Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TC957
Topic Author

MH set to return A380's to Airbus

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:50 pm

As trade-in for their recent A330NEO order, MH have negotiated that they return their unwanted A380's back to Airbus.
Guess they'll end up parked at Teruel or in France next.
Wonder if BA or EK fancy taking them of Airbus's hands for a steal - cabin refitting costs notwithstanding.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... b61dc4c7c8

accentra

Re: MH set to return A380's to Airbus

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:02 pm

Interesting. I seem to recall (but I might be wrong) that BA 'kicked the tyres' on these RR-powered birds when MH first indicated that it wanted to sell them? Would they be interested now, if Airbus offered them with some kind of manufacturer's warranty? Of course there are also the other RR-powered birds that Airbus took back from Lufthansa available. Package deal for the lot, BA? Unlikely, I know.

william

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:09 pm

That makes a lot of sense.BA would feel better buying or leasing these from Airbus since they would know Airbus thoroughly check out and update these A380s before offering them on Aero Trader.

flyingclrs727

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:10 pm

accentra wrote:
Interesting. I seem to recall (but I might be wrong) that BA 'kicked the tyres' on these RR-powered birds when MH first indicated that it wanted to sell them? Would they be interested now, if Airbus offered them with some kind of manufacturer's warranty? Of course there are also the other RR-powered birds that Airbus took back from Lufthansa available. Package deal for the lot, BA? Unlikely, I know.

They could be used up and retired before LHR ever gets its third runway.

Prost

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:26 pm

I rather wish that Airbus came up with a P2F conversion plan. I understand that there would be limited abilities for freight companies to handle the birds, but if the equipment were at at key distribution hubs I wonder if it would be feasible.

It just seems wasteful to break up something that can still be of use.

Noshow

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:39 pm

With increasing use of the -in between parked- A380 fleet again spare parts become an issue. Like main gears and such. Malaysian didn't use their A380 that much they might be attractive part donors?

LAXintl

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:00 pm

This was posted in the Malaysian Airlines thread previously.

Carrier negotiated the A380 return part of its recent 330NEO order.

Boeing757100

Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:05 am

Prost wrote:
I rather wish that Airbus came up with a P2F conversion plan. I understand that there would be limited abilities for freight companies to handle the birds, but if the equipment were at at key distribution hubs I wonder if it would be feasible.

If the 380P2F were to hypothetically be used in key distribution hubs, the wingspan would still be an issue. Gates would be a problem, but also taxiways since engines 1 and 4 would likely be hanging not over the taxiway and possibly inhale FOD.

I think even the 747-8 is less restricted in the number of airports despite having the same gate classification as the A380.

Also, any A380 freighter would run into a problem where if filled with cargo on both decks, the MTOW would be exceeded, so you'd essentially have to fly half empty all the time.

Sorry, but I don't see an A380 in any freighter config working

jbs2886

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:00 am

LAXintl wrote:

Okay, but not everyone reads those mega threads but would like to read this news.

evanb

Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:55 am

accentra wrote:

BA decided against taking the MH birds due to dramatic differences in the layout of the lavs, galleys, crew rest, etc. The cost of standardising the cabins to the BA specifications was going to be very expensive. There wasn't a concern from a maintenance perspective.

HTCone

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:02 am

Maybe offer them as part of a larger package for another type to say IAG? EG An A220/320 Neo/330 Neo order for EI, an A350 top up for BA/IB etc….and to sweeten the deal offer these cheap to BA.

MDC862

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:08 am

Maybe just park them and call it an expensive lesson.

FrenchPotatoEye

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:41 am

Only future for these is scrappings

N14AZ

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:45 am

jbs2886 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Okay, but not everyone reads those mega threads but would like to read this news.

Like me, for example.

Will be very interesting to see what Airbus does with LH‘s and MH‘s A 380s. Then again, with airlines reactivating their A 380s, why should the fate of these airframes be different from the ones that have been taken out of operation before, meaning spare parts.

Noshow

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:57 am

Low cycle spare parts will be even better.

CarbonFibre

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:39 am

Future Aviationtags.

LTEN11

Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:25 am

william wrote:
That makes a lot of sense.BA would feel better buying or leasing these from Airbus since they would know Airbus thoroughly check out and update these A380s before offering them on Aero Trader.

The only thing that makes sense is MH negotiating for Airbus to take these 380's off their hands.

readytotaxi

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:27 am

I think leisure travel is heading for a nose dive in the UK, 2023 going to be horrible year for joe public money wise. BA could even be parking some A380's again.

GCT64

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:41 am

readytotaxi wrote:
I think leisure travel is heading for a nose dive in the UK, 2023 going to be horrible year for joe public money wise. BA could even be parking some A380's again.

Conversely the US public are quickly realising that this is the best time ever to visit the UK. BA just need to change their point of sale focus.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:53 am

accentra wrote:

If Airbus truly is active in pushing the A380s to other airline, the planes would be flying right now. Instead, it's parked in KUL with MH's title & tail logo removed.

Honestly, the only way these planes would fly again is in pieces as parts on other operators' A380s.

eurotrader85

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:30 pm

evanb wrote:
accentra wrote:

BA decided against taking the MH birds due to dramatic differences in the layout of the lavs, galleys, crew rest, etc. The cost of standardising the cabins to the BA specifications was going to be very expensive. There wasn't a concern from a maintenance perspective.

The difference between then and now is BA face a WB capacity shortfall. Back then 779 was looking all ok to enter the fleet, they were still bleeding out the 744s. The only thing that BA can currently buy WB wise is the 35K and that simply isn't big enough. Who knows when the 779 will be delivered? If they want capacity at their slot constrained hub, with an aeroplane they already have in the fleet, they may well have to have a re-look at second-hand 380s, whether that is the MH birds or the LH or possibly OZ birds becoming available.

trex8

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:34 pm

Prost wrote:

Well Fedex and UPS had orders for a A380 freighter before it was dropped, and one of their CEOs siad when they dropped the order they thought a P2F would be useful some time.

by738

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:54 pm

these A380s will be going nowhere near BA. Never, nada, zilcho.

Arion640

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:58 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

Quite the opposite.

fcogafa

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:31 pm

Sir Tim is always whingeing on about how great they are, why isn't be buying up all the available ones?

par13del

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:50 pm

So, would it be a fair statement to say that a big issue affecting the secondary market for the A380 is the massive cost to redo the custom interior of the a/c?
If Airbus is really interested in keeping more a/c out of the scrap yard, would it be in their interest to take returned a/c, get the interior as standard as possible then push them out, would that be economically feasible? If not, it seems as if one of the key selling points of the a/c is the primary contributor to its demise, others may be interested in using the a/c but cannot afford the cost to strip out the custom interiors.

jmmadrid

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:12 pm

IBERIA have fantasized in the past with a small-ish fleet of five or six 380s to fly to Buenos Aires, Mexico and Bogotá. While IB do not offer First Class, these planes only have 8 of such seats that occupy relatively litte real estate, so maybe they can just leave those seats as they are and oversell Business and upgrade people if necesary.

accentra

Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:53 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:
evanb wrote:
accentra wrote:

The difference between then and now is BA face a WB capacity shortfall. Back then 779 was looking all ok to enter the fleet, they were still bleeding out the 744s. The only thing that BA can currently buy WB wise is the 35K and that simply isn't big enough. Who knows when the 779 will be delivered? If they want capacity at their slot constrained hub, with an aeroplane they already have in the fleet, they may well have to have a re-look at second-hand 380s, whether that is the MH birds or the LH or possibly OZ birds becoming available.

Yes, I don't think it's totally out of the realms of possibility that BA could take these (and/or the LH birds) on compelling (read dirt cheap) easy-return leases from Airbus, albeit only as a bridge to the 777-9s. Would they reconfigure them? Probably not massively, with only limited cost-effective/required tweaks, if they're a stop gap. Watch this space. BA will know if they can make use of them at a price that works for them. I'd be surprised if they're not at least running the numbers, even if the final answer is a likely 'no'.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:06 pm

accentra wrote:
eurotrader85 wrote:
evanb wrote:

Yes, I don't think it's totally out of the realms of possibility that BA could take these (and/or the LH birds) on compelling (read dirt cheap) easy-return leases from Airbus, albeit only as a bridge to the 777-9s. Would they reconfigure them? Probably not massively, with only limited cost-effective/required tweaks, if they're a stop gap. Watch this space. BA will know if they can make use of them at a price that works for them. I'd be surprised if they're not at least running the numbers, even if the final answer is a likely 'no'.

As BA and MH are both in OW, wouldn't it be easier for BA to wet-lease the A380 from MH? (assuming MH's crew are type-current and haven't left the company already)....

evanb

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:31 pm

889091 wrote:
As BA and MH are both in OW, wouldn't it be easier for BA to wet-lease the A380 from MH? (assuming MH's crew are type-current and haven't left the company already)....

What does OW have to do with it?

Prost

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:38 pm

I imagine BA’s crews wouldn’t be terribly fond of someone else flying their routes.

evanb

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:56 pm

par13del wrote:
So, would it be a fair statement to say that a big issue affecting the secondary market for the A380 is the massive cost to redo the custom interior of the a/c?
If Airbus is really interested in keeping more a/c out of the scrap yard, would it be in their interest to take returned a/c, get the interior as standard as possible then push them out, would that be economically feasible? If not, it seems as if one of the key selling points of the a/c is the primary contributor to its demise, others may be interested in using the a/c but cannot afford the cost to strip out the custom interiors.

Not necessarily. This isn't linear. The cost of customising the interior isn't linear. In this case there were some specific parameters that made it more expensive given just how different the aircraft were. Some refurbishments will cost more than others, specifically the structural changes in plumbing and wiring, the galleys and lavs. The seats are less of the cost, but more the structural changes.

Then add to this the relative opportunity costs that BA and MH faced. For BA these may have changed, although in different directions. Their need for wide bodies have changed, alternative aircraft options have also changed, the cost of the specific aircraft likely changed, so have financing parameters like interest rates, etc etc. Who knows which directions the overall calculus has changed.

That said, the aircraft are now 10-11 years old. The cost of these refurbishment, are now going to be amortised over a shorter period than when BA previously considered them. But that said, Airbus now own the aircraft and face a different balance sheet to MH. What is their opportunity cost?

PhilMcCrackin

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:52 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:
evanb wrote:
accentra wrote:

With the UK economy in the toilet right now and the weakness of the pound and god knows what's going to happen to petroleum prices now with Russian oil out of the market, I doubt BA is in any rush to jack up capacity by purchasing used 380s. Especially going into the winter season.

Aesma

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:46 pm

It's really something to think that the customized interiors is what caused years of delays at the start of the life of the A380, and now it makes it impossible to sell second hand...

evanb

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:55 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
With the UK economy in the toilet right now and the weakness of the pound and god knows what's going to happen to petroleum prices now with Russian oil out of the market, I doubt BA is in any rush to jack up capacity by purchasing used 380s. Especially going into the winter season.

Economy certainly isn't great, but they're not acquiring long long haul capacity with a short term view. Pound has been dumped badly, but it's done okay against the Euro in the last year to two years. What's happened to the Pound over the last year to two is very similar to most other currencies against the Dollar, so it's systematic industrywide. For example, the Australian dollar is down 25% against the Dollar since the beginning of 2021. These are all part of the calculus. If anything, it may favor used aircraft ahead of new in the short term.

Also, given that these aircraft are 10-11 years old and owned by Airbus who are likely to impair them pretty quickly, they'd probably be leased rather than purchased anyway.

Addition: Futures are predicting oil down quite substantially over the next year or two.

evanb

Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:00 am

Aesma wrote:
It's really something to think that the customized interiors is what caused years of delays at the start of the life of the A380, and now it makes it impossible to sell second hand...

Every long haul aircraft has customized interiors. Some airlines more than others. The bigger the aircraft, the larger the absolute cost. As the aircraft gets bigger, the cost gets bigger for everything except unit operating costs, not just customisation. But that trade-off implies risk, larger loses when flying empty, or yield degradation to keep full. But if you can fill without yield degradation, they're gold mines.

jfk777

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:44 am

BA is going to have to refurbish their A380 with the new Club suite Business Class seats. The seats their A380 fleet and 787-8/9 fleets have in J class are the older opposite facing seats.

amdiesen

Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:27 pm

Prost wrote:

When one steps toward possibilities and aspirations, converting an a380 into a flying sort facility/freighter tilts toward the ‘sonic air’ business model. The sort on the upper deck and sorted/unsorted freight moving to/from storage on the main and cargo decks.

FiscAutTecGarte

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:15 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

Why are all of you on the other side of the pond going to be taking voluntary pay cuts? Are you all planning to be 'outsourced' en masse?

I understand that recessions make it so that the very wealthiest don't continue to grow their wealth substantially... and that all of our retirement savings stops growing (but we aren't supposed to be tapping that yet)... I made albout 20% less in 2020 becuase of Covid affects (e.g. lost of contracts)... and I traveled ALLOT that year.....

I just don't subscribe to Joe Public reacting so strongly to all the 'recession hype' and growing scared.... The media hypes these becuase, well, bad news sells.... In the US, in the aftermath since 9/11, politicians, the wealthy and the media alike have really figured out that if you scare the US public enough they are easily bent to your will.. When the economy slows.... well... make sensible cutbacks, but don't stop making the best use of your time by traveling.... Why stay at home, plugged into the television, and feeling miserable and afraid just becuase politicians, the wealthy and the media tell you that you should be..... Foolish...

People need to start traveling... they need to get their families on vacation.... damn the politicians just becuase the economic growth has slipped -1% for 2 consecutive quarters... and now we have to declare the sky is falling and act afraid.

I hope everybody takes lots of vacations in 2023... I know I will... Maybe I will spend less... but I will still fly...

I have no idea what this means for MH's A380s.... but... I just hate all of this doom and gloom I'm hearing lately....

TC957
Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:38 pm

Fully agree. If people stop reading the Daily Mail that would help with a more positive mindset. There is still a good pent-up demand for holidays and travel in general despite the pound's recent plunge. We see it in the forward bookings in our company. BA sees it thats why all their A380's are back from storage. Even LH, so set against the A380's returning not so long back, are resurrecting some. Maybe IB could take the MH fleet for a steal for EZE, MIA, MEX and JFK flights.

ddye123

Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Just out of curiosity, would the 380 work as a Combi? Paying passengers on top, freight on main deck and passenger baggage below?

Noshow

Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:23 pm

Converting the custom made airline configurations, including floor beams and structure, seems to be too costly. A combi conversion would be even more expensive for some "end of life" product.

Speedy752

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:22 pm

par13del wrote:

The cost is mainly “in context to” alternatives. I believe it was quoted as something like $50M. That means you’re something like 25% of the way to having a brand new a350 or halfway to an A330neo. Capacity for building either isn’t really constrained now, so whether it’s AB or an airline, their money is better spent building an a350 a customer wants than refurbishing an a380 no one does

mrflashjet

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:12 pm

Sadly the 380 is now never going to be the son of the 747 which Airbus had hoped for. The fact that a long haul carrier like MAS are done with the type says a lot about it's future. Remember that politically the Airbus partners have to show some solidarity to keep what planes are left in service. The 380 project is very young in aviation terms and for Britain and Germany to pull the planes from service would look very bad. I will miss the MAS 380's over the London skies, I hated them initially but they grew on me.... Here is a video I found...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndCTz7Hgk0

LaunchDetected

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:18 am

mrflashjet wrote:
Remember that politically the Airbus partners have to show some solidarity to keep what planes are left in service.

Nonsense. Air France and Airbus itself clearly showed that there is no "solidarity" no show.
If BA and LH still use them that's because there is an economical reason behind it.

ScottB

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:24 am

par13del wrote:

The problem in the end is that, as you suggest, it's not economically feasible. The reconfiguration likely does not add enough value over scrap to be a worthwhile undertaking for Airbus.

I don't think that's really a contributor to the demise of A380, though. After all, airlines were already parking A380s before Covid hit. The real issue is that smaller airliners with comparable or better unit costs entered the market, and outside of a handful of severely constrained airports like LHR or DXB, airlines can be more profitable with a greater number of frequencies on smaller aircraft. Certain airlines (like MH) probably should have never ordered the A380.

77west

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:51 am

ddye123 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, would the 380 work as a Combi? Paying passengers on top, freight on main deck and passenger baggage below?

Not allowed AFAIK. Not after the SAA 747 Helderberg crash. Would probably require extensive modification to be compliant.

evanb

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:42 am

jfk777 wrote:
BA is going to have to refurbish their A380 with the new Club suite Business Class seats. The seats their A380 fleet and 787-8/9 fleets have in J class are the older opposite facing seats.

Switching seats is far less costly than the broader refurbishments that would be required to bring the MH A380s on board. Totally different type of refurbishment.

NWAROOSTER

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:59 am

Airbus probably is taking Malaysian's six A380s as it allows Airbus to produce twenty A330-900 aircraft that Airbus would not be manufacturing. Malaysian possibly owns them and can not sell them and would loose money scraping or storing them. Airbus possibly is giving Malaysian less than scrap value so Airbus can sell Malaysian additional aircraft. What Airbus intends to do with them is anyone's guess :old:

Joshu

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:11 am

Prost wrote:

Ah, Capitalism.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos