Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kbmiflyer

Re: Austin Aviation - 2023

Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:25 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
There was a little chatter about something coming a few weeks ago. Now this comes out.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/chase-s ... ce-austin/

I guess this means the patio won't be open to the public anymore :(. It was one of the best kept secrets at Austin airport and one of the few places you could get out of the crowds. I tried to use the space last week and it was closed for construction.

kbmiflyer

Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:25 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
There was a little chatter about something coming a few weeks ago. Now this comes out.

I guess this means the patio won't be open to the public anymore :(. It was one of the best kept secrets at Austin airport and one of the few places you could get out of the crowds. I tried to use the space last week and it was closed for construction.

BangersAndMash

Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:51 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
AA's at it again. PNS added for peak summer (early June to early August), 1x weekly Saturdays.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230308-aajun23

That came out a couple weeks ago. I am surprised they are just posting it now. Also surprised no one on here mentioned it.

There is a little delay with publication sometimes on aeroroutes. I didn't recall seeing in on the thread.

Western727

Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:08 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Chase Sapphire Terrace Austin opening soon

On March 20, 2023, Chase will be opening the Sapphire Terrace at Austin Airport (AUS). This won’t be a traditional lounge, but rather will be an indoor-outdoor space, with a majority of the space being outdoors. It will be open daily from 10AM until 8PM. The Sapphire Terrace is expected to feature complimentary local beverages (like cider from Austin Eastciders, and beer from 512 Brewing Company), plus non-alcoholic drinks, and grab & go bites. Furthermore, the space is expected to feature shuffleboard, giveaways, and artwork.

This space is expected to be used by Chase for multiple years, though it’s not expected to be “permanent.” This will be located near the Delta Sky Club, and will be include the deck that’s currently open to the public.

The Chase Sapphire Terrace will exclusively be open to those with the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card, who can access it on a complimentary basis an unlimited number of times, and can bring two guests. Sapphire Terrace won’t be open to Priority Pass members.

Wow. Thanks, Jshank83. It continues to confound me that there are no Priority Pass or Centurion lounges, either current or planned. As an Amex Platinum cardholder, the opening of the Sapphire Terrace will devalue my Amex Platinum card considerably.

Western727

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:03 pm

Local news KXAN article that covers 2 things discussed at a meeting yesterday (Wed 8 March):

1. The recent FX/WN near-miss;
2. Awarding of a $4 million contract to demolish 39 legacy USAF buildings.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... nda-items/

Wacko55

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:22 pm

Western727 wrote:
Local news KXAN article that covers 2 things discussed at a meeting yesterday (Wed 8 March):

Here's another story from KXAN:

Glad to see AUS has finally realized they need to build more than just 10 gates in the new concourse.

Passenger growth at Austin’s airport is hitting forecasts five years ahead of schedule

https://www.kxan.com/news/passenger-gro ... -schedule/

“We’ve also been able to establish that we will be needing 20 gates immediately. I know we’ve communicated 10 plus, but we now need 20,” Shindler said. “Right now, we’re looking at sequencing of how we start to turn over these gates in a phased way so we’re not waiting until the entire terminal concourse is done.”

khowaga

Austin Aviation - 2023

Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:05 pm

Western727 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

On March 20, 2023, Chase will be opening the Sapphire Terrace at Austin Airport (AUS). This won’t be a traditional lounge, but rather will be an indoor-outdoor space, with a majority of the space being outdoors. It will be open daily from 10AM until 8PM. The Sapphire Terrace is expected to feature complimentary local beverages (like cider from Austin Eastciders, and beer from 512 Brewing Company), plus non-alcoholic drinks, and grab & go bites. Furthermore, the space is expected to feature shuffleboard, giveaways, and artwork.

This space is expected to be used by Chase for multiple years, though it’s not expected to be “permanent.” This will be located near the Delta Sky Club, and will be include the deck that’s currently open to the public.

The Chase Sapphire Terrace will exclusively be open to those with the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, who can access it on a complimentary basis an unlimited number of times, and can bring two guests. Sapphire Terrace won’t be open to Priority Pass members.

Wow. Thanks, Jshank83. It continues to confound me that there are no Priority Pass or Centurion lounges, either current or planned. As an Amex Platinum cardholder, the opening of the Sapphire Terrace will devalue my Amex Platinum card considerably.

There’s a space limitation for lounges, although my experience with Centurion at DEN and DFW hasn’t been good (looooong lines). I mean, if you can get in, it’s great (the new Centurion lounge at MEX is fabulous). If only I had a black card…and the income that would enable it.

Maybe when the west extension is done (where the new Admiral’s club will go), or in the space they vacate we’ll get one?

We also don’t have a Priority Pass lounge…
Last edited by khowaga on Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Western727

Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:06 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Here's another story from KXAN:

Glad to see AUS has finally realized they need to build more than just 10 gates in the new concourse.

Passenger growth at Austin’s airport is hitting forecasts five years ahead of schedule

https://www.kxan.com/news/passenger-gro ... -schedule/

“We’ve also been able to establish that we will be needing 20 gates immediately. I know we’ve communicated 10 plus, but we now need 20,” Shindler said. “Right now, we’re looking at sequencing of how we start to turn over these gates in a phased way so we’re not waiting until the entire terminal concourse is done.”

Thanks, Wacko55, I missed that one. And it's good to know that an estimated timeline will be released in mid-April. I, too, hope the South Terminal mess gets straightened out quickly with an outcome that's satisfactory to both parties so construction of the new terminal can proceed "yesterday."

Wacko55

Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:13 pm

khowaga wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

The Chase Sapphire Terrace will exclusively be open to those with the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, who can access it on a complimentary basis an unlimited number of times, and can bring two guests. Sapphire Terrace won’t be open to Priority Pass members.

There’s a space limitation for lounges, although my experience with Centurion at DEN and DFW hasn’t been good (looooong lines). I mean, if you can get in, it’s great (the new Centurion lounge at MEX is fabulous). If only I had a black card…and the income that would enable it.

Maybe when the west extension is done (where the new Admiral’s club will go), or in the space they vacate we’ll get one?

There's plenty of available space for a lounge currently. The offices vacated by airport administration across from Second Bar and Kitchen between gates 15 and 16. AA was going to build their lounge there before deciding to build it in the new west gate expansion. UA might decided to take the vacated AA club space for expansion when AA moves to their new club.

reednavy

Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:53 am

We'll see what happens over the next 10-14 days with SXSW and Spring Break kicking into high gear. Hopefully the TSA issues that happened repeatedly last year don't show up again.

Western727

Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:22 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
khowaga wrote:
Western727 wrote:

There's plenty of available space for a lounge currently. The offices vacated by airport administration across from Second Bar and Kitchen between gates 15 and 16. AA was going to build their lounge there before deciding to build it in the new west gate expansion. UA might decided to take the vacated AA club space for expansion when AA moves to their new club.

Looks like I need to give Amex and Priority Pass both feedback again to open a lounge at AUS.

Also, I learned on Twitter that the Sapphire Terrace means that the eastern deck will no longer be open to the public...a crying shame, tbh. :banghead:

freerover

Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:34 pm

WN732 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

Agree. The new Departures/Arrivals Hall won't get going until the mid to late 30's.

That's insane. AUS is going to start falling behind in a few years if they don't get serious about expediting things.

It is already behind. Especially when Allegiant and Frontier have to be back at the BJT.

They are building bus gates out of the east side of the terminal that will service the south terminal airlines.

Western727

Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:58 pm

freerover wrote:
WN732 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

That's insane. AUS is going to start falling behind in a few years if they don't get serious about expediting things.

It is already behind. Especially when Allegiant and Frontier have to be back at the BJT.

They are building bus gates out of the east side of the terminal that will service the south terminal airlines.

I imagine NK for some of its flights, too, to help free up a gate or two for the non-ULCCs. I doubt F9 and G4 will need all 3 of the coming hardstands at the same time. I say this because I rarely see more than 1 32X parked at the south terminal.

Wacko55

Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:18 pm

Western727 wrote:
freerover wrote:
WN732 wrote:

I imagine NK for some of its flights, too, to help free up a gate or two for the non-ULCCs. I doubt F9 and G4 will need all 3 of the coming hardstands at the same time. I say this because I rarely see more than 1 32X parked at the south terminal.

Hopefully they wrap up construction sooner rather than later on gate 13. I haven't seen or heard much news lately on the busing op's near gate 11. Those op's were to add 3 additional hardstands.

https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/docum ... ?id=363404

ty97

Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:28 pm

24Whiskey wrote:
So is Yaft’s resignation based on her performance so far (she came after the South Terminal deal) or rather she’s completely fed up dealing with the City of Austin?

A few weeks ago KXAN interviewed the San Marcos Airport’s (HYI) manager.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/de ... dings/amp/

They’re hoping to attract larger cargo service and perhaps even airline service. I think they’re trying to advantage of the South Terminal debacle and attract some investors.

San Marcos is a suitable in-between airport that can be marketed as “Austin/San Antonio.” Also, the Loop 110 project is nearing completion which provides a direct link from the airport to I-35. While it’s a moonshot for sure, there’s no better opportunity to pull Allegiant away or attract Breeze to the region.

They would need to add 1500’ of runway but the city and airport have had no problem securing FAA improvement money in the past.

Every small airport seems to have dreams of grandeur, but this actually seems like a good airport option for at least one of the ULCCs to consider (if the runway gets extended).

malev2012

Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:56 am

Jshank83 wrote:

The Chase Sapphire Terrace will exclusively be open to those with the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card, who can access it on a complimentary basis an unlimited number of times, and can bring two guests. Sapphire Terrace won’t be open to Priority Pass members.

Really lame as it was fun to go watch the heavies from that deck.

Wacko55

Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:28 pm

AUSTIN, Texas – Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) passenger traffic growth for January 2023 was up 37.32% compared to January 2022 with 1,507,056 passengers flying during the month.

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/januar ... raffic-aus

Wacko55

Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:36 pm

2023 already off to a record start at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... ger-stats/

Western727

Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
2023 already off to a record start at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... ger-stats/

That's just amazing! Any chance of the Lonestar Airport Holdings trial getting rescheduled to a much-sooner date? That needed to get resolved last week and the midfield terminal built yesterday, obviously. That the trial is set for May 2024 clearly does not bode well for said record start to 2023: https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... sion-suit/

KD5MDK

Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:43 am

Does it really matter? As long as the airport has the ability to evict the South Terminal tenants and the only question is if/how much compensation is owed, they can proceed knowing the physical outcome won’t change, just the cost.

Magnum9

Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:57 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
AA's at it again. PNS added for peak summer (early June to early August), 1x weekly Saturdays.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230308-aajun23

That came out a couple weeks ago. I am surprised they are just posting it now. Also surprised no one on here mentioned it.

There is a little delay with publication sometimes on aeroroutes. I didn't recall seeing in on the thread.

I continue to be amazed at the fact anyone wants to vacation in the FL panhandle during the summer. The weather is awful - unbearably hot & humid, daily thunderstorms, hurricane season and the gulf water is not pretty at all during this time because of all the storms. It smells like sewage. Trust me - I grew up in the FL panhandle and left as soon as I could after college.

braniff2hav

Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:08 am

Magnum9 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

I continue to be amazed at the fact anyone wants to vacation in the FL panhandle during the summer. The weather is awful - unbearably hot & humid, daily thunderstorms, hurricane season and the gulf water is not pretty at all during this time because of all the storms. It smells like sewage. Trust me - I grew up in the FL panhandle and left as soon as I could after college.

It's the sand and water ..... without the long flight. People that do not have that in their backyard long for it. And yes the weather is not that great.... it's a sacrifice I suppose.

Magnum9

Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:18 am

braniff2hav wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

It's the sand and water ..... without the long flight. People that do not have that in their backyard long for it. And yes the weather is not that great.... it's a sacrifice I suppose.

I totally understand not wanting a long flight and don’t disagree that the sand on the Gulf is generally nice. But I’m telling you - in the summer in the panhandle when it gets hot and humid and the Gulf water gets warm like almost bath water the smell is not cute.

AUS-PNS would be what - a 2 hour flight? Couldn’t AUS residents fly 2 hours and get to more beautiful waters in the Caribbean like CUN, CZM or RTB? I would think with the US dollar being stronger than those currencies it might even be cheaper than vacationing in PNS in addition to the nicer beach conditions.

Jshank83

Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:21 am

Magnum9 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:

I totally understand not wanting a long flight and don’t disagree that the sand on the Gulf is generally nice. But I’m telling you - in the summer in the panhandle when it gets hot and humid and the Gulf water gets warm like almost bath water the smell is not cute.

AUS-PNS would be what - a 2 hour flight? Couldn’t AUS residents fly 2 hours and get to more beautiful waters in the Caribbean like CUN, CZM or RTB? I would think with the US dollar being stronger than those currencies it might even be cheaper than vacationing in PNS in addition to the nicer beach conditions.

Have to have a passport for that. For everyone in your family. Panhandle you don’t. Plus with the bad press Mexico has gotten lately (and really forever) some will see it not worth the risk. Now we could argue how much risk there really is, but I know plenty of people who love the panhandle and have no intention of ever leaving the country.

As to the humidity, I get it but a lot are coming from somewhere with just as bad humidity so they are used to it, but this is humidity with a beach which is an upgrade.

Western727

Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:14 pm

KD5MDK wrote:
Does it really matter? As long as the airport has the ability to evict the South Terminal tenants and the only question is if/how much compensation is owed, they can proceed knowing the physical outcome won’t change, just the cost.

That's a good question, and I think you're right. Assuming that's the case, I wonder when said eviction will take place.

Western727

Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:20 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:

Have to have a passport for that. For everyone in your family. Panhandle you don’t. Plus with the bad press Mexico has gotten lately (and really forever) some will see it not worth the risk. Now we could argue how much risk there really is, but I know plenty of people who love the panhandle and have no intention of ever leaving the country.

As to the humidity, I get it but a lot are coming from somewhere with just as bad humidity so they are used to it, but this is humidity with a beach which is an upgrade.

I read somewhere that the US has the lowest % of passport holders in the developed world...so there's that.

N=1, but my kids' friends continue to marvel at the fact that my (somewhat upper) middle class family has traveled to Mexico, the UAE and Italy in the past 5 years. Some of their friends are naturally wealthier and still have not traveled abroad much if at all. So, I can see the allure of the FL panhandle for some, even though we've always eschewed the idea of going there in the summer for the reason stated.

Western727

Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:09 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Really lame as it was fun to go watch the heavies from that deck.

Update: I just learned that I may have been mistaken about access to the new Chase Sapphire Terrace at AUS. While still not open to the public (which is lame, as malev2012 correctly put it), in addition to being accessible to Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders, it also appears to be accessible to Priority Pass members, even those who have said membership from another credit card, like the Amex Platinum that I have: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/trav ... ms%20apply.

I wrote "appears to be" because Priority Pass's website doesn't list AUS, though that may be because it opened only 9 days ago on the 20th.

Jshank83

Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:34 pm

^It won't let me quote

but it does NOT accept priority pass. Guessing that is why they use the terrace name and not lounge name. The lounges will let in priority pass

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-sa ... ce-austin/

How do I get access to the Chase Sapphire Terrace in Austin?
The Sapphire Terrace is not part of Priority Pass. Instead, access is granted exclusively to those holding a Chase Sapphire Reserve or J.P. Morgan Reserve Card (formerly the Chase Palladium Card).

Western727

Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:31 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
^It won't let me quote

but it does NOT accept priority pass. Guessing that is why they use the terrace name and not lounge name. The lounges will let in priority pass

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-sa ... ce-austin/

How do I get access to the Chase Sapphire Terrace in Austin?
The Sapphire Terrace is not part of Priority Pass. Instead, access is granted exclusively to those holding a Chase Sapphire Reserve or J.P. Morgan Reserve Card (formerly the Chase Palladium Card).

:banghead:

Nonetheless, thank you, Jshank83. That's good to know.

ScottB

Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:18 pm

Magnum9 wrote:

I don't know why you'd go to the Florida panhandle from AUS when you can just go to South Padre instead... :duck:

CO1787

Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:23 pm

More airport expansion news this week as the Airport announced a $165M expansion.

The West Gate expansion will add about 82,000 square feet of new space, including three new gates for aircraft, space for a new lounge, office space, an outdoor patio and room for concessions to the airport's Barbara Jordan Terminal. The West Gate project will relocate two existing gates at Austin-Bergstrom. Construction could be completed in late 2026, according to the March 15 TDLR filing.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... nsion.html

TyroneShoes

Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:02 pm

Found this posted on a skyscraper board:

Hawaiian Airlines is increasing the AUS-HNL frequency from 3x-weekly to 4x-weekly from May 26 to August 18 (returning to 3x-weekly after that). Thanks ILUVSAT

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...operations-vp/

Western727

Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:38 pm

TyroneShoes wrote:

Hawaiian Airlines is increasing the AUS-HNL frequency from 3x-weekly to 4x-weekly from May 26 to August 18 (returning to 3x-weekly after that). Thanks ILUVSAT

Nice! How does this compare to HA's service to AUS in summer 2022, if you or anyone else know?

BTW: the link didn't work for me and seemed truncated. Here's the full link, and the article also mentions frequency increases at LAX, BOS and PPG: https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... ght=austin

Wacko55

Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:27 pm

TyroneShoes wrote:

This info was posted upthread over a month ago.....

Western727

Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:49 pm

In case y'all haven't seen the discussion in another thread, AUS is a "bloodbath" with too-low fares for AA and too much overall capacity (across all airlines) at AUS, according to discussions in the American Airlines Network - 2023 thread. Starts at reply 1094: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1479971&start=1050

Wacko55

Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:52 pm

Western727 wrote:
In case y'all haven't seen the discussion in another thread, AUS is a "bloodbath" with too-low fares for AA and too much overall capacity (across all airlines) at AUS, according to discussions in the American Airlines Network - 2023 thread. Starts at reply 1094: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1479971&start=1050

As a consumer isn't that exactly what you want?

FlyingSicilian

Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:21 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

As a consumer isn't that exactly what you want?

It is until one or two of the carriers 'blinks' and as they retreat others will increase fares. But for now enjoy it!

Wacko55

Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:32 pm

AUSTIN, TEXAS – Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) passenger traffic growth for February 2023 was up 21.63% compared to February 2022 with 1,463,507 passengers flying during the month.

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/februa ... -bergstrom

t18c97

Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:44 pm

I was there Saturday, flew in from ORD. AUS was much more crowded then T1 at ORD, they need to get going with the expansion ASAP.

Wacko55

Wed May 03, 2023 2:44 pm

Austin's airport has been failing for years to keep up with its booming population, but officials are innovating everything from baggage handling to security screening to make the next expansion work

Katherine Fan May 3, 2023, 7:41 AM CDT

https://www.businessinsider.com/austin- ... ils-2023-4

onwFan

Wed May 03, 2023 3:19 pm

onwFan wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Magnum9 wrote:
AUS is being right sized by LH. Too many EU carriers thought AUS was the new SFO and threw way too much capacity into a market that could realistically only support 1-2 EU carriers.

LH reduced AUS from 5x week to 3x week.

Source - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230202-lhns23

You're right - thank you for the link. I think I probably got the LH frequency mixed up with VS's.

VS was also supposed to increase LHR-AUS from 4x weekly to daily in NS23. Looks like that has been removed as well. Currently, W23 schedule is loaded daily from Sept; but if they can’t make it work in the summer, I doubt it will work in winter.

Looks like as expected, VS has dropped AUS-LHR to 4x weekly through the end of schedule.

ScottB

Wed May 03, 2023 6:00 pm

Western727 wrote:

That's basically what they signed up for considering WN was over 50% larger than AA at AUS prior to Covid. WN wasn't going to walk away from a market where they had been the leading carrier for decades (going back to Mueller) without a fight.

Western727

Wed May 03, 2023 6:27 pm

ScottB wrote:
Western727 wrote:

That's basically what they signed up for considering WN was over 50% larger than AA at AUS prior to Covid. WN wasn't going to walk away from a market where they had been the leading carrier for decades (going back to Mueller) without a fight.

I agree on all counts. I see two benefits: lower fares and no regional jets (the 170/175 is the minimum I'm willing to fly on if given a choice) due to the lack of airport capacity. So when I find myself at AUS when it's crowded, these are the two silver linings I remind myself of. Oh, and having TSA Pre, too!

Western727

Wed May 03, 2023 6:28 pm

onwFan wrote:
onwFan wrote:
Western727 wrote:

You're right - thank you for the link. I think I probably got the LH frequency mixed up with VS's.

VS was also supposed to increase LHR-AUS from 4x weekly to daily in NS23. Looks like that has been removed as well. Currently, W23 schedule is loaded daily from Sept; but if they can’t make it work in the summer, I doubt it will work in winter.

Looks like as expected, VS has dropped AUS-LHR to 4x weekly through the end of schedule.

That's good to know...thank you, onwFan. Still, I'm happy that the capacity correction wasn't too drastic, because I love seeing the European birds in the afternoons.

Wacko55

Mon May 08, 2023 5:48 pm

AUSTIN, TEXAS – Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) passenger traffic growth for March 2023 was up 6.52% compared to March 2022 with 1,941,044 passengers flying during the month, making March 2023 the fifth busiest month on record at AUS.

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/march- ... -bergstrom

malev2012

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:09 pm

Airport announced $88 million dollar settlement with operator of South Terminal: https://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin ... nt-program

Wacko55

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:13 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Airport announced $88 million dollar settlement with operator of South Terminal: https://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin ... nt-program

Great news!

Wacko55

Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:31 pm

AUS Industry Day held in May '23 for AEDP

https://services.austintexas.gov/edims/ ... ?id=408813

vjzalb

Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:15 pm

It's exciting to see all the growth happening at AUS, especially since there are times where it's impossible to move through the terminal, but in the next 6-18+ months there will be so much concurrent work happening, it makes me wonder how miserable things will be before they get better. With the upper level atrium expansion (closing in the baggage claim area) the west concourse exit is occasionally closed, the baggage system upgrade has baggage claim constrained, and moving G4 and F9 to the Barbara Jordan terminal along with the west gate expansion are really going to squeeze more people in the terminal and make gate availability a challenge during peak times. It will be better down the road, but I have a feeling it's going to be real bumpy for a while...just wait until ACL, F1, and SXSW are going on as well.

Western727

Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:38 pm

vjzalb wrote:
It's exciting to see all the growth happening at AUS, especially since there are times where it's impossible to move through the terminal, but in the next 6-18+ months there will be so much concurrent work happening, it makes me wonder how miserable things will be before they get better. With the upper level atrium expansion (closing in the baggage claim area) the west concourse exit is occasionally closed, the baggage system upgrade has baggage claim constrained, and moving G4 and F9 to the Barbara Jordan terminal along with the west gate expansion are really going to squeeze more people in the terminal and make gate availability a challenge during peak times. It will be better down the road, but I have a feeling it's going to be real bumpy for a while...just wait until ACL, F1, and SXSW are going on as well.

For sure. It's going to be painful for some time before it gets better. I'm glad ABIA is moving forward, though.

I've been telling my local friends and family that getting either TSA Pre or CLEAR will become even more of a must over the next few years, and that not having either will cause much unneeded pain.