Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ropsten
Topic Author

British Airways new typeface ?

Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:35 pm

British Airways has launched a new advertising campaign named « A British Original » celebrating travel and the original reasons behind every trip.

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/british-airways-uncommon/

What strikes me is that this campaign uses a different typeface for the « British Airways » brand logo than the one introduced in 1997

Does this indicate British Airways is about to refresh its branding ?

Cheers,

Ropsten

airzona11

Re: British Airways new typeface ?

Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Good catch. I kind of like it, but for sure a modern typeface.

PANAMsterdam

Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:48 pm

I saw an ad on British Channel 4 from BA with this exact same new typeface. First update since 1997 I think?

panam330

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:06 pm

As long as they don’t screw up the livery, it looks like a nice update to me. It didn’t necessarily need it, IMO, but I’m not sad to see a freshener.

ACCS300

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:13 pm

Great update! The former typeface was dating the entire brand.

questions

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:29 pm

Placement of the speedmark relative to “British Airways” appears to be new as well. Previously, the speedmark was above and to the right, as if cantilevered.

The placement in this advertisement is distinctly above, centered and much larger relative to the font size of “British Airways.” Said another way, previously “British Airways” and the speedmark worked together. In this example, the speedmark has more prominence than “British Airways.”

ACCS300

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:33 pm

Not to mention a new tagline as well.

AMP44

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:57 pm

I wouldn't get too excited about a livery refresh or a slight rebrand, it could be a one off for the new campaign.

The font of the "British Airways" text is Mylius Modern Bold, BA's corporate font for ages now. Because of the Speedmarque and "British Airways" text are not together, then it's not covered under their applications section of the guidelines. Thus they can get away with using Mylius Modern and not break their own guidelines. The Speedmarque has been used as a standalone icon for BA in recent designs.

It could be the case that they switch the font of their logotype, but that doesn't mean the livery will be updated. Turkish Airlines updated their logotype font and colour in 2019 but the livery remained unchanged with the old font and blue colour.

usdcaguy

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:59 pm

Not a bad idea, but it's hard to say that's any better than the current font and logo. What I like about the current font is that it preserves the typeface from the early '90s, which had the best logo anyway. If the speedline is located farther above the name, what will it look like in places where there is less space, say in a list of airline names or on the website, which hasn't changed? Will be interesting to see.

BDKLEZ

Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:29 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Not a bad idea, but it's hard to say that's any better than the current font and logo. What I like about the current font is that it preserves the typeface from the early '90s, which had the best logo anyway. If the speedline is located farther above the name, what will it look like in places where there is less space, say in a list of airline names or on the website, which hasn't changed? Will be interesting to see.

Just a small anecdote, as an ex BD employee, I remember that BA spent more only on re-designing the speedline than we did rebranding the entire company. Back on topic, I like it, it's very modern. However, I also have no issues with the previous typeface in that BA is a legacy brand and wants to represent itself as such. Yes it's getting on for almost 30 years since the last revision, but it still remains a solid recognisable and classic brand. Compare that with EI, for example.

questions

Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:44 pm

There are plenty of news articles about the ad campaign. However none of them mention a rebranding.

For example:
https://www.adweek.com/creativity/why-british-airways-created-more-than-500-unique-ads-to-restore-brand-love/

Interestingly, the campaign is built around the reasons people fly vs the reasons why people should fly British Airways. The campaign comes across as an ad for the airline industry.

It will be interesting how well the campaign resonates with the target and, most importantly, drives revenue and higher margins.

PANAMsterdam

Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:37 pm

Also, new name confirmed :biggrin:

sandyb123

Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:50 pm

Website is still the old (current?) type face.

Sandyb123

Shrewfly

Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:17 pm

Looks a lot like the font used by the original British Railways.... Gill Sans I think?

If it is the same, its truly a timeless font!

Chrisgoodwin82

Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:24 pm

I think I'm the only person who doesn't like the BA livery. I think it's fast becoming out dated. I find the tail a bit naff and cheap looking and I'll be honest I'm not sure why.

I don't see a new livery on the cards for at least 10 years.

Ideally I'd like them to bring back the landor livery!

TWA772LR

Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:46 pm

Chrisgoodwin82 wrote:
I think I'm the only person who doesn't like the BA livery. I think it's fast becoming out dated. I find the tail a bit naff and cheap looking and I'll be honest I'm not sure why.

In contrast, I love the BA livery. But I do agree that it is due for a refresh. I still think it's representative of the UK and timeless.

And Landor was one of the classiest airline liveries of all time.

JannEejit

Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:53 pm

Well they "indicated" the shift from Landor to Utopia with a subtle change to their bespoke typeface and then some oddball 'de-Landored' liveries on freshly delivered aircraft. I guess if that starts happening again then something new is in the offing ? If you look at the timescale of Utopia/Chatham, it's well outlasted the previous Landor and Negus schemes by a country mile. Therefore a new look is well overdue. And frankly, it's about time.

Crosswind

Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:56 pm

questions wrote:
There are plenty of news articles about the ad campaign. However none of them mention a rebranding.

For example:
https://www.adweek.com/creativity/why-british-airways-created-more-than-500-unique-ads-to-restore-brand-love/

Interestingly, the campaign is built around the reasons people fly vs the reasons why people should fly British Airways. The campaign comes across as an ad for the airline industry.

It will be interesting how well the campaign resonates with the target and, most importantly, drives revenue and higher margins.

No rebranding, for a good number of years BAs digital brand identity has been diverging to be subtly different to their aircraft and physical/print brand identify. Different colours and speedmarque used, and the digital font on many applications is also not completely new… been showing up on IFE screens onboard etc.

It’s all about improving how the visual appearance of the brand in digital applications that it pre-dates, not a rebranding as such.

Vasu

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:10 pm

Seems messy though, having slightly different logos in use on digital & physical mediums.

Shrewfly

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:28 pm

It really is the British Railways font isnt it? If not, its very similar

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:41 pm

The current font is interesting as it isn’t a proper serif font, but definitely isn’t sans serif. Semi-serif? Serif fonts were everywhere in the late 80s/early-mid 90s, so when BA adopted that font it did look very modern and ‘clean’. Now though it looks dated compared to the trend of sans serif fonts. If BA were to subtilely update their word mark to a sans serif font it would modernise the entire brand and aircraft livery.

garpd

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:47 pm

I certainly hope this doesn't mean a complete rebrand. That Speedmarque is beautiful and, in my opinion, timeless. And the Mylius font they use is very elegant. I am honoured to have a copy of it on my computer. Not sure I remember where I got it from though. Probably a project I did at some point that required it's use. But it is handy when I'm asked to illustrate something using the BA branding.

GSPSPOT

Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:33 pm

Chrisgoodwin82 wrote:

Yes, yes and YES!

skipness1E

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:00 am

Chrisgoodwin82 wrote:

How can you criticise the current Chatham
livery for being outdated and suggest bringing back Landor, which classy as it was, was agreed to be well outdated by 1997!! I loved Landor but it's so 1980s, it really is of it's day whereas as the current one still looks fresh IMHO.

It's a new agency, I suspect they didn't quite get the brand guidance correct....

questions

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:23 am

skipness1E wrote:
Chrisgoodwin82 wrote:

How can you criticise the current Chatham
livery for being outdated and suggest bringing back Landor, which classy as it was, was agreed to be well outdated by 1997!! I loved Landor but it's so 1980s, it really is of it's day whereas as the current one still looks fresh IMHO.

It's a new agency, I suspect they didn't quite get the brand guidance correct....

“… they didn't quite get the brand guidance correct…”

In their business, that is inexcusable. There is no way they missed on brand guidance. Plus, it would have been caught internally. The agency does not work in a vacuum (Hoover?).

DalDC9Bos

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:28 am

Just took a quick look at their US mobile webpage and the words, ‘British Airways’ are no where to be found in key/typical branding areas. In process of updating? The speedmarque sits alone on the top. The font of the body of the pages seem to be using this updated version.

I’m liking the new font and arrangement of the speedmarque. It feels refreshed in a subtle way and more regal with a modern tone.

questions

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:34 am

Crosswind wrote:
questions wrote:

For example:

No rebranding, for a good number of years BAs digital brand identity has been diverging to be subtly different to their aircraft and physical/print brand identify. Different colours and speedmarque used, and the digital font on many applications is also not completely new… been showing up on IFE screens onboard etc.

It’s all about improving how the visual appearance of the brand in digital applications that it pre-dates, not a rebranding as such.

Yet, this example is on a billboard, not digital format.

BA may be refreshing some elements of their branding. Not a full scale re-branding.

We may also be seeing a soft launch across various media as various elements are refreshed. This approach would not be unique to BA. The livery may remain as is, without a refresh.

I doubt BA would maintain inconsistent and divergent branding elements across other applications, not livery related, for long.

Antaras

Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:30 pm

Alongside the potential new typeface, I would suggest that BA should modify its belly-coloring line, just like what KL and VN have done:
(Of course, slight changes on typefaces and color schemes were also used in the new liveries of KL and VN, but practically the old color recognition and branding were still kept)

Most importantly, this method doesn't require a significant change in the branding and the overall livery design (overall, it will not lead to a "full-scale rebranding" as concerned by the above posts), meanwhile, it is still able to introduce a refreshment to the design. Besides that, it will look sexxier on new airframes such as the 350 and 787, and they are definitely deserving better or more-suitable livery designs, don't they? :roll:

Vasu

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:19 pm

garpd wrote:
I certainly hope this doesn't mean a complete rebrand. That Speedmarque is beautiful and, in my opinion, timeless. And the Mylius font they use is very elegant. I am honoured to have a copy of it on my computer. Not sure I remember where I got it from though. Probably a project I did at some point that required it's use. But it is handy when I'm asked to illustrate something using the BA branding.

I wonder if it’s how I got hold of Mylius… BA used to have a downloadable .exe timetable probably around 20 years ago. When you installed the timetable, Mylius ended up in your font library!

smi0006

Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:46 am

Antaras wrote:
Alongside the potential new typeface, I would suggest that BA should modify its belly-coloring line, just like what KL and VN have done:
(Of course, slight changes on typefaces and color schemes were also used in the new liveries of KL and VN, but practically the old color recognition and branding were still kept)

Most importantly, this method doesn't require a significant change in the branding and the overall livery design (overall, it will not lead to a "full-scale rebranding" as concerned by the above posts), meanwhile, it is still able to introduce a refreshment to the design. Besides that, it will look sexxier on new airframes such as the 350 and 787, and they are definitely deserving better or more-suitable livery designs, don't they? :roll:

Oh agreed! Good idea. I would also say up close the tail looks very cartoonish with the grey dots used for shading - not sure of the correct term for that effect?

I do think BA may do a brand refresh in the coming years. Their economy cabin could do with some tone. And work on cabin fittings, carpets etc- like AA have done with their new cabins. And new uniforms are coming - why not wrap it all up?

But someone whose bay BA lost for 11weeks abs 20weeks later they still fob my off as being too busy to assign a claims manager - they need get their house in order before they even consider a rebrand or it will be a waste!

LUKAS10

Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:41 am

smi0006 wrote:
Antaras wrote:

Oh agreed! Good idea. I would also say up close the tail looks very cartoonish with the grey dots used for shading - not sure of the correct term for that effect?

I do think BA may do a brand refresh in the coming years. Their economy cabin could do with some tone. And work on cabin fittings, carpets etc- like AA have done with their new cabins. And new uniforms are coming - why not wrap it all up?

But someone whose bay BA lost for 11weeks abs 20weeks later they still fob my off as being too busy to assign a claims manager - they need get their house in order before they even consider a rebrand or it will be a waste!

I don't know why should BA change its recognisable, classy and beautiful livery. They should change the branding but not the livery.

bunumuring

Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:18 am

Hey guys,
I am a rusted-on fan of Utopia/World Images... And think that while Landor is great, it certainly is out-dated! Chatham is simple and classy.
The (possible) new typeface is so so so British, and I am sure that Mark Ovendem is licking his lips at writing a book about this change! It does look like a classic British rail typeface. Classy and harking back to a more 'golden age' of Britain.
To me, the speed marque also looks slightly different.... Colour, shape, 'texture'.....
And yes, the 'interim' colourscheme adopted between Landor and Utopia could Be the precedent for a change right now. Titles changed first and then ....
Take care,
Bunumuring

cedarjet

Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:27 am

What’s interesting is that the Chatham Historic Dockyards livery was adopted in a rush, it’s simply the Utopia livery that was intended just for Concorde and applied fleet wide to appease Mrs Thatcher and a few other naysayers, and yet it has gone on to become BA’s most durable livery by far, as Negus and Landor barely lasted a decade each while Chatham is celebrating a quarter of a century.

And it’s definitely my favourite. Never understood the Landor love, grey top looked dirty under cloudy English skies and the crest (which actually looks good on the white fuselage next to the titles on the Chatham) was cheesy and embarrassing.

tjwgrr

Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:49 am

Hand’s down the BOAC livery was the best in the company’s history.

absolutelyAN

Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:58 am

Noticed the other day they have ‘A British Original’ adverts on the radio in Sydney now too.

I get that it may be an evolution of the brand.
Similar to the tweaks that Qantas has done over the last 30 years with their livery and fonts etc.

CarbonFibre

Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:20 am

Please, no drunk painter style KLM livery.

airlinepeanuts

Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:37 pm

I make all my travel plans based on the typeface of a brand!

lew01

Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:56 pm

My hope / suggestion for any livery change would be a tweak like this:

Perhaps the tail could do with an upgrade too - but I was lost for ideas on that!

CDGIAD

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:09 pm

lew01 wrote:

Perhaps the tail could do with an upgrade too - but I was lost for ideas on that!

The typeface changes the overall aspect more than I thought.
Could you try moving up the flag pattern on the tail?
So that the bottom red part doesn't touch the fuselage and "flies off" the tail.

PANAMsterdam

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:18 pm

lew01 wrote:

I hope BA will finally change the blue tongue with red lips-tail. The lines of the British Flag are quite well suited to be put on a tail.

Cdydatzigs

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:09 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:

Wasn't that done to accomidate the lines of the 787?

RyanairGuru

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:29 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:

I’m glad I’m not the only person who always thought that looked like a mistake rather than a conscious brand decision!

Fuling

Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:18 am

Cdydatzigs wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

Wasn't that done to accomidate the lines of the 787?

I believe so, which is why United and EVA went the same way with their 787.

Metchalus

Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:31 am

https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/ ... ls/142445#

I alway really like this special livery.
Extending the Union Flag down the tail till to meet the rest of the paint behind the wing fuselage and painting it and the ribbon red and darker blue and I think it could look quite stunning.

Especially in daylight. The engines might look better in a dark blue or red.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos