Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trueblew

Re: Breeze Airways - News and Discussion - 2023

Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:02 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
flyaa757 wrote:
Has there been any communication whatsoever about financials? Given the lack of success on the 220 long hauls - would really be interested to see what this looks like.

As they're a private company there isn't much public info about their finances, but they still have to file financial results with the DOT. Various articles suggest these filings show Breeze lost $116 million between Q4 2021 and Q3 2022, with losses widening each quarter. That's the most up-to-date info on their finances that I'm able to find as of now.

https://eu.cantonrep.com/story/news/loc ... 978670007/

It certainly makes one wonder when Neeleman will run out of other peoples' money, and, after that point, what happens to the sizeable fleet Breeze have accrued despite their relative lack of flying. Perhaps Breeze can transition into a charter airline as they have found relative success in that business it would seem.

Not all good ideas make good business plans. This appears to be an example of one which does not.

Bluegrass60

Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:07 pm

trueblew wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
flyaa757 wrote:
Has there been any communication whatsoever about financials? Given the lack of success on the 220 long hauls - would really be interested to see what this looks like.

As they're a private company there isn't much public info about their finances, but they still have to file financial results with the DOT. Various articles suggest these filings show Breeze lost $116 million between Q4 2021 and Q3 2022, with losses widening each quarter. That's the most up-to-date info on their finances that I'm able to find as of now.

It certainly makes one wonder when Neeleman will run out of other peoples' money, and, after that point, what happens to the sizeable fleet Breeze have accrued despite their relative lack of flying. Perhaps Breeze can transition into a charter airline as they have found relative success in that business it would seem.

Not all good ideas make good business plans. This appears to be an example of one which does not.

"MX and Neeleman have successfully built MX to where it is today...a national route structure with lots of opportunity to "mature" 34 destinations with existing and new routes/flight times. You forget the success of the 220 long hauls (and there are successful 220 long hauls)....If it weren't for "other people's money...there would be zero new airlines. Refreshing to see the MX naysayers."

Manderson12

Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:21 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
trueblew wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:

"MX and Neeleman have successfully built MX to where it is today...a national route structure with lots of opportunity to "mature" 34 destinations with existing and new routes/flight times. You forget the success of the 220 long hauls (and there are successful 220 long hauls)....If it weren't for "other people's money...there would be zero new airlines. Refreshing to see the MX naysayers."
I agree, you read so much nonsense concerning MX on this forum it is unbelievable. One good thing about Neeleman is that he is oblivious to nonsense...

TexasAirCorp

Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:28 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:

Yes, airline startups nearly always rely on "other people's money", and it's not uncommon for startups in any money to burn cash in their initial years, however the operational and strategy side of Breeze represents a business that's 'maturing' like rotting cheese. Neeleman and his crew have 'successfully' built MX into an airline with a poor reputation for reliability, a route network that now resembles more of a revolving door, and a company that's already eaten through half of its launch capital after less than two years of operation. I don't see much success on the A220 long haul side, as shown by the rather alarming number of routes being cut either before or soon after launch, and backed up by the fact A220 expansion this summer seems to largely consist of short-haul flying rather than the transcon routes the aircraft was originally intended for.

My personal bugbear with Breeze is the fact it doesn't seem to have any kind of consistent strategy, instead it lurches from niche to niche seemingly in the hope it might strike gold somewhere. Its network is beginning to resemble Elite Airways on steroids; a collection of rather random routes that might possibly make some sense, but with no cohesive synergy or any long-term network development aims. Its initial bases, mainly ORF/MSY but also CHS/TPA, seem to have been largely forgotten about in favour of thinly-spread W-routes, many of which make little logistical sense from summer-orientated destinations like Charleston or Norfolk, resulting in potentially lucrative markets being held back performance-wise by the required positioning flight (CHS-CRW is a brilliant example of this).

I also think it's pretty embarrassing that the airline with the slogan 'nice, new, nonstop' now seems to operate quite a significant number of flights that aren't nonstop; it might make sense schedule wise, however it's nowhere near Breeze's initial business plan, and seems to be a rather desperate attempt to fill otherwise empty seats. That, combined with the fact MX is now having to chase well-service markets like MCO, just shows whatever strategy they've has adopted isn't working and is slowly being scrapped. Does that mean Breeze is at death's door? No, but it doesn't show success either.

Lilj4425

Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:22 am

The problem with Breeze is they aren’t going into markets that they would be successful in. If they would expand into underserved markets like PTI, GSP, BHM, and CAE here in the southeast instead of putting all of their eggs into the CHS basket they would probably have a lot better success rate. I don’t know who all at the company is in charge of planning new cities and routes but they don’t seem to be the smartest of the bunch.

MavyWavyATR

Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:06 am

runningonempty wrote:
Looks like there is a new route drop on the horizon... seeing some fresh new nonstops being loaded in as we speak. Totally unscientific means of checking bookable flights on their website showing the following:

ISP - RDU (Begins 6/29, Sun/Thurs, ends in fall)
ISP - PWM (Begins 6/28, Wed/Sat, continues through fall)
PWM - MCO (Begins Fall, 2x Weekly - was this previously announced?)

Likely missing some, we'll probably see an official announcement in the morning.

One route I would've liked to see is ISP-LAX. Could have the potential of doing well there.

SurfandSnow

Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:03 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
One route I would've liked to see is ISP-LAX. Could have the potential of doing well there.

ISP-LAX?!? Surely after HPN-LAX failed, Breeze will stick with more logical choices from ISP like JAX, RSW, perhaps even VRB rather than losing money on something that would never make sense when a plethora of LAX services are available and established from nearby JFK.

As with HPN, most pax will not hesitate to drive/ride to the nearby major airport for their longer haul travels. It's really only for shorter haul stuff where the convenience of the local airport is appreciated and supported. WN certainly doesn't bother to serve LAS or even MDW nonstop from ISP anymore, after all. LAX would never work.

panam330

Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:28 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:

‘“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”
-Wayne Gretzky”
-Michael Scott’

Everything’s a quote if you want it to be.

Bluegrass60

Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:30 pm

I misuse quotes. One quote will stand by: "MX will thrive"

Gulfstream500

Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:15 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

Yes, airline startups nearly always rely on "other people's money", and it's not uncommon for startups in any money to burn cash in their initial years, however the operational and strategy side of Breeze represents a business that's 'maturing' like rotting cheese. Neeleman and his crew have 'successfully' built MX into an airline with a poor reputation for reliability, a route network that now resembles more of a revolving door, and a company that's already eaten through half of its launch capital after less than two years of operation. I don't see much success on the A220 long haul side, as shown by the rather alarming number of routes being cut either before or soon after launch, and backed up by the fact A220 expansion this summer seems to largely consist of short-haul flying rather than the transcon routes the aircraft was originally intended for.

My personal bugbear with Breeze is the fact it doesn't seem to have any kind of consistent strategy, instead it lurches from niche to niche seemingly in the hope it might strike gold somewhere. Its network is beginning to resemble Elite Airways on steroids; a collection of rather random routes that might possibly make some sense, but with no cohesive synergy or any long-term network development aims. Its initial bases, mainly ORF/MSY but also CHS/TPA, seem to have been largely forgotten about in favour of thinly-spread W-routes, many of which make little logistical sense from summer-orientated destinations like Charleston or Norfolk, resulting in potentially lucrative markets being held back performance-wise by the required positioning flight (CHS-CRW is a brilliant example of this).

I also think it's pretty embarrassing that the airline with the slogan 'nice, new, nonstop' now seems to operate quite a significant number of flights that aren't nonstop; it might make sense schedule wise, however it's nowhere near Breeze's initial business plan, and seems to be a rather desperate attempt to fill otherwise empty seats. That, combined with the fact MX is now having to chase well-service markets like MCO, just shows whatever strategy they've has adopted isn't working and is slowly being scrapped. Does that mean Breeze is at death's door? No, but it doesn't show success either.

One thing that I will say is that Allegiant has a less-than-stellar reputations for reliability, but is still highly profitable. Spirit has a terrible reputation as far as comfort is concerned, yet they are highly profitable too. And Frontier is frequently mocked for their dartboard strategy. Ultimately, what I am going at is that people couldn't care less about the brand they're flying on when it is their own money - they care about convenience (how quickly they can get from point a to point b) and price, and a lot of people I know have no idea who half of the major US airlines even are.

However, I do very much agree that some of their routes make little sense in terms of present demand, though I definitely appreciate that there is a ULCC that is willing to fly me to somewhere other than Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, or Vegas.

Bluegrass60

Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:48 pm

Totally agree. I retired in July as Million Miler on DL and lots of points on WN and UA. Had earned many upgrades and free flights over the years on most of the domestic carriers. Vast majority were paid for via expense account. Usually flew on DL as long as fare was reasonable.

Now that am retired....looking for best fare and schedule. Have flown MX and was great experience.

usflyer msp

Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:05 pm

MX is supposed to cater to leisure travellers with frequencies and non-stop flights but how much leisure traffic is there between Islip and Pittsburgh or Providence and Columbus? There has to be some volume for their model to have a chance.

ATLgaUSA

Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:18 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

One thing that I will say is that Allegiant has a less-than-stellar reputations for reliability, but is still highly profitable. Spirit has a terrible reputation as far as comfort is concerned, yet they are highly profitable too. And Frontier is frequently mocked for their dartboard strategy. Ultimately, what I am going at is that people couldn't care less about the brand they're flying on when it is their own money - they care about convenience (how quickly they can get from point a to point b) and price, and a lot of people I know have no idea who half of the major US airlines even are.

However, I do very much agree that some of their routes make little sense in terms of present demand, though I definitely appreciate that there is a ULCC that is willing to fly me to somewhere other than Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, or Vegas.

Allegiant had a bad reputation for reliability. Its reliability has improved dramatically over the past few years.

krsw757

Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:06 pm

ATLgaUSA wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:

Allegiant had a bad reputation for reliability. Its reliability has improved dramatically over the past few years.

Yet for 2022, they had the worst on time percentage (63.22%) and 2nd worse cancellation rate (1.3%).

yoshoward12

Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:36 pm

I think in theory, their routes are interesting but as some have stated earlier, there is no clear strategy, instead they are just picking random routes that “should” work. Its all fun and games until the money runs dry. Personally, I think if they picked a handful of bases and had simple operations from there, choosing underserved routes, they could be ok. It would simplify the schedule, get planes back to their bases, help maintenance, and decrease costs. Avelo is doing a good job at this for the most part and their simple (relatively speaking) operation seems built to last longer.

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:45 am

yoshoward12 wrote:
I think in theory, their routes are interesting but as some have stated earlier, there is no clear strategy, instead they are just picking random routes that “should” work. Its all fun and games until the money runs dry. Personally, I think if they picked a handful of bases and had simple operations from there, choosing underserved routes, they could be ok. It would simplify the schedule, get planes back to their bases, help maintenance, and decrease costs. Avelo is doing a good job at this for the most part and their simple (relatively speaking) operation seems built to last longer.

If losing $23.8M is a "good job" then Avelo is doing ok.

I do think they are experimenting with random routes in the West (PVU/SBD) along with the CRW selection in the East. Aside from those...not sure the balance are "just picking routes at random". Specific to CRW....MX received lots of incentive money that should mitigate the risk for a year or two.

TexasAirCorp

Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:33 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:

That’s a fantastic job compared to MX’s $100 million loss. Load wise XP is doing far better than MX.

proudavgeek

Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:43 pm

Any idea when they will come to Philadelphia/South NJ/Delaware area? If they don't want to fly from PHL, they can fly from ACY, Trenton NJ or ILG airports. All three offer lower competition than PHL.

Cheers!

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:45 pm

Good luck with Avelo. MX is not really comparable and you obviously hold them in low regard.

On other post suggested CRW might be speculative choice for MX...today MX announced 2x CRW-MCO for 4 flights per week and some on 220. Reverts back to 2 per week in mid August.

TexasAirCorp

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:00 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Good luck with Avelo. MX is not really comparable and you obviously hold them in low regard.

On other post suggested CRW might be speculative choice for MX...today MX announced 2x CRW-MCO for 4 flights per week and some on 220. Reverts back to 2 per week in mid August.

Not necessarily, I’d love for MX to succeed however I just can’t see how they can work long term right now.

Interesting news about CRW. If anything, I think they may stand a chance at doing something good there if they can get some decent routes going.

freakyrat

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:35 pm

MX seems to being good in the Charter business with the smaller sized sports teams like NCAA Basketball, Hockey, Baseball and Lacrosse teams. Especially with Notre Dame, Duke, North Carolina and Wake Forest.

yoshoward12

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:43 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
yoshoward12 wrote:

I do think they are experimenting with random routes in the West (PVU/SBD) along with the CRW selection in the East. Aside from those...not sure the balance are "just picking routes at random". Specific to CRW....MX received lots of incentive money that should mitigate the risk for a year or two.

I mean both carriers receive incentive packages that help with risk, but my main issue is the lack of clear strategy from Breeze. It creates complexities with maintenance and scheduling with bases all over the place. I’m not saying they will be an abject failure but I feel like they are too aggressive and not as calculated as Avelo in terms of expansion.

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:44 pm

Manderson12 wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

That’s a fantastic job compared to MX’s $100 million loss. Load wise XP is doing far better than MX.
I tell you what, there is a lot more cities and flyers clamoring for MX to come to their airport than Avelo. MX and and Avelo are two different types of airlines, with different strategies, and so its meaningless to compare the two.

[b]Totally agree. MX serves destinations with population of 75M+ in 34 locations vs 35M+ in 33 locations. MX is building a National Route Structure. Avelo is building a Western Route Structure and an Eastern Route Structure.
[/b]

stlgph

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:46 pm

The number of social media followers and the potential number of those solely based off of combined populations of cities served by said airline is a moot point.

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:51 pm

yoshoward12 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
yoshoward12 wrote:

I mean both carriers receive incentive packages that help with risk, but my main issue is the lack of clear strategy from Breeze. It creates complexities with maintenance and scheduling with bases all over the place. I’m not saying they will be an abject failure but I feel like they are too aggressive and not as calculated as Avelo in terms of expansion.

MX has 7 bases; Avelo has 5 bases. MX has 15 E-Jets and 22 A220s; Avelo has 737 only; MX flies to 34 destinations including cross country; Avelo flies to 33 destinations and longest route is not cross country. MX is building a national airline; Avelo is building a regional airline.

Both carriers could be successful if they stick to their strategies....but think Avelo might need to adjust strategy for longer term....

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:53 pm

stlgph wrote:
The number of social media followers and the potential number of those solely based off of combined populations of cities served by said airline is a moot point.

Huh? It is totally relevant. A city with 1M people will have 2x the number of social media users than a 500k city. The only way that would no make sense is if the smaller city had bots posting on its behalf.

stlgph

Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:02 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Huh? It is totally relevant. A city with 1M people will have 2x the number of social media users than a 500k city. The only way that would no make sense is if the smaller city had bots posting on its behalf.

It's not relevant at all.

Right now, Breeze has 10.1K followers on Twitter.
Avelo has 6.957 followers on Twitter.

Together that's 17,057 users which are doing one thing....benefitting Elon Musk.

Breeze can have 100 million followers and Avelo can still be at 6.957 ....but if 0 of them from the Breeze page are coming over to the website and purchasing Breeze products and just 1 one of Avelo's followers comes off the page and buys a ticket, guess what.....

TerminalD

Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:10 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
yoshoward12 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

MX has 7 bases; Avelo has 5 bases. MX has 15 E-Jets and 22 A220s; Avelo has 737 only; MX flies to 34 destinations including cross country; Avelo flies to 33 destinations and longest route is not cross country. MX is building a national airline; Avelo is building a regional airline.

Both carriers could be successful if they stick to their strategies....but think Avelo might need to adjust strategy for longer term....

According to the most recent Form 41 filings, Breeze's expenses are 2x their revenues, while Avelo's expenses are about 1.5x their revenues. Both aren't good, but Breeze is massively worse. So if anybody needs a strategy change it is Breeze.

Bigant0408

Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:54 pm

proudavgeek wrote:
Any idea when they will come to Philadelphia/South NJ/Delaware area? If they don't want to fly from PHL, they can fly from ACY, Trenton NJ or ILG airports. All three offer lower competition than PHL.

Cheers!

As a PHL native, I would love for MX to start service at Philly or surrounding airports. Since Florida is basically covered by all four airports with low fares and LLCs I just don't know what other routes they could serve unless it's transcontinental like LAX, PHX, SFO ect.

HVNHAWKHUNTER

Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:57 pm

TerminalD wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
yoshoward12 wrote:

According to the most recent Form 41 filings, Breeze's expenses are 2x their revenues, while Avelo's expenses are about 1.5x their revenues. Both aren't good, but Breeze is massively worse. So if anybody needs a strategy change it is Breeze.

Exactly but time will tell. I'm hopeful both make it. I have both here in Connecticut

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:02 pm

stlgph wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Together that's 17,057 users which are doing one thing....benefitting Elon Musk.

Breeze can have 100 million followers and Avelo can still be at 6.957 ....but if 0 of them from the Breeze page are coming over to the website and purchasing Breeze products and just 1 one of Avelo's followers comes off the page and buys a ticket, guess what.....

Huh? All things equal....a city with 1M people will use more Social media than a city with 500,000

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:05 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
yoshoward12 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

I would say Breeze having a split fleet rather than “737 only” is probably not an advantage. Twice the cost for fewer seats.

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:06 pm

TerminalD wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
yoshoward12 wrote:

You are not comparing apples to apples. First off...the filing for MX is thru 12/31/22; Avelo is thru 9/30/22. Second, MX is operating a more expensive route structure than is Avelo with more aircraft.

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:08 pm

TonyClifton wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
yoshoward12 wrote:

I would say Breeze having a split fleet rather than “737 only” is probably not an advantage. Twice the cost for fewer seats.

I would agree on the surface...except MX has very favorable lease terms with the E-jets.

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:13 pm

Lease terms are one thing, having a split pilot group where it’s harder to shift flying/hours/staffing around due to limitations is another thing.

aerace

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:32 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
proudavgeek wrote:

Cheers!

As a PHL native, I would love for MX to start service at Philly or surrounding airports. Since Florida is basically covered by all four airports with low fares and LLCs I just don't know what other routes they could serve unless it's transcontinental like LAX, PHX, SFO ect.

I'm not sure the strategy is there. The focus on the eastern side of the country seems to be avoid the major cities. No service to PHL, BOS, LGA/JFK/EWR, BWI/DCA/IAD, MIA/FLL, ATL, ORD/MDW, etc. It would be nice but I think it would have to be reactionary, like the mid-tier cities aren't cutting it for them and they decide to go all in on couple larger metros (kinda like what WN did at PHL in the early/mid 00s).

stlgph

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:35 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

Huh? All things equal....a city with 1M people will use more Social media than a city with 500,000

You are missing the point. Social media users mean zilch to a company's bottom line unless they're coming off the social media page and buying the product.

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:50 pm

If you are providing stats that show how many social media actually go to buy a Tix on Mx or Avelo....I stand corrected....otherwise...you are majoring in the minors

superjeff

Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:06 pm

tsra wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:
I would think MCI would be a viable spot? Maybe not with new terminal costs?

If they come to Kansas City MKC would be better.

MKC has size limitations on aircraft. Yes, before MCI opened in 1972 or 1973, MKC handled larger jets, up to 707's, but not anymore. And that is not likely to change. so if it is Kansas City, it's MCI or nothing, IMHO.

ASFlyer

Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:10 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
If you are providing stats that show how many social media actually go to buy a Tix on Mx or Avelo....I stand corrected....otherwise...you are majoring in the minors

You’ve provided no stats either

SQ22

Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:22 pm

Please remember to provide a link to your source when stating facts, thanks.

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:01 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area - here are the 172 largest consolidated statistical areas in the USA

Lilj4425

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:02 pm

I can’t believe we’re arguing about which airline has more social media followers.

gsoflyer

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:26 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Scoots71 wrote:
And BHM is 75% larger than Greensboro. People have a bad habit of looking at just the city of Birmingham (which is 205,000 people) instead of the entire Birmingham-Hoover MSA plus Tuscaloosa MSA (which for some unknown reason is not considered part of the Birmingham MSA).

Actually BHM is only 75% the size of GSO (not 75% larger lol), since you take the liberty of adding the outlying areas.

BHM CSA: 1,350,646
GSO CSA: 1,720,328

While true, 1/3 of the GSO CSA easily bleeds to RDU and another easily bleeds to CLT. Moreover, Harrisburg has an added benefit of a higher Median Family Income and being a state capital.

BOSman

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:28 pm

yoshoward12 wrote:

I agree 100%. I cannot figure out why for the life of me they chose CHS, ORF, and to a lesser extent BDL as bases. The only reason PVU is a base is sitting in the corner office, of course. TPA and MSY are big enough destinations and are popular for conferences, and PVD can get plenty of Boston-area traffic.

Are there routes out of CHS, ORF, and BDL that should do well? Sure, but if you have to fly routes with almost no demand to bring the plane back to these cities it's inefficient. Of the 20 routes they fly out of CHS, only 9 have more than 75 PDEW. It would be 10, but I'm assuming that the 84 PDEW going to the Cleveland Metropolitan Area are predominantly using CLE and not CAK. David Neeleman was quoted by Simpleflying that he thinks routes with even 10 PDEW can be stimulated, but I think that only works in certain circumstances; I've heard BOS-LGB had only 10 PDEW before B6 jumped on it and it grew because so many passengers came over from LAX. So I'm sure the nine smaller markets are repositioning flights.

SurfandSnow wrote:
ISP-LAX?!? Surely after HPN-LAX failed, Breeze will stick with more logical choices from ISP like JAX, RSW, perhaps even VRB rather than losing money on something that would never make sense when a plethora of LAX services are available and established from nearby JFK.

As with HPN, most pax will not hesitate to drive/ride to the nearby major airport for their longer haul travels. It's really only for shorter haul stuff where the convenience of the local airport is appreciated and supported. WN certainly doesn't bother to serve LAS or even MDW nonstop from ISP anymore, after all. LAX would never work.

I disagree. HPN has a lot of NIMBY-related restrictions that ISP doesn't. ISP is in a similar boat that PVD is in: millions of people in its catchment who would much rather fly out of there but don't have a nonstop flight to cities like LAX because the other carriers decided that they'd just get the same passenger at JFK or BOS.

usflyer msp wrote:
MX is supposed to cater to leisure travellers with frequencies and non-stop flights but how much leisure traffic is there between Islip and Pittsburgh or Providence and Columbus? There has to be some volume for their model to have a chance.

The word leisure gets used a bit loosely IMO. When I hear "leisure traveler" I'm thinking tourists, not VFR traffic or people travelling for vacation. NYC-PIT has 660 PDEW and Boston Area-CMH has 287 PDEW. I don't know how much of that is business traffic who need to get to New York or Boston proper, but if they can get enough pax to use ISP or PVD to fly to PIT or CMH, more power to them! ISP and PVD are convenient enough to New York and Boston that if a passenger can get a cheap enough fare they might use them and take the train the rest of the way. I've seen a few pax at the PVD train station who were doing exactly that.

aerace wrote:
I'm not sure the strategy is there. The focus on the eastern side of the country seems to be avoid the major cities. No service to PHL, BOS, LGA/JFK/EWR, BWI/DCA/IAD, MIA/FLL, ATL, ORD/MDW, etc. It would be nice but I think it would have to be reactionary, like the mid-tier cities aren't cutting it for them and they decide to go all in on couple larger metros (kinda like what WN did at PHL in the early/mid 00s).

I think those will come later, and likely from smaller airports like OAK, SJC, LGB, BUR, etc. I think there's a good niche for that. A route like PVD-BUR would be tougher than PVD-LAX or BUR-BOS, which is likely why they are sticking to the major airports out west and the secondary airports in the east for now.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:13 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area - here are the 172 largest consolidated statistical areas in the USA

You wanna know how I know that list is trash.

NWA is 560k and not listed at all. Add in McDolnald Co. just across the Missouri line and its nearly 600k.

This also gives a better look at the more realistic catchment area for MEM(not yet a Breeze City)

The Memphis–City Combined Statistical Area, TN–MS–AR (CSA) is the commercial and cultural hub of The Mid-South or Ark-Miss-Tenn. The census-defined combined statistical area covers ten counties in three states – Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas. As of census 2010 the MSA had a population of 1,324,108.[2] The Forrest City Micropolitan area was added to the Memphis area in 2012 to form the Memphis–Forrest City Combined Statistical area and had a population of 1,369,548 according to census estimates.[3] The greater Mid-South area as a whole has a population of 2.4 million according to 2013 census estimates.[4] This area is covered by Memphis local news channels and includes the Missouri Bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, West Tennessee, and North Mississippi.[

Bluegrass60

Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:16 am

It is from Census Bureau.

lat41

Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:20 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

Some of the MSAs comprising the top few ranking CSAs are larger than many of the CSA further down the list. Some of the CSAs are far flung and disparate and MSAs would be more accurate a measure.

ASFlyer

Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:00 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

That doesn’t mean anything. You’ve got no proof that social media followers is directly related to the size of a particular region.

BA744PHX

Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:39 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

You wanna know how I know that list is trash.

NWA is 560k and not listed at all. Add in McDolnald Co. just across the Missouri line and its nearly 600k.

This also gives a better look at the more realistic catchment area for MEM(not yet a Breeze City)

The Memphis–City Combined Statistical Area, TN–MS–AR (CSA) is the commercial and cultural hub of The Mid-South or Ark-Miss-Tenn. The census-defined combined statistical area covers ten counties in three states – Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas. As of census 2010 the MSA had a population of 1,324,108.[2] The Forrest City Micropolitan area was added to the Memphis area in 2012 to form the Memphis–Forrest City Combined Statistical area and had a population of 1,369,548 according to census estimates.[3] The greater Mid-South area as a whole has a population of 2.4 million according to 2013 census estimates.[4] This area is covered by Memphis local news channels and includes the Missouri Bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, West Tennessee, and North Mississippi.[

The list is legit, data comes from census and MSA & CSA areas are defined by the government. Your data of 2.4 million is incorrect

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos