Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZK-NBT

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2022

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:27 am

qf2048 wrote:
Maybe QF need to wet lease some aircraft and crew off one of their partners like EK or CX to fill a few of these gaps? Sure they have planes not flying?

Remember a few years ago with the volcanic ash QF were sending 744's into DPS to get QF and JQ pax out. Obviously they can't do that anymore.

There are plenty of planes not flying, because there isn’t the crew to fly them.

ArtV

Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:23 am

qf2048 wrote:
Maybe QF need to wet lease some aircraft and crew off one of their partners like EK or CX to fill a few of these gaps? Sure they have planes not flying?

Remember a few years ago with the volcanic ash QF were sending 744's into DPS to get QF and JQ pax out. Obviously they can't do that anymore.

CX doesn't have the crew to ramp up their own operations, let alone wet leasing. EK probably the same.
Best solution is probably a few Hi-Fly planes, which will cost, but they will more likely be available for what QF/JQ need.

EK413

Australian Aviation Thread - September 2022

Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:31 am

tullamarine wrote:
Lots of coverage on Melbourne radio this morning about delays for JQ pax stuck in DPS probably due to the 3 currently grounded 788s. Some pax have been told it may be a week before JQ can get them home and, even then, there are no guarantees flights they are rebooked on will happen. 1 person who was originally to come home on Friday was rebooked for next Friday but due to uncertainty booked his family home on VA on Thursday night at $900p.p.

It seems to be a bit of a mess; I can't help thinking QF are going to have to step in with some A330s to bring these stranded people home.

JQ are now down to 7 x B788’s hence QF had to step in & operate a SYD-HNL-SYD charter.

To an extent let’s give the airlines some (little bit) credit as they work through this disaster caused by covid. Most importantly the staff working through this. Last I heard JQ are operating multiple MEL-DPS-MEL recovery flights on A320 equipment as that’s all they have available to fill the void which begs the question how will they go without a B788 fleet.

angusjt wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Lots of coverage on Melbourne radio this morning about delays for JQ pax stuck in DPS probably due to the 3 currently grounded 788s. Some pax have been told it may be a week before JQ can get them home and, even then, there are no guarantees flights they are rebooked on will happen. 1 person who was originally to come home on Friday was rebooked for next Friday but due to uncertainty booked his family home on VA on Thursday night at $900p.p.

It seems to be a bit of a mess; I can't help thinking QF are going to have to step in with some A330s to bring these stranded people home.

I'm in HNL at the moment, flight up with Jetstar on Friday was delayed basically an entire day, no plane was ever at the gate so my assumption is that they must have known it wasn't going to take-off for a while. Communication from airline or airport staff was absent until well after the original departure time had passed, the airport departure boards, nor the jetstar app could consistently display when the flight would actually leave, only when another flight was done boarding did anybody come to tell us our flight was delayed for a day and tell us to go home.

The whole experience was probably the worst I've had with any airline, I've had lengthy delays, cancellations and even diversions with Qantas & Virgin before, we were always kept in the loop re: possible options and help desks was always available.

I'm due to fly back tommorrow but was emailed earlier today saying my flight due to leave at 8:30am has been delayed until... 8:30am? FR24 shows JQ3 (which will ultimately be my flight back) not departing SYD until 8pm this evening, until it's in the air my assumption will be that I'm spending another day here.

Surely there's a way to get a few a320s doing SYD/MEL-DRW-DPS in a similar manner to VA in order to free up a 787?

If you are travelling on the JQ4 (-VKE which came in from KIX via CNS) that appears to be departing 10am Monday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrfspa320

Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:58 am

EK413 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

JQ are now down to 7 x B788’s hence QF had to step in & operate a SYD-HNL-SYD charter.

To an extent let’s give the airlines some (little bit) credit as they work through this disaster caused by covid. Most importantly the staff working through this. Last I heard JQ are operating multiple MEL-DPS-MEL recovery flights on A320 equipment as that’s all they have available to fill the void which begs the question how will they go without a B788 fleet.

angusjt wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

I'm in HNL at the moment, flight up with Jetstar on Friday was delayed basically an entire day, no plane was ever at the gate so my assumption is that they must have known it wasn't going to take-off for a while. Communication from airline or airport staff was absent until well after the original departure time had passed, the airport departure boards, nor the jetstar app could consistently display when the flight would actually leave, only when another flight was done boarding did anybody come to tell us our flight was delayed for a day and tell us to go home.

The whole experience was probably the worst I've had with any airline, I've had lengthy delays, cancellations and even diversions with Qantas & Virgin before, we were always kept in the loop re: possible options and help desks was always available.

I'm due to fly back tommorrow but was emailed earlier today saying my flight due to leave at 8:30am has been delayed until... 8:30am? FR24 shows JQ3 (which will ultimately be my flight back) not departing SYD until 8pm this evening, until it's in the air my assumption will be that I'm spending another day here.

Surely there's a way to get a few a320s doing SYD/MEL-DRW-DPS in a similar manner to VA in order to free up a 787?

If you are travelling on the JQ4 (-VKE which came in from KIX via CNS) that appears to be departing 10am Monday morning.

As someone currently in dps, not sure I can agree.
Since last weekend JQ have cancelled over 50% of 787 flights to Bali, it’s taken them a week to operate an A320 today on MEL—DPS (in place of a 787), they need two A320s for every cancelled 787, families have been stuck getting bumped for 5 days due to cancelling rebooked flights last minute.

Surely they knew how long 787 repairs would take, what schedules they need to operate, how many people are booked.

qf002

Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:59 am

QuayWeeAir wrote:
Just got off QF12 LAXSYD this morning and was surprised that their was no moving map via the IFE on the A380... is this a new thing?

Had it on my flight earlier in the year (in J at least).

EK413

Australian Aviation Thread - September 2022

Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:09 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

angusjt wrote:

Since last weekend JQ have cancelled over 50% of 787 flights to Bali, it’s taken them a week to operate an A320 today on MEL—DPS (in place of a 787), they need two A320s for every cancelled 787, families have been stuck getting bumped for 5 days due to cancelling rebooked flights last minute.

Surely they knew how long 787 repairs would take, what schedules they need to operate, how many people are booked.

I feel your pain, I’ve been stranded and I know how stressful it is…

Wife and I were stranded in Bali when Mount Agung erupted back in November 2017… We ended up taking the daring commute by bus to Surabaya… Never again!

EK413

Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:48 am

Good insight to the problems at QF…

https://youtu.be/iQKnazRIEc8

getluv

Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:11 pm

QF's rebuttal regarding tonight's 4Corners investigation: https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/featu ... ers-story/

There was nothing about the 4Corner's investigation that was groundbreaking. It was just a string of criticisms and union spin in a blender that we're all heard before and are seeing across all of QF's legacy competitors.

If safety is really being compromised, it would have been great to see if the journalist had approached CASA if they had any concerns and whether they were investigating.

LTEN11

Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:12 pm

jrfspa320 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

angusjt wrote:

I'm not going to defend QF or JQ, Joyce probably expected most of the staff given the flick during covid to come running back when they started flying again and at reduced wages. The problem has been that people have found better jobs and lifestyles in other industries. Why would you go back to work for a company who blames everyone else, accept their own management and the direction they've chosen to take ? Sure QF/JQ may not be alone being caught out the way they have been , but Joyce has probably pushed harder to than most and is now reaping what he has sown. I'm sure all the past QF staff were just thrilled to hear of the 350 order and the grand standing that went along with it.

The schedules the airlines will know, the number of people booked they will know, what actual aircraft are available is always an unknown till the very end. There are so many things that can happen to stuff up a schedule, but it is how the airline recovers the situation that is important. JQ and the parent QF are failing that at present, especially with DPS.

How long a repair can take on an aircraft can also vary greatly. Of course a complex repair will take significant time, but also what should be a fairly simple repair can be complicated by location, parts availability, maintenance staff availability. If the part isn't available, or you don't have someone qualified to do the work, it's not going to matter what the expected down time should be, it just has to wait.

Gone are the days when there was some flexibility in the way QF operated, everything seems to be run on the bare minimum, great for shareholders, not so good for passengers. Of course the way they are going at present, that bare fleet might be too big if all the people threatening to dump them actually do.

AdvancedBikkie

Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:27 pm

qf2048 wrote:

This is totally pie-in-the-sky, wishful thinking, but honestly, I think this year would be much better for QF if they still had a few 744s (maybe the ERs) being the workhorses they once were. QF desperately needs capacity, the 744s can't've been stored that badly because Kalitta is picking ex-QF 744s up, and there's probably still a full crew of 744 pilots who need a few hours in a sim...

By the way, this doesn't just go for QF, I know we're in the Aussie thread, but Delta for example could probably reactivate their 777s. COVID early retirements and fleet groundings were really pessimistic and, in hindsight, just plain dumb.

zkncj

Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:14 pm

jrfspa320 wrote:
Since last weekend JQ have cancelled over 50% of 787 flights to Bali, it’s taken them a week to operate an A320 today on MEL—DPS (in place of a 787), they need two A320s for every cancelled 787, families have been stuck getting bumped for 5 days due to cancelling rebooked flights last minute. .

They could of at least sent the new a321LR up to DPS and pulled it off the domestic runs.

The airport operating hours back in Australia dont help either, for example BNE does have customs between 1am and 4:30am.
Which effectively means they can’t depart DPS between 5pm to 9:30pm.

EK413

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:42 pm

LTEN11 wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

I'm not going to defend QF or JQ, Joyce probably expected most of the staff given the flick during covid to come running back when they started flying again and at reduced wages. The problem has been that people have found better jobs and lifestyles in other industries. Why would you go back to work for a company who blames everyone else, accept their own management and the direction they've chosen to take ? Sure QF/JQ may not be alone being caught out the way they have been , but Joyce has probably pushed harder to than most and is now reaping what he has sown. I'm sure all the past QF staff were just thrilled to hear of the 350 order and the grand standing that went along with it.

The schedules the airlines will know, the number of people booked they will know, what actual aircraft are available is always an unknown till the very end. There are so many things that can happen to stuff up a schedule, but it is how the airline recovers the situation that is important. JQ and the parent QF are failing that at present, especially with DPS.

How long a repair can take on an aircraft can also vary greatly. Of course a complex repair will take significant time, but also what should be a fairly simple repair can be complicated by location, parts availability, maintenance staff availability. If the part isn't available, or you don't have someone qualified to do the work, it's not going to matter what the expected down time should be, it just has to wait.

Gone are the days when there was some flexibility in the way QF operated, everything seems to be run on the bare minimum, great for shareholders, not so good for passengers. Of course the way they are going at present, that bare fleet might be too big if all the people threatening to dump them actually do.

I’m defending the staff trying to put all pieces back together which Joyce & Co destroyed!

The repairs on VKL certainly couldn’t be planned considering Boeing specialist crew had to come out to SYD & are performing the repair works, however VKJ flaking wing paint work repairs probably could’ve and should’ve been better planned as that took JQ’s B788 fleet down to 9 frames with very little room in the event an aircraft goes AOG.

tullamarine

Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:46 pm

o an extent let’s give the airlines some (little bit) credit as they work through this disaster caused by covid. Most importantly the staff working through this.

The issue is not that things go wrong, the biggest issue is how poor the comms to customers are. There is no excuse having pax sitting around airports for hours with dubious departure times displayed that JQ know will not be met because the inbound plane is either severely delayed or not coming at all. People value honesty and being treated with respect.

This is totally pie-in-the-sky, wishful thinking, but honestly, I think this year would be much better for QF if they still had a few 744s (maybe the ERs) being the workhorses they once were. QF desperately needs capacity, the 744s can't've been stored that badly because Kalitta is picking ex-QF 744s up, and there's probably still a full crew of 744 pilots who need a few hours in a sim...

Even without COVID, the 744s would probably have been retired by now. The savings from removing the fleet type were just too attractive. Keeping a very small fleet is just too expensive.

QF's rebuttal regarding tonight's 4Corners investigation: https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/featu ... ers-story/

There was nothing about the 4Corner's investigation that was groundbreaking. It was just a string of criticisms and union spin in a blender that we're all heard before and are seeing across all of QF's legacy competitors.

That is not rebuttal; that is spin. They seem to be admitting that what was said is true but then try to justify it that other airlines have the same issues which is only partly true and, even then, these other airlines are restricting their schedules until they can cover greater capacity. In comparison, QF are selling every seat they can with little regard whether they can actually provide the service and the results of this can be seen writ large at DPS right now. Making matters worse, QF's service when there is a cancellation or requirement for a refund is appalling. This is a not a criticism of the customer-facing staff; it is an indictment of management who have failed on so many fronts.

grh

Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:30 am

There were several docos in the UK about a month ago similar to the 4 Corners.
How slow airlines were recovering, baggage problems, later & cancelled flights.... its a worldwide phenomenon

Obzerva

Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:37 am

zkncj wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
Since last weekend JQ have cancelled over 50% of 787 flights to Bali, it’s taken them a week to operate an A320 today on MEL—DPS (in place of a 787), they need two A320s for every cancelled 787, families have been stuck getting bumped for 5 days due to cancelling rebooked flights last minute. .

They could of at least sent the new a321LR up to DPS and pulled it off the domestic runs.

The airport operating hours back in Australia dont help either, for example BNE does have customs between 1am and 4:30am.
Which effectively means they can’t depart DPS between 5pm to 9:30pm.

Looks like the new A321 is doing a couple of DPS runs, I can see it’s scheduled for tomorrow’s JQ36

ZK-NBT

Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:51 am

AdvancedBikkie wrote:
qf2048 wrote:

By the way, this doesn't just go for QF, I know we're in the Aussie thread, but Delta for example could probably reactivate their 777s. COVID early retirements and fleet groundings were really pessimistic and, in hindsight, just plain dumb.

The 744s were scheduled to be retired by the end of 2020 anyway, yes they could have flown longer but removing a fleet type reduces costs significantly. Kalitta picked up 1 for parts, after 2.5 years the crew would need a little more than a few hrs in a sim, that would be a full retraining which would take a few months.

Why would DL reactive the 777 fleet? They had 18 which for DL’s size is not that many and that was split between 8 77E’s that were around 20 years old with RR engines, and 10 77Ls that were 10-12 years old with GE engines.

At the end of the day airlines all over the world retired aircraft, some types got brought back but there isn’t enough crew to fly the aircraft they do have in some cases.

qf789

Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:25 am

It looks like at least 2 of the in service Qantas A380’s will need to be grounded for around 50 days each so an inspection can take place for potential wing cracks

https://michaelwest.com.au/wing-crack-f ... lan-joyce/

NZ516

Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 am

qf789 wrote:
It looks like at least 2 of the in service Qantas A380’s will need to be grounded for around 50 days each so an inspection can take place for potential wing cracks

https://michaelwest.com.au/wing-crack-f ... lan-joyce/

Strewth that is the last thing Qantas needs right now!!

FL420FT

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:44 am

VH-OQA "Nancy" appears to be scheduled to fly out from VCV on 22 September

anstar

Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:43 am

zkncj wrote:

They are - I believe the first flight is tomorrow with another the day after.

Some of the JQ 787 issues are unavoidable ie bird strike & windscreen crack and debris on the runway in SGN damaging the A/C.

anstar

Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:50 am

As fro the JQ788s if they don't go to QF where will they go? I dont think they have the legs for LAS/SEA. could we see a JQ invasion into BOM/DEL etc?

flyingisthebest

Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:57 am

tullamarine wrote:
o an extent let’s give the airlines some (little bit) credit as they work through this disaster caused by covid. Most importantly the staff working through this.

The issue is not that things go wrong, the biggest issue is how poor the comms to customers are. There is no excuse having pax sitting around airports for hours with dubious departure times displayed that JQ know will not be met because the inbound plane is either severely delayed or not coming at all. People value honesty and being treated with respect.

Even without COVID, the 744s would probably have been retired by now. The savings from removing the fleet type were just too attractive. Keeping a very small fleet is just too expensive.

That is not rebuttal; that is spin. They seem to be admitting that what was said is true but then try to justify it that other airlines have the same issues which is only partly true and, even then, these other airlines are restricting their schedules until they can cover greater capacity. In comparison, QF are selling every seat they can with little regard whether they can actually provide the service and the results of this can be seen writ large at DPS right now. Making matters worse, QF's service when there is a cancellation or requirement for a refund is appalling. This is a not a criticism of the customer-facing staff; it is an indictment of management who have failed on so many fronts.

Agree problem with Qantas/Jetstar’s handling of cancellation is really bad. Alan Joyce and the C suite need to experience what a Qantas /Jetstar customers experience when things go wrong. It should not get to the point where both Qantas and Jetstar blame each other when it comes to rebooking from the cancellation.

I had that experience where I had a FF redemption. With first leg was Jetstar and second Qantas.
Jetstar was the one who canceled the flight. I contacted the web chat and they said since I booked my ticket through Qantas they can’t rebook me despite it was Jetstar cancelling the flight. They suggested I contact Qantas. Contact Qantas and they said it’s Jetstar who screwed up the booking it’s on them to fix it.

Here’s me as a Qantas customer going to myself Jetstar and Qantas are owned by the same company. How can you not work with each other?
No doubt this is the same thing going on in many peoples minds right now flying either airline.

ClassicLover

Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:37 am

flyingisthebest wrote:
Here’s me as a Qantas customer going to myself Jetstar and Qantas are owned by the same company. How can you not work with each other?
No doubt this is the same thing going on in many peoples minds right now flying either airline.

This is no different to dealing with the IAG airlines, Aer Lingus, British Airways, Ibera. Same company, but the three airlines operate totally separately and the exact same issues crop up for passengers. It is not unique to Qantas and Jetstar.

eamondzhang

Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:52 am

It used to alright with rebooking from JQ to QF - I got flights cancelled by Jetstar and a call sent me straight to the next available Qantas flight on the same route. Granted it's pre-COVID and it was MEL-SYD. And I thought it was marvellous cancellation handling!

Michael

qf789

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:51 am

Emirates brings forward of A380 resumption to PER to 1 Nov 22

https://simpleflying.com/emirates-germa ... dule-cuts/

qf2220

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:13 am

ClassicLover wrote:
flyingisthebest wrote:

This is no different to dealing with the IAG airlines, Aer Lingus, British Airways, Ibera. Same company, but the three airlines operate totally separately and the exact same issues crop up for passengers. It is not unique to Qantas and Jetstar.

But is is very different. QF established and owns JQ and set it up as part of its overall corporate strategy. BA, IB and EI are all separate airlines with no cross ownership that had very little to do with each other until they were owned by IAG. If a QF ticket includes a JQ segment, then QF should deal with it if it cancels like it would if it was an AA, BA or other airline. QF loyalty bookings of any signigicant complexity are always a huge risk if there is a change.

tullamarine

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:20 am

ClassicLover wrote:
flyingisthebest wrote:

If QF thinks poor service by JQ doesn't poison its own brand, it's kidding itself.

F100Flyer

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:36 am

Looks like SQ has quietly dropped its SQ224 PER-SIN service from 7x weekly to 3x weekly. Maybe 78X aircraft is required elsewhere?

Obzerva

Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:53 am

Looks like QF are looking for a media distraction with the below
Proposing MIA and ORD as Project Sunrise flights in the future

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... cago-miami

tullamarine

Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:01 am

Obzerva wrote:

I thought the same.

Sydscott

Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:05 am

I have a question that maybe someone in here can help me with, I'm flying from Sydney through to Tel Aviv. Part of the trip is on Qantas and part is on Turkish Airlines. I'm not taking hold baggage so I don't have to worry about it being mis-placed but does anyone know if QF will be able to check me all the way through or will I have to go through immigration in Singapore and re-checkin with Turkish Airlines? I'm travelling on the same itinerary, that is to say I can see the whole trip in the QF app, but it has two different booking references in.

tullamarine

Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:53 am

Sydscott wrote:
I have a question that maybe someone in here can help me with, I'm flying from Sydney through to Tel Aviv. Part of the trip is on Qantas and part is on Turkish Airlines. I'm not taking hold baggage so I don't have to worry about it being mis-placed but does anyone know if QF will be able to check me all the way through or will I have to go through immigration in Singapore and re-checkin with Turkish Airlines? I'm travelling on the same itinerary, that is to say I can see the whole trip in the QF app, but it has two different booking references in.

It is unlikely that QF will issue your TK boarding pass but You won’t have to go through immigration in SIN. You can go to the service desk which is airside at the top of Concourse C in T1 and they will issue you your boarding pass. They will want to check if you have checked luggage that has been checked through so they can record details but that won’t be an issue in your case.

qf789

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:30 pm

Tonight’s QF487 SYD-MEL was deemed unscreened on arrival to MEL, all passengers escorted by AFP to security for screening, 1 passenger apparently wasn’t screened at SYD

https://twitter.com/patrickdurkin/statu ... mC7Et7F3vQ

LTEN11

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:39 pm

qf789 wrote:
Tonight’s QF487 SYD-MEL was deemed unscreened on arrival to MEL, all passengers escorted by AFP to security for screening, 1 passenger apparently wasn’t screened at SYD

Ha ! Bit later after it's already landed at it's destination.

IndianicWorld

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:02 pm

tullamarine wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

I thought the same.

Very much so. Seems part of their usual PR plan.

They have talked about so many destinations over the past couple of years, let’s just add a couple more to the mix to keep up the enthusiasm and forget about the daily operational issues.

As much as it would be interesting, MIA makes very little sense really in my view for QF, but ORD would likely be a good add. The track record though of announcing flights to ORD and events occurring that put those plans on hold certainly hasn’t been ideal though, so hopefully this time around it will actually start.

waoz1

Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:56 pm

Apparently a charter flight returned to Broome after one of three prisoners on a transfer attempted to rush the pilot.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 5bg9v.html

ClassicLover

Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:44 pm

qf2220 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
flyingisthebest wrote:

But is is very different. QF established and owns JQ and set it up as part of its overall corporate strategy. BA, IB and EI are all separate airlines with no cross ownership that had very little to do with each other until they were owned by IAG. If a QF ticket includes a JQ segment, then QF should deal with it if it cancels like it would if it was an AA, BA or other airline. QF loyalty bookings of any signigicant complexity are always a huge risk if there is a change.

Sure, but the point here is that regardless of who established the airline, they operate as completely separate airlines and businesses, exactly as BA. IB and EI do. The history of it does not matter, Qantas and Jetstar are separate airlines.

It does depend on how the tickets are booked. If the Jetstar flight is on the Qantas ticket with a QF codeshare flight number, Qantas are responsible. If it is on there as a JQ flight number, then Jetstar is responsible. That's how it usually works, so it all depends on the situation.

eta unknown

Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:07 pm

QF & JQ operate a lot like EK & the DXB Govt... Nobody is really sure where the line of separation is. For example, we know JQ's maintenance bills are paid from QF, so that's not really a completely separate entity.

RyanairGuru

Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:49 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
If the Jetstar flight is on the Qantas ticket with a QF codeshare flight number, Qantas are responsible. If it is on there as a JQ flight number, then Jetstar is responsible. That's how it usually works, so it all depends on the situation.

It’s actually not that simple.

The short answer is Qantas are responsible, regardless of whether it’s a JQ code or not.

Qantas have a policy which you can freely find on the internet on how to rebook if there is a schedule change. Unfortunately most of their staff appear to have never read it.

The Hobart call centre staff are generally really good, but post-Covid they only serve Platinum Frequent Flyers (and above, the Canberra call centre which was dedicated to Platinum One was closed in 2020). Anyone else, including Gold, have a >99% chance of speaking to one of the offshore call centres. These staff seem to have had zero training. God help you if you speak to Cape Town. It’s one thing to admit you don’t know and put you on hold to ask a supervisor, but these staff are either trained in the wrong information, or just lie and make it up as they go along.

As a QF issued (081) ticket, Qantas are responsible for rebooking you per there own policy. The options are clearly laid out: (1) rebook on a different flight operated by the existing airline, (2) doesn’t apply to domestic, (3) rebook on a Qantas operated fight, (4) re-route on Qantas via an alternative connecting city.

As it is, the OP said it was an FF reward booking. That complicates things somewhat, and means the regular policy doesn’t apply per se, but means it is even more Qantas’ responsibility to rebook. Only Qantas can reissue that in the event that no X class availability remains and it needs to be reissued into a revenue fair bucket.

After my rant about Qantas’ offshore call centres, I have to acknowledge that Jetstar’s Manila call centre is excellent. The staff are well trained and know what they’re talking about. Such is the state of Qantas in 2022, if you have someone at Qantas telling you it is Jetstar’s fault, and someone at Jetstar telling you it is Qantas’ fault, I would trust the Jetstar staff.

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect/au ... licy-.html

RyanairGuru

Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:49 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
If the Jetstar flight is on the Qantas ticket with a QF codeshare flight number, Qantas are responsible. If it is on there as a JQ flight number, then Jetstar is responsible. That's how it usually works, so it all depends on the situation.

It’s actually not that simple.

The short answer is Qantas are responsible, regardless of whether it’s a JQ code or not.

Qantas have a policy which you can freely find on the internet on how to rebook if there is a schedule change. Unfortunately most of their staff appear to have never read it.

The Hobart call centre staff are generally really good, but post-Covid they only serve Platinum Frequent Flyers (and above, the Canberra call centre which was dedicated to Platinum One was closed in 2020). Anyone else, including Gold, have a >99% chance of speaking to one of the offshore call centres. These staff seem to have had zero training. God help you if you speak to Capeu Town. It’s one thing to admit you don’t know and put you on hold to ask a supervisor, but these staff are either trained in the wrong information, or just lie and make it up as they go along.

As a QF issued (081) ticket, Qantas are responsible for rebooking you per there own policy. The options are clearly laid out: (1) rebook on a different flight operated by the existing airline, (2) doesn’t apply to domestic, (3) rebook on a Qantas operated fight, (4) re-route on Qantas via an alternative connecting city.

As it is, the OP said it was an FF reward booking. That complicates things somewhat, and means the regular policy doesn’t apply per se, but means it is even more Qantas’ responsibility to rebook. Only Qantas can reissue that in the event that no X class availability remains and it needs to be reissued into a revenue fair bucket.

After my rant about Qantas’ offshore call centres, I have to acknowledge that Jetstar’s Manila call centre is excellent. The staff are well trained and know what they’re talking about. Such is the state of Qantas in 2022, if you have someone at Qantas telling you it is Jetstar’s fault, and someone at Jetstar telling you it is Qantas’ fault, I would trust the Jetstar staff.

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect/au ... licy-.html

Sydscott

Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:14 pm

tullamarine wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

It is unlikely that QF will issue your TK boarding pass but You won’t have to go through immigration in SIN. You can go to the service desk which is airside at the top of Concourse C in T1 and they will issue you your boarding pass. They will want to check if you have checked luggage that has been checked through so they can record details but that won’t be an issue in your case.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

myki

Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:12 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
As much as it would be interesting, MIA makes very little sense really in my view for QF

Agree. There's probably not much of the Caribbean that you can't get to via DFW, and the further south you go you may as well be going via SCL and connecting there to head north - quicker journey, and avoids the US ;)

OffTheRails

Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:16 pm

anstar wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Some of the JQ 787 issues are unavoidable ie bird strike & windscreen crack and debris on the runway in SGN damaging the A/C.

Do the JQ A321LR’s have IFE?
Wonder if they plan on putting IFE into there XLR’s

qf2220

Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:40 pm

qf789 wrote:

How does a passenger not get screened? And how is this detected?

a320fan

Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:45 pm

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Not sure how it would be possible, but someone stuffed up somewhere. What I don’t get is the point of screening all the passengers after arrival. Would think the most obvious solution would be for the aircraft to receive a through security sweep before it’s next departure.

Obzerva

Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:49 pm

a320fan wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Not sure how it would be possible, but someone stuffed up somewhere. What I don’t get is the point of screening all the passengers after arrival. Would think the most obvious solution would be for the aircraft to receive a through security sweep before it’s next departure.

Screening upon arrival would be no different to arriving at a larger airport from a smaller regional location which doesn't have screening requirements.

eg a ZL Saab may be screened upon arrival in SYD rather than at the departure airport.
Whilst not ideal, it does "lessen" any particular incident by virtue on being on a smaller aircraft, and screening on arrival prevents anything that may occur on a large connecting flight or in a larger airport.

evanb

Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:39 am

LTEN11 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Certainly for that flight, but the passengers deplane at MEL into a sterile area and mix with other departing passengers as well as potentially connect onto other flights. The rescreening is done not to protect the incoming flight but rather to protect the "integrity" of the sterile area and other outgoing flights. While it may seem pedantic, it is rather necessary.

evanb

Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:46 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Sure, but the point here is that regardless of who established the airline, they operate as completely separate airlines and businesses, exactly as BA. IB and EI do. The history of it does not matter, Qantas and Jetstar are separate airlines.

It does depend on how the tickets are booked. If the Jetstar flight is on the Qantas ticket with a QF codeshare flight number, Qantas are responsible. If it is on there as a JQ flight number, then Jetstar is responsible. That's how it usually works, so it all depends on the situation.

While they are operationally seperate and have different brands, they are highlight coordinated in terms of network, scheduling and even revenue management. Furthermore, they both market the relationship as offering seamless integration in terms of ticketing, including going as far as selling capacity through each other's platforms. For example, when you search MEL-SYD on QF it will offering you JQ flights as standalone flights (not even codeshares). This is far more integrated than IAG - as you rightly point out.

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:44 am

evanb wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Certainly for that flight, but the passengers deplane at MEL into a sterile area and mix with other departing passengers as well as potentially connect onto other flights. The rescreening is done not to protect the incoming flight but rather to protect the "integrity" of the sterile area and other outgoing flights. While it may seem pedantic, it is rather necessary.

Flights from a regional port unload onto a bus and then into the non-sterile area. Only passengers with connecting flights then go through standard security screening. Organising busing for an A330 would probably take a bit longer, but that still seems more efficient than escorting them through the sterile zone and then re-screening the entire aircraft.

zkncj

Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:55 am

OffTheRails wrote:
anstar wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Do the JQ A321LR’s have IFE?
Wonder if they plan on putting IFE into there XLR’s

Just streaming IFE, via own devices. The LR’s do have device holders on the back of the seats along with a USB charging port.