Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PVD757

Re: Breeze Airways - News and Discussion - 2023

Thu May 25, 2023 6:38 pm

Breeze is upping PVD-RDU from twice weekly to 3 weekly in August and then to 5 weekly in September. Looks like these additions are all same plane to and from MSY.

enterusername

Thu May 25, 2023 7:17 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:

They do quite a bit of online ads, I see their ads on IG all of the time.

Breeze likes to call themselves a "Tech Company that runs an airline", which is why their social media presence is the majority of their ads. The problem is a large chunk of the country doesnt do social media much.

TexasAirCorp

Thu May 25, 2023 10:57 pm

enterusername wrote:
Breeze likes to call themselves a "Tech Company that runs an airline", which is why their social media presence is the majority of their ads. The problem is a large chunk of the country doesnt do social media much.

If they'd launched in San Francisco, a 'tech company' airline might pull in a few punters, however most of Breeze's key cities have older populations that couldn't give a toss about an airline being 'techy'. Sounds an awful lot like WeWork...

Plus, I'd expect a 'tech company' airline to have a much better website/app, or to at least have WiFi on their entire fleet.

flightsimer

Fri May 26, 2023 2:19 am

nkops wrote:
I noticed the MCO-SNA flight has been making stops in TUL enroute a lot lately. Is this due to an A220 being out of service, or is this more of a crew issue? Todays flight is 5 hours late with a TUL stop added.

It’s been flown by an E190 on Odd dates westbound, which does not have the range for MCO-SNA. I believe but I’m not 100% sure it’s an aircraft availability issue.

TexasAirCorp

Fri May 26, 2023 11:31 am

The yet-to-commence ISP-RDU route has already been removed from sale after September 3rd, unclear whether it’s been permanently axed or just converted to summer seasonal (if the latter is the case, it would be an unusually early end however).

Seems odd they wouldn’t give winter service a go seeing as Frontier only operates the route seasonally.

LBBflyer

Fri May 26, 2023 11:44 am

flightsimer wrote:
nkops wrote:
I noticed the MCO-SNA flight has been making stops in TUL enroute a lot lately. Is this due to an A220 being out of service, or is this more of a crew issue? Todays flight is 5 hours late with a TUL stop added.

It’s been flown by an E190 on Odd dates westbound, which does not have the range for MCO-SNA. I believe but I’m not 100% sure it’s an aircraft availability issue.

It looks like both N213BZ and N218BZ have been down for the past couple of days. N218BZ is scheduled to fly SNA-PIT this afternoon (5/26), so maybe they will be back on track. Airbus isn't doing them any favors, but they continue to run razor thin on the A220 fleet.

FLYKTPA

Fri May 26, 2023 12:00 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
The yet-to-commence ISP-RDU route has already been removed from sale after September 3rd, unclear whether it’s been permanently axed or just converted to summer seasonal (if the latter is the case, it would be an unusually early end however).

Seems odd they wouldn’t give winter service a go seeing as Frontier only operates the route seasonally.

That cut screams seasonal suspension. Cold to cold flying like that makes zero sense to offer during the winter.

enterusername

Fri May 26, 2023 1:59 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
enterusername wrote:

If they'd launched in San Francisco, a 'tech company' airline might pull in a few punters, however most of Breeze's key cities have older populations that couldn't give a toss about an airline being 'techy'. Sounds an awful lot like WeWork...

Plus, I'd expect a 'tech company' airline to have a much better website/app, or to at least have WiFi on their entire fleet.

No one ever said it makes sense. But nevertheless, that's what Breeze likes to "call themselves". Yes their app sucks. Their website isnt great. Their wifi at this point is nonexistent. But boy they really like to think of themselves as one, especially their marketing department.

Yet another example of a disconnect from airline management and their customers.

FF630

Fri May 26, 2023 8:22 pm

Are the flights to LAX from Eastern cities like CHS, LAS, JAX, ORF running reliably and full ? Friend recently did JAX-LAS-JAX , said planes were full and on time. Reliability must improve, it's been hit or miss.

FF630

Fri May 26, 2023 8:22 pm

Are the flights to LAX from Eastern cities like CHS, LAS, JAX, ORF running reliably and full ? Friend recently did JAX-LAS-JAX , said planes were full and on time. Reliability must improve, it's been hit or miss.

FLALEFTY

Fri May 26, 2023 9:40 pm

nkops wrote:

Here's your answer. MX was using an E190 on MCO-TUL-SNA on Tuesday and Thursday this week. They are back to using the BCS3 today.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MXY ... /KTUL/KSNA

F9Animal

Fri May 26, 2023 11:25 pm

LAXintl wrote:
The Airline Observer has a story on Breeze with an interview with president Tom Doxey.

In it he mentions how Breeze is aggressive in trying out and exiting markets that under perform and won't sit or nurse them for extended periods.

"We are not just going to let things go on and on and on, because we don't have the luxury of doing that," Doxey said. "But there's no defined time. It's not like there's a three month check-in point with a hurdle, and if it doesn't hit it, then it’s gone. It is much more nuanced."
"If every single market that you go into is a success, you're probably not being as creative as you should be,” he said.

The interview also covers how they are testing "Breeze-Thru" one-stop flights and offering connections.

"We're dipping a toe in to see: will this be beneficial enough that it is worth the added complexity?" Doxey said. "It's not an easy thing to do. You think, 'Oh, people get off, they get on, and you connect the bag.’ No. What happens when you misconnect? There are these things that, until you get into it, you don't realize how complex it is.”

Link (paywall)
https://www.theairlineobserver.com/p/br ... surprising

Seems Breeze is very much in the learning stages and trying to define its model and place and in market.

I think most of us knew they would have to test markets and see what works. It's definitely going to take some time for them to settle, and get the formula right. I think it's safe to say that investors knew this from the start. Breeze isn't going away, and it appears they are here to stay.

RDUDDJI

Sat May 27, 2023 2:10 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:

VX/AS also couldn't make SFO-RDU work, I know it was tried both as a day flight and redeye eastbound.

It worked for VX, just not for AS after the acquisition. Doesn't make much sense in the AS network. Also when UA started flying it 2x as they were pre-covid, it likely made it too thin for another carrier with no hub on either end.

ASFlyer

Sat May 27, 2023 6:31 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
WkndWanderer wrote:

VX/AS also couldn't make SFO-RDU work, I know it was tried both as a day flight and redeye eastbound.

It worked for VX, just not for AS after the acquisition. Doesn't make much sense in the AS network. Also when UA started flying it 2x as they were pre-covid, it likely made it too thin for another carrier with no hub on either end.

VX never flew to RDU until after the acquisition. They added it before the actual merger of the two certificates but after the actual acquisition by AS.

mesasurf

Tue May 30, 2023 11:40 pm

Does anyone know what’s going on with Breeze in SNA? Are PIT, CMH, CVG, gone? Also I hear the only reason they’ve added PVU-SNA 2x daily only a few times a week is that they are in danger of losing slots. Can anyone confirm this?

sprxUSA

Wed May 31, 2023 1:04 am

...ya mean 2x a day a few times a week? ;)

ifIHadWings

Wed May 31, 2023 7:13 am

nkops wrote:

I was on a Breeze flight May 19 out of MCO, and while there, a set of pilots arrived to fly a BC3 to MLB for repairs due to a ramp rash type accident the day before which damaged the plane. (The gate agent said something about either the plane hitting a set of stairs or a set of stairs being driven into the plane.)

My flight was delayed 20 hours (and switched from a BC3 to an E190) after an issue where the tug driver drove the tow bar into the nose gear (creating quite a thud) after push back. There wasn't an approved inspection procedure to return the plane to service that night (although the same plane was flown MCO to SNA the next afternoon, so I guess something was developed.) So that day, Breeze had two BC3s with unexpected maintenance issues, although one of those was back in service in a day. That seemed be a likely cause of the swap of an E190 flying SNA-TUL-MCO for a while instead of a BC3 flying SNA-MCO. By the way, it looks like they hired Swissport at MCO to perform ground handling.

Oh, and because of the 20 hour delay, they e-mailed the contact person for each booked passenger, suggested that people who needed a hotel for the night should book their own and submit the bill electronically to Breeze for a refund of up to $125 for two people sharing the room. (With a warning to not expect the refund for about 4 weeks.) They don't have staff (locally or remotely) to book hotel rooms in such cases. They also offered $125 in Breeze points to each passenger (but you have to set up a frequent flier account with them to get that). Due to the swap of aircraft type, they reassigned many seats but did not refund the optional seat selection fee unless you asked and then only if you were downgraded to a lower class of service (like wider seat to standard, or extra legroom to standard). If you didn't like your automatic re-seat, they were charging a second fee to select a different seat.

Delta28L

Wed May 31, 2023 8:51 am

mesasurf wrote:
Does anyone know what’s going on with Breeze in SNA? Are PIT, CMH, CVG, gone? Also I hear the only reason they’ve added PVU-SNA 2x daily only a few times a week is that they are in danger of losing slots. Can anyone confirm this?

All I know is that PIT is gone with the promise of the SNA flight coming back next year (Don’t really believe that). The PIT flight is switching over to LAX.

trueblew

Wed May 31, 2023 12:34 pm

ifIHadWings wrote:
nkops wrote:

I was on a Breeze flight May 19 out of MCO, and while there, a set of pilots arrived to fly a BC3 to MLB for repairs due to a ramp rash type accident the day before which damaged the plane. (The gate agent said something about either the plane hitting a set of stairs or a set of stairs being driven into the plane.)

My flight was delayed 20 hours (and switched from a BC3 to an E190) after an issue where the tug driver drove the tow bar into the nose gear (creating quite a thud) after push back. There wasn't an approved inspection procedure to return the plane to service that night (although the same plane was flown MCO to SNA the next afternoon, so I guess something was developed.) So that day, Breeze had two BC3s with unexpected maintenance issues, although one of those was back in service in a day. That seemed be a likely cause of the swap of an E190 flying SNA-TUL-MCO for a while instead of a BC3 flying SNA-MCO. By the way, it looks like they hired Swissport at MCO to perform ground handling.

Oh, and because of the 20 hour delay, they e-mailed the contact person for each booked passenger, suggested that people who needed a hotel for the night should book their own and submit the bill electronically to Breeze for a refund of up to $125 for two people sharing the room. (With a warning to not expect the refund for about 4 weeks.) They don't have staff (locally or remotely) to book hotel rooms in such cases. They also offered $125 in Breeze points to each passenger (but you have to set up a frequent flier account with them to get that). Due to the swap of aircraft type, they reassigned many seats but did not refund the optional seat selection fee unless you asked and then only if you were downgraded to a lower class of service (like wider seat to standard, or extra legroom to standard). If you didn't like your automatic re-seat, they were charging a second fee to select a different seat.

There's nothing "nice" about that customer service. Incidents happen, but the way Breeze handle the recovery is what matters. I can't see them lasting long providing a miserable recovery experience such as that.

CobaltScar

Wed May 31, 2023 1:55 pm

"nice" just means they are going to TRY to make up for all their lack of customer service with cheerful young flight attendants, but unlike 24 years ago with JetBlue, Neeleman is going to find it its a totally different world today with labor and young people can't be so easily hoodwinked into accepting culture over fair pay and work rules.

This airline is not long for this world. Slow A220 deliveries and a work force that is connected to social media and demands living wages will see to that.

TexasAirCorp

Wed May 31, 2023 2:07 pm

ifIHadWings wrote:
nkops wrote:

As much as this isn’t their fault, I’ve heard way too many similar stories of ridiculously long delays and stopovers being added to direct flights. I get things happen but Breeze seems to be getting itself involved in these things far too much.

Not providing pre-booked hotel accommodation certainly doesn’t scream ‘nice’. I remember the early days of JetBlue when even Neeleman personally would bend over backwards for his passengers during delays.

flightsimer

Wed May 31, 2023 10:51 pm

mesasurf wrote:

Breeze only has 3 slots, CVG/CMH/PIT all occupy a daily slot between the three, PVU occupy’s a daily slot as does MCO.

On SUN/MON/THUR/FRI, PVU is scheduled for a second daily flight, my guess using a fourth slot off of another carrier as there is no reduction in any other Breeze market to allow that from their own slots.

nkops

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:45 am

flightsimer wrote:
mesasurf wrote:

Breeze only has 3 slots, CVG/CMH/PIT all occupy a daily slot between the three, PVU occupy’s a daily slot as does MCO.

On SUN/MON/THUR/FRI, PVU is scheduled for a second daily flight, my guess using a fourth slot off of another carrier as there is no reduction in any other Breeze market to allow that from their own slots.

Looks all 3 are considered seasonal as they all end beginning of September.. not sure what MXY is doing with the slot after that

flightsimer

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:17 pm

nkops wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
mesasurf wrote:

Looks all 3 are considered seasonal as they all end beginning of September.. not sure what MXY is doing with the slot after that

Yes the Midwest cities are seasonal.

Their slot is going to be used for the permanent second daily PVU flight. My suspicion is that they were able to get a temporary 4th slot either from the airport or another carrier for the summer to fly the current extra 2nd daily flights on select days.

When Breeze was first awarded the slots, they got 3 but were asking for 4 and the article stated they were top in line if a 4th became available.

diverdave

Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:57 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
This airline is not long for this world. Slow A220 deliveries and a work force that is connected to social media and demands living wages will see to that.

Yet despite all of the contempt shown in this thread, Breeze has been operating now for two years. :bigthumbsup:

David

mesasurf

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:30 pm

diverdave wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

Yet despite all of the contempt shown in this thread, Breeze has been operating now for two years. :bigthumbsup:

David

…by loosing massive amounts of money.

Manderson12

Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:23 am

The word is losing. Most airlines do lose money as a start-up. But the fact is, it's not your money or mine, so whoever is investing must have some belief that they will be profitable in time. You doomsayers keep announcing their demise, but they keep announcing new routes with airports continuing to clamor for their services.

BA744PHX

Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:08 am

Manderson12 wrote:
The word is losing. Most airlines do lose money as a start-up. But the fact is, it's not your money or mine, so whoever is investing must have some belief that they will be profitable in time. You doomsayers keep announcing their demise, but they keep announcing new routes with airports continuing to clamor for their services.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here, for many of those new routes, there have been equally discontinued ones. Clamoring for their service is a major exaggeration

Manderson12

Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:14 am

You could say that about most airlines as start -ups. Until they find their niche, most start-ups have trials and errors. Frontier still is a dart- board artist airline, but yet they are successful and remain very relevant in the airline industry. And yes, the word is clamoring, most of the airports MX serves, both large and small have offered some type of incentive package for service, so yes, they are seeking out MX for service and that's ok.

ASFlyer

Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:42 am

Manderson12 wrote:

with all respect, airports "clamoring for service" from a new airline is normal. Medium sized airports everywhere are basically clamoring for any new or old airline to start service. Breeze just happens to look for airports that are offering subsidies to lower their costs. It's not telling in any way that airlines offer them subsidies. Again, most airports will offer some sort of subsidy for new service from airlines that are new to them or even airlines that have been flying there already. Thats what they do.

Lilj4425

Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:10 am

Manderson12 wrote:

They’re only announcing new cities that are offering them tax incentives and subsidies. Once those run out, they will leave those same cities. You honestly think Charleston, WV will be successful? I certainly don’t.

Manderson12

Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:44 pm

It all depends on where they fly from Charleston. MCO, I believe will be successful flying from Charleston WV, Spirit flew that route for years until they became a target to be bought out by JetBlue. I don't' really know the Charleston WV market that well, so other markets I can't speak on. I will say with Breeze making it through two years and still growing, that rumors of it's demise is greatly exaggerated.

trueblew

Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:43 pm

Manderson12 wrote:
It all depends on where they fly from Charleston. MCO, I believe will be successful flying from Charleston WV, Spirit flew that route for years until they became a target to be bought out by JetBlue. I don't' really know the Charleston WV market that well, so other markets I can't speak on. I will say with Breeze making it through two years and still growing, that rumors of it's demise is greatly exaggerated.

Ah, so the void created by the JetBlue/Spirit tie-up will be backfilled by other ULCC capacity? That's not what the anti-merger fanbois are claiming.

TexasAirCorp

Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:56 pm

Manderson12 wrote:

What does B6 trying to buy NK have to do with them dropping CRW?

The whole CRW venture again appears to be stimulated more by incentive offerings rather than potential demand. It's a beautiful place to visit, however it's a little off the beaten track for the average tourist, and whilst it's got a few universities that could stimulate demand, the area itself has a population of less than 50,000 people, typically not enough to support the grand future plans that MX has published. MCO-CRW has been tried by a good few carriers over the past few years (AirTran, PEOPLExpress and Spirit, unaware of any others?), none of which have ever done overly well. There's certainly a market there, however I don't think its really big enough for what MX intends to do. If it was, someone like Allegiant or Avelo would've already gone for it.

The questions that have been raised on here about Breeze's strategy and viability in the long term I've also seen in a good few technical presses over the past few months. I don't think anyone on here or anywhere has claimed or 'rumoured' MX is imminently about to collapse.

Manderson12

Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:15 pm

What the JetBlue merger may have to do with NK dropping CRW and a few other airports is that those markets do not fit into JetBlue's type of route structure. In a merger, cities that fit one airline may not fit another, such as what happened with the Airtran/Southwest merger. JetBlue predominately serves larger coastal markets N/S and E/W. The Metro population of Charleston WV is over 250,000, not 50,000, so there may be a market for a few other cities, just not on a daily basis. That is MX structure..

ty97

Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:28 pm

Apologies if this is already well understood here, but I'm not clear on Breeze's fleet plan. I know they planned to be a 220-300 airline but then leased some used E190/E195 to start service before their 220s arrive. What's the medium term plan for the E190/E195? Will they go away as more 220s arrive or is Breeze planning to keep the E190/E195s until end of life?

TexasAirCorp

Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:41 pm

ty97 wrote:
Apologies if this is already well understood here, but I'm not clear on Breeze's fleet plan. I know they planned to be a 220-300 airline but then leased some used E190/E195 to start service before their 220s arrive. What's the medium term plan for the E190/E195? Will they go away as more 220s arrive or is Breeze planning to keep the E190/E195s until end of life?

To be honest, I don’t think anyone on here really understands it either.

As far as I’m aware, the Embraers will now remain in the fleet at least in the medium term, operating alongside the A220s. As much as the latter are great, they’re very expensive to operate on short routes, which I think MX may have initially overlooked and have only just realised, hence the plan seems to be to have the Embraers focus on shorter routes and leave the A220s to operate transcons and a few slightly longer regional services.

mooseofspruce

Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:16 pm

Last week I was contacted by Breeze social media ahead of the CHS-CRW inaugural, and how they were going to plan a day trip in the area around CRW in the time the aircraft operated CRW-MCO-CRW, for what amounted to avgeeks, journalists, and employees. There was no need to pay to book the actual CHS-CRW-CHS flights, rather fill out a Microsoft Office form in a fashion not unlike what's been mentioned here, and it appeared to be available to the public provided they were able to make it to CHS on their own and hotel accomodations were not provided (we were welcome to bring a guest), though in my case and various others who attended, Breeze comped their flights in and out of CHS (they comped my SFO-RIC-CHS and CHS-RIC-SFO flights before and after the event, for instance).

I imagine this was a grant/incentive/collaboration with WV tourism since we were driven to the New River Gorge National Park and did the bridge walk, before being treated to a lunch by a local chef, and then a media event with the WV Governor. This was beyond just taking the flight and back, with Breeze and WV going all-in with the marketing and basically selling WV to us as a trip idea and to come back and revisit. WV tourism says this is a 7-year partnership with the airline, so we'll see where that goes

While the flight operated CHS-CRW-MCO without a hitch, it was delayed in MCO before flying back (what I'd heard after deplaning was it may have been hydraulic-related), so WV tourism took us around to a few more places while waiting for it to fly back to CRW and take us to CHS after.

As much as the comped flights were appreciated (personally, this has never happened to me before), there were a few difficulties with communication not unlike the long waits for replies back from whatever customer service messaging platform you contact them on, since I learned that Breeze marketing can no longer just book flights for media or anyone they're inviting and emails have to go to other departments, along with the wait. After over a couple of days of silence after the initial offer, the bookings for my flights to and from CHS from SFO and CRW only appeared at 3-4 AM, ahead of the first SFO-RIC-CHS flight departing that noon, so it was all thrown together rather last-minute. The bookings were the base "Nice" fare but bags were waived as though it were the next "Nicer" fare, although staff at CHS needed a supervisor to override these as it otherwise prevented me from continuing without paying $50 for my carry-on bag, or $60 to change my seats (I was advised by Breeze marketing that seats could be changed at the gate at no cost), so there's a bit of disconnect with this "centralized" system they've got going on. The company they contract at SFO (Unifi) in comparison had zero issue doing this.

As for why me specifically, they seem to consider me media/an influencer after attending their inaugural SFO-SBD last year (personally, I would argue otherwise, but to their credit they seem well-connected with and take care of their fans) and being the "ceremonial" first deplaned pax, in fact they contacted me about this whole trip offer after booking my now-third SFO-SBD flight with them for later this month.

Aside that, the 36 Breeze Ascent (F) seats between SFO and RIC in both directions looked to either completely booked or there were at most 2-3 open seats. A few of the F seats were taken between RIC and CHS but otherwise on both segments in both directions, there were more than several Y seats that were free, with most of the pax in F appearing to fly just between SFO and RIC. It was N203BZ on both my transcon flights between SFO and CHS, which while I knew did not have the WiFi that N218BZ has, it didn't have the streaming IFE either, whereas the E195 (N145BZ) that did the CRW flights the next day did have the IFE. My flight from SFO was delayed by an hour and thensome since while the aircraft's CHS-RIC departed on time, according to the captain (who also operated the CHS-RIC-SFO flight I took home) there was a gate hold situation at RIC. Flight home a couple days later in contrast got in almost a half hour early.

JoseSalazar

Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:35 am

TexasAirCorp wrote:
ty97 wrote:

To be honest, I don’t think anyone on here really understands it either.

As far as I’m aware, the Embraers will now remain in the fleet at least in the medium term, operating alongside the A220s. As much as the latter are great, they’re very expensive to operate on short routes, which I think MX may have initially overlooked and have only just realised, hence the plan seems to be to have the Embraers focus on shorter routes and leave the A220s to operate transcons and a few slightly longer regional services.

At least when I sat through a presentation from the company pre-covid (ie when they were in their infancy), the long term plan was always to have E195s to operate sub 2 hour segments, low utilization, using used aircraft, running out and backs (or two out and backs) per day for all the crews, so no scheduled overnights, akin to allegiant’s model. The A220s were to fly higher utilization schedules and all the legs that were over 2 hours, with trips scheduled for crews at 2-3 days each. The notion that the e195s were temporary in their business model is just not consistent with what I heard, straight from the horses mouth. They were always part of the long term plan for shorter segments; and why their management believed (believes?) WiFi/entertainment and charging wasn’t necessary for such short segments, but the a220s would have power and eventually WiFi and wifi based BYOD IFE. They were supposedly exploring trying to get every used 195 they could get their hands on and growing that fleet to 100+.

E190s were never part of the original plan because their casm just doesn’t work with that business model. But the lease they got during covid made them reassess that and the numbers worked with that lease agreement. But from what I’m hearing from friends there, the 190s don’t seem to do much other than charters these days, and I question how long they’ll keep those around. But like everything, business plans are constantly changing reacting to changes in the landscape. Just like jetblue has gone back and forth with the 190s from getting rid of them, to keeping 30 indefinitely, back to getting rid of them asap, I could see breeze doing the same and changing plans as the landscape changes.

mooseofspruce

Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:23 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
They were always part of the long term plan for shorter segments; and why their management believed (believes?) WiFi/entertainment and charging wasn’t necessary for such short segments, but the a220s would have power and eventually WiFi and wifi based BYOD IFE. They were supposedly exploring trying to get every used 195 they could get their hands on and growing that fleet to 100+.

E190s were never part of the original plan because their casm just doesn’t work with that business model. But the lease they got during covid made them reassess that and the numbers worked with that lease agreement. But from what I’m hearing from friends there, the 190s don’t seem to do much other than charters these days, and I question how long they’ll keep those around. But like everything, business plans are constantly changing reacting to changes in the landscape. Just like jetblue has gone back and forth with the 190s from getting rid of them, to keeping 30 indefinitely, back to getting rid of them asap, I could see breeze doing the same and changing plans as the landscape changes.

Interesting post, seems their stance on IFE has also changed if a bit inconsistently applied, since in practice/first-hand experience some E190s and some E195s have the streaming IFE, but not all of them. For the A220s I imagine at least N218BZ has both WiFi and the BYOD IFE, but the others don't, or at least any I've personally seen through SFO since the gate agents have advised downloading content ahead of boarding with the lack of any connectivity or IFE onboard. As far as power is concerned, yes, the Embraers don't have any but the A220s do.

mooseofspruce wrote:
N145BZ

Typo, this was actually N140BZ.

Noahjk

Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:23 am

I was at JAX today and counted 5 Breeze E190s. Not at gates but at hard stands. I don’t think JAX has this many sports charters going on. Is there an Embraer maintenance facility at JAX? Or what is the reason?

cactus13

Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:42 am

Noahjk wrote:
I was at JAX today and counted 5 Breeze E190s. Not at gates but at hard stands. I don’t think JAX has this many sports charters going on. Is there an Embraer maintenance facility at JAX? Or what is the reason?

They are operating a temporary "summer" base from JAX. 5 planes and crews TDY from other bases.

TexasAirCorp

Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:17 am

cactus13 wrote:
Noahjk wrote:

They are operating a temporary "summer" base from JAX. 5 planes and crews TDY from other bases.

Rumour has it JAX will become a permanent base from winter along with MCO.

TexasAirCorp

Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:18 am

Duplicate

TexasAirCorp

Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:25 pm

Another round of moronic route additions from Breeze:
RDU-LAS (3x weekly)
RDU-TPA (3x weekly)
PWM-MCO (2x weekly - winter seasonal)

Breeze will be the fourth airline flying to LAS and the fifth airline to TPA from RDU, and will compete with Frontier on PWM-MCO.

The strategy of 'unserved routes' seems to now be well and truly lost. I fail to see any reason as to why there's sufficient lack of supply in any of those markets to warrant a profitable Breeze entry. Even Avelo isn't doing overly well on RDU-TPA. Breeze is in essence now a regional airline that flies completely random routes, essentially Elite Airways but with fancier marketing.

mesasurf

Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:34 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
RDU-LAS (3x weekly)
RDU-TPA (3x weekly)

Breeze will be the fourth airline flying to LAS and the fifth airline to TPA from RDU, and will compete with Frontier on PWM-MCO.

The strategy of 'unserved routes' seems to now be well and truly lost. I fail to see any reason as to why there's sufficient lack of supply in any of those markets to warrant a profitable Breeze entry. Even Avelo isn't doing overly well on RDU-TPA. Breeze is in essence now a regional airline that flies completely random routes, essentially Elite Airways but with fancier marketing.

I agree. There’s a reason those ‘unserved routes’ never had an airline flying them.

These additions show clears sign of desperation for Breeze.

flightsimer

Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:31 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
RDU-LAS (3x weekly)
RDU-TPA (3x weekly)

Frontier flies PWM-MCO Saturday only. Breeze will be four weekly, two non-stops and 2 same plane thru flights.

Additionally, the RDU adds are not individual routes. It’s TPA-RDU-LAS, which will bring the TPA-LAS service up to 10 weekly.

Manderson12

Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:51 pm

flightsimer wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
RDU-LAS (3x weekly)
RDU-TPA (3x weekly)

Frontier flies PWM-MCO Saturday only. Breeze will be four weekly, two non-stops and 2 same plane thru flights.

Additionally, the RDU adds are not individual routes. It’s TPA-RDU-LAS, which will bring the TPA-LAS service up to 10 weekly.
I am happy you rebutted the previous forumers who have no clue about MX strategy. Common sense would tell someone that if you are going to operate 80 A-220 aircraft, at some point you are going to go to have to go head to head with other airlines. If the choice is between legacies and MX many fliers are choosing MX due to price and quality of their aircraft if the schedules fit. I am sure that is what Breeze have discovered.

FLYKTPA

Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:44 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
RDU-LAS (3x weekly)
RDU-TPA (3x weekly)

Northeast to Florida in the winter is the opposite of moronic…

TPA-RDU keeps aircraft flowing throughout the network and helps with crew scheduling. It’s also an easy fill. Same with LAS-RDU.

airportgeek

Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:14 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
RDU-LAS (3x weekly)
RDU-TPA (3x weekly)

Northeast to Florida in the winter is the opposite of moronic…

TPA-RDU keeps aircraft flowing throughout the network and helps with crew scheduling. It’s also an easy fill. Same with LAS-RDU.

The point is that capacity is well-served already. If Breeze is wants to go head-on against the ULCCs, it definitely picked the wrong aircraft and configuration. RDU-LAS for one is stupid. I don't see how they survive flying only 3x weekly against WN, DL and F9. F9 and DL are both flying daily. Breeze don't have the scale to bring costs down low enough to deal with these competitors. Same thing with TPA-RDU. What is 3x weekly going to do against DL, AA, WN and XP. DL is flying 2x daily and everyone else is daily. To compete in leisure markets like LAS and TPA, you really need to rely on price. These are not luxury destinations where you can rely on high yields. And the US airline market is no longer one that is friendly to new airlines. I don't really see any sort of long-term game here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos