Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
BearatoneSEA
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 pm

usxguy wrote:
Alaska is moving to T8 in March.


While I hope that's true, I'll certainly miss Alaska's lounge in T7. Hopefully they'll work it out with AA for lounge access in T8.

(I was on the inaugural SEA-JFK flight a few years ago, and we did indeed come into T8, which is a lot nicer experience than the cramped feeling of T7).
 
RollerRB211
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:27 am

avianca707359b wrote:
EMB170 wrote:
Now that T2 and T7 are going away (and there will be a new T6), might it not be time for PANYNJ to update the terminal numbering as well? They'd have T1, T4, T5, T6, T8...

Better system:
OLD NEW
T1 --->T1 (or T-A, like EWR/LGA)
T4 --->T2 (or T-B)
T5 --->T3 (or T-C)
T6 (prop) --->T4 (or T-D)
T8 --->T5 (or T-E)


I vote for new-T1 > to "Terminal A", old-T4 to "Terminal B", old-T5 to "Terminal C", new-T6 to "Terminal D" and old-T8 to "Terminal E".

This keeps them in physical order, as well as removing any historical reference to older and long-gone terminals......
In my 61 year old mind T1 will always be "Northeast / Braniff / Northwest", T2 = "Eastern Airlines", T3 = "PanAm Worldport", T4 = "The IAB", T5 = "TWA Flight Center", T6 = "National Airlines Sundrome", T7 = "BOAC / Air Canada", and T8 = "American Airlines".

Wow, do I feel old......


Don't forget United's T9
 
B757capt
Posts: 1422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:11 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:01 am

Alaska launched JFK operations from T8 then moved to T7 with the VX merger. Glad to hear they are going back to T8.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:08 am

Richard28 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:
Interestingly, BA has never flown the A380 to Australia either. Only LHR-SIN terminators got the A380, LHR-SIN-SYD was a mix of 70/86J 744s, 77Ws and I think 789s.

Not even 86J 744. It was LHR-BKK-SYD on 744 and LHR-SIN-SYD on 772ER.

When they pulled out of BKK-SYD tag they switched SIN-SYD tag to 77W. At that time the 86J config did not even exist IIRC. 787-9 is a more recent/COVID thing.

Michael


LHR-SIN-SYD was a B744 back in 2001. I flew on it (BA15/16)


I think it was 747 until the QF partnership with EK (2013)?
 
PilotJAY16
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:49 am

usflyer msp wrote:
One thing I would like to see is JFK consolidate gate #'s. I am just very annoyed that there are 5 gates called "gate 5"' at JFK and imagine it must confuse the public sometimes. The gates at T1 should be 1XX, T4 is 4XX,T5 is 5XX, T6 is 6XX and T8 is 8XX - much simpler.


I agree and I wish they would rename the terminals to T1-T5 instead of T1, T4, T5, T6 and T8
 
ContinentalEWR
Topic Author
Posts: 5742
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:23 pm

BearatoneSEA wrote:
usxguy wrote:
Alaska is moving to T8 in March.


While I hope that's true, I'll certainly miss Alaska's lounge in T7. Hopefully they'll work it out with AA for lounge access in T8.

(I was on the inaugural SEA-JFK flight a few years ago, and we did indeed come into T8, which is a lot nicer experience than the cramped feeling of T7).


The Alaska Lounge at JFK T7 was nice when it opened but not so much any more. Was there a few weeks ago while traveling to SEA and found it crowded, not very clean, and the quality and quantity of food, subpar.

Does anyone know if AS will have a lounge of its own at T8 eventually?
 
User avatar
OceanAir
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:05 pm

There’s a lot of confusion and conflicting information about what is happening to T7.

SAS just announced CPH-JFK operating out of T7…

So maybe LO, FI and NH will stay?

LO is anchor tenant at new terminal one. I’d imagine they don’t want to move again before that’s ready. And T7 to themselves plus a neighbor or two until then? Sounds spacious actually.

The plot thickens…
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 9470
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:01 pm

jrfspa320 wrote:
Richard28 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
Not even 86J 744. It was LHR-BKK-SYD on 744 and LHR-SIN-SYD on 772ER.

When they pulled out of BKK-SYD tag they switched SIN-SYD tag to 77W. At that time the 86J config did not even exist IIRC. 787-9 is a more recent/COVID thing.

Michael


LHR-SIN-SYD was a B744 back in 2001. I flew on it (BA15/16)


I think it was 747 until the QF partnership with EK (2013)?


LHR-SIN-SYD was indeed a 772 along side a 744 LHR-BKK-SYD during the late 00s/early 10s. Not sure when it switched from a 744 to 772. However, I thought that BKK was dropped before the QF-EK JV, and that SIN went back to a 747 for the final 12 months or so of the QF-BA JV? I could be wrong about that.

The rest was correct. It was a 77W from the termination of the QF-BA JV until Covid, was a 789 for NS22 after it restarted in March this year, and is now back to 77W.
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:34 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
LHR-SIN-SYD was indeed a 772 along side a 744 LHR-BKK-SYD during the late 00s/early 10s. Not sure when it switched from a 744 to 772. However, I thought that BKK was dropped before the QF-EK JV, and that SIN went back to a 747 for the final 12 months or so of the QF-BA JV? I could be wrong about that.

The rest was correct. It was a 77W from the termination of the QF-BA JV until Covid, was a 789 for NS22 after it restarted in March this year, and is now back to 77W.


Timeline seems about right. The axing if the BKK-SYD flight was announced about a year before the JV was signed. It was axed in early 2012, the JV was signed towards the end of 2012 and the last 747 departure was sometime in early 2013.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11875
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:01 am

OceanAir wrote:
There’s a lot of confusion and conflicting information about what is happening to T7.

SAS just announced CPH-JFK operating out of T7…

So maybe LO, FI and NH will stay?

LO is anchor tenant at new terminal one. I’d imagine they don’t want to move again before that’s ready. And T7 to themselves plus a neighbor or two until then? Sounds spacious actually.

The plot thickens…


Everyone on here acts as if Terminal 7 is closing up shop entirely tomorrow and is being torn down next week. It's not closing for several years.
 
smi0006
Posts: 3200
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:55 am

Does AA own or lease T8 and sublease to other carriers, or purely a tenant themselves? Which GHA operate in T8 and is AA the only lounge operator? Just trying to understand their position as dominant carrier, or landlord.

I assume BA has their own front of staff staff that will simply move across to T8? With everyone outsourcing with local management only?
 
avianca707359b
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:59 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:06 pm

RollerRB211 wrote:
avianca707359b wrote:

I vote for new-T1 > to "Terminal A", old-T4 to "Terminal B", old-T5 to "Terminal C", new-T6 to "Terminal D" and old-T8 to "Terminal E".

This keeps them in physical order, as well as removing any historical reference to older and long-gone terminals......
In my 61 year old mind T1 will always be "Northeast / Braniff / Northwest", T2 = "Eastern Airlines", T3 = "PanAm Worldport", T4 = "The IAB", T5 = "TWA Flight Center", T6 = "National Airlines Sundrome", T7 = "BOAC / Air Canada", and T8 = "American Airlines".

Wow, do I feel old......


Don't forget United's T9


OMG, yes, United's Terminal 9! I have no memories of flying through or visiting this terminal but I do remember some DC-8's at their gates while I was a passenger on taxiing aircraft.
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 2415
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:13 pm

BA tribute to Terminal 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqKKmA-5py0

Anyone know about the ticket counter setup at the 0:17 time marker? Was this something BA (BOAC) tried early on? Looks like the UA-style 1960's walk-through ticket counters.
 
chonetsao
Posts: 1262
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:27 pm

I was in T8 few days ago, I notice there were only 2 new gates constructed which was gate 16 and gate 18. In many news release it said T8 will have 5 new gates constructed. Judging by the current completed construction I wonder if the news release was referring to 5 stands (2 contact gates and 3 remote stands opposite the new gates) rather than 5 gates. Because there is no way T8 can add another 3 contact gates without modification to the satellite terminal and the taxi ways.

That also makes me wonder if there are enough space in T8. Of course AA had reduced so many frequency in JFK, there should be enough gates. Yet I felt sad AA may never return to its previous size in JFK.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 5318
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:20 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
BA tribute to Terminal 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqKKmA-5py0

Anyone know about the ticket counter setup at the 0:17 time marker? Was this something BA (BOAC) tried early on? Looks like the UA-style 1960's walk-through ticket counters.

Am I right in thinking that BA outsourced every member of long serving staff in this video to a 3rd party? DNATA handle BA now?
 
United857
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:37 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:27 am

chonetsao wrote:
I was in T8 few days ago, I notice there were only 2 new gates constructed which was gate 16 and gate 18. In many news release it said T8 will have 5 new gates constructed. Judging by the current completed construction I wonder if the news release was referring to 5 stands (2 contact gates and 3 remote stands opposite the new gates) rather than 5 gates. Because there is no way T8 can add another 3 contact gates without modification to the satellite terminal and the taxi ways.

That also makes me wonder if there are enough space in T8. Of course AA had reduced so many frequency in JFK, there should be enough gates. Yet I felt sad AA may never return to its previous size in JFK.

The other 3 widebody gates are where the former Eagle RJ gates are located on the satellite concourse. Those RJ gates have been consolidated into 3 widebody gates.
 
mysterzip
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:46 am

skipness1E wrote:
Am I right in thinking that BA outsourced every member of long serving staff in this video to a 3rd party? DNATA handle BA now?


Under the wing, dnata. Allegedly will be using Swissport after the contract is done with dnata. Above the wing, all “first” party except lounges.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 5318
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:21 am

mysterzip wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Am I right in thinking that BA outsourced every member of long serving staff in this video to a 3rd party? DNATA handle BA now?


Under the wing, dnata. Allegedly will be using Swissport after the contract is done with dnata. Above the wing, all “first” party except lounges.

I thought BA no longer employed any ground staff in the US? Didn't Accenture Alex outsource the whole lot in a cost cutting move?
 
Rogers99
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:42 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:31 am

 
AmericanAir88
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:05 am

asuflyer wrote:
T8 will be awfully crowded at times especially in the evening rush. I do hope AA has thought this through. The security checkpoint situation is not ideal. Alaska is actually returning to T8, when they first started flying to JFK from SEA in 2015, pre VX merger, they flew from T8.


T8 has a decently sized security facility, but they never have all the lanes open. Pre never has a line, but shoving everyone else into one lane like they usually do won’t work.

AA doesn’t usually pack the terminal. Back in 2011 yes, but the check-in and gate areas aren’t that busy. The new OW will be much needed for the terminal. It is glad to see AA ramp up service at JFK too within the last year. (Bring back JFK-LAS). It will be great to see a crowded check in area again, because that space is huge.
 
AmericanAir88
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:12 am

What else improved at T8 besides adding new gates?

I remember reading when construction started:
Baggage Handling System, concessions, clubs, and general QOL improvements.

Has that been implemented? Haven’t seen anything regarding the Bag System but maybe they are working on it down there. I visit T8 very frequently and I did notice the improved restrooms on the Satellite.
 
ContinentalEWR
Topic Author
Posts: 5742
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:35 pm

chonetsao wrote:
I was in T8 few days ago, I notice there were only 2 new gates constructed which was gate 16 and gate 18. In many news release it said T8 will have 5 new gates constructed. Judging by the current completed construction I wonder if the news release was referring to 5 stands (2 contact gates and 3 remote stands opposite the new gates) rather than 5 gates. Because there is no way T8 can add another 3 contact gates without modification to the satellite terminal and the taxi ways.

That also makes me wonder if there are enough space in T8. Of course AA had reduced so many frequency in JFK, there should be enough gates. Yet I felt sad AA may never return to its previous size in JFK.


American is actually busier than it has been in a long time, at JFK, though with a lot of shifts, drops, and additions, but that does not really mean much when compared to DL and B6, both of which do the same, though obviously have much larger operations. Just prior to the pandemic, AA was running about 75 flights a day at JFK. It is now in the 120 range.
 
Rogers99
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:42 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:49 pm

 
ContinentalEWR
Topic Author
Posts: 5742
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Rogers99 wrote:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/11/29/new-british-airways-lounges-new-york-jfk-terminal-8/

Official photos. More to come


Looks really nice. Having skimmed the article, I might have missed it, but seems a bit strange that BA doesn't have a BA branded lounge there, but I guess that's the point of co-locating.

BA started moving more than a week ago. IB and Level move over 12/01. JL in May.
 
Rogers99
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:42 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:15 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Rogers99 wrote:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/11/29/new-british-airways-lounges-new-york-jfk-terminal-8/

Official photos. More to come


Looks really nice. Having skimmed the article, I might have missed it, but seems a bit strange that BA doesn't have a BA branded lounge there, but I guess that's the point of co-locating.

BA started moving more than a week ago. IB and Level move over 12/01. JL in May.

The lounges are co branded and are given names of neighbourhoods that exist in both london and New York:

Soho lounge
Greenwich lounge
Chelsea Lounge

Official BA press release

https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/ ... ails/14339
 
AmericanAir88
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:08 pm

What is the new lounge situation at T8

We have: Soho, Greenwich, and Chelsea for BA/AA Premium Travel/Status.

What happens to the flagship and admiral clubs?

I assume the Admirals Club is staying at the one in Concourse C (above the escalators to the underground walkway).
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 9470
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:26 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:
What is the new lounge situation at T8

We have: Soho, Greenwich, and Chelsea for BA/AA Premium Travel/Status.

What happens to the flagship and admiral clubs?

I assume the Admirals Club is staying at the one in Concourse C (above the escalators to the underground walkway).


I was wondering the same. Presumably the BA/AA co-lounges are only for AA international passengers, and AA domestic passengers still use the Admirals Club? The new lounges will be incredibly crowded if all AA passengers can use them. And do other international partner airlines, such as CX and QF, also use the new lounges, or continue using the Admirals Club? I’d assume they use the new ones as well. The Flagship lounge will probably go now, as First Class international use the Chelsea lounge, while Flagship First Class is being scrapped on premium transcon flights.
 
panamair
Posts: 4547
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:11 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:
What is the new lounge situation at T8

We have: Soho, Greenwich, and Chelsea for BA/AA Premium Travel/Status.

What happens to the flagship and admiral clubs?

I assume the Admirals Club is staying at the one in Concourse C (above the escalators to the underground walkway).


FWIW, based on the photos, the Greenwich lounge is the former AA Flagship lounge in the main T8 terminal.
 
Qantas59
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 pm

The press release mentions five new wide body gates. Are all of these in the concourse B, gate 14 and 16 area or combined with the new wide body gates in the former American Eagle area in concourse B, gate 31?
 
B757capt
Posts: 1422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:11 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:23 am

smi0006 wrote:
Does AA own or lease T8 and sublease to other carriers, or purely a tenant themselves? Which GHA operate in T8 and is AA the only lounge operator? Just trying to understand their position as dominant carrier, or landlord.

I assume BA has their own front of staff staff that will simply move across to T8? With everyone outsourcing with local management only?


AA owns and operates T8 on a 100 year operators/owners lease with first rights and ability to sublet.
 
ContinentalEWR
Topic Author
Posts: 5742
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:41 am

AmericanAir88 wrote:
What is the new lounge situation at T8

We have: Soho, Greenwich, and Chelsea for BA/AA Premium Travel/Status.

What happens to the flagship and admiral clubs?

I assume the Admirals Club is staying at the one in Concourse C (above the escalators to the underground walkway).


The Flagship Lounge remains where it is, but has been rebranded to Greenwich. The Flagship name has already been removed. The Flagship First Dining section has been closed but it remains unclear what will happen to that section. In the past, it was used as a section of the Admiral's Club before the entire area was converted to Flagship.

The Admirals Club on the air-side concourse remains as is, an Admiral's Club, in Concourse C.
 
maverick4002
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:23 am

Will other airlines be using the new gates or is it exclusively BA? With 5 gates and most flights in the afternoon* (right?) will other airlines utilize?

Is there any extended period of time, say 90 mins or more where there isn't a BA plane on the ground at JFK?
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:05 am

maverick4002 wrote:
Will other airlines be using the new gates or is it exclusively BA? With 5 gates and most flights in the afternoon* (right?) will other airlines utilize?

Is there any extended period of time, say 90 mins or more where there isn't a BA plane on the ground at JFK?


All the gates at t8 are common use so all tenants could potentially use the new gates - based upon operational need.
 
AAIRLINERS
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:44 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:11 am

chonetsao wrote:
I was in T8 few days ago, I notice there were only 2 new gates constructed which was gate 16 and gate 18. In many news release it said T8 will have 5 new gates constructed. Judging by the current completed construction I wonder if the news release was referring to 5 stands (2 contact gates and 3 remote stands opposite the new gates) rather than 5 gates. Because there is no way T8 can add another 3 contact gates without modification to the satellite terminal and the taxi ways.

That also makes me wonder if there are enough space in T8. Of course AA had reduced so many frequency in JFK, there should be enough gates. Yet I felt sad AA may never return to its previous size in JFK.



Departed out of gate 20 the other night and came back to gate 18 Sunday morning. A BA triple was sitting on gate 20 at that time.
Gate 16 has always been there with the only new gates 18 and 20. Not so much now but once the summer season hits I think there will be a shortage of gates particularly in the late afternoon early evening. With the exception of eliminating the eagle gates there will be no more room for expansion.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 912
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:25 am

maverick4002 wrote:
Will other airlines be using the new gates or is it exclusively BA? With 5 gates and most flights in the afternoon* (right?) will other airlines utilize?

Is there any extended period of time, say 90 mins or more where there isn't a BA plane on the ground at JFK?


Once BA178 departs in the morning, i dont think there wouldnt be another ba plane until the arrival of BA117 (over 3 hours)
 
AmericanAir88
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:30 am

What is the status with the T8 baggage handling system? They never really talked about it despite it being listed as an upgrade.

Have there been other improvements to the terminal like modernizing/renovation?
 
sixfootscream
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:57 am

Does BA still manage a terminal at JFK?
 
moa999
Posts: 1242
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:04 pm

sixfootscream wrote:
Does BA still manage a terminal at JFK?
They are departing T7 which was the original BOAC/ BA terminal, and will ultimately be demolished in a few years afaik
 
ContinentalEWR
Topic Author
Posts: 5742
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:28 pm

sixfootscream wrote:
Does BA still manage a terminal at JFK?


No. BA's lease was ending anyway, in 2022, and after pouring tens of millions into T7 over the years, most recently in 2019 with the lounge upgrades, it opted to not renew and so the timing of the move to T8 isn't coincidental.
 
avianca707359b
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:59 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:58 pm

crownvic wrote:
As a kid, I remember driving up to the beautiful facade where you saw the welcoming large "B O A C" letters in neon blue at nighttime at T7. One would see VC-10s, Super VC-10s, 707s and 747-100s parked air-side. It's a memory I will never forget.


I have the exact same memories!

As a teenager who lived in Queens, I would take the Q10 bus to JFK and spend an entire Sunday visiting all the terminals and collecting timetables etc. The BOAC terminal was my favorite as it seemed so elegant and classy yet not as "futuristic" as the TWA Flight Center or the PanAm Worldport.

Never flew in a VC-10 but was raised on Avianca 707's and 720B's flying to / from Colombia to visit relatives. My first 747 flight was in a British 747-100.

Those were the days............
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:36 pm

Interested in knowing why Javier Prieto, IB’s CEO was there and part of all the pictures considering IB’s presence is only 2x daily and 1x daily LV.

In addition will we see the amount of connecting passengers from BA/IB/LV to AA increase?
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 967
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:44 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Interested in knowing why Javier Prieto, IB’s CEO was there and part of all the pictures considering IB’s presence is only 2x daily and 1x daily LV.

In addition will we see the amount of connecting passengers from BA/IB/LV to AA increase?


Because IB (and Level who is just IB in other colors) is also moving at the very same date.

Iberia.com already shows some info about the terminal change. IB passengers will be welcomed at
– Admirals Club lounge for Business class and IB Plus Gold (ow Shapphire)
– Flagship lounge for ow Emerald.
Of course being part of ow, they can use the new ones (except for Chelsea as was the case for Concorde Room) but some operational, capacity or finnancial agreements, could drive the reason to direct customers to the existing AA lounges.
 
ContinentalEWR
Topic Author
Posts: 5742
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 2:50 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:29 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Interested in knowing why Javier Prieto, IB’s CEO was there and part of all the pictures considering IB’s presence is only 2x daily and 1x daily LV.

In addition will we see the amount of connecting passengers from BA/IB/LV to AA increase?


Level doesn't fly daily between JFK and BCN. IB's JFK presence has pretty much always been 2 x daily to MAD except during the depths of the pandemic and at one time, they flew their own metal to BCN but that was long ago, under their own brand. Not really unusual for the IB CEO to be present, considering it is a major move involving IB's parent company. The connectivity at JFK under one roof is almost secondary. The NY market for BA, IB, and AA is really about O&D, not so much connections, though there will be flows onto AA flights ex-JFK.
 
Qantas59
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:54 pm

Was BA178 / 1 Dec the last British Airways departure from Terminal 7?
 
mysterzip
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:55 pm

Qantas59 wrote:
Was BA178 / 1 Dec the last British Airways departure from Terminal 7?


BA178 moved to T8 in November as part of a trial. BA182/30 should have been the last to leave T7.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 5318
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: BA Has Begun Terminal Move at JFK, More Airlines To Follow

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:16 pm

mysterzip wrote:
Qantas59 wrote:
Was BA178 / 1 Dec the last British Airways departure from Terminal 7?


BA178 moved to T8 in November as part of a trial. BA182/30 should have been the last to leave T7.

Not quite, I was on the penultimate departure, the BA172 off Gate 10 with G-STBJ, the final departure was to be the BA114 at 2145, which I understand was G-STBL from Gate 5. There was no BA182 on 30-Nov.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos