Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkojq
Topic Author

Ten years since Syrian Arab Airlines 501

Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:12 am

It's for sure one of the more obscure accidents, but it's now ten years since Syrian Arab Airlines flight 501. The Airbus A320 (YK-AKF) hit a helicopter when climbing through FL120 out of Damascus which resulted in much of the tail being chopped off. The Airbus landed safely whilst the helicopter crashed. Damage was extensive, as the photos in the below links show.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20120920-0

http://avherald.com/h?article=45671063&opt=0

The aircraft was repaired and eventually reentered service. It was put into storage in 2020. Supposedly the passengers on the accident flight made it to their destinations with only a five hour delay.

Chasensfo

Re: Ten years since Syrian Arab Airlines 501

Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:25 am

I'd always hoped there would be some kind of a Mayday episode about this or something, but I guess it is probably hard to set up interviews in Syria at the moment lol. Didn't know the pax still got out just 5 hours late, even more badass.

Despite the operating environment, if I recall, Syrianair has never had a fatal accident in over 50 years of operation.

N14AZ

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:12 am

Thank you for reminding us about this accident. What a pity there is no video of the landing…
zkojq wrote:
Supposedly the passengers on the accident flight made it to their destinations with only a five hour delay.

That’s actually not too bad after your plane hit an helicopter and half of the tail fin has been ripped off…

zkojq
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:41 am

Chasensfo wrote:
I'd always hoped there would be some kind of a Mayday episode about this or something, but I guess it is probably hard to set up interviews in Syria at the moment lol.

Agreed. I'm also surprised at how relatively little attention the accident got. Then again, the photos of the damaged aircraft appear to have been leaked, so I guess the whole thing could have been covered up even more.

Chasensfo wrote:
Didn't know the pax still got out just 5 hours late, even more badass.

Very impressive. Many airlines have much worse recovery times for lesser issues. I guess being banned from the EU maybe means that the airline has more spare aircraft.

N14AZ wrote:
Thank you for reminding us about this accident. What a pity there is no video of the landing…

Indeed. I'm also curious as to what damage there was to the rest of the aircraft's structure. Surely the damage wasn't just confined to the vertical stabilizer and rudder.

DH106

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:32 am

zkojq wrote:
Indeed. I'm also curious as to what damage there was to the rest of the aircraft's structure. Surely the damage wasn't just confined to the vertical stabilizer and rudder.

I guess the collision dynamics could have been that the A320 passed just below the helicopter but caught it with its fin. That would produce the sort of damage seen.

Noshow

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:35 am

Called chopper for a reason.