Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qantas330

Re: Emirates News and Discussion - 2023

Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:45 pm

Anyone know if A6-EET and A6-EUZ are returning from storage? These two seem to of been left out so far.

PerfectGriffin

Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:18 pm

UAEflyer wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:
will they make it double daily in certain days of the week as the new bilateral allows more than 7 weekly.

They would have announced it already. Plus, if they did that, they couldn't launch daily service to a second destination, which I fully expect to happen very soon.

I think making double daily YYZ is more economical than opening a new destination , because the facilities , staff, agent, contracts are all in place , all you need is the addition flight and that's it.

Aren't they already kind of double daily to YYZ with AC's daily flight included?

matthew11

Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:34 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

They would have announced it already. Plus, if they did that, they couldn't launch daily service to a second destination, which I fully expect to happen very soon.

I think making double daily YYZ is more economical than opening a new destination , because the facilities , staff, agent, contracts are all in place , all you need is the addition flight and that's it.

Aren't they already kind of double daily to YYZ with AC's daily flight included?

Yup exactly. Canada is a big country, makes sense to start a new flight like to Vancouver.

xwb777

Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:07 am

A6-EOG is the second A380 to wear the new livery.

planemanofnz

Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:04 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

No, because they only codeshare - they're not revenue-sharing/metal-neutral partners on the route, and cannot coordinate pricing, strategies etc? They still compete.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

planemanofnz

Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:10 pm

UAEflyer wrote:

But you would lose a 'global reach' element which is so fundamental to a mega-carrier like EK's strategy - hence why we see EK at places like CHC rather than beefing up AKL beyind daily, at DPS rather than beefing up CGK more, at BOS rather than solely focusing on NYC, etc.

JannEejit

Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:44 pm

xwb777 wrote:
A6-EOG is the second A380 to wear the new livery.

Indeed so, and I managed to photograph it at Glasgow today.

ImagePSX_20230410_130243 by JannEejit, on Flickr

ImagePSX_20230410_151249 by JannEejit, on Flickr

ikolkyo

Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:06 pm

Such a slight change but it looks really good, well done refresh in my eyes.

Prost

Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:55 pm

That’s a very attractive livery, well done.

Airlinerdude

Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:42 am

qantas330 wrote:
Anyone know if A6-EET and A6-EUZ are returning from storage? These two seem to of been left out so far.

You also missed EOX and EOY if you're going in sequence. :)

All aircraft will be returned to service, bar the few that have either been dismantled or leases not renewed in the ED* series. EET and EUZ should be returning to service. As it stands, there are 91 active aircraft with another 4 or 5 cycling through maintenance or refit. A lack of engineers has been the major hold up in getting aircraft returned to service.

A6-EDM is currently the oldest aircraft in service.

Philippine333

Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:17 am

Nah, I prefer the previous livery over this one. Why would EK change it?

LAXPolaris

Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:54 am

Prost wrote:
If EK announces YVR I wonder if it’ll have an impact on the SEA flight.

We need a DEN flight before YVR.

Malayil

Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:55 am

LAXPolaris wrote:
Prost wrote:

EK could announce any US destination it wants today. I think a lack of spare planes and crew are preventing expansion in the US. My guess for future destinations would be PHL, ATL, PHX and perhaps MSP before DEN.

BA744PHX

Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:19 am

Malayil wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:
Prost wrote:

EK could announce any US destination it wants today. I think a lack of spare planes and crew are preventing expansion in the US. My guess for future destinations would be PHL, ATL, PHX and perhaps MSP before DEN.

I think DEN becomes more of priority due to UA/EK partnership

xwb777

Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:37 pm

There are rumors that Emirates will be announcing a new U.S destination.

Philippine333

Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:33 am

Malayil wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
I think DEN becomes more of priority due to UA/EK partnership

DEN's high altitude would prohibit such a flight - UA ruled out DEN-AKL only last month due to the altitude, and DEN-DXB is an even longer route.

Of course, they could always look at a fifth freedom route via Europe, e.g. DXB-DUB-DEN. This is what they had to do with MEX due to its altitude.

Really doubt they would do DUB because of there being US immigration there, but another city in Europe is definitely possible.

Regardless, it'd be appreciative if EK launches DEN sooner rather than later. BTW, a question, why are none of EK's US fifth freedom routes from the UK? And one day, will EK launch a fifth freedom route from LHR or MAN to somewhere in the US?

ikolkyo

Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:44 am

Philippine333 wrote:
Malayil wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
DEN's high altitude would prohibit such a flight - UA ruled out DEN-AKL only last month due to the altitude, and DEN-DXB is an even longer route.

Of course, they could always look at a fifth freedom route via Europe, e.g. DXB-DUB-DEN. This is what they had to do with MEX due to its altitude.

Really doubt they would do DUB because of there being US immigration there, but another city in Europe is definitely possible.

Regardless, it'd be appreciative if EK launches DEN sooner rather than later. BTW, a question, why are none of EK's US fifth freedom routes from the UK? And one day, will EK launch a fifth freedom route from LHR or MAN to somewhere in the US?

LHR slots are pretty valuable, doubt they would want to use them for tag alongs.

Philippine333

Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:01 am

ikolkyo wrote:
Philippine333 wrote:
Malayil wrote:

LHR slots are pretty valuable, doubt they would want to use them for tag alongs.

And would EK be considered uncompetitive because of BA and VS flying to many US cities from LHR since BA or VS are already there as your options?

Thenoflyzone

Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:04 am

UAEflyer wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:
will they make it double daily in certain days of the week as the new bilateral allows more than 7 weekly.

And yet, that's not what will happen.

matthew11 wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:

Yup exactly. Canada is a big country, makes sense to start a new flight like to Vancouver.

It's going to be Montreal. Daily on the 77W. Starts July 5.

Malayil

Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:27 am

I was doubtful on YUL but good for them. I guess whenever Canada deems to revise the bilateral again we will see YVR.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:34 am

Malayil wrote:
I was doubtful on YUL but good for them. I guess whenever Canada deems to revise the bilateral again we will see YVR.

I understand the skepticism, especially when EK has been so vocal about YVR for quite some time now. This being said, it makes sense to launch YUL ahead of YVR. Several reasons.

1. Montreal is the second largest city in Canada, and YUL is the second largest port of entry into the country, only behind YYZ.

2. YUL-DXB is a shorter flight than YVR-DXB, meaning higher profit margins, all else being equal.

3. Higher O&D from YUL both to DXB and to the rest of the Middle East. Not everything is about India.

4. Partnership with AC gives EK access to a vast network of destinations in NA from YUL.

AirbusOnly

Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:10 pm

Do any of you know if and when EK will resume flights to HAM with A 380? They currently fly HAM-DXB twice a day with the awful 777.

Airlinerdude

Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:35 am

Emirates has filed a request with the DoT to apply an Aegean codeshare on the EWR-ATH route from May 15, 2023.

See filing: DOT-OST-2023-0055-0001 on regulations.gov

DFWGlobeTrotter

Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:31 pm

Malayil wrote:

Looks like AC beat them to the punch - they'll launch YVR-DXB 4x weekly in October: https://onemileatatime.com/news/air-can ... ai-flight/

xwb777

Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:43 pm

DFWGlobeTrotter wrote:
Malayil wrote:

Looks like AC beat them to the punch - they'll launch YVR-DXB 4x weekly in October: https://onemileatatime.com/news/air-can ... ai-flight/

I don’t see AC beating them and launching YVR. EK launching YVR will likely affect the loads on SEA flights. The majority of the replies on the thread are pointing that EK will launch YUL and AC will go with YVR.

DFWGlobeTrotter

Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:57 pm

xwb777 wrote:
DFWGlobeTrotter wrote:
Malayil wrote:

I don’t see AC beating them and launching YVR. EK launching YVR will likely affect the loads on SEA flights. The majority of the replies on the thread are pointing that EK will launch YUL and AC will go with YVR.

I'm not sure what you're getting at - are you saying AC's announced YVR-DXB service will not launch by October, because EK will start it sooner?

xwb777

Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:52 pm

DFWGlobeTrotter wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
DFWGlobeTrotter wrote:

I'm not sure what you're getting at - are you saying AC's announced YVR-DXB service will not launch by October, because EK will start it sooner?

What i meant is, if EK will launch YVR, they will be affecting their own SEA flights. So its in the best interest to launch YUL rathar than YVR.

qantas330

Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:22 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
qantas330 wrote:

You also missed EOX and EOY if you're going in sequence. :)

All aircraft will be returned to service, bar the few that have either been dismantled or leases not renewed in the ED* series. EET and EUZ should be returning to service. As it stands, there are 91 active aircraft with another 4 or 5 cycling through maintenance or refit. A lack of engineers has been the major hold up in getting aircraft returned to service.

A6-EDM is currently the oldest aircraft in service.

Thanks for the reply and yes I did forget those two lol

pvking625

Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:01 pm

How about an EK fifth freedom route from Dubai to Edinburgh to the US ?

Philippine333

Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:24 pm

pvking625 wrote:

Would be interesting! At least this would be one of the few non-UK/US airlines flying between the UK and USA, and the competition isn't as bad as LHR-US or MAN-US as very few airlines are flying nowadays between EDI and the US.

David_itl

Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:38 pm

Philippine333 wrote:
pvking625 wrote:

Would be interesting! At least this would be one of the few non-UK/US airlines flying between the UK and USA, and the competition isn't as bad as LHR-US or MAN-US as very few airlines are flying nowadays between EDI and the US.

here is MAN-US:scheduled

MAN-ATL Virgin notionally daily but not operating till June
MAN-JFK: Aer Lingus daily A330, Virgin A330
MAN-MCO Virgin up to 10 weekly A330/A350, Aer Lingus daily A330
MAN-IAH Singapore Airlines 3 weekly A350

Err,,,, that's it.

At EDI, I believe United is operating up to 4 daily services (EWR x2, ORD and IAD) and DL up to 3 daily (JFK, BOS, ATL) and Virgin 2 or 3 weekly.to MCO

planemanofnz

Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:10 pm

David_itl wrote:
Philippine333 wrote:
pvking625 wrote:

here is MAN-US:scheduled

MAN-ATL Virgin notionally daily but not operating till June
MAN-JFK: Aer Lingus daily A330, Virgin A330
MAN-MCO Virgin up to 10 weekly A330/A350, Aer Lingus daily A330
MAN-IAH Singapore Airlines 3 weekly A350

Err,,,, that's it.

BY also does MAN-MLB seasonally.

Back to an EK fifth freedom to the US - I think DEN would be a likely contender for the US port, given its altitude restricts non-stop 77Ws on DXB-DEN, and so a stop in Europe somewhere would help support EK launching flights there.

I don't think MAN or EDI would be a great option for the stopover to DEN - better ones might be AMS or DUB, based on DEN's unserved demand:

https://slideplayer.com/slide/14239480/

Also:

- AMS is the top feeder port on FI's KEF-DEN flight, and third top feeder port on LH's FRA-DEN flight. With nearly 40,000 annual O&D passengers, DEN has the 3rd largest unserved US-AMS market and double the percentage of first and business class passengers as the two larger unserved markets ahead of DEN.

- DUB is the top feeder port on BA's LHR-DEN flight, and third top feeder port on UA's LHR-DEN flight. They might not go for DUB though, given US pre-clearance there would mean everyone would have to disembark and be processed there (not sure if compulsory disembarkation would happen anyway elsewhere).

http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/de ... l-airport/

Fifth-freedom rights to actually operate these services would be a whole different question though.

gkirk

Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:18 am

pvking625 wrote:

EK are currently not serving EDI. Better off adding a fifth freedom via GLA.

by738

Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:19 am

would need reasonably significant flow and infrastructure changes to allow that, I suspect, but not unsurmountable with First Class, Lounge, A380 Double Airbridge etc. Would be a great product to counter the ageing and often tech delayed iffy offerings from mostly seasonal US carriers at EDI.

Magnum9

Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:54 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
- DUB is the top feeder port on BA's LHR-DEN flight, and third top feeder port on UA's LHR-DEN flight. They might not go for DUB though, given US pre-clearance there would mean everyone would have to disembark and be processed there (not sure if compulsory disembarkation would happen anyway elsewhere).

http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/de ... l-airport/

Fifth-freedom rights to actually operate these services would be a whole different question though.

Curious why going through US pre-clearance in DUB would be an issue? When they land in DEN any connecting passengers onto UA flights can then go right to their next flight and EK can turn their flight around quicker.

ET stops at DUB on all their ADD-US flights and don’t seem to have any issue. Do their passengers not have to disembark and go through US Pre-clearance even though that’s where they’re heading?

mrkerr7474

Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:14 pm

by738 wrote:
would need reasonably significant flow and infrastructure changes to allow that, I suspect, but not unsurmountable with First Class, Lounge, A380 Double Airbridge etc. Would be a great product to counter the ageing and often tech delayed iffy offerings from mostly seasonal US carriers at EDI.

They would probably leave it as a 77W service if it was to go via EDI and therefore infrastructure wouldn't need to change.

There were talks of EK resuming EDI during NW23/24, anyone heard anymore information on this? I'm sure EDI would like to bring them back

audian

Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:59 am

Hello all!

Just intrigued on why EK downsized DFW operations to B77L post COVID.

Is it due to drop in demand? (or) any Operational reasons (or) Qatar's one world affiliation and being aggressive with 2x daily?

I happen to travel on DFW-DXB on 2 instances last year and both time the DFW-DXB sector is completely full and B77W could have carried more passengers and generated more revenue.

If anyone can throw some light on this route, that would be great. Thanks.

Magnum9

Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:28 am

audian wrote:
Hello all!

Just intrigued on why EK downsized DFW operations to B77L post COVID.

Is it due to drop in demand? (or) any Operational reasons (or) Qatar's one world affiliation and being aggressive with 2x daily?

I happen to travel on DFW-DXB on 2 instances last year and both time the DFW-DXB sector is completely full and B77W could have carried more passengers and generated more revenue.

If anyone can throw some light on this route, that would be great. Thanks.

A couple reasons:

1). AA + QR = Double daily QR DFW-DOH and is taking passengers from EK

2). Looking at ExpertFlyer for today, Tuesday & Wednesday EK222 is wide open in all classes - J7 C7 I7 O7 H3 Y9 R9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9 T9 V9 all of those days. Given we’re now in summer season you’d expect to see higher loads and DFW just simply isn’t producing them for EK. With EK’s new partnership with UA things will likely only get worse.

There’s your answers for why the 77W isn’t being used.

GlobalRepublic

Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:53 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
by738 wrote:

They would probably leave it as a 77W service if it was to go via EDI and therefore infrastructure wouldn't need to change.

There were talks of EK resuming EDI during NW23/24, anyone heard anymore information on this? I'm sure EDI would like to bring them back

Emirates don't even fly from DXB to EDI, they're certainly not going to start adding routes like EDI-DEN.

These "rumours" of EK's imminent return to EDI have been around since the day they left. Loads from EDI were never great before Covid put an end to the shot lived route and just this month Richard Jewsbury who is Emirates UK divisional vice president, said the following; "We've got a second Glasgow flight to come at some point. Edinburgh we haven't really started with yet but, that will come at some point in the future I'm sure. Its all driven by aircraft capacity so there's no timeline at the moment but we are working hard to bring our aircraft back into service".

I think we can forget these rumours as their it is direct from Emirates. No EDI before the second daily GLA is restored.

And while I don't think it will happen, there is more chance of Emirates adding GLA-JFK or GLA-MCO than there is EDI-DEN. I'm not saying either will happy but EDI-DEN, really?!

Philippine333

Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:10 am

GlobalRepublic wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
by738 wrote:

Emirates don't even fly from DXB to EDI, they're certainly not going to start adding routes like EDI-DEN.

These "rumours" of EK's imminent return to EDI have been around since the day they left. Loads from EDI were never great before Covid put an end to the shot lived route and just this month Richard Jewsbury who is Emirates UK divisional vice president, said the following; "We've got a second Glasgow flight to come at some point. Edinburgh we haven't really started with yet but, that will come at some point in the future I'm sure. Its all driven by aircraft capacity so there's no timeline at the moment but we are working hard to bring our aircraft back into service".

I think we can forget these rumours as their it is direct from Emirates. No EDI before the second daily GLA is restored.

And while I don't think it will happen, there is more chance of Emirates adding GLA-JFK or GLA-MCO than there is EDI-DEN. I'm not saying either will happy but EDI-DEN, really?!

Well my whole point is that it would be best if EK can start a UK-USA fifth freedom route at some point, as it does have fifth freedom routes from Europe to the US, but not the UK.

pvking625

Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:28 pm

Being from Glasgow myself, I would quite like to see GLA have a fifth freedom route with EK!

JannEejit

Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:29 pm

pvking625 wrote:
Being from Glasgow myself, I would quite like to see GLA have a fifth freedom route with EK!

Agreed, and given the EDI-centric weighting of Scotland-USA services currently, I'm sure there's room for a GLA-JFK contender in the mix once more.

AirIndia

Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:20 am

wesk

Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:09 pm

AirIndia wrote:

Would be amazing to see Vancouver as well!

USPIT10L

Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:42 pm

wesk wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

AC already announced DXBYVR last week.

wesk

Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:21 pm

USPIT10L wrote:
wesk wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

Sorry meant to say with Emirates.

AirIndia

Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:14 am

wesk wrote:
USPIT10L wrote:
wesk wrote:

Sorry meant to say with Emirates.

Well yes, but with this announcement, the bilateral entitlement for 21weekly flights is complete.

pziola

Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:59 am

You can now book premium economy on Houston route for thanksgiving. When did they make this change ?

TC957

Tue May 02, 2023 10:05 am

Apart from the last 6 newest A380's that came with PE on delivery, how many and which other 380's have been / are now being refitted with PE ?

wesk

Tue May 02, 2023 11:03 am

TC957 wrote:
Apart from the last 6 newest A380's that came with PE on delivery, how many and which other 380's have been / are now being refitted with PE ?

7 back in service so far, EK7777 is tracking the progress here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... D/pubhtml#

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos