Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyPNS1

Re: Delta Air Lines Network - 2023

Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:47 pm

Magnum9 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
DL is adding a Saturday 717 flight between DTW and VPS beginning in June. Good use for a 717 when the schedule dips on Saturdays.

Curious why DL would add service to VPS in June. As someone who grew up in the FL panhandle not that far from VPS I can tell you firsthand it’s unbearable this time of year anywhere in the FL panhandle. Meanwhile, June is beautiful in Michigan and Michigan has beautiful lakes and beaches along Lake Michigan. Meanwhile, VPS is hot & humid as hell, it’s well into Hurricane season and the beaches and water start to turn horrid brown because of the constant intense afternoon thunderstorms. The season to add service for VPS is Feb-May.

I hear what you are saying, but peak season for air traffic to the Florida Panhandle is May through July. Allegiant for example has their highest volume month in July at VPS. And almost all of Allegiant’s traffic is tourists from the Midwest and northeast to VPS. It’s true for other carriers as well and true for PNS and ECP too….though ECP definitely gets a slight surge in March.

Magnum9

Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:13 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
DL is adding a Saturday 717 flight between DTW and VPS beginning in June. Good use for a 717 when the schedule dips on Saturdays.

Curious why DL would add service to VPS in June. As someone who grew up in the FL panhandle not that far from VPS I can tell you firsthand it’s unbearable this time of year anywhere in the FL panhandle. Meanwhile, June is beautiful in Michigan and Michigan has beautiful lakes and beaches along Lake Michigan. Meanwhile, VPS is hot & humid as hell, it’s well into Hurricane season and the beaches and water start to turn horrid brown because of the constant intense afternoon thunderstorms. The season to add service for VPS is Feb-May.

I hear what you are saying, but peak season for air traffic to the Florida Panhandle is May through July. Allegiant for example has their highest volume month in July at VPS. And almost all of Allegiant’s traffic is tourists from the Midwest and northeast to VPS. It’s true for other carriers as well and true for PNS and ECP too….though ECP definitely gets a slight surge in March.

Appreciate the insight. Never would have guessed Allegiant would peak in July @ VPS. If only those passengers could experience VPS Feb-May. Perhaps July it’s so cheap because the water and weather conditions are less than ideal? Just guessing…

NLINK

Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:07 pm

Magnum9 wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:

Appreciate the insight. Never would have guessed Allegiant would peak in July @ VPS. If only those passengers could experience VPS Feb-May. Perhaps July it’s so cheap because the water and weather conditions are less than ideal? Just guessing…

Panama City beach busiest times is Spring Break and Summer break. Lots of people that work in education and when kids are out of school visit then.

phatfarmlines

Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:44 pm

evank516 wrote:
Noticed LGA-DAL has been axed before it started. LAX-DAL still begins June 5.

Edit: Here's an article. LAX-DAL will now be 3x https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-cut ... las-route/

Did DL lose or never obtain a sales contract with a business (or businesses) in the downtown Dallas area? It's not like DL would cut a route like DAL-LGA because of pilot shortage.

usflyer msp

Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:55 am

NLINK wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:

Panama City beach busiest times is Spring Break and Summer break. Lots of people that work in education and when kids are out of school visit then.

The panhandle of Florida is not warm. The average high in Feb is 64. If people are going to fly to Florida Dec-Feb they are going to go to a tropical part.

NLINK

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:19 am

usflyer msp wrote:
NLINK wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:

The panhandle of Florida is not warm. The average high in Feb is 64. If people are going to fly to Florida Dec-Feb they are going to go to a tropical part.

I didn’t say anything about the panhandle of Florida being warm in Dec-Feb.

Midwestfly

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:32 pm

I flew LAN > DTW > DEN and the return last weekend, LAN <> DTW is now CRJ-900. Let's do an AMA.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 pm

Detroit must look mighty weird with so few Deuces around. Nicer from a customer point of view of course.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:58 pm

TonyClifton wrote:
Detroit must look mighty weird with so few Deuces around. Nicer from a customer point of view of course.

The duece flying really dropped off with the pandemic and never really was restored all too much.
Ironically I have to fly up to ESC next month for work and I'm on the duece.....its novelty status at this point.

Kind of like how the Saabs were around circa 2010.

umichman

Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:24 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
TonyClifton wrote:

The duece flying really dropped off with the pandemic and never really was restored all too much.
Ironically I have to fly up to ESC next month for work and I'm on the duece.....its novelty status at this point.

Kind of like how the Saabs were around circa 2010.

They were flying routes like DTW-DAY 3 - 4x daily during summer of 2021 and it seems a lot of the flying had been restored at that point. Most of the big drop-off seems to have been within the last year or so.

flyfresno

Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:29 am

usflyer msp wrote:
NLINK wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:

Come on MSP, anything above 40 is warm in February ;)

CIDFlyer

Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:09 am

While the Panhandle in winter might not be considered “warm” by some, for many in the upper Midwest the panhandle and neighboring Alabama gulf coast it’s huge for snowbirds and many friends and relatives fly down to visit and it’s a nice break from winter regardless. (I’ve done it for 25 years, this year the weather in Feb was amazing 75-80 everyday, it can be very nice).

Summertime is peak time though lots of people want that summer beach vacation. NW years ago used to have daily year round MSP service to PNS and and weekend service to DTW. That was circa mid 2000s.

evank516

Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:27 pm

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/d ... mer-travel

Route cuts out of MSP and DTW, some tags added on as well.

DTW-APN goes
DTW-IMT goes
MSP-ESC goes as well

Looks like HIB and INL flights get a tag between the two cities as well. No info from the article but I'm assuming MSP-HIB-INL.

umichman

Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:57 pm

evank516 wrote:
https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/delta-air-lines-cut-flights-summer-travel

DTW-APN goes
DTW-IMT goes
MSP-ESC goes as well

Looks like HIB and INL flights get a tag between the two cities as well. No info from the article but I'm assuming MSP-HIB-INL.

APN, IMT, and ESC are EAS airports. I wonder if these are actually getting cut, or if they will just get reloaded with next week's update.

evank516

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:05 pm

umichman wrote:
evank516 wrote:

DTW-APN goes
DTW-IMT goes
MSP-ESC goes as well

APN, IMT, and ESC are EAS airports. I wonder if these are actually getting cut, or if they will just get reloaded with next week's update.

ESC retains service from DTW, just loses MSP.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:30 pm

OO / Skywest keeps goat-roping these EAS routes out of MSP & DTW and they keep switching them between nonstops, tag-on, and round-robin flights.
They are still flying their contractual minimum weekly departures out of these EAS markets, but they keep dickering around with the service patterns primarily to eek out utilization of dwindling pilots. Its also the last "duece" flying in the DL network. (EAS from DTW, MSP, SLC).

evank516

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:43 pm

I'm curious to see what happens with WYS when the deuces go. I would imagine they'll just do a single daily E175.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:48 pm

evank516 wrote:

DTW-APN goes
DTW-IMT goes
MSP-ESC goes as well

I'm going to point out that Thrillist doesn't cite an original data source for the info in its headline: it points to the Independent and Simple Flying. We should not need to rely on another a.net poster - PSU.DTW.SCE here - to be the one actually knowing something and providing context.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:48 pm

evank516 wrote:

DTW-APN goes
DTW-IMT goes
MSP-ESC goes as well

Is APN permanent, or just due to runway construction?

evank516

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:57 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

DTW-APN goes
DTW-IMT goes
MSP-ESC goes as well

I'm going to point out that Thrillist doesn't cite an original data source for the info in its headline: it points to the Independent and Simple Flying. We should not need to rely on another a.net poster - PSU.DTW.SCE here - to be the one actually knowing something and providing context.

Checked Delta.com. DTW-APN is down as of May 8. IMT isn't dropped but its seems like a tag DTW-ESC-IMT-MSP. Even so, multiple sources are reporting Delta is cutting flights this summer.

fun2fly

Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:33 pm

evank516 wrote:
umichman wrote:
evank516 wrote:

DTW-APN goes
DTW-IMT goes
MSP-ESC goes as well

ESC retains service from DTW, just loses MSP.

They have to keep ESC because that's where you land and take a bus from when MQT is shut down for weather!

kavok

Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:53 pm

evank516 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

DTW-APN goes
DTW-IMT goes
MSP-ESC goes as well

Checked Delta.com. DTW-APN is down as of May 8. IMT isn't dropped but its seems like a tag DTW-ESC-IMT-MSP. Even so, multiple sources are reporting Delta is cutting flights this summer.

DTW-APN is absent from the current DL schedule from May8 - Aug1. I assume the Aug1 service resumption date is a placeholder at this point, depending on the runway construction duration. Would not be surprised to see that date shift, and the route come back as a tag route or other, for reasons PSU.DTW.SCE mentioned.

DL has publicly said they want all connection aircraft to have premium seats, with the comment squarely made towards remaining CR2 EAS routes. While the timeline for implementing that is less clear, pressure is definitely being put on OO to change the seating configurations of the remaining DL branded CR2 EAS routes. Whether that means OO could retrofit CR2s into a ~30 seater with C+ and/or F (i.e. mini 550), or use something else remains to be seen.

Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:01 pm

kavok wrote:
evank516 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

DTW-APN is absent from the current DL schedule from May8 - Aug1. I assume the Aug1 service resumption date is a placeholder at this point, depending on the runway construction duration. Would not be surprised to see that date shift, and the route come back as a tag route or other, for reasons PSU.DTW.SCE mentioned.

DL has publicly said they want all connection aircraft to have premium seats, with the comment squarely made towards remaining CR2 EAS routes. While the timeline for implementing that is less clear, pressure is definitely being put on OO to change the seating configurations of the remaining DL branded CR2 EAS routes. Whether that means OO could retrofit CR2s into a ~30 seater with C+ and/or F (i.e. mini 550), or use something else remains to be seen.

Could that jive with Skywests 135 operation coming?

kavok

Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:25 pm

TonyClifton wrote:
kavok wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Could that jive with Skywests 135 operation coming?

Perhaps. All I know for sure is that DL doesn’t want the current 50seat CR2 configuration (emphasis on configuration) operating as a DL connection, even if on a EAS route.

mesasurf

Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:14 pm

evank516 wrote:
I'm curious to see what happens with WYS when the deuces go. I would imagine they'll just do a single daily E175.

Or a CRJ9

evank516

Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:28 pm

mesasurf wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Or a CRJ9

I question the CR9's performance at that airport due to elevation. Field elevation is 6,649 feet MSL.

Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:16 pm

evank516 wrote:
mesasurf wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Or a CRJ9

I question the CR9's performance at that airport due to elevation. Field elevation is 6,649 feet MSL.

If a CRJ200 can do it, a 900 should manage. Worst case you take a payload hit but still carry more. 900 has slower approach speeds than a deuce anyways. 700 if you really need it.

SLCaviation

Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 pm

evank516 wrote:
mesasurf wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Or a CRJ9

Its been the rj9 before

TW870

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:21 pm

MSP-HND restarts today, which is a big deal for those of us here in MSP!

One thing I saw on another forum is that the 339 had a airworthiness directive on it for a fix related to the air conditioning packs and engine bleed valves. Previous to very recently, they were required to take off with the packs on and bleed valves open, which limits engine thrust. That problem has been resolved, and they can now take off with the packs off. This should resolve the performance issues we were seeing last summer with SLC-Europe flights making fuel stops at MSP on very hot days. It should also help with MSP-HND payload on the 339, and on MSP-ICN if they operate that with the 339 - although I remain skeptical that they will do that.

SeattleSpotter

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:45 pm

TW870 wrote:

One thing I saw on another forum is that the 339 had a airworthiness directive on it for a fix related to the air conditioning packs and engine bleed valves. Previous to very recently, they were required to take off with the packs on and bleed valves open, which limits engine thrust. That problem has been resolved, and they can now take off with the packs off. This should resolve the performance issues we were seeing last summer with SLC-Europe flights making fuel stops at MSP on very hot days. It should also help with MSP-HND payload on the 339, and on MSP-ICN if they operate that with the 339 - although I remain skeptical that they will do that.

Right now in the June schedule they have a A359. So it looks like the A339 is out on MSP-ICN.

socalflyer00

Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:19 pm

Does anyone know why DL is still utilizing pre-packaged meals for first class? I have a friend who just flew ATL-PUJ in first and both there and back customers received a pre-packaged meal. She said it was nicer than the Covid-era boxes but still a pre-packaged box. I was puzzled by this because all the flights I’ve been on recently have had standard meal service. Any thoughts?

jspams20

Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:07 pm

socalflyer00 wrote:
Does anyone know why DL is still utilizing pre-packaged meals for first class? I have a friend who just flew ATL-PUJ in first and both there and back customers received a pre-packaged meal. She said it was nicer than the Covid-era boxes but still a pre-packaged box. I was puzzled by this because all the flights I’ve been on recently have had standard meal service. Any thoughts?

Any double-catered route is still going out with the boxes.

TW870

Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:47 pm

jspams20 wrote:
socalflyer00 wrote:

Any double-catered route is still going out with the boxes.

I just had the same thing on PSP-ATL in first. Same exact box as during Covid. That is really deceptive marketing, because it still says "lunch" on the flight information tab. On my double-catered flight there was also no white wine available in any cabin since the passengers drank it all on the outbound from ATL. I used a regional upgrade certificate for the trip that I would not have used had I known about the catering, as I could basically have gotten the same thing in comfort plus and then used the certificate on a flight with full catering. Are the boxes temporary, or is this the new normal?

I notice they are also up to 78 cancels already today as of 3:45 eastern.

I am venturing to guess you might see a network trim before the summer. Things are running so hot right now I just don't see how this is sustainable in June - August.

MIflyer12

Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:52 pm

TW870 wrote:
I am venturing to guess you might see a network trim before the summer. Things are running so hot right now I just don't see how this is sustainable in June - August.

DL has made significant commitments to the financial community on capacity adds for the summer, based on planes and staff coming online. If those don't hold, there will be suits. Bet on it.

777Mech

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:48 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
TW870 wrote:

DL has made significant commitments to the financial community on capacity adds for the summer, based on planes and staff coming online. If those don't hold, there will be suits. Bet on it.

Hardly.

When you can't get airplanes from Airbus as promised, there's nothing you can do about that.

Continued supply chain issues plague all of the airlines currently.

MIflyer12

Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:30 pm

We're going to have to disagree on that, 777Mech. Revenue and earnings forecasts have to be conditioned by risks. If these risks are 'continued,' maybe the capacity projections shouldn't have been so bold. (DL only has 43 new aircraft coming this year as purchase commitments, unlike UA with 149.) Don't underestimate the willingness of aggressive shareholders to sue.

socalflyer00

Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:22 pm

Seems like they could double catered stand first class fare like most airlines. Was this an excuse pre-Covid? It’s not like it’s a 12 hour flight where stuff would sit for an extended period of time…

Perhaps DL gutted the galleys too much to allow for double catering.

With all this being said I am pretty sure I would take a DL box over a standard UA meal.

socalflyer00

Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:23 pm

Now that I am thinking about this a bit more, I flew ONT-ATL last year and the FA mentioned it was double catered but we still had standard meal service. Perhaps it’s just a logistics issue.

rjbesikof

Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:26 pm

SeattleSpotter wrote:
TW870 wrote:

Right now in the June schedule they have a A359. So it looks like the A339 is out on MSP-ICN.

Actually looks like MSP-ICN is on an A359 for the whole summer.

USAirKid

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:30 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
We're going to have to disagree on that, 777Mech. Revenue and earnings forecasts have to be conditioned by risks. If these risks are 'continued,' maybe the capacity projections shouldn't have been so bold. (DL only has 43 new aircraft coming this year as purchase commitments, unlike UA with 149.) Don't underestimate the willingness of aggressive shareholders to sue.

I’m guessing DL’s lawyers know how to work in this space pretty well. AFAIK, as long as the predictions were based on some realistic possibility getting a court to say management lied and is liable is a pretty high bar. (See Musk with the funding secured tweets about Tesla.) suing and getting a settlement does happen sometimes, but it’s rare.

Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:12 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

Only 43 new sure, but 717 and 757 reactivations and close to 30 used 739 aren’t nothing.

AdEd

Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:25 am

rjbesikof wrote:

As long as there are airspace restrictions it looks like the A359 is staying on MSP-ICN to battle those ridiculous headwinds over Japan.

By the way, tomorrow's ATL-STR post-pandemic inaugural is cancelled, with service now starting the day after. Why could that be?

DeltaMD95

Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:02 am

Speaking of the A359 MSP-ICN, what months of the year is the A359 rotated through MSP-PHX? When actively assigned, is it once daily?

TW870

Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 pm

777Mech wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
TW870 wrote:

Hardly.

When you can't get airplanes from Airbus as promised, there's nothing you can do about that.

I'm lost on this shareholder lawsuit business. Airline operations are always very volatile, and I cannot see what grounds a shareholder would sue on if they trimmed capacity by 1 or 2% to achieve better schedule reliability.

It seems that most of the cancellations happen after crew scheduling drops uncovered flying into open time hoping that pilots will pick up the trips for premium pay. But because average line values and reserve utilization are very high, fewer pilots than they hoped are picking up the trips, and the flights cancel. You really saw that with this weekend when you have the spring break rush, plus a Saturday and a Sunday where folks who had the weekend off didn't want to come in and pick up overtime. So while they had only 24 cancels Friday, they had 89 yesterday and 90 thus far today. They will probably end up cancelling about 3% of the network today. Ideally they will have more pilots trained and ready to go by summer, but the issue is that tens of thousands more block hours are also coming onto the schedule as the new hires arrive.

777Mech

Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:49 pm

[code][/code]
AdEd wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

As long as there are airspace restrictions it looks like the A359 is staying on MSP-ICN to battle those ridiculous headwinds over Japan.

By the way, tomorrow's ATL-STR post-pandemic inaugural is cancelled, with service now starting the day after. Why could that be?

Germany's transport worker strike.

maps4ltd

Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:17 pm

Why so many cancelations today? I believe the number was 70 or 80 so far today, mainly from ATL.

ikolkyo

Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:53 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Why so many cancelations today? I believe the number was 70 or 80 so far today, mainly from ATL.

Weather related

ikolkyo

Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:53 pm

I've noticed 35L aircraft operating ATL-AMS, was this planned? https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl74

Midwestindy

Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:38 pm

777Mech wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
TW870 wrote:

Hardly.

Yeah…I did a double-take reading that…

I’m not sure how trimming a couple points of capacity would even come close to the realm of lawsuit territory.

Airlines give capacity guidance every quarter, and it’s just that GUIDANCE, never is it considered the law.

Investors will cheer short-term capacity cuts if they are necessary to improve margins or maintain the operation.

N292UX

Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:43 pm

DTW-APN cut is due to the construction at APN. That one will be back in August barring any additional delays

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos