Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingMSY

Re: Southwest Airlines News and Discussion - 2023

Tue May 16, 2023 4:40 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
WNCrew wrote:
Just our of curiosity: what was the last (newest) -700 delivery that WN accepted? When did this occur and what is the tail #?

I believe 969 (delivered 2011) is the newest 737-7H4. Most if not all of the -700s with four digit tail numbers (many but not all of which are former FL) were added afterwards but are older.

Yep, N969WN was delivered on 21 Dec 2011 and is the youngest -700 in the WN fleet.

N556WN is the 7BD that was the most recent that was originally ordered by FL but was never delivered in FL colors; however, 556 was delivered on 14 Apr 2011.

Coinciding with the delivery of the last new 73G was the start of 738 deliveries, with the delivery of N8301J (Warrior One) starting the ball rolling on 8 Mar 2012. Since then (and until the MAX 7 gets certified), WN has only been taking delivery of new 800s/MAX 8s from Boeing, in addition to used 73Gs.

jplatts

Fri May 19, 2023 9:11 am

ELP can likely easily support WN nonstop service to MDW with
(a) UA going to be completely dropping ELP-ORD nonstop service on 6/1/2023,
(b) ELP-ORD going to be down to only 1 daily nonstop on American Eagle after UA drops ELP-ORD nonstop service,
(c) the O&D PDEW of ELP-CHI being 150 passengers/day in Q4 2022, which is approximately double the capacity that would be available on the remaining American Eagle ELP-ORD nonstop flights,
(d) the significant amount of market share that WN has in both the El Paso and Chicago markets, and
(e) there being some passengers that do connect to domestic destinations east of Chicago from ELP.

TerminalD

Fri May 19, 2023 12:06 pm

jplatts wrote:
ELP can likely easily support WN nonstop service to MDW with
(a) UA going to be completely dropping ELP-ORD nonstop service on 6/1/2023,
(b) ELP-ORD going to be down to only 1 daily nonstop on American Eagle after UA drops ELP-ORD nonstop service,
(c) the O&D PDEW of ELP-CHI being 150 passengers/day in Q4 2022, which is approximately double the capacity that would be available on the remaining American Eagle ELP-ORD nonstop flights,
(d) the significant amount of market share that WN has in both the El Paso and Chicago markets, and
(e) there being some passengers that do connect to domestic destinations east of Chicago from ELP.

ELP-ORD is showing resumed in September assuming that's a real schedule.

sonnyr23

Fri May 19, 2023 5:30 pm

I just don't see ORD - ELP in the cards for WN. I could be wrong . At the most i'm speculating a possible thru flight of ORD-DAL-ELP and vice versa.

jplatts

Thu May 25, 2023 3:27 pm

WN adding DEN-MBJ/NAS/SJU nonstop service are possibilities as (a) the addition of WN DEN-MBJ/NAS/SJU nonstop service would allow WN to better compete against UA/F9 in the DEN market and (b) the addition of WN DEN-MBJ/NAS/SJU nonstop service would provide better connectivity to the Caribbean from contiguous U.S. destinations west of DEN on WN.

DEN-SJU is also within the range of WN's 737 MAX 8 planes as WN operates a few nonstop routes longer than DEN-SJU such as LAS-HNL/LIH and PHX-HNL/OGG.

There are also some more DEN to contiguous U.S. East Coast adds/resumptions that WN can make at DEN such as the return of WN DEN-CLT/MHT/PVD nonstop service and the addition of WN DEN-GSP/PWM/ROC nonstop service.

Lilj4425

Thu May 25, 2023 5:00 pm

Not gonna happen. WN only seems to care about Hawaii now a days.

sonnyr23

Fri May 26, 2023 7:53 am

I just started with United recently after working 16 plus yrs with Southwest. UA just announced a huge bump in flights in DEN. A few of my old cohorts i talk to with Southwest or text all share the same opinion that WN its stagnant. I retired so what i make part time with UA just puts me at my max i can make while collecting early SS benefits.
I agree with what Lilj4425 says that Hawaii seems to be all that matters to WN. I'm not arguing or disagreeing on your thoughts JPLATTS and i hope they all come to fruition.
I applied for a Ramp Agent position at ORD recently for WN as i am or at least told that i am a Rehire. I live in the Milwaukee area. So i receive a reply from WN that i do not meet the requirements and qualifications to be a Ramp Agent @ ORD for WN.
16.5 years from 2005 to 2021 being a one time $5K kick tail prize winner, and new hire trainer. I was later told that because i'm a resident of Wisconsin that i was disqualified . Only residents of Illinois and Indiana can apply.
Now the funny thing is that both border cities of Hammond, Indiana and Kenosha, Wisconsin are about the same driving distance from ORD.
So a person who lives in Evansville, Indiana is eligible to work at either ORD or MDW. Wisconsin must have seceded from the United States at some point. So i talk to a Rep from what used to be The People Department and all i can say is that it was 10 minutes of my life that i'll never get back.
Back in my day @ 64 years old most companies chose the best candidates for the Job but What the Hell do i know. A few of my former WN coworkers @ ORD were looking at me as The Calvary arriving in the nick of time.
I look @ WN and i still wish them all the best and hope they have a Technology - IT free Summer and get a deal done with the pilots.

737MAX7

Fri May 26, 2023 1:22 pm

For anyone interested Nevada One has been repainted onto N8646B and she looks gorgeous. I wish I knew how to post a picture but I’m assuming it will be back in the fleet soon. The state liveries look so much better on the -800’s imo.

bob75013

Fri May 26, 2023 1:27 pm

jplatts wrote:
WN adding DEN-MBJ/NAS/SJU nonstop service are possibilities as (a) the addition of WN DEN-MBJ/NAS/SJU nonstop service would allow WN to better compete against UA/F9 in the DEN market and (b) the addition of WN DEN-MBJ/NAS/SJU nonstop service would provide better connectivity to the Caribbean from contiguous U.S. destinations west of DEN on WN.

DEN-SJU is also within the range of WN's 737 MAX 8 planes as WN operates a few nonstop routes longer than DEN-SJU such as LAS-HNL/LIH and PHX-HNL/OGG.

There are also some more DEN to contiguous U.S. East Coast adds/resumptions that WN can make at DEN such as the return of WN DEN-CLT/MHT/PVD nonstop service and the addition of WN DEN-GSP/PWM/ROC nonstop service.

Well, WN will do osmehting with all those new DEN gates -- but it does need aircraft and crew to do so.

CLT704

Fri May 26, 2023 2:22 pm

jplatts wrote:

I really hope WN brings back year round DEN-CLT. It's been operating once per week for the last month or two. Definitely a WN station I would like to be linked up to year round.

Of course, lack of crew/planes can put a damper on such things.

SWADawg

Wed May 31, 2023 4:23 pm

It looks like New Mexico One and California One will be moved onto -800’s starting in July. In the case of New Mexico One, that plane is probably due for retirement in the next month or so. California One is on a newer -700, so I don’t know if it’s a lease return or if Southwest has made the decision to move all the state flag liveries onto the -800 fleet instead.

INFINITI329

Wed May 31, 2023 5:02 pm

sonnyr23 wrote:
few of my old cohorts i talk to with Southwest or text all share the same opinion that WN its stagnant.

Understatement

SWADawg wrote:
It looks like New Mexico One and California One will be moved onto -800’s starting in July. In the case of New Mexico One, that plane is probably due for retirement in the next month or so. California One is on a newer -700, so I don’t know if it’s a lease return or if Southwest has made the decision to move all the state flag liveries onto the -800 fleet instead.

Current California One N943WN landed in GEG on May 30th and hasn't flown since. I suspect this is for repaint unless it went out of service in GEG.

n471wn

Wed May 31, 2023 5:41 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
sonnyr23 wrote:
few of my old cohorts i talk to with Southwest or text all share the same opinion that WN its stagnant.

Understatement

SWADawg wrote:

Current California One N943WN landed in GEG on May 30th and hasn't flown since. I suspect this is for repaint unless it went out of service in GEG.

N943WN is one of the newest of the 410 737-700’s. No way will it be retired.

ktg117

Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:08 pm

After doing some research, it doesn’t appear that N943WN is a leased aircraft, so this is odd that it’s being repainted and moved to an -800.

Also, I noticed last month Missouri One (N280WN) spent extended time in GEG. Do we know if that was one repainted?

Dtwramp

Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:22 pm

Also, I noticed last month Missouri One (N280WN) spent extended time in GEG. Do we know if that was one repainted?[/quote]
Yes it was. Still Missouri one.

ltbewr

Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:03 pm

An off-duty nurse, ex-nurse boyfriend help a passenger with a medical emergency on a recent WN flight FLL-BAL. They volunteered to help when a request went out on the flight, where the passenger had their breathing and heart stopped. They were able the revise and stabilize the person before the flight diverted to Raleigh, NC airport a few minutes later. The other passengers 'high-fived' the pair of saviors. While the actual nature of the health problem wasn't disclosed, the wife of the sick passenger said he was recovering. One possibly could be an embolism ('deep vain' ?). https://www.yahoo.com/news/nurse-her-bo ... 03565.html

ktg117

Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:06 pm

SWADawg wrote:

Figured New Mexico One was due, but not California One. Do you know which aircraft they are being repainted onto yet?

Dtwramp

Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:43 am

Flflyer83

Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:48 am

ltbewr wrote:
An off-duty nurse, ex-nurse boyfriend help a passenger with a medical emergency on a recent WN flight FLL-BAL. They volunteered to help when a request went out on the flight, where the passenger had their breathing and heart stopped. They were able the revise and stabilize the person before the flight diverted to Raleigh, NC airport a few minutes later. The other passengers 'high-fived' the pair of saviors. While the actual nature of the health problem wasn't disclosed, the wife of the sick passenger said he was recovering. One possibly could be an embolism ('deep vain' ?). https://www.yahoo.com/news/nurse-her-bo ... 03565.html

It happens on flights every day.

sonnyr23

Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:57 am

Always great to hear of a Doctor and/ or Nurse who are traveling on a flight who will step up to attend to a fellow passenger who is having serious health issues.
Encouraging to see that AA & Fed Ex Pilots now have a TA ( Tentative Agreement ) which should light the Fire of Southwest to get a TA done for their pilots. It looks like TWU555 and Southwest could have a TA on the horizon for its Ramp, Ops, Provisioning, Cargo- Freight but you just don't know if you can hit that huge patch of Black Ice driving on The Autobahn - Highway of Negotiations.

avi8

Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:16 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

It happens on flights every day.

I actually assisted a passenger on an AA flight two weeks ago. She had an episode of syncope and came back to baseline a few minutes after almost passing out. I asked her about her past medical history, took her vitals and a rapid glucose test and everything was fine. I’m sad it didn’t make the news though (just kidding).

Jshank83

Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:18 pm

My UA flight last week they called for a doctor. Luckily it must not have been a big deal. We didn’t divert and the doc ended up going back to his seat after 15 minutes or so.

jplatts

Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:26 pm

There is an article from Simple Flying at https://simpleflying.com/southwest-airl ... -shortage/ that states that WN CEO Bob Jordan predicts that the pilot shortage will last another 3 years.

n471wn

Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:12 pm

jplatts wrote:
There is an article from Simple Flying at https://simpleflying.com/southwest-airl ... -shortage/ that states that WN CEO Bob Jordan predicts that the pilot shortage will last another 3 years.

Something wrong here as SWA does not have 40 aircraft parked, I think he means that with the pilot shortage the daily utilization is the equivalent of having 40 too many aircraft. Or in other words, if they had enough pilots the utilization would increase to the equivalent of 40 more aircraft.

n471wn

Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:25 pm

The oldest 700 in the WN fleet was retired today. N736SA flew ATL to BHM and is done,

LAXintl

Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:09 am

TWU representing flight attendants have reportedly reached a tentative agreement.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... ant-union/

ChetManly24

Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:42 pm

LAXintl wrote:
TWU representing flight attendants have reportedly reached a tentative agreement.

Ill be shocked if this passes honestly from what im hearing

alasizon

Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:14 pm

n471wn wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Something wrong here as SWA does not have 40 aircraft parked, I think he means that with the pilot shortage the daily utilization is the equivalent of having 40 too many aircraft. Or in other words, if they had enough pilots the utilization would increase to the equivalent of 40 more aircraft.

There are roughly 50 spares in the system each day. At least half of those are unallocated due to lack of crew hours.

SXDFC

Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:49 pm

ktg117 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Figured New Mexico One was due, but not California One. Do you know which aircraft they are being repainted onto yet?

N8653A will be California One
N8655D will be New Mexico One

N943WN was due for paint, it started to look pretty shabby.

N409WN (Triple Crown One) leaves the fleet next year. That one is also looking very shabby.

ktg117

Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:11 pm

SXDFC wrote:
ktg117 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

N8653A will be California One
N8655D will be New Mexico One

N943WN was due for paint, it started to look pretty shabby.

N409WN (Triple Crown One) leaves the fleet next year. That one is also looking very shabby.

Copy, thanks for the info.

And yeah, doing some research N943WN was repainted into California One over six years ago, so no doubt it was looking a bit shabby. I saw Triple Crown One back in March and it was looking a bit rough, especially with it's mismatched nose.

So I'm guessing N943WN will emerge from GEG as a normal Heart repaint then? If so, then it kind of makes me wonder why they didn't just repaint Missouri One onto an -800 that was due for repaint...

Jshank83

Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:53 pm

Schedule update on Thursday. I don't want to go down the they could add XXX-XXX route road but high level in general do we think much will be added? I don't know historical if holidays see many adds besides some extra flights right around the actual holiday. I would love to see some international adds. I am just not sure how much staffing is still going to be holding things back.

AC4500

Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:48 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Schedule update on Thursday. I don't want to go down the they could add XXX-XXX route road but high level in general do we think much will be added? I don't know historical if holidays see many adds besides some extra flights right around the actual holiday. I would love to see some international adds. I am just not sure how much staffing is still going to be holding things back.

Yeah, maybe a couple holiday increases. Maybe more Hawaii, or Palm Springs. Not much beyond that, IMO.

KCaviator

Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:09 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Will MCI continue to grow?

sonnyr23

Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:50 am

How time goes by. It will be 6 months since the holiday meltdown of 2022. Still a ways to go yet but curious to see how the holiday booking numbers are looking.

cledaybuck

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:14 pm

sonnyr23 wrote:
How time goes by. It will be 6 months since the holiday meltdown of 2022. Still a ways to go yet but curious to see how the holiday booking numbers are looking.

Holiday bookings are currently 0 on WN. :rotfl:

Midwestindy

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:37 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

There is zero certainty on aircraft deliveries right now, which I think is arguably the biggest issue

FiscAutTecGarte

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:34 pm

ChetManly24 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

What specifically are folks objecting to? What does the tentative agreement have and what does it lack?

LongLayover

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:14 pm

What are the chances of WN restarting DAL-OKC in the future?

sonnyr23

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:34 pm

Stupid me. Inventory for travel during Holidays not available. RIP to Kevin Carney a longtime representative for TWU 555. ( Ramp, Provisioning, Operations, Freight, Cargo )

alpine1989

Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:10 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

There is zero certainty on aircraft deliveries right now, which I think is arguably the biggest issue

The biggest issue is pilot pipeline. There are approximately 70 spare aircraft in system right now. In 2019 there were zero spares.

n471wn

Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:13 am

alpine1989 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

The biggest issue is pilot pipeline. There are approximately 70 spare aircraft in system right now. In 2019 there were zero spares.

Bob Jordan said 40

Flflyer83

Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:36 am

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
ChetManly24 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

What specifically are folks objecting to? What does the tentative agreement have and what does it lack?

Nothing, because it’s an AIP (agreement in principal) at the moment and the language of the TA (tentative agreement) hasn’t even been written. It’s just a bunch of drama queens posting in Facebook groups like they know.

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:16 am

alpine1989 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

No major airline operates with zero spares....

sonnyr23

Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:55 am

The UBER Plane. !!! A former coworker on the ramp i worked with at GSP said that the union rep there for TWU is giving out gift cards to ramp & ops agents who are using their 10 hour rest rule due to excessive mandatory overtime.
When the GSP Station Manager for Southwest asked to go to the Bid book for additional ramp staffing he was yelled at and they told him " HELL NO " but Southwest compromised and gave him an additional 2 Supervisors.
So in GSP as i write this there are 14 active ramp agents 1 agent on OJI plus 9 Duty Supervisors. The GSP Station Manager for Southwest should have asked Those in charge of staffing @ The Glass Palace for Additional Supervisors and they would have given him maybe the ok to bring in 2 Ramp Agents from the bid book.
We were up to 18 ramp agents and 5 ops agents at GSP in 2020 and 2021 with i think either the same or less flight activity.

alasizon

Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:16 pm

sonnyr23 wrote:
The UBER Plane. !!! A former coworker on the ramp i worked with at GSP said that the union rep there for TWU is giving out gift cards to ramp & ops agents who are using their 10 hour rest rule due to excessive mandatory overtime.
When the GSP Station Manager for Southwest asked to go to the Bid book for additional ramp staffing he was yelled at and they told him " HELL NO " but Southwest compromised and gave him an additional 2 Supervisors.
So in GSP as i write this there are 14 active ramp agents 1 agent on OJI plus 9 Duty Supervisors. The GSP Station Manager for Southwest should have asked Those in charge of staffing @ The Glass Palace for Additional Supervisors and they would have given him maybe the ok to bring in 2 Ramp Agents from the bid book.
We were up to 18 ramp agents and 5 ops agents at GSP in 2020 and 2021 with i think either the same or less flight activity.

Four flights a day... 14 ramp agents is more than enough. This definitely isn't the hill to die on. I highly doubt they have 9 supervisors.

sonnyr23

Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:30 pm

You certainly have your right to your opinion Alasizon but i texted a couple current GSP agents i worked with and they Concur that there is at least on the ramp 14 active and 1 out on OJI ( Injury ) and there are indeed 9 Duty Supervisors so it was not a typo i received from the original text.
I don't know how long the work day is for GSP but if it's say an 18 to 20 more hours business day from the time the ticket counter opens up at say 430am and the Terminating flight comes in from say ATL at 1130 ( 2330 ) and after the bags are dropped at the carousel and hopefully no issues then it's i'm estimating a 19 to 20 hour day which makes making a schedule a difficult task for all the work groups.
When i worked in CHS twice for Southwest it was normally a 20 to 22 hour work day with usually 2 to 3 terminators with 1 of the aircraft we would tow to the pad.
I guess it's the luck of the draw as far as small stations go with some small stations done for the day at 8pm ( 2000 )
For those who like Mandatory Overtime it's great but for those who just want to work their 8 and skate then it could be a quality of life issue.
Any given day especially the weekends you can have 2 agents who are utilizing a vacation day and a free day ( DAT & FTO ) add 2 sick calls to that and you're off to the races. Of the 14 active ramp agents there could be on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 2 agents whose regular days off on each of those days.
Nobody can ever say that The Palace in Dallas believes in not being Top Heavy.

FlyingMSY

Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:37 pm

N943WN took its first flight since entering GEG today. Anyone can confirm if it has been repainted back into standard Heart colours?
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n943wn

strangeplanes

Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:31 pm

Any big moves in the new schedule?

avi8

Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:53 pm

strangeplanes wrote:
Any big moves in the new schedule?

Seeing TPA-ATL back to 5 daily, BNA up to 4 daily and FLL down to 2 daily again.

SXDFC

Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:01 pm

FlyingMSY wrote:
N943WN took its first flight since entering GEG today. Anyone can confirm if it has been repainted back into standard Heart colours?
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n943wn

It’s in the Heart livery.