Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

admanager
Topic Author

De Havilland to announce new manufacturing complex

Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:51 pm

https://calgaryherald.com/business/varc ... 26391/amp/
A complete green field development including runways, assembly buildings, and everything else to support their line.
Also noted is there will be a review of the twin otter and Q400 business lines

wedgetail737

Re: De Havilland to announce new manufacturing complex

Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:10 pm

I thought Viking bought the rights to build the Twin Otters.

jbs2886

Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

Viking bought De Havilland, its one in the same.

SEA

Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:26 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

From the article:

In February, the company announced the consolidation of Viking Air, Longview Aviation, Pacific Sky Training and De Havilland Canada under the operating brand, De Havilland Aircraft of Canada. The company is owned by Westerkirk Capital, which is owned by billionaire Sherry Brydson.

Skywatcher

Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:13 pm

The CL-215/415 were manufactured historically first in Montreal and then North Bay ON I believe.
I know the Montreal facility has long been closed but what happened to the one in North Bay?

The Twin Otter (Twotter) has been dormant for a few years and I hope to see it revived.

The Dash-8-400 is currently manufactured in Toronto and has been for ages.
Is there any current backlog? If so, can Toronto handle it before Downsview closes?

Is there any chance of future orders for the Dash-8? The technology is aging rapidly so I personally doubt it. There are so many used frames sitting around waiting for a buyer as far as I know.

baje427

Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:00 pm

I think they should make the step and launch the electric version of the classic Dash 8.

NameOmitted

Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:03 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
The CL-215/415 were manufactured historically first in Montreal and then North Bay ON I believe.
I know the Montreal facility has long been closed but what happened to the one in North Bay?

The Twin Otter (Twotter) has been dormant for a few years and I hope to see it revived.

The Dash-8-400 is currently manufactured in Toronto and has been for ages.
Is there any current backlog? If so, can Toronto handle it before Downsview closes?

Is there any chance of future orders for the Dash-8? The technology is aging rapidly so I personally doubt it. There are so many used frames sitting around waiting for a buyer as far as I know.

I think the future of the Dash-8 is in seeing if the 100-300 series can be rebuilt along the lines of what they (as Viking) did for the Beaver and Otter (excluding the new builds). It's hard to zero-hour a pressurized aircraft, but operators in that market are not exactly spoiled for choice, so it may be worth trying.

I would LOVE to see something new out of the heritage of DHC, but they play in a really tight market. That being said, we know so little about this new facility. They may be able to do some licensed work for other companies.

gmcc

Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:18 pm

Little video from De Havilland showing the vision for the field
https://vimeo.com/751419485

JayinKitsap

Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 pm

Dash 8-400 production has stopped at Downsview with the closing ceremony back in June 22. I believe they now only have offices in Toronto.

DHC has moved its Toronto staff to new offices at nearby Pearson Airport, where the engineering team is working with DHC employees across Canada to launch of production of the DHC-515 Firefighter (née CL-515) in Calgary, Alberta, where DHC also manufactures the Twin Otter Series 400. The company recently secured an order for 23 DHC-515s from several European government customers.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... ew-airport

YEGFlyer

Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:52 pm

This is a dying company until and unless they can develop a new aircraft. I don't think this will end well. I don't think this is a win for Calgary given who is being attracted. Hope tax dollars didn't go to this.

F9Animal

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:06 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
This is a dying company until and unless they can develop a new aircraft. I don't think this will end well. I don't think this is a win for Calgary given who is being attracted. Hope tax dollars didn't go to this.

I would think they have plans to develop a new plane. I mean, it's the only logical reasoning for this new property. Hoping whatever they plan, it's something sweeter than the beautiful products they have produced.

wedgetail737

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:52 pm

SEA wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

From the article:

In February, the company announced the consolidation of Viking Air, Longview Aviation, Pacific Sky Training and De Havilland Canada under the operating brand, De Havilland Aircraft of Canada. The company is owned by Westerkirk Capital, which is owned by billionaire Sherry Brydson.

Thanks for the education! I thought the Twin Otters were still selling.

kjeld0d

Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:18 am

baje427 wrote:
I think they should make the step and launch the electric version of the classic Dash 8.

"make the step"? have they invented some kind of magical battery that is 70 times denser than lithium-ion?

Metchalus

Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:54 am

kjeld0d wrote:
baje427 wrote:

"make the step"? have they invented some kind of magical battery that is 70 times denser than lithium-ion?

They're probably refering to this hybrid electric project.

https://dehavilland.com/en/news/posts/d ... technology

yhu

Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:22 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:

From what I remember, the Twin Otter -400 series was selling fairly well under Viking. I also see the water bomber having consistent sale stickle in, although it's never been an aircraft with strong sales outside of Canada. There are a lot of 215s getting very long in the tooth, and I think DHC announced a conversion program for them if I'm not mistaken?

The Q400 didn't have a lot of sales left, but I think there is a lot of potential outside of the Q400 line. Especially if they have maintenance and overall facilities here, which the video shows they will.

Metchalus

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:43 pm

yhu wrote:
YEGFlyer wrote:

From what I remember, the Twin Otter -400 series was selling fairly well under Viking. I also see the water bomber having consistent sale stickle in, although it's never been an aircraft with strong sales outside of Canada. There are a lot of 215s getting very long in the tooth, and I think DHC announced a conversion program for them if I'm not mistaken?

The Q400 didn't have a lot of sales left, but I think there is a lot of potential outside of the Q400 line. Especially if they have maintenance and overall facilities here, which the video shows they will.

It doesn't make sense to build an entirely new site just for their existing product lines.

For the amount of interest in the Q400 they might aswell stay at Downsview.

They've gotta be looking at launching something new.

iamlucky13

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:24 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
baje427 wrote:

For reference, jet fuel has an energy density of about 43 MJ/kg, which is 11.9 kWh/kg. If we assume 40% engine efficiency, that would be a final realized work output of 4.8 kWh/kg.

The current state of the art for lithium ion batteries store about 0.26 kWh/kg at the bare cell level. Assuming 90% combined discharge and motor efficiency, and allowing an extra 15% mass for the structure, interconnects, and cooling of a complete battery pack would give a final realized output of 0.2 kWh/kg.

That would be a ratio of 24 times the effective energy density in favor of liquid fuel.

9252fly

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:33 pm

Metchalus wrote:
yhu wrote:
YEGFlyer wrote:

The Downsview facilty is closed.

gmcc

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:48 pm

Wonder if CDHC is available for assignment as an airport code.

Metchalus

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:50 am

9252fly wrote:
Metchalus wrote:
yhu wrote:

Ah right. I thought it was still in the process of closing down.

yhu

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:03 pm

Metchalus wrote:
9252fly wrote:
Metchalus wrote:

Ah right. I thought it was still in the process of closing down.

I believe Bombardier are finishing up work on the final globals, as I've seen a couple still doing test flights. The manufacturing facility has build it's last plane of both the Globals and the Dash 8s. So DHC wasn't given much of a choice.

They had a facility in Calgary and one in Victoria, so I'm assuming the choice was to either expand one of those facilities to handle all aircraft or build something from scratch. I don't think Victoria or Calgary (YYC) could handle the Twin Otter, Water Bomber and the Dash 8s. Plus, aren't they working on a new Buffalo or Caribou as well?

Skywatcher

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:46 pm

As a cheerleader for Canadian aviation I hope they succeed but the video looks sort of like a "wish list" rather than realistic. There must be around 10 thousand cars in those parking lots. I bet there will be government money coming their way. The politicians must be salivating at the prospect of using the video to get votes!

yhu

Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:59 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
As a cheerleader for Canadian aviation I hope they succeed but the video looks sort of like a "wish list" rather than realistic. There must be around 10 thousand cars in those parking lots. I bet there will be government money coming their way. The politicians must be salivating at the prospect of using the video to get votes!

I wonder if there is a hope of other companies using the airport? Will it be like Downsview where it was Bombardier only allowed or are they open to other maintenance companies opening up a facility at the airport? With most (if not all) of their aircraft using P&WC engines, could Pratt open an engine overhaul shop? I agree that it seems like a big leap, but the idea is interesting.

JannEejit

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:19 pm

Back in 2008, whilst visiting a friend in Toronto, a retired DHC employee, we took a little drive out to the site and also visited a small museum which housed amongst other things a life sized model of the Avro Arrow. Did that also close down with Downsview ?

hz747300

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:09 am

I thought Downsview Airport was closing permanently and converted to a mix-use facility. So whatever DHC, Bombardier, Airbus 220, they can go wherever they want, but they can't stay here. I also agree that to create a new purpose build facility, I would hope that they would have no ideas to generate. Probably the hybrid model is taken up by that other firm which Air Canada itself even invested in, but hybrid technologies seem the logical choice.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos