Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:14 am

Thread for airline, fleet and network news from deep South America: Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aerolineas Argentinas will increase frequency on a few international routes for the peak southern summer 2022/23 season:

* Cancun goes from 3 to 4x w eff. 23DEC
* Madrid goes from 7 to 9x w eff 18DEC
* Miami goes from 9 to 13x w eff 19DEC
* Montevideo goes from 19 to 24x w eff 30OCT
* Rome goes from 3 to 4x w eff 23DEC

EZE - CUN/FCO/MAD/MIA operated with A332
AEP - MVD operated with 738 & E190
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:20 am

Avianca Colombia will increase frequency on two routes:

* BOG - Asunción/Montevideo go from 4 to 5x w, eff 1DEC, frequency increase good thru March 2023, A319 equipment on both routes. AV is the only airline connecting Paraguay and Uruguay with Colombia.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:28 am

Low cost jetSmart Chile temporarily suspends 2 routes to Colombia, due to low demand during Sept/Oct/Nov.

* SCL - BOG (returns 29NOV 6x w)
* SCL - MDE (returns 13DEC 3x w)
 
PB26
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:09 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:10 am

Good to see a Deep South America Thread!
 
descl
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:39 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:25 pm

dcajet wrote:
Low cost jetSmart Chile temporarily suspends 2 routes to Colombia, due to low demand during Sept/Oct/Nov.

* SCL - BOG (returns 29NOV 6x w)
* SCL - MDE (returns 13DEC 3x w)

This doesnt have to do with low demand. The reason is fleet shortage given Airbus delays in aircraft deliveries. This is why they are suspending their longest routes in both international and domestic markets such as MDE, BOG, PUQ, which are also the ones that require more fuel. In a context of high fuel prices, the routes suspended look reasonable.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:36 pm

descl wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Low cost jetSmart Chile temporarily suspends 2 routes to Colombia, due to low demand during Sept/Oct/Nov.

* SCL - BOG (returns 29NOV 6x w)
* SCL - MDE (returns 13DEC 3x w)

This doesnt have to do with low demand. The reason is fleet shortage given Airbus delays in aircraft deliveries. This is why they are suspending their longest routes in both international and domestic markets such as MDE, BOG, PUQ, which are also the ones that require more fuel. In a context of high fuel prices, the routes suspended look reasonable.


Well, they kept Cali operating both from SCL and ANF, so that tells you that not all Colombia routes are equal. In a context of less availability of flying assets, you keep the routes that perform better.

“These were temporary adjustments: our new itinerary is now available and considers the operation of Santiago-Bogotá and Santiago-Medellín from the high season in the month of December 2022, in time for the dates that are of greatest interest to our passengers."


That reads "we will return when demand is back" to me.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/09/je ... -y-bogota/
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:54 pm

Brazil's Gol announced seasonal flights between COR and FLN, 3x w with 186-seat 738/MAX 8, to be operated between 1JAN and 28FEB23.

G39450 FLN 23:50 COR 02:20+1 135 737
G39451 COR 03:10 FLN 05:30 246 737
 
descl
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:39 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:03 pm

dcajet wrote:
descl wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Low cost jetSmart Chile temporarily suspends 2 routes to Colombia, due to low demand during Sept/Oct/Nov.

* SCL - BOG (returns 29NOV 6x w)
* SCL - MDE (returns 13DEC 3x w)

This doesnt have to do with low demand. The reason is fleet shortage given Airbus delays in aircraft deliveries. This is why they are suspending their longest routes in both international and domestic markets such as MDE, BOG, PUQ, which are also the ones that require more fuel. In a context of high fuel prices, the routes suspended look reasonable.


Well, they kept Cali operating both from SCL and ANF, so that tells you that not all Colombia routes are equal. In a context of less availability of flying assets, you keep the routes that perform better.

“These were temporary adjustments: our new itinerary is now available and considers the operation of Santiago-Bogotá and Santiago-Medellín from the high season in the month of December 2022, in time for the dates that are of greatest interest to our passengers."


That reads "we will return when demand is back" to me.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/09/je ... -y-bogota/

They will receive 4 additional aircraft by December, thats why they will restart those flights by end november and december.
CLO is different because they operate there daily (4x SCL and 3X ANF), so there is no crew inefficiency in these routes, different to BOG and MDE which are flow less than daily. So the problem whith these routes is related to cost and no to demand.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:48 pm

During the peak summer travel season, GOL will increase its flights on the Sao Paulo GRU - Mendoza MDZ route to daily service, from the current 4x week, operated with MAX 8 equipment.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/09/go ... y-mendoza/

There is demand on both ends of this route: "Mendocinos" going to Brazil for business and leisure, as well as Brazilians visiting Argentina's premier wine country. LATAM Brazil also serves Mendoza on the GRU-MDZ-SCL route.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:50 am

Andes Lineas Aereas, is trying to make a comeback. A former Spicejet 737 was painted at Shannon to be registered LV-KFW. Originally it was thought this frame would be going to FlyBondi.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/ ... st-2nNb3io
 
Elgorou
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:08 pm

Two new routes from SCL this sumer:

*SCL-BRC 3x week SKY Airline A320N. seasonale between 12 DEC and 19 MAR23

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/09/sk ... argentina/

*SCL-CTG 4x week Avianca A319, year around from 11 JAN23

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/220920-avjan23ctg
 
winGl3t
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:39 pm

GOL announcing some exciting stuff:
- resuming BUE to Northeast Brazil (SSA, REC, FOR, NAT-JPA, MCZ) and increasing BUE-FLN to 2 daily (this one is only for peak season).
- ASU-GRU and VVI-GRU increasing to daily from November;
- MVD-GRU moving from 7 to 10 weekly this September, up to 14 weekly by November.
- Launching seasonal MVD-SSA and MVD-GIG;
- As mentioned, MDZ-GRU moving up to daily.

Azul recently announced:
REC-MVD 2 weekly and MVD-FLN for peak season; Also seasonal VCP-PDP.
 
Cxtl1na
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Chilean forum says:
AA cancels JFK-SCL from the 1st of January next year (couldn't find proof)
AA confirms return to Chile from October.
UA will keep the 767 on IAH-SCL (was going to be a 772)
two weekly LA648/649 ANF (Antofagasta, northern Chile) - LIM. This time the inbound flight is flown late morning.
LA will keep 3 weekly SCL-LAX until 'at least' June next year... again couldn't find proof. But I'm not surprised LA could give up. They really, really lost their mojo in Chile imo.
 
BangersAndMash
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:52 pm

Cxtl1na wrote:
Chilean forum says:
AA cancels JFK-SCL from the 1st of January next year (couldn't find proof)


It has been pulled from the GDS from January so that looks to be true.
 
nickpo
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm

Viva goes daily in the BOG-EZE and MDE-EZE route starting Dec 19th 2022.
 
Cxtl1na
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:44 pm

Cxtl1na wrote:
Chilean forum says:
AA cancels JFK-SCL from the 1st of January next year (couldn't find proof)
AA confirms return to Chile from October.
UA will keep the 767 on IAH-SCL (was going to be a 772)
two weekly LA648/649 ANF (Antofagasta, northern Chile) - LIM. This time the inbound flight is flown late morning.
LA will keep 3 weekly SCL-LAX until 'at least' June next year... again couldn't find proof. But I'm not surprised LA could give up. They really, really lost their mojo in Chile imo.


Sorry for double posting, I'm not able to edit.
second line is: AA confirms return to Chile from October DFW-SCL daily 788
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:27 am

A330-223 LV-FNK MSN 358, Aerolineas Argentinas, retired on 30SEP and flew EZE-MIA-MZJ for storage and parting out. This was the oldest and last remaining P&W-powered A330 in the fleet. Leased from DVB Bank, last revenue flight 7AUG22, MIA-EZE.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:22 am

COPA launched today (02OCT) its 4th daily frequency between PTY and EZE. As of 01NOV, CM will operate:

* 28x w to EZE
* 7x w to COR
* 6x w to MDZ
* 7x w to ROS

* PTY-SLA continues to be suspended until further notice.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 7019
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 am

Cxtl1na wrote:
Cxtl1na wrote:
Chilean forum says:
AA cancels JFK-SCL from the 1st of January next year (couldn't find proof)
AA confirms return to Chile from October.
UA will keep the 767 on IAH-SCL (was going to be a 772)
two weekly LA648/649 ANF (Antofagasta, northern Chile) - LIM. This time the inbound flight is flown late morning.
LA will keep 3 weekly SCL-LAX until 'at least' June next year... again couldn't find proof. But I'm not surprised LA could give up. They really, really lost their mojo in Chile imo.


Sorry for double posting, I'm not able to edit.
second line is: AA confirms return to Chile from October DFW-SCL daily 788


AA never left Chile. They’ve been flying MIA-SCL the entire time.
 
Thijs88
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:35 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:52 am

Paranair announced the return to Ciudad del Este after the pandemic:
ASU-AGT with a CRJ200 on Tuesdays and Fridays.
https://www.abc.com.py/economia/2022/09 ... -del-este/
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:15 am

Thijs88 wrote:
Paranair announced the return to Ciudad del Este after the pandemic:
ASU-AGT with a CRJ200 on Tuesdays and Fridays.
https://www.abc.com.py/economia/2022/09 ... -del-este/


I believe this is also marks the return of domestic air travel to Paraguay, as this is the only commercial route flown within PY.
 
Boeing744
Posts: 1775
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:27 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:03 pm

Does anyone know how FlyBondi are doing operationally? I have read some horror stories from last summer, but I know they have been adding aircraft. Do they have any 738s still coming?

I am flying them AEP-IGR and back in January so hoping for no trouble!
 
User avatar
argentinevol98
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:53 pm

Boeing744 wrote:
Does anyone know how FlyBondi are doing operationally? I have read some horror stories from last summer, but I know they have been adding aircraft. Do they have any 738s still coming?

I am flying them AEP-IGR and back in January so hoping for no trouble!


Well, this is a bit out of date but I flew them about two months ago and it was an operational horror show of epic proportions. First leg was delayed 11 hours. Then for the return leg they went down an aircraft and they cancelled my flight and several others (got stuck in IGR with an engine issue IIRC). Rescheduled three days later. Refused to give all of the nights they owed us in a hotel and wanted to cut us one night because the flight left at 4 am ans thus wasn’t a “full night”. So were out of the hotel at noon, with 14 hours left (the kind people at the hotel kept our bags for us at least).

During those hours they kicked us off of the new flight because it was overbooked and rescheduled us for another 6 days later, would hace been 9 days late in total. They never picked up the phones, had to deal with them at AEP. There were so many cancelled flights and stranded passengers boiling over that we ended up with 15 police officers trying to control the situation. After 6 hours of insisting we got placed back on our flight but countless others were stranded. They also scammed us on a transport fare from CABA to EZE, which they promised to had promised pay us at EZE then claimed returns could only be processed in person at AEP…despite our flight was now leaving EZE to SLA (how were we supposed to ever get the money?-we never did).

Easily the worst run airline from a operational and customer service stand-point I’ve ever encountered personally. I understand they’ve since added an additional 738 which might ease the massive domino effect of cancellations if an aircraft goes out of service, but I can’t see it being enough to have a sustainable operation. Even then, with the added 738, pressure only lessens on the system if they keep one as a spare or at least loosen the work load overall on the frames across the system.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:29 pm

Boeing744 wrote:
Does anyone know how FlyBondi are doing operationally? I have read some horror stories from last summer, but I know they have been adding aircraft. Do they have any 738s still coming?

I am flying them AEP-IGR and back in January so hoping for no trouble!


Here's an interview (in Spanish) with its CEO apropos of their recent operational challenges over the July winter break. The usual story, it seems... 3 737 were supposed to make it to the fleet by July, the schedule was drawn taking into account those 3, which had been delayed by the lessor due to the global supply chain challenges, or so the airline says.

https://www.sirchandler.com.ar/2022/09/ ... -flybondi/

The 3 737 in question are ex-Garuda and are currently in Louisiana, USA, being readied for (finally) delivery to Flybondi.
 
Boeing744
Posts: 1775
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:27 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 pm

argentinevol98 wrote:
Boeing744 wrote:
Does anyone know how FlyBondi are doing operationally? I have read some horror stories from last summer, but I know they have been adding aircraft. Do they have any 738s still coming?

I am flying them AEP-IGR and back in January so hoping for no trouble!


Well, this is a bit out of date but I flew them about two months ago and it was an operational horror show of epic proportions. First leg was delayed 11 hours. Then for the return leg they went down an aircraft and they cancelled my flight and several others (got stuck in IGR with an engine issue IIRC). Rescheduled three days later. Refused to give all of the nights they owed us in a hotel and wanted to cut us one night because the flight left at 4 am ans thus wasn’t a “full night”. So were out of the hotel at noon, with 14 hours left (the kind people at the hotel kept our bags for us at least).

During those hours they kicked us off of the new flight because it was overbooked and rescheduled us for another 6 days later, would hace been 9 days late in total. They never picked up the phones, had to deal with them at AEP. There were so many cancelled flights and stranded passengers boiling over that we ended up with 15 police officers trying to control the situation. After 6 hours of insisting we got placed back on our flight but countless others were stranded. They also scammed us on a transport fare from CABA to EZE, which they promised to had promised pay us at EZE then claimed returns could only be processed in person at AEP…despite our flight was now leaving EZE to SLA (how were we supposed to ever get the money?-we never did).

Easily the worst run airline from a operational and customer service stand-point I’ve ever encountered personally. I understand they’ve since added an additional 738 which might ease the massive domino effect of cancellations if an aircraft goes out of service, but I can’t see it being enough to have a sustainable operation. Even then, with the added 738, pressure only lessens on the system if they keep one as a spare or at least loosen the work load overall on the frames across the system.


So sorry to hear about your experience... When was that if I may ask?

I've already booked and of course it is non-refundable. If they make any schedule changes in advance I'll likely cancel and shell out a bit more and rebook with Aerolineas. Failing that I just don't want to get stranded in IGR. I was actually considering booking a refundable return flight back to Buenos Aires with Aerolineas as a backup plan. It is much more important that I get back than getting to IGR in the first place.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:19 pm

GOL will return to Buenos Aires EZE airport, effective 4DEC22, with a daily rotation from FLN.

G39448 FLN 23:45 EZE 02:10+1 737 D
G39449 EZE 03:00 FLN 05:00 737 D

All other GOL ops in Buenos Aires remain at AEP.
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 3180
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:05 pm

dcajet wrote:
COPA launched today (02OCT) its 4th daily frequency between PTY and EZE. As of 01NOV, CM will operate:

* 28x w to EZE
* 7x w to COR
* 6x w to MDZ
* 7x w to ROS

* PTY-SLA continues to be suspended until further notice.

PTY-EZE 4 times per day!
Worth mentioning, the 4th daily frequency is P5, COPA Colombia (flown under Colombia-Argentina bilateral).
PTY-COR pre-pandemic was twice daily, one could guess that those 2nd daily flights - 2, 3 times per week, might re-start later this year or early 2023.
PTY-MDZ/ROS, IMHO, both markets could sustain 1-2 extra flights per week soon.
PTY-SLA, I’ve my doubts SLA’s market (which includes JUJ) may be able to sustain more than 2, 3 at best, PTY flights per week.
Wish CM would dare flying PTY-SLA-TUC-PTY or PTY-TUC-SLA-PTY (whichever gives CM a better performance) 4-5 per week; as between SLA and TUC may have the critical mass, also, 4 per week would always be more attractive than a twice weekly operation and as it’s not EZE, COR, ROS or MDZ, Argentina could even allow SLA/TUC frequencies outside the bilateral.

RE: Foz/Iguassu, perhaps for CM, O believe, AGT would make more sense than the Argentine or Brazilian airports in that region.
 
User avatar
argentinevol98
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:48 pm

Boeing744 wrote:

So sorry to hear about your experience... When was that if I may ask?

I've already booked and of course it is non-refundable. If they make any schedule changes in advance I'll likely cancel and shell out a bit more and rebook with Aerolineas. Failing that I just don't want to get stranded in IGR. I was actually considering booking a refundable return flight back to Buenos Aires with Aerolineas as a backup plan. It is much more important that I get back than getting to IGR in the first place.


That was back in mid July, you’ll probably be fine however. Got the bad luck of an aircraft going out for an entire week, unlikely to also happen to you. Fleet is also larger now. That said, do be weary of delays. Since the fleet is small delays elsewhere can cascade. I assume you’re not from Argentina, so be a bit weary of the return/cancellation policy. They can refund you, but with inflation that could be in dollars a fraction of what you paid for (they’ll refund you the peso value). This is a problem with basically any carrier in Argentina, however.

So as not to derail the topic, if you have anymore questions about traveling in Argentina feel free to send me a private message.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:05 am

The Uruguayan government announced today at the Buenos Aires FITUR (Intl Tourism Fair) that the ULCC Flybondi will start flying between Montevideo and Buenos Aires AEP, breaking the current monopoly held by Aerolineas Argentinas between the two cities, charging extortion prices for the 25-minute flight.

https://www.gub.uy/presidencia/comunica ... enos-aires
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:57 am

Aerolineas Argentinas has decorated with a special world cup scheme one of its A332, LV-FVH, featuring Messi on the tail. AR will be operating to Doha during the cup, with a series of charters on the EZE-FCO-DOH route.

Image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeRdy5TWAAIjD50

https://twitter.com/agusrodok/status/15 ... 8952578048
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4624
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:09 am

Any sign of LA returning on SCL-MEL, and/or further boosting SCL-AKL-SYD beyond daily?

South America-Oceania connectivity is still a lot smaller than pre-Covid, with LA dropping SCL-MEL and IPC-PPT and NZ dropping AKL-EZE.
 
igazzano
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:09 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Any sign of LA returning on SCL-MEL, and/or further boosting SCL-AKL-SYD beyond daily?

South America-Oceania connectivity is still a lot smaller than pre-Covid, with LA dropping SCL-MEL and IPC-PPT and NZ dropping AKL-EZE.


Qantas is coming back this month to SCL.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 9136
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:59 am

igazzano wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Any sign of LA returning on SCL-MEL, and/or further boosting SCL-AKL-SYD beyond daily?

South America-Oceania connectivity is still a lot smaller than pre-Covid, with LA dropping SCL-MEL and IPC-PPT and NZ dropping AKL-EZE.


Qantas is coming back this month to SCL.


LA also ran SCL-SYD non stop 3 weekly with 4 day via AKL. Gott admit I was surprised when LA announced non stop to MEL, I thought they would have gone via AKL first and added non stop SYD.

However it will take time for things to fully recover, many airlines are short of capacity and crew, I wonder if in time LA will replace or semi replace the NZ capacity?

LA don’t fly IPC-PPT? They still serve both from SCL dedicated non stop?
 
igazzano
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:37 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
igazzano wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Any sign of LA returning on SCL-MEL, and/or further boosting SCL-AKL-SYD beyond daily?

South America-Oceania connectivity is still a lot smaller than pre-Covid, with LA dropping SCL-MEL and IPC-PPT and NZ dropping AKL-EZE.


Qantas is coming back this month to SCL.


LA also ran SCL-SYD non stop 3 weekly with 4 day via AKL. Gott admit I was surprised when LA announced non stop to MEL, I thought they would have gone via AKL first and added non stop SYD.

However it will take time for things to fully recover, many airlines are short of capacity and crew, I wonder if in time LA will replace or semi replace the NZ capacity?

LA don’t fly IPC-PPT? They still serve both from SCL dedicated non stop?


LA (pre pandemic) used to fly 2 daily to IPC, there was 1 additional weekly flight SCL-IPC-PPT, for that flight there was an IPC based crew, they just only did IPC-PPT-IPC to avoid one week of layover at PPT.
Currently the IPC airport doesn’t have the authorization to operate internacional flights.
In a Chilean aviation forum I saw the Easter Island people are trying to get this flight back.
 
winGl3t
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:47 pm

igazzano wrote:
LA (pre pandemic) used to fly 2 daily to IPC, there was 1 additional weekly flight SCL-IPC-PPT, for that flight there was an IPC based crew, they just only did IPC-PPT-IPC to avoid one week of layover at PPT.
Currently the IPC airport doesn’t have the authorization to operate internacional flights.
In a Chilean aviation forum I saw the Easter Island people are trying to get this flight back.


I have always wondered about the demographic of the IPC-PPT flights. In my head its target audience are wealhty south americans on the way to great vacations or honeymoon, I have many acquaintances that flew GRU-SCL-IPC-PPT and remeber seeing the pictures of LA 767. But is there VFR traffic between Chile and PPT? Significant cargo demand?
 
igazzano
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:47 pm

winGl3t wrote:
igazzano wrote:
LA (pre pandemic) used to fly 2 daily to IPC, there was 1 additional weekly flight SCL-IPC-PPT, for that flight there was an IPC based crew, they just only did IPC-PPT-IPC to avoid one week of layover at PPT.
Currently the IPC airport doesn’t have the authorization to operate internacional flights.
In a Chilean aviation forum I saw the Easter Island people are trying to get this flight back.


I have always wondered about the demographic of the IPC-PPT flights. In my head its target audience are wealhty south americans on the way to great vacations or honeymoon, I have many acquaintances that flew GRU-SCL-IPC-PPT and remeber seeing the pictures of LA 767. But is there VFR traffic between Chile and PPT? Significant cargo demand?


In fact, it is a mix of honeymoon, VFR (note the Easter Island, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Hawaii and islands share the same culture and related languages , cruise customers, and people who prefer do PPT-IPC-SCL-GRU-CDG instead of PPT-LAX-CDG / SFO-ORY, it is longer but you avoid crowed airports and also to do customs and border control at the US (and of course no need to have visa or esta).
Of course if you choose the south pacific south American route you should clear customs and passport control at IPC and passport control at SCL because you are changing from an international flight to a domestic one.
Last month I went to French Polynesia and I saw a lot of products from Chile (specially cookies) and Argentinian and Uruguayan meat, so that flight also would be an excellent alternative
 
User avatar
Mistral1
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:15 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:50 pm

winGl3t wrote:
igazzano wrote:
LA (pre pandemic) used to fly 2 daily to IPC, there was 1 additional weekly flight SCL-IPC-PPT, for that flight there was an IPC based crew, they just only did IPC-PPT-IPC to avoid one week of layover at PPT.
Currently the IPC airport doesn’t have the authorization to operate internacional flights.
In a Chilean aviation forum I saw the Easter Island people are trying to get this flight back.


I have always wondered about the demographic of the IPC-PPT flights. In my head its target audience are wealhty south americans on the way to great vacations or honeymoon, I have many acquaintances that flew GRU-SCL-IPC-PPT and remeber seeing the pictures of LA 767. But is there VFR traffic between Chile and PPT? Significant cargo demand?


I can only tell you from my experience that when I flew SCL-IPC-PPT, about 80% of the passengers descended in IPC and no less than 50 locals boarded for the PPT segment. Same on the flight back. i don´t know about cargo, but there is an ethnic traffic between Easter Island and Tahiti.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:35 pm

Boeing744 wrote:
Does anyone know how FlyBondi are doing operationally? I have read some horror stories from last summer, but I know they have been adding aircraft. Do they have any 738s still coming?

I am flying them AEP-IGR and back in January so hoping for no trouble!


Finally, and with a few months' delay, the first of three additional 737-800 for Flybondi arrived at EZE. The other two are expected to arrive over the next few weeks.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/10/fl ... g-737-800/
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4624
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:25 am

igazzano wrote:
Currently the IPC airport doesn’t have the authorization to operate internacional flights.

Will it get this back?

I presume LA to PPT would be the only possible international route.

IPC-GMR on an Air Tahiti ATR-72, while cool, would be way too far.
 
voxkel
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:43 am

Does anyone know why AR's upcoming second MIA-EZE (AR1303) has a 4am arrival? I was curious and looked up the timings - seems horrible IMO. Was this a slot issue at MIA, or is there a small DL bank from LAX/JFK/BOS that arrives just before? Obviously MIA is an AA superhub, but does AR generally leverage DL connections for its nighttime MIA-EZE flight?
 
voxkel
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:46 am

Also - noticed AR is operating a flight AR1307 on the A332 tonight. Interesting since it's an odd number and northbounds from EZE are generally even. Its headed due north - probably destined for somewhere in the northeast US (i.e. JFK). Is it some charter flight?
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:03 am

voxkel wrote:
Also - noticed AR is operating a flight AR1307 on the A332 tonight. Interesting since it's an odd number and northbounds from EZE are generally even. Its headed due north - probably destined for somewhere in the northeast US (i.e. JFK). Is it some charter flight?


It is a transposing of the flight # on some system and FR24 is picking it up. It is actually AR 1370 EZE-CUN that took off from EZE at 22:19 GMT+3.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:09 am

voxkel wrote:
Does anyone know why AR's upcoming second MIA-EZE (AR1303) has a 4am arrival? I was curious and looked up the timings - seems horrible IMO. Was this a slot issue at MIA, or is there a small DL bank from LAX/JFK/BOS that arrives just before? Obviously MIA is an AA superhub, but does AR generally leverage DL connections for its nighttime MIA-EZE flight?


All of AR's intercontinental morning arrivals land at EZE very early in the AM, this has been the case for years now for flights from FCO, JFK, MAD & MIA. I reckon this is done to improve aircraft utilization as the MIA arrival is back on its way up to MIA on the daytime departure by 8AM; other frames are deployed on domestic turns to BRC, FTE, IGR and USH before departing back to Europe, Cancun and the US around 10-11pm in the evening.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:55 am

AR's Argentinian national football/soccer team made its first flight to MAD on 8OCT, AR1132.

 
incitatus
Posts: 3471
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:32 am

Running a comparison of beach destinations in Brazil Summer peak season versus before the pandemic - from Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay:

FLN (Florianopolis): Prime vacation destination from the Deep South in Brazil. It is served by a number of carriers.
53 flights per week 2023 vs 56 flights per week 2020. Seat capacity only down 0.5%
Served from Buenos Aires, Santiago, Montevideo, Asuncion, Cordoba and Rosario.

CFB (Cabo Frio): Used to have twice week service from Buenos Aires which have not returned.

BPS (Porto Seguro): Used to have 4 x week service from Buenos Aires and 1 x week service from Cordoba, which have not returned.

SSA (Salvador): Lost service from Santiago and from Cordoba.
8 flights per week in 2023 vs 16 flights per week in 2020. Seat capacity down 50%
Served from Buenos Aires and Montevideo

MCZ (Maceio): Once a week service from Buenos Aires, which is the same as in 2020.

REC (Recife): Lost service from Cordoba, Rosario and Santiago
3 flights per week in 2023 vs 7 flights per week in 2020. Seat capacity down 57%
Served from Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

NAT (Natal): It had two flights per week from Buenos Aires, but in 2023 there is only one. Seat capacity down 50%.

FOR (Fortaleza): Once a week service from Buenos Aires, which is the same as in 2020.

And finally, Rio is a bit of a mixed market - holiday, business and personal travel destination. It is also a waypoint to the rest of Brazil and Europe.
It has 123 flights per week in 2023 vs 155 flights per week in 2020. Seat capacity is down 21%.
In spite of the capacity cut, all routes survived: Buenos Aires, Santiago, Montevideo, Cordoba, Rosario, Asuncion. There is a new one with twice week flights: Mendoza.

On the carrier side, the three big ones have cuts: Aerolineas cut 29%, Gol cut 20% and LATAM cut 55%. Chilean Sky is the fourth largest carrier in these markets with 19% growth 2023 vs 2020.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:17 am

incitatus wrote:
Running a comparison of beach destinations in Brazil Summer peak season versus before the pandemic - from Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay:

FLN (Florianopolis): Prime vacation destination from the Deep South in Brazil. It is served by a number of carriers.
53 flights per week 2023 vs 56 flights per week 2020. Seat capacity only down 0.5%
Served from Buenos Aires, Santiago, Montevideo, Asuncion, Cordoba and Rosario.

CFB (Cabo Frio): Used to have twice week service from Buenos Aires which have not returned.

BPS (Porto Seguro): Used to have 4 x week service from Buenos Aires and 1 x week service from Cordoba, which have not returned.

SSA (Salvador): Lost service from Santiago and from Cordoba.
8 flights per week in 2023 vs 16 flights per week in 2020. Seat capacity down 50%
Served from Buenos Aires and Montevideo

MCZ (Maceio): Once a week service from Buenos Aires, which is the same as in 2020.

REC (Recife): Lost service from Cordoba, Rosario and Santiago
3 flights per week in 2023 vs 7 flights per week in 2020. Seat capacity down 57%
Served from Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

NAT (Natal): It had two flights per week from Buenos Aires, but in 2023 there is only one. Seat capacity down 50%.

FOR (Fortaleza): Once a week service from Buenos Aires, which is the same as in 2020.

And finally, Rio is a bit of a mixed market - holiday, business and personal travel destination. It is also a waypoint to the rest of Brazil and Europe.
It has 123 flights per week in 2023 vs 155 flights per week in 2020. Seat capacity is down 21%.
In spite of the capacity cut, all routes survived: Buenos Aires, Santiago, Montevideo, Cordoba, Rosario, Asuncion. There is a new one with twice week flights: Mendoza.

On the carrier side, the three big ones have cuts: Aerolineas cut 29%, Gol cut 20% and LATAM cut 55%. Chilean Sky is the fourth largest carrier in these markets with 19% growth 2023 vs 2020.


Couple of comments:

BPS: Actually AR is operating on the EZE-BPS route, but on a charter basis, as AR1960/1961, 2-3x week with MAX 8 equipment. I suspect the flights are organized by one or more Argentinian wholesalers.

CFB: was operated by Azul, which has not yet made public when they intend to return to Argentina. I hear rumors that they would return end of next month and plan to operate at AEP instead of EZE. Take it with a grain of salt. They also operated on the EZE-Navegantes route, which served Balneario Camboriu, very popular in Argentina as a slightly more affordable alternative to Florianopolis and its beaches.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:58 am

After 2+ years grounded, Argentina's Andes is planning a return to operations, this time around as a charter airline. A Boeing 737-800 is being readied for delivery at Shannon airport, registered LV-KFW. The airline, based at Salta SLA, used to be the last MD80 operator in Argentina.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/52418989065/
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:54 pm

Low cost JetSMART Argentina adds more flights on the yet to be inaugurated EZE-GIG route, slated to begin on 06DEC, 3x w. Effective 19DEC and thru 05MAR23, 2 extra frequencies will be added for a total of 5x w, operated with A320s. The airline said that a higher than expected reservations' volume is behind this increase in flights.
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:51 pm

I am wondering if the expansion at AEP, mostly ramp space which could accomodate widebodies, means long haul operations for next year or so. Sadly the terminal is tiny at best, for the current volume of operations for domestic flights. International cannot be better, methinks.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: The deep South America thread (ARG/CL/PY/UY)

Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:13 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
I am wondering if the expansion at AEP, mostly ramp space which could accomodate widebodies, means long haul operations for next year or so. Sadly the terminal is tiny at best, for the current volume of operations for domestic flights. International cannot be better, methinks.


I doubt any work could be completed by 2023, as AA2000 (the airport operator/administrator) is only getting started now with the demolition of the old Austral terminal and control tower, as well as taking over what used to be the north car parking area, where the actual 2 positions for A330-sized WB will be located.

In any event, I doubt we will see long haul ops out of AEP: even with the runway extension I am not sure a fully loaded A330 would make it to, say, Rome or Madrid nonstop from AEP. More likely we could see widebodies to some regional destinations such as GRU or LIM, or the classic high volume domestic destinations such as BRC, FTE, IGR or USH. And let's not forget reciprocity: (if) once AR eventually starts international WB services at AEP, foreign airlines also have the right to operate them from AEP as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos