Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ahj2000
Topic Author

Rwandair plans to join Oneworld

Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:25 pm

With Al Baker of QR, they announced plans to join (with no certainty as to full or connect membership) the alliance in the future. Both airlines speak of the potential to improve and further grow Rwandair and the importance of the new airport.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/rwandair-oneworld/

I’m always excited to see alliance expansion, although I know many on here feel alliances have gone the way to the dodo.

PM

Re: Rwandair plans to join Oneworld

Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:16 pm

I didn't read this carefully and thought it said Ryanair!

jbs2886

Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:17 pm

PM wrote:
I didn't read this carefully and thought it said Ryanair!

Same lol

smi0006

Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:39 pm

Interesting news indeed - oneworld could do with a Central African airline - although, India, China and South America are also hopes these days. I do note one of the comments on the article-

Rwanda squanders around 5% of its annual national budget (equivalent to between 10-15% of foreign aid to Rwanda) on subsidies for their loss making airline while Qatar has infinitely more cash to spare.

Is this true? If so joining an alliance is expensive and should bottom of their to do list

ghdc10

Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:23 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Interesting news indeed - oneworld could do with a Central African airline - although, India, China and South America are also hopes these days. I do note one of the comments on the article-

Rwanda squanders around 5% of its annual national budget (equivalent to between 10-15% of foreign aid to Rwanda) on subsidies for their loss making airline while Qatar has infinitely more cash to spare.

Is this true? If so joining an alliance is expensive and should bottom of their to do list

Rwanda's goal is to get off aid dollars. Since you have a point of view on what aid money should not be spent on, how do you think they should get off aid?
A national airline can be a vanity project but if it works, it can be a goldmine for forex and the economic impact at large.

I appreciate their out of the box thinking, but only time will tell whether the investment, aid dollars or not, was worth it.

trexel94

Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:46 pm

Rwanda is a small landlocked country with no railways and poor connectivity to neighboring countries that have port access. Rwandair is still the most efficient method of getting people and goods in/out of the country. It’s a necessary evil and will take many more years for dividends to transpire.

eastafspot

Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:22 pm

Sorry for nitpicking, but it should be RwandAir.
Not Rwandair.
And it is discussed here already on the East African Aviation thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1468583&start=100

Rajahdhani

Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:57 pm

For a bit of an addition to the topic, please consider (and h/t to Wendover Productions here) this YouTube offer that discusses Rwanda, Rwandair's proposed strategy, and the potential "Singapor-ization" of Rwanda, and thus, the need/business case of/for Rwandair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0ozxrZlEQ

I do see how, expanding the codeshare with Qatar has brought yet another carrier into OneWorld (h/t to Simple Flying):

...and also, h/t to Akbar Al Baker, who since taking on the Chairman of the Governing Board has seen quite an expansion to OneWorld's Portfoio of Airlines:

https://www.gulf-times.com/story/691959/Al-Baker-appointed-Chairman-of-oneworld-s-Governing-Boardl-Baker said, “As we emerge from some of the most challenging times ever facing the global airline industry, I am honoured to be chosen by my fellow board members to lead the Governing Board for oneworld, an alliance that has continued to expand since Covid-19 emerged, with the addition of two new members in Alaska Airlines and Royal Air Maroc.

So, Congratulations to Rawandair, and here's to not only healthy and profitable growth in future, but also growing ties to the international community and more international partners. Apart from QR, I do wonder who the largest winners of bringing WB onboard to OneWorld? Also, I assume that we will see lounges/improvements and total integration when (if?) the airline settles at the new Bugesera International? Here's to a bright future, broad horizons and clear skies ahead for WB!

DocLightning

Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:33 am

ghdc10 wrote:
Rwanda's goal is to get off aid dollars. Since you have a point of view on what aid money should not be spent on, how do you think they should get off aid?
A national airline can be a vanity project but if it works, it can be a goldmine for forex and the economic impact at large.

I appreciate their out of the box thinking, but only time will tell whether the investment, aid dollars or not, was worth it.

Rwanda's current project is to become a bit like an African Singapore, Switzerland, or Dubai. They are small, landlocked, and have limited natural resources. But what they can do is generate a financial hub in which there is good ease of doing business. Part of that is having a strong airline that allows for business travel to efficiently travel to and from the country.

Sub-Saharan Africa is one of the most underdeveloped places in the world with a low standard of living. This has global impacts. On an environmental level, they are still undergoing massive population growth. On a public health level, Sub-Saharan Africa is the origin of Monkeypox, HIV, and also the Omicron variant. There are horrible human rights abuses. A developed Rwanda will have socioeconomic impacts that will spill over into neighboring countries and raise the standard of living across the continent. RwandAir will be part of that process.

BangersAndMash

Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:58 am

Rajahdhani wrote:
Apart from QR, I do wonder who the largest winners of bringing WB onboard to OneWorld?

BA, without a doubt. Apart from South Africa and Nigeria, which are strategic markets, BA now only serves Accra and Nairobi in sub-Saharan Africa. Rwandair would add coverage to many more places, especially in East and Southern Africa, some BA used to serve. And do that a lot more cost effectively.

And there's definitely money to be made. Willy Walsh always said the reason why BA pulled out wasn't that Africa wasn't profitable, yields were simply higher elsewhere and Heathrow is extremely constrained so hard choices have to be made.

For Rwandair, Oneworld would also help de-tag London from Brussels, as well as potentially land Heathrow slots, which would improve the viability of their operation there.

I'd say Royal Air Maroc and member-elect Oman Air would benefit as well, simply by increasing their relevance in the markets they already serve.

LX138

Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:57 pm

Not sure they bring a great deal if honest. They only operate around a dozen planes. There is certainly nothing to add to a BA prospective network, as its a more tricky task to get to Kigali in the first place!

BangersAndMash

Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:26 pm

LX138 wrote:
Not sure they bring a great deal if honest. They only operate around a dozen planes. There is certainly nothing to add to a BA prospective network, as its a more tricky task to get to Kigali in the first place!

Use your imagination. They're ambitious and are building a large new airport. It's not to fly a dozen planes to close in airports.

ahj2000
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:39 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
LX138 wrote:

Use your imagination. They're ambitious and are building a large new airport. It's not to fly a dozen planes to close in airports.

Exactly. No one is expecting them to grow into a carrier the size of Emirates, but a carrier double the size shouldn’t be be THAT difficult for them to do. They do have plans for a good bit more regional as well as more to the Gulf/EU/Subcontinent as well as plans for a flight to JFK via ACC that they’ve talked about for a while. And remember—KQ is less than 40 airframes IIRC, so there is space in the African market for “smaller” carriers.

eastafspot

Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:07 am

Between Paris and New York, which destination will come first to their network?

Byrdluvs747

Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:18 am

I'm happy for the addition but I really wish QR had made an effort to get Kenya Airways out of ST.

rutankrd

Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:19 am

eastafspot wrote:

Neither a route on to China beyond the Gulf

:airplane: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :arrow: :thumbsup:

Gotta spend the 200 million the British government has given them and the down payments offered by Copenhagen for nothing in return !

BangersAndMash

Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:37 am

Byrdluvs747 wrote:
I'm happy for the addition but I really wish QR had made an effort to get Kenya Airways out of ST.

KQ's a mess. It's been for some time. Can't seem to be able find its mojo, or a business model that works. It's perfect for ST. Debauching ET from Star, now that would have been a coup!

Oneworld is the right environment for Rwandair to become the airline it wants to be. And the 2 are are a good fit strategically for each other. I'd argue better so than Oman Air. That's more important than just size in my book.

SCQ83

Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:16 pm

eastafspot wrote:

I wonder if either RwandAir or Royal Air Maroc would launch CMN-KGL, considering that Qatar has also some kind of partnership with RAM. Would that be feasible with a B737? I guess pushing the limits.

Royal Air Maroc has a big network in Southern Europe, and RwandAir doesn't fly there. So it could be a first way to feed passengers from Southern Europe to Kigali.

asuflyer

Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:34 pm

Rwandair was rumored to start KGL-ACC-JFK with the A330NEO but it never materialized.

Rajahdhani

Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:06 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

I wonder if either RwandAir or Royal Air Maroc would launch CMN-KGL, considering that Qatar has also some kind of partnership with RAM. Would that be feasible with a B737? I guess pushing the limits.

asuflyer wrote:
Rwandair was rumored to start KGL-ACC-JFK with the A330NEO but it never materialized.
asuflyer wrote:
Royal Air Maroc has a big network in Southern Europe, and RwandAir doesn't fly there. So it could be a first way to feed passengers from Southern Europe to Kigali.

What's interesting here, is that it's not that much of a stretch...

KGL to CMN standsa at 3,457 miles, and while WB has 737-800s (stated range of 3582 miles), they also have 737-700s (stated range of 3958 miles) that could operate the route. Of note, that the 737-700 is almost perfect for a route like this, with a bit longer/thin and some space to grow. Capping seats on the 737-800 might offer a temporary increase on the route if performance is restrictive. In the current generation of aircraft, the 737-MAX 8, A321NEO and/or A220 would provide range and/or frequencies to make this work in an increased capacity. WB's rather small fleet - it might well benefit RAM to add KGL, as they have more 737-800s as well as 737 MAX-8s.

asuflyer wrote:

Tying two threads together, linking KGL-CMN (and codeshare with RAM for CMN-JFK) might well help Rwandair to partner for that route and save the A330NEO for a better use of the aircraft (and/or buying some time before launching KGL-ACC-JFK in future, if they yields permit). As is, KGL-CMN-JFK is closer to the straight-line distance, however the ACC stopover may well provide a greater passenger base to pull from. Maybe less than weekly via ACC, and daily (via CMN, and partnership)?

eastafspot

Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:45 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

For sure, RAM has served NBO via EBB (for a short term though) in recent years.

It would be nice if they soon resume NBO and swap EBB for KGL as Oneworld partner.

oceanvikram

Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:50 am

Is it me or QR are treating oneworld as their own equity alliance?

dfdubflyer

Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:00 pm

Rwanda it would be great. If you’ve ever tried to book a oneworld itinerary in East Africa this is easy to see. Not every member needs to be AA/BA sized

rutankrd

Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:31 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
Rwanda it would be great. If you’ve ever tried to book a oneworld itinerary in East Africa this is easy to see. Not every member needs to be AA/BA sized

The problem is and go and see the success ( lack of) of smaller carriers within all the alliances. Evidence isn’t so rosey

Malev closed , Adria closed, Regional Kenya closed , TAT and DBA closed, BMi closed

Suffice to say problem is flying others clientele at Penny in the pound doesn’t tend to pay the bills

rukundo

Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:11 am

Message to delete sorry

rukundo

Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:23 am

Don'r forget that Oneworld presence in Southern and Central Africa is very weak. Qatar Airways dosen't serve Central Afrca. Only Royal Air Maroc serves Central Africa. In Southern Africa, Oneworld has also a weak presence with only Qatar Airways and British Airways (3 destinations in the region!!). If you compare with SkyTeam (Air France, KLM & Kenya Airways) and Star Alliance (Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, Ethiopian, Turkish Airlines, Egytair) Oneworld is lagging.

eastafspot wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

For sure, RAM has served NBO via EBB (for a short term though) in recent years.

It would be nice if they soon resume NBO and swap EBB for KGL as Oneworld partner.

RAM has only served NBO in code share with KQ. At the end of the route, flights were operated with a B737-800 via Ndjamena instead of a non stop route btw NBO and CMN operated by a B767. EBB was only use for Morrocan army deployed in DR Congo for UN. They now use Goma which has long runway to handle B787.

About KGL, in 2008 RAM planned to serve Kigali for Winter 2009, alongside Luanda, Banjul and Bangui (https://www.aeronautique.ma/Royal-Air-M ... _a995.html) then they have several times announced to serve Kigali. Last time it was in 2016. Planned for March 2016 : https://www.newtimes.co.rw/article/1267 ... casablanca.

When QR served Kigali, Royal Air Maroc has added its AT code on the Doha Kigali route. Kigali is still on Royal Air Maroc booking engine. Same case on Cathay Pacific, American, Oman Air, Finnair, Malaysia Airlines. You can find Kigali. In 2018, Oman Air announced that they wanted to seve Kigali, long time before their arrival in Oneworld. Oman Air has a interline agreements with RwandAir since many years : https://www.omanobserver.om/article/546 ... cat-as-hub

I saw on Facebook some people making some nice routing:

Dallas-JFK-Doha-Kigali-Doha-Dallas (American Airlines + RwandAir + Qatar Airways)

Goma-Kigali-Doha-Melbourne (RwandAir + Qatar Airways)

Washington -Doha-Kigali (Qatar Airways + RwandAir)

Montréal-Doha-Kigali (Qatar Airways + RwandAir)

Note that RwandAir plans to resume Mombasa and add Luanda, Addis Ababa (planned to open in 2018, but bookings closed few weeks before the 1st flight), Maputo and Zanzibar.

Qatar Airways has its QR code from KGL to several RwandAir destinations including Nairobi, Entebbe or Lagos. Note also RwandAir has similair code share agreement with Turkish Airlines.

WB code from IST to CDG / BRU / AMS / FRA / DUS / GVA / ZRH.
TK code from KGL to Bangui, Douala, Bujumbura, Harare and Lusaka

Here is the RwandAir network including code share with Qatar Airways. Larnaca, Colombo, Ryhad, Edimburg, Manchester, London, Mascate, Salah and Damman were added https://www.doha-airport.com/departures ... ndair?tp=6.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some interesting facts about KGL Airport

For July 2022 AFRRA says Kigali airport exceeded its July 2019 traffic (106% of 2019 traffic). In July 2019, Kigali had reached 106,423 pax https://servimg.com/view/11287103/2307

Quite surprised when you know that capacities this summer much lower than in 2019: Juba, Abidjan, Mombasa, Guangzhou, Tel Aviv, Kinshasa (flights suspended) are no longer served

Only Nairobi, Entebbe, Nairobi, Bujumbura, Kamembe, Douala, Johannesburg and Dubai are served daily by RwandAir. For the rest we remain on weekly flights: Abuja, Accra, Cotonou, Lagos, Harare, Lusaka and Dar Es Salaam were served every day before the covid. Only Cape Town, Mumbai, Brazzaville, Libreville, Brussels and London were served weekly before the covid, but with higher frequencies

Excluding RwandAir, KLM serves Kigali 6 times a week instead of daily, Brussels Airlines 5 times a week instead of 6. Turkish Airlines offers daily with a mix of B737 and A330. Kenya Airways 1 to 2 flights per day compared to 3 to 4 with JamboJet. Ethiopian always 2 flights a day. Qatar it was daily in B787 and A330 replaced by RwandAir in B737-800, 3 times a week. Egyptair 2 times a week

For summit host nation Rwanda, air passenger traffic in July this year was 106% of its level in July 2019. https://www.engineeringnews.co.za/artic ... ack-to-pre -covid-levels-except-in-southern-africa-2022-09-15

Bugesera Airport 2022 video. It's nice and big, but i hope they will able to fill it. We hope that RwandAir does not close the door otherwise it will be a disaster. Can we trust the Qataris? Then bring more airlines to Kigali.. Rwanda wishing to become a commercial, medical, financial and tourist hub in the region between East and Central Africa, the ambitions are there. Some results are there (vision 2020, UN millennium goals), but there is still work to be done. Rwanda is still a poor country with all the problems we know.

The 2020s will be an important decade, as Rwanda hopes to become a middle-income country by 2030-2035. And whether the president, both loved and hated, will remain in power. He's been since 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKXXygyWt7Q&t=41s

[url=https://servimg.com/view/11287103/2490]Image[ /url]

ghdc10

Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:42 pm

DocLightning wrote:
ghdc10 wrote:

Rwanda's current project is to become a bit like an African Singapore, Switzerland, or Dubai. They are small, landlocked, and have limited natural resources. But what they can do is generate a financial hub in which there is good ease of doing business. Part of that is having a strong airline that allows for business travel to efficiently travel to and from the country.

Sub-Saharan Africa is one of the most underdeveloped places in the world with a low standard of living. This has global impacts. On an environmental level, they are still undergoing massive population growth. On a public health level, Sub-Saharan Africa is the origin of Monkeypox, HIV, and also the Omicron variant. There are horrible human rights abuses. A developed Rwanda will have socioeconomic impacts that will spill over into neighboring countries and raise the standard of living across the continent. RwandAir will be part of that process.

Well said. I wish more African countries would take the path of Rwanda. I feel the smallest populations have an opportunity to replicate the success of Singapore. Take Sao Tome with 300k inhabitants or Guinea Bissau. However, often times, those societies are focused on the traditional economic growth model which would never deliver adequate growth to change the game for future generations.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos