SCL and EZE as options, and even DFW would save you hours.
What MIA does offer apart from its own reasonable O&D traffic is connections to the Southeast U.S. and Europe on both AA and partners.

No Australian in their right mind would go to the trouble of applying for an ETSA & transiting a US airport to travel to Europe or South America when there are easier options. Not to mention that there are significant numbers of Australian Permament Residents who's home countries are not in the ETSA program & would therefore need to apply for a full visa just to transit an airport....

There would be a bit of holiday traffic to Mexico, mostly CUN, which would be best served as an AA connection from DFW, or LAX for the Pacific resorts.

dcajet

Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:46 pm

ADDICT4QF wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Great Qantas is going as direct as they can to JFK avoiding LAX. They fly to San Francisco & DFW too. So with their two California gateways and the AA powerhouse hub in America's middle what's next, Miami ?

MIA is unlikely given it doesn't really give any connection options not already offered by DFW and there is only limited O&D demand for the route. There has been talk about SEA but, once again, limited O&D and no real connections on top of those already offered by LAX and YVR means it remains unlikely.

MIA - with an aircraft of the right gauge and range - is actually a good market after serving and consolidating on the other main gateways. There is premium cabin demand, the AU-Florida market is a reasonable size (particularly with the growing cruise market) and opens up the Carribean (and an option to South American cities).

Not trying to be contrarian, but do you actually have numbers that speak to the size of the Florida - Australia market to would warrant direct flights? It seems to me that most Australians visiting FL do it after previously having been in California, Texas or NY,. As to demand to the Caribbean, why would most Australians or Kiwis bother with the Caribbean when they have paradise next door all over the South Pacific? Remember that California, whose economy is larger than the whole of Australia's can't even support consistent over time direct services to the Caribbean other than to Cancun?

As to South American demand to be funneled thru MIA... Well, the only two markets that have enough traffic for direct flights to AU/NZ and are currently not served are Argentina and Brazil. Clearly, connecting thru SCL is a no brainer. Why would they take the long way to down under? And even for LIM and BOG, the other two markets with some meaningful feed, SCL is, too, a no brainer.
Last edited by dcajet on Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dfwfanboy

Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:48 pm

NZ516 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
Is this a Fifth Freedom route for QF?

I doubt it because Australia and New Zealand are usually considered one common market. That said, this is surprising as I do not see the market supporting that much AKL to JFK. This would only be until Project Sunrise's planes are online and then AKL can be dropped for SYD nonstop (and MEL nonstop?).

That said, QF B789s are more premium than the NZ B789s that will ply the same AKL-JFK route.

Alan Joyce said in the ET article that Qantas will stay on this AKL to JFK route long term. They probably will increase the route to daily and push Air NZ off the route altogether. The market certainly won't be big enough for two airlines.
This announcement today of them starting this route will be a real kick to the guts to Air NZ.

I could see this QF route pushing NZ to EWR since it would be a great connecting point for much of the most populated parts of Canada in addition to NYC, but it's hard to see NZ leaving the route altogether when Star Alliance is stronger Point of sale at both ends of AKL-NYC (NYC overall... obviously not UA at JFK).

I do wonder if this will cause UA to open the NZ JV to Australia as well instead of just US-NZ so they can better compete with AA/QF JV that includes New Zealand, US, and Oz.

NZ516

Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 pm

dfwfanboy wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

I doubt it because Australia and New Zealand are usually considered one common market. That said, this is surprising as I do not see the market supporting that much AKL to JFK. This would only be until Project Sunrise's planes are online and then AKL can be dropped for SYD nonstop (and MEL nonstop?).

That said, QF B789s are more premium than the NZ B789s that will ply the same AKL-JFK route.

Alan Joyce said in the ET article that Qantas will stay on this AKL to JFK route long term. They probably will increase the route to daily and push Air NZ off the route altogether. The market certainly won't be big enough for two airlines.
This announcement today of them starting this route will be a real kick to the guts to Air NZ.

I could see this QF route pushing NZ to EWR since it would be a great connecting point for much of the most populated parts of Canada in addition to NYC, but it's hard to see NZ leaving the route altogether when Star Alliance is stronger Point of sale at both ends of AKL-NYC (NYC overall... obviously not UA at JFK).

I do wonder if this will cause UA to open the NZ JV to Australia as well instead of just US-NZ so they can better compete with AA/QF JV that includes New Zealand, US, and Oz.

Air NZ originally set it's sight on serving EWR two years ago but Covid came and put that on ice. They have since chosen on JFK for them to open up the New York market to NZ. Hopefully it will be still around in a year from now.

aemoreira1981

Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:13 pm

dhdaviation wrote:
This is the schedule I've found on Qantas' website.

QF3 departs Auckland at 1700, then arrives at JFK by 1715, 16h 15mins block time
QF4 departs JFK at 1930, then arrives at Auckland by 0500 two days later. 17h 30 mins block time

I wouldn’t be surprised to see NZ try to move up its flights now that it has competition.

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Christ that’s a massive stab at NZ! I’d be furious if I were them. I’m sure NZ will go after NZ-US point of sale with AU as a top up, and QF will be AU-US with NZ as a top up.

Interesting to see how connectivity goes. Much better transit experience than LAX was from AU once they improve the lounge. I see this being very popular from AU.

It'll only be a temporary route. You can expect QF to can it once the Sunrise A350s arrive.

QF says it wants to keep AKL-JFK and SYD-JFK simultaneously, believing JFK has enough O&D.

phatfarmlines

Re: Qantas announced 3 weekly AKL-JFK

Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:31 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Christ that’s a massive stab at NZ! I’d be furious if I were them.

I seem to recall NZ once flew LAX-SYD and QF flew LAX-AKL, maybe through the early 2000s?

flyguy1

Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:32 pm

NZ516 wrote:
dfwfanboy wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Air NZ originally set it's sight on serving EWR two years ago but Covid came and put that on ice. They have since chosen on JFK for them to open up the New York market to NZ. Hopefully it will be still around in a year from now.

NZ knew QF was going to start SYD-JFK when they announced AKL-JFK, I doubt they are surprised at all by this move of QF starting AKL-JFK first. Im confident they did their homework first, before starting this route.

MartijnNL

Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:49 pm

tullamarine wrote:
Initial sale fares are pretty attractive at around $6700 in J.

Not to me. That's almost two months salary. I would never spend so much money on an airplane ticket. It's way too much, really.

346fetish

Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:55 pm

New York-AKL is a 35PPDEW market. Wishing them good stim!

zkncj

Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:22 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Initial sale fares are pretty attractive at around $6700 in J.

Not to me. That's almost two months salary. I would never spend so much money on an airplane ticket. It's way too much, really.

In comparison though recently booking a Oneway trip across the Tasman (3-4hrs) in Y 6-2weeks out can set you back around 800-1000NZD/AUD. There is more demand than capacity, so prices have been high ex Australia and New Zealand.

On the NZ AKL-JFK flight you are looking around 14K NZD currently for a return ticket in J.

asuflyer

Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:52 pm

dhdaviation wrote:

QF3 departs Auckland at 1700, then arrives at JFK by 1715, 16h 15mins block time
QF4 departs JFK at 1930, then arrives at Auckland by 0500 two days later. 17h 30 mins block time

I can't imagine QF4 will ever be ontime, this will be challenging during the summer thunderstorm season.

NZ516

Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:58 pm

flyguy1 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
dfwfanboy wrote:

NZ knew QF was going to start SYD-JFK when they announced AKL-JFK, I doubt they are surprised at all by this move of QF starting AKL-JFK first. Im confident they did their homework first, before starting this route.

NZ are starting it first next month on SEP 17. While QF first AKL-JFK flight is 14 Jun 2023. I doubt Air NZ expected this provocative move by them.

a19901213

Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:23 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
dhdaviation wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see NZ try to move up its flights now that it has competition.

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Christ that’s a massive stab at NZ! I’d be furious if I were them. I’m sure NZ will go after NZ-US point of sale with AU as a top up, and QF will be AU-US with NZ as a top up.

Interesting to see how connectivity goes. Much better transit experience than LAX was from AU once they improve the lounge. I see this being very popular from AU.

It'll only be a temporary route. You can expect QF to can it once the Sunrise A350s arrive.

QF says it wants to keep AKL-JFK and SYD-JFK simultaneously, believing JFK has enough O&D.

It also makes more sense for people in other eastern coast cities to fly via AKL instead of transferring in SYD and vice versa. An international transfer is always better than transferring domestically.

zkncj

Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:30 pm

a19901213 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
dhdaviation wrote:

tullamarine wrote:

It also makes more sense for people in other eastern coast cities to fly via AKL instead of transferring in SYD and vice versa. An international transfer is always better than transferring domestically.

Which is something QF is probably starting to find out, with all the recent issues in SYD including having to increase MCT.

NZ has said there bookings post covid to North America, have been very strong.

Via AKL NZ offers seamless connections to YVR, SFO, LAX, IAH, ORD, JFK from CNS,MCY,BNE,SYD,MEL,HBA,ADL,PER.

a19901213

Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:44 pm

zkncj wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Which is something QF is probably starting to find out, with all the recent issues in SYD including having to increase MCT.

Via AKL NZ offers seamless connections to YVR, SFO, LAX, IAH, ORD, JFK from CNS,MCY,BNE,SYD,MEL,HBA,ADL,PER.

Absolutely.

I need to head to Chicago end of this year and NZ provides the easiest, shortest and cheapest itinerary.

I also have the option of going with QF&AA via DFW but the price is 2x higher.

aerohottie

Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:58 pm

NZ516 wrote:
flyguy1 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

NZ are starting it first next month on SEP 17. While QF first AKL-JFK flight is 14 Jun 2023. I doubt Air NZ expected this provocative move by them.

In all honesty, i'd be highly surprised if NZ hadn't modelled this move from QF in their business case for launching the route.
I suspect NZ will respond by increasing frequency on the route before QF starts, and by launching additional North American routes

dfwfanboy

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:00 am

a19901213 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
a19901213 wrote:

Absolutely.

I need to head to Chicago end of this year and NZ provides the easiest, shortest and cheapest itinerary.

All you’re really saying is that QF/aa are doing much better and able to price twice as high as NZ via AKL. That’s not great news for NZ but great news for you as a customer, for sure.

MIflyer12

Re: Qantas announced 3 weekly AKL-JFK

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:06 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Christ that’s a massive stab at NZ! I’d be furious if I were them.

I seem to recall NZ once flew LAX-SYD and QF flew LAX-AKL, maybe through the early 2000s?

I can recall NZ on LAX-SYD circa 1996. I remember an FA speaking of AKL-SYD-LAX-LHR and thinking that was a tough way to do AKL-LHR.

NZ516

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:16 am

aerohottie wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
flyguy1 wrote:

In all honesty, i'd be highly surprised if NZ hadn't modelled this move from QF in their business case for launching the route.
I suspect NZ will respond by increasing frequency on the route before QF starts, and by launching additional North American routes

Air NZ might not have the capacity to add extra flights to JFK.
I can't see them launching additional North American routes either they will bring up frequencies on SFO and IAH before this.

DENfan

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:23 am

zkncj wrote:

Not sure of the other Aus destinations, but ADL no longer has a business class connection to AKL on NZ...the A321neo is all economy for 5 hours and is the main reason I don't take the NZ offering when connecting to/from North America to ADL. Previously NZ was flying the 787s into ADL, so maybe they will return.

a19901213

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:27 am

dfwfanboy wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Absolutely.

All you’re really saying is that QF/aa are doing much better and able to price twice as high as NZ via AKL. That’s not great news for NZ but great news for you as a customer, for sure.

Surely QF is doing great in Australia-USA market but I doubt NZ is doing poorly given how hot the market is right now.

Even on NZ the price is way more expensive then what it was pre-covid, it’s just that QF is now charging an insane price.

Those who can afford it will still go with QF but I guess the point I want to make is why should I pay 2x the price when I can get shorter and easier transit in AKL instead of going through the domestic travel hell in US right now.

qf2220

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:32 am

A few comments/questions
1. What are the new HNL flight numbers going to be?
2. Given that connecting yields are generally lower than OD yields, Is there any benefit in having AKL-JFK as the connector flight for possibly (and relatively) lower yielding connections from other ports (eg ADL, HBA, CBR, BNE, PER OOL etc) and preserving the seats on the SYD-JKF and MEL-JFK for higher yielding O/D pax?
3. This looks interesting for PER O/D, which probably see quite a few pax head west on EK/EY etc. A shorter one stop on QF might draw a few pax back to QF.
4. Re NZ also running AKL-JFK. Surely QF and NZ would know that their deal would run out at some stage given actions on one side or the other. Is this the

jrfspa320

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:40 am

qf2220 wrote:
A few comments/questions
2. Given that connecting yields are generally lower than OD yields, Is there any benefit in having AKL-JFK as the connector flight for possibly (and relatively) lower yielding connections from other ports (eg ADL, HBA, CBR, BNE, PER OOL etc) and preserving the seats on the SYD-JKF and MEL-JFK for higher yielding O/D pax?
3. This looks interesting for PER O/D, which probably see quite a few pax head west on EK/EY etc. A shorter one stop on QF might draw a few pax back to QF.
4. Re NZ also running AKL-JFK. Surely QF and NZ would know that their deal would run out at some stage given actions on one side or the other. Is this the

eg ADL, HBA, CBR, BNE, PER OOL etc , QF only flies BNE-AKL and JQ from OOL so the from the other ports makes no difference.

Even if PER comes back the flights wouldnt connect anyway.

RyanairGuru

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:00 am

qf2220 wrote:
A few comments/questions

SYD-HNL is now QF103/104.

Happy to be corrected, but I think that changed before the Covid suspension?

ben175

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:07 am

melpax wrote:
airbazar wrote:

You'd have to be a special kind of crazy to fly from Australia to S.America via MIA when you have SCL and EZE as options, and even DFW would save you hours.
What MIA does offer apart from its own reasonable O&D traffic is connections to the Southeast U.S. and Europe on both AA and partners.

No Australian in their right mind would go to the trouble of applying for an ETSA & transiting a US airport to travel to Europe or South America when there are easier options. Not to mention that there are significant numbers of Australian Permament Residents who's home countries are not in the ETSA program & would therefore need to apply for a full visa just to transit an airport....

There would be a bit of holiday traffic to Mexico, mostly CUN, which would be best served as an AA connection from DFW, or LAX for the Pacific resorts.

I think you underestimate the sheer amount of BOG connections on QFs MEL/SYD-LAX services.

tullamarine

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:12 am

ben175 wrote:
melpax wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I think you underestimate the sheer amount of BOG connections on QFs MEL/SYD-LAX services.

So you agree it is already well served with non-stop connections from SCL, LAX and DFW so MIA remains unnecessary if you try to justify QF going to MIA on the basis on Central and South American connections.

zkncj

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:51 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
A few comments/questions

eg ADL, HBA, CBR, BNE, PER OOL etc , QF only flies BNE-AKL and JQ from OOL so the from the other ports makes no difference.

Yesterdays anncoucement hinted, at additional capacity into AKL. I would suspect we will soon see QF launch a few new Tasman routes, ADL-AKL could probably be a good fit for a QLink E190.

luckyone

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:09 am

melpax wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Why would Aussies fly all the way to CUN to stay in glorified liquor dispensaries when there PLENTY far closer to home such as Bali and Fiji.

jrfspa320

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:29 am

zkncj wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
A few comments/questions

Yesterdays anncoucement hinted, at additional capacity into AKL. I would suspect we will soon see QF launch a few new Tasman routes, ADL-AKL could probably be a good fit for a QLink E190.

I dont think the E190s have the equipment for overwater flights. NZ flights are generally operated by JC crew, so it would likely be 738 or nothing.

dfwfanboy

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:35 am

ben175 wrote:
melpax wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Did I misunderstand this? Who would QF be code-sharing with on LAX-BOG? Isn’t AV the only carrier on the route?

tullamarine

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:21 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:

I dont think the E190s have the equipment for overwater flights. NZ flights are generally operated by JC crew, so it would likely be 738 or nothing.

Correct, the Alliance E90s are not currently approved for long overwater flights. Something like AKL-ADL is possible once the A220s arrive but until then it is 738s or JQ doing it with A320s.

BNEFlyer

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:47 am

NZ516 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
Is this a Fifth Freedom route for QF?

I doubt NZ would give up the route easily. Probably worst-case scenario for them is moving to EWR.

SCFlyer

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:53 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

I doubt NZ would give up the route easily. Probably worst-case scenario for them is moving to EWR.

Would depend if NZ could hold it's own on the AKL-JFK route considering the route is largely O&D. Whether if it's high yielding enough to support two competitors is the question.

Moving it to EWR would probably help in regards to UA connections (and the NZ/UA JV) if AKL-JFK doesn't work out for NZ.

oceanvikram

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:40 am

Brilliant move, now if they can bring back AKL-LAX and maybe include AKL-GRU (not sure what is the premium traffic like between OZ/NZ and Brazil, but with project sunrise order top up, should be able to make the trip). With the order of A321LR/XLR, they should commence flights from PER and ADL. Therefore creating an “external” scissor hub in AKL. I myself from Perth, going through AKL would be my personnel preference than MEL and SYD.

For NZ to hit back, is to time their flights from PER and ADL such that the connectivity for their North American flights would allow for a quick transfer. But EK and QR do provide compelling prices for east coast of North America including YUL, YYZ and ORD. In addition start flying to JNB via PER code sharing with SA and maybe CPT via PER/SYD.

And maybe its time for NZ to take the nuclear option … start domestic operations in Australia (they have rights). I would like to think they have had enough lesson learnt from Ansett and VA fiasco to now make it successful.

myki

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:46 am

BNEFlyer wrote:

Not sure why they moved from the announced EWR to now JFK, but I see EWR not as worst-case but best-case scenario. The connections available on UA are plentiful, plus is quicker to Manhattan from EWR than JFK ... although I get that many around the world know JFK as "the" airport to fly to and maybe some prestige factor involved here too.

ZK-NBT

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:49 am

oceanvikram wrote:
Brilliant move, now if they can bring back AKL-LAX and maybe include AKL-GRU (not sure what is the premium traffic like between OZ/NZ and Brazil, but with project sunrise order top up, should be able to make the trip). With the order of A321LR/XLR, they should commence flights from PER and ADL. Therefore creating an “external” scissor hub in AKL. I myself from Perth, going through AKL would be my personnel preference than MEL and SYD.

For NZ to hit back, is to time their flights from PER and ADL such that the connectivity for their North American flights would allow for a quick transfer. But EK and QR do provide compelling prices for east coast of North America including YUL, YYZ and ORD. In addition start flying to JNB via PER code sharing with SA and maybe CPT via PER/SYD.

And maybe its time for NZ to take the nuclear option … start domestic operations in Australia (they have rights). I would like to think they have had enough lesson learnt from Ansett and VA fiasco to now make it successful.

NZ ADL flights are timed to connect from North America, PER is a bit more difficult given it needs 2 daily services to work effectively.

It is doubtful we will see NZ add any 5th freedom routes ex Australia as that isn’t is their business plan but rather connect through AKL. QF have done this as they see the NZ service is a threat to them and need to get back to JFK sooner than Project surmise would allow

I’m quite sure we will see AA back on AKL-LAX.

tullamarine

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:55 am

oceanvikram wrote:

Air NZ is a relatively small airline in global terms that has only survived the past few years' ructions courtesy of significant funding from the New Zealand Government.

As for entering the Australian domestic market, I would expect any person who took such a proposal into the Air NZ board would be committing career suicide. Australia is a cosy duopoly currently occupied by 2 well-funded airlines that would be very hard to take meaningful market share from. Attempting to establish a new entrant from scratch would mean consigning NZ to years of losses with the probable write-off of the investment at the end anyway.

planemanofnz

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:10 am

346fetish wrote:
New York-AKL is a 35PPDEW market. Wishing them good stim!

It isn't about NYC-AKL though - it's about NYC-AKL, SYD, MEL, BNE, a bit of domestic NZ, a bit of Pacific Islands, and I guess eventually ADL, PER, OOL and CNS too, and keeping pressure on a core competitor (NZ) (reducing their scope to expand US-AU market share).

planemanofnz

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:12 am

tullamarine wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Correct, the Alliance E90s are not currently approved for long overwater flights. Something like AKL-ADL is possible once the A220s arrive but until then it is 738s or JQ doing it with A320s.

What would it take to get some of the E190 fleet certified? Presumably it is possible?

SCFlyer

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:19 am

oceanvikram wrote:

Pretty sure the current NZ management would have looked at that at some point and probably likely sheleved that indefinitely (if at all), considering the egos from all corners (NZ, AN, VA) have all made their contributions towards the subsequent liquidation (AN) or partnership divorce (VA).

A 'steady as she goes' NZ management which are tight with CapEx may not want to take a risk on a competitive and small market like Australia, which are known historically for not supporting a 3rd independent competitor for the long term.

NZ321

Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:46 am

myki wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:

Not sure why they moved from the announced EWR to now JFK, but I see EWR not as worst-case but best-case scenario. The connections available on UA are plentiful, plus is quicker to Manhattan from EWR than JFK ... although I get that many around the world know JFK as "the" airport to fly to and maybe some prestige factor involved here too.

EWR is a mess; it's going to be for a long time. NZ is fully aware of this. Now calls for it to be slot constricted again! Delays are shocking as are missed connections. JFK has a stunning redevelopment / expansion of terminal 1 coming in which many Star carriers will be housed and that is the terminal NZ will operate from; with ORD and IAH for connections onto UA, NZ is not going into NYC for UA connections. I suspect this is why they went to JFK.

melpax

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:40 am

luckyone wrote:
Why would Aussies fly all the way to CUN to stay in glorified liquor dispensaries when there PLENTY far closer to home such as Bali and Fiji.

Playa Del Carmen & Tulum are popular with Aussies. CUN less so. I've been to Playa myself for a friend's wedding.

ben175

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:45 pm

dfwfanboy wrote:
ben175 wrote:
melpax wrote:

Did I misunderstand this? Who would QF be code-sharing with on LAX-BOG? Isn’t AV the only carrier on the route?

They interline with AV, and it’s a surprisingly big market. Some days you’ll see more connections to BOG than JFK on QF93.

My point was, people do indeed connect to Latin America via the USA, even with the ESTA requirement. I agree that MIA has zero appeal as a QF destination.

jasoncrh

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:59 pm

You dont need codeshares, necessarily, for connectivity. Many airlines have interline agreements with each other (most do), and those are all you need to sell a connection between the two carriers. That's probably what's going on here.

dfwfanboy wrote:
ben175 wrote:
melpax wrote:

dcajet

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:56 pm

ben175 wrote:
dfwfanboy wrote:
ben175 wrote:

They interline with AV, and it’s a surprisingly big market. Some days you’ll see more connections to BOG than JFK on QF93.

My point was, people do indeed connect to Latin America via the USA, even with the ESTA requirement. I agree that MIA has zero appeal as a QF destination.

Isn't SCL a better connection point overall than LAX for those connecting to BOG from SYD/MEL?

dfwfanboy

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:31 pm

dcajet wrote:
ben175 wrote:
dfwfanboy wrote:

Isn't SCL a better connection point overall than LAX for those connecting to BOG from SYD/MEL?

I wondered the same and yes

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=syd-scl-bo ... yd-dfw-bog

dfwfanboy

Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:55 pm

a19901213 wrote:
dfwfanboy wrote:
a19901213 wrote:

Absolutely.

Surely QF is doing great in Australia-USA market but I doubt NZ is doing poorly given how hot the market is right now.

Even on NZ the price is way more expensive then what it was pre-covid, it’s just that QF is now charging an insane price.

Those who can afford it will still go with QF but I guess the point I want to make is why should I pay 2x the price when I can get shorter and easier transit in AKL instead of going through the domestic travel hell in US right now.

Completely agree.

Does anyone happen to know if this itinerary falls under the UA/NZ JV?
Syd-Akl-ord (I assume)

Oz isn’t in the JV but I don’t know how that plays with the Akl-ord leg that normally would be in the JV. UA would obviously prefer to put this guy on syd-Sfo-ord so it made me wonder How this itinerary works within their NZ-only JV.

seat1a

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:07 pm

Will the A350-1000 do these flights? Also, I found the AKL-LAX/GRU routes interesting - can A350-1000 do these, or can a 787-9 i the QF config do it as well?

ZK-NBT

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:14 pm

seat1a wrote:
Will the A350-1000 do these flights? Also, I found the AKL-LAX/GRU routes interesting - can A350-1000 do these, or can a 787-9 i the QF config do it as well?

From SYD/MEL the A350-1000 will do JFK, not from AKL, a 789 could do AKL-GRU, the return will be doable weather at max load I’m not sure. AKL-LAX, what are you asking here?

747megatop

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:41 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
Would this route be longer than a hypothetical ORD-SYD?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=akl-jfk,+syd-ord

ORD-SYD is still a bit longer.

Imagine if some airline started PER-JFK and AKL-LHR; those would be mind bogglingly mind numbing routes!

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=akl-jfk,+s ... k,+akl-lhr

Any chance those 2 non stops are remotely under consideration by QF or ANZ (provided of course if there is a demand for such non stops).
From a technical perspective how much of a load restriction would have to be there for the longest range A 350 to fly these 2 hypothetical routes?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos