Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

oneworld moving global headquarters to Fort Worth, Texas

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:03 pm

The oneworld Alliance has announced they are moving headquarters from New York City to the American Airlines campus in Ft. Worth Texas.

The alliance which originally was based in Vancouver Canada relocated to NYC in 2011.

The move is expected to be effective starting in December.

oneworld global headquarters to relocate to Fort Worth, Texas
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-10-1 ... orth-Texas

drdisque

Re: oneworld moving global headquarters to Fort Worth, Texas

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:20 pm

Probably not a popular move with the OneWorld carriers who don't fly to DFW. Particularly CX, AT, and RJ fly to JFK but not DFW.

Probably not that big of deal though.

UPlog

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:31 pm

Outside of some potential PR/prestige reasons not sure why bother be based in costly and difficult city like NYC.

I am sure colocating on the AA campus makes good business sense for the alliance. For staff, they probably will get nice instant raise thanks to no tax Texas and where their income will go much farther than NYC.

For travel, DFW is well connected to many corners of the world, so should not be a logistical challenge.

Arion640

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:53 pm

London would be a better location above anything.

11725Flyer

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:53 pm

Does anyone know how many employees will be relocating?

Malayil

Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:12 pm

Dallas is huge but an extremely boring place. Feel sorry for the employees.

davidjohnson6

Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:12 pm

Moving OneWorld's HQ to the same city as one of the major airlines in the alliance is probably a bad idea. It means OneWorld will (or at least be perceived by other airlines) end up giving more attention to American than other airlines. At the very least, OneWorld employees are likely to end up spending a lot more time with AA employees, and by default end up favouring the people who they know well - i.e. AA employees. OneWorld is not meant to be just American and its buddies.

OneWorld should have its HQ in a city which is not dominated by any of its member airlines, so as to retain not just its independence of all airlines, but also avoid any suspicion of giving special favours to one airline

mercure1

Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:16 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Moving OneWorld's HQ to the same city as one of the major airlines in the alliance is probably a bad idea. It means OneWorld will (or at least be perceived by other airlines) end up giving more attention to American than other airlines. At the very least, OneWorld employees are likely to end up spending a lot more time with AA employees, and by default end up favouring the people who they know well - i.e. AA employees. OneWorld is not meant to be just American and its buddies.

OneWorld should have its HQ in a city which is not dominated by any of its member airlines, so as to retain not just its independence of all airlines, but also avoid any suspicion of giving special favours to one airline

If you remember when OW was founded they based it in Vancouver, home of Canadian. They moved it to NYC after Air Canada took over. I understand in NYC, OW was colocated with AA, BA and JL regional HQ teams.

But being based in an alliance partner home town is nothing new. Star is in Frankfurt and ST are in Amsterdam.

usflyer msp

Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:34 pm

mercure1 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

If you remember when OW was founded they based it in Vancouver, home of Canadian. They moved it to NYC after Air Canada took over. I understand in NYC, OW was colocated with AA, BA and JL regional HQ teams.

But being based in an alliance partner home town is nothing new. Star is in Frankfurt and ST are in Amsterdam.

Yeah, I do t see the big deal either. AA is probably giving them free office space and oneworld has like 10 employees. A CEO, some marketing folks and some IT folks. That is it.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:20 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Being next to AA, is viewed as a benefit to the alliance per their press release statements.

oneworld CEO Rob Gurney:
“As our industry recovers from COVID-19, alliances and partnerships have continued to deepen. With our new home in Fort Worth, we anticipate even closer collaboration with American and our member airlines as we work side by side to further grow and strengthen oneworld.”

oneworld Chairman Akbar Al Baker:
“It is a significant step to relocate our oneworld global headquarters to the state-of-the-art Robert L. Crandall Campus to be close to American Airlines, one of our founder members. Its home hub at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport is one of the largest airports in our alliance and serviced by eight members, demonstrating its unrivalled connectivity and importance to travellers as a global hub.”

tullamarine

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:43 pm

Post-pandemic, with many people working from home and for a business like Oneworld which is not actually customer facing at all, I'm surprised they need a head office of any size. Most of what their staff would do could be done with a laptop and a Teams connection and the staff could be located basically anywhere.

jetblueguy22

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:53 pm

Lot of people gunning for the dumbest comment of the day award.

Would have expected Doha considering Qatar Airways is basically making the alliance their own.

PHLspecial

Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:05 pm

I will give it 5 - 10 years until Oneworld HQ moves to Doha for tax reasons.

LightChop2Chop

Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:18 pm

Well AA is building a nice posh company "hotel" on campus. I am sure that this will be open those there on OW biz.

usflyer msp

Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:23 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

What income does oneworld have to pay taxes on? It is basically a nonprofit.

USAirALB

Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:33 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Exactly my thinking...it isn't like Oneworld is a major for-profit corporation with income. It's irrelevant to where their HQ is.

How many employees does OW actually have on payroll that aren't directly employed with an OW alliance carrier?
Last edited by USAirALB on Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SL1200MK2

Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:35 pm

UPlog wrote:
Outside of some potential PR/prestige reasons not sure why bother be based in costly and difficult city like NYC.

I am sure colocating on the AA campus makes good business sense for the alliance. For staff, they probably will get nice instant raise thanks to no tax Texas and where their income will go much farther than NYC.

For travel, DFW is well connected to many corners of the world, so should not be a logistical challenge.

Possibly, but I’ve also noticed many companies making pay adjustments based on location. They may be getting the same pay, relatively speaking.

DFW17L

Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:34 am

They’ll find their new home a kind and welcoming place.

IceCream

Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:26 am

It's probably smart for them to move to Dallas. Definitely cheaper and closer to one of their (if not the) largest airline member.

PHLspecial

Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:38 am

USAirALB wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Exactly my thinking...it isn't like Oneworld is a major for-profit corporation with income. It's irrelevant to where their HQ is.

How many employees does OW actually have on payroll that aren't directly employed with an OW alliance carrier?

Yes they are non-profit but the employees would have to pay local income taxes. HQ location would be for power reasons and I would guess AA has a lot of say in OW.

OA412

Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:42 am

Please post on topic

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:42 am

How big is oneworld HQ headcount and what purpose does HQ serve?

travaz

Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:41 pm

I am going to assume that expenses for OW are paid by the member Airlines on a percentage basis, based on airline size. I can't imagine that the OW staff does much more than some accounting and Marketing. I don't ever remember seeing any direct marketing for stand alone OW. Does OW have a say in scheduling?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos