Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcwr56

Re: Chicago Aviation - 2023

Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:42 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
PHAN2OM wrote:
I was asking if you can go from T3 to T5 with a T3 BP for the lounge for instance.

+1. the announcement is super annoying without the specifications. plenty of pre-cleared flights arrive in T5 with onward connections from the domestic terminals. if i were traveling AUH-ORD or DUB-ORD connecting to an AA flight and just had carry-on luggage, it would be super handy to use the bus.

another great use case is lounges. previously, the only PP lounge at ORD was the sub par AF/KL lounge which I would sometimes use. and, more recently, the flagship and polaris lounges.

The precleared flights will be able too. However, with EY moving to a morning operation, they'll be outside the operational window at the moment.

jcwr56

Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:52 pm

ORD3 wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
When does ORD go to use it or loose it in the gates?? With T2 going to get demolished I can see UA taking over concourse G and AS with newly merged B6 in L.

I recall jcwr commented on the use it or lose it sometime last year, noting that there is a 12 month break-in period after the T5 expansion is complete (which is fall 2023 IIRC?).

I thought I saw in the lease that the gate reallocation wouldn't actually happen until April 1 of the year following the conclusion of the 12M break-in period. So if my math is correct - T5 expansion ends fall 2023, the 12M period ends fall 2024, then the reallocation wouldn't happen until 4/1/25. I'd assume reallocation would be based off activity during the 12M after the T5 expansion completion.

That's how I would look at it. This also means schedules for Winter 2023 will come in play for January, February and March of 2024. Reducing during winter might not help carriers in the long term to retain gates.

emcm541

Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:08 pm

A quick note...

- UA's ORD-KEF is now it's only service from the US to Iceland after dropping EWR-KEF - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230227-uakef

dopplerd

Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:42 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
When does ORD go to use it or loose it in the gates?? With T2 going to get demolished I can see UA taking over concourse G and AS with newly merged B6 in L.

The demo of T2 will not happen until the new mid-field satellite concourse and the C extension are operational. This is where UA will move to for the demo of T2. After new T2 is built all of the independent airlines will move from G to T5.

NK and Cape Air are currently the only non AA (and OW) flights in non-G T3. In the interim terminal plan (prior to demo of T2 which is still many, many years off) AS moves to T1 (E15 & E17), Cape Air to T5 (M1), and NK to G gates with check in from T2 like B6 currently operates. AA (and OW) would then be the only airline operating in the T3 check in area. This is based on the documents posted Nov 2022.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/great_lake ... pendix_d_1

I think this is mostly driven by AA wanting access to the check in space in T3. The L gates are too far from T2 to have passengers check in there and walk to the end of L. The G gates, while effectively T3 are very close to T2 check in.

trueblew

Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:30 pm

ORDLHR787 wrote:
trueblew wrote:
Crosswind787 wrote:

I wonder who will benefit from freed up space, not sure how big DL wants to get, probably not much bigger, but connections to Skyteam partners and a few more routes like LAX and MCO I would imagine could be on the table.

Once AAs E145s retire some routes may upgrade to e175 but at reduced frequency more than likely. Or cut the route all together. Fewer and fewer mainline destinions on AA and fewer and fewer daily frequencies on routes. With the use it or lose it policy by the city coming into play I just can't see how AA hold onto gates with their trajectory. Again, I know UA wants more real estate at ORD. Maybe southwest, JetBlue/spirit or someone else does too.

Chicago is a massive market that AA is undervaluing and someone else can gain from.

Which markets do Delta have concentrations of loyal HVCs outside of their current hubs and enough O&D traffic to ORD? These outstations might be good candidates for new DL service to ORD in this scenario.

Per the CrankyFlier: “Delta apparently had five focus cities before the pandemic: Austin, Cincinnati, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, and San Jose.”

https://crankyflier.com/2021/03/09/delt ... ocus-city/

I don’t mean Delta focus cities (although those would be obvious candidates). I mean outstations with many Delta loyal flyers which also have enough O&D to Chicago to support a flight. For example, Savannah, New Orleans, Birmingham, Washington, Charleston, etc.?

Lamp1009

Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:55 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
There’s no question that AA has been reducing their presence at ORD for several years now but remember that we are still recovering from a pandemic and AA is still short of planes and especially pilots right now. They literally just cut their summer schedule a few days ago. Of course, ORD received the brunt of it. However, this talk of AA dehubbing again is just ridiculous. It truly is. In an above thread it showed AA only going to operate 350 flights out of ORD this summer while DFW and CLT will have over 800 and 600 respectively. DFW, CLT,MIA and DCA are the only fortress hubs AA has. With the limited resources, they are doing the prudent thing by adding flights to 3 of those hubs ( DCA is slot restricted ).
AA has hubs in LAX, PHX, DFW, ORD, NYC, PHL, DCA, CLT and MIA. You really think AA would shut down a hub in the third largest metro area in the US along with a top 20 economy of the world and leave a gaping hole in the middle of the country? Not to mention the loss of a major maintenance base along with cargo facilities.
Barring some kind of bankruptcy filing AA won’t be closing down the ORD hub anytime soon.

I don't think the real question is of dehubbing, but rather reducing focus, basically turning AA's ORD operation into something similar to that of UA's LAX or even IAH operation, significantly reducing one aspect of their business (long haul) to the benefit of another aspect (short-haul/commuter) or just drawing it down. AA will not dehub ORD, but significantly reduce its scope long term? That is very possible.

MLIAA

Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:13 pm

Crosswind787 wrote:
JetAwayDrew wrote:
onwFan wrote:
Completely flawed logic conveniently ignoring the 30-60 Air Wisconsin airframes, all to be based at ORD and replacing the E145s. If anything, it is UA that has cut all those small destinations from ORD because they cannot be sustained on larger aircraft.

None or which have a first class cabin. A huge downgrade in my opinion.

Exactly, adding crj-200s does not seem like a modern investment in the ORD hub when compared to all other AA hubs that gain new routes and frequencies on mainline metal or large RJs. Further proving the AA drawing down ORD slowly. What customer wants to fly the crj-200 anywhere in 2023? What AA FF will look at this as an upgrade or investment in service?

Again, maybe not a full dehubbjng but definitely a drawback and scale down compared to AAs other hubs that have all grown inspite of ORD.

I am in no way a fan of the lackluster offerings AA has at ORD, but shuttering the hub is a stretch.

The CRJ-200s are coming online to phase out the 145s. That's it. It's not an upgrade, it's not a downgrade, Envoy 145s out, Whisky 200s in. This allows Envoy resources to go to DFW and PHX while maintaining the large 170/175 operation at ORD.

AA just paid out of their ears for the new OGT project, they will stay in Chicago.

ORDLHR787

Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:11 pm

Lamp1009 wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
There’s no question that AA has been reducing their presence at ORD for several years now but remember that we are still recovering from a pandemic and AA is still short of planes and especially pilots right now. They literally just cut their summer schedule a few days ago. Of course, ORD received the brunt of it. However, this talk of AA dehubbing again is just ridiculous. It truly is. In an above thread it showed AA only going to operate 350 flights out of ORD this summer while DFW and CLT will have over 800 and 600 respectively. DFW, CLT,MIA and DCA are the only fortress hubs AA has. With the limited resources, they are doing the prudent thing by adding flights to 3 of those hubs ( DCA is slot restricted ).
AA has hubs in LAX, PHX, DFW, ORD, NYC, PHL, DCA, CLT and MIA. You really think AA would shut down a hub in the third largest metro area in the US along with a top 20 economy of the world and leave a gaping hole in the middle of the country? Not to mention the loss of a major maintenance base along with cargo facilities.
Barring some kind of bankruptcy filing AA won’t be closing down the ORD hub anytime soon.

I don't think the real question is of dehubbing, but rather reducing focus, basically turning AA's ORD operation into something similar to that of UA's LAX or even IAH operation, significantly reducing one aspect of their business (long haul) to the benefit of another aspect (short-haul/commuter) or just drawing it down. AA will not dehub ORD, but significantly reduce its scope long term? That is very possible.

I think that’s right. The question is, then, does that reduction in scope open up opportunities for any airline other than UA, namely DL, but potentially many others?

Lamp1009

Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:24 pm

ORDLHR787 wrote:
Lamp1009 wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:

I think that’s right. The question is, then, does that reduction in scope open up opportunities for any airline other than UA, namely DL, but potentially many others?

I'd argue it's UA's to lose, unless the DOT gets in the way. Pretty much all of UA's great-lakes/midwest traffic is focussed at ORD, and they could never afford a new hub (especially in the region). Delta has too many hubs and WN has Midway. JetBlue/Alaska maybe?

Crosswind787

Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:37 pm

MLIAA wrote:
Crosswind787 wrote:
JetAwayDrew wrote:

None or which have a first class cabin. A huge downgrade in my opinion.

Exactly, adding crj-200s does not seem like a modern investment in the ORD hub when compared to all other AA hubs that gain new routes and frequencies on mainline metal or large RJs. Further proving the AA drawing down ORD slowly. What customer wants to fly the crj-200 anywhere in 2023? What AA FF will look at this as an upgrade or investment in service?

Again, maybe not a full dehubbjng but definitely a drawback and scale down compared to AAs other hubs that have all grown inspite of ORD.

I am in no way a fan of the lackluster offerings AA has at ORD, but shuttering the hub is a stretch.

The CRJ-200s are coming online to phase out the 145s. That's it. It's not an upgrade, it's not a downgrade, Envoy 145s out, Whisky 200s in. This allows Envoy resources to go to DFW and PHX while maintaining the large 170/175 operation at ORD.

AA just paid out of their ears for the new OGT project, they will stay in Chicago.

My point is that they are reducing ORD to a small hub / focus city at their current rate. They won't leave all together, but they either
A. Must increase service levels and frequencies to keep gates and make the OGT worth their while, or

B. The city will make the decision for them and boot them from gates / terminals when they can't justify keeping them due to service cuts, and to let someone who has a vision for more flights come in and make it a reality. It's AA choice how to proceed. They know the stakes.

Think DL in CVG when they merged with NW. CVG was a large DL hub with 500+ daily departures. It slowly withered to a small focus city with mainly RJ service and mainline to other hubs. Then it was reduced even further. I know it's because DTW and MSP aren't too far away, but it was easy to shift flight to other hubs and eventually shutter CVG. But it was a slow death by a thousand papercuts method of closing CVG hubs down similar to what we see at ORD today. And to think AA couldn't move Midwest connections over to PHL/DFW/CLT/PHX is wrong thinking. It would be less convenient for pax but completely plausible from an ops stand point. Not saying it would be smart but nothing AA does really seems smart. They are in the worst financial state of any big US airline.

jetblastdubai

Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:51 pm

ORDLHR787 wrote:

Regardless of what gates AA might hypothetically lose in the future, I doubt that DL or WN would ever want a split operation between T3 and T5.

muralir

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:24 pm

onwFan wrote:
muralir wrote:
Lamp1009 wrote:
Isn't AA in the middle of a massive wide-body shortage though? They seemed to let go of more than what was reasonable when they retired their a330s, 767s, and 757s (not a widebody but it fills some of the widebody roles), especially since they can't get 787s quickly enough, and want to retire some of their 777-200ERs. It seems like they don't really have much of a choice when it comes to focussing their long-haul operations at their costal hubs and DFW, at least until they can get more planes. They, like delta but to a much greater extent, made a huge miscalculation with their fleet management during the pandemic, and now it's UA's opportunity of a lifetime for international growth, and they clearly jumped right on it with their 100 + 100 option 787 order.

I'll give AA the benefit of the doubt for the next couple of years. Covid scrambled everyone's plans, so it's not fair to take the last few years and assume that's their long-term strategy. Furthermore, the reduction in flights really began when the FAA implemented voluntary flight caps years ago before the ORD runway reconfiguration happened. You can't blame them for focusing on places like DFW which had room to grow vs ORD where getting slots was always a battle.

But that said, even before covid, AA's strategy seemed to be to gradually de-emphasize ORD. And despite ORD's flight restrictions, UA managed to maintain more service, and also brought on more service more quickly once the caps were lifted. I agree with @United787. Looking back a few years doesn't really give you a full picture of AA's death-by-a-thousand-papercuts approach to ORD. In the 80s/90s, UA and AA both had loyal customers, and international service was comparable. But now, I know of only one person in my network who still has AA loyalty, and he doesn't fly much and it's mainly a historical thing for him. In the 90s and even early 00's, AA had more TPAC and TATL flying out of ORD than DFW. Heck, the first direct flight to India from Chicago was ORD-DEL on AA (not even AI; they stopped in London). The amount of reduction in travel over the past couple of decades has been breathtaking.

What remains of AA's ORD hub is largely domestic connections to regional cities and small towns, and of course connections to their OW partners. Sure, that still technically constitutes a hub. But in a city like Chicago, that doesn't really build loyalty. You can get away with a domestic-focused hub in smaller cities that don't have much competition. But in Chicago, people expect an extensive global network. You're not going to build a loyal base of flyers -- especially frequent business flyers -- by telling them that they can get to Duluth IA nonstop but if they need to fly to anywhere in Europe ex-LHR, they'll have to connect through DFW or PHL. Not when United is offering more. And if AA's just going to codeshare on their partners, it's not like OW's partnerships at ORD are more extensive than SA (or even SkyTeam, depending on where you want to go). So I really don't think AA's strategy for ORD will set it up for long-term success. I don't know their numbers, but I suspect they're bleeding FF members and corporate contracts in Chicago. And if you're not getting a good chunk of Chicago's massive O&D market, then you're right; there's no advantage to hubbing in Chicago vs DFW or PHL or CLT.

@onwFan: it's not just AA that decides which cities are hubs. In cities like Chicago that have options, your customers have to go along with it. If what AA wants out of an ORD hub is not the same thing as what Chicagoans want from a hub airline -- and if UA does give them what they want -- then AA's hub will whither whether they want it to or not. It takes 2 parties to make a hub work, and in big cities like Chicago, plus LA, NYC, and others, we see that AA is losing that competition.

Note, this may be the right strategy for AA: perhaps they really can be more profitable staying away from brutally competitive markets like ORD (and LAX, NYC) and focusing on where they can overcharge customers in captive hub cities. But if you decide you're going to cede every top-10 city outside of Dallas to your competitors, maybe you'll be profitable, but you won't be a very big airline.

A lot of things to comment on. But I’ve covered the essence of it already in the my previous posts. As discussed in the UA thread as well, UA has cut a lot of destinations as well and ceded them to AA post covid at ORD; and thanks to the loss of the Air Wisconsin deal, reduced frequencies on many existing routes that compete with AA. In fact, based on the schedules from May/June onwards, we are pretty much seeing a swap of UA and AA’s schedules in the midwest from ORD with Air Wisconsin (many destinations with several frequencies a day on UA are now reduced to just 1 or 2 per day on two class jets, when the AA frequencies move up). It wouldn’t be surprising to see even more smaller destinations (that are just not best served by larger jets) be dropped by UA. While it makes a convenient argument to say that UA is ‘further ahead in the game’ of dropping single class jets, for the next 5 or so years, AA will be the one better poised to serve many of those destinations effectively, and even in the future by building those markets. That, taken with the fact that DL has been continuously reducing in the midwest as well from MSP and DTW should only help AA at ORD. It is well known that most of the money is made in not on the fancy long haul routes, but rather these smaller inner destinations.

Let’s look into the long haul from ORD. Firstly, your point that AA’s offering from ORD is not more comprehensive than SkyTeam is simply false. SkyTeam is nothing but marginal at ORD with a token presence of 2 flights a day to Europe and one flight (not even daily now) to Asia.

As for AA vs UA, let’s first consider TATL summer. AA and its JV partners offer ~15x daily flights to Europe, whereas UA and its JV partners offer ~21x daily flights. You can choose to boost the numbers by including other alliance partners, just remember that while AA offers codeshares on all those carriers, UA does not offer codeshare on even one of those international flights from ORD, and wants you to just connect on their JV partners.

As for TPAC, yes AA’s offer is currently 1x daily flight vs UA’s 3x daily (~ 5x daily if you include China’s suspended routes). Your statement that ORD is just a network of regional destinations for AA is nothing but a gross exaggeration. Even to your point of UA getting people to more nonstop destinations in Europe, what are they? They are also basically almost all to their JV hubs of FRA, MUC, ZRH, VIE, BRU; plus AMS year-round. EDI, SNN, MXP are seasonal and not necessarily captive markets. Both AA and UA serve CDG, FCO and BCN (UA added recently) while AA offers MAD, HEL and ATH that UA doesn’t.

Compare that to IAH/DFW where UA is 6x daily TATL flights vs AA’s ~ 13x daily flights. As for TPAC, UA is just 2x daily vs AA’s 4x/6x daily. So, clearly AA uses ORD as much as DFW for TATL while UA’s is heavily skewed to ORD. At the same time the total TATL offering from ORD + DFW/IAH is still very similar. On the other hand, AA and UA use these in complementary ways for TPAC, with UA using ORD primarily and AA using DFW.

But your last last point basically sums up the error in your logic perfectly, because despite all you said they are the largest airline in the world by most metrics. This 10% difference in market share between UA and AA at ORD has been there for ages, as has been this hypothesis that AA will wither away in ORD into irrelevance.

Thanks for your counterpoints. I'm not anti-AA by any means (although I currently do most of my flying on United),and I *want* AA to succeed in Chicago. Chicago derives enormous benefit from having the only dual-hub airport in the country. It keeps both AA and UA honest. UA fares are for sure lower than they would be thanks to AA competing with them.

I'll also admit that comparing AA/OW to SkyTeam was a bit of trolling :-). But that said, I do disagree with some of your statements:

"It is well known that most of the money is made in not on the fancy long haul routes, but rather these smaller inner destinations."
I do think you're discounting the importance of international flights in building a hub, especially in a competitive city like Chicago. I'm not an aviation insider, so I have no actual hard numbers, but I'd be surprised if short-haul, regional flying was really the backbone of their profits. If so, why do so many such routes need subsidies to keep flying? And if short haul domestic routes are where the profit is, why is AA trying to outsource that to Alaska in Seattle and JetBlue in NYC and focus on international routes from those cities? And again, a smaller city might be content with being a regional, domestic hub -- or even a focus city. But not a place like Chicago where flyers have the option of much more extensive hub operations from competing airlines.

There's a reason why there's no dominant hub in LAX or JFK. It's not like airlines wouldn't love to have a fortress hub and overcharge 20 million rich, captive residents. But those pesky residents have other plans, and if one airline gets too uppity, they'll switch to another one providing equally extensive service. The same goes for Chicago. If you don't offer extensive regional connections, frequent nonstops to all the big domestic cities, *and* convenient international service, then there's another airline 1 terminal over who will. While I'd agree that AA provides #1 and 2, I do think it's lacking in #3.

And regarding international service. I do think the JV vs codeshare vs alliance distinction is overblown. Most flyers, even frequent flyers, don't even know what airlines have a JV. And they don't care. All they want to know is which airlines can they use/earn their miles on, which ones provide reciprocal status, and maybe which ones share lounges. Not even codeshare really matters (I doubt anyone cares what the exact flight number is on a ticket). I think this is one area where OW and SA are different. My understanding is that in OW, whether you earn miles or not depends on whether you buy your ticket with an AA number or the operating airline. In SA, it doesn't really matter. When I book a flight, I don't really look and see whether it's an LH / SQ / etc flight or a UA codeshare. I just book whichever one is cheapest. (Actually, that's not true; I actively avoid codeshares and try to book with the operating airline because with irrops, I don't want to deal with the merry-go-round of each airline saying it's the other airline's responsibility to help me out. Again, in SA, it doesn't matter my benefits are largely the same -- and sometimes earning by miles on a discounted LH fare is better than earning by dollars on the very same flight booked as a UA codeshare).

So I think it's totally legit to compare all of SA with all of OW, and not just limit to JVs. Because I can guarantee that's what flyers do. And if SA is twice as large than OW? Yes, and that gives UA a huge benefit. You can't just say that's not fair and then discount it. All of these things are competitive advantages in building a loyal base of customers, which you need to sustain a hub.

Re: throwing IAH into the mix: I'm not sure what your point with that is. I'm a Chicago homer, I couldn't care less what United does with Houston, aside from transfer more service from there to here :-) If what you're saying is that UA at ORD + IAH has the same number of flights / service as AA at ORD + DFW, then I think you're making my point since UA is much weaker at IAH than AA is at DFW, so ORD is comparatively a much bigger piece of the pie for UA than it is for AA. Am I missing something in your logic?

And my point with the final paragraph wasn't actually a logical error. It was just throwing AA a bone, giving it the benefit of the doubt that maybe their bigger picture moves make sense from a profit standpoint. But truth be told, I don't think it's a profitable strategy either. In fact, it's clearly not since AA is the least profitable of the Big Three + Southwest. It can't be profitable to give up a pre-existing hub in the 3rd largest metro area, located in one of the most ideal geographical points that's served as the dominant, natural transportation hub of the entire country since the days of the steamboat and rail. Maybe international service isn't the be-all and end-all of airlines. After all, Southwest does fine with basically no int'l service, and they carry more pax in Chicago than AA. But there has to be *some* strategy besides gradually letting it whither on the vine. Again, I'm willing to give it a few years for the post-covid chaos to settle down. But I don't really see a strategy here, and regardless of metric, be it overall passenger numbers, profitability, international service, flight ops, etc. it seems that American is clearly on a downhill slide at ORD, regardless of how they're doing in their other hubs.

Note: this isn't a binary thing where either American turns ORD into its version of Delta's ATL or else it dehubs it completely and only provides 1 flight a day to DFW. I personally believe AA will always have a "hub" at Chicago if you look at pure passenger numbers and flight ops. It has too many advantages (geography, local economy, pre-existing operations) for even a poorly run airline to mess it up too badly (how's that for trolling? ;-) ). And given ORD's overall size, even being second fiddle at ORD gives you bigger numbers than anything out of the top-10 hubs in the country. It's not going the way of TWA's hub at STL or something like that, unless Chicago as a city dies off.

But there are hubs and there are hubs. American at ORD used to be a much bigger hub, truly equivalent to UA's operations. That's no longer true. Doesn't mean it's not still a hub, even one that other cities would love to have. But relative to what AA used to be, and what it could be again if it chooses to invest in Chicago (in fairness, that would probably have to come at the expense of other cities), AA's hub is clearly diminished and seems to be on the road to diminishing further rather than growing. Again, we'll see how things shake out in a few years when the post-covid mess settles down -- and even more, when the terminal expansion is further along. At that point, if gates are plentiful, as are pilots and planes, and AA still chooses not to grow ORD, then we'll know AA's real intentions with Chicago.

onwFan

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:24 pm

Crosswind787 wrote:
MLIAA wrote:
Crosswind787 wrote:

My point is that they are reducing ORD to a small hub / focus city at their current rate. They won't leave all together, but they either
A. Must increase service levels and frequencies to keep gates and make the OGT worth their while, or

B. The city will make the decision for them and boot them from gates / terminals when they can't justify keeping them due to service cuts, and to let someone who has a vision for more flights come in and make it a reality. It's AA choice how to proceed. They know the stakes.

Think DL in CVG when they merged with NW. CVG was a large DL hub with 500+ daily departures. It slowly withered to a small focus city with mainly RJ service and mainline to other hubs. Then it was reduced even further. I know it's because DTW and MSP aren't too far away, but it was easy to shift flight to other hubs and eventually shutter CVG. But it was a slow death by a thousand papercuts method of closing CVG hubs down similar to what we see at ORD today. And to think AA couldn't move Midwest connections over to PHL/DFW/CLT/PHX is wrong thinking. It would be less convenient for pax but completely plausible from an ops stand point. Not saying it would be smart but nothing AA does really seems smart. They are in the worst financial state of any big US airline.

The fallacy in your point is already evident in that you even compare ORD as a hub in AA’s network with DL’s CVG which was sandwiched between two other midwest hubs for the same traffic. ORD is AA’s only hub for the midwest and to think that they can move midwest connections to PHL/DFW/CLT/PHX is just ridiculous (as is this whole topic of AA dehubbing ORD into a focus city). FWIW, with all the pilot shortages, AA will have almost as many flights as DL does at DTW or MSP. At 350 flights a day, if ORD is not an AA hub, then I guess you would not consider DTW or MSP as hubs for DL, right??

muralir

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:46 pm

ORDLHR787 wrote:

Hell (or Atlanta) will freeze over before DL makes Chicago a hub :-) There's no reason to go toe-to-toe with UA and AA when they have hubs at MSP and DTW and a developing one in SLC.

Personally, I think that if AA shrinks, UA will grow to absorb as much as possible, and the rest will go to the ULCCs. Don't discount Spirit / Frontier and even Southwest in growing their ops if the opportunity is right. Chicago's dual-hub airport is an anomaly, one that's likely an unstable equilibrium, which is what we're seeing right now. Dual hubs might have been more sustainable when there were many more airlines out there, each with only 1 or 2 hubs and therefore were willing to compete for other cities. But thanks to mergers and only 3 majors left, no one is hungry for developing a new hub. If anything, everyone is actively shrinking hubs. Delta's really the only one that developed something brand new at JFK.

So most likely if AA shrinks, no one is going to replace it and build some brand new hub. UA will grow as much as they want to, and the rest will be split up with ULCCs and others opportunistically picking up point-to-point flights where they can make it work.

ORDfan

Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:23 am

Paywall article in Crain's about T3 remodel. $50 million of the $200 million coming from the FAA portion of infrastructure bill, which will take some pressure off the portion funded by airport fees and othe federal funds.

Construction starting this summer and should be completed by 2025. "The new money will be used to reconfigure the terminal's security checkpoint, update its baggage handling system, add retail space, widen the corridor between concourses K and L and build restrooms that comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act."

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/airline ... a-upgrades

glbltrvlr

Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:39 am

"add retail space"
Sigh.

BigPlaneGuy13

Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:34 am

ORDfan wrote:
Paywall article in Crain's about T3 remodel. $50 million of the $200 million coming from the FAA portion of infrastructure bill, which will take some pressure off the portion funded by airport fees and othe federal funds.

Construction starting this summer and should be completed by 2025. "The new money will be used to reconfigure the terminal's security checkpoint, update its baggage handling system, add retail space, widen the corridor between concourses K and L and build restrooms that comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act."

Realistically, what can ORD do with $200M for the terminal? The terminal could definitely use some new paint and better lighting. What it really needs is wider holding areas in H and K but that is certainly a pipe dream. As long as they don't mess with the beautiful hall with all the flags and globe, this will be a welcome improvement.

I don't think Terminal 3 needs any additional retail space, either. Instead give a facelift to the spaces that already exist. There are vacancies in several parts of the terminal...

Crosswind787

Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:24 pm

onwFan wrote:
Crosswind787 wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

The fallacy in your point is already evident in that you even compare ORD as a hub in AA’s network with DL’s CVG which was sandwiched between two other midwest hubs for the same traffic. ORD is AA’s only hub for the midwest and to think that they can move midwest connections to PHL/DFW/CLT/PHX is just ridiculous (as is this whole topic of AA dehubbing ORD into a focus city). FWIW, with all the pilot shortages, AA will have almost as many flights as DL does at DTW or MSP. At 350 flights a day, if ORD is not an AA hub, then I guess you would not consider DTW or MSP as hubs for DL, right??

Well, welcome to A net, where people discuss opinions and aviation topics. You seems to be ignoring where AA has only shrunk at ORD over the last 5 years.

CVG shuttered due to proximity to DTW and MSP. But it would not have if DL/NW never merged. ORD was clear #2 to AA and since the AA/US merger, and AA has done nothing to take advantage of ORD, making cuts and downsizing the hub, pushing connection to other hubs if possible, and leaving a small group of tiny Midwest airports tied to the downsized ORD hub with fewer connections for those connecting Midwest pax. And now the city will nail the coffin shut unless AA wakes up and starts utilizing their gates to their potential. You and I can go back and forth all we want, but reality is, the city will force them off those gates and allow UA to grow (or others) if AA doesn't figure out how to use ORD like they used to (they don't have to but now there will be consequences)

Crosswind787

Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:50 pm

It appears at MDW that on june 5th DL will go all mainline, and end DL Connection services to MSP and DTW. Will these CRJs be upgraded to A220 / 717s or will it be a319s?

emcm541

Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:31 pm

Some non-route news (apologies if already posted):

All rideshare at ORD will now pickup from T2 departures. If arriving into T5, have to take ATS to T2 to pick up a rideshare, started yesterday - https://abc7chicago.com/ohare-airport-c ... /12887425/

SRQLOT

Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:41 pm

ORDfan wrote:

Is there a refresh of the carpet and seating too with it? I hope they do SLC type bathrooms. Would be nice not to get your neighbors splatter on your shoes.

SRQLOT

Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:42 pm

emcm541 wrote:

All rideshare at ORD will now pickup from T2 departures. If arriving into T5, have to take ATS to T2 to pick up a rideshare, started yesterday - https://abc7chicago.com/ohare-airport-c ... /12887425/

Just few weeks I helped few people in T3 with the Uber situation. Would be nice for better signage.

emcm541

Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:12 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
emcm541 wrote:

Just few weeks I helped few people in T3 with the Uber situation. Would be nice for better signage.

Signage in general at ORD is very subpar lately, but the rideshare signage is a complete joke. It's either non existent, or what is there is completely confusing.

gabik001

Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:26 pm

emcm541 wrote:

They should do better. Is a mess for all that not arriving at T2 and want to use a rideshare. Especially after midnight more ATS sets should be riding.

ORDfan

Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:23 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
emcm541 wrote:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again until CDA reads it. They should move the Uber stand to the main core parking garage, like MSY and LGA. There are plenty of empty spaces in there and they could carve out a small section for the Uber Zone. The air side pick-ups are incrediblty inefficient.

Furthermore, I stopped taking Ubers to/fromt the airport. The CURB app is pretty solid/easy, pickups are always on time, and most of the time now (especially early AM flights), its cheaper than Uber or Lyft in Chicago. Same goes for arrivals. I go straight to the taxi stand now. It's not even worth waiting for an Uber anymore.

Cubsrule

Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:22 pm

gabik001 wrote:
emcm541 wrote:

They should do better. Is a mess for all that not arriving at T2 and want to use a rideshare. Especially after midnight more ATS sets should be riding.

Frequent Terminal 5 user here. I’m torn. Rideshare pickup at Terminal 5 was a circus and in the afternoons the traffic was frequently so bad that this riding over to Terminal 2 may actually be a time saver.

ORDfan

Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:23 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

Is there a refresh of the carpet and seating too with it? I hope they do SLC type bathrooms. Would be nice not to get your neighbors splatter on your shoes.

I'm not 100% sure on carpet and seating, but I do think so - I think that was mentioned in some ORD21 literature previously back when they first received federal funding and the mayor's press release talks about various renovations to exterior and interior.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/d ... -rece.html

Honestly, I think T3 is pretty solid - a cosmetic refresh, some updated restaurant/retail modernization is all that's really needed. I also hope they don't mess with the main flag hall. If anything, they should get rid of those advertising banners on the columns.

drdisque

Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:21 pm

Crosswind787 wrote:
It appears at MDW that on june 5th DL will go all mainline, and end DL Connection services to MSP and DTW. Will these CRJs be upgraded to A220 / 717s or will it be a319s?

It's pretty much all 717 to DTW and MSP - I think MSP gets an occasional A319.

yeogeo

Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:40 am

Hadn't seen this referred to upthread:
Allegiant is adding MDW-PVU beginning June 16th.
Provo Municipal Airport is approximately a 45 minute drive south and east from Salt Lake City.

PVU becomes the 6th destination for Allegiant at Midway, along with PGD, VPS, SAV, TYS and AVL.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 50092.html
https://www.allegiantair.com/interactive-routemap

se210

Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:19 pm

The CDA (Chicago Department of Aviation) website was updated with the Terminal Transfer Bus details on various webpages. Here is a summary:

• Business / Media / News: O’Hare International Airport to Restore Terminal Transfer Bus Service on March 1 (02/22/2023)

The daily service will include two different routes running every 15 minutes between the hours of 11:30 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. One Terminal Transfer Bus route will operate between Gate B1 at Terminal 1 and Gate M13 at Terminal 5. The other Terminal Transfer Bus route will operate between Gates G17 and K20 in Terminal 3 and Gate M13 at Terminal 5. Both bus routes will transport passengers in each direction.

• O'Hare / Getting To And From / Connecting Traveler

Domestic Connections
    You can…Board the Terminal Transfer Bus (boarding pass required) between Terminals 1, 3 and 5 in the locations shown: ​
    • Terminal 1 Pick-Up Locations - Gate B1
    • Terminal 3 Pick-Up Locations - Gate G17, Gate K20
    • Terminal 5 Pick-Up Location - Gate M13
    • Terminal Transfer Bus image mentions: Passenger connecting to a flight at M1-M40 in Terminal 5 can take the Terminal Transfer Bus to avoid exiting and re-entering security
  • O'Hare / My Flight / International Traveler

Step 5 - Connecting Flights/Transfers
    • Passengers arriving from a Preclearance airport may travel to their connecting flight in Terminals 1, 2 or 3 without exiting security and getting rescreened by taking the Terminal Transfer Bus. The bus operates from 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. daily, and passengers must show a boarding pass.
    • Passengers connecting to a domestic flight in Terminals 1, 2 or 3 who are not arriving from a Preclearance destination can take the free Airport Transit System (ATS) and be screened at a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint at their connecting terminal. These passengers are also welcome to be re-screened at a TSA checkpoint at Terminal 5, and board the Terminal Transfer Bus.

• One page PDF link at flychicago.com/TransferBus

Terminal Transfer Bus
    • Passengers with connecting flights can use the secure airside bus service between Terminal 5 and Terminals 1 and 3 to avoid exiting and re-entering security
    • Bus Stops: Terminal 1, Gate B1; Terminal 3, Gates G17 and K20; Terminal 5, Gate M13 (All bus stops are [wheelchair] accessible with the exception of Gate K20)
    • 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. daily; Departs every 15 minutes
    • Travel Times Between Locations:
      -Terminal 1 to Terminal 5 ... 18 MINUTES
      -Terminal 5 to Terminal 1 ... 13 MINUTES
      -Terminal 3 Gates to Terminal 5 ... 13 MINUTES
      -Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Gates ... 5 MINUTES
    • All times are approximate and may vary. Allow for extra travel time when possible
    • Boarding passes are required.
    • To transfer outside of operating hours, exit the secure area and board the Airport Transit System (ATS), then go through security screening again at your connecting terminal

yeogeo

Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:30 pm

se210 wrote:
The CDA (Chicago Department of Aviation) website was updated with the Terminal Transfer Bus details on various webpages. Here is a summary:..

Thanks for assembling all the info, se! I'm printing it all out for future reference :thumbsup:

Crosswind787

Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:31 pm

How soon can we expect that awful, cringy audio recording of the now ex mayor of Chicago to be removed from ORD and MDW? I can't stand hearing that voice when I step off an airplane. You can see the looks on other passengers faces when it would start to play

BB78710

Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:45 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
gabik001 wrote:
emcm541 wrote:

Frequent Terminal 5 user here. I’m torn. Rideshare pickup at Terminal 5 was a circus and in the afternoons the traffic was frequently so bad that this riding over to Terminal 2 may actually be a time saver.

Don't ride to T2 instead do what I do when I arrive into T5 take the ATS over to Lot F/ Rental Cars. Not only will you get an Uber fast it will be significantly cheaper than getting an Uber to pick you up at ORD. Another benefit of going to the pick up spot at lot F is the Uber pick up spot is considered Rosemont so you not charged the $5 dollar tax Chicago charges for every Uber or Lyft that picks up at ORD.

BB78710

Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:47 pm

Crosswind787 wrote:
How soon can we expect that awful, cringy audio recording of the now ex mayor of Chicago to be removed from ORD and MDW? I can't stand hearing that voice when I step off an airplane. You can see the looks on other passengers faces when it would start to play

Hopefully the moment she leaves office if not before.

emcm541

Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:40 pm

Some Service updates:

1. AA has published the AirWisky CR2 routes (apologies if some of this is old news) - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230301-aacrj

Chicago O’Hare – Albany
    Chicago O’Hare – Appleton
    Chicago O’Hare – Birmingham (2 flights in May)
    Chicago O’Hare – Bloomington
    Chicago O’Hare –Cedar Rapids
    Chicago O’Hare – Champaign IL
    Chicago O’Hare – Cincinnati
    Chicago O’Hare – Cleveland
    Chicago O’Hare – Columbia MO
    Chicago O’Hare – Columbia SC
    Chicago O’Hare – Columbus OH
    Chicago O’Hare – Dayton
    Chicago O’Hare – Des Moines
    Chicago O’Hare – Detroit
    Chicago O’Hare – Flint
    Chicago O’Hare – Fort Wayne
    Chicago O’Hare – Grand Rapids
    Chicago O’Hare – Green Bay
    Chicago O’Hare – Huntsville
    Chicago O’Hare – Indianapolis
    Chicago O’Hare – Kalamazoo
    Chicago O’Hare – Knoxville
    Chicago O’Hare – La Crosse
    Chicago O’Hare – Lansing
    Chicago O’Hare – Lexington
    Chicago O’Hare – Little Rock
    Chicago O’Hare – Louisville
    Chicago O’Hare – Madison
    Chicago O’Hare – Manhattan KS
    Chicago O’Hare – Marquette
    Chicago O’Hare – Memphis
    Chicago O’Hare – Milwaukee
    Chicago O’Hare – Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Chicago O’Hare – Moline
    Chicago O’Hare – Montreal
    Chicago O’Hare – Omaha
    Chicago O’Hare – Peoria
    Chicago O’Hare – Richmond
    Chicago O’Hare – Rochester MN
    Chicago O’Hare – Rochester NY
    Chicago O’Hare – Sioux Falls
    Chicago O’Hare – Springfield IL
    Chicago O’Hare – Springfield MO
    Chicago O’Hare – Toronto
    Chicago O’Hare – Traverse City
    Chicago O’Hare – Waterloo
    Chicago O’Hare – Wausau
    Chicago O’Hare – Wichita
    Chicago O’Hare – Wilkes-Barre

2. United and Air Canada have made the following frequency adjustments for certain JV/transborder routes (some are old news) - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230301-acua

United

Chicago O’Hare – Calgary Increase from 13 to 14 weekly
    Chicago O’Hare – Montreal Reduce from 20 to 14 weekly
    Chicago O’Hare – Ottawa Reduce from 19 to 7 weekly
    Chicago O’Hare – Toronto Increase from 38 to 40 weekly

Air Canada
    Montreal – Chicago O’Hare Reduce from 5 to 3 daily
    Toronto – Chicago O’Hare Reduce from 56 to 48 weekly
    Vancouver – Chicago O’Hare Reduce from 2 to 1 daily

Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:35 pm

emcm541 wrote:
Some Service updates:

1. AA has published the AirWisky CR2 routes (apologies if some of this is old news) - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230301-aacrj

Chicago O’Hare – Albany
    Chicago O’Hare – Appleton
    Chicago O’Hare – Birmingham (2 flights in May)
    Chicago O’Hare – Bloomington
    Chicago O’Hare –Cedar Rapids
    Chicago O’Hare – Champaign IL
    Chicago O’Hare – Cincinnati
    Chicago O’Hare – Cleveland
    Chicago O’Hare – Columbia MO
    Chicago O’Hare – Columbia SC
    Chicago O’Hare – Columbus OH
    Chicago O’Hare – Dayton
    Chicago O’Hare – Des Moines
    Chicago O’Hare – Detroit
    Chicago O’Hare – Flint
    Chicago O’Hare – Fort Wayne
    Chicago O’Hare – Grand Rapids
    Chicago O’Hare – Green Bay
    Chicago O’Hare – Huntsville
    Chicago O’Hare – Indianapolis
    Chicago O’Hare – Kalamazoo
    Chicago O’Hare – Knoxville
    Chicago O’Hare – La Crosse
    Chicago O’Hare – Lansing
    Chicago O’Hare – Lexington
    Chicago O’Hare – Little Rock
    Chicago O’Hare – Louisville
    Chicago O’Hare – Madison
    Chicago O’Hare – Manhattan KS
    Chicago O’Hare – Marquette
    Chicago O’Hare – Memphis
    Chicago O’Hare – Milwaukee
    Chicago O’Hare – Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Chicago O’Hare – Moline
    Chicago O’Hare – Montreal
    Chicago O’Hare – Omaha
    Chicago O’Hare – Peoria
    Chicago O’Hare – Richmond
    Chicago O’Hare – Rochester MN
    Chicago O’Hare – Rochester NY
    Chicago O’Hare – Sioux Falls
    Chicago O’Hare – Springfield IL
    Chicago O’Hare – Springfield MO
    Chicago O’Hare – Toronto
    Chicago O’Hare – Traverse City
    Chicago O’Hare – Waterloo
    Chicago O’Hare – Wausau
    Chicago O’Hare – Wichita
    Chicago O’Hare – Wilkes-Barre

2. United and Air Canada have made the following frequency adjustments for certain JV/transborder routes (some are old news) - https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230301-acua

United

Chicago O’Hare – Calgary Increase from 13 to 14 weekly
    Chicago O’Hare – Montreal Reduce from 20 to 14 weekly
    Chicago O’Hare – Ottawa Reduce from 19 to 7 weekly
    Chicago O’Hare – Toronto Increase from 38 to 40 weekly

Air Canada
    Montreal – Chicago O’Hare Reduce from 5 to 3 daily
    Toronto – Chicago O’Hare Reduce from 56 to 48 weekly
    Vancouver – Chicago O’Hare Reduce from 2 to 1 daily

ORD to YYZ and YUL on a CR2? Ouch! I've done that before... NEVER AGAIN!

jetblastdubai

Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:35 pm

emcm541 wrote:
Some Service updates:

There's got to be a few smiling faces at UA Headquarters seeing this list. United has been at a disadvantage for years in so many markets by not having a competitive plane to offer. This Mesa/Air Wisc. swap starts to reverse that trend.

theVagabond

Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:48 pm

BB78710 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
gabik001 wrote:

Don't ride to T2 instead do what I do when I arrive into T5 take the ATS over to Lot F/ Rental Cars. Not only will you get an Uber fast it will be significantly cheaper than getting an Uber to pick you up at ORD. Another benefit of going to the pick up spot at lot F is the Uber pick up spot is considered Rosemont so you not charged the $5 dollar tax Chicago charges for every Uber or Lyft that picks up at ORD.

This! I had the same thought...likely quicker, certainly cheaper.

theVagabond

Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:55 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
emcm541 wrote:
Some Service updates:

There's got to be a few smiling faces at UA Headquarters seeing this list. United has been at a disadvantage for years in so many markets by not having a competitive plane to offer. This Mesa/Air Wisc. swap starts to reverse that trend.

Agreed...this is worse than I thought. I'm assuming these routes are all not 100% CR2?

wr911

Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:20 pm

Thank you for that wonderful tip, ORD has been confusing as hell to find the ride share pick up area.

AJ

gabik001

Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:27 am

theVagabond wrote:
BB78710 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

This! I had the same thought...likely quicker, certainly cheaper.

I did not look for it from this point. Usually I got a ride (family, friends) but in the middle of the night I would rather not wake them up to pick me up so rideshare is the only option (as I am living 10 minutes from ORD). Next time I'll try that. Thanks for a tip!

Planeboy17

Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:52 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
emcm541 wrote:
Some Service updates:

There are no initial Mesa 900 routes out of ORD. They will be flying exclusively out of DEN and IAH. Most of the routes that ZW flew for UA will be replaced by 175s from medium routes like DSM, OMA, IND etc. that will be replaced by incoming 737s arriving this year.

jetblastdubai

Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:20 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:
emcm541 wrote:
Some Service updates:

There are no initial Mesa 900 routes out of ORD. They will be flying exclusively out of DEN and IAH. Most of the routes that ZW flew for UA will be replaced by 175s from medium routes like DSM, OMA, IND etc. that will be replaced by incoming 737s arriving this year.

I'm aware of that. It's just fortunate that whatever reduced number of RJ flights UA keeps out of ORD will be on a much more comfortable plane. Losing frequencies always sucks though. I've seen a few markets go from 3 to 2 flights.

Italianflyer

Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:51 am

WOW! Some of those ZW CR2 parings are insane. I can see a rotations to smaller cities within Illinois, Western Michigan, Wisconsin and eastern Iowa making sense but ORD-MSP/YYZ/YUL/SDF/CVG/MEM/ DTW/DSM and a few others are like a shot in the foot. Even if not mainline they are sustainable for 2 class RJs.
it's like AA is handing UA/WN & DL most of these markets on a silver platter. I can see the most loyAAl flyers choosing a CRJ over a 170(5), 737 or Airbus for the sake of miles.

onwFan

Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:34 am

Italianflyer wrote:
WOW! Some of those ZW CR2 parings are insane. I can see a rotations to smaller cities within Illinois, Western Michigan, Wisconsin and eastern Iowa making sense but ORD-MSP/YYZ/YUL/SDF/CVG/MEM/ DTW/DSM and a few others are like a shot in the foot. Even if not mainline they are sustainable for 2 class RJs.
it's like AA is handing UA/WN & DL most of these markets on a silver platter. I can see the most loyAAl flyers choosing a CRJ over a 170(5), 737 or Airbus for the sake of miles.

No, it is not insane. That list is simply the set of routes that see at least one frequency on ZW at some point over the summer. Most of those are not routes being taken over entirely by ZW. In fact, UA has been doing the exact same thing for ages to fly more frequencies on certain routes, and many of those frequencies going away at the excuse of upgauging.

ORDLHR787

Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:36 am

By any chance at all, will Virgin’s new membership in SkyTeam increase the chance they’ll resume ORD-LHR?

Magnum9

Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:03 am

ORDLHR787 wrote:
By any chance at all, will Virgin’s new membership in SkyTeam increase the chance they’ll resume ORD-LHR?

Why would it? SkyTeam (DL) has nothing to offer VS that it doesn’t already offer at DL hubs VS already flys to (JFK, BOS, ATL, LAX, SEA).

VS has tried ORD several times and pulled out each time. Heck, even AA struggles to make ORD-LHR work outside peak summer.

Chisky16

Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:05 pm

Just browsing for flights on JetBlue this month out of ORD, and their website only shows one flight to BOS and JFK each way for March. Is this true? There are AA flights listed alongside the JetBlue flights. They also seemed to have dropped FLL. Does anyone know if they plan on increasing any frequencies to JFK or BOS? At this rate, could we see them shutter ORD altogether and shift flight to AA?

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:08 pm

Chisky16 wrote:
Just browsing for flights on JetBlue this month out of ORD, and their website only shows one flight to BOS and JFK each way for March. Is this true? There are AA flights listed alongside the JetBlue flights. They also seemed to have dropped FLL. Does anyone know if they plan on increasing any frequencies to JFK or BOS? At this rate, could we see them shutter ORD altogether and shift flight to AA?

Come on, now... B6 is not going to pull out of ORD just because they have 2 flights a day in the winter...

sz1998

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:30 pm

Every spring, like clockwork, the Chicago forum is filled with the standard AA dehubbing nonsense.

Let's all come back to reality -- there's nothing wrong with AA adjusting their ops at ORD. Is ORD the fortress hub for AA that it used to be? No -- but that doesn't under any circumstances mean that the airline is abandoning their hub. American has extensive and lucrative corporate contracts in Chicago and the Midwest.

As stated before, the airline is now on the hook for a very expensive sum related to ORD's expansion. AA maintains a very healthy and developed hub operation in Chicago, far more connected than Philadelphia, Phoenix, Washington, or other major AA stations. It's fascinating that these conversations always seem to focus on Chicago... If there are any major hub operations at risk in the AA network, Philadelphia has remained bludgeoned for years now, and AA has made clear there is not any interest in rebuilding it.

ORD is and will remain AA's midwestern hub; DFW cannot absorb the traffic of an ORD hub shuttering. Next topic, please!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos