Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Breathe
Topic Author

Edinburgh Ryanair passengers 'terrified' after 'group of 70' swig vodka and party onboard

Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:36 pm

This flight sounds like it was a lot of fun. :shock: Given the footage from the video, I'm surprised the flight wasn't diverted or the police weren't at Ibiza to deal with some of them.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/ed ... r-25627303

A couple were left terrified on a flight from Edinburgh to Ibiza after chaos erupted onboard with a group of '70-strong' passengers "swigging vodka and partying" in the aisle.

The pair have hit out at Ryanair for failing to control the rowdy group who reportedly left fellow passengers cowering in their seats. They said that after looking forward to a relaxing break at the end of September, they were subjected to three hours of "horrific" travel hell.

The duo, from North Lanarkshire, recorded video footage during the flight which shows passengers partying in the aisle as they blasted music and downed bottles of spirits. The woman, speaking anonymously to the Record, told how her husband has a heart condition and on his way back from the toilet, he was 'accosted' by a boozed-up youth who hit his hand before making a rude gesture.

Other passengers were allegedly subjected to verbal abuse and harassment by members of the '70-strong group' with plane staff unable to keep a lid on their antics. After returning from their holiday, a formal complaint was made to the airline over the incident but they were left unhappy once again after receiving a 'copy and paste' reply on November 26.

The couple says the reply "took no responsibility and gave no assurances that it wouldn't happen again."

The 55-year-old mum said: "The response from Ryanair was a joke. I didn't expect any else though to be honest. They've got you there because it's cheap flights but even though it's a bargain, you shouldn't have to go through that. Passenger safety comes first.

"There was no control over that plane at all. It was horrific from the minute we got on. There were about 70 of them who all came from the same area. They had a big black speaker at the highest volume you could get which was blaring for three hours.

"They were banging on the roof, taking their tops off, and opening their drink that they had bought at duty free. The only time Ryanair came near them was to serve them more drink. I didn't even want to go to the toilet because they were getting drunker and drunker.

"My husband went to the bathroom and on his way back, this guy hit my husband's hand as if to do a high five but then gave him the fingers. The other passengers were getting really annoyed at this behaviour and it could have erupted into a full-blown war."

The mum added that a fellow passenger was forced to shove a young man out of her way after he refused to leave her alone. To add fuel to the fire, she said bad weather on the Balearic Island made for a bumpy landing.

The stressed traveller added: "When we went to land, there was a storm which was bad enough. The air hostess was shouting over the speaker to sit down or the plane wasn't going to land because they were all still standing up.

"There were no police waiting for them at the airport. I understand that they were happy and excited about going on their holiday. I've flown to Ibiza for the last 16 years to the same wee place. I've seen a bit of partying on the flights before but nothing like this.

"It could have been an absolute riot because they were banging into people, shouting in people's faces. There could have been a war on that plane.

"People were scared to go to the toilet but they were scared they were going to get head-butted or hit with a bottle of Grey Goose that was flying about that they had bought at duty-free.

"It was a horrible experience. I get that you've got to expect a bit of partying and I understand that. But my husband and I have had a tough year with lots of sad things happening so we thought we'd go away and chill out.

"We got off the flight and were like 'Oh my God, we need a drink'. I've got a boy at 22. If I thought he was behaving like that on a plane with children and a mixed age group, I would be so embarrassed about it because it was horrific."

The couple have vowed never to fly with Ryanair again after they took a month to reply to their complaint and simply apologised for "any inconvenience caused".

A spokesperson for Ryanair said: "A group of passengers on this flight from Edinburgh to Ibiza became disruptive mid-flight.

"To diffuse the situation and minimise any disruption to passengers, crew made several announcements throughout the flight and refused to serve more than two alcoholic drinks to each passenger.

"Passengers ceased their disruptive behaviour before landing safely in Ibiza."

lxman1

Re: Edinburgh Ryanair passengers 'terrified' after 'group of 70' swig vodka and party onboard

Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:23 pm

It's amazing how alcohol can make some people complete idiots.

oldannyboy

Re: Edinburgh Ryanair passengers 'terrified' after 'group of 70' swig vodka and party onboard

Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:49 pm

Some people should never be offered the privilege of being granted a valid travel document and should instead be confined to an entire life of domestic misery, including bad food, bad weather and cold, wind-swept beaches coupled with a cold, murky sea under an ominous stale-grey sky.

Just sayin this a Brit, before anyone comes at me with a flamethrower!

oldannyboy

Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:54 pm

lxman1 wrote:

I'd actually wager that those youngsters are complete idiots, period. Even when not drinking.
The fact that they drink that much in such an environment, around other people, and get to behave like that pretty much proves my point I think...

lxman1

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:00 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
lxman1 wrote:

I'd actually wager that those youngsters are complete idiots, period. Even when not drinking.
The fact that they drink that much in such an environment, around other people, and get to behave like that pretty much proves my point I think...

I believe that you are correct. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

TexasAirCorp

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:19 pm

On behalf of my fellow Brits, I sincerely apologise for the chaos we continue to expel upon the world.

CALAV8R

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:23 pm

I'll have to admit I misread the title at first and imagined a group of 70-year-olds swigging vodka and partying on board. :duck:

Vicenza

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:36 pm

Personally, I'm honestly a bit dubious about it because there are a few details which I don't consider quite 'usual'

Gfgdfgv

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:54 pm

Didn’t Ryanair ban/limit alcohol on certain Scotland to Spain routes a few years ago?

VS11

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:00 pm

Does Ryanair have a no-fly list? And if they do, do they enforce it?

DeltaWings

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:27 pm

.... if it's legal, it will be done.

The disruptive passengers are only a result of having no laws.

seat1a

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:36 pm

In the US here, and just read about this. Went to the Ryanair website and came across this banner:

REACH THE PEAKS
FROM 29.99 GBP
IT'S ALL DOWNHILL FROM HERE!

Oh the irony!

frmrCapCadet

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:44 pm

Shouldn't that plane made an emergency landing and pursued charges against those revelers? I think US protocols would require at least the landing.

Eagleboy

Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:02 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
They banned the sale of alcohol on board indeed, however there's nothing they can do about passengers bringing their own alcohol with them. Most likely they raided the duty-free shop before departure.

Given that it was a flight to Ibiza I'm not surprised, specially youth go there to party which means drinking lots of alcohol and losing all inhibitions. Anything is possible.

Quite a lot that they can easily do.
A few years ago in Dublin, to combat this specific problem, Ryanair and Aer Lingus introduced a policy that all duty free alcohol was confiscated prior to boarding.
The duty free bags were labelled and handed back after arrival. In addition, no open soft drink bottles were permitted onboard.

I'm not sure if this is still in effect at Dublin.

LUKAS10

Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:06 pm

EDI-IBZ sounds like a recipe for a disaster.

rutankrd

Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:15 pm

Exceptionally surprised they flight didn’t drop in at Nantes - the local police there are rather used to evicting drunken Northern Europeans

f4f3a

Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:20 pm

Should make these morning flights only would solve the problem . lots of these flights tend to go late in the day gives these idiots chance to drink even before they have boarded . Judging by the video I think the caa might want to have a word . Looks like complete lawlessness going on ! Reducing 2 drinks per person when they're guzzling a bottle of vodka.

WesternDC6B

Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:24 pm

CALAV8R wrote:
I'll have to admit I misread the title at first and imagined a group of 70-year-olds swigging vodka and partying on board. :duck:

Or, worse: 70, year-old swingers. Much too young! :duck:

Vicenza

Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:25 pm

f4f3a wrote:
Should make these morning flights only would solve the problem . lots of these flights tend to go late in the day gives these idiots chance to drink even before they have boarded . Judging by the video I think the caa might want to have a word . Looks like complete lawlessness going on ! Reducing 2 drinks per person when they're guzzling a bottle of vodka.

Bars in UK airports open very early in the morning, so your proposal wouldn't solve it at all.

PatrickZ80

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:35 pm

f4f3a wrote:

I don't think that's going to work, folks like that have a beer for breakfast. They never sober up for their entire holiday, the drinking continues 24/7.

Breathe
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:37 pm

CALAV8R wrote:

It probably would have been a much calmer affair! :lol:

rbavfan

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Some people should never be offered the privilege of being granted a valid travel document and should instead be confined to an entire life of domestic misery, including bad food, bad weather and cold, wind-swept beaches coupled with a cold, murky sea under an ominous stale-grey sky.

You forgot the fog. LOL

floridaflyboy

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:47 am

Breathe wrote:
CALAV8R wrote:

It probably would have been a much calmer affair! :lol:

I dunno. My grandma can out-drink me any day. Lol.

zkojq

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:19 am

Vicenza wrote:
Bars in UK airports open very early in the morning, so your proposal wouldn't solve it at all.

How much of the issue is drinking at bars vs drinking duty free alcohol?

I remember being at Manchester Airport a few years ago, waiting for a mid-morning flight to continental Europe on a Star Alliance carrier. Once through security, I was absolutely staggered by the number of people drinking duty free alcohol in the terminal. The gate area for the Thomas Cook flight to Montego Bay (or possibly Cancun?) had literally dozens of people drinking vodka; most of them straight from the bottle, though some had brought plastic cups to share it around with their traveling companions. There didn't seem to be any action taken against this and none seemed to be denied boarding.

At the other end of the terminal there was similar stuff going on in the gate area of a flight to Spain. I was again amazed at how "normalized" such anti-social behaviour seemed to be. Felt very sorry for all the cabin crew who were going to have to deal with them for the flights, and the normal, sober passengers who probably weren't going to to have a very pleasant journey.

Thankfully everyone on my flight to a Star Alliance hub was behaved impeccably.

Kno

Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:20 am

Vicenza wrote:
Personally, I'm honestly a bit dubious about it because there are a few details which I don't consider quite 'usual'

I thought so too…. Until I watched the video. It’s really as bad as the article is describing.

holczakker

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:44 am

You sell tickets for peanuts, you get monkeys. Wouldn't it be normal for a real airline to divert and drop the intoxicated passengers somewhere en-route? Total lack of respect towards the crew and other pax, wonder what would happen with this bunch in case of an evacuation.

sixfootscream

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:54 am

TexasAirCorp wrote:
On behalf of my fellow Brits, I sincerely apologise for the chaos we continue to expel upon the world.

Who appointed you King ofd the Brits?

BrianDromey

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:57 am

holczakker wrote:
You sell tickets for peanuts, you get monkeys. Wouldn't it be normal for a real airline to divert and drop the intoxicated passengers somewhere en-route? Total lack of respect towards the crew and other pax, wonder what would happen with this bunch in case of an evacuation.

Why do you not consider Ryanair a “real” airline? They are comfortably the largest airline in Europe by passengers carried and fleet size. They operate over 500 737s and have not had a single hull loss.

While the customer experience might not be that great, they are a reliable and safe operation. They didn’t do a bad job during the pandemic either, keeping their crews employed and efficiently processing refunds and vouchers - at least compared to their peers.

holczakker

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:01 am

BrianDromey wrote:
...they are a reliable and safe operation.

What you see here is everything but a safe operation. And the next shipment of cretins can now see that they can do pretty much anything on board Ryanair.
I guess you don't want someone flourishing a portable speaker over your head the next time you fly and a bit of turbulence hits the aircraft. The muppet drops it even without turbulence in the next second while the crew is busy selling scratch cards.

UAL777UK

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:47 am

holczakker wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
...they are a reliable and safe operation.

What you see here is everything but a safe operation. And the next shipment of cretins can now see that they can do pretty much anything on board Ryanair.
I guess you don't want someone flourishing a portable speaker over your head the next time you fly and a bit of turbulence hits the aircraft. The muppet drops it even without turbulence in the next second while the crew is busy selling scratch cards.

Exactly that. I hate Ryanair for exactly this and avoid them at all costs. This is not the first time that their flights are spoiled by drunken idiots who will go out of their way to spoil your flight, even if they dont realise they are doing it!!!. Ryanair need to get on top of this before it gets out of control, god forbid if there was an emergency inflight. And yes, before you say anything i know it happens on other flights but rarely and it seems to be more often than not on FR.

PhilipBass

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:48 am

If you are avoiding LCCs like Ryanair then that is your loss.
It doesn't happen on LCC flights as a rule. It happens on flights with cheap ticket prices to certain destinations from certain cities in Northern Europe.
I fly LCCs but not on those routes so don't experience this anti-social behaviour.
If you are heading to Amsterdam or Prague or Southern Spain or Greek Islands, etc... you can predict that a certain cohort will be travelling with you in large enough numbers not to behave themselves.

PvdE

Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:41 pm

f4f3a wrote:

Doesn't help. I've worked in the UK in the past, traveling weekly on early Monday morning from Amsterdam (where I lived) on a weekly basis. Half the flight was people like me, the other half UK tourists returning from a fun weekend. It was clear many of the latter group were still absolutely loaded from what they'd had the days before. Lots of traffic to the restrooms ..

Gfgdfgv

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:03 pm

I had a mixed experience the other week, on a Friday night hop to DUB. Majority of the flight was sloshed including a group of about 20. Kudos to Ryanair for threatening to offload people if they didn’t sit quietly for the safety demo, which works but I disagreed with them letting 3 drunk lasses in the overwing aisle (and in old lady but that’s by the by). I suppose the crew had enough issues - the trolley barely made it past row 10 or so before landing

smokeybandit

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:12 pm

The worst people to interview about airplane incidents is the passengers.

divemaster08

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:16 pm

If youve ever had to take a train on Scotrail on a Friday/Saturday.... this is sadly a common thing!

However..... Air travel should be stricter..... surprised they didnt tell them to sit down, calm down, or they will divert and be arrested!

77XdelayImcarl

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:42 pm

PhilipBass wrote:
If you are avoiding LCCs like Ryanair then that is your loss.
It doesn't happen on LCC flights as a rule. It happens on flights with cheap ticket prices to certain destinations from certain cities in Northern Europe.
I fly LCCs but not on those routes so don't experience this anti-social behaviour.
If you are heading to Amsterdam or Prague or Southern Spain or Greek Islands, etc... you can predict that a certain cohort will be travelling with you in large enough numbers not to behave themselves.

Stop grouping Brits with Northern Europeans, thats r a cist!

PhilipBass

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:47 pm

I've seen cabin crew on Ryanair dealing with slightly rowdy travellers. Even before the doors are closed they've been told that if they do not shut up they are off.
I guess it is a bit like a class of teenagers where a 5ft1 Female teacher can exude a sense of "authority" while some 6ft2 young male teacher can not but if this bunch had already dived in to their carry-on alcohol there wasn't much the staff could do.

johns624

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:10 pm

divemaster08 wrote:
If youve ever had to take a train on Scotrail on a Friday/Saturday.... this is sadly a common thing!

However..... Air travel should be stricter..... surprised they didnt tell them to sit down, calm down, or they will divert and be arrested!
I took a West Coast train LON-GLA back in 2002 and had a drunk Scottish football team get on in Carlisle. Luckily, they were "happy drunks" and the captain apologized for their behavior just before pulling into the Glasgow station.

BlindMarshall

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:15 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

haha, not feeling very optimistic today are we?

Breathe
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:43 pm

johns624 wrote:
divemaster08 wrote:

I took a West Coast train LON-GLA back in 2002 and had a drunk Scottish football team get on in Carlisle. Luckily, they were "happy drunks" and the captain apologized for their behavior just before pulling into the Glasgow station.

At least get the station codes right: EUS-GLC ;)

Breathe
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:47 pm

divemaster08 wrote:

That's with the current temporary alcohol "ban" in place which is regularly ignored by the ticket inspectors. Don't blame them, 1 guy/woman dealing with a carriage load of boozed up group of people that could lead to verbal/physical abuse isn't in their job description.

I agree that the likes of the airport operators and airlines should have a zero tolerance to this behaviour, but I guess their profits are more important than passengers getting unruly onboard a flight.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:19 pm

Airports are like a small city in terms of governmental needs. But somehow they lie beyond the easy jurisdiction of the cities, counties, surrounding territories. Airlines themselves are not the appropriate entity to enforce laws. At best they can report and request. Camera surveillance might be a partial answer.

ozark1

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:01 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
holczakker wrote:

Why do you not consider Ryanair a “real” airline? They are comfortably the largest airline in Europe by passengers carried and fleet size. They operate over 500 737s and have not had a single hull loss.

While the customer experience might not be that great, they are a reliable and safe operation. They didn’t do a bad job during the pandemic either, keeping their crews employed and efficiently processing refunds and vouchers - at least compared to their peers.

Safe? What if someone had a heart attack or a stroke and no one could get through to help them ?What if the aircraft hit a patch of unexpected severe clear air turbulence? Im wondering if the agents didn’t get some kind of vibe that this group might mean trouble. I guess even if they did, they didn’t want to deal with 70 people. Does Ryanair do charters? If it was and they had empty seats so they sold the rest as regular passengers, then i guess their immaturity combined with entitlement made them erupt. Im grasping at straws, but i want to stress that this was not safe, it was very dangerous. I like Ryanair’s paint scheme on their aircraft, but I wouldn’t fly on them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos