Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

av8tiongeek

Re: Southwest Airlines News and Discussion - 2023

Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:53 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:
AMALH747430 wrote:

First off, I want to be clear that I am not talking about situations where the cockpit crew declares serving passengers to be unsafe. The situations I talked about above, and the ones I’m going to talk about below are Southwest FA’s not wanting to serve.

Around 2016 I was flying AMA-DAL-SAT (old Southwest bread and butter routes) through flight. The BWI based crew on the AMA-DAL sector complained the whole way about how short the flight was and how it was impossible to serve everyone. I thought this odd as I grew up flying WN (first flight as an unaccompanied minor was SAT-HOU-MSY) back in 1994) and flew their intra Texas routes (SAT-DAL, DAL-LBB, DAL-AMA, LBB-AUS, SAT-HOU, DAL-HOU/IAH, DAL-AUS etc…) countless times and I’d never seen this happen though I’d been noticing the FA’s struggle to get the service done recently before that flight. At DAL there was a crew change and a local cabin crew got on. Like I’d seen many times before, the FA working my section got her pad out and took orders before we took off. She got us served with time to spare. I told her about the previous sector. She shook her had and said that their newer hire FAs, particularly the ones that are based on the coasts, are not used to working bread and butter short haul routes (intra TX, CA, etc…) and don’t take the time/effort to figure out how to make it work like the veteran DAL and HOU based FA’s do. She was very annoyed with the way those crews treat those flights.

Later on, I asked a co-worker who used to be a Southwest FA about it. He said the same thing. He said he even had a system worked out to get a service done on the short BUR-LAS flights.

I suspect that this has been exacerbated because many of the more seasoned crews took buyouts during the pandemic, leaving the more junior crews that weren’t “raised” on WN’s intra-Texas short haul flights.

The 73G’s with the slimline seats only have 6 more seats total (2 per FA) than the 737-300s did (143 vs 137) so it’s not an increased aircraft capacity issue.

WN is basically just another big airline these days. They have different marketing ploys that AA, DL, and UA, but their employees aren’t any friendlier than those at the other major airlines. It’s not like the “old days” when WN was a scrappy, eccentric regional LCC. It doesn’t have the same personality it used to, and neither do the employees. That’s to be expected when a company gets that big.

Things that WN flight attendants used to do that they shouldn’t have been doing before and aren’t supposed to do now…

— Take drink orders while on the ground after forward entry door was closed
— Get up from the jumpseats prior to reaching 10,000 feet and a safe walking attitude to take orders/start prepping the galley
— Prefill cups with ice/stage the trays with iced cups
— Have the assistance of jumpseat riders while the seatbelt sign is on
— Have a menu of mixed cocktails and drinks that passengers stare at for minutes on end and then order multiple drinks

If you have a situation that you find unsatisfactory, write a letter to southwest/submit it on their website. The flight attendants supervisor sees each one and then the crew has to file an official response to their supervisor and it is placed and in their employee file.

I did that a couple of times, they apologized profusely and sent vouchers, then I’d have trouble on the next trip (I’m not talking just about in cabin service), so I did one better, switched airlines. Voting with your wallet does more than writing in. Haven’t flown Southwest in over a year and it’s been over 3 years since I used them with any regularity. Became a happy Platinum on UA then a happy Platinum Pro on AA after moving to Dallas just over a year ago.

I’ll note that in the past while they’d frequently take orders on the ground, they were able to get the service done without taking orders on the ground too. I also don’t recall FA’s getting up before the 10,000 ft “ding.” It’s just a company getting bigger, resting on their laurels, and slipping into complacency. NBD, jut the way things go. They’re not going anywhere.

Also, with as many short haul flights as they have, I don’t know why they don’t just go to those “mini” 7.5 cans of soda and 8 oz bottles of water, that way they can just hand them out and not have to worry about pouring drinks. Better yet, do like UA did when I was flying them regularly in 2021 and hand out the whole 12 oz can. Speeds up service and makes the customer happy.

They absolutely did get up before 10,000 for years. They did this by ignoring the FAR about safety related duties only. Thankfully, they now cross-check doors as that procedure wasn't implemented until after the FL acquisition. WN lacks when it comes to industry standards.

SWADawg

Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:10 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
AMALH747430 wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:

Things that WN flight attendants used to do that they shouldn’t have been doing before and aren’t supposed to do now…

— Take drink orders while on the ground after forward entry door was closed
— Get up from the jumpseats prior to reaching 10,000 feet and a safe walking attitude to take orders/start prepping the galley
— Prefill cups with ice/stage the trays with iced cups
— Have the assistance of jumpseat riders while the seatbelt sign is on
— Have a menu of mixed cocktails and drinks that passengers stare at for minutes on end and then order multiple drinks

If you have a situation that you find unsatisfactory, write a letter to southwest/submit it on their website. The flight attendants supervisor sees each one and then the crew has to file an official response to their supervisor and it is placed and in their employee file.

I did that a couple of times, they apologized profusely and sent vouchers, then I’d have trouble on the next trip (I’m not talking just about in cabin service), so I did one better, switched airlines. Voting with your wallet does more than writing in. Haven’t flown Southwest in over a year and it’s been over 3 years since I used them with any regularity. Became a happy Platinum on UA then a happy Platinum Pro on AA after moving to Dallas just over a year ago.

I’ll note that in the past while they’d frequently take orders on the ground, they were able to get the service done without taking orders on the ground too. I also don’t recall FA’s getting up before the 10,000 ft “ding.” It’s just a company getting bigger, resting on their laurels, and slipping into complacency. NBD, jut the way things go. They’re not going anywhere.

Also, with as many short haul flights as they have, I don’t know why they don’t just go to those “mini” 7.5 cans of soda and 8 oz bottles of water, that way they can just hand them out and not have to worry about pouring drinks. Better yet, do like UA did when I was flying them regularly in 2021 and hand out the whole 12 oz can. Speeds up service and makes the customer happy.

They absolutely did get up before 10,000 for years. They did this by ignoring the FAR about safety related duties only. Thankfully, they now cross-check doors as that procedure wasn't implemented until after the FL acquisition. WN lacks when it comes to industry standards.

That’s factually incorrect. WN cross checked doors for years well before the AirTran acquisition. It’s been a standard PA between the B F/A and the front of the cabin for years.

av8tiongeek

Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:30 pm

SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
AMALH747430 wrote:

That’s factually incorrect. WN cross checked doors for years well before the AirTran acquisition. It’s been a standard PA between the B F/A and the front of the cabin for years.

We did not use the terms arm/disarm or crosscheck doors before the acquisition.

freakyrat

Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:31 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
To my total surprise, I saw two Desert Gold Southwest jets, both heavily parted out, when driving by BHM today. I was nearly positive that N711HK was broken up, since it did not seem like they were storing any in hangars. N714CB has been outside for the last few months. However, the second tail means that N711HK is still alive but in a partially scrapped state. Certainly not going to fly again, but I absolutely thought it was gone. Didn't have my camera but got a picture on my phone.

Boeing has 1 and maybe 2 MAX7's in the desert gold livery as soon as the FAA certifies the MAX7.

ChetManly24

Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:36 pm

freakyrat wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
To my total surprise, I saw two Desert Gold Southwest jets, both heavily parted out, when driving by BHM today. I was nearly positive that N711HK was broken up, since it did not seem like they were storing any in hangars. N714CB has been outside for the last few months. However, the second tail means that N711HK is still alive but in a partially scrapped state. Certainly not going to fly again, but I absolutely thought it was gone. Didn't have my camera but got a picture on my phone.

Boeing has 1 and maybe 2 MAX7's in the desert gold livery as soon as the FAA certifies the MAX7.

Max 7’s in throwback livery?

Huh?

SWADawg

Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:41 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Yes we did.

DfwRevolution

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:28 pm

sonnyr23 wrote:
Read on Yahoo moments ago that there are Shareholders of Southwest who are filing class a class action lawsuit due to Gary Kelly when he was CEO not disclosing the technology problems and other issues as well that has devalued the stock price significantly.

There is entire cadre of law firms who do nothing but spam shareholder lawsuits all day long. Business writers have termed this “everything is securities fraud.” It’s not worth putting a lot of stock into - if you’ll excuse the pun.

freakyrat

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:33 pm

ChetManly24 wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Huh?

I stand corrected both jets were replaced with a single Herb Kelleher B737MAX8 in the Desert Gold Livey.

ChetManly24

Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:15 am

freakyrat wrote:
ChetManly24 wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

Huh?

I stand corrected both jets were replaced with a single Herb Kelleher B737MAX8 in the Desert Gold Livey.

Correct. And a Canyon Blue Retro for Colleen Barrett.

Flflyer83

Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:37 am

av8tiongeek wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

WN definitely did use the terms “armed for departure” and “disarmed for arrival” long before the acquisition of AirTran… WN did not, however, use the term “cross checked”.

zuckie13

Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:06 pm

Sounds like Southwest pilots are threatening a strike authorization vote on May 1. Obviously doing this to light a fire under contract negotiations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/18/southwe ... trike.html

Jshank83

Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:48 pm

Southwest adding daily MCI-LGB. March 9th

Figured this would be on the short list

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/so ... long-beach

sonnyr23

Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:52 am

It's great that after all these years especially during the Gary Kelly regime that Most of the work groups of Southwest have Southwest by the certain part of the anatomy.
I have a good vibe that Current SWA CEO, Bob Jordan will try to bring back to the employees of Southwest a little bit of Herb Kelleher's roots & legacy but then again i could be wrong.
The Palace needs to be Roto Rootered and The Trash taken out.

freakyrat

Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:20 pm

sonnyr23 wrote:
It's great that after all these years especially during the Gary Kelly regime that Most of the work groups of Southwest have Southwest by the certain part of the anatomy.
I have a good vibe that Current SWA CEO, Bob Jordan will try to bring back to the employees of Southwest a little bit of Herb Kelleher's roots & legacy but then again i could be wrong.
The Palace needs to be Roto Rootered and The Trash taken out.

Article from The Street by the Southwest pilots.

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/southw ... technology

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:04 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerow ... a634814707

I may have missed it, but have not seen any discussion of this article. I had guessed that WN would need to spend $1-2 billion to update their IT. For an irreverent way of looking at this, it can easily be said that it will be a bargain at twice the price. Southwest's brag has been it will get you from A to B in reasonable comfort, maybe by a different route, maybe an hour late, but not to worry. They need to redeem that Brag.

avi8

Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:07 pm

From the link above: “ In an email sent to members of its frequent flyer program, Southwest CEO Bob Jordan announced that the company has budgeted more than $1 billion for upgrading its IT systems. Southwest has also hired the transportation consulting firm Oliver Wyman to analyze what went wrong and recommend additional steps.”

That doesn’t sound like they won’t do anything about it.

Bradin

Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:05 am

avi8 wrote:
From the link above: “ In an email sent to members of its frequent flyer program, Southwest CEO Bob Jordan announced that the company has budgeted more than $1 billion for upgrading its IT systems. Southwest has also hired the transportation consulting firm Oliver Wyman to analyze what went wrong and recommend additional steps.”

That doesn’t sound like they won’t do anything about it.

Southwest will. Now there's a budget, they're going to analyze root cause with that money. From there, additional money will be recommended so they can remediate what is broken.

This sounds like it is going to be a massive capital project with a massive undertaking.

WNCrew

Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:21 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

WN definitely did use the terms “armed for departure” and “disarmed for arrival” long before the acquisition of AirTran… WN did not, however, use the term “cross checked”.

After almost 20yrs with WN:

We most certainly did NOT crosscheck until after FL. It was written "loosely" as a procedures that you "visually confirm"... but it was not taught or reinforced.

Verbiage was "Secure Doors" and "Prepare Doors" but we didn't utilize "arm" or "crosscheck" verbiage until the acquisition.

SWADawg

Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:21 pm

WNCrew wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

We most certainly did NOT crosscheck until after FL. It was written "loosely" as a procedures that you "visually confirm"... but it was not taught or reinforced.

Verbiage was "Secure Doors" and "Prepare Doors" but we didn't utilize "arm" or "crosscheck" verbiage until the acquisition.

Well I’m glad that’s settled. Oh and the 717 was the best jet ever designed. There. Now I’ll be able to sleep better tonight knowing all these fun facts.

mesasurf

Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:07 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Sounds like Southwest pilots are threatening a strike authorization vote on May 1. Obviously doing this to light a fire under contract negotiations.

Could LGB become their largest LA Basin airport? Or does the limitations that LGB currently have prevent that? Also, what are the possibilities WN goes into SBD and maybe flies SBD-OAK/PHX?

n471wn

Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:07 pm

My experience with WN after the meltdown has been superb. I received 25,000 points and submitted my claim for $780 and within 5 days received reimbursement of $750. What a delight to deal with a company that actually does what they say they will do.

Vctony

Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:41 pm

mesasurf wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

Could LGB become their largest LA Basin airport? Or does the limitations that LGB currently have prevent that? Also, what are the possibilities WN goes into SBD and maybe flies SBD-OAK/PHX?

SBD is probably never going to happen with ONT being so close and ONT having no slot restrictions.

I believe WN is using LGB to backfill for slots that they've lost at SNA. Essentially SNA/LGB appears to be a combined operation for WN.

challeygat300

Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:42 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
I definitely understand the safety aspect of the cabin crew needing to sit during turbulence. I’m only putting this out there because I do sense a change has been happening and not just because of the December disaster. I wasn’t sure if that was because of SLC being in the mountainous area or just overall everywhere. One thing for sure, the friendliness is deteriorating, A man in my row hit the attendant button and asked for a carbonated water for his upset stomach , one flight attendant brought it to him, while another chewed him out over the speaker.

Did he hit the call light while the plane was in turbulence and/or under 10k feet?? Because afaik FAs generally only get up during those times for serious emergencies. An upset stomach can mostly be taken care of with a barf bag. Not really an emergency

AC4500

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:09 pm

mesasurf wrote:
Could LGB become their largest LA Basin airport? Or does the limitations that LGB currently have prevent that?

Not only does LGB have a restricted number of slots for each airline to use, LGB probably don't have enough gates to accommodate a base for WN that would be hypothetically larger than the likes of WN's other large LA-Basin stations like BUR and LAX.

mesasurf wrote:
Also, what are the possibilities WN goes into SBD and maybe flies SBD-OAK/PHX?

I've always wondered why WN hasn't started SBD yet. Not to get too far off topic, but does anyone know how MX is doing there? IMO, SBD-OAK doesn't seem too far off the realm of possibilities for WN... I think SBD's close proximity to ONT won't be much of an issue if they were to have just a small number of flights there (i.e. 2x daily OAK-SBD), and nothing more than that. Maybe a LAS or PHX flight or something if SBD-OAK is successful.

KCaviator

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:47 pm

AC4500 wrote:
mesasurf wrote:
Could LGB become their largest LA Basin airport? Or does the limitations that LGB currently have prevent that?

Not only does LGB have a restricted number of slots for each airline to use, LGB probably don't have enough gates to accommodate a base for WN that would be hypothetically larger than the likes of WN's other large LA-Basin stations like BUR and LAX.

mesasurf wrote:
Also, what are the possibilities WN goes into SBD and maybe flies SBD-OAK/PHX?

I've always wondered why WN hasn't started SBD yet. Not to get too far off topic, but does anyone know how MX is doing there? IMO, SBD-OAK doesn't seem too far off the realm of possibilities for WN... I think SBD's close proximity to ONT won't be much of an issue if they were to have just a small number of flights there (i.e. 2x daily OAK-SBD), and nothing more than that. Maybe a LAS or PHX flight or something if SBD-OAK is successful.

MX thread said 39% LF, so probably not doing great...

SRQLOT

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:50 pm

challeygat300 wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
I definitely understand the safety aspect of the cabin crew needing to sit during turbulence. I’m only putting this out there because I do sense a change has been happening and not just because of the December disaster. I wasn’t sure if that was because of SLC being in the mountainous area or just overall everywhere. One thing for sure, the friendliness is deteriorating, A man in my row hit the attendant button and asked for a carbonated water for his upset stomach , one flight attendant brought it to him, while another chewed him out over the speaker.

Did he hit the call light while the plane was in turbulence and/or under 10k feet?? Because afaik FAs generally only get up during those times for serious emergencies. An upset stomach can mostly be taken care of with a barf bag. Not really an emergency

It was half way in the hour flight. Definitely bumpy, the FA brought him a trash bag while another one was shouting over the intercom. She could have said we will get to you as soon as it is safe.

One time last year on a flight from Chicago to Denver had a male FA throw the snack mix at every passenger. And it wasn’t a haha funny throwing either, it was Im pissed throwing. Last year had 9 flights with Southwest, service only on 3 and that was from Chicago to Sarasota and back and the one to Denver. I had a JetBlue flight few weeks ago too, first time in 5 years and I was impressed by the BOB options and the service.

ericm2031

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:27 pm

mesasurf wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

LGB can only have about ~50ish flights for the whole airport due to slots. LAX has about 100 flights per day, and can probably go higher with their existing gates...T0 will add to that.

Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:58 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
challeygat300 wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

It was half way in the hour flight. Definitely bumpy, the FA brought him a trash bag while another one was shouting over the intercom. She could have said we will get to you as soon as it is safe.

One time last year on a flight from Chicago to Denver had a male FA throw the snack mix at every passenger. And it wasn’t a haha funny throwing either, it was Im pissed throwing. Last year had 9 flights with Southwest, service only on 3 and that was from Chicago to Sarasota and back and the one to Denver. I had a JetBlue flight few weeks ago too, first time in 5 years and I was impressed by the BOB options and the service.

This tracks with what I’ve seen on WN as of late. The getting on the PA and scolding the sick passenger was unprofessional but doesn’t surprise me. The throwing the pretzels doesn’t surprise me either. That reminded me of a flight I was on years ago where an FA dumped the basket of peanut pouches on the floor and said “peanuts are making their way to the back of the plane, grab a pouch if you want some.”

av8tiongeek

Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:36 pm

WNCrew wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Thank you.

eraugrad02

Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:09 am

I'm sorry to bring this back up but I still think SW will order the Max10. There are a number of cities that can fill up this model 737 to one of their hubs/focus cities. I think they'd put 220 seats in the plane. What say you guys?

Goodday,

P. S. Would someone photos hop a 737- Max10 in SW color scheme please? Thanks.

Jshank83

Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:52 am

eraugrad02 wrote:
I'm sorry to bring this back up but I still think SW will order the Max10. There are a number of cities that can fill up this model 737 to one of their hubs/focus cities. I think they'd put 220 seats in the plane. What say you guys?

Goodday,

It’s not that much longer is it?

Okcflyer

Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:19 am

Jshank83 wrote:
eraugrad02 wrote:

Goodday,

It’s 14’ longer. That’s quite a stretch.

They’ll need an extra lavatory. That’s 3 seats gone.

5 rows new if they keep same comfort level. With the seat loss for lav, that puts them at 202 seats. Probably doesn’t make sense for an extra FA for 2 seats, so either 199 or 200 seats.

WN isn’t making good use of the space, IMHO. They could easily push to 211, possibly 217, seats if they went for tighter galley / lav configuration and 31” standard pitch. Still competitive or better than the big 3 and nothing like the ULCC’s 28”.

They could easily get another 9 seats into their Max8’s if they wanted.

sonnyr23

Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:55 am

Looks like the Southwest Pilots will receive a bonus of around $4500 as Bob Jordan the current CEO has extended the olive branch in regards to the Holiday Meltdown.
From what the Yahoo article stated it mentioned that all Southwest employees will receive a cash bonus of an undetermined amount in their February checks as a Thank you gesture in regards to the meltdown.

challeygat300

Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:56 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
eraugrad02 wrote:

Goodday,

It’s 14’ longer. That’s quite a stretch.

They’ll need an extra lavatory. That’s 3 seats gone.

5 rows new if they keep same comfort level. With the seat loss for lav, that puts them at 202 seats. Probably doesn’t make sense for an extra FA for 2 seats, so either 199 or 200 seats.

WN isn’t making good use of the space, IMHO. They could easily push to 211, possibly 217, seats if they went for tighter galley / lav configuration and 31” standard pitch. Still competitive or better than the big 3 and nothing like the ULCC’s 28”.

They could easily get another 9 seats into their Max8’s if they wanted.

Why advocate for making the plane less comfortable for passengers and worse for workers as alignment with “making good use of space”? It’s giving “race to the bottom”

avi8

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:06 pm

sonnyr23 wrote:
Looks like the Southwest Pilots will receive a bonus of around $4500 as Bob Jordan the current CEO has extended the olive branch in regards to the Holiday Meltdown.
From what the Yahoo article stated it mentioned that all Southwest employees will receive a cash bonus of an undetermined amount in their February checks as a Thank you gesture in regards to the meltdown.

Great news. Those who thought WN would just continue business as usual might be surprised. They’ve hired a consulting company, budgeted a billion dollars for IT improvement and are now compensating their employees. In my opinion, these are great first steps.

sonnyr23

Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:44 am

Please correct me if i am wrong but Gary Kelly never once addressed the Holiday Meltdown , The shareholders lawsuit against Southwest, and in general explain his actions in regards to why he left Southwest in such a shambles or simply defend himself , his stooges , and the decisions and choices he made.
Only speaking for myself but i would like to hear his side of it.

Chemist

Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:51 am

I keep saying - if they "make better use of space", start charging bag fees, and assign seats, they will be just like the other legacies. Not IMHO a winning formula when they've been successful for so long by being different in key ways. I would be very disappointed if they were just another AA or UA.

alasizon

Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:59 am

sonnyr23 wrote:
Please correct me if i am wrong but Gary Kelly never once addressed the Holiday Meltdown , The shareholders lawsuit against Southwest, and in general explain his actions in regards to why he left Southwest in such a shambles or simply defend himself , his stooges , and the decisions and choices he made.
Only speaking for myself but i would like to hear his side of it.

The Chairman of the Board and retired CEOs typically don't comment on current business events outside of Board Meetings.

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:20 pm

4th quarter was ugly… sounds like 1st quarter is going to be ugly also

Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:10 pm

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwes ... 17805.html

“Meanwhile, Southwest reported an adjusted loss of $226 million in the quarter through December, at a time when other major U.S. airlines such as United Airlines Holdings Inc and Delta Air Lines Inc reported higher-than-expected quarterly earnings on strong travel demand.”

My how the tables have turned. Southwest reports a loss while legacies post better than expected profits.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/swapa-pr ... 00580.html

On the heels of SWAPA setting a date for a strike authorization vote.

A quarterly loss when others are profitable + sour labor relations + a historic meltdown after other meltdowns the last two years = this is NOT your father’s Southwest Airlines!

sonnyr23

Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:42 am

I'm certain that the news media made several attempts to speak to Gary Kelly but to no avail. Hoping that my former Southwest cohorts still will receive there profit sharing bonus checks from SWA that are usually paid out in March but with the loss that Southwest took in the 4th quarter it could be a game changer.
Charlene Carter, the wrongfully terminated Southwest Flight Attendant in 2017 starts back with Southwest this coming Monday the 30th via Court Order.
Something to look forward to.

BMWdrvr75

Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 am

in the meantime, it’s business as usual in Dallas. Pickle ball practice is happening…. Department lunches are being had…. Everyone in Dallas is having the time of their lives. No worries, no changes, nothing to see here…Southwest will continue to move on like they always have. Long live the 737!

sonnyr23

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:12 pm

I hope that Southwest stopped those "Message to The Field " Tours that Gary would do in 5 different cities with The GK Dancers, The Kool Aid Bubbles just like The Bubbles from The Lawrence Welk Show, The Pyro, The Sing a Longs, etc.
One city is enough. It doesn't have to be a WWE Pay Per View event and tour in multiple cities.

mcdu

Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:30 pm

n471wn wrote:
My experience with WN after the meltdown has been superb. I received 25,000 points and submitted my claim for $780 and within 5 days received reimbursement of $750. What a delight to deal with a company that actually does what they say they will do.

If they had truly done what they said they would do originally…….you wouldn’t be submitting expenses.

The inertia of the meltdown doesn’t seem to be going away. A great many won’t risk holidays or life events with SW for awhile.

n471wn

Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:44 pm

mcdu wrote:
n471wn wrote:

If they had truly done what they said they would do originally…….you wouldn’t be submitting expenses.

The inertia of the meltdown doesn’t seem to be going away. A great many won’t risk holidays or life events with SW for awhile.

You mean not cancel my flight? Of course and obvious

sonnyr23

Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:42 am

Heard that SNL did a spoof on Southwest last night on The Holiday meltdown.

mcdu

Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:55 pm

sonnyr23 wrote:

The skit is just another reminder that the meltdown isn’t being forgotten as quickly as SW thought it would. There seems to be some tone deaf leadership at SW. The promotions following the implosion seems illogical. They should have announced terminations and restructuring of their deficient departments. Let the people see they are taking action to prevent this from reoccurring This event destroyed holidays and family travels, it will long be remembered. It is almost as if the illusion SW has been peddling has finally been unmasked.

The pilots taking a strike vote, parodies of SW operations on SNL. Very interesting times for SW indeed.

Tack

Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:32 pm

Western727 wrote:
bpat777 wrote:
Let's see how many of the "I'm never flying WN again" crowd uses their goodwill RR points.

Obviously a vast majority will. Who’s gonna throw $300 away? I’m pretty sure they mean they won’t spend money on an airline they’ve lost faith in.

Exactly. However maybe not the vast majority though. One of the reasons airlines, including the carrier I worked for, use to love the ticket voucher for Denied Boarding Compensation is that only about 47% of those issued were traveled on. Now days, I think most travelers that suffer a service melt down are looking to get reimbursed, not enticed to roll the dice again.

bob75013

Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:51 pm

BMWdrvr75 wrote:
in the meantime, it’s business as usual in Dallas. Pickle ball practice is happening…. Department lunches are being had…. Everyone in Dallas is having the time of their lives. No worries, no changes, nothing to see here…Southwest will continue to move on like they always have. Long live the 737!

Yes, and it will continue to be the dominant carrier of domestic passengers, too. --

despite the hopes and dreams of some.

flyfresno

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:34 pm

sonnyr23 wrote:

That wasn't a spoof, it was all true! :lol:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos