Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sz1998

Re: Chicago Aviation - 2023

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:33 pm

Chisky16 wrote:
Just browsing for flights on JetBlue this month out of ORD, and their website only shows one flight to BOS and JFK each way for March. Is this true? There are AA flights listed alongside the JetBlue flights. They also seemed to have dropped FLL. Does anyone know if they plan on increasing any frequencies to JFK or BOS? At this rate, could we see them shutter ORD altogether and shift flight to AA?

Be serious. JetBlue is set to takeover Spirit's hub operation at ORD... they're not leaving the market.

BB78710

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:54 pm

sz1998 wrote:
Chisky16 wrote:
Just browsing for flights on JetBlue this month out of ORD, and their website only shows one flight to BOS and JFK each way for March. Is this true? There are AA flights listed alongside the JetBlue flights. They also seemed to have dropped FLL. Does anyone know if they plan on increasing any frequencies to JFK or BOS? At this rate, could we see them shutter ORD altogether and shift flight to AA?

Be serious. JetBlue is set to takeover Spirit's hub operation at ORD... they're not leaving the market.

Just a couple of quick question how many flights does Spirit operate out of ORD?

Is that number high enough to justify as you called it "hub" operations?

sz1998

Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:11 pm

BB78710 wrote:
sz1998 wrote:
Chisky16 wrote:

Just a couple of quick question how many flights does Spirit operate out of ORD?

ORD is one of their operating bases -- they serve almost 20 destinations. Per Spirit's own materials, ORD is one of their leading focus cities.

schernov

Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:38 pm

So now you will be able to book AA flight operated by Spirit. Nice. Looking forward to it.

jcwr56

Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:32 am

Delta sending 6 diversions to ORD due to DTW being closed. 3 INTL and 3 Domestic.

Planeboy17

Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:08 am

Chisky16 wrote:

Yes, B6 will only have only 2 flights to JFK and BOS for March and April. Beginning 5/5 there will be a second flight to JFK. BOS remains 1 daily until September when it goes to 3 but I wouldn’t believe that until it gets much closer.
This large reduction in flights ( they used to run 5 BOS, 3 JFK and 1 FLL pre pandemic) is partially pandemic but more so to the NEA. I don’t know why the schedule is so AA centric. B6 has complained about lack of gate access at ORD and now they will have 2 flights for 1 gate for 2 months and then 3 for the summer. What’s crazy though is for all of January and half of February B6 ran 3 JFK flights a day. So during the deadest and coldest time of the year they ran 3 but into the months of Spring Break they reduce to 1 and for summer only run 2. Also they will only be 190s.
FLL is not coming back. At least not for a the immediate future. Obviously this will change with/ if NK acquisition approval.
I don’t know what the hell B6 is doing here. I don’t think B6 knows what it’s doing at ORD!
To put it in perspective, for March, MKE will have more seats( 280 to 200) and as many flights(2) as ORD. Again, the NEA has a lot to with this but it still is puzzling. At least to me.

United1

Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:45 am

sz1998 wrote:
BB78710 wrote:
sz1998 wrote:

ORD is one of their operating bases -- they serve almost 20 destinations. Per Spirit's own materials, ORD is one of their leading focus cities.

I don't think B6 or NK is leaving the market but calling NK's 4 gate operation at ORD a hub is a stretch. I think NK had 24 flights today out of ORD.

se210

Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:13 am

jcwr56 wrote:
Delta sending 6 diversions to ORD due to DTW being closed. 3 INTL and 3 Domestic.

Here are a couple of the DL DTW diversions to ORD yesterday (03/03/2023) around 19:00-19:30 CST. Most are scheduled ORD-DTW this morning (03/04/2023).

There was also an DL diversion to ORD for this MSP-SDF flight:

BB78710

Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:38 pm

sz1998 wrote:
BB78710 wrote:
sz1998 wrote:

Let's come back to reality NK serves 12 (not 20) destinations nonstop from ORD, and they operate between 20 and 24 daily nonstop flights.

Today Saturday March 4th they only have 22 flights nonstop, on their most busiest days out of ORD that number only increases by 2 flights.

Operating 20-24 daily flights (depending on the day of the week) hardly qualifies as a focus city and it certainly doesn't meet the threshold for a ORD to be call a hub.

If and when this merger is approved I think JetBlue will keep NK's flights to FLL, MCO, and maybe LAX out of ORD. I think the remaining destinations NK serves out of ORD would all be on the chopping block. I don't see B6 keeping destinations like DFW, IAH, ATL, LAS, PHX, TPA, RSW, or even CUN out of ORD. They are going to take those aircraft and redeploy them from either JFK/LGA, BOS, FLL, or even LAX.

jplatts

Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:23 pm

BB78710 wrote:
If and when this merger is approved I think JetBlue will keep NK's flights to FLL, MCO, and maybe LAX out of ORD. I think the remaining destinations NK serves out of ORD would all be on the chopping block. I don't see B6 keeping destinations like DFW, IAH, ATL, LAS, PHX, TPA, RSW, or even CUN out of ORD. They are going to take those aircraft and redeploy them from either JFK/LGA, BOS, FLL, or even LAX.

I had previously mentioned the possibility of WN adding ORD-HOU nonstop service with Houston being one of the top markets traveled to from Chicago on WN that doesn't currently have WN nonstop service out of ORD. There would also be some connecting opportunities to a few WN destinations in South Texas and Mexico such as CRP/CZM/HRL/PVR/SJD from ORD on WN if WN adds ORD-HOU nonstop service.

WN adding ORD-ATL nonstop service is also a possibility, especially if the B6-NK merger gets approved and B6 drops ORD-ATL nonstop service.

sonnyr23

Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:34 pm

Hopefully WN adds ORD to HOU but i don't see ORD to ATL anytime soon though i hope i am wrong. WN can connect customers just as well in BNA as it could in ATL but never say never.
Maybe a seasonal and / or weekend from ORD to LGB or BUR would work.

emcm541

Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am

Small Service Update

- G4 to add MDW-PVU 2x on a 320 starting June 16 - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230306-g42q23

emcm541

Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:39 pm

More service updates

- NK to add ORD-SJU starting May 5 on 230, 7x - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230306-nksju
- WN to resume the following seasonal routes starting September 9: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230306-wnsep23
1. MDW-BOI 1 weekly, 7M8
2. MDW-RNO 2 weekly, 73G/7M8

schernov

Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:46 pm

Chatted with a dude at K stop of the terminal bus. They check boarding passes at a K and at T5. So if no boarding pass showing T5 - no bus.

scaledesigns

Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:45 pm

It seems Atlas 747-8F N863GT, the last 747 made has a mechanical issue and has been at south cargo since yesterday morning. When I was checking out the Atlas aircraft I saw this one come in on 10C 4 hours late, pretty rare for them..

https://www.airlinefan.com/airline-phot ... L/2027650/

schernov

Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:18 am

What's the warranty on a new 747?

emcm541

Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:48 am

As was previously reported:

- AAeagle to begin ORD-CAE starting July 5 on a CR2, 7x - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230308-aajun23

yeogeo

Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:39 pm

Another sign of the cargo sector pulling back at the reins...

Nippon Cargo has been bought out by ANA.
The deal closes on October 1 this year.
Seems they have 8 of these 8's seen regularly at O'Hare.

"NYK Line has bucked the flying liner trend, becoming the first shipping line to ditch its air cargo subsidiary citing too high a cost. This morning it announced it intended to sell 100% of the shares in Nippon Cargo Airlines (NCA) to rival All Nippon Airways (ANA) – but there will be no job losses, ANA pledged."

https://theloadstar.com/nyk-line-sells- ... es-to-ana/
(7 March/'23)

se210

Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:47 am

Three Global X A320s charters to MDW yesterday (3/8/2023) for the NCAA 2023 NCAA Big Ten Men's Basketball Tournament at the United Center this week (Wednesday, March 8th through Sunday, March 12th).
  • N276GX G6643 (SCE-MDW) - Bringing in Penn State from State College, PA
  • N279GX G6620 (EWR-MDW) - Bringing in Rutgers from Newark, NJ
  • N627VA G6111 (IND-MDW) - G61xx flights are ferry flights so perhaps taking back the losing teams (e.g. Wisconsin / Nebraska) back home today.

yeogeo

Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:26 pm

There’s a bit of a buzz on the New Zealand site about United taking over some of the flying duties of NZ’s north American routes.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1481931&start=50
Starts at post #78.

DUDtoDFW wrote:
Grant Bradley's latest (paywalled) in NZH, reporting on a speech from United's SVP of Network Planning, who's in New Zealand: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/united-airlines-working-with-air-new-zealand-on-aotearoa-expansion/54735COEWJEG7DH2OHHGHEEB3E/

- UA working to increase services to New Zealand in conjunction with NZ
    - "Industry chatter" that additional services will be on UA metal
    - Maybe Chicago? NZ "flies just 3 times a week to United's home base"
    - UA can move quickly as didn't retire any fleet or lay off pilots during covid, now #1 on both Atlantic and Pacific from USA, first time since PanAm that an airline has had that distinction
    - Ruled out DEN. Too difficult to operate long haul routes out of, New Zealand would face unacceptable payload hit
    - New Zealand traditionally a "back cabin" market but now "the front cabin is packed"
    - 77Es are "ideal" aircraft for UA from West Coast to New Zealand, leaves 787s for longer routes

The link provided is behind a paywall, but summarized by posters.
The speculation centers on United operating all of AKL<>ORD flights, taking over for Air New Zealand. NZ is short of wide bodies and UA has some to spare due to Asian routes not coming back as strongly as before Covid. The thinking then is that NZ would then be able to operate JFK daily.

emcm541

Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:55 pm

yeogeo wrote:

There’s a bit of a buzz on the New Zealand site about United taking over some of the flying duties of NZ’s north American routes.
Starts at post #78.

DUDtoDFW wrote:
Grant Bradley's latest (paywalled) in NZH, reporting on a speech from United's SVP of Network Planning, who's in New Zealand: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/united-airlines-working-with-air-new-zealand-on-aotearoa-expansion/54735COEWJEG7DH2OHHGHEEB3E/

- UA can move quickly as didn't retire any fleet or lay off pilots during covid, now #1 on both Atlantic and Pacific from USA, first time since PanAm that an airline has had that distinction
    - Ruled out DEN. Too difficult to operate long haul routes out of, New Zealand would face unacceptable payload hit
    - New Zealand traditionally a "back cabin" market but now "the front cabin is packed"
    - 77Es are "ideal" aircraft for UA from West Coast to New Zealand, leaves 787s for longer routes

The speculation centers on United operating all of AKL<>ORD flights, taking over for Air New Zealand. NZ is short of wide bodies and UA has some to spare due to Asian routes not coming back as strongly as before Covid. The thinking then is that NZ would then be able to operate JFK daily.

That's really interesting. Pre-covid, wasn't NZ operating or going to increase to 4x? I could be making that up, but I think they wanted to go to 4x.
Just throwing darts here, but perhaps instead of UA taking over completely, they could compliment each other. From the few people in the biz I still know, I heard ORD-AKL does well both in passenger and cargo, so this change is honestly an aircraft availability issue.

ZK-NBT

Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:54 pm

emcm541 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Starts at post #78.

DUDtoDFW wrote:

That's really interesting. Pre-covid, wasn't NZ operating or going to increase to 4x? I could be making that up, but I think they wanted to go to 4x.
Just throwing darts here, but perhaps instead of UA taking over completely, they could compliment each other. From the few people in the biz I still know, I heard ORD-AKL does well both in passenger and cargo, so this change is honestly an aircraft availability issue.

NZ were 5x pre covid for NW 19/20. Very unlikely UA would take over flying but rather add additional seasonal services, I don’t personally see UA on ORD-AKL but more from the west coast, LAX-AKL, SFO-CHC, hopefully NZ can then free up capacity to put into ORD etc.

yeogeo

Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:17 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
...Very unlikely UA would take over flying but rather add additional seasonal services, I don’t personally see UA on ORD-AKL but more from the west coast, LAX-AKL, SFO-CHC, hopefully NZ can then free up capacity to put into ORD etc.

I hope your'e right. Personally I'd rather see NZ stay at O'Hare anyway.

ZK-NBT

Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:25 am

yeogeo wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
...Very unlikely UA would take over flying but rather add additional seasonal services, I don’t personally see UA on ORD-AKL but more from the west coast, LAX-AKL, SFO-CHC, hopefully NZ can then free up capacity to put into ORD etc.

The article which I can’t read also mentions UA 772s are good for west coast US-NZ while 789s are ideal for longer routes, what context that is weather they mean longer routes to NZ or elsewhere I don’t know. NZ won’t drop any US routes as they are about the Australia-US connections and have a connecting bank at AKL, the UA/NZ JV doesn’t cover Australia.

My take is more UA to NZ from the west coast.

panam330

Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:14 am

yeogeo wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

ORD-AKL would be a NICE get since NZ's J seat is atrocious, but I personally LOVE seeing such an exotic carrier at ORD so if the swap happens I'd be pretty bummed from an enthusiast standpoint.

emcm541

Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:39 pm

Service Update (unsure if just a paperwork/filing update)

- JL to fly ORD-HND 7x on a 789 starting March 26 - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230310-jlna

yeogeo

Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:06 pm

Haven't been through O'Hare since January so this is new to me:
UA mainline jets in upper E gates of T2! How many decades since that's been the case?

United is operating out of all its new gates in E now but Alaska has yet to take the construction barriers down at its two gates (right side of photo below).

jetblastdubai

Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:11 pm

yeogeo wrote:
United is operating out of all its new gates in E now but Alaska has yet to take the construction barriers down at its two gates .

Is UA using the low C gates (C1- C8) for mainline as well or is it mostly RJs yet?

se210

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:21 am

yeogeo wrote:
Haven't been through O'Hare since January so this is new to me: UA mainline jets in upper E gates of T2!
How many decades since that's been the case?

Here are some UA mainline jets from 4 decades ago on the upper E gates at T2. Early/Mid 80's before the move to T1...

Source: Private Postacard Collection

Planeboy17

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:32 am

emcm541 wrote:
Service Update (unsure if just a paperwork/filing update)

- JL to fly ORD-HND 7x on a 789 starting March 26 - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230310-jlna

Looks like no NRT flights at all. This will be the first time in a very long time, probably since the last 744 flight on the route, that there will be no 773 on the route.

midway7

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:51 pm

Here are some UA mainline jets from 4 decades ago on the upper E gates at T2. Early/Mid 80's before the move to T1...

That is a classic shot. I believe it first appeared in the Sunday magazine of the Chicago Tribune in the mid 1980's. It really depicts the UA hub at ORD during that time. I believe this was right before the opening of T1. All of the classic UA metal is in the picture, at T2! Those were some fun times.

yeogeo

Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:54 pm

se210 wrote:

Thanks se! for the photo. A DC10 at gate E-3 just blows my mind. Where'd they put all the peeps??
But to that question... I have a memory :old: of meeting a UA 747 from HNL in the rainbow/Saul Bass colors at E4, but I don't remember the terminal being particularly overrun.

jetblastdubai wrote:
Is UA using the low C gates (C1- C8) for mainline as well or is it mostly RJs yet?

I haven't actually studied the makeup of a/c at the south end of C, but I believe it's mostly E-170/5's.
I wander down there from time to time to see if any changes have occurred in respect to the building of Sat 1. At some point UA will lose gates there to construction, which I seem to remember that the "new" mainline gates in T-2 E will serve as a temporary substitute.

emcm541

Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:33 pm

yeogeo wrote:
I haven't actually studied the makeup of a/c at the south end of C, but I believe it's mostly E-170/5's.
I wander down there from time to time to see if any changes have occurred in respect to the building of Sat 1. At some point UA will lose gates there to construction, which I seem to remember that the "new" mainline gates in T-2 E will serve as a temporary substitute.

Every now and then there are some CRJs at those gates, but I haven't seen many there in a while. I can remember taking a mainline jet (737??) out of one of those low C gates in Jan. 2020, but mostly E-Jets these days.

yeogeo

Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:51 pm

According to this source, O'Hare is, as of now, less than 100 movements from the busiest title, with the possibility of surpassing Atlanta in movements this summer. We'll see how it shakes out.

https://aviationsourcenews.com/analysis ... the-cards/
Try to ignore the very dated photograph of the field; the data they present is up to date.

PHAN2OM

Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:28 pm

yeogeo wrote:
According to this source, O'Hare is, as of now, less than 100 movements from the busiest title, with the possibility of surpassing Atlanta in movements this summer. We'll see how it shakes out.

Try to ignore the very dated photograph of the field; the data they present is up to date.

ORD has always "felt" much busier to me. I know, not very scientific. Sometimes I wonder how much coordination goes on between the scheduling of banks between UA and AA, if at all. I guess that must be a contributing factor as there never seems to be a "downtime" at ORD the way there is at ATL because for much of the day there is either a UA or an AA bank or both plus a heavy international bank in the evening. ATL only has DL that controls all the banks and a miniscule international bank compared to ORD which means that there are defined parts of the day when it does feel "quiet" in ATL in a way that I have never found to be the case at ORD. The only place that feels as or more busy than ORD to me is LAX which has an international bank that dwarfs many airports entire domestic operations virtually from early morning Hawaii/Australia arrivals, morning TPAC arrivals, afternoon Euro arrivals, evening departures to Europe, midnight departures to Asia. And of course a huge domestic presence for essentially all US airlines running in the background.

ilive4planes

Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:30 pm

Just saw that Saudia could be adding ORD in the Future!!

Lamp1009

Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:25 pm

yeogeo wrote:

Considering UA's Upgauging exercises and massive incoming expansion, even if ORD doesn't regain its old title of busiest airport in the world, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close within the next few years. O'Hare 21 cannot come soon enough.

PoorSailorsAir

Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:33 am

PHAN2OM wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

ORD has always "felt" much busier to me. I know, not very scientific. Sometimes I wonder how much coordination goes on between the scheduling of banks between UA and AA, if at all. I guess that must be a contributing factor as there never seems to be a "downtime" at ORD the way there is at ATL because for much of the day there is either a UA or an AA bank or both plus a heavy international bank in the evening. ATL only has DL that controls all the banks and a miniscule international bank compared to ORD which means that there are defined parts of the day when it does feel "quiet" in ATL in a way that I have never found to be the case at ORD. The only place that feels as or more busy than ORD to me is LAX which has an international bank that dwarfs many airports entire domestic operations virtually from early morning Hawaii/Australia arrivals, morning TPAC arrivals, afternoon Euro arrivals, evening departures to Europe, midnight departures to Asia. And of course a huge domestic presence for essentially all US airlines running in the background.

I get the same feeling when passing through these two airports, but I believe its simply ATL’s better layout. Taxiing traffic flows significantly better at ATL. ORD has gotten much better, but bottlenecks still remain.

Planeboy17

Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:13 am

PoorSailorsAir wrote:
PHAN2OM wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

I get the same feeling when passing through these two airports, but I believe it’s simply ATL’s better layout. Taxiing traffic flows significantly better at ATL. ORD has gotten much better, but bottlenecks still remain.

It’s not bottlenecks it’s the size of the airport. ORD has 8 operational runways, ATL has 5. ORD has much more acreage to be able to have so many runways. ATL has 4 runways close to the terminals, similar to LAX. That helps cut down the taxi time but ATL will have to build another runway somewhere, just like 10/28, but they’ll have a very limited land for it.

Planeboy17

Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:15 am

ilive4planes wrote:
Just saw that Saudia could be adding ORD in the Future!!

Saudia has mentioned publicly and on their website but haven’t heard anything substantial yet. Maybe after their new Dreamliner order something will be released soon.

CHI787ORD

Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:41 am

I flew through T5 last week on QR to DOH. The DL side of the terminal is looking great IMO. Concourse feels a little narrow with all the additional concessions but in general it feels like a much better experience than was in T2.

The TSA line wasn’t an issue for me as I have pre check but that entire passage is still too narrow and dimly lit. Are any airlines directing passengers to use the new smaller TSA checkpoint? Southwest maybe? Any plans to reconfigure the main TSA checkpoint and duty free at all?

The new terminal addition also felt much bigger and spacious as compared to what I saw in photos. I personally like the “Jetsons” jet age architecture design. Also loved the great views of the hard stand from here. There was a LH 748 out there on the day I was there. I’m excited to see how it all turns out when concessions are added. Rest of the terminal is still being renovated so we will see how that all unfolds. Hopefully it ends up looking more like how the DL side does.

jcwr56

Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:13 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
I flew through T5 last week on QR to DOH. The DL side of the terminal is looking great IMO. Concourse feels a little narrow with all the additional concessions but in general it feels like a much better experience than was in T2.

The TSA line wasn’t an issue for me as I have pre check but that entire passage is still too narrow and dimly lit. Are any airlines directing passengers to use the new smaller TSA checkpoint? Southwest maybe? Any plans to reconfigure the main TSA checkpoint and duty free at all?

The new terminal addition also felt much bigger and spacious as compared to what I saw in photos. I personally like the “Jetsons” jet age architecture design. Also loved the great views of the hard stand from here. There was a LH 748 out there on the day I was there. I’m excited to see how it all turns out when concessions are added. Rest of the terminal is still being renovated so we will see how that all unfolds. Hopefully it ends up looking more like how the DL side does.

The lighting issue is being addressed and yes, CP11 is used by carriers but it's open for only peak times. What you saw at CP10 is the final layout, even duty free stays as it.

The east concourse reno's will become a little more aggressive starting next week as terrazzo work will take hold rooms M18 and M19, the set of washrooms next to M18 and up to M16/17. By June, all new flooring will be from the center of the building out to the far east gates.

As for SV, they are holding operating times for summer 2023 and handing back on a monthly basis. Same with MU, HU and CX. Now that the US has lifted covid testing restrictions, a decision to operate is more based on commercial reasons than covid restrictions.

chicawgo

Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:06 pm

yeogeo wrote:

There were several months last year where ORD was indeed busiest in terms of movements. Definitely fluctuates throughout the year.

dopplerd

Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:44 pm

yeogeo wrote:

This article is doing a very poor job of describing the data from another website. The original data is the average number of daily flights over a 7 day period. It is being described as, "For March 5-12, Chicago O’Hare achieved 1,979 movements," the total number of flights in a week. This is not true. According to the original source O'Hare had 1,979 average daily flights Mar 5-12 so ORD saw ~13,853 movements in that week (1,979*7). This also means that ORD is not 100 flights per week behind ATL but 100 flights per day or roughly 5%.

With the upgauging UAL is doing in it's schedule along with the gate constraints during construction I do not see ORD catching ATL in movements this year.

dopplerd

Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:56 pm

dopplerd wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

This article is doing a very poor job of describing the data from another website. The original data is the average number of daily flights over a 7 day period. It is being described as, "For March 5-12, Chicago O’Hare achieved 1,979 movements," the total number of flights in a week. This is not true. According to the original source O'Hare had 1,979 average daily flights Mar 5-12 so ORD saw ~13,853 movements in that week (1,979*7). This also means that ORD is not 100 flights per week behind ATL but 100 flights per day or roughly 5%.

With the upgauging UAL is doing in it's schedule along with the gate constraints during construction I do not see ORD catching ATL in movements this year.

To add actual data to this BS:
From the article:
"Below is the last four weeks’ worth of data from the Atlanta-based airport:"
[CHART]
"What we can see from the data is that the difference between Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International and Chicago O’Hare is the number of movements is less than 100."

What the chart actually shows is that ORD is 2,513 movements behind ATL for that period. ATL: 56,315 movements in that 4 week period, ORD: 53,802.

yeogeo

Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:04 pm

dopplerd wrote:

Can you give us a link to the other website you reference?

-also - what gate restraints are you referring to?

dopplerd

Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:12 pm

yeogeo wrote:
dopplerd wrote:

Can you give us a link to the other website you reference?

-also - what gate restraints are you referring to?

Radarbox.com, the website that the article you linked to uses as its source but incorrectly interprets.

https://www.radarbox.com/statistics/airports/KORD

On RadarBox they clearly identify the numbers as 7 day average which is incorrectly treated by aviationsourcenews.com as the total weekly numbers of AC movements.

As far as gate constraints, until the completion of the terminal expansion at ORD (10 years or more away) the constraining factor at ORD will be the number of available gates as the airport now has a runway configuration that is no longer the capacity limit.

CHI787ORD

Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:40 pm

The bigger issue seems to be AA’s drawdown and not UA upgauging or lack of gates. Until AA starts adding frequencies again on some busy routes like SFO, SEA, and bringing back some old destinations ORD will be #2.

Planeboy17

Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:08 am

jcwr56 wrote:
CHI787ORD wrote:

The lighting issue is being addressed and yes, CP11 is used by carriers but it's open for only peak times. What you saw at CP10 is the final layout, even duty free stays as it.

The east concourse reno's will become a little more aggressive starting next week as terrazzo work will take hold rooms M18 and M19, the set of washrooms next to M18 and up to M16/17. By June, all new flooring will be from the center of the building out to the far east gates.

As for SV, they are holding operating times for summer 2023 and handing back on a monthly basis. Same with MU, HU and CX. Now that the US has lifted covid testing restrictions, a decision to operate is more based on commercial reasons than covid restrictions.

Thanks for the info jcwr56. Looking at it with rose colored glasses, at least the carriers are still holding times and not just cutting service.
Any news on El Al?

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:17 am

CHI787ORD wrote:
The bigger issue seems to be AA’s drawdown and not UA upgauging or lack of gates. Until AA starts adding frequencies again on some busy routes like SFO, SEA, and bringing back some old destinations ORD will be #2.

My two cents:

I'm not one for conspiracy theories (unless I have existing trends to back it up), but I think AA's drawdown is intentional. I suspect (though this is just my opinion) the long-term goal is to get AA down to just the following hubs: DFW/MIA/CLT + one East Coast hub (either PHL or JFK depending on NEA). AA doesn't need to be a big airline (they cannot be everything to everyone), but it does need to be a profitable one.

Question is what would happen to ORD? I don't think ORD is going to be substituted by building another AA hub. AA could concentrate on the Deep South cause that's where their bread and butter is.

Historically speaking, out of the US3, only DL has been building hubs organically [in the past two decades]. JFK was built organically, BOS too. SEA was semi-organic. DTW and MSP were acquired. AA and UA acquired some of their hubs, but for several years haven't built new hubs.

There are two scenarios that could happen in this scenario:

Best case scenario in an AA withdrawal:

DL withdraws from DTW and organically builds a new, bigger and better hub at ORD at T5. MSP would be retained as a reliever hub for ORD (domestic service + Europe and ICN).
For those worried about DTW, it would still see local services from low-cost carriers and overseas services from some international carriers (probably there'd actually be room for expansion of the latter if DL ditched DTW for ORD).

MSP and ORD are far enough apart that they could maintain both as they do with MSP and DTW. ORD and DTW are too close to each other.
DL would take AA's place as #2 in ORD and be a much more formidable competitor to UA's stronghold at ORD than AA has been.

Worst case scenario in an AA withdrawal:

UA monopolizes ORD and prices throughout the Midwest go up exponentially. This one is the more likely scenario. While a UA monopoly would ultimately mean more possibilities of cool flights around the country and the world, it wouldn't matter cause one would have to pay out of their nose for UA flights.

The future of AA:

PHX, AUS, and SEA could remain good focus cities for AA; but I think ORD and LAX have got to go for AA. They need to concentrate on the Deep South + JFK (or PHL in a worse case scenario). Deep South prints money for AA, and isn't that what shareholders want to see?

It's the same with DL at ATL, and UA at ORD/DEN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos