Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IceCream

Re: Flair Airlines News and Discussion - 2023

Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:05 pm

So far Flair is still running but I have to imagine a huge drop in bookings. But the public has a fickle memory I suppose? Not good at all for summer bookings though, which is Flair's only hope it seems.

jimbo737

Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:13 pm

As most new entrants tend to do in Canada, Flair will attempt to lurch from peak season to peak season, using tomorrow’s unearned revenue to pay today’s bills.

Summer domestic bookings are dribbling in now. They won’t start in earnest for another 5-6 weeks. There are still 2 long weekends before July 1.

When you’re burning through the cash Flair’s burning through these days, 5-6 weeks is an eternity. I wouldn’t wager a dime they’ll make it that long.

Their bean department spend every waking moment figuring out how they can drag out paying bills and how to avoid calls from angry suppliers looking for cash.

They’ll attempt to accelerate summer bookings to generate cash now by excessive discounting, but that only exacerbates the problem.

Once July 1 hits, if they’re still around, they’ll have very little summer inventory left to sell, and the cash and advance ancillary revenue from their penny pinching clientele from the summer inventory sold months earlier will be long gone having been used to pay May and June’s bills.

Come the last week of July, Flair will be hanging on for dear life once again and post Labor Day will look like the Grand Canyon.

It’s all part of the predictable spiral dive these outfits inevitably enter.

If airlines in this situation can coast for months from the windfall earned in July and August, Greyhound Air wouldn’t have pulled the ‘chute in September.

The only way out is to find Canadian investors who are prepared to continuously fund the delta between the cash coming in and cash going out to ensure aircraft lessors, fuelers, ground handlers, airports, Nav Canada etc are not in arrears.

Flair is already dancing on a pinhead with the CTA and the latest revelation that, once again, surprise, surprise, 777 has defacto ownership and financial control over the airline.

It won’t be easy to attract gun shy Cdn investors to throw good money after bad into this mess to keep Flair onside of Cdn regs for the second year in a row.

TexasAirCorp

Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:10 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
Nah, the conservative view is to recognize the ULCC model and costs it drives as very competitive and the globally the most profitable model in the industry. Period. Anything else is noise/ maneuvering/ vested interests.

The conservative view is also to recognise that the ULCC model is near-on impossible to get right in Canada. Operating costs are far too high, population density is too low, most flights are too long. The ULCC model thrives off of 1-2 hour flights between cities with big populations, market forces that drive costs down, and minimal competition. There's only a tiny tiny handful of markets in Canada that even somewhat fit that bill. Stuff like Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa to Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver are quite simply far too long to gain decent revenue off of low fares; not only is it near on impossible to charge <$100 for a four hour flight when a big chunk of that fare is taken up by taxes/airport fees, but at that duration there will always be a large segment of the market that will be happy to pay more for additional comfort and hence will not consider someone like Flair. Similar markets outside of Canada, take NYC-LA for example, operate in areas with populations of well over 10 million people, and yet the only LCC competition is Alaska/JetBlue who offer a product miles ahead of Flair. Why? Because the routes themselves are too long for an ULCC to maximise revenue, and a bigger carrier can quite simply raise business class fares and subsidise undercutting any potential LCC threat.

There will always be demand for cheap flights, in the same way that if you offer anything at a good enough price you'll get a decent flood of people on your doorstep wanting to do business with you. The AC/WS duopoly sucks I know, but there's a reason it exists, and it's purely because there just isn't room for a third major player, especially not an ULCC. You can't do short turnarounds, you can't achieve high aircraft utilisation (as in number of flights, not just number of flying hours), you can't reach a low cost base, and the market itself is already perfectly well saturated.

ULCCs are typically profitable, but a model like Flair will never work in Canada. Period.

Dominion301

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:13 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
If airlines in this situation can coast for months from the windfall earned in July and August, Greyhound Air wouldn’t have pulled the ‘chute in September.

Greyhound Air though had a controlled shutdown as the then-new owners of Greyhound Bus Lines (was that the Laidlaw era? or post-Laidlaw to the Brits/First Choice? I can't remember) didn't want to run a virtual airline and Kelowna Flightcraft didn't want to do it alone either...and now as well as know the Canadian Greyhound is but a distant memory. The American Greyhound still serves Toronto & Vancouver though.

CanJet II also had a controlled shutdown from scheduled ops in September before hanging on for a few more years as a charter airline. If you're doing a controlled shutdown, just after Labour Day's makes sense as to when to do it.

Didn't Skyservice also have a controlled shutdown at the end of a winter charter season do did the airline part of the business actually go bankrupt? PD are following the Skyservice model of keeping the jets and props as separate legal entities. It's why they're still around as a growing FBO and biz jet operator.

airman99o

Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:48 pm

Regarding Skyservice. Back in March of 2010 we were put into receivership not long after Sunwing and Signature Vacations joined Forces. We lost about 40 % of our flying due to this. Not long after that announcement, Sunquest / Thomas Cook had called in a loan of about 8 million ( if memory serves ) the writing was on the wall and a few days later we all woke to the news we had shut down. Ten days later Jazz aviation and Thomas cook announced their partnership.... hmmm now that smells of something in
the works for a lot longer.... Now saying we kept Jets and Props separate? We had no props in our fleet. Skyservice Business Aviation and Air Ambulance was sold off a few years prior. So the Airline was a stand alone company.
If the Roots Air / Skyservice / Air Canada deal had to go through, rouge wouldn't exist today. As we would have been what they became 10 years or so earlier. Also it was proposed to take all the flying we were doing and make it all under the Sunwing banner. The other Tour operators balked at the idea and threatened to walk. Why piss off the company ( Sunquest ) that helped start the airline.... and another that was giving us a ton of flying, Conquest was barely a dot on the map at this time and disappeared shortly
What a great soap opera!! Who needs Days of our lives!! Ha

Dominion301

Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:49 pm

airman99o wrote:
Regarding Skyservice. Back in March of 2010 we were put into receivership not long after Sunwing and Signature Vacations joined Forces. We lost about 40 % of our flying due to this. Not long after that announcement, Sunquest / Thomas Cook had called in a loan of about 8 million ( if memory serves ) the writing was on the wall and a few days later we all woke to the news we had shut down. Ten days later Jazz aviation and Thomas cook announced their partnership.... hmmm now that smells of something in
the works for a lot longer.... Now saying we kept Jets and Props separate? We had no props in our fleet. Skyservice Business Aviation and Air Ambulance was sold off a few years prior. So the Airline was a stand alone company.
If the Roots Air / Skyservice / Air Canada deal had to go through, rouge wouldn't exist today. As we would have been what they became 10 years or so earlier. Also it was proposed to take all the flying we were doing and make it all under the Sunwing banner. The other Tour operators balked at the idea and threatened to walk. Why piss off the company ( Sunquest ) that helped start the airline.... and another that was giving us a ton of flying, Conquest was barely a dot on the map at this time and disappeared shortly
What a great soap opera!! Who needs Days of our lives!! Ha

Thanks for the history lesson. The jets and props reference I made is actually in relation to PD as they're operated under separate legal entities both owned by the parent company. I did not know that Skyservice Business Aviation and Air Ambulance was sold off and was not under a parent umbrella even though they continued to share the same name. Thanks for that tidbit.

airman99o

Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:17 pm

Thanks for the history lesson. The jets and props reference I made is actually in relation to PD as they're operated under separate legal entities both owned by the parent company. I did not know that Skyservice Business Aviation and Air Ambulance was sold off and was not under a parent umbrella even though they continued to share the same name. Thanks for that tidbit.[/quote]

No Probs. Skyservice was one stellar Blip on the Canadian Aviation industry. But as anyone that follows the industry and knows charter flying.... one you get to a certain maturity the tour operators dry up and find something cheaper. Air Transat is a different beast as they used to own everything under their namesake. Not so much now. Sunwing has followed the same state of business, although with their buyout by WestJet that will change.
The other Charters in this industry were slightly different. Canada 3000.... bit off more than they could chew, although Royal ( Mike the white ) was purchased WAY more that it was worth. And then to take Canjet a few months later.... wasn't the complete killer. The fact that Angus Kinnear said in a news conference that they didn't have enough money to last until Christmas that year was his biggest mistake. After he said that Killed the airline, as bookings Dropped like a Hot Rock.
Mike the White came back with Jetsgo and we all see what happened there. I feel Flair is very similar to what Jetsgo was doing. Live off tomorrow's dollars to survive today. As Jestgo took Money right up until the night before they clipped their wings.
As with any company, I soo feel for the front line employees. They will get it up the A#$× with sandpaper while the a=$×holes behind the office walls, walk away with Millions in their pockets.

jimbo737

Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 pm

I can’t think of any profitable LCC or ULCC operating anywhere on the planet who have had aircraft repossessed.

How anyone could possibly come up with a compelling case that explains the ignominy of having 20% of your fleet repossessed as some sort of indicator of fiscal or commercial success is completely beyond me.

There are about 200 good days and about 165 not so good days a year for airlines in Canada.

It’s easy to make money those good 200 days a year. It’s exceedingly difficult to figure out how not to blow your brains out the other 165 days.

Therein lies the challenge for O&D ULCC’s; indeed all new entrants in Canada.

Thus far, it’s pretty obvious things aren’t going the way Flair had planned.

Is it possible to succeed? WS managed to do so with a razor focussed business plan and making sure they learned how to walk before they ran.

It was no walk in the park. AC and CP matched every fare, every day, every flight and dumped capacity all over WS everywhere they went.

And then there was Greyhound, VistaJet, CanJet, Royal, Canada 3000, Transat and one or two others all lurking in the weeds protecting, or at least trying to protect, their piece of the pie.

Virtually everyone of them went banco, was shut down when faced with some adult supervision or filed for CCAA. Porter exists because of a clever real estate deal, but the piper at Nieuport is a calling. I think Transat is the only one that has existed with out major drama.

And yet in the face of this, new entrants steadfastly ignore countless key strategies that made WS a success. It’s mind blowing.

One of the key strategies is to ensure revenues consistently exceed expenses not 6 months a year, but 12 months a year.

People know that 3Q was always a great quarter for WS, but forget the next best quarters were consistently 1Q, then 4Q and then 2Q.

And then there’s Flair who had aircraft seized for non-payment in the middle of what should easily be their 2nd best quarter and heading into what will likely be their weakest quarter on the P&L.

That isn’t exactly a good omen.
Last edited by jimbo737 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

IceCream

Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:18 am

airman99o wrote:
Thanks for the history lesson. The jets and props reference I made is actually in relation to PD as they're operated under separate legal entities both owned by the parent company. I did not know that Skyservice Business Aviation and Air Ambulance was sold off and was not under a parent umbrella even though they continued to share the same name. Thanks for that tidbit.
No Probs. Skyservice was one stellar Blip on the Canadian Aviation industry. But as anyone that follows the industry and knows charter flying.... one you get to a certain maturity the tour operators dry up and find something cheaper. Air Transat is a different beast as they used to own everything under their namesake. Not so much now. Sunwing has followed the same state of business, although with their buyout by WestJet that will change.
The other Charters in this industry were slightly different. Canada 3000.... bit off more than they could chew, although Royal ( Mike the white ) was purchased WAY more that it was worth. And then to take Canjet a few months later.... wasn't the complete killer. The fact that Angus Kinnear said in a news conference that they didn't have enough money to last until Christmas that year was his biggest mistake. After he said that Killed the airline, as bookings Dropped like a Hot Rock.
Mike the White came back with Jetsgo and we all see what happened there. I feel Flair is very similar to what Jetsgo was doing. Live off tomorrow's dollars to survive today. As Jestgo took Money right up until the night before they clipped their wings.
As with any company, I soo feel for the front line employees. They will get it up the A#$× with sandpaper while the a=$×holes behind the office walls, walk away with Millions in their pockets.

Revenue received in advance is a liability and service revenue is not actually realised until the day of flying, so it is a pretty large risk for Flair to be using tomorrow's money to pay today's bills to such a large extent I would assume, but I'm no expert and could be wrong, just my 2 cents.

I think Lynx has a shot at making it work if they maintain a disciplined business approach though. They've been relatively slower at expanding and building up a much more reliable operation it seems like. If Flair goes under it would give them a lot of opportunity.

robsaw

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:52 am

jimbo737 wrote:

There are about 200 good days and about 165 not so good days a year for airlines in Canada.

It’s easy to make money those good 200 days a year. It’s exceedingly difficult to figure out how not to blow your brains out the other 165 days.

I'd tend to agree with that as a central truth to the airline biz in Canada; at least it was historically.

Venerable AC had a fairly lengthy record of losing money at least 1, often 2, and sometimes 3 quarters of each fiscal year (excluding the worst economic years where it was 4 quarters+ of straight losses). WestJet had a track record of better consistency of some quarterly profits but still significant variances better quarter vs worst quarter.

Just demonstrates that survival is essential on carrying FORWARD those best quarters and not merely paying back the losses of the previous losing quarter(s).

YEGFlyer

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:38 am

Sad to hear of Bill Hardy's passing.

New Flair board chair is former EVP at United.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/j ... 88339.html

wjv04

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:07 am

YEGFlyer wrote:

She was already on the board.

AWNP

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:13 am

YEGFlyer wrote:

She lasted 8 months at United, and from what I heard successful would not be a word to describe her time there.

jimbo737

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:46 am

robsaw wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:

I'd tend to agree with that as a central truth to the airline biz in Canada; at least it was historically.

Venerable AC had a fairly lengthy record of losing money at least 1, often 2, and sometimes 3 quarters of each fiscal year (excluding the worst economic years where it was 4 quarters+ of straight losses). WestJet had a track record of better consistency of some quarterly profits but still significant variances better quarter vs worst quarter.

Just demonstrates that survival is essential on carrying FORWARD those best quarters and not merely paying back the losses of the previous losing quarter(s).

WS had a spectacular record of consecutive quarters of profitability.

Other than the quarter they took the one-time non-cash hit to accelerate the depreciation of all the -200’s to zero, (early 2005?), the company had well in excess of 10 years of never losing money on a quarterly basis. For many years, they never lost on a monthly basis either.

WestJet lost money in March and April 1996, but was net profitable by May 1996 and never looked back.

That was not by luck.

It was by design.

Having a fully allocated belf in the low 60% range with a 120 seat aircraft with a 335 mile asl didn’t hurt either.
Last edited by jimbo737 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acey

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:47 am

AWNP wrote:
YEGFlyer wrote:

She lasted 8 months at United, and from what I heard successful would not be a word to describe her time there.

No competent exec would join the helm of a sinking ship that's one watertight compartment away from going under.

jimbo737 wrote:
Having a fully allocated belf in the low 60% range with a 120 seat aircraft with a 335 mile asl didn’t hurt either.

How poorly does it bode for F8 that they are in a state of disarray despite flying the best planes in the world, economically?

ET1EDM

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:54 pm

Again the constant trashing of Flair and it's staff by the same YYC centric people. It is rather sad.

The reason Julia Haywood departed United is she was caught up in a continuing transformative change of leadership at United and this included changes at the CEO level - where after she was hired the CEO Munoz then hired "Scott Kirby — former president of American Airlines Inc. — as United’s new CEO". The merry go round continued. Julia was a long serving consultant in transformative change of airline industry at Boston Consulting - a very well respected consultancy. But Kirby, as everyone knows would have have his own team waiting in the wings.

https://news.medill.northwestern.edu/ch ... step-down/

cirrusdragoon

Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:09 pm

In my opinion, she was a consultant, and had no idea how to actually manage the day-to-day operations at United , performance was not up to par, hence the exit.

jimbo737

Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:02 pm

Sitting on the BoD of the first airline in Canada to suffer the ignominy of having aircraft seized by bailiffs in at least 25 years doesn’t speak much to the talent and experience of the group.

The finance committee of the BoD should have been all over this long before it occurred and instructed management on an appropriate course of action.

That, of course assumes that management made the BoD aware of the desperate financial problems that the airline was dealing with.

If management chose to keep the BoD in the dark, any self respecting BoD member would have / should have immediately resigned.

If the BoD was aware and acquiesced to actions that resulted in the seizure, that isn’t exactly a raging endorsement of the strength and quality of experience on the BoD either.

Any self respecting so called industry veteran would have have disassociated him / herself from this train wreck long ago.

Sitting on the BoD of Flair these days has about the same level of prestige these days as sitting on the BoD of Silicon Valley Bank.

sxf24

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:46 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
Sitting on the BoD of the first airline in Canada to suffer the ignominy of having aircraft seized by bailiffs in at least 25 years doesn’t speak much to the talent and experience of the group.

The finance committee of the BoD should have been all over this long before it occurred and instructed management on an appropriate course of action.

That, of course assumes that management made the BoD aware of the desperate financial problems that the airline was dealing with.

If management chose to keep the BoD in the dark, any self respecting BoD member would have / should have immediately resigned.

If the BoD was aware and acquiesced to actions that resulted in the seizure, that isn’t exactly a raging endorsement of the strength and quality of experience on the BoD either.

Any self respecting so called industry veteran would have have disassociated him / herself from this train wreck long ago.

Sitting on the BoD of Flair these days has about the same level of prestige these days as sitting on the BoD of Silicon Valley Bank.

Perhaps the fact that Flair sued the lessors that repossessed the airplanes indicates the situation was irregular. Until the case is adjudicated, all we know if that Flair’s still operating and must have a good relationship with its other lessors.

Acey

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:48 pm

sxf24 wrote:
all we know if that Flair’s still operating and must have a good relationship with its other lessors.

Huh? We have no idea of that state of Flair's relationship with any lessor. Just because the leases for F8's remaining frames were not immediately terminated the day of the seizure, it doesn't mean another lessor is not looking for an exit plan at the end of an existing lease, for example.

ET1EDM wrote:
Again the constant trashing of Flair and it's staff by the same YYC centric people. It is rather sad.

The state of Flair Airlines in 2023 is indeed rather sad. Welcome back to the thread, I don't know if you've been following along but they recently had four aircraft repossessed and are fighting to generate capital. Sad indeed.

jimbo737

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:14 pm

As long as Flair pays duly, regularly and promptly, (which they obviously didn’t with Airborne), they’ll have no issues with lessors.

They’ll likely always be a lessor prepared to lease Flair aircraft. The question is: on what terms and conditions?

Flairs lease terms are going to reflect their financial covenant, (or lack thereof). It will be reflected both in terms of aircraft rent and the timing and extent of reserve payments per block hour. They will be massively more expensive than AC, WS and countless others to reflect the risk incurred.

Jones is trying to channel MO’L where the best defense is a good offense.

The epic difference is MO’L is coming from a position of strength when he instigates these sorts of public pi$$ing matches.

Flair is at the furthest opposite end of the spectrum. Unlike WS in 1996, Flair has conducted itself in a way to ensure it has engendered very little support from either “hometown” media or the traveling public. No one really cares.

All the court documents airing out Flair’s true financial and operational situation will come to light in the course of the extensive documentation these sorts of cases generate.

Once the media and traveling public get a peak at the “wing and a prayer” finances Flair operates within, it’ll be the final nail in the coffin.

That being said, I’d make a significant wager Flair will withdraw the case or be banco long before that occurs.

cirrusdragoon

Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:27 pm

It would appear , as reported in the Globe today , Flair’s repossessed aircraft have been put on the market for lease by Airborne Capital. Current leases for Max aircraft start from about US$350,000 a month.

The liberated aircraft can be found on these websites, on http://www.myairtrade.com and http://www.jetclassified.com however there are no prices attached to these listings. I wonder how much Airborne is wanting for them?

MSN 61806, 61808 , 64944, 36548. Listed as off-lease and available immediately.

I wonder how fast these will go? I wonder who will snatch them up first? Lynx Air?

Acey

Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:22 pm

A.net 7M8 group buy?! With so many F8 fans in here I'm sure we can find enough people who want a piece of Canadian aviation history.

Lynx needs to not grow too quickly. They already have 3 frames lined up to enter service before summer, unless these lease rates are stellar there'd be no need to acquire frames they have no use for. I'm a bit worried about their transborder out of YYC so far honestly, but that's not for this thread.

Hey jimbo if there was any shred of plausibility to the F8 suit, wouldn't it be unwise to make these frames available for sale so quickly?

jimbo737

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:06 pm

I would imagine the onus on both parties is show they made every effort to mitigate damages.

Airborne will incur significant expenses in the remarketing of these tails, (engine mods, deferred maintenance, cabin reconfiguration, new livery etc etc).

Placing them in new homes as quickly as possible mitigates the damages.

Flair, and the young BJ lawyer who’s trying to make a name for himself, are going to have to establish how this event resulted in their suffering $50m in damages.

Given Flair has already publicly claimed they were able to replace all the tails almost immediately and fewer than 2,000 people were impacted, that’s going to be a rather ambitious endeavor.

All Flair’s dirty laundry will be hung out very publicly for any and all to view. It’s going to be terribly embarrassing for them, not to mention a destroyer of consumer confidence in them as the defendants lawyers undress them during discoveries in about 6 months if they’re lucky and day by day in a courtroom in a year or more from now.

We have yet to see the rebuttals and counter claim from any of the entities Flair has sued. You can be sure they’ll be made available to any and all who want to see the juicy details.

Even the inexperienced new chair of Flair’s BoD is smart enough to realize it’s best to settle this, (ie withdraw) before this blows up into a time consuming, embarrassing and potentially very expensive misadventure.

IceCream

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:22 pm

Based on basic contract law I highly doubt Flair can win. The only two avenues I can see are

1) Some sort of accord and satisfaction agreement was reached between the two parties to satisfy the claims of Airborn that Flair owed them money. However there would have to be some sort of consideration (ie, quid pro quo is needed) flowing from Flair to the lessor to make this valid, and I can't really see what Flair could give to Airborn that would amount to sufficient consideration (although it might be as simple as providing some sort of secure credit line to guarantee payment or something)

Partial or reduced payment of a debt is not sufficient consideration for such an agreement since payment is a pre existing duty from the lease contract. The only way in which partial payment might be sufficient consideration is if Flair's "promise" to do what they are already bound to do is given by way of bona fide compromise of a disputed claim when the promisor (Flair) asserts that they are not bound to perform the obligation under the pre existing contract or that they have a cause of action under that contract. (However Flair is not disputing the monies owed or that they "promised" to give the money. ) In this case the consideration from Flair to Airborne would be dropping their claims and the promise by Airborn would be to reduce the monies owed or give Flair longer to pay it off.

But the claim must also be honestly made. This prevents unfair advantage being obtained by unscrupulous threats and vexatious/ frivolous claims to withhold performance under a contract. Context would have to determine this but I highly doubt there's an honest dispute about how much was overdue.

The second avenue would have to be promissory or equitable estoppel, ie that Airborn promised (or induced the assumption in the case of equitable estoppel) that Flair could be due on payment for 6+ months without repossession, and that Flair acted (or refrained from action) in reliance of this promise to their own detriment. And that it would be unconscionable for Airborne to go back on their promise, which would make the court enforce the promise not from a common law perspective, but from the perspective of a court of equity. I don't think this is being argued by Flair though.

I'm stuck as to what else they could possibly point out though. If there's a negative effect on Flair that's Flair's fault for not performing the conditions of the contract.

dr1980

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:29 pm

The lawsuit was just a publicity stunt (and a stupid one at that) to try and shift blame in the media for having aircraft repossessed. I’m sure they’ll quietly drop their lawsuit before much happens with it.

Acey

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:25 am

A quiet dropping off the suit would destroy the great entertainment value of their finances becoming public. :crying:

dr1980

Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:27 pm

:) :) very true!

JakeLRS

Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:12 pm

As reported on another forum, Flair will be wet-leasing an A320 for summer ops. You can see the updated seat chart on the YYZ-YWG routes.
Since jetlines has been so inconsistent with their scheduled service, I'd imagine its one of their aircraft doing the flying.

RobertLoblaw

Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:41 pm

Four tails now at Lake Simcoe Regional. I wonder how this plays into the assertion that "they" pressured Airborne Capital to take the aircraft for thir own fleet?

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/fl360aer ... er_desktop

Acey

Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:29 am

Only three are visible.

C-FFLA ferried YYZ-YLK yesterday morning
C-FLRS ferried YYZ-YLK yesterday morning
C-FLKD ferried YKF-YLK this morning

Fourth tail is C-FLKI which is still beached at YEG, not sure if it'll ferry tomorrow or stay out west collecting dust. We already know Airborne is actively trying to reposition the tails with new owners so moving them from YYZ where they're just wasting space is not indicative of anything aside from Pearson probably telling somebody to move them.

yyztpa2

Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:13 am

Acey wrote:
Only three are visible.

C-FFLA ferried YYZ-YLK yesterday morning
C-FLRS ferried YYZ-YLK yesterday morning
C-FLKD ferried YKF-YLK this morning

Fourth tail is C-FLKI which is still beached at YEG, not sure if it'll ferry tomorrow or stay out west collecting dust. We already know Airborne is actively trying to reposition the tails with new owners so moving them from YYZ where they're just wasting space is not indicative of anything aside from Pearson probably telling somebody to move them.

I don't think YYZ would have a problem with the planes staying there as long as Airborne were paying the fees. Airborne moving the planes to YLK is likely their choice.

Acey

Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:39 am

Oh of course fees were being paid, but that's still not to say YYZ wouldn't want the frames moved. YYC is similarly not fond of these extended stays.

planenutz

Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:36 am

I went ahead and bit the bullet and booked a return flight from SFO to YVR for a grand total of 122USD.
I have never paid a fare this low for travel between these two cities. Ever. I used the provided promo code from Flair and the flight timings were great.
No sooner had I gone back online to select seats that the flight times have changed, in both directions. No communication from Flair as of yet to notify pax of these changes, which are substantial, off by 8 hours or so.

I have very low expectations, and am preparing myself for the worst.
We’ll see what happens.

AirbusA322

Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:34 am

All this talk about how cash strapped this airline is, so I assume that 777 Partners have stopped injecting anymore cash. It’s like they have told Flair- no more cash, fight your own battles and make it work without our money tree. They would have thrown hundreds/millions at this experiment without a single return, fair enough, Flair needs to show it can become viable without ongoing cash injections.

Seems like they are not in the position to fund operations on its own accord. I don’t know what is next for Flair but it seems they are walking a tightrope.

Will this ever make money? And solid earnings not just breaking even. Seems questionable, and not sure what the exit plan is for 777, appears like the exit plan was stop throwing cash at it.

IceCream

Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:39 am

AirbusA322 wrote:
All this talk about how cash strapped this airline is, so I assume that 777 Partners have stopped injecting anymore cash. It’s like they have told Flair- no more cash, fight your own battles and make it work without our money tree. They would have thrown hundreds/millions at this experiment without a single return, fair enough, Flair needs to show it can become viable without ongoing cash injections.

Seems like they are not in the position to fund operations on its own accord. I don’t know what is next for Flair but it seems they are walking a tightrope.

Will this ever make money? And solid earnings not just breaking even. Seems questionable, and not sure what the exit plan is for 777, appears like the exit plan was stop throwing cash at it.

My theory is that Flair might get through the summer and go belly up next winter

jimbo737

Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:20 pm

Gotta make it to the summer first.

People forget that 2Q was consistently WS’s weakest quarter, even with lots of feed and flow. That being said, it was rarely unprofitable over the first 15+ years. The one time it was, it was due to the company accelerating the write off the -200 fleet in one fell swoop, rather than dragging it out for another 3+ years as oil prices stayed north of $45.

1Q was always the 2nd strongest after 3Q, yet Flair had 20% of their fleet seized in 1Q.

Flair are walking a tightrope.

bennett123

Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:15 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:

Are 777 Partners allowed to keep pumping in money?.

cirrusdragoon

Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:51 pm

bennett123 wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:

Are 777 Partners allowed to keep pumping in money?.

Nope

AirbusA322

Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:40 pm

How come?

yhu

Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:44 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:
How come?

Long story short, 777 are a US company so they are limited in how much they can put into Flair. Put too much money in and Flair is no longer considered a Canadian company.

yyztpa2

Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:59 am

yhu wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:
How come?

Long story short, 777 are a US company so they are limited in how much they can put into Flair. Put too much money in and Flair is no longer considered a Canadian company.

Canadian airlines are hampered by the inability to raise capital on the global market. Restricting to Canadian capital frequently puts start ups in competition for the same investors who are vested in the incumbents.

Acey

Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:05 am

yyztpa2 wrote:
yhu wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:
How come?

Canadian airlines are hampered by the inability to raise capital on the global market. Restricting to Canadian capital frequently puts start ups in competition for the same investors who are vested in the incumbents.

100% true and of course it's part of the reason the whole situation was seen as predatory against F8.

Flair, as one of several methods by which they proved to the CTA that they are not owned by 777, demonstrated their ability to secure financing from a source other than 777... so an exit plan from whatever their current financial situation is will need to follow this demonstration.

sxf24

Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:38 am

yhu wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:
How come?

There is a limit on how much equity a US person can contribute and restrictions on how much control they can have. There is no limit on how much a US person can lend a Canadian airline provided it is not structured to create control.

aklak

Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:13 am

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2022-63

[4] The Agency found in its Preliminary Determination that 777 may have control in fact of Flair on the basis of the following: it had assumed the majority of risks and was entitled to the majority of benefits in respect of Flair’s operations; it controlled the Board of Directors (Board); it held rights that exceeded those granted to the other shareholders; it had played an active role in the management of Flair’s business; it was in a position to select whom it would bring in as a new shareholder; and, finally, Flair was dependent on 777 for its financing and leasing of aircraft. After considering all of these together, the Agency found on a preliminary basis that 777 may control in fact Flair.

[6] On May 3, 2022, Flair filed its response to the Agency’s Preliminary Determination, including amendments to its Unanimous Shareholder Agreement (USA) and a Promissory Note, to address concerns raised by the Agency in its Preliminary Determination. Flair, with the concurrence of the Agency, subsequently filed additional information, including executed versions of the amended USA and Promissory Note.

[7] The USA defines the relationship between the individual shareholders and Flair, including with respect to the corporate governance of Flair, and the assignment of rights among the shareholders. The Promissory Note governs the debt arrangement between Flair and 777.

SUMMARY
[8] The Agency finds, after considering all of the facts, that the changes implemented since the Agency’s Preliminary Determination, including to the USA and Promissory Note, have addressed the concerns raised by the Agency in its Preliminary Determination.

[15] The majority of Flair’s funding is provided through debt arrangements. In addition to its equity investment, 777 has also provided approximately 70 percent of Flair’s debt financing. The balance of the debt financing is held by a number of non-Canadian lenders.

[20] The third requirement typically entails the most analysis. Control in fact is the power, whether exercised or not, to control the strategic decision-making activities of an enterprise and to manage and run its day-to-day operations. The influence needs to be dominant or determining to be considered, “control in fact”. The analysis to determine control in fact is done after considering all of the facts together, taking into account many factors recognizing that each case is unique.

[53] The Agency noted in its Preliminary Determination that a Canadian investor and 777 each hold the two largest equity interests in Flair. 777 also holds a Promissory Note issued by Flair. The Agency noted that, on this basis, 777 can be considered to have assumed the majority of investment risk in the business. Likewise, based on 777’s equity interest in Flair and the interest income it is entitled to on the Promissory Note, 777 can be considered to be entitled to the majority of benefits. 777, as the party that has assumed the majority of risks and is entitled to the majority of benefits, would consequently be expected to be in a position to hold control.

[54] Flair argues that the above-noted factors are not determinative of control in fact. Flair states that the Agency has consistently held that it will consider whether the non‑Canadian has the motivation, inclination and intention, and ability to exercise control in fact over the Canadian carrier and that 777 has no motivation, inclination, or intention to control Flair. Flair further argues that 777 provided additional funding to Flair throughout the COVID-19 pandemic when it required additional financial support and, at the same time, to protect its own investment in the company and not to control the affairs of Flair. Flair further puts forward that the Agency has previously held that, in determining intent, it will take into account the nature of the business of the non‑Canadian investor, for instance, whether the non-Canadian lender is a foreign air carrier. In this case, Flair states that while 777 has some investments in aviation, it is not a foreign air carrier, and aviation is not its sole business.

[55] The Agency does not find Flair’s arguments convincing on this matter. Irrespective of the reasons for 777’s investment in Flair, it has assumed the majority of risks and is entitled to the majority of benefits, as a result of its significant investment in the equity and debt of the company. 777 is a sophisticated investor with expertise in the aviation sector and the Agency is not convinced that 777 does not have the motivation or intent to control in fact Flair. Indeed, 777’s involvement so far has not, from the Agency’s perspective, been akin to a passive investor. However, the Agency notes that while 777 could have the intent to influence the strategic direction of Flair, it also requires the means to do so in order to be able to control the company.

[60] In situations where the monetary size of the debt held by non-Canadians is significant compared to the other sources of financing or if there is a dependency upon a guarantee from a non-Canadian, non-Canadians can be in a position to indirectly exercise control over the company.

[61] The Agency stated in its Preliminary Determination that Flair’s dependence on 777 for financing, along with 777’s ability and apparent willingness to exert its control over Flair, are strong indicators that Flair may be controlled in fact by 777. The majority of the debt is held by 777 via a Promissory Note. Further, the specific interest rate charged on the Promissory Note is an indicator that Flair is viewed as high risk by investors, casting doubt on whether it could secure replacement or additional financing elsewhere in the marketplace. The relatively short time periods between maturity dates with the continual requirement to extend the financing on the Promissory Note could provide 777 with the means to exert control over Flair. Further, 777 demonstrated that it is able to use its financing position as leverage when, in October 2020, it required Flair, as a condition to advancing additional monies on the Promissory Note, to agree to 777 receiving a three-year business plan for Flair that was acceptable to 777 and to certain changes to the company’s officer and Board composition.

[62] Flair in its response argues that the Agency has previously stated that the financing of aircraft has an international aspect to it and that an attempt to impose a Canadian financing requirement on air carriers would result in severe and unacceptable restrictions. Flair further argues that the Agency has specifically held on prior occasions that some degree of influence—even substantial influence—over the affairs of the carrier is acceptable and that control in fact concerns do not arise when the lender and borrower are operating on an arm’s length basis. Influence has to be dominant or determining to result in control in fact.

[63] The Agency acknowledges that financing from international sources does not necessarily create control in fact concerns. The Agency notes that any such consideration is to be made based on the facts of each situation. The Agency notes that influence has to be dominant or determining to result in control in fact.

[64] Flair in its response states that it is cash self-sufficient and has not accessed funds from 777 since mid-March. Flair has filed information with the Agency to confirm its cash position, including cash flow forecasts. Flair believes it will be able to generate sufficient cash reserves during the summer travel season to remain self-sufficient throughout the slower winter season. In the event that there is a further downturn in the aviation market and that Flair requires further financing during the winter season, Flair believes it will be able to access financing from Canadian sources. Should Flair have to resort to non-Canadians for further financing, Flair undertakes to submit the terms of any such financing to the Agency prior to proceeding with the transaction. Flair states that it is in discussions with the investment arm of a Canadian bank and private equity firms to explore financing alternatives to strengthen the airline’s financial position. Flair also states that it intends to list its shares on public equity markets through an initial public offering (IPO) with the funds to be used to repay the debt held by 777 and to build cash reserves.

[65] The Agency notes that Flair’s future plans to limit its dependence on 777, such as by obtaining funds through an IPO, are uncertain future events that do not address present-day concerns that Flair may be controlled in fact by non-Canadians. However, the information provided by Flair demonstrating that it is presently cash flow self‑sufficient mitigates concerns that Flair will continue to be dependent on 777 for new additional funding in connection with its future operational activities. It does not, however, address the concerns about Flair’s dependence on 777 in respect of the existing outstanding debt.

[66] The Agency notes that the risk remains that should there be a downturn in the aviation sector in general, or in Flair’s business in particular, it could require Flair to seek additional financing, at which point Flair may need to turn to 777 if it cannot secure the funding through other sources.
The Agency, however, recognizes that it is not the case at the moment given that Flair is cash flow self-sufficient and forecasts, based on its bookings, that it will continue to be so. Flair is also in the process of negotiating an operating line of credit, which demonstrates some capacity to access financing other than solely through 777.

[67] Flair, in its response, indicated that it has recently expanded its credit facility with certain non-Canadian lenders and used the proceeds to pay down a portion of the debt held by 777. Flair has also noted that 777 has extended the maturity date for the Promissory Note to March 17, 2026, and has agreed to modify events of default in the Promissory Note so that it would be unable to call the Promissory Note other than in limited circumstances, such as in the case of insolvency, bankruptcy or winding up of the company. Flair argues that these actions are further indicators that 777 has no intent to leverage its financial position to exert control over Flair and that collectively, with all of the other changes, the ability of 777 to exert influence over Flair using the Promissory Note as leverage is removed.

[68] The Agency finds that extending the Promissory Note’s maturity date to 2026, while at the same time amending the Promissory Note to limit 777’s ability to call the loan, provides for the debt funding to continue to be available until at least 2026 and, as such, considerably mitigates 777’s ability to exert influence over Flair. Consequently, the Agency finds that its concerns regarding Flair’s financial dependence on 777 have been sufficiently addressed.

[70] The Agency noted in its Preliminary Determination that Flair has 12 aircraft (since increased to 14) under operating leases which are either leased from affiliates of 777 or are guaranteed by 777 or its affiliates, and that 777 had a veto over all of Flair’s aircraft lease decisions and, as such, Flair depends on 777 for the provision of aircraft, which is a strong indicator of control in fact.

[71] Flair in its response argues that the Agency has previously held that aircraft leases, even on favourable terms, do not give rise to control in fact issues, particularly if the air carrier remains responsible for the operating costs and if the leasing arrangements are consistent with market conditions and/or actual business needs of the air carrier. Flair states that it is responsible for the costs associated with the leased aircraft, the leasing of the aircraft is consistent with its business needs, and that the leases employ industry-standard arm’s length terms, including with respect to rent, and do not give rise to any element of control over Flair to lessors and guarantors. Flair states that 777’s veto rights over Flair’s leasing decisions have all been eliminated from the USA.

[72] Subsequent to filing its response on May 3, 2022, Flair informed the Agency that it has agreed to purchase one Boeing MAX 8 aircraft from 777. Flair has also been assigned the direct purchase rights previously held by 777 to acquire from Boeing five new MAX 8 aircraft. Flair has agreed to a sale and leaseback finance arrangement with independent aircraft lessors to fund the direct lease of the existing aircraft that is being acquired from 777 and for four of the new aircraft to be acquired from Boeing. These leases are not subject to any guarantee or financial assistance from 777. The first of these aircraft is to be delivered in June 2022. Flair has filed with the Agency term sheets reflecting these arrangements.

[73] The Agency recognizes that aircraft leases with non-Canadians, including non-Canadian shareholders of the company, do not necessarily give rise to significant control in fact issues, but also notes that such a determination must be considered after taking into account the relevant facts of each situation. In the present case, the Agency’s concerns are not tied to the specific terms and conditions of the lease arrangements with 777, but rather on Flair’s dependence on 777 for its aircraft given its financial position and, particularly, in light of 777’s veto rights. With the elimination of 777’s veto rights, the remaining issue is whether Flair remains dependent on 777 for the lease of its aircraft. The Agency notes that the lease agreements provide for an average remaining lease term of 9 years and do not provide 777 with the ability to take back the aircraft before the end of the lease term except in the event of default. Further, Flair has demonstrated that it can lease new aircraft without having to rely on a guarantee being provided by 777.

[74] Consequently, the Agency finds that its concerns related to Flair’s dependence on 777 for its aircraft have been addressed.

[79] The Agency finds that the amendments to the USA, the Promissory Note, and to the overall corporate governance structure have served to significantly reduce or remove the means through which control can be exercised. Canadians are now in a position to control shareholder and Board meeting business, and 777’s rights are consistent with the rights that are held by Canadian shareholders who have a similar economic interest to 777.

[80] Flair continues, however, to be financially dependent on 777 for the ongoing funding of its operations, including the leasing of its aircraft. While Flair has communicated an intent to diversify its funding sources, no such changes have yet occurred.

[81] While Flair continues to be financially dependent on 777 for the majority of the existing debt, Flair has demonstrated that it is now in a position to generate positive cash flow from operations to the point of being cash self-sufficient, which alleviates concerns it would continue to be dependent on 777 for additional new financing. Further, the extension of the Promissory Note’s maturity date to 2026 while, at the same time, limiting 777’s ability to call the loan, provides for the necessary debt funding to remain in place while significantly restricting 777’s ability to use it as a means to exert control over Flair.

The CTA decision does not say that foreign debt isn't an issue and that Flair can have as much as they want. They explicitly state that a main factor in their concerns over whether 777 Partners had control-in-fact of Flair was the amount of indebtedness and the ability of 777 to exert pressure; the statement above shows that there is a limit on how much foreign debt Flair can have: "In situations where the monetary size of the debt held by non-Canadians is significant compared to the other sources of financing or if there is a dependency upon a guarantee from a non-Canadian, non-Canadians can be in a position to indirectly exercise control over the company." and "Should Flair have to resort to non-Canadians for further financing, Flair undertakes to submit the terms of any such financing to the Agency prior to proceeding with the transaction." That's a pretty definitive statement that "There is no limit on how much a US person can lend a Canadian airline provided it is not structured to create control" is entirely wrong. The reason Flair was allowed to continue operating was because of amendments made between the Preliminary and Final Determinations which completely overhauled their corporate and financing structures, not because the CTA said that everything had been all good in the first place.

sxf24

Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:19 am

aklak wrote:
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2022-63

[4] The Agency found in its Preliminary Determination that 777 may have control in fact of Flair on the basis of the following: it had assumed the majority of risks and was entitled to the majority of benefits in respect of Flair’s operations; it controlled the Board of Directors (Board); it held rights that exceeded those granted to the other shareholders; it had played an active role in the management of Flair’s business; it was in a position to select whom it would bring in as a new shareholder; and, finally, Flair was dependent on 777 for its financing and leasing of aircraft. After considering all of these together, the Agency found on a preliminary basis that 777 may control in fact Flair.

[6] On May 3, 2022, Flair filed its response to the Agency’s Preliminary Determination, including amendments to its Unanimous Shareholder Agreement (USA) and a Promissory Note, to address concerns raised by the Agency in its Preliminary Determination. Flair, with the concurrence of the Agency, subsequently filed additional information, including executed versions of the amended USA and Promissory Note.

[7] The USA defines the relationship between the individual shareholders and Flair, including with respect to the corporate governance of Flair, and the assignment of rights among the shareholders. The Promissory Note governs the debt arrangement between Flair and 777.

SUMMARY
[8] The Agency finds, after considering all of the facts, that the changes implemented since the Agency’s Preliminary Determination, including to the USA and Promissory Note, have addressed the concerns raised by the Agency in its Preliminary Determination.

[15] The majority of Flair’s funding is provided through debt arrangements. In addition to its equity investment, 777 has also provided approximately 70 percent of Flair’s debt financing. The balance of the debt financing is held by a number of non-Canadian lenders.

[20] The third requirement typically entails the most analysis. Control in fact is the power, whether exercised or not, to control the strategic decision-making activities of an enterprise and to manage and run its day-to-day operations. The influence needs to be dominant or determining to be considered, “control in fact”. The analysis to determine control in fact is done after considering all of the facts together, taking into account many factors recognizing that each case is unique.

[53] The Agency noted in its Preliminary Determination that a Canadian investor and 777 each hold the two largest equity interests in Flair. 777 also holds a Promissory Note issued by Flair. The Agency noted that, on this basis, 777 can be considered to have assumed the majority of investment risk in the business. Likewise, based on 777’s equity interest in Flair and the interest income it is entitled to on the Promissory Note, 777 can be considered to be entitled to the majority of benefits. 777, as the party that has assumed the majority of risks and is entitled to the majority of benefits, would consequently be expected to be in a position to hold control.

[54] Flair argues that the above-noted factors are not determinative of control in fact. Flair states that the Agency has consistently held that it will consider whether the non‑Canadian has the motivation, inclination and intention, and ability to exercise control in fact over the Canadian carrier and that 777 has no motivation, inclination, or intention to control Flair. Flair further argues that 777 provided additional funding to Flair throughout the COVID-19 pandemic when it required additional financial support and, at the same time, to protect its own investment in the company and not to control the affairs of Flair. Flair further puts forward that the Agency has previously held that, in determining intent, it will take into account the nature of the business of the non‑Canadian investor, for instance, whether the non-Canadian lender is a foreign air carrier. In this case, Flair states that while 777 has some investments in aviation, it is not a foreign air carrier, and aviation is not its sole business.

[55] The Agency does not find Flair’s arguments convincing on this matter. Irrespective of the reasons for 777’s investment in Flair, it has assumed the majority of risks and is entitled to the majority of benefits, as a result of its significant investment in the equity and debt of the company. 777 is a sophisticated investor with expertise in the aviation sector and the Agency is not convinced that 777 does not have the motivation or intent to control in fact Flair. Indeed, 777’s involvement so far has not, from the Agency’s perspective, been akin to a passive investor. However, the Agency notes that while 777 could have the intent to influence the strategic direction of Flair, it also requires the means to do so in order to be able to control the company.

[60] In situations where the monetary size of the debt held by non-Canadians is significant compared to the other sources of financing or if there is a dependency upon a guarantee from a non-Canadian, non-Canadians can be in a position to indirectly exercise control over the company.

[61] The Agency stated in its Preliminary Determination that Flair’s dependence on 777 for financing, along with 777’s ability and apparent willingness to exert its control over Flair, are strong indicators that Flair may be controlled in fact by 777. The majority of the debt is held by 777 via a Promissory Note. Further, the specific interest rate charged on the Promissory Note is an indicator that Flair is viewed as high risk by investors, casting doubt on whether it could secure replacement or additional financing elsewhere in the marketplace. The relatively short time periods between maturity dates with the continual requirement to extend the financing on the Promissory Note could provide 777 with the means to exert control over Flair. Further, 777 demonstrated that it is able to use its financing position as leverage when, in October 2020, it required Flair, as a condition to advancing additional monies on the Promissory Note, to agree to 777 receiving a three-year business plan for Flair that was acceptable to 777 and to certain changes to the company’s officer and Board composition.

[62] Flair in its response argues that the Agency has previously stated that the financing of aircraft has an international aspect to it and that an attempt to impose a Canadian financing requirement on air carriers would result in severe and unacceptable restrictions. Flair further argues that the Agency has specifically held on prior occasions that some degree of influence—even substantial influence—over the affairs of the carrier is acceptable and that control in fact concerns do not arise when the lender and borrower are operating on an arm’s length basis. Influence has to be dominant or determining to result in control in fact.

[63] The Agency acknowledges that financing from international sources does not necessarily create control in fact concerns. The Agency notes that any such consideration is to be made based on the facts of each situation. The Agency notes that influence has to be dominant or determining to result in control in fact.

[64] Flair in its response states that it is cash self-sufficient and has not accessed funds from 777 since mid-March. Flair has filed information with the Agency to confirm its cash position, including cash flow forecasts. Flair believes it will be able to generate sufficient cash reserves during the summer travel season to remain self-sufficient throughout the slower winter season. In the event that there is a further downturn in the aviation market and that Flair requires further financing during the winter season, Flair believes it will be able to access financing from Canadian sources. Should Flair have to resort to non-Canadians for further financing, Flair undertakes to submit the terms of any such financing to the Agency prior to proceeding with the transaction. Flair states that it is in discussions with the investment arm of a Canadian bank and private equity firms to explore financing alternatives to strengthen the airline’s financial position. Flair also states that it intends to list its shares on public equity markets through an initial public offering (IPO) with the funds to be used to repay the debt held by 777 and to build cash reserves.

[65] The Agency notes that Flair’s future plans to limit its dependence on 777, such as by obtaining funds through an IPO, are uncertain future events that do not address present-day concerns that Flair may be controlled in fact by non-Canadians. However, the information provided by Flair demonstrating that it is presently cash flow self‑sufficient mitigates concerns that Flair will continue to be dependent on 777 for new additional funding in connection with its future operational activities. It does not, however, address the concerns about Flair’s dependence on 777 in respect of the existing outstanding debt.

[66] The Agency notes that the risk remains that should there be a downturn in the aviation sector in general, or in Flair’s business in particular, it could require Flair to seek additional financing, at which point Flair may need to turn to 777 if it cannot secure the funding through other sources.
The Agency, however, recognizes that it is not the case at the moment given that Flair is cash flow self-sufficient and forecasts, based on its bookings, that it will continue to be so. Flair is also in the process of negotiating an operating line of credit, which demonstrates some capacity to access financing other than solely through 777.

[67] Flair, in its response, indicated that it has recently expanded its credit facility with certain non-Canadian lenders and used the proceeds to pay down a portion of the debt held by 777. Flair has also noted that 777 has extended the maturity date for the Promissory Note to March 17, 2026, and has agreed to modify events of default in the Promissory Note so that it would be unable to call the Promissory Note other than in limited circumstances, such as in the case of insolvency, bankruptcy or winding up of the company. Flair argues that these actions are further indicators that 777 has no intent to leverage its financial position to exert control over Flair and that collectively, with all of the other changes, the ability of 777 to exert influence over Flair using the Promissory Note as leverage is removed.

[68] The Agency finds that extending the Promissory Note’s maturity date to 2026, while at the same time amending the Promissory Note to limit 777’s ability to call the loan, provides for the debt funding to continue to be available until at least 2026 and, as such, considerably mitigates 777’s ability to exert influence over Flair. Consequently, the Agency finds that its concerns regarding Flair’s financial dependence on 777 have been sufficiently addressed.

[70] The Agency noted in its Preliminary Determination that Flair has 12 aircraft (since increased to 14) under operating leases which are either leased from affiliates of 777 or are guaranteed by 777 or its affiliates, and that 777 had a veto over all of Flair’s aircraft lease decisions and, as such, Flair depends on 777 for the provision of aircraft, which is a strong indicator of control in fact.

[71] Flair in its response argues that the Agency has previously held that aircraft leases, even on favourable terms, do not give rise to control in fact issues, particularly if the air carrier remains responsible for the operating costs and if the leasing arrangements are consistent with market conditions and/or actual business needs of the air carrier. Flair states that it is responsible for the costs associated with the leased aircraft, the leasing of the aircraft is consistent with its business needs, and that the leases employ industry-standard arm’s length terms, including with respect to rent, and do not give rise to any element of control over Flair to lessors and guarantors. Flair states that 777’s veto rights over Flair’s leasing decisions have all been eliminated from the USA.

[72] Subsequent to filing its response on May 3, 2022, Flair informed the Agency that it has agreed to purchase one Boeing MAX 8 aircraft from 777. Flair has also been assigned the direct purchase rights previously held by 777 to acquire from Boeing five new MAX 8 aircraft. Flair has agreed to a sale and leaseback finance arrangement with independent aircraft lessors to fund the direct lease of the existing aircraft that is being acquired from 777 and for four of the new aircraft to be acquired from Boeing. These leases are not subject to any guarantee or financial assistance from 777. The first of these aircraft is to be delivered in June 2022. Flair has filed with the Agency term sheets reflecting these arrangements.

[73] The Agency recognizes that aircraft leases with non-Canadians, including non-Canadian shareholders of the company, do not necessarily give rise to significant control in fact issues, but also notes that such a determination must be considered after taking into account the relevant facts of each situation. In the present case, the Agency’s concerns are not tied to the specific terms and conditions of the lease arrangements with 777, but rather on Flair’s dependence on 777 for its aircraft given its financial position and, particularly, in light of 777’s veto rights. With the elimination of 777’s veto rights, the remaining issue is whether Flair remains dependent on 777 for the lease of its aircraft. The Agency notes that the lease agreements provide for an average remaining lease term of 9 years and do not provide 777 with the ability to take back the aircraft before the end of the lease term except in the event of default. Further, Flair has demonstrated that it can lease new aircraft without having to rely on a guarantee being provided by 777.

[74] Consequently, the Agency finds that its concerns related to Flair’s dependence on 777 for its aircraft have been addressed.

[79] The Agency finds that the amendments to the USA, the Promissory Note, and to the overall corporate governance structure have served to significantly reduce or remove the means through which control can be exercised. Canadians are now in a position to control shareholder and Board meeting business, and 777’s rights are consistent with the rights that are held by Canadian shareholders who have a similar economic interest to 777.

[80] Flair continues, however, to be financially dependent on 777 for the ongoing funding of its operations, including the leasing of its aircraft. While Flair has communicated an intent to diversify its funding sources, no such changes have yet occurred.

[81] While Flair continues to be financially dependent on 777 for the majority of the existing debt, Flair has demonstrated that it is now in a position to generate positive cash flow from operations to the point of being cash self-sufficient, which alleviates concerns it would continue to be dependent on 777 for additional new financing. Further, the extension of the Promissory Note’s maturity date to 2026 while, at the same time, limiting 777’s ability to call the loan, provides for the necessary debt funding to remain in place while significantly restricting 777’s ability to use it as a means to exert control over Flair.

The CTA decision does not say that foreign debt isn't an issue and that Flair can have as much as they want. They explicitly state that a main factor in their concerns over whether 777 Partners had control-in-fact of Flair was the amount of indebtedness and the ability of 777 to exert pressure; the statement above shows that there is a limit on how much foreign debt Flair can have, and "Should Flair have to resort to non-Canadians for further financing, Flair undertakes to submit the terms of any such financing to the Agency prior to proceeding with the transaction." That's a pretty definitive statement that "There is no limit on how much a US person can lend a Canadian airline provided it is not structured to create control" is entirely wrong. The reason Flair was allowed to continue operating was because of amendments made between the Preliminary and Final Determinations which completely overhauled their corporate and financing structures, not because the CTA said that everything had been all good in the first place.

You need to read the entire decision. Determining control is not binary and requires significant analysis. The CTA walks through the various considerations.

This entire line of discussion is insane. If 777 Partners wants to lend money to Flair, Canadian employees and customers benefit from the airline’s continued operations. People get excited about new airlines and more competition in every other country. Why do so many invest so much time and expend all of this passion on trashing Flair?

aklak

Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:30 am

sxf24 wrote:

You need to read the entire decision. Determining control is not binary and requires significant analysis. The CTA walks through the various considerations.

I did read through the entire decision, and it says that Flair has to consult the CTA before taking on more foreign debt. It says that 777's promissory note exerted significant control over Flair, and that it had to be amended to satisfy the CTA. There were several factors under consideration, and all of them had to be adjusted to ensure 777 did not have control-in-fact. Considering how quickly you responded, did you even read the relevant parts that I quoted? I highlighted the most important stuff so it would be easy for you to see that the debt was an enormous factor in the determination.

This entire line of discussion is insane. If 777 Partners wants to lend money to Flair, Canadian employees and customers benefit from the airline’s continued operations. People get excited about new airlines and more competition in every other country. Why do so many invest so much time and expend all of this passion on trashing Flair?

Because Flair was trying to get around the rules and get a leg-up on all the airlines that follow Canadian law. Would you be happy if they stopped following the regulations regarding maintenance or training if it saved passengers a few bucks? Why do you think Flair deserves an exemption from the ownership rules that everyone else has to follow just so that customers can get slightly cheaper flights?

Acey

Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:01 am

Again, the question is whether or not 777 can give Flair unlimited funds. Flair promised the CTA that they would secure additonal sources of funding other than 777 Partners. Given that Flair had airplanes seized due to lack of cash, it's fair to assume they struggled to secure additional funding. The answer to that question is therefore no.

I'm not sure how pointing this out is "trashing Flair with a passion."

AirbusA322

Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:03 am

So how many aircraft are leased from 777? Seems like the majority are leased by other firms.

What is clear, is that Flair needs another significant cash injection.

Acey

Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:53 am

The Agency noted in its Preliminary Determination that Flair has 12 aircraft (since increased to 14) under operating leases which are either leased from affiliates of 777 or are guaranteed by 777 or its affiliates, and that 777 had a veto over all of Flair’s aircraft lease decisions and, as such, Flair depends on 777 for the provision of aircraft, which is a strong indicator of control in fact.

whoopsie daisy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos