Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
BOSAero
Topic Author
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:32 am

Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 am

Delays anticipated to KOA and ITO for today due to ash cloud.
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:43 pm

So, is there the possibility of closing those airports? Will flights to/from HNL or OGG be affected by this...delays as well?
 
kiowa
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:53 pm

Aircraft will fly around the volcanic ash.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 11770
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:26 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
So, is there the possibility of closing those airports? Will flights to/from HNL or OGG be affected by this...delays as well?


Depends on how big the plume becomes, the direction it spreadsand and how that impinges on HNL/OGG-XXX routes. ATC game-day calls, I believe.
 
777Mech
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:28 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
So, is there the possibility of closing those airports? Will flights to/from HNL or OGG be affected by this...delays as well?


Prevailing winds are usually out of the West, so it's doubtful any airport other than ITO will be affected.

Last check of the METAR at KOA shows winds from 210 at 8.
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:29 pm

It doesn’t say how high the ash cloud is erupting to. It’s been a few hours since the eruption started so when should we expect this information to leak out?
 
User avatar
mga707
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 am

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:30 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
So, is there the possibility of closing those airports? Will flights to/from HNL or OGG be affected by this...delays as well?


Depends on how big the plume becomes, the direction it spreadsand and how that impinges on HNL/OGG-XXX routes. ATC game-day calls, I believe.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but prevailing winds in Hawai'i are normally NE to SW (hence the 'windward' and 'leeward' sides of the five largest islands), so unless the winds are unusual I don't think it should affect airports on the other islands.
 
11C
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:15 pm

Two separate sigmets currently depicted, one over the island, and another northeast of the Island. The one to the northeast is up to 40,000’. It ideas appear that both airports are in the clear.
 
MrBretz
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:42 pm

Both KOA and ITO are showing no delays as of now 8:42AM HST.
 
lasmike
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:08 pm

SWA canceled all flights from ITO for the day.
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 635
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:26 pm

This eruption of Mauna Loa has been long-expected and it is well-covered. For those of you that want to know the latest, most up-to-date information with intelligent commentary, then the Volcano Cafe website is for you. And, I am glad to share the following link . . .

https://volcanocafe.org/trouble-in-para ... auna-loa-2

The article currently there was posted previously, so scroll past that and go to the comments section. You will read posts from professional vulcanologists, geologists, students, local officials, and just plain volcano geeks. You will find LOADS of links, many of them linking to live webcams, earlier footage, and some spectacular pics! Some of the commentary is quite technical, as you might expect, but the rest of it is fascinating, and you can follow this eruption in real time. If you know the Big Island, if you love Hawaii, and if you fly to/from/within Hawaii, you don't want to miss out on this! Check back often, as new posts are coming very frequently. This is an ongoing eruption of the world's largest volcano, so check back often!
 
LH707330
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:58 pm

mga707 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
So, is there the possibility of closing those airports? Will flights to/from HNL or OGG be affected by this...delays as well?


Depends on how big the plume becomes, the direction it spreadsand and how that impinges on HNL/OGG-XXX routes. ATC game-day calls, I believe.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but prevailing winds in Hawai'i are normally NE to SW (hence the 'windward' and 'leeward' sides of the five largest islands), so unless the winds are unusual I don't think it should affect airports on the other islands.

That's true for the prevailing winds going around the islands and through the saddle. The Big Island is big enough that there's usually some inland heating and a bit of a sea breeze on the Kona side in the afternoons. Volcanic ash might change that though depending on how much sky it obscures.
 
747-600X
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2000 3:11 am

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:38 pm

Here's what the experts are thinking about this eruption's impact on aviation. If airlines are cancelling flights from the US, it may be due to the 45,000-foot volcanic ash cloud lingering to the northeast of the islands. That covers most of the normal routes into and out of Hawai'i from the mainland.

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/ARCH22/GFX/MAUN0005.jpg
https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/messages.html
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:45 pm

Looks like HA is operating normally at ITO but SWA has cancelled all but 1 flight
 
Vicenza
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:02 pm

mga707 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but prevailing winds in Hawai'i are normally NE to SW (hence the 'windward' and 'leeward' sides of the five largest islands), so unless the winds are unusual I don't think it should affect airports on the other islands.


All islands everywhere have 'windward' and 'leeward' sides.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 6049
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:48 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
It doesn’t say how high the ash cloud is erupting to. It’s been a few hours since the eruption started so when should we expect this information to leak out?


Geologist here. The ash cloud won’t be much of an issue since this is a classic Shield Volcano eruption over a mantle hot spot. These generate very little ash compared to those subduction zone stratovolcanoes (Pinatubo, Caribbean or Japan) or the mid-ocean rift volcanoes (Iceland) with their giant ash plumes from wet low temperature melts. This volcano has very high temp mafic magma/lava that is very fluid and flows very well. There may be immediate local ash impacts to airports, but the plume will disperse very easily with the winds. Most of the warnings, delays or cancellations will be the result of erring on the side of safety.
 
ASMVPGOLD
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:05 am

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:04 am

747-600X wrote:
Here's what the experts are thinking about this eruption's impact on aviation. If airlines are cancelling flights from the US, it may be due to the 45,000-foot volcanic ash cloud lingering to the northeast of the islands. That covers most of the normal routes into and out of Hawai'i from the mainland.

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/ARCH22/GFX/MAUN0005.jpg
https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/messages.html


Based on FR, there really are no impacts to flight routings to the islands today. ITO might have local issues from time to time, but seems to be a pretty normal day otherwise.
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:16 am

Spacepope wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
It doesn’t say how high the ash cloud is erupting to. It’s been a few hours since the eruption started so when should we expect this information to leak out?


Geologist here. The ash cloud won’t be much of an issue since this is a classic Shield Volcano eruption over a mantle hot spot. These generate very little ash compared to those subduction zone stratovolcanoes (Pinatubo, Caribbean or Japan) or the mid-ocean rift volcanoes (Iceland) with their giant ash plumes from wet low temperature melts. This volcano has very high temp mafic magma/lava that is very fluid and flows very well. There may be immediate local ash impacts to airports, but the plume will disperse very easily with the winds. Most of the warnings, delays or cancellations will be the result of erring on the side of safety.


Awesome info thank you for posting this!
 
User avatar
mga707
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 am

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:38 am

Vicenza wrote:
mga707 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but prevailing winds in Hawai'i are normally NE to SW (hence the 'windward' and 'leeward' sides of the five largest islands), so unless the winds are unusual I don't think it should affect airports on the other islands.


All islands everywhere have 'windward' and 'leeward' sides.


True. In Hawai'i, the three smaller main islands, which are all on the 'leeward' side of the chain, are wind/rain pattern affected by nearby larger islands.
 
eskimotail
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Re: Mauna Loa Erupting on Hawaii's Big Island.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:47 am

Vicenza wrote:
mga707 wrote:



All islands everywhere have 'windward' and 'leeward' sides.


Ever been to Kodiak Island, Adak Island?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos