Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

720B
Topic Author

Qatar temporarily reopens old Doha airport for World Cup

Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:29 pm

To help cope with demand for the upcoming Fifa worldcup (kick off in 52 days), Qatar reopened the old Doha International airport

https://airwaysmag.com/doha-two-airport ... cdJsrxnBZU

Toinou

Re: Qatar reopened the old Doha International airport

Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:09 am

Apparently, accommodations is also so much of an issue that they intend to have many fans stay in neighboring countries and fly them to Qatar for games...

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/2 ... -world-cup

EK413

Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:23 am

When you have deep pockets nothings an issue…

Curious why the new airport can’t handle the additional demand during the World Cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiend

Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:29 am

EK413 wrote:

Curious why the new airport can’t handle the additional demand during the World Cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be to avoid the World Cup traffic from interfering the normal operation of DOH.

evanb

Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:43 am

EK413 wrote:

This was always the plan. The old airport never closed but rather closed to scheduled passenger traffic. It remained operational, so reopening the passenger terminal isn't a big task. It probably needed a significant cleaning.

The challenge is that Hamad International Airport is mostly designed for a very high proportion of transit passengers. It doesn't have the capacity to scale up the landside infrastructure like check-in, baggage claim, security, etc. Rather than build new capacity for this that would be once-off, they're using facilities next door. They had originally planned to demolish the terminal at the old airport, but kept it specifically for the World Cup. It'll probably be demolished or repurposed after the World Cup.

myki

Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:54 pm

That is something I hadn't thought of re transit vs originating pax. Clever to utilise the facility that is already there.

Breathe

Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:32 pm

Toinou wrote:
Apparently, accommodations is also so much of an issue that they intend to have many fans stay in neighboring countries and fly them to Qatar for games...

I wonder how the organisers will spin the "sustainability" aspect of this. I can just picture Greta screaming "HOW DARE YOU!!!" :lol:

B777LRF

Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:47 pm

As mentioned above, one major issue is lack of hotel availability. As in, Doha is completely and 100% sold out for the duration of the WC and has been so for many months now. This means people will have to stay over in Bahrain, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and anywhere else there’s rooms available. That again necessitates a huge airborne shuttle operation every single day, which Hamad would never be able to cope with. But the old airport, repurposed for just this occasion, will be.

So it’s actually not all that stupid, the big question is of course how many fans will make the journey. Preliminary numbers from my country are extremely low, as in magnitudes lower than when the WC was held in South Africa or Brazil, both of which were more expensive propositions. Seems that, at least some, fans are boycotting the WC; and that’s certainly commendable. I’ll do my part, utterly insignificant as it is, by only watching the matches my country participate in. I know, it’s stupid.

Exeiowa

Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:06 pm

I love flying, not sure I would want to do it as method of public transport from hotel to stadium. Just another reason this decision was so stupid. I myself will probably completely ignore it. Roll on to the next one where I will definitely be attending, as nearest games will only be 4 hours away.

ojjunior

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:16 pm

I heard that motorhomes rental in Doha are booming for a while since hotel rates skyrocketed as well. Add to this the ability to move by yourself from stadium A to B with no airport waiting times and usual annoying and voilá!

enterusername

Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:36 pm

ojjunior wrote:
I heard that motorhomes rental in Doha are booming for a while since hotel rates skyrocketed as well. Add to this the ability to move by yourself from stadium A to B with no airport waiting times and usual annoying and voilá!

I'm guessing you havent researched or been to Qatar before? You most definitely arent moving a motorhome from Stadium A to B. The stadiums are 35 miles apart from the furthest and most are within 8-10 miles of eachother. In the middle of Doha. You arent going to be driving a motorhome from one to the next. Or anywhere in Doha.

airbazar

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:28 am

Breathe wrote:
Toinou wrote:

I wonder how the organisers will spin the "sustainability" aspect of this. I can just picture Greta screaming "HOW DARE YOU!!!" :lol:

This is not unusual. This happens at every major tournament where charter flights bring in fans just for the game and leave right after the game. Heck, every single Champions League game that requires some travel sees these flights. For the WC in Brazil there were charter flights from Europe and back. Don't be surprised to see the same single day charters from Europe/Africa/Asia to Qatar considering it's half the distance than to Brazil.

cskok8

Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:56 am

Are cruise ships part of the accommodation plan?

hongkongflyer

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:22 am

cskok8 wrote:
Are cruise ships part of the accommodation plan?

yes the completely new MSC Europa, I booked the second cruises on her after the World Cup charter.

Aesma

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:36 am

enterusername wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

I'm guessing you havent researched or been to Qatar before? You most definitely arent moving a motorhome from Stadium A to B. The stadiums are 35 miles apart from the furthest and most are within 8-10 miles of eachother. In the middle of Doha. You arent going to be driving a motorhome from one to the next. Or anywhere in Doha.

Wouldn't you die of a heat stroke in the motorhome ?

airbazar

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:21 pm

Aesma wrote:
enterusername wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

Wouldn't you die of a heat stroke in the motorhome ?

Here in the U.S. motorhomes have A/C and can plug-in to the grid so I would expect the same in Qatar.

Breathe

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:08 pm

airbazar wrote:
Breathe wrote:
Toinou wrote:

This is not unusual. This happens at every major tournament where charter flights bring in fans just for the game and leave right after the game. Heck, every single Champions League game that requires some travel sees these flights. For the WC in Brazil there were charter flights from Europe and back. Don't be surprised to see the same single day charters from Europe/Africa/Asia to Qatar considering it's half the distance than to Brazil.

No. What I am referring to is that fans who are travelling for the duration (or at least group stage) of the tournament are having to stay outside of Qatar due to not being able to find accommodation in the country. The organisers made a song and dance about the sustainability of hosting the tournament in the country in that there would be less distance between the venues, more environmentally friendly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos