Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rjbesikof
Topic Author

LATAM adds LAX-GRU

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:20 pm

First DL-LA JV new intl route. Will launch 7/1/2023 and operate 3x weekly on a B77W. I knew that once AA pulled out of LAX-GRU that either DL or LA would add it.
https://www.latamairlines.com/us/en/pre ... es-post-jv

LAXdude1023

Re: LATAM adds LAX-GRU

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:52 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
First DL-LA JV new intl route. Will launch 7/1/2023 and operate 3x weekly on a B77W. I knew that once AA pulled out of LAX-GRU that either DL or LA would add it.

LAX-GRU has had a revolving door of carriers. Here’s the issue: it is a very large O&D market but the fares (especially when adjusted for stage length) are garbage. So you really need a carrier with a low operating cost to make it work. LATAM does leverage a lot of pull so maybe they can do it.

MIflyer12

Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:53 pm

rjbesikof wrote:

As mentioned in a thread about four months ago, DL was operating LAX-GRU with a 767-300. That was before, I believe, AA operated the route pre-Covid.

DL can add some feed to this Latam flight but may prefer routing SEA/PDX/SLC traffic through ATL, anyway. It's a shorting routing, and I don't know if anybody has posted details of revenue sharing in the DL/LA JV.

Anybody have the PDEWs on LAX-GRU? IIRC there just isn't a lot of O&D LAX to deep South America: GRU, GIG, EZE, SCL.

rjbesikof
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:19 pm

When I flew the afternoon LAX-LIM in February 2019 and in summer 2018, both flights left from the bus gates on the north side of TBIT. With intl traffic rebounding, hopefully they find a non-bus gate for the new GRU flight (and of course the LIM flight).

PB26

Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 pm

The dynamics between LAX (West Coast) and GRU (Brazil) changed much in the last 20 years. In 2000 the route was serve twice a daily by RG (763 and MD-11) and seven flights continued to Japan (4x NRT and 3x NGO), a weekly by JL (743 GRU-LAX-NRT-NGO) and 2 weekly GRU-LAX-SEL by Korean's 744. A United had a flight too, GRU-MIA-LAX by 777.

With requirements by US for transit visa and better options by new hubs like DFW, IAH and ATL, the direct flights became less competitive. After 2006, AA, KL and DL tried to make the route lucrative. For a time, KE offered 6x GRU-LAX-ICN with good loads and had deal with DL. After AA entered in the market and the KE pulled out when the Brazilian economy got worst. AA remained in the route, with a smaller plane (B787).

Congrats to LATAM and Delta, I supposed ATL would be launch first.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos