Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bigant0408

Re: Philadelphia Aviation - 2023

Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:34 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
So lets try this again. I posted few days ago about Eastern Airlines Open House for flight attendants but they had took the post down. Now they just brought back the post with new open house dates. See if this last

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/def ... &source=EN

Maybe if they hosted the job fair inside the city they would get more opportunity for people to access this job fair. I hope they can fill those open positions.

Strategically I agree with you on that. Maybe budget-wise to save money they figured to host at their own headquarters. I'll be curious about where they intend to fly this time around. Trying to find any new reports/articles on them is difficult.

Side note hypothetically speaking the airport would have I believe 4 airlines with a flight attendant hub at the airport: AA/Piedmont, Frontier, Connect, and Eastern. So I think good things are coming its just at very slow pace then the rest of the US cities

Bigant0408

Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:37 pm

Ericresnick wrote:
aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I think another issue is that IMO Philly is more a leisure market than a business market like NYC, Boston and DC especially on the international front. Icelandair was doing good but covid messed that up and doubt they will be coming back. Aer Lingus even uses there 321LR vs the 330. I've just come to the point that internationally the airport will not see much interest from international carriers especially non-oneworld members. Domestically I think the airport is doing well but could be better in regards to more routes and competition

Yea I mentioned about the Turkish airport CEO wishlist of serving Philadelphia from any airline. But with TK already mentioning the US they intend to serve in the near future we can nip that in the bud for service. As mentioned before I think the only new airlines we are to look forward to in the near future are Connect Airlines and potentially Arajet if they stick to the route filing they requested to serve the airport. And Maybe Hawaiian Airlines after they start receiving there 787s. Eastern Airlines as well but again I'll believe it when I see it

Just when we were making major headways to build a more robust international network (especially with the CMN flight), Covid came to wipe it all away. What's wild is that the PHL metro is 9th highest in US GDP output, has one of the highest concentrations of eds + meds, and is 6th most populous, but as you said, we are eclipsed by what's above and below us. Geography is surely not our friend and that story won't ever change unless PHL somehow explodes on the international scene. With the focus on growing cargo operations and what I personally believe could be incredibly impactful on the city's future with the Bellwether District (https://www.thebellwetherdistrict.com/), maybe we get some international additions in the upcoming years. But watching the stagnancy at PHL while other airports gain new destinations, airlines, and frequencies is a major bummer as a PHL-based flyer. Here's hoping PHL's new director has more influence in elevating the airport's position.

PHL relies on leisure and connections for overseas. It has a lot of originating as well. PHL used to support two dozen daily Transatlantic flights in summer and now it’s down to half that. I think the traffic and connection opportunities are there, but PHL hemorrhages traffic to EWR and NYC due to price and schedule. To me shlepping up there isn’t worth it but when I see lack of options to Europe these days it’s tempting. Anecdotally Phila area intl flyers seem to use NYC 1/3 to half the time since Covid. Just my small sample size observation. I don’t see anyone use Dulles as it’s just too far. But yeah, we are cursed by location.

I feel the same way. I hate flying out of Newark but prices are so much cheaper 2/3 of the time. I know Newark and JFK are far away but I personally hate having to leave earlier than I would like and possibly getting stuck in traffic on 95.

Bigant0408

Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:45 pm

crownvic wrote:
flyjoe wrote:
[quote="jplatts"
PHL is likely better off with the merged AA-US as AA serves some smaller regional destinations that aren't served by UA and that had AA service prior to the AA-US merger such as ABI, AEX, CLL, COU, FSM, GCK, AZO, GRK, LAW, GGG, MQT, MLU, SJT, TXK, TYR, ACT, ALO, CWA, and SPS.

I would say PHL was better off under US than AA with your examples. I’m sure PHL travelers, the airport and businesses would rather have back the international destinations in Europe, Caribbean, and elsewhere in the country that’s been lost, than gaining one stop access to Longview, Killeen, Tyler and a bunch of other small towns that have minimal to no PDEW.

Hands down, PHL was FAR better off with US for so many reasons. To start, their operating costs were lower than American's and PHL was their flagship international city and was adding new international destinations every year. PHL was US's big fish in a small pond. Now PHL is a small fish in AA's big pond and is always competing with AA's other hubs and frequently loses out. There was also a lot more feed in the old US days which could fill up these overseas PHL flights that O&D could not. Honestly, I could go on and on as to why US was better for PHL than AA has been. The key point is, US was focused on PHL, while for AA, it just serves a purpose.[/quote]

Your last statement "The key point is, US was focused on PHL, while for AA, it just serves a purpose" IMO couldn't be more true.

Ericresnick

Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:22 pm

crownvic wrote:
scutfarcus wrote:
Has PHL ever had service to Asia? It must be one of the biggest markets in the US with no service. I would think a JAL connection at Tokyo would be an obvious connection opportunity, even if only for the PHL market!

No, never. However, USAirways did announce PHL- NRT at some point and were planning to lease A340s or A350s (IIRC) to operate the route, but it never materialized as the AA merger precluded it from happening.

PHL also had Beijing approved but it never got started

Ericresnick

Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:34 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Ericresnick wrote:
aerace wrote:
Just when we were making major headways to build a more robust international network (especially with the CMN flight), Covid came to wipe it all away. What's wild is that the PHL metro is 9th highest in US GDP output, has one of the highest concentrations of eds + meds, and is 6th most populous, but as you said, we are eclipsed by what's above and below us. Geography is surely not our friend and that story won't ever change unless PHL somehow explodes on the international scene. With the focus on growing cargo operations and what I personally believe could be incredibly impactful on the city's future with the Bellwether District (https://www.thebellwetherdistrict.com/), maybe we get some international additions in the upcoming years. But watching the stagnancy at PHL while other airports gain new destinations, airlines, and frequencies is a major bummer as a PHL-based flyer. Here's hoping PHL's new director has more influence in elevating the airport's position.

PHL relies on leisure and connections for overseas. It has a lot of originating as well. PHL used to support two dozen daily Transatlantic flights in summer and now it’s down to half that. I think the traffic and connection opportunities are there, but PHL hemorrhages traffic to EWR and NYC due to price and schedule. To me shlepping up there isn’t worth it but when I see lack of options to Europe these days it’s tempting. Anecdotally Phila area intl flyers seem to use NYC 1/3 to half the time since Covid. Just my small sample size observation. I don’t see anyone use Dulles as it’s just too far. But yeah, we are cursed by location.

I feel the same way. I hate flying out of Newark but prices are so much cheaper 2/3 of the time. I know Newark and JFK are far away but I personally hate having to leave earlier than I would like and possibly getting stuck in traffic on 95.

In many cases, door to door time isn't much different due to having to the drive and extra lead time and the $ savings are cut into by tolls, gas and parking (I can Uber to PHL, not JFK). A co-worker says he takes the Amtrak from Exton to NYC and then Sky Train to JFK. Sounds like a pain in the ass, especially when you are coming home and tired. Part of the problem is that PHL flyers are taking advantage of NYC and it makes us effectively a smaller market. Smaller market means higher prices. It's a vicious cycle.

Bigant0408

Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:47 pm

Ericresnick wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Ericresnick wrote:

In many cases, door to door time isn't much different due to having to the drive and extra lead time and the $ savings are cut into by tolls, gas and parking (I can Uber to PHL, not JFK). A co-worker says he takes the Amtrak from Exton to NYC and then Sky Train to JFK. Sounds like a pain in the ass, especially when you are coming home and tired. Part of the problem is that PHL flyers are taking advantage of NYC and it makes us effectively a smaller market. Smaller market means higher prices. It's a vicious cycle.

And I know a few people who book a hotel the night before in NYC to catch a flight the next day as well since tickets are normally cheaper. Yea taking Amtrak to hope on the Sky Train does sound like a pain. I only been to JFK once and it was the worse experience getting there. What was supposed to be almost two hour drive into 3.5 hrs and a missed flight to Athens. As PHL native myself I try to flight out of PHL as much as I can but it all comes down to price vs convenience and which one I'm willing to sacrifice

PHLspecial

Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:29 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
Your last statement "The key point is, US was focused on PHL, while for AA, it just serves a purpose" IMO couldn't be more true.

PHL is the TATL gateway for AA but that's is very limited. I don't mean to sound negative but I don't think the XLRs are going to make PHL a big hub either. I do believe the XLR will help restore a bunch of services to EDI, GLA, SNN, PRG, MAN, BER, MUC/FRA and maybe a second frequency to LIS and year round on BCN. I don't see AA trying new routes on the 787 any time soon. Also since the XLR have a higher operating cost I don't think fares will be competitive with the NYC airports for the same flights.

I agree with the other user and that we are cursed by location

Bigant0408

Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:29 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

PHL is the TATL gateway for AA but that's is very limited. I don't mean to sound negative but I don't think the XLRs are going to make PHL a big hub either. I do believe the XLR will help restore a bunch of services to EDI, GLA, SNN, PRG, MAN, BER, MUC/FRA and maybe a second frequency to LIS and year round on BCN. I don't see AA trying new routes on the 787 any time soon. Also since the XLR have a higher operating cost I don't think fares will be competitive with the NYC airports for the same flights.

I agree with the other user and that we are cursed by location

One thing I will say is if F9 stick to their word when they do receive their XLRs that this will bring some much-needed competition to Eastern & Mainland Europe routes.

PHLspecial

Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:09 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Does anyone know the top unserved domestic and international routes from PHL? Been trying to search but have been having difficulty finding any info

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1479971&p=23639951#p23639951

Here is a link to a thread someone pulling data you are looking for? Maybe this is it

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:22 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Does anyone know the top unserved domestic and international routes from PHL? Been trying to search but have been having difficulty finding any info

Here is a link to a thread someone pulling data you are looking for? Maybe this is it

Thanks I’ll check it out. I appreciate it

Bigant0408

Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:22 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Thanks I’ll check it out. I appreciate it

Bigant0408

Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pm

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/travel/city- ... brand-usa/

Thought this was a decent article from The Times (UK) promoting travel to Philly via British Airways

aerace

Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:56 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/travel/city-breaks-philadelphia-brand-usa/

Thought this was a decent article from The Times (UK) promoting travel to Philly via British Airways

Nice piece. Would be great to see that 2nd BA frequency return giving PHL 4x daily next summer.

PHLspecial

Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:55 am

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Nice piece. Would be great to see that 2nd BA frequency return giving PHL 4x daily next summer.

I think if BA had slots to fill PHL would be considered for the 10x weekly flights.

crownvic

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:35 am

Bigant0408 wrote:

That was good to see. Don't see that often. I recently saw a billboard image online for Aer Lingus also promoting PHL. Might have been on Pinterest, but I just don't recall. Anyway, it was either in Dublin or Shannon. Good to see, none the less.

crownvic

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:37 am

Here is is. It was by the airport in Dublin.
https://twitter.com/blankbaby/status/987451518327644160

Bigant0408

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:11 pm

crownvic wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

That was good to see. Don't see that often. I recently saw a billboard image online for Aer Lingus also promoting PHL. Might have been on Pinterest, but I just don't recall. Anyway, it was either in Dublin or Shannon. Good to see, none the less.

We definitely do not see this often for sure. Thanks for sharing the Aer Lingus link as well

aerace

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:55 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

We definitely do not see this often for sure. Thanks for sharing the Aer Lingus link as well

Ugh but why can't they use an updated skyline photo. The biggest building outside of NYC and Chicago is missing!

piedmontf284000

Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:18 pm

aerace wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Ugh but why can't they use an updated skyline photo. The biggest building outside of NYC and Chicago is missing!

Agreed. The CTC is great architecture and would have definitely enhanced the interest of people wanting to travel to Philly.

PHLspecial

Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:24 pm

Here are some routes that is reachable by the 321XLR but probably will never happen.

PHL-CMN (Maybe if AA is more stable it could happen)
PHL-DSS (Philadelphia has somewhat a West African population, there are other airports in West Africa but figured this one is reachable)
PHL-WAW/KRK (Philadelphia also has small Polish population)
PHL-BOG/LIM (I know BOG can be reached with a standard A321. Philadelphia also has a tiny South America population with Colombians and Peruvians)
PHL-ARN/CPH (Philadelphia is New Sweden)

Any wishful thinking routes?

Bigant0408

Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Here are some routes that is reachable by the 321XLR but probably will never happen.

PHL-DSS (Philadelphia has somewhat a West African population, there are other airports in West Africa but figured this one is reachable)
PHL-BOG/LIM (I know BOG can be reached with a standard A321. Philadelphia also has a tiny South America population with Colombians and Peruvians)

From a 321XLR standpoint here's my wishlist or think is possible

CMN
NCE
KEF
HEL
FRA
MUN
DBV

Bigant0408

Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:24 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
So lets try this again. I posted few days ago about Eastern Airlines Open House for flight attendants but they had took the post down. Now they just brought back the post with new open house dates. See if this last

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/def ... &source=EN

Maybe if they hosted the job fair inside the city they would get more opportunity for people to access this job fair. I hope they can fill those open positions.

FYI I saw on Eastern career website that their flight attendant open house for Feb 7th for the 2pm slot is full and now closed. Don't know what there max for each slot is but that is good thing to see in general.

TheFlyGuy

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:09 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

CMN
NCE
KEF
HEL
FRA
MUN
DBV

I have a similar wishlist. Includes many of the routes operated pre-pandemic plus a few others.

CMN (Oneworld connections with RAM)
EDI or GLA
MAN
BER
PRG
BUD
DBV
SNN
KEF
HEL (Oneworld connections with Finnair)
MUC

PHLspecial

Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:35 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
FYI I saw on Eastern career website that their flight attendant open house for Feb 7th for the 2pm slot is full and now closed. Don't know what there max for each slot is but that is good thing to see in general.

Well that's some positive news. I want Eastern to turn its self around and be successful. Hopefully the Philadelphia market can give them that opportunity and be competitive with the likes of NK or F9 maybe one day AA.

PHLspecial

Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:46 am

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

CMN
NCE
KEF
HEL
FRA
MUN
DBV

I have a similar wishlist. Includes many of the routes operated pre-pandemic plus a few others.

CMN (Oneworld connections with RAM)
EDI or GLA
MAN
BER
PRG
BUD
DBV
SNN
KEF
HEL (Oneworld connections with Finnair)
MUC

My realistic list if PHL gets 10-12 frames of the XLR
EDI
GLA
SNN
FRA
BCN (Year round)
LIS (Second frequency)
BER
PRG
BUD
DBV
MAN

aerace

Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:48 pm

GO BIRDS! Super Bowl schedule is out including some unexpected flights from the Big 3. From Ishrion:

DL
- Feb. 10/11 1x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 13 2x PHX-PHL

UA
- Feb. 10 2x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 12/13 1x PHX-PHL

SW
- Feb. 9/10 2x PHL-PHX
- Feb 11 1x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 13 2x PHX-PHL
- Feb. 14 1x PHX-PHL

Also in other sport-adjacent addition news, PHL-AGS is back for the Masters from 4/2 to 4/10. 1-2x daily.

PHLspecial

Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:19 pm

aerace wrote:
GO BIRDS! Super Bowl schedule is out including some unexpected flights from the Big 3. From Ishrion:

DL
- Feb. 10/11 1x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 13 2x PHX-PHL

UA
- Feb. 10 2x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 12/13 1x PHX-PHL

SW
- Feb. 9/10 2x PHL-PHX
- Feb 11 1x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 13 2x PHX-PHL
- Feb. 14 1x PHX-PHL

Also in other sport-adjacent addition news, PHL-AGS is back for the Masters from 4/2 to 4/10. 1-2x daily.

GO BIRDS
It's a good thing AA had some widebodies to deploy on this route. Did not expect DL, UA, SW to run their own flights. But still awesome!

Ericresnick

Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:03 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
aerace wrote:

DL
- Feb. 10/11 1x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 13 2x PHX-PHL

UA
- Feb. 10 2x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 12/13 1x PHX-PHL

SW
- Feb. 9/10 2x PHL-PHX
- Feb 11 1x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 13 2x PHX-PHL
- Feb. 14 1x PHX-PHL

GO BIRDS
It's a good thing AA had some widebodies to deploy on this route. Did not expect DL, UA, SW to run their own flights. But still awesome!

AA was costing over $2000 last night,RT, NS. Good opportunity to get in on some gouging.

phllax

Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:38 pm

Ericresnick wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
aerace wrote:

DL
- Feb. 10/11 1x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 13 2x PHX-PHL

UA
- Feb. 10 2x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 12/13 1x PHX-PHL

SW
- Feb. 9/10 2x PHL-PHX
- Feb 11 1x PHL-PHX
- Feb. 13 2x PHX-PHL
- Feb. 14 1x PHX-PHL

GO BIRDS

AA was costing over $2000 last night,RT, NS. Good opportunity to get in on some gouging.

Delta is over $2K one way. Outbound is a 800, return is a 757 and a 800.

United is running a Max 9 and 753 outbound with a 753 back on Monday and a Max 9 on Tuesday with a lowest of $1,278 r/t

WN is running 700's and only offering Anytime and Business Select with a $1,574 lowest r/t.

Bigant0408

Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:54 pm

The airport website just release a nice new widget called "Where We Fly". It's basically an interactive tool that shows all non-stop destination from the airport. I played around with it and I like it a lot. It even allows you the option to book a flight on days you select from airlines. While playing around with it I see Spirit is having a one off nonstop flight to Austin on March 7th. I bet it's for the SXSW event.

PHLspecial

Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:38 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
The airport website just release a nice new widget called "Where We Fly". It's basically an interactive tool that shows all non-stop destination from the airport. I played around with it and I like it a lot. It even allows you the option to book a flight on days you select from airlines. While playing around with it I see Spirit is having a one off nonstop flight to Austin on March 7th. I bet it's for the SXSW event.

It's a pretty cool tool. I'm glad that Philadelphia has quite a few things to do despite the bad rep it gets.
It's a good visualization that Philly is missing a few markets to the middle of the country and West coast as well.
Any luck on figuring out what cities PHL is missing out on serving?

FlyingSicilian

Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:28 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

That is nice. I just saw Houston airports are using the same tool now as well. THey must be making a play for all the airports and in growth mode. As a visual person I really like the route maps. Happy for PHL. And was happy to see, on my trip through the airport last week that UA has perked up the lounge a bit. A small but always friendly and helpful lounge for me, so glad to see it get some love.

Bigant0408

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:51 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

That is nice. I just saw Houston airports are using the same tool now as well. THey must be making a play for all the airports and in growth mode. As a visual person I really like the route maps. Happy for PHL. And was happy to see, on my trip through the airport last week that UA has perked up the lounge a bit. A small but always friendly and helpful lounge for me, so glad to see it get some love.

Yea I've never heard of this before but I like it alot for sure. Oh nice I haven't seen the UA lounge yet. I'm hoping to get a tour of it at some point this year.

Bigant0408

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:54 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

It's a pretty cool tool. I'm glad that Philadelphia has quite a few things to do despite the bad rep it gets.
It's a good visualization that Philly is missing a few markets to the middle of the country and West coast as well.

No luck. Honestly I've been stalking Connect Airlines and Eastern hoping to hear exciting news soon lol. Route wise this is all I can look forward to at the moment. Connect staff just keeps repeating the same verbiage of about waiting for regulatory approval and I still see them doing proving runs including today 1/31/2023.

I am excited about the new things happening at the airport though

PHLspecial

Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:42 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

No luck. Honestly I've been stalking Connect Airlines and Eastern hoping to hear exciting news soon lol. Route wise this is all I can look forward to at the moment. Connect staff just keeps repeating the same verbiage of about waiting for regulatory approval and I still see them doing proving runs including today 1/31/2023.

I am excited about the new things happening at the airport though

I know this is not sexy but I am curious to see how the cargo the development will go. Probably still 2-4 years away from seeing a new carrier for both cargo and passenger (besides Connect and Eastern)

Bigant0408

Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:57 pm

So looks like Lufthansa will be handing over their route to Eurowings Discover on a year-round basis now

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230202-lhns23

On one hand for me it's a little disappointing we wont see LH aircraft anymore or anytime soon plus with all the US routes they fly and with how long they have been flying to the city over 50 years to see it not return sucks but times have change for the PHL market for them I'd assume. Good thing out of this is that FRA service still continues instead of being axed.

PHLspecial

Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:31 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
So looks like Lufthansa will be handing over their route to Eurowings Discover on a year-round basis now

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230202-lhns23

On one hand for me it's a little disappointing we wont see LH aircraft anymore or anytime soon plus with all the US routes they fly and with how long they have been flying to the city over 50 years to see it not return sucks but times have change for the PHL market for them I'd assume. Good thing out of this is that FRA service still continues instead of being axed.

I guess both SAP and cargo was too good to give up on this route but not enough to make it mainline. Hopefully that means the fares would be a bit cheaper since its not LH. We can hope for a better market in the future

PHLspecial

Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:07 pm

phllax wrote:
Ericresnick wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
GO BIRDS

Delta is over $2K one way. Outbound is a 800, return is a 757 and a 800.

United is running a Max 9 and 753 outbound with a 753 back on Monday and a Max 9 on Tuesday with a lowest of $1,278 r/t

WN is running 700's and only offering Anytime and Business Select with a $1,574 lowest r/t.

I was just browsing for fun. AA is mostly sold out of seats, both nonstops DL($2400r/t) and UA($2200 r/t) still have a lot of seats available for those you can even stomach those prices

GuillaumePhilly

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:02 am

3D101CA wrote:
It would be interesting to see AY and IB at PHL. They are both flying to DFW (which is a oneworld hub of AA), the addition of PHL would be neat.

IB is part of the metal neutral JV. IE only became part of the "team" after they had started service (plus with the large O&D) to DUB from PHL putting an A321XL on the route is really probably about right-sizing capacity during the busy summer months. Honestly I was surprised they decided to bring service back post-pandemic, which can only speak to the yields the route must see. With that all that said MAD is a very different animal. I'd be very surprised to see IB start service on their own metal. There just isn't the traffic between PHL and MAD, even with the connection opportunities on both ends. AA can upgage the route before any additional metal is required. And any capacity IB would put on the route would just be over-capacity. So while it would be nice to see some new tails at PHL, remember IB doesn't have to serve PHL on its own in a metal-neutral JV. I can't remember if AY is also immunized or not on the JV or is it just AA & IAG.

Bigant0408

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:37 am

GuillaumePhilly wrote:
3D101CA wrote:
It would be interesting to see AY and IB at PHL. They are both flying to DFW (which is a oneworld hub of AA), the addition of PHL would be neat.

IB is part of the metal neutral JV. IE only became part of the "team" after they had started service (plus with the large O&D) to DUB from PHL putting an A321XL on the route is really probably about right-sizing capacity during the busy summer months. Honestly I was surprised they decided to bring service back post-pandemic, which can only speak to the yields the route must see. With that all that said MAD is a very different animal. I'd be very surprised to see IB start service on their own metal. There just isn't the traffic between PHL and MAD, even with the connection opportunities on both ends. AA can upgage the route before any additional metal is required. And any capacity IB would put on the route would just be over-capacity. So while it would be nice to see some new tails at PHL, remember IB doesn't have to serve PHL on its own in a metal-neutral JV. I can't remember if AY is also immunized or not on the JV or is it just AA & IAG.

For me I was thinking IB could start service on there 321XLR once they start receiving them. Good point in regards to MAD being a different animal and not a heavy O&D market for PHL vs Aer Lingus with DUB.

880dc8707

Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:00 am

IB could add not in addition to AA but instead of. AA can certainly use the metal elsewhere, I don't know if IB has extra to add PHL

PHLspecial

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:35 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
GuillaumePhilly wrote:
3D101CA wrote:

For me I was thinking IB could start service on there 321XLR once they start receiving them. Good point in regards to MAD being a different animal and not a heavy O&D market for PHL vs Aer Lingus with DUB.

I'm disappointed that Philadelphia and Madrid don't have better business connections. That would certainly justify an aircraft from IB or even more cargo.
Also the fares are expansive from PHL versus you taking the bus out of ACY, ABE or LNS for a cheaper fare

aerace

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:15 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
GuillaumePhilly wrote:

I'm disappointed that Philadelphia and Madrid don't have better business connections. That would certainly justify an aircraft from IB or even more cargo.

This was some time ago but I do remember that IB was considering a link from PHL to MAD. https://www.preferente.com/noticias-de-transportes/noticias-de-aerolineas/iberia-medita-reabrir-toronto-y-montreal-y-lanzar-filadelfia-246559.html

BENFRANKLIN

Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:42 pm

As for new foreign metal at PHL.. I’d be very very shocked unfortunately. I can’t think of one airline that might be able to swing it or atleast seasonal. Domestic front wise .. Contour & connect are the new ones.

Bigant0408

Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:58 am

BENFRANKLIN wrote:
As for new foreign metal at PHL.. I’d be very very shocked unfortunately. I can’t think of one airline that might be able to swing it or atleast seasonal. Domestic front wise .. Contour & connect are the new ones.

What's your thoughts on PLAY possibly starting service? I know they are looking to East coast markets overall and I know in passing Icelandair mentioned their route was performing well pre covid of course.

Ericresnick

Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:12 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
BENFRANKLIN wrote:

What's your thoughts on PLAY possibly starting service? I know they are looking to East coast markets overall and I know in passing Icelandair mentioned their route was performing well pre covid of course.

PHL needs a discount carrier, well one cheaper than Aer Lingus. Iceland in the summer would also be popular like it was pre Covid. Route would be well used if advertised but who knows if it would be profitable. Would lower fares on other routes. Personally, it reminds me of WOW and I would be reluctant, but a good addition anyhow. This could also be pre-emptive before Icelandic comes back.

crj900lr

Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:36 am

BENFRANKLIN wrote:

Contour is a disaster. They are constantly cancelling flights because their planes are broken. I'm surprised the government hasn't looked into it yet as I believe they are EAS routes. OGS has been cancelled just about every day for the last week and a half. If they are lucky there might have been a few flights that actually made it to OGS, I'll have to look. PBG is a little better, but it has a long way to go before it can be reliable and the AOO flights hardly have anyone on them. I would not be surprised if once these contracts are up, unless something happens where Contour gets their act together, they lose these routes.

PHLspecial

Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:37 am

Ericresnick wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
BENFRANKLIN wrote:

PHL needs a discount carrier, well one cheaper than Aer Lingus. Iceland in the summer would also be popular like it was pre Covid. Route would be well used if advertised but who knows if it would be profitable. Would lower fares on other routes. Personally, it reminds me of WOW and I would be reluctant, but a good addition anyhow. This could also be pre-emptive before Icelandic comes back.

I could see Icelandair coming back when they get more Max 8 planes or even the A321XLR planes. Also could move the flight from BWI to PHL. Play is just too small right now to expand maybe in a few years time.
I don't think it would be that difficult for those two carriers to have lower fares than AA. AA is focused on connections to fill those TATL planes not O&D so therefore not really competing with AA imo.

PHLspecial

Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:29 am

Anyone have Eastern Airline destination predictions?
PHL-SDQ, PHL-MIA
I thought about this PHL-PVG since Eastern airlines put in an application for JFK-PVG but considering we are very low on the list this is not happening anytime soon.

It's strange that the hiring event for Eastern airlines requirements doesn't ask for languages spoken.

Bigant0408

Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:32 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Anyone have Eastern Airline destination predictions?
PHL-SDQ, PHL-MIA
I thought about this PHL-PVG since Eastern airlines put in an application for JFK-PVG but considering we are very low on the list this is not happening anytime soon.

It's strange that the hiring event for Eastern airlines requirements doesn't ask for languages spoken.

I would say definitely MIA. Otherwise hard to predict. I know they were high on flying routes with little to no competition but not sure if there thought process has changed especially since they are flying MIA to SDQ currently which has a lot of competition. If they want to restart the routes they initial planned 3 years ago then it would be MIA, SDQ, MEX and PAP

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos