Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet

Re: Brazil Aviation - 2023

Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:26 am

Avianca is reducing flights on the Cartagena - Sao Paulo route, introduced last JAN2023. Beginning in April the flight is going from 3 to 2x week.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2023/03/av ... sao-paulo/

The same reduction will also apply to the Cartagena - Santiago de Chile route,

Not sure if this is a seasonal reduction or a reflection that the 2 routes are not meeting the expected results.

dcajet

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:31 am

With the arrival of the southern winter 2023 season, Argentinian low cost Flybondi will reduce flights to two leisure destinations in Brazil:

* Florianopolis will see its flights reduced from 1x d to 3x w, eff 16APR23. The last flight of this season will be operated on 31MAY23, with service to FLN returning in the southern spring

* Rio de Janeiro GIG will see frequencies reduced from 3x to 2x day

During the peak summer season Flybondi overtook LATAM as the third largest carrier between Argentina and Brazil in terms of paxs carried, behind Aerolineas (#1) and Gol (#2)

dcajet

Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:09 am

February 2023 brought some changes to the players between the Argentina - Brazil markets, in terms of passengers carried:

Argentinian & Brazilian carriers:
* Flybondi raced past GOL to become the second largest player
* LATAM overtook GOL by a hair (+441 paxs carried)

1. Aerolineas Argentinas
2. Flybondi
3. LATAM
4. GOL

5th Freedom carriers:

1. Air Canada
2. Emirates
3. Turkish Airlines
4. British Airways NB: BA is ending the GRU-EZE-GRU legs at the end of March
5. Ethiopian Airlines
6. Swiss

Source: ANAC Argentina Estadisticas - Febrero 2023

dcajet

Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:55 pm

Citing "operational needs" LATAM is suspending all flights between GIG and Buenos Aires (AEP & EZE) between 1 APR-30JUN. Services will resume on 1JUL.

https://aeroin.net/latam-ficara-alguns- ... nos-aires/

Aerolineas, Emirates, Flybondi and GOL continue to operate regularly between the two cities.

ojjunior

Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:12 am

Looks like Brazil will have a direct service to Cairo-Egypt.
1st time ever:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1482483

PB26

Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Looks like Brazil will have a direct service to Cairo-Egypt.
1st time ever:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1482483

In the past Panair do Brasil had flights between the countries.

dcajet

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:36 am

The Peruvian arm of JetSMART has filed with the Peruvian regulator a request for authority to fly from points in Peru to points in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Dominican Republic and Ecuador. By far the most extensive request involves Brazil, with 11 routes to 10 Brazilian cities.

Worth remembering this is a request for authority and does not carry a 100% certainty that any of the routes may happen in the short term.

PB26

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:37 pm

dcajet wrote:
The Peruvian arm of JetSMART has filed with the Peruvian regulator a request for authority to fly from points in Peru to points in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Dominican Republic and Ecuador. By far the most extensive request involves Brazil, with 11 routes to 10 Brazilian cities.

Worth remembering this is a request for authority and does not carry a 100% certainty that any of the routes may happen in the short term.

Brazil-Peru route has the LATAM monopoly since Avianca and Gol pulled out the route. It would be welcome Jetsmart to break the monopoly.

PB26

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:38 pm

From March 26, TAP will increase the BSB-LIS from 5x to 6x flights week.

dcajet

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:04 pm

PB26 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Brazil-Peru route has the LATAM monopoly since Avianca and Gol pulled out the route. It would be welcome Jetsmart to break the monopoly.

Most of the routes requested overlap with existing LATAM routes. The question is if there is room for 2 carriers on most of them without a fares bloodbath. We'll see...

pmartin

Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:32 am

I flew 4 times from Europe to Brazil last year. Planes are packed full, in the front and the back, and fares, especially in business, are sky high compared to Asia or South Africa.

dcajet

Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 pm

Change of allegiances in Brazil's domestic airline market:

Gol and VoePass (Passaredo) have cancelled the agreement by which the latter operated certain regional routes for Gol in the states of Bahia, Minas Gerais and Rio Grande do Sul in an effort to compete with Azul's dense regional network. This change comes with a plot's twist. VoePass has now established a partnership with LATAM, which will use VoePass to develop a regional network that will try to chip away at Azul's dominance in this segment.

https://youtu.be/Ejf2LnWtaPo

PB26

Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:45 pm

Since April, 13, Conviasa is flying between Manaus and Puerto Ordaz weekly, with E190.

Since LATAM and Gol pulled out the GRU-CCS, the links between Brazil and Venezuela are almost inexistent, with Avior flew to Manaus with 737.

Galwayman

Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:15 pm

British Airways consolidating GIG with EZE for Winter 23.
777 daily , flights in the system already
Night flights to and from Rio at long last
Presumably fifth freedoms at GIG
Great news for GIG and EZE

Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:49 am

Galwayman wrote:

Before the pandemic, BA was able to make LHR-EZE nonstop work. I guess that post pandemic LHR-EZE isn't performing well. Serving LHR-GIG-EZE allows two destinations to be combined into a single flight.

Service on LHR-GIG for a long time was a daytime departure from LHR, the route has been operated since 2010 I believe. Daytime departures from Europe to South America are common. Nothing seemed wrong with the daytime departure for LHR-GIG, as the route worked for a long time that way. I also don't think LHR-GIG was daily before now. BA used to fly to the 777 on LHR-GIG years ago before it switched to a 787. Capacity will be increased though with the 777 returning on the route following the start of LHR-GIG-EZE.

dcajet

Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:38 pm

American is adding more services at GIG:

Miami – Rio de Janeiro Galeao eff 05DEC23 Increase from 7 to 10 weekly, 777-200ER (AA985/988 operated by 787-8 from 08JAN24)
New York JFK – Rio de Janeiro Galeao 21DEC23 – 07JAN24 Increase from 3 to 7 weekly, 777-200ER

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230425-aanw23

Galwayman

Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:42 pm

3D101CA wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Before the pandemic, BA was able to make LHR-EZE nonstop work. I guess that post pandemic LHR-EZE isn't performing well. Serving LHR-GIG-EZE allows two destinations to be combined into a single flight.

Service on LHR-GIG for a long time was a daytime departure from LHR, the route has been operated since 2010 I believe. Daytime departures from Europe to South America are common. Nothing seemed wrong with the daytime departure for LHR-GIG, as the route worked for a long time that way. I also don't think LHR-GIG was daily before now. BA used to fly to the 777 on LHR-GIG years ago before it switched to a 787. Capacity will be increased though with the 777 returning on the route following the start of LHR-GIG-EZE.

The day time flight LON>GIG had lots of Russian/Israeli transfer passengers connecting in from the Moscow/Tel Aviv red eyes in my experience . Obviously that market now belongs to EK/Tk/QR these days

Yields to EZE are going be a problem for the next year at least

PLus excellent aircraft utilisation . THe case for nonstops ex Europe to EZE ( with the exception of Madrid) must be very difficult for revenue managers to make

dcajet

Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:59 am

Galwayman wrote:
3D101CA wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

The day time flight LON>GIG had lots of Russian/Israeli transfer passengers connecting in from the Moscow/Tel Aviv red eyes in my experience . Obviously that market now belongs to EK/Tk/QR these days

PLus excellent aircraft utilisation . THe case for nonstops ex Europe to EZE ( with the exception of Madrid) must be very difficult for revenue managers to make

While not a nonstop, Swiss is increasing its EZE presence for the NW 23/24. Goes from 2x w to daily service, with a stop at GRU. Seems like there is money to be made on these 5th freedom flights. LX, BA, AC, TK, EK, ET and QR will all feature them next NW. It looks like the 80s are back...

dcajet

Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:03 am

Lufthansa published its network changes for the upcoming NW 2023/24 season. No changes in the Mercosur market at either GRU or EZE but the planned increase of MUC-GIG to 5x week has been canned. The 3x w frequency will remain in place until at least 20MAR2024.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230427-lhnw23

Galwayman

Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:55 pm

pmartin wrote:
I flew 4 times from Europe to Brazil last year. Planes are packed full, in the front and the back, and fares, especially in business, are sky high compared to Asia or South Africa.

I flew 3 times last year and found the airfares in business dirt cheap - less than $1500 frequently on many airlines on many days including over Christmas and NYE. Business class from Europe to Brazil is the best bargain on the planet these days

Galwayman

Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:57 pm

dcajet wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
3D101CA wrote:

While not a nonstop, Swiss is increasing its EZE presence for the NW 23/24. Goes from 2x w to daily service, with a stop at GRU. Seems like there is money to be made on these 5th freedom flights. LX, BA, AC, TK, EK, ET and QR will all feature them next NW. It looks like the 80s are back...

Its just the perfect use of a European airframe. Tag to EZE before overnight to Europe . The accountants must love it. Only Iberia should be doing nonstop EZE to Europe really

voxkel

Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:22 am

Galwayman wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Its just the perfect use of a European airframe. Tag to EZE before overnight to Europe . The accountants must love it. Only Iberia should be doing nonstop EZE to Europe really

I'm more surprised that they are consolidating EZE with GIG and making LHR-GIG daily. Is there really that much high yielding demand to GIG? If BA for some reason doesn't want to fly to EZE nonstop wouldn't a LHR-GRU-EZE (on top of the existing BA247 LHR-GRU) make more sense?

The fact that LHR will have nonstop to SCL but not EZE is surprising - are the yields that much higher in SCL?

On another note - Europe to EZE nonstop isn't that bad for aircraft utilization. I.E. LV2601/2602 (BCN-EZE-BCN) is only on the ground in EZE for 2 hours. Both directions are done in the night.

dcajet

Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:57 am

voxkel wrote:

On another note - Europe to EZE nonstop isn't that bad for aircraft utilization. I.E. LV2601/2602 (BCN-EZE-BCN) is only on the ground in EZE for 2 hours. Both directions are done in the night.

European airlines do not stop for long at EZE, their turn arounds are usually 2-4 hours long. The only exception is Lufthansa that leaves its 747-8 parked at EZE for around 10 hours.

The aircraft utilization the previous poster is referring as to improving is for aircraft sitting all day at GRU, not at EZE.

Galwayman

Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:44 am

voxkel wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I'm more surprised that they are consolidating EZE with GIG and making LHR-GIG daily. Is there really that much high yielding demand to GIG? If BA for some reason doesn't want to fly to EZE nonstop wouldn't a LHR-GRU-EZE (on top of the existing BA247 LHR-GRU) make more sense?

The fact that LHR will have nonstop to SCL but not EZE is surprising - are the yields that much higher in SCL?

Rio has massive financial and oil business sectors(its not just a beach town) , Brazil is the most important economy in SA. Chile has mineral wealth and is possibly the richest country in South America ....... Argentina is getting poorer and poorer every day. Both SCL and GIG are significantly more important than EZE will ever be again.

LEVEL is a low cost airline transporting lots of Argentians with Italian passports to their jobs in Europe and thats perfect for EZE

winGl3t

Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:04 pm

Don`t forget EZE-GIG-EZE during IATA Winter is a goldmine, high yield local fare as Argentinas invade Rio, Cabo Frio and Buzios especially from January to April. I'm sure BA will be happier than flying BUE-GRU-BUE (wich they were doing last Winter season and is nothing but a bloodbath)

RAGAZZO777

Tue May 09, 2023 10:48 pm

LATAM (LP) is relaunching its Lima-Foz do Iguaçu service on November 1, 2023. This route was operated daily until 2020 when it was suspended due to the pandemic.

These new flights will be operated three times weekly with Airbus 319/320 aircraft:

LA2424 | LIM-IGU 0040-0635 Wed, Fri, Sun
LA2425 | IGU-LIM 0800-1005 Wed, Fri, Sun

Source: http://www.aviacionline.com/2023/05/latam-retomara-sus-vuelos-entre-lima-y-foz-do-iguacu-despues-de-cuatro-anos/

dcajet

Thu May 11, 2023 3:47 pm

Sao Paulo GRU - Mendoza MDZ is fast becoming the most successful and competitive route from an Argentinian secondary airport to Brazil. Gol will add 2x w frequencies between 30MAY-31JUL, for a total of 5x w flights. Aerolineas Argentinas and LATAM Brazil also serve this city pair.

https://www.aviacionnews.com/2023/05/ma ... san-pablo/

PB26

Thu May 11, 2023 5:51 pm

Brazilian discovered Mendoza with its wine, Andes and other attraction and the Peso devaluation is become the secondary cities more attractive.

dcajet

Sat May 13, 2023 6:40 pm

PB26 wrote:
Brazilian discovered Mendoza with its wine, Andes and other attraction and the Peso devaluation is become the secondary cities more attractive.

Apparently renting out wineries as venues for rich paulistas' weddings is the new thing. And very Instagramable.

dcajet

Sat May 13, 2023 6:45 pm

After the incident involving Azul's flight AD4372 in Salvador (BA), the SNA union (Sindicato Nacional dos Aernonautas) expressed concern and warned of the conditions of fatigue to which Brazilian crew members are subjected. In January 2023, the SNA conducted a survey to measure the fatigue levels of Brazilian crew members and determine how fatigue is managed by airlines. The survey was answered by more than 4,300 crew members and showed that, in the two months prior to the survey, 43.08% of the crew noticed signs of fatigue during operations at least three times a week. Another 27.97% felt fatigue twice a week and 16.27% said they felt fatigue at least once a week.

https://aeroin.net/sindicato-alerta-par ... -da-pista/

Galwayman

Tue May 16, 2023 11:17 am

winGl3t wrote:
Don`t forget EZE-GIG-EZE during IATA Winter is a goldmine, high yield local fare as Argentinas invade Rio, Cabo Frio and Buzios especially from January to April. I'm sure BA will be happier than flying BUE-GRU-BUE (wich they were doing last Winter season and is nothing but a bloodbath)

Yes exactly, good move by BA

dcajet

Wed May 17, 2023 6:07 pm

During the month of JUL2023 COPA will fly daily to Porto Alegre POA. Currently the airline flies on the PTY-POA route 6x w; it increases to daily during JUL, then goes down to 6x w during AUG and then further reduced to 4x w during SEP/OCT. All services operate with the 737-800s.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2023/05/co ... to-alegre/

PB26

Fri May 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Zurich Airport AG won the bid for the Natal - São Gonçalo do Amarante Airport (NAT) with offer of R$ 320 million (around U$$ 64 million), the first privatization under Lula Government.

São Gonçalo do Amarante was the first airport to be granted to the private sector, won by argentian Corporación América, in 2011. In the 2020, the company returned the airport for the federal government.

dcajet

Tue May 23, 2023 2:00 am

Following the incident of an E-195 E-2 that left the runway during a landing at Salvador's 17/35 1,518 m runway (mainly used by GA) during a rainstorm at night, Azul is restricting the operation of the E-2s in short runways throughout Brazil.

This means that Santos Dumont (Rio de Janeiro), Corumbá, Ilhéus, Joinville, Passo Fundo, Sinop and Sorriso airports should not receive any more E195-E2 flights while the restriction lasts. Other airports with a runway length close to 1,700 meters may be affected, such as Cascavel, Imperatriz and Navegantes, in addition to auxiliary runways at larger airports.

This measure is pending a preliminary report on the incident by Brazil's CENIPA.

https://aeroin.net/azul-coloca-restrico ... -salvador/

dcajet

Tue May 23, 2023 5:46 pm

Two US-Brazil services are being cut short or having their planned frequencies increase suspended

* Delta is ending its seasonal JFK-GIG seasonal service earlier than originally planned. It will now end on 21FEB24 instead of 20MAR24

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230523-dlnw23jfkgig

* GOL will not increase frequencies on the FOR-MIA route as planned, remaining at 1x w instead of 3x w

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230523-g31q24formia

dcajet

Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:33 am

Dominican low cost Arajet will start regular services on the Santo Domingo - Sao Paulo GRU route on 21SEP, 3x w with their MAX 8s. Initially the LCC had announced a series of charters to GRU around the same dates, but it seems the airline has secured the appropriate rights/permits to begin regularly scheduled services.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2023/06/ar ... -a-brasil/

PB26

Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:24 pm

A new E2 operator in Brazil: Placar Linhas Aéreas will receive the former Embraer's Profit Hunter in June 8th.

It's interesting this airline, it is founded by two investor whose one is the president of Palmeiras, a major soccer team, with intention to transport the team.

The intention of the president is the E2 fly ad-hoc charters not only for Palmeiras, but for other brazilian teams.

https://www.airway.com.br/jato-embraer- ... -de-junho/

PB26

Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:18 pm

Virgin Atlantic will start flights between GRU and LHR on May, 13, 2024.

The flight will be in daily basis, with B789.

In 2020, VS announced LHR-GRU, but the pandemic shut down the plans.

Link in portuguese:
https://www.airway.com.br/virgin-atlant ... sao-paulo/

gatibosgru

Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:37 pm

Great to see VS to GRU! Will there be connection opps with LA? Always thought GIG would have been a good leisure market for them, but maybe 2 players on LHR-GIG is overkill.

edit: Nevermind, it says so in the article.

PB26

Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:42 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Great to see VS to GRU! Will there be connection opps with LA? Always thought GIG would have been a good leisure market for them, but maybe 2 players on LHR-GIG is overkill.

edit: Nevermind, it says so in the article.

GIG hasn't market for what Virgin Atlantic offers, but Norse may be fly LGW-GIG, like Norwegian did until 2020.

DCA350

Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:34 pm

Condor is adding FRA to GRU..

https://www.aviacionline.com/2023/06/co ... to-brazil/

The article says with their dated 767s.. I hope that is a misprint, as it wouldn't be a competitive product vs their phenomenal A330NEOs..

veeway

Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:00 pm

Does anybody know the status of the Miami-Manaus service by GOL?
Are they cutting this route? I cannot find availability past August 2023 and I'm booked on the flight in September, though GOL hasn't contacted me regarding a cancellation or re-accommodation.
I really hope they don't cut this route, Manaus has been connected to Miami for many years before the pandemic and it would be a shame to lose the quick connection to South Florida..
Regards

dcajet

Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:38 am

Brazilian aviation/travel journalist and vlogger, Luiz Machado, is reporting that Azul had requested 300 pairs of slots to begin operations between Sao Paulo/Campinas VCP and London LHR this upcoming NW23. ACL, the slot coordinator at LHR, has denied the request and it appears that Azul's delicate financial situation was the reason for the denial.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/06GR1IpxHzs

dcajet

Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:14 am

Further confirming the short tenure of the A350s with Azul, the 2 frames still parked at LDE (PR-AOX msn 153) and AUH (PR-AOZ msn 197) will be joining the Iberia fleet over the coming months. These 2 frames never actually flew for Azul, as they were with Hong Kong Air since new in 2017/8, as part of the HNA/Azul partnership.

The 2 active A350s are expected to leave the Azul fleet by year's end and join the Thai Airlines fleet.

dcajet

Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:36 am

Azul cancels its year-round regular nonstop service between Florianopolis FLN and Montevideo MVD, announced last year. It appears that seasonal service will return in DEC23. In the meantime, Azul will offer service to MVD via Porto Alegre POA.

https://aeroin.net/azul-suspende-voos-e ... ontevideu/

Galwayman

Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:22 am

dcajet wrote:
Brazilian aviation/travel journalist and vlogger, Luiz Machado, is reporting that Azul had requested 300 pairs of slots to begin operations between Sao Paulo/Campinas VCP and London LHR this upcoming NW23. ACL, the slot coordinator at LHR, has denied the request and it appears that Azul's delicate financial situation was the reason for the denial.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/06GR1IpxHzs

And yet VS was granted slots despite being permanetly broke. Maybe they have different rules for UK airlines.

Jomar777

Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:22 am

dcajet wrote:
Further confirming the short tenure of the A350s with Azul, the 2 frames still parked at LDE (PR-AOX msn 153) and AUH (PR-AOZ msn 197) will be joining the Iberia fleet over the coming months. These 2 frames never actually flew for Azul, as they were with Hong Kong Air since new in 2017/8, as part of the HNA/Azul partnership.

The 2 active A350s are expected to leave the Azul fleet by year's end and join the Thai Airlines fleet.

Do you have a source for the demise of the two A359s Azul have (and that are on the ORY route presently)? Where did this get published? The two "extra" aircrafts you mention were never announced as forthcoming to Azul and probably wiuill end up on IB because the latter is actively looking for increase on their fleet capacity.

Azul is currently in process of trainign their crew to operate the A350 and, apart for these two that they currently have, have not announced any other A350s.

Azul's A339s carry only 36 passengers less than their A359s but are much lighter. Besides, they have greater commonality to their A332s which are leaving the fleet so it could make sense. But it would be the seond time of many that the A350 actually fails on the Brazilian/South American Market (despite some European carriers using the frame on their flights to Brazil/South America).

nicode

Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:37 am

Azul don't need two lonelies A350 for the ORY route only. A339 should be enough on this route.

Galwayman

Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:40 pm

nicode wrote:
Azul don't need two lonelies A350 for the ORY route only. A339 should be enough on this route.

That’s probably why the applied for LHR..

dcajet

Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:39 pm

Jomar777 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Do you have a source for the demise of the two A359s Azul have (and that are on the ORY route presently)? Where did this get published? The two "extra" aircrafts you mention were never announced as forthcoming to Azul and probably wiuill end up on IB because the latter is actively looking for increase on their fleet capacity.

Azul is currently in process of trainign their crew to operate the A350 and, apart for these two that they currently have, have not announced any other A350s.

Azul's A339s carry only 36 passengers less than their A359s but are much lighter. Besides, they have greater commonality to their A332s which are leaving the fleet so it could make sense. But it would be the seond time of many that the A350 actually fails on the Brazilian/South American Market (despite some European carriers using the frame on their flights to Brazil/South America).

Here is the source: https://youtu.be/YcJQBI4PYJM

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos