Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brickell305

Re: Caribbean Aviation - 2023

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:23 pm

A388 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Ok. I just figured since POS and TAB were the same country that any 5th freedom that they had for UVF-POS would exist for UVF-TAB as well.

Normally you'd be right, so either BA is not permitted to carry revenue passengers on the UVF-TAB route due to a restriction imposed by St Lucia or Trinidad & Tobago or the small number of passengers does not warrant the cost of doing this (includes ticketing, checking in, luggage handling and boarding).

Whatever the reason it's a shame as there isn't even any flights between SLU and TAB, and to do this trip will require a change of plane at POS on BW.

It probably just isn't worth it. How big is the air traffic between SLU/UVF and TAB on a weekly basis? I have a feeling it's quite thin.

A388

Traffic between ANU and TAB isn’t exactly high either but BA sold seats on those tags.

A388

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:30 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Traffic between ANU and TAB isn’t exactly high either but BA sold seats on those tags.

Okay, I corrected my post. My apologies, I don't know what else there might be to prevent them from selling those tickets.

A388

LimaFoxTango

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:45 pm

A388 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Ok. I just figured since POS and TAB were the same country that any 5th freedom that they had for UVF-POS would exist for UVF-TAB as well.

Normally you'd be right, so either BA is not permitted to carry revenue passengers on the UVF-TAB route due to a restriction imposed by St Lucia or Trinidad & Tobago or the small number of passengers does not warrant the cost of doing this (includes ticketing, checking in, luggage handling and boarding).

Whatever the reason it's a shame as there isn't even any flights between SLU and TAB, and to do this trip will require a change of plane at POS on BW.

It probably just isn't worth it. How big is the air traffic between SLU/UVF and TAB on a weekly basis? I have a feeling it's quite thin.

A388

Believe it or not, but some people in ANU took BA to TAB to get to POS. Either it worked out cheaper or maybe the date of travel is/was more convenient that way. Might be a thin market, but it isn't 0.

A388

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:14 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Believe it or not, but some people in ANU took BA to TAB to get to POS. Either it worked out cheaper or maybe the date of travel is/was more convenient that way. Might be a thin market, but it isn't 0.

Okay, it is strange that tickets aren't sold on that route if it is flown any way.

A388

aa1818

Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:39 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
Copa Airlines increasing flights to 7 days a week to Curacao, due to high demand from latin america.

https://www.facebook.com/10006361081069 ... tid=Nif5oz

Nice! Great for beyond PTY connectivity.

What is the frequency on PTY-BGI, POS, GEO, KIN, MBJ, PBM and SXM?
Are any of them daily like CUR at the moment?

Cheers,
AA1818

Brickell305

Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:58 am

aa1818 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
Copa Airlines increasing flights to 7 days a week to Curacao, due to high demand from latin america.

Cheers,
AA1818

POS is 5x weekly. GEO is 2x weekly. BGI, KIN, MBJ, PBM and SXM have never been daily (even pre-pandemic).

trintocan

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:08 am

I found it very interesting when I read that BA was not selling UVF-TAB routings on their new tag flights linking the islands. BA do have the legacy route rights to link the islands (a BOAC inheritance). Perhaps as was mentioned earlier they decided not to apply to activate the rights and link the islands or, if that was not an issue, they felt that the market was not large enough to actively promote. It's a pity though as the T&T - St Lucia market stands to lose a lot of capacity. BW currently fly POS-SLU 3/week if I have it right, I suspect they would try to move back to daily in short order. One also wonders whether, if the market suggests the capacity would be useful, BA would later apply for revenue operations on the route.

I have flown BA on the LGW-ANU-TAB on a few occasions as a cheaper alternative to flying into POS. The ANU-TAB and vice-versa always had a few people solely on the sector so there was consistently some traffic. The issue here may have been the changes in the POS-ANU air services over the years. BWIA always operated at least one jet flight daily between the islands, latterly alternating between KIN services 5x weekly and LHR 2x weekly with flights to YYZ, JFK and MIA in previous years. When Caribbean Airlines (BW) came in, though, KIN flights became a mix of nonstops and 1-stops via ANU, SXM and BGI and LHR was ended. It thus meant that ANU had just 2 or at most 3 weekly POS services from BW. LI by then had 2 daily ANU-POS (1 nonstop, the other via SLU ironically enough) and so had their own market presence. In spite of that the ANU-TAB held its own, perhaps due to the lower BW capacity impacting the market.

BTW POS-LGW is 3-weekly following the switch, I had a look recently.

Trintocan.

Brickell305

Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:20 pm

trintocan wrote:
I found it very interesting when I read that BA was not selling UVF-TAB routings on their new tag flights linking the islands. BA do have the legacy route rights to link the islands (a BOAC inheritance). Perhaps as was mentioned earlier they decided not to apply to activate the rights and link the islands or, if that was not an issue, they felt that the market was not large enough to actively promote. It's a pity though as the T&T - St Lucia market stands to lose a lot of capacity. BW currently fly POS-SLU 3/week if I have it right, I suspect they would try to move back to daily in short order. One also wonders whether, if the market suggests the capacity would be useful, BA would later apply for revenue operations on the route.

I have flown BA on the LGW-ANU-TAB on a few occasions as a cheaper alternative to flying into POS. The ANU-TAB and vice-versa always had a few people solely on the sector so there was consistently some traffic. The issue here may have been the changes in the POS-ANU air services over the years. BWIA always operated at least one jet flight daily between the islands, latterly alternating between KIN services 5x weekly and LHR 2x weekly with flights to YYZ, JFK and MIA in previous years. When Caribbean Airlines (BW) came in, though, KIN flights became a mix of nonstops and 1-stops via ANU, SXM and BGI and LHR was ended. It thus meant that ANU had just 2 or at most 3 weekly POS services from BW. LI by then had 2 daily ANU-POS (1 nonstop, the other via SLU ironically enough) and so had their own market presence. In spite of that the ANU-TAB held its own, perhaps due to the lower BW capacity impacting the market.

Trintocan.

There was one point at which BW (CAL) was still flying POS-BGI-ANU-KIN and LI had yet to start ANU-POS nonstop. LI’s flights still went via SLU. At that point in time, ANU-TAB was the only nonstop between Antigua/Barbuda and Trinidad/Tobago. I believe that was when ANU-TAB was at its peak. From memory, it was flown every Monday then. BA’s flight was popular as it was cheaper than both BW and LI, especially during peak periods such as carnival, Christmas, summer and Easter.

A388

Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:30 pm

aa1818 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

Cheers,
AA1818

CUR will actually go to 6 weekly as a first step and later this will increase to daily service. AUA has been daily for some time now.

A388

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:42 pm

A388 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

Cheers,
AA1818

CUR will actually go to 6 weekly as a first step and later this will increase to daily service. AUA has been daily for some time now.

A388
My guess is that both AUA and CUR could sustain PTY outbound evenings and PTY inbound mornings.. 1-2 nights per week.. in the near future..

gunnerman

Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:10 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
trintocan wrote:

Trintocan.

There was one point at which BW (CAL) was still flying POS-BGI-ANU-KIN and LI had yet to start ANU-POS nonstop. LI’s flights still went via SLU. At that point in time, ANU-TAB was the only nonstop between Antigua/Barbuda and Trinidad/Tobago. I believe that was when ANU-TAB was at its peak. From memory, it was flown every Monday then. BA’s flight was popular as it was cheaper than both BW and LI, especially during peak periods such as carnival, Christmas, summer and Easter.

In October 2014 BA doubled its frequency to twice-weekly on the LGW-ANU-TAB route, operating on Mondays and Fridays. The frequency was reduced to weekly in the summer.

As an aside I don't fully understand why Tobago tourism is poor and does worse than, say, nearby Grenada, as there are good hotels and beaches near the airport. I wonder what the large numbers of people employed by the Tobago government are doing.

fowlr29

Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:15 pm

Azul starting flights from Belo Horizonte to Curacao once a week. Guess recent traffic from Brazil to CUR must be really strong for both Copa and Azul to announce these changes so close together.

embraer175e2

Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:36 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
Azul starting flights from Belo Horizonte to Curacao once a week. Guess recent traffic from Brazil to CUR must be really strong for both Copa and Azul to announce these changes so close together.

Which equipment you think will they use? Embraer195e2 or airbus320?

Divi Air used to fly to brazil with a wetleased corendon737 but they stopped.

fowlr29

Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:38 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:

embraer175e2

Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:44 pm

Jet Air increasing flights to 3 times a week to PBM.
Now that slm has restarted its operations to cur, apparently they want to compete with them for the higher connectivitity.

embraer175e2

Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:56 pm

Sky High is increasing its flights to venezuela.
Daily flights to Caracas from santo domingo with e190

fb://photo/10159434926650814?set=a.2729 ... tid=Nif5oz

fowlr29

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:37 pm

Antigua Airways halting flights. Not surprised here.... the election is done.

" The Minister said that based on intelligence reports, the objective of the charter was to use Antigua as a stepping stone for persons going to other jurisdictions. “It was drawn to our attention and accordingly we made a move to suspend the route”. " ....................... should I laugh or?

Anyway. It's "temporary" but I doubt we will see them again.

https://caribbean.loopnews.com/content/ ... ica-halted

gunnerman

Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:25 am

I suspect central America as it's quite easy to get to PTY: ANU-GEO on JY, GEO-PTY on CM. However who knows what the visa requirements are for the West Africans.

LimaFoxTango

Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:10 pm

ANU is getting 4 VS A333's today (28/1). 3 from LHR and 1 from MAN. These are passengers boarding the P&O Arvia cruise ship which is home porting in ANU today and for the next few weeks.

aa1818

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:48 pm

fowlr29 wrote:

" The Minister said that based on intelligence reports, the objective of the charter was to use Antigua as a stepping stone for persons going to other jurisdictions. “It was drawn to our attention and accordingly we made a move to suspend the route”. " ....................... should I laugh or?

Apart from the first charter and return flight which was operated by EuroAtlantic, were any other flights operated?

Unsurprising that this farce did not last, but surprised it wasn't a bigger scandal with $$$ being lost.

Cheers,
AA1818

LimaFoxTango

Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:09 pm

aa1818 wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:

Apart from the first charter and return flight which was operated by EuroAtlantic, were any other flights operated?

Unsurprising that this farce did not last, but surprised it wasn't a bigger scandal with $$$ being lost.

Cheers,
AA1818

2 rotations of "Antigua Airways" we're done by EuroAtlantic. There were an additional 2 inbound flights operated HiFly. It's still unclear if the HiFly flights are connected to "Antigua Airways" as they deny they had any involvement with those.

gunnerman

Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:53 pm

The first EuroAtlantic flight for Antigua Airways was from LOS to ANU was on 1 November and I'm sure that the next one on 6 November also operated as scheduled as there would have been a filthy fuss otherwise.

The Hi Fly flight on 24 December was reportedly from Cameroon and nothing to do with Antigua Airways but I am deeply suspicious that another charter flight with over 100 passengers could come from such an unlikely place and have nothing to do with Antigua Airways.

embraer175e2

Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:17 pm

gunnerman wrote:
The first EuroAtlantic flight for Antigua Airways was from LOS to ANU was on 1 November and I'm sure that the next one on 6 November also operated as scheduled as there would have been a filthy fuss otherwise.

The Hi Fly flight on 24 December was reportedly from Cameroon and nothing to do with Antigua Airways but I am deeply suspicious that another charter flight with over 100 passengers could come from such an unlikely place and have nothing to do with Antigua Airways.

What was the loadfactor on these flights? And how many flight were there?

embraer175e2

Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:29 pm

Air France has announced it will expand its regional network to the Caribbean by launching a new international milk run route between Point-à-Pitre, Fort-de-France, Cayenne, and finally, Belém, in Brazil.

https://simpleflying.com/air-france-cay ... 1674951171

A388

Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:41 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
My guess is that both AUA and CUR could sustain PTY outbound evenings and PTY inbound mornings.. 1-2 nights per week.. in the near future..

If you mean that the CM flight overnights in CUR like AA does with rheir MIA flight, that will be great but they have never done that. I don't see them doing this to be honest but I hope I'm wrong.

A388

gunnerman

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:33 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

What was the loadfactor on these flights? And how many flight were there?

A newspaper reported over 100 passengers on the Hi Fly flight. There must have been another flight to take them home.

dominicl316

Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:19 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
Air France has announced it will expand its regional network to the Caribbean by launching a new international milk run route between Point-à-Pitre, Fort-de-France, Cayenne, and finally, Belém, in Brazil.

https://simpleflying.com/air-france-cay ... 1674951171

This is of great significance, as CAY has been without service to the rest of the South American continent since the pandemic. Currently, the only way to access South America from CAY is to journey to PBM and catch CM - or a long overland journey into Brazil. Another circuituous option is to catch a South America-bound flight from SXM, SJU, or MIA - hubs that are only accessible via an overnight in FDF.

flyaa757

Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:08 am

I wish AF would try ATL again from FDF or PTP. With DL feed it’s kind of unbelievable they can’t make 1-2w work.

A388

Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:38 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:

I'm also leaning a bit more towards the A320 but the E2 is an equally good aircraft for this route so it wouldn't surprise me they sent the E2 as well.

A388

embraer175e2

Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:30 pm

A pbm-cur ticket starts from351usd.
A pbm-mia ticket starts from 450usd, only 100 usd dollars more for a two and a half hour longer flight.
Can they really make money with this mia flight? Or is the 2 hour flight to curacao overpriced?

https://www.facebook.com/10006433622346 ... tid=Nif5oz

embraer175e2

Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:47 pm

A388 wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

I'm also leaning a bit more towards the A320 but the E2 is an equally good aircraft for this route so it wouldn't surprise me they sent the E2 as well.

A388

I agree. With lower loads they can easily switch to the right sized e195e2.

embraer175e2

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:32 am

SLM reintroducing the a340 on the Amsterdam route.
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... ol-vliegen

phatfarmlines

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:28 pm

As discussed on several threads, F9 expansion in Puerto Rico starting in May. Mostly day-of-week frequency, but BWI and DFW will be daily:

SJU: DTW, BWI, CLE, MDW, DFW, CUN

BQN: TPA

PSE: MCO

https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... and-ponce/

Do we know what the current gate situation at SJU is these days? Do we think we may start to see mainline carriers start using those three gates in the D/E concourse with jetways?

Brickell305

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:53 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
As discussed on several threads, F9 expansion in Puerto Rico starting in May. Mostly day-of-week frequency, but BWI and DFW will be daily:

Do we know what the current gate situation at SJU is these days? Do we think we may start to see mainline carriers start using those three gates in the D/E concourse with jetways?

CUN is highly surprising to me. Are there Puerto Rican tourists heading to CUN in significant enough numbers to warrant a flight?

jmdc861

Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

CUN is highly surprising to me. Are there Puerto Rican tourists heading to CUN in significant enough numbers to warrant a flight?

I was thinking the same thing. But coming and then leaving is part of the Frontier business model.

FlyingHonu001

Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:51 am

And Surinam Airways is back...with yet another A343
This should be interesting :eyebrow:

...The signing of the lease agreement for the Airbus A340-300 with V2 Aviation DMCC from Dubai took place yesterday. This aircraft will be deployed on the Mid-Atlantic route. The plane is currently still in Jordan where the final touches are being made to technical matters...

Source translated from news outlet Surinam Herald
https://www.srherald.com/suriname/2023/ ... or-airbus/

embraer175e2

Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:07 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
And Surinam Airways is back...with yet another A343
This should be interesting :eyebrow:

...The signing of the lease agreement for the Airbus A340-300 with V2 Aviation DMCC from Dubai took place yesterday. This aircraft will be deployed on the Mid-Atlantic route. The plane is currently still in Jordan where the final touches are being made to technical matters...

Source translated from news outlet Surinam Herald
https://www.srherald.com/suriname/2023/ ... or-airbus/

https://simpleflying.com/surinam-airway ... rbus-a340/

baje427

Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:19 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
SLM reintroducing the a340 on the Amsterdam route.
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... ol-vliegen

The Surinamese government really has money to waste this will end the same way.

baje427

Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:41 am

Does anyone know why AA doesn't have a Monday morning departure from BGI ?

303dk

Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:39 am

baje427 wrote:

Where does AA overnight crews in the Caribbean other than SJU and SDQ? Everything is same day out and back.

fowlr29

Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:46 am

303dk wrote:
baje427 wrote:

Where does AA overnight crews in the Caribbean other than SJU and SDQ? Everything is same day out and back.

KIN, BGI, GEO are some others that come to mind.

303dk

Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:02 am

fowlr29 wrote:
303dk wrote:
baje427 wrote:

Just 7 days/week on the routes with business demand?

maverick4002

Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:05 am

fowlr29 wrote:
303dk wrote:
baje427 wrote:

They overnight in POS as well, no?

Brickell305

Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:06 am

fowlr29 wrote:
303dk wrote:
baje427 wrote:

There are also some crew overnights at ANU even though the planes don’t overnight there.

Brickell305

Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:07 am

maverick4002 wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:
303dk wrote:

They overnight in POS as well, no?

On their current schedule, no. However, that will change during the two busy carnival weeks and then go back to turns once carnival passes.

windian425

Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:29 am

baje427 wrote:

It’s for cruise traffic on Sundays. 2 afternoon turnaround flights on Sundays only, so no overnight to depart on Monday morning.

caribny

Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:28 pm

Is AA still planning to withdraw from PBM? They are up from 4xw to daily.

Separately LI has now built in a complete 2 plane operation. Increased service aimed at improving connectivity from EIS/SKB to ANU and points south.

baje427

Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:35 pm

windian425 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

It’s for cruise traffic on Sundays. 2 afternoon turnaround flights on Sundays only, so no overnight to depart on Monday morning.

Interesting, thanks for the response.

baje427

Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:38 pm

caribny wrote:
Is AA still planning to withdraw from PBM? They are up from 4xw to daily.

Separately LI has now built in a complete 2 plane operation. Increased service aimed at improving connectivity from EIS/SKB to ANU and points south.

Hopefully LI doesn't spread itself too thin but it'll be interesting to see how they manage going forward.

LimaFoxTango

Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:28 pm

Looks like JY will be launching SKB with flights BGI-SKB-BGI 3w. Now bookable on their website.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos