Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EdmFlyBoi

Re: Air Canada News and Discussion - 2023

Sun May 21, 2023 3:26 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
EdmFlyBoi wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Looks like today was the inaugural for AC Cargo freighter service at SJD.

https://canadianaviationnews.ca/air-can ... osta-rica/

I must say the old toothpaste livery looks good as a freighter.

Not with the paint peeling it doesn't :lol:. They really need to paint the cargo fleet.

For who?

Cargo doesn’t care what the aircraft looks like. Ramp handlers sure don’t.

Other than for us enthusiasts, I can’t see a purpose in painting outside of a normal schedule.

A very true comment. The new livery looks great on the new build 767's. Just saying.

od-bwh

Mon May 22, 2023 2:36 am

FabienA380 wrote:
Nobody mentioned it, but the order could also go to rouge. HD B789s and you have beasts that could go anywhere in Europe or even Asia, at very cheap costs.

I don’t think Rouge would survive. I don’t see how its business case works. A grim future imho

ACL1011500

Mon May 22, 2023 3:32 am

Ac would not spend significantly on aircraft without lie flat j seats new b787s are too expensive for the fares generated by Rouge even
Rouge premium

ThePointblank

Mon May 22, 2023 6:23 am

od-bwh wrote:
FabienA380 wrote:
Nobody mentioned it, but the order could also go to rouge. HD B789s and you have beasts that could go anywhere in Europe or even Asia, at very cheap costs.

I don’t think Rouge would survive. I don’t see how its business case works. A grim future imho

Especially once AC heads into contract negotiations with their union this summer; there's no way that ALPA will accept continued pay differentials between mainline and Rogue.

Their pilots' union has an escape clause in their current 10 year agreement to enter full negotiations this summer, and they've apparently are looking to exercise it; a deadline for a decision is this May 29th.

beechnut

Mon May 22, 2023 2:48 pm

I could see the A330s go to Rouge potentially, if Rouge has an international future. I'm not so sure it has ANY future though! 330s work for Transat, they may work for Rouge with densified interiors, and the new 787s (-10s?) would all go to mainline. Indeed I don't think expensive top-of-the-line 787s fit the LCC model. Cheap used 330s might, plus the 8 originals assuming they still have more life in them.

But what do I know, I'm a mere retired putt-putt pilot.

Beech

Western727

Tue May 23, 2023 12:53 pm

Does anyone know about the long-term viability of AC1062/1063 (YVR-AUS-YVR)?

I ask because I live in AUS and have family in YVR. I was beyond thrilled when AC launched it last year, but bummed when it later became seasonal, ending in the fall, and relaunching recently with (currently) only a 2x/week frequency. Any insight would be appreciated.

IceCream

Tue May 23, 2023 1:00 pm

Western727 wrote:

I ask because I live in AUS and have family in YVR. I was beyond thrilled when AC launched it last year, but bummed when it later became seasonal, ending in the fall, and relaunching recently with (currently) only a 2x/week frequency. Any insight would be appreciated.

I see it staying but I don't think AUS is a huge market from western Canada in general. WS did YYC-AUS pre covid and it's only coming back this summer as well at 2x weekly. Although YVR-AUS is still bookable next winter.

Western727

Tue May 23, 2023 3:44 pm

IceCream wrote:
Western727 wrote:

I see it staying but I don't think AUS is a huge market from western Canada in general. WS did YYC-AUS pre covid and it's only coming back this summer as well at 2x weekly. Although YVR-AUS is still bookable next winter.

Indeed both on the AUS market not being huge from western Canada...and being bookable next winter; however the latter was the case as well last year, until my in-laws from YVR had their October itinerary for YVR-AUS changed from a n/s to a connection with UA after AC changed it from a year-round to a summer-only service. So, I'm reluctant to believe that it'll remain in service after summer.

Another reason I'm watching this closely is that my family of 4 plans to travel to Japan next winter. The idea of flying there on AC via YVR (which requires 1062/1063 to remain operational, for we don't want to make two connections) is golden, given that we'd "have to" make an 18-hour layover westbound and a 24-hour layover eastbound. The perfect opportunity to stay with family in Vancouver. If, however, AC makes 1062/1063 seasonal again this winter, we'd then be forced to connect via YYZ instead. And that would add a few hours of travel time in both directions, something I'm not keen on risking. Would AC, in such a case, be willing to rebook us on *A partner UA via SFO, for example?

dcajet

Tue May 23, 2023 4:42 pm

Air Canada has removed planned seasonal service between Canada and Peru during the NW 2023/24 (2x w YUL-LIM and 3x w YYZ-LIM w/788).

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230523-acnw23pe

drgmobile

Tue May 23, 2023 4:50 pm

Polot wrote:
Thomaas wrote:
You likely won’t see the oldest 330s replaced for another 5 years and they could easily do so by leasing other ones much more cheaply than purchasing a brand new aircraft.

At some point you need to commit to a more permanent replacement rather than just relying on cheap last gen aircraft that are also not getting any younger. Especially as some places are looking to clamp down more on emissions and fuel burn.

Delta has a long established approach of "just relying on cheap last gen aircraft that are also not getting any younger" for much of its fleet and they seem to do OK.

Polot

Tue May 23, 2023 5:10 pm

drgmobile wrote:
Polot wrote:
Thomaas wrote:
You likely won’t see the oldest 330s replaced for another 5 years and they could easily do so by leasing other ones much more cheaply than purchasing a brand new aircraft.

At some point you need to commit to a more permanent replacement rather than just relying on cheap last gen aircraft that are also not getting any younger. Especially as some places are looking to clamp down more on emissions and fuel burn.

Delta has a long established approach of "just relying on cheap last gen aircraft that are also not getting any younger" for much of its fleet and they seem to do OK.

Delta is not really buying newer examples of older generation aircraft to replace older examples of planes from that same generation. They primarily bought for expansion or to replace even older generations (MD-80s, which remember are a generation older than the 737NG and A320ceo).

dmanonice

Tue May 23, 2023 5:30 pm

yzfElite wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
EdmFlyBoi wrote:

Not with the paint peeling it doesn't :lol:. They really need to paint the cargo fleet.

For who?

Cargo doesn’t care what the aircraft looks like. Ramp handlers sure don’t.

Other than for us enthusiasts, I can’t see a purpose in painting outside of a normal schedule.

And for perhaps photo ops...that photo could have used some photoshop and only us nerds would have noticed.

I prefer the AC Black Cargo Titles with the Rouge tail, now that's a good looking bird!

bpat777

Wed May 24, 2023 2:42 am

Does anyone know why there are two 789s (C-FRSR and C-FRTG) parked at HKG for the last couple weeks?

IceCream

Wed May 24, 2023 3:06 am

Western727 wrote:
IceCream wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Indeed both on the AUS market not being huge from western Canada...and being bookable next winter; however the latter was the case as well last year, until my in-laws from YVR had their October itinerary for YVR-AUS changed from a n/s to a connection with UA after AC changed it from a year-round to a summer-only service. So, I'm reluctant to believe that it'll remain in service after summer.

Another reason I'm watching this closely is that my family of 4 plans to travel to Japan next winter. The idea of flying there on AC via YVR (which requires 1062/1063 to remain operational, for we don't want to make two connections) is golden, given that we'd "have to" make an 18-hour layover westbound and a 24-hour layover eastbound. The perfect opportunity to stay with family in Vancouver. If, however, AC makes 1062/1063 seasonal again this winter, we'd then be forced to connect via YYZ instead. And that would add a few hours of travel time in both directions, something I'm not keen on risking. Would AC, in such a case, be willing to rebook us on *A partner UA via SFO, for example?

Yeah it seems a bit risky. I don't see how 2x weekly YVR-AUS in the summer can turn into 4x weekly during the winter.

GSP psgr

Wed May 24, 2023 4:49 am

Am I misremembering, or did AC used to run a daylight flight from YYZ-LHR? I don't see one currently in the schedule, just the 737 MAX flight that operates YHZ-LHR.

Whiteguy

Wed May 24, 2023 5:00 am

GSP psgr wrote:
Am I misremembering, or did AC used to run a daylight flight from YYZ-LHR? I don't see one currently in the schedule, just the 737 MAX flight that operates YHZ-LHR.

Yes there was a day time YYZ-LHR, used to be called the “Daytripper”….

FabienA380

Wed May 24, 2023 6:38 am

The future new A321 rouge GYFY just flew MCI-MLB on 19 May and is now quoted by planespotter as stored.

cragley

Wed May 24, 2023 7:16 am

Does anyone know how AC does capacity wise on the YVR BNE route?
Is it a lot of Cargo or more pax for Tourism?

GSP psgr

Wed May 24, 2023 7:37 am

Whiteguy wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

Okay, great to know that I'm not losing my mind. Surprised that it isn't back for peak S23, given the recovery in transatlantic traffic. I guess I'll have to settle for a redeye on YUL/YYZ-LHR.

IceCream

Wed May 24, 2023 10:07 am

cragley wrote:
Does anyone know how AC does capacity wise on the YVR BNE route?
Is it a lot of Cargo or more pax for Tourism?

Every time I fly that route there's a lot of pax but the gate agent told me sometimes it's not very full so I'm assuming cargo as well.

Now that I live in Brisbane though I wonder why there's tourism here LOL. It's mostly just what you'd expect in a typical city besides a few things.

CrewBunk

Wed May 24, 2023 12:52 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
Okay, great to know that I'm not losing my mind. Surprised that it isn't back for peak S23, given the recovery in transatlantic traffic. I guess I'll have to settle for a redeye on YUL/YYZ-LHR.

I notice that for the summer peak time, the daylight trip was replaced with an overnight. So there are four flights a day, all overnight.

It looks like the late arrival slot at LHR is being used by the YHZ-LHR flight. That flight works with connections from YYZ, YOW and YUL if you preferred a daylight flight.

EdmFlyBoi

Wed May 24, 2023 12:59 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

I notice that for the summer peak time, the daylight trip was replaced with an overnight. So there are four flights a day, all overnight.

It looks like the late arrival slot at LHR is being used by the YHZ-LHR flight. That flight works with connections from YYZ, YOW and YUL if you preferred a daylight flight.

This is correct. The YHZ-LHR flight is on a Max with only PY and Y.

drgmobile

Wed May 24, 2023 1:15 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

Such a marvellous way to get to Europe. I hope it is brought back.

CrewBunk

Wed May 24, 2023 3:44 pm

drgmobile wrote:

The 737 which flies YHZ-LHR, originates in YYZ, so it’s a safe connection to make. I notice a handful of people do actually fly YYZ-YHZ-LHR to enjoy a daylight flight.

lostsound

Wed May 24, 2023 4:44 pm

I wonder if and when YYT gets LHR service again. The A220 would be a great choice if they can ETOPS certify them.

drgmobile

Wed May 24, 2023 5:11 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
drgmobile wrote:

The 737 which flies YHZ-LHR, originates in YYZ, so it’s a safe connection to make. I notice a handful of people do actually fly YYZ-YHZ-LHR to enjoy a daylight flight.

I wasn't aware of that until seeing it here. As I am originating in Ottawa, it's actually an even easier route for me. I will definitely take that option!

Polot

Wed May 24, 2023 5:13 pm

lostsound wrote:
I wonder if and when YYT gets LHR service again. The A220 would be a great choice if they can ETOPS certify them.

Not sure it makes much sense to maintain a few A220 ETOPS/(and if not already) overwater equipped when you have the Max ETOPS fleet (and A321XLRs later).

They did it in the past with the A319 pair but that was really only the option they had at the time for narrow bodies that could reliably fly TATL.

nname

Thu May 25, 2023 4:43 am

IceCream wrote:
Western727 wrote:
IceCream wrote:

Yeah it seems a bit risky. I don't see how 2x weekly YVR-AUS in the summer can turn into 4x weekly during the winter.

AC suspended YVR-AUS for W23 until Dec 15 at the earliest.

In other news, AC will be launching YYZ-MTY from Oct 29, 4x weekly 223.

Western727

Thu May 25, 2023 12:37 pm

nname wrote:
IceCream wrote:
Western727 wrote:

AC suspended YVR-AUS for W23 until Dec 15 at the earliest.

In other news, AC will be launching YYZ-MTY from Oct 29, 4x weekly 223.

Thanks, nname. Do you think AC would let us reroute our trip via UA in SFO if we booked a trip to NRT via YVR during the holidays only to have the YVR-AUS leg subsequently suspended? I ask because we're not hot on the idea of flying there via YYZ given the significant flight time addition that would result.

Dominion301

Thu May 25, 2023 1:38 pm

AC have released their winter sun schedule: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/a ... 16247.html

New routes: YYZ-MTY, YYZ-FDF, YUL-SJD & YUL-LRM

Frequency increases on various existing sun routes out of YHZ, YQB, YUL, YOW, YYZ & YEG.

Noise

Thu May 25, 2023 5:06 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
AC have released their winter sun schedule: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/a ... 16247.html

Frequency increases on various existing sun routes out of YHZ, YQB, YUL, YOW, YYZ & YEG.

Will the YUL-MIA flights still be with the A220?

ac190

Thu May 25, 2023 5:18 pm

Noise wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Will the YUL-MIA flights still be with the A220?

Picked a random few days in January and looks that way.

FabienA380

Thu May 25, 2023 11:51 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
drgmobile wrote:

That seems to be very new to me, last year when I flew it (Yhz-Lhr) it was just a few frames going back and forth between both.... I guess they changed the schedules this Summer.

SaschaYHZ

Fri May 26, 2023 12:55 am

FabienA380 wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
drgmobile wrote:

That seems to be very new to me, last year when I flew it (Yhz-Lhr) it was just a few frames going back and forth between both.... I guess they changed the schedules this Summer.

I flew YHZ-LHR-YHZ in September of last year and it was this. Not sure exactly when this timing of the flights started, but it's been around a bit.

Edited to add that the timing of the flights is nice, and could get a good night's sleep in London that night, and the A/C heads back the following day mid morning (11 AM when I did it) and a 3 PM arrival in YHZ is kinda nice too.

runway23

Fri May 26, 2023 3:24 am

Interesting article by Executive Traveller with some details about the A321XLR and other AC cabins

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/air-canada-a321xlr-business-class

-14J private flatbed suites on the 321XLRs 1-1 layout, no PE
-No confirmation of a door, but is a 'suite' really a suite without a door?
-Acumen working on the design (they worked on jetBlue Mint Studio, EY A380 Residence/Apartment)
-New design standard for cabin, interior, lounges, food. Based on "warmth" (more hints of red?)
-Work is underway on a 2nd generation of business class seats for the 777/787 (no mention of A330s)
-New cabins to be introduced on Express aircraft next year (175s and CRJ-900s)

IceCream

Fri May 26, 2023 5:03 am

Based on the AC winter schedule AC is cutting YYC-PHX/LAS/YHZ/OGG/PVR. I'm just hoping they keep YYC-LHR/FRA/LAX/EWR because at this rate YYC is gonna turn into a YYZ/YVR/YUL operation.

Whiteguy

Fri May 26, 2023 6:02 am

[*] if
IceCream wrote:
Based on the AC winter schedule AC is cutting YYC-PHX/LAS/YHZ/OGG/PVR. I'm just hoping they keep YYC-LHR/FRA/LAX/EWR because at this rate YYC is gonna turn into a YYZ/YVR/YUL operation.

HNL is gone too, just after bringing it back, brutal…

runway23

Fri May 26, 2023 6:27 am

Whiteguy wrote:
[*] if
IceCream wrote:

YYC-HNL is still loaded, 7M8 2x per week resumes November 3.

kriskim

Fri May 26, 2023 10:33 am

AC looking at resuming YVR-MEL in the NW 2024 schedule:

https://karryon.com.au/industry-news/ai ... dc-in-oct/

Acey

Fri May 26, 2023 11:21 am

runway23 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
[*] if
IceCream wrote:

YYC-HNL is still loaded, 7M8 2x per week resumes November 3.

Doesn't really make sense that HNL would be the only one to stay if everything else is gone.

Dominion301

Fri May 26, 2023 11:24 am

YQB-YVR is going year-round and is showing as switching to mainline and on a MAX to boot.

AC394 YVR-YQB 0815-1616 7M8 246
AC395 YQB-YVR 1715-2006 7M8 246

drgmobile

Fri May 26, 2023 1:37 pm

runway23 wrote:
Interesting article by Executive Traveller with some details about the A321XLR and other AC cabins

-Acumen working on the design (they worked on jetBlue Mint Studio, EY A380 Residence/Apartment)
-New design standard for cabin, interior, lounges, food. Based on "warmth" (more hints of red?)
-Work is underway on a 2nd generation of business class seats for the 777/787 (no mention of A330s)

Disappointing that there will not be a premium economy. I take their point on transcontinental, but going over the water on overnight flights, it's nice to have an option between the two price points. I would think that many of the long thin routes that this aircraft will operate would be more leisure than business focused.

ikolkyo

Fri May 26, 2023 1:48 pm

drgmobile wrote:
runway23 wrote:

Disappointing that there will not be a premium economy. I take their point on transcontinental, but going over the water on overnight flights, it's nice to have an option between the two price points. I would think that many of the long thin routes that this aircraft will operate would be more leisure than business focused.

Would eat up a lot of space, remember that this is an A321 and with 1-1 seating up front there won’t be much left in the back.

Polot

Fri May 26, 2023 1:56 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
drgmobile wrote:
runway23 wrote:

Would eat up a lot of space, remember that this is an A321 and with 1-1 seating up front there won’t be much left in the back.

:checkmark: The plane is just too small for 3 class layout.

CrewBunk

Fri May 26, 2023 2:26 pm

IceCream wrote:
Based on the AC winter schedule AC is cutting YYC-PHX/LAS/YHZ/OGG/PVR.

This is not all that surprising. All Flair routes. With such low yields, at one point one has to wonder if it’s worth allocating the resources. With the home town advantage, I’m certain Westjet is well able to compete.

But …. It’s a very fluid business. Routes like that can be restored quickly and that type of passenger is not loyal, they’ll pick the cheapest seat.

CrewBunk

Fri May 26, 2023 2:28 pm

Acey wrote:
Doesn't really make sense that HNL would be the only one to stay if everything else is gone.

I notice that the flight is load restricted. Surprising for a Max. Still, it makes for a comfortable flight.

crosscheckyyz

Fri May 26, 2023 2:37 pm

drgmobile wrote:
runway23 wrote:

I think the issue might be that with the PY product offered on widebody would be quite the challenge to offer that consistent service on the 321XLR with the galley configuration they plan to install. So they may just forgo PY and keep the "preferred" seating instead. They may see the cost benefits in offering a lie flat J product rather than just a PY they have on the MAX on LHR for instance and can charge a premium.

YYCFlier

Fri May 26, 2023 3:58 pm

IceCream wrote:

All of the sun capacity moved out of YYC to YVR. They even kept some of the flight numbers - hence why the huge increase out of YVR.

YYC-FRA will stay due to LH JV, same with EWR for UA.
LAX will probably get cut in winter.

Likely AC schedule, other than hubs = FRA, LHR and EWR, maybe with CUN surviving. With JV you can think of FRA and EWR being AC hubs too, so it's mostly now just hubs from YYC.

yzfElite

Fri May 26, 2023 4:46 pm

Polot wrote:
lostsound wrote:

Not sure it makes much sense to maintain a few A220 ETOPS/(and if not already) overwater equipped when you have the Max ETOPS fleet (and A321XLRs later).

They did it in the past with the A319 pair but that was really only the option they had at the time for narrow bodies that could reliably fly TATL.

Wasn't it also done with the Max8 for a short time prior to the grounding and then subsequent route cancellation? I believe the A319 M versions were transferred to Rouge when the Max's were delivered, I was on one this winter as I recall to FLL or TPA from YOW.

yzfElite

Fri May 26, 2023 4:48 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

They leave out the reductions, my YYZ-AUA direct flight on Nov 9th is no more, got the notification last night :( Looks like vacation will be one day shorter.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos