Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

se210

Re: Chicago Aviation - 2023

Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:46 am

First time visit yesterday (3/27/2023) for Maersk Air Cargo to RFD with this new B767-300F (N493MM ; operated by Amerijet International; delivered 11/2022). Operated as AJT88/M688 .GSP-RFD.

jcwr56

Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:49 am

CHI787ORD wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:
BB78710 wrote:

I think people will figure it out fairly quickly. The good thing about Chicago is there are enough arterial streets running North/South and then East/West where the traveling public will have options to avoid 90/94 if they so choose.

I think one of the best things Chicago has going for it during this construction is the fact the city is built on a grid system. For those who know the city they know how to get to O'Hare without having to use that stretch of 90/94 that will be under construction for at least 2 years. One can only hope this project doesn't turn into the nightmare disaster the Jane Byrne Interchanged turned into..... But again we are talking about Chicago when is the last time a construction project was completed on-time and on budget????

Speaking of construction projects completed on-time. Flew into T5 Thursday and the line for the CBP was 1 hr and 50 minutes, mind you this was a Thursday...in MARCH! We came into M36 on Iberia and proceeded thru the new corridors underneath the new expansion. My son actually did distance on his phone from gate to booth and it was a whopping 1/4 mile walk (1267 steps). There are only two moving walkways that are still a good walking distance just to get to and there was another walkway that was either not yet operational or broken, we couldn't tell. On top of that the wheelchair que was over 100 people long. Double lines of wheelchairs with people in them as far as the eye could see and no assistants anywhere to be found to push these people. All passengers whether US or not get fed into the same line. I cannot stress how poorly this is reflecting on the airport. I heard countless times from people standing in line, "I will never fly thru this airport again", "I am going to miss my connection", and my favorite "is this Chicago or some third world country".

I understand that there is a lot of construction going on, but the planning logistics for this are abysmal. The CDA seems to have really dropped the ball on this. They should have kept open the north end of T-5 for Int'l arrivals until the south expansion was fully completed before allowing Delta to move over. The moving walkways and a completed CBP area still seem to be months away and the summer crush is approaching very quickly and ORD is not going to be ready. The other issue at T5 is the ATS. There is just not enough train cars and frequency to handle all the passengers. We waited two trains before finally getting on one because the line extended to the escalators. It seems the city is more concerned with completing the parking garage ($$$) at T5 then then the terminal itself. Just dreadful.

I arrived from DOH at 4PM last week and I concur, immigration is a total mess. I have global entry so for me personally it was a breeze but the line for everyone else lasted over an hour. It’s really a horrible way to land into the US after a 15 hour flight. It looked like the new immigration booths are coming along so hopefully that new section opens up soon. But still, even after all the new immigration booths will there still be enough capacity at T5 to avoid these lines from getting too long? I’m worried this is going to be a permanent feature at T5.

It's an organized mess...and without getting into much detail. CBP has a set level of staffing which the City and airlines has zero control over and right now it's trying to find a balance of the amount of officers needed based on loads. Somewhat in the near future, you'll see the hall split to USC versus non USC's, which should tremendously help with processing. A little fun fact; almost 88% of passengers arriving into T5 are USC's.

As for wheelchairs, this falls on the DOT to blame, anyone can request a chair and what is being seen are non native english speakers requesting chairs so they can be hand walked between T5 and the rest of the airport. When you have airlines requesting over 100 chairs per flight, you know something is wrong with the system.

The harden border concept and biometrics will make the processing time and ability to exit the hall far more quickly and move everything along, but to get to that point there's going to be bumps in the road.

sircygnus

Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:00 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
CHI787ORD wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

Speaking of construction projects completed on-time. Flew into T5 Thursday and the line for the CBP was 1 hr and 50 minutes, mind you this was a Thursday...in MARCH! We came into M36 on Iberia and proceeded thru the new corridors underneath the new expansion. My son actually did distance on his phone from gate to booth and it was a whopping 1/4 mile walk (1267 steps). There are only two moving walkways that are still a good walking distance just to get to and there was another walkway that was either not yet operational or broken, we couldn't tell. On top of that the wheelchair que was over 100 people long. Double lines of wheelchairs with people in them as far as the eye could see and no assistants anywhere to be found to push these people. All passengers whether US or not get fed into the same line. I cannot stress how poorly this is reflecting on the airport. I heard countless times from people standing in line, "I will never fly thru this airport again", "I am going to miss my connection", and my favorite "is this Chicago or some third world country".

I understand that there is a lot of construction going on, but the planning logistics for this are abysmal. The CDA seems to have really dropped the ball on this. They should have kept open the north end of T-5 for Int'l arrivals until the south expansion was fully completed before allowing Delta to move over. The moving walkways and a completed CBP area still seem to be months away and the summer crush is approaching very quickly and ORD is not going to be ready. The other issue at T5 is the ATS. There is just not enough train cars and frequency to handle all the passengers. We waited two trains before finally getting on one because the line extended to the escalators. It seems the city is more concerned with completing the parking garage ($$$) at T5 then then the terminal itself. Just dreadful.

I arrived from DOH at 4PM last week and I concur, immigration is a total mess. I have global entry so for me personally it was a breeze but the line for everyone else lasted over an hour. It’s really a horrible way to land into the US after a 15 hour flight. It looked like the new immigration booths are coming along so hopefully that new section opens up soon. But still, even after all the new immigration booths will there still be enough capacity at T5 to avoid these lines from getting too long? I’m worried this is going to be a permanent feature at T5.

It's an organized mess...and without getting into much detail. CBP has a set level of staffing which the City and airlines has zero control over and right now it's trying to find a balance of the amount of officers needed based on loads. Somewhat in the near future, you'll see the hall split to USC versus non USC's, which should tremendously help with processing. A little fun fact; almost 88% of passengers arriving into T5 are USC's.

As for wheelchairs, this falls on the DOT to blame, anyone can request a chair and what is being seen are non native english speakers requesting chairs so they can be hand walked between T5 and the rest of the airport. When you have airlines requesting over 100 chairs per flight, you know something is wrong with the system.

The harden border concept and biometrics will make the processing time and ability to exit the hall far more quickly and move everything along, but to get to that point there's going to be bumps in the road.

"USC's" = United States Citizens?

se210

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:45 am

Iberia IB6275 (MAD-ORD) is operating with a LEVEL A330 today (3/29/2023). EC-MYA A330-202 is scheduled to arrive ORD at 14:20.

EWR22LAS25

Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:50 pm

Tornado warnings issued for Cook County and NW Illinois through 01APR2023 0300GMT.

Strap in, should be an interesting evening.

SRQLOT

Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:37 pm

EWR22LAS25 wrote:
Tornado warnings issued for Cook County and NW Illinois through 01APR2023 0300GMT.

I managed to fly into MDW today and looking at flight radar right now, many many cancellations coming up for this afternoon and evening.

I’m staying in Plainfield and we are watching an ugly line coming in from Peoria right now that is at that perfect angle to hit us and follow I55 to MDW.

EWR22LAS25

Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:41 pm

There's a Ground Stop in effect for ORD right now.

SRQLOT wrote:
EWR22LAS25 wrote:

I managed to fly into MDW today and looking at flight radar right now, many many cancellations coming up for this afternoon and evening.

I’m staying in Plainfield and we are watching an ugly line coming in from Peoria right now that is at that perfect angle to hit us and follow I55 to MDW.

emcm541

Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:57 pm

EWR22LAS25 wrote:

SRQLOT wrote:
EWR22LAS25 wrote:

Some diversions to DTW and GRR already, lots of holds, but a few trying to land. Long night for ATC....

emcm541

Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:20 am

emcm541 wrote:
EWR22LAS25 wrote:

SRQLOT wrote:

Some diversions to DTW and GRR already, lots of holds, but a few trying to land. Long night for ATC....

More diversions: LO3 to CLE

SRQLOT

Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:42 am

emcm541 wrote:
emcm541 wrote:
EWR22LAS25 wrote:

That has to be a first!! There is a big polish population that would love to have nonstop service with LOT haha.

AmricanShamrok

Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:03 pm

EY151 (AUH-ORD) just landed on RWY27R - I don't think I've ever seen a widebody land on that runway...anyone know why it didn't land on the Cs like it usually does?

gabik001

Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:32 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
EY151 (AUH-ORD) just landed on RWY27R - I don't think I've ever seen a widebody land on that runway...anyone know why it didn't land on the Cs like it usually does?

It might be operational decision made by ATC (slight chance that a/c crew requested that). I saw once VS B744 landed on that runway also numerous 5Y B744 planes (possibly empty or low cargo volume).

gabik001

Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:41 pm

emcm541 wrote:
emcm541 wrote:
EWR22LAS25 wrote:

That was quite a challenge not just for Chicago ATC... I was driving back home from FL (Pensacola area) yesterday and was passing by SDF and IND (actually a lot of interstate 65 detours/ closures due to crashes and extreme weather) and observed a lot of go arounds and diversions too. It was long challenged way home in that weather.

gabik001

Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:30 am

AAL2611 to LAX just returned to ORD squawking 7700. They requested paramedical assistance but before landing they performed low pass @ 800ft AGL over 10C so I'm assuming that they experienced mechanical issue (flaps or landing gear). A/c is still on the runway so 10C is not available for arrivals as of 8:30pm

LAXPolaris

Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:01 am

Flying out of ORD later this week, is the new United Club in the C concourse worth a visit, of if I'm in B should I just use one of those clubs?

yeogeo

Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:12 am

LAXPolaris wrote:
Flying out of ORD later this week, is the new United Club in the C concourse worth a visit, of if I'm in B should I just use one of those clubs?

I would say definitely worth the walk through the tunnel. The new club in C is far away nicer than the B clubs and has a good view of the field.

LAXPolaris

Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:14 am

yeogeo wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:

I would say definitely worth the walk through the tunnel. The new club in C is far away nicer than the B clubs and has a good view of the field.

Cool I'll check it out then! Is the food any better, or same stuff they've been serving in the other clubs? And if it is, is the improved food only in the new club, or are they putting it in all of them?

gabik001

Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:30 am

gabik001 wrote:
AAL2611 to LAX just returned to ORD squawking 7700. They requested paramedical assistance but before landing they performed low pass @ 800ft AGL over 10C so I'm assuming that they experienced mechanical issue (flaps or landing gear). A/c is still on the runway so 10C is not available for arrivals as of 8:30pm

The had a bird strike on departure and requested return with prior visual inspection during fly by.

emcm541

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:23 pm

A month late in posting for you all, but FAA grants Green Light for RFD expansion; fight to preserve Bell Prairie not yet over.

https://www.wbez.org/stories/rockford-a ... c451765fa3

yeogeo

Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:51 pm

Unusually, two UA ORD-HNL flights departing this morning within 5 minutes of each other.
The usual 78X at 09:35 - UA219 operating N13014
and, what I take as a charter? UA2792 operating 772 N780UA was scheduled 09:30 this Thursday the 6th.

UA219 is going to the north side, with UA2792 in queue on the south. Watching to see who takes to the air first

yeogeo

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:07 pm

LAXPolaris wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:

Cool I'll check it out then! Is the food any better, or same stuff they've been serving in the other clubs? And if it is, is the improved food only in the new club, or are they putting it in all of them?

The food? Nothing unusual, generally pretty healthy, nothing bad tasting or not fresh...what can I say...
There's food... and its free.
The Polaris Club food is a definite step up, IMHO

Just to add... the Terminal 2 Club is better than either of the ones in B, IMO. Excellent view of the south side of the field and design that is convenient and comfortable. It's a long way from the C gates but a possible option with a bit of a walk from the lower B's.

schernov

Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:48 pm

well that did not last long - newly remodeled tunnel which goes from T3 into the big tunnel to CTA is leaking again!

Was transiting thru PHL today on AA - the whole AA bus thing form C to F is nice. Quick and continuously running. you get a nice view of the tarmac and planes. Highly recommend. They dont ask for a boarding pass - so you can just ride it back and forth if you are bored.
Last edited by schernov on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United857

Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:48 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Unusually, two UA ORD-HNL flights departing this morning within 5 minutes of each other.
and, what I take as a charter? UA2792 operating 772 N780UA was scheduled 09:30 this Thursday the 6th.

UA219 is going to the north side, with UA2792 in queue on the south. Watching to see who takes to the air first

The 772 is probably on a ferry flight on its way to HKG or XMN for maintenance. They generally ferry US mainland-HNL-GUM-HKG/XMN

SumChristianus

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:35 pm

Just saw (2 hrs ago) at ORD what looked like a small corporate jet but with a logo/livery I could barely make out quite similar to that of AF1, the "United States of America" writing down the side. Is this a high up administration official visiting Chicago? I didn't know there were other liveried "United States of America" planes.

schernov

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:39 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Just saw (2 hrs ago) at ORD what looked like a small corporate jet but with a logo/livery I could barely make out quite similar to that of AF1, the "United States of America" writing down the side. Is this a high up administration official visiting Chicago? I didn't know there were other liveried "United States of America" planes.

USG has 757s, 737s and bunch of Gulfstreams. Usually they go into midway or Gary.
Last edited by schernov on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SumChristianus

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:43 pm

schernov wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

USG has 757s, 737s and bunch of Gulfstreams

Must have been a Gulfstream then, thanks. Do you know who they carry in the government? I assume I wouldn't be able to find it on FlightAware/FlightRadar but it landed on 28C at around 9:51 AM this morning.

schernov

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:46 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
schernov wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

USG has 757s, 737s and bunch of Gulfstreams

Must have been a Gulfstream then, thanks. Do you know who they carry in the government? I assume I wouldn't be able to find it on FlightAware/FlightRadar but it landed on 28C at around 9:51 AM this morning.

It could be a cabinet member or some military official. I am sure they have some sort of system of who can use them. I was at ORD about the same time - but did not see it.

emcm541

Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:34 pm

United857 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

The 772 is probably on a ferry flight on its way to HKG or XMN for maintenance. They generally ferry US mainland-HNL-GUM-HKG/XMN

HKG - https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N78 ... /PHNL/VHHH

yeogeo

Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:15 pm

se210 wrote:
First time visit yesterday (3/27/2023) for Maersk Air Cargo to RFD with this new B767-300F (N493MM ; operated by Amerijet International; delivered 11/2022). Operated as AJT88/M688 .GSP-RFD.

Came across this info from 4 April on what turns out to be an interesting alternating pair of flights:
"Maersk Air has continued its bullish approach to bringing capacity to market with the launch of two China-US routes... The container line/air cargo carrier announced two twice-weekly services, linking Greenville-Spartanburg with Shenyang Taoxian and Chicago Rockford and Hangzhou Xiaoshan, both expected to rise to thrice-weekly next month."
https://theloadstar.com/capacity-confid ... s-flights/

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

LAXPolaris

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:07 pm

yeogeo wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

The food? Nothing unusual, generally pretty healthy, nothing bad tasting or not fresh...what can I say...
There's food... and its free.
The Polaris Club food is a definite step up, IMHO

Just to add... the Terminal 2 Club is better than either of the ones in B, IMO. Excellent view of the south side of the field and design that is convenient and comfortable. It's a long way from the C gates but a possible option with a bit of a walk from the lower B's.

Appreciate the insight! I'll see where my flight is departing from and go from there. Seems like UA is using more gates in Terminal 2 now for mainline flights, not just express. Did they pick up more gates when DL moved to T5 or something?

yeogeo

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:59 pm

LAXPolaris wrote:
Seems like UA is using more gates in Terminal 2 now for mainline flights, not just express. Did they pick up more gates when DL moved to T5 or something?

Correct - they've claimed most of the former DL gates in the upper E's.

LAXPolaris

Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:03 pm

yeogeo wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:
Seems like UA is using more gates in Terminal 2 now for mainline flights, not just express. Did they pick up more gates when DL moved to T5 or something?

Oh wow I did not know that! What is their total gate count up to now at ORD?

Also, wonder if UA would take the former DL SkyClub space? Or since that terminal is going to be coming down eventually (is that project ever starts) is it not worth building a new club?

yeogeo

Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:31 pm

Answer me this: Aside from BA's A380 and Lufti's 748 service, what other 4-engined pax flight is now a regular at O'Hare?

It's the MUC/ORD LH#434/435 A346 service - She's arguably the rarest of all reg sched birds at O'Hare these days, having taken over the route in late March from Lufthansa's A359's.

In my opinion one of the most graceful aircraft in flight. Seeing a take-off of one of these birds is a moment of beauty! :cloudnine:

United1

Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:02 am

LAXPolaris wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:

Also, wonder if UA would take the former DL SkyClub space? Or since that terminal is going to be coming down eventually (is that project ever starts) is it not worth building a new club?

As there is already a remodeled UA Club in T2 probably not. The spaces are not adjacent to eachother so growing the existing club that way isn't really possible.

se210

Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:56 pm

yeogeo wrote:
se210 wrote:

Came across this info from 4 April on what turns out to be an interesting alternating pair of flights:
"Maersk Air has continued its bullish approach to bringing capacity to market with the launch of two China-US routes... The container line/air cargo carrier announced two twice-weekly services, linking Greenville-Spartanburg with Shenyang Taoxian and Chicago Rockford and Hangzhou Xiaoshan, both expected to rise to thrice-weekly next month."
https://theloadstar.com/capacity-confident-maersk-air-now-adds-china-us-flights/

Here are the Chicago Rockford and Hangzhou Xiaoshan flight numbers currently operated by the Maersk Air B767-300F N493MM:

More RFD news. In addition to the AAR Corp maintenance flights we see from ORD-RFD for UA 737s, some new UA B737-8/-9 MAXs are being delivered from BFI to RFD (for induction/additional configuration) as reported on the United Airlines Fleet-2023 / Boeing 737MAX Production/Deliveries-2023 forum threads. Here are some recent examples:

• N37556** B737 MAX 9 Delivered 3/30/23 UA2710 (BFI-RFD) / Positioning 4/6/23.. UA2734 (RFD-ORD)
  • N17300... B737 MAX 8 Delivered 3/28/23 UA2702 (BFI-RFD) / Positioning 4/3/23.. UA2746 (RFD-ORD) / 1st Rev Flight 4/3/23 UA748 (ORD-SEA)
  • N57299... B737 MAX 8 Delivered 3/16/23 UA2709 (BFI-RFD) / Positioning 3/23/23 UA2750 (RFD-CLE) ./ 1st Rev Flight 3/23/23 UA2142 (CLE-RSW)
  • N37553** B737 MAX 9 Delivered 3/15/23 UA2707 (BFI-RFD) / Positioning 3/23/23 UA2751 (RFD-IAD) ../ 1st Rev Flight 3/23/23 UA1842 (IAD-DEN)

** Coincidentially, many of the UA Boeing 737 MAX 9s with registrations starting with N375.. were once worn by UA DC-6 aircraft. Here are two examples (N37522 and N37532):

Crosswind787

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:09 pm

It's cool that RFD is being used more and more for various reasons by the airlines.

yeogeo

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:50 pm

United1 wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

As there is already a remodeled UA Club in T2 probably not. The spaces are not adjacent to each other so growing the existing club that way isn't really possible.

This is true, United's Club in T2 is on the floor above the former DL Club, but more importantly, the tear-down of T2 fast approaches.
From the latest info that I've heard, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2026 to '28 the Sat terminals are to be completed, which is the step just before the T2 demolition, so very unlikely anyone will make any improvements to T2 from now on, I should think.... And yes, the OGT work has begun, if in the preliminary stages. The CDA has promised a very vigorous construction schedule starting this Spring. Likely we'll see many months of taxiway reconfiguration before any foundations are laid... after all the CDA needs the airport to continue operating normally around the satellite terminal construction.

yeogeo

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:59 pm

se210 wrote:
Here are the Chicago Rockford and Hangzhou Xiaoshan flight numbers currently operated by the Maersk Air B767-300F N493MM:

Thanks, se, for fleshing out the Maersk RFD-China flights. I wondered how a 767F would get to HGH, not to mention avoiding Russian airspace. Not surprised by the Anchorage stop but wonder if the a/c is capable flying the ANC-HGH segment w/o the ICN stop or if it's more than just a tech stop.

...Also - fascinating info on the reuse of DC-6 regs! Thanks for that!

schernov

Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:44 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Answer me this: Aside from BA's A380 and Lufti's 748 service, what other 4-engined pax flight is now a regular at O'Hare?

It's the MUC/ORD LH#434/435 A346 service - She's arguably the rarest of all reg sched birds at O'Hare these days, having taken over the route in late March from Lufthansa's A359's.

In my opinion one of the most graceful aircraft in flight. Seeing a take-off of one of these birds is a moment of beauty! :cloudnine:

Aside from cargo - that's about it.
A380 wale is a cool site -I see it over the house on approach every day coming off the lake over Lawrence Avenue.

LAXPolaris

Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:04 pm

So UA has had 3x daily ORD-LHR basically all winter, and then in June it reduces to 2x daily, and then after the peak summer season is over it goes back to 3x daily? Why is this? I saw some discussion it was to make space for the new 2nd daily LAX-LHR, but that isn’t true, as they are both operating right now. EWR-LHR is also losing a frequency during the peak summer season. Is this Heathrow imposing restrictions like they did last year?

Should’ve upgraded ORD-LHR to a larger plane, 2x daily on the high J 767 is not enough, especially economy seats. The west coast hubs (both LAX and SFO) as well as DEN have more capacity this summer than Chicago, that doesn’t seem right…

LHUSA

Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:31 am

LAXPolaris wrote:
So UA has had 3x daily ORD-LHR basically all winter, and then in June it reduces to 2x daily, and then after the peak summer season is over it goes back to 3x daily? Why is this? I saw some discussion it was to make space for the new 2nd daily LAX-LHR, but that isn’t true, as they are both operating right now. EWR-LHR is also losing a frequency during the peak summer season. Is this Heathrow imposing restrictions like they did last year?

Should’ve upgraded ORD-LHR to a larger plane, 2x daily on the high J 767 is not enough, especially economy seats. The west coast hubs (both LAX and SFO) as well as DEN have more capacity this summer than Chicago, that doesn’t seem right…

LHR mandating capacity like last summer, providing slot waivers…

LAXPolaris

Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:05 am

LHUSA wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:

Assumed so. Should’ve changed at least one of the ORD-LHR to a 787, not even close to enough capacity right now. Frankly, if slots are an issue at LHR, the way UA should be managing that is upgrading planes, they don’t fly their two largest planes to LHR and maybe they should.

gabik001

Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:54 pm

Just a heads up: all-white SilkWay West 4K-BCV / AZG785 is due to ORD around 1:40pm. One of two aicrafts in that paint scheme visited ORD in the past.

LHUSA

Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:08 pm

LAXPolaris wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:

Assumed so. Should’ve changed at least one of the ORD-LHR to a 787, not even close to enough capacity right now. Frankly, if slots are an issue at LHR, the way UA should be managing that is upgrading planes, they don’t fly their two largest planes to LHR and maybe they should.

The capacity restrictions are on number of inbound passengers, not landing slots - but slot waivers are offered as UA already flies a very low density aircraft (high-J). So simply up-gauging would defeat the purpose.

yeogeo

Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:25 pm

Crosswind787 wrote:
It's cool that RFD is being used more and more for various reasons by the airlines.

The biggest reason by far is cargo: In 2022, RFD was "the world's fastest-growing cargo airport and the fourteenth largest cargo airport in the US for landed weight, [and] is already on track to break the record for cargo volume handled at the airport in 2022."

https://www.stattimes.com/air-cargo/rfd ... tescroll=1

Whether it can attract more pax flights remains to be seen. The glimmer of hope for RFD to Europe has now been extinguished, apparently, as Norse Atlantic has had a change in heart about using lesser-know airports for it's operations in the U.S.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1479929

For Allegiant the schedule from Rockford is as follows:
PGD operates Sun/Thurs
LAS operates Sun/Thurs
SFB operates Mon/Wed/Fri
AZA operates Mon/Wed/Sat (Sat only from 5/20, back to 3x/week 9/12)
SRQ operates Wed/Sat until 5/14 (resumes Oct 5)
PIE operates Mon/Wed/Fri (Mon/Fri from 8/7, resumes 3X/week in October)

...which seems a fairly robust schedule for Rockford considering its only 60-some miles from O'Hare; low fares to sun destinations are a big draw, no matter where they originate it seems.

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

yeogeo

Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:31 pm

^ should have mentioned Rockford's growing MRO/induction role, as pointed out upthread by se, as another reason, besides cargo and pax, for RFD's recent growth:

se210 wrote:
...In addition to the AAR Corp maintenance flights we see from ORD-RFD for UA 737s, some new UA B737-8/-9 MAXs are being delivered from BFI to RFD (for induction/additional configuration) as reported on the United Airlines Fleet-2023 / Boeing 737MAX Production/Deliveries-2023 forum threads.

BB78710

Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:58 pm

LAXPolaris wrote:

LHR is managing capacity over this coming summer they are not restricting landing slots.

Upguaging ORD-LHR to larger aircraft increases capacity which is what LHR is trying to keep down. United can't remove a 76L and then simply replace that lost capacity by putting much larger 787s on their remaining ORD-LHR flights.

LAXPolaris

Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:41 pm

BB78710 wrote:
LAXPolaris wrote:

LHR is managing capacity over this coming summer they are not restricting landing slots.

Upguaging ORD-LHR to larger aircraft increases capacity which is what LHR is trying to keep down. United can't remove a 76L and then simply replace that lost capacity by putting much larger 787s on their remaining ORD-LHR flights.

Then that makes me question why they removed that flight. Seems like it would’ve made more sense to remove a SFO or LAX. Chicago can funnel so many more connections than a west coast hub so should have more capacity.

ORDfan

Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:12 pm

schernov wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Aside from cargo - that's about it.
A380 wale is a cool site -I see it over the house on approach every day coming off the lake over Lawrence Avenue.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by 'regular,' but LX still sends their A343s as well.

yeogeo

Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:57 am

...speaking of quad pax jets at O'Hare

ORDfan wrote:
I'm not sure what you guys mean by 'regular,' but LX still sends their A343s as well.

It's true they have recently (late March), but they've transitioned LX8/9 to the triple seven through the summer, then change to A330 on 28 Oct. Swissair's second daily flight ORD/ZRH, LX6/7, begins 9 May and will operate the A330 through 9 November.

Not to say we couldn't see some 4-holer subs from time to time.
I remember Iberia has flown A346's to O'Hare in the past but those were retired in 2020, according to Wiki, Currently their ORD/MAD daily flight is operating with A330's.

...so we're still left with only BA's A380, LH's B748 and LH's A346 for four-engined passenger aircraft this summer, I believe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos