Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts

Re: Delta Air Lines Network - 2023

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:12 pm

dfwfanboy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
seatback wrote:

Do we expect a response from AA? Doesn't AA own the DAL gates?

They're leased by AS. AA pulled out as part of an divestiture for the US merger, or something. I know they had to pull out of DAL for something, I just can't remember why.

Part of the US-AA DOJ merger agreement that they had to give up the two DAL gates. That said, it's not as though AA was flying from DAL immediately before the merger anyway.
Someone more knowledgeable on the topic can opine on the impact of the Wright Amendment completely going away in... 2025(?) and how the DOJ settlement from the US-AA merger impacts those gates since the Wright Amendment restrictions on WN were part of the reason for the settlement about those gates. I'd imagine DL should still be fine at those AA gates after 2025 even though AA "owns" them since there was a completely separate DOJ settlement involved.

AA can regain access to the DAL gates on April 26, 2024, which is a little over a year away.

AAPilot48Heavy

New Delta (DL) Service out of KDAL (Love Field) -

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:29 pm

It looks like Delta is increasing their service from Dallas - Love Field. I love the competition!

https://news.delta.com/delta-gets-bigge ... stinations

usxguy

Re: New Delta (DL) Service out of KDAL (Love Field) -

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:32 pm

Sad that Alaska didn't keep up their flights, but Alaska probably didn't want to rock the boat with American. Although, if I were American, I'd think I'd rather have a partner competing with me than Delta.

SESGDL

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:36 pm

AAPilot48Heavy wrote:
It looks like Delta is increasing their service from Dallas - Love Field. I love the competition!

The announcement also includes additional service to AUS as well. Exciting to see DL growing in Texas.

Jeremy

phatfarmlines

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:47 pm

usxguy wrote:
Sad that Alaska didn't keep up their flights, but Alaska probably didn't want to rock the boat with American. Although, if I were American, I'd think I'd rather have a partner competing with me than Delta.

Actually, it was speculated that AS kept the slots for that exact reason.

cv5880

Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:32 pm

Glad to see the additional service to DAL! Hopefully one day DL will add a mid day connector from DAL to JFK using the 221 to hit the evening international departure bank. DL still needs to restore full DFW schedule to ATL and add SEA flights. This is good news!

BowlingShoeDC9

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:06 pm

Lol what happened to strengthening their core hubs.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:38 pm

BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:

Extra frequencies to ATL, MSP, SLC isn’t adding to core hubs?

DLvsWN

Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:00 pm

To try to actually understand what this is:

DALLAX 0>2
DALJFK 0>2
DALATL 4>5
AUSJFK 3>4
AUSSLC 3>4
AUSATL 9>10
AUSBOS 2>3
AUSLAX 3>4
AUSMSP 3>4
AUSRDU 1>2
AUSSEA 2>3
SATJFK 0>1
HRLMSP 0>1 (seasonal)

Additional frequencies by hub:
JFK 4
LAX 3
ATL 2
MSP 2
SEA 1
SLC 1
BOS 1
RDU 1

Sorry if I made a mistake somewhere above.

But it looks like 10 of the 15 new frequencies went to non-core hubs--there's some credence to that argument imo.

floridaflyboy

Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:14 pm

DLvsWN wrote:

DALLAX 0>2
DALJFK 0>2
DALATL 4>5
AUSJFK 3>4
AUSSLC 3>4
AUSATL 9>10
AUSBOS 2>3
AUSLAX 3>4
AUSMSP 3>4
AUSRDU 1>2
AUSSEA 2>3
SATJFK 0>1
HRLMSP 0>1 (seasonal)

JFK 4
LAX 3
ATL 2
MSP 2
SEA 1
SLC 1
BOS 1
RDU 1

But it looks like 10 of the 15 new frequencies went to non-core hubs--there's some credence to that argument imo.

No DAL-JFK. It's DAL-LGA...

TWA772LR

Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:23 pm

DLvsWN wrote:

DALLAX 0>2
DALJFK 0>2
DALATL 4>5
AUSJFK 3>4
AUSSLC 3>4
AUSATL 9>10
AUSBOS 2>3
AUSLAX 3>4
AUSMSP 3>4
AUSRDU 1>2
AUSSEA 2>3
SATJFK 0>1
HRLMSP 0>1 (seasonal)

JFK 4
LAX 3
ATL 2
MSP 2
SEA 1
SLC 1
BOS 1
RDU 1

Delta was trying to get AUS, RDU, SJC going as focus cities pre-covid. Expansion doesn't have to be in hubs, it happens where the airline sees fit; and yes additional frequencies to hubs is still strengthening key hubs. If they have the ability, they can have their cake and eat it too.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:40 pm

usxguy wrote:

Delta is paying Alaska Airlines $200,000 a year to use that gate at Love Field, through September 2028.

CO1787

Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:43 pm

Did DL pick up a new gate at AUS?

BowlingShoeDC9

Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:14 pm

TonyClifton wrote:
BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:

Extra frequencies to ATL, MSP, SLC isn’t adding to core hubs?

Apparently I didn’t scroll down. Just saw the NY adds. :tombstone:

DalDC9Bos

Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:57 pm

Additionally, the article mentions increased seats to Houston. Has anyone figured out the details to this. Aren’t any specifics in the release. With SAT getting its JFK direct flight back, I wonder if IAH will follow in the near future? Delta launched a daily IAH-JFK A220 flight that only flew for about two months before Covid ruined things.

AA737-823

Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:14 am

As I just mentioned in the DFWDAL thread, I'm surprised by fleet type for the DAL expansion.
It's a high tech urban O&D monster; I'd have expected A220-100s on the long routes, plus continuation of the 717 on the ATL shuttle because cheap n easy.

ScottB

Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:17 am

AAPilot48Heavy wrote:

Ironically this also ends up being a small win for WN; they won't be forced to share one of their gates with DL for the DAL-ATL flights anymore. Presumably it gives them the ability to add maybe a half-dozen more flights from DAL.

usxguy wrote:

I suspect the DAL service never performed all that well for AS. As best as I can tell they're operating two daily flights (1x SEA and SFO) with their two gates; they'd be offering more if the service was popular for them.

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Delta is paying Alaska Airlines $200,000 a year to use that gate at Love Field, through September 2028.

Really a win-win since AS probably didn't want to increase utilization and the City would force them to share their gates with DL if they didn't -- without a payment for the right to use the gate.

AA737-823

Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:26 am

The press release says effective June 5, but I'm not seeing ANY of the announced routes available for booking on Delta.com yet, going through August.

rjbesikof

Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:50 am

AA737-823 wrote:
The press release says effective June 5, but I'm not seeing ANY of the announced routes available for booking on Delta.com yet, going through August.

DL typically loads routes over the weekend. On another note, with all the new frequency adds at AUS on DL, do you think AA will do domestic widebody flying to AUS to retaliate?

DLASFlyer

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:24 am

AA737-823 wrote:

Some are June 5, others July 10.

LHUSA

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:35 am

Doesn’t Delta have a designated network thread? Unsure why so many have been created lately for pretty run of the mill updates.

N383SW

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:44 am

LHUSA wrote:
Doesn’t Delta have a designated network thread? Unsure why so many have been created lately for pretty run of the mill updates.

Because maybe this qualifies as “Headline News” and it’s thought that it would get lost within the thread? This has been something that has been going on since the WA went away.

dannynoble

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:01 am

As a Delta flier who prefers DAL over DFW the only down side to this announcement is we lose the 717 at DAL. Do not get me wrong i like the a320 family but i have a history with the DC-9 family. as a kid who's father worked for Ozark and then i worked for TW for a couple years the DC-9 holds a special place in my heart. I know the 717 will eventually be retired but still i love the fact Delta has them as they make airplanes last forever. was hoping that when they puled the 717 from DAL it would be replaced by the 221.
Last edited by dannynoble on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

cv5880

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:12 am

I too love the DC-9 and hopefully Delta will make a schedule change and put them back on the ATL service.

LHUSA

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:30 am

[twoid][/twoid]
N383SW wrote:
LHUSA wrote:

Because maybe this qualifies as “Headline News” and it’s thought that it would get lost within the thread? This has been something that has been going on since the WA went away.

Headlines where? Dallas?

Much more significant updates than this from other airlines are constantly rolled into their own network threads. Somehow the DL ones always prevail

departedflights

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:36 am

LHUSA wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
N383SW wrote:
LHUSA wrote:

Headlines where? Dallas?

Much more significant updates than this from other airlines are constantly rolled into their own network threads. Somehow the DL ones always prevail

So very glad I am not the only one who realizes this.

I could not tell you the last thing American or United or Southwest or Alaska or JetBlue, etc etc etc did regarding their routes.... because new route announcements for those carriers are ALWAYS rolled into their network threads.

But that, for some reason, is not the case for Delta on this site.

rj777

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:00 am

Boy..... looks like DL wants to take it to WN

JRL3289

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:07 am

I wonder what they really see here? 2x DAL-LAX, 2x DAL-LGA, and an additional DAL-ATL... that is hardly newsworthy. I'm skeptical that the LAX and LGA adds last very long. I suppose DL's presence in the Dallas-Los Angeles market is token as it is with 2x DFW-LAX, so doubling the frequency is an improvement. New York-Dallas is a completely different beast where AA absolutely owns the variety of offerings. The ATL add makes the most sense to leverage connectivity.

I struggle to see how DAL-LAX/LGA fit in competitively compared to offering a larger portfolio of one-stop connecting opportunities over, say, MSP/DTW/SLC. DFW is and always will be the juggernaut of the Dallas area, so it seems odd to present a completely token presence on very competitive routes as some sort of major strategic announcement in Dallas in particular, and extrapolate that to their presence in Texas as a whole.

wjcandee

Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:54 am

If you're headed to Dallas on business, and/or to anywhere in Highland Park or University Park, DAL is the greatest. In/out easy. I made several trips on Virgin America from LGA to DAL, despite my status on Delta, just to have the convenience of that route. For DL to be on this route, it's now how I'm going to go to Dallas -- just too easy. NYC and LAX are two significant destinations from Dallas. To be able to just pop to DAL and fly there is just too easy.

Fond memories of those weekends (from when I lived in Dallas) where I discover work doesn't need me in town, call my favorite hotel in New Orleans, and grab a light bag and head to DAL. Hop on WN with no reservation, and 30 minutes later I'm at MSY. It just didn't get any better.

SESGDL

Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:03 am

JRL3289 wrote:
I wonder what they really see here? 2x DAL-LAX, 2x DAL-LGA, and an additional DAL-ATL... that is hardly newsworthy. I'm skeptical that the LAX and LGA adds last very long. I suppose DL's presence in the Dallas-Los Angeles market is token as it is with 2x DFW-LAX, so doubling the frequency is an improvement. New York-Dallas is a completely different beast where AA absolutely owns the variety of offerings. The ATL add makes the most sense to leverage connectivity.

You know DL has operated DFW-JFK/LGA for years, right?

Jeremy

AirKevin

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:05 am

departedflights wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
N383SW wrote:

Headlines where? Dallas?

I could not tell you the last thing American or United or Southwest or Alaska or JetBlue, etc etc etc did regarding their routes.... because new route announcements for those carriers are ALWAYS rolled into their network threads.

There was this thread the other day about United adding to a route. Ironically, someone pointed out that it was being discussed in the Alaska Airlines thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1481177

WkndWanderer

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:15 am

departedflights wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
N383SW wrote:

Headlines where? Dallas?

Given the constraints on DAL service and resources and legal fights, any new service there is noteworthy. there was literally just a United thread about upgauging a plane.

Many people browse the first page of the forum for notable news, but don’t have the time or the internet’s in sifting through the particular mega threads to mine for something interesting.

LAX772LR

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:41 am

WkndWanderer wrote:
Many people browse the first page of the forum for notable news, but don’t have the time or the internet’s in sifting through the particular mega threads to mine for something interesting.

:checkmark: :checkmark:

Even before joining, for nearly 20yrs I automatically came to this site first and foremost when looking for breaking aviation news or route announcements.

But, since the obsession with sweeping everything into mega-threads began, I've found myself seeking other sites for headline announcements, as I was missing seeing so many events/announcements here :( :(

DaCubbyBearBar

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:59 am

rj777 wrote:
Boy..... looks like DL wants to take it to WN

And I believe they will… it does appear that SWA has some issues right now

DaCubbyBearBar

Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:03 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
usxguy wrote:

And to think of the ABSOLUTE steal that DL got for this gate!!! 200K a year!!!! SWA is paying UA $4.6 MILLION per gate for 13 years!! 2 gates… $120 MILLION

LAX772LR

Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:08 am

Sure, nice to see more Dallas, but I truly wish to see DL *actually* expand in Texas, not just grow a station they already have.

I get that airlines can't be all things to all people, but with a half-dozen mega-hubs scattered throughout the country, one would think it wouldn't be to hard to at least have SOME presence in the likes of Lubbock, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, etc... or to (for example) be able to get to places like El Paso if coming from west of the Mississippi.

Man I miss the days of the DFW hub. :(

AWACSooner

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:27 pm

AS needs to pack it in at DAL with their menial 2x flights a day and just consolidate at DFW.

cv5880

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:19 pm

Back when DL had a real hub at DFW they had flights to AMA, ELP, LBB, AUS, SAT, OKC, TUL, LIT, and MSY flown mainly with 737-200's that had 757 interiors. Once while boarding a DFW to AUS flight our pilot stood at the door and jokingly welcome us aboard Trans Texas Airway's! Actually MSY was a legacy post WW2 route that DL abandoned with the hub. But when you don't have connecting banks these routes are money losers. Once the hub was pulled down all Texas stations became spokes to Atlanta. Southwest covers all of these cities from DAL and they are conveniently scheduled. The genius of Southwest is that they picked up the short milk run routes DL and AA abandoned with deregulation. Also I'll bet DL wishes they still had the big DFW hangers available to help service the fleet. They chunked everything when they abandoned DFW.

MIflyer12

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:21 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Sure, nice to see more Dallas, but I truly wish to see DL *actually* expand in Texas, not just grow a station they already have.

I get that airlines can't be all things to all people, but with a half-dozen mega-hubs scattered throughout the country, one would think it wouldn't be to hard to at least have SOME presence in the likes of Lubbock, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, etc... or to (for example) be able to get to places like El Paso if coming from west of the Mississippi.

Man I miss the days of the DFW hub. :(

I hear you, but I just don't a good way to do that with the Texas presence of AA, UA and WN. The Austin focus city was a good idea (and a stretch even before Covid and AA's ramp up), and the other DL hubs just aren't well located to handle the secondary TX markets.

Maybe they can get to 12 daily flights out of that one KDAL gate...

WA707atMSP

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:43 pm

Although people here miss DL's DFW hub, DL's finance department doesn't. Air Transport World said the hub lost money in 16 of its final 17 years of operation.

AA737-823

Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:18 pm

Contrary to some above opinions, I think DL can make this work where VX/AS didn't:
VX launched DAL in a flurry of weirdness, after AA was forced to give up the two gates they'd agreed to in the new terminal over the merger. VX had ZERO customer base on either end.
AS quickly switched the route to the ERJ-175. But again, AS had no fan base at DAL and none at LGA- it was literally their only route to LGA, which they no longer serve at all.
DL has a small but meaningful customer base in the Dallas area, plus a huge customer base at LGA.

Who knows, time will tell, but I think Delta has a much better shot at success of at least this route than VX/AS did, and I suspect the same holds true for DAL-LAX.
I wish they'd thrown us some connecting hub opportunities like SLC or MSP, but that's not the market they chose to pursue with this move.

jplatts

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:13 pm

cv5880 wrote:
Back when DL had a real hub at DFW they had flights to AMA, ELP, LBB, AUS, SAT, OKC, TUL, LIT, and MSY flown mainly with 737-200's that had 757 interiors. Once while boarding a DFW to AUS flight our pilot stood at the door and jokingly welcome us aboard Trans Texas Airway's! Actually MSY was a legacy post WW2 route that DL abandoned with the hub. But when you don't have connecting banks these routes are money losers. Once the hub was pulled down all Texas stations became spokes to Atlanta. Southwest covers all of these cities from DAL and they are conveniently scheduled. The genius of Southwest is that they picked up the short milk run routes DL and AA abandoned with deregulation. Also I'll bet DL wishes they still had the big DFW hangers available to help service the fleet. They chunked everything when they abandoned DFW.

WN had completely dropped DAL-OKC nonstop service in January 2020 with there being very little O&D on DAL-OKC in 2019. The O&D PDEW of DAL-OKC was also only 28 passengers/day in Q4 2019.

The O&D PDEW of DFW-OKC is down to only 40 passengers/day in Q3 2022 from the O&D PDEW of 77 passengers/day on DFW-OKC in Q4 2019.

theVagabond

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:43 pm

Who knows, time will tell, but I think Delta has a much better shot at success of at least this route than VX/AS did, and I suspect the same holds true for DAL-LAX

Completely agree. DL is the largest carrier at LAX and LGA and has better name recognition in Dallas/Ft Worth. As much as I'd like to see an A220 on the route, the A319 is better than RJ's. Pretty low-risk imho.

fjnovak1

Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:56 pm

I remember those ‘updated’ looking 732’s… took them on DL flights from CVG-ATL, BDL-CVG and MDW-ATL in the 2004-2006 timeframe right before they were retired. They were comparatively much nicer than the US Air 732’s I’d been on.

zuckie13

Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:01 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:
usxguy wrote:

And to think of the ABSOLUTE steal that DL got for this gate!!! 200K a year!!!! SWA is paying UA $4.6 MILLION per gate for 13 years!! 2 gates… $120 MILLION

The financial arrangements for this are a little confusing. Alaska has the lease on the gate with the airport - presumably for some amount - I don't know what that is.
The City is paying the 200k a year to Alaska - really a "rebate" according to the agreement. That's the 200k being talked about.
I'm not sure what if anything Delta is paying anybody. I would assume (I would hope) they have to pay something to Alaska to sub-lease the gate.

alfa164

Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:53 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

The financial arrangements for this are a little confusing. Alaska has the lease on the gate with the airport - presumably for some amount - I don't know what that is. The City is paying the 200k a year to Alaska - really a "rebate" according to the agreement. That's the 200k being talked about.
I'm not sure what if anything Delta is paying anybody. I would assume (I would hope) they have to pay something to Alaska to sub-lease the gate.

I am surprised AS would be paid anything; they have been holding two gates (11 and 13) at DAL for years, and are now only flying two flights a day from that airport. I would think the terms of the lease(s) would require at least a minimum number of flights daily, or the lease otherwise would be voided.

DFWGlobeTrotter

Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:38 am

wjcandee wrote:
If you're headed to Dallas on business, and/or to anywhere in Highland Park or University Park, DAL is the greatest. In/out easy. I made several trips on Virgin America from LGA to DAL, despite my status on Delta, just to have the convenience of that route. For DL to be on this route, it's now how I'm going to go to Dallas -- just too easy. NYC and LAX are two significant destinations from Dallas. To be able to just pop to DAL and fly there is just too easy.

Fond memories of those weekends (from when I lived in Dallas) where I discover work doesn't need me in town, call my favorite hotel in New Orleans, and grab a light bag and head to DAL. Hop on WN with no reservation, and 30 minutes later I'm at MSY. It just didn't get any better.

As a Dallas resident, I've often argued that the "close in factor" for DAL is overstated - DFW is still very, very easy to get to from most places in the area, and as Collin and Denton county grow exponentially, the 'advantage' of DAL becomes more and more moot. That being said, the overall growth in the area is still a boon for DAL, and DL will likely see decent returns on this service. In the finance area, I hear anecdotal tales of the WN's lack of a decent schedule to New York from DAL, and how the sheer number of AAdvantage elites in the DFW area kills your chance of an upgrade on AA. I wouldn't be surprised if DL is targeting many of these business travelers.

AA737-823

Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:43 am

rjbesikof wrote:
DL typically loads routes over the weekend. On another note, with all the new frequency adds at AUS on DL, do you think AA will do domestic widebody flying to AUS to retaliate?

DLASFlyer wrote:

Welp. Yep. Now they're loaded.

$2,780 for a Fri-Mon round trip DAL-LGA in June.

Only first class is available. All coach fares are "sold out" (obviously not).
While Southwest will sell you tickets all day long for $499 (which is still far too high- you can drive down the street and take Spirit for $30 each way, if you're so inclined...).
One thing I've noticed for the past few months is that Delta pricing out of Love is often psycho. Traveling frequently between ANC and DFW/DAL, I can often find $900 to DFW, but DAL since the holidays has been anywhere from $1400 to $2500.
Best of luck, Delta...

DFWGlobeTrotter

Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:26 am

AA737-823 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

DLASFlyer wrote:

While Southwest will sell you tickets all day long for $499 (which is still far too high- you can drive down the street and take Spirit for $30 each way, if you're so inclined...).
One thing I've noticed for the past few months is that Delta pricing out of Love is often psycho. Traveling frequently between ANC and DFW/DAL, I can often find $900 to DFW, but DAL since the holidays has been anywhere from $1400 to $2500.
Best of luck, Delta...

Definitely a function of far fewer seats being available from DAL.

KMCOFlyer

Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:30 am

AA737-823 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

DLASFlyer wrote:

Best of luck, Delta...

Fares are always super high when first loaded into the schedule as the lower fare buckets haven’t been added in yet. Give it a few days.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos