Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2023

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:17 pm

Air India, Indigo and Vistara are currently in discussions with WA government about direct Perth to India services

https://www.newindianexpress.com/busine ... 58230.html

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:29 pm

Qantas had an industry update a couple of days ago

With NS23 from Sunday some changes are coming online

From Monday SYD-MEL-BNE triangle services will increase by 57 services a week
Trans con SYD/MEL to PER will see A330's operate around 50% of all flights
JQ expected to grow an additional 15% over the next 6 months with 4 A321LR's coming online
JQ's MEL-BQB will see services increased to 4 weekly over the easter holidays
Group capacity expected at 102% in April quarter, up from 98% this quarter
Several international service changes from Sunday 26/3
QF MEL-HND restarting
QF MEL-SIN increased from daily to 10 weekly
QF BNE-SIN increased from 6 weekly to daily
A388 on some SYD-HKG services till June when MEL-HKG resumes
JQ to launch new BNE-AKL service
QF to start MEL-CGK from 16 April

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... or-easter/

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:41 am

Yesterday also marked 5 years sinch the launch of PER-LHR flights

waoz1

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:54 am

[code][/code]
qf789 wrote:
Air India, Indigo and Vistara are currently in discussions with WA government about direct Perth to India services

Where did Air India fly to from Perth back in the day? Did they use to do Bombay?
Im talking 80s/90s

I know BA used to fly Perth to Bombay daily.

ben175

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:10 am

qf789 wrote:

Which of these airlines is receiving the 321XLR, and when? PER-BOM/DEL would be perfect candidates for this type.

Also could be interesting to see QF try PER-BOM. That way, they have direct links from Australia to DEL, BLR and BOM.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:22 am

ben175 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Which of these airlines is receiving the 321XLR, and when? PER-BOM/DEL would be perfect candidates for this type.

Also could be interesting to see QF try PER-BOM. That way, they have direct links from Australia to DEL, BLR and BOM.

Indigo is taking its first A321XLR in late 2024, Vistara has 1 A321LR with more coming and AI is just taking regular A321neo's

I would think the best point in India would be BLR from PER, that way it could be used as connection point for the rest of India

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:55 am

Jetstar A321neoLR VH-OFV was spotted at XFW on Monday (20 Mar) now in JQ full livery

ImageA321nx Jetstar Airways VH-OFV by Tobias Gudat, on Flickr

redroo

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:02 am

qf789 wrote:

Wow. Where did 5 years go. I remember all the prep for the flight launch. Wow.

NTLDaz

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:25 am

redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Crazy to think that for a fair portion of that 5 years it didn't run. What a wild couple of years we had.

redroo

Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:45 am

NTLDaz wrote:
redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Crazy to think that for a fair portion of that 5 years it didn't run. What a wild couple of years we had.

Indeed. It’s all a blur now. Pleased the QF9 has been a success though and the doubters have been proved wrong. Roll on non stops from all the capital cities.

ClassicLover

Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:02 am

qf789 wrote:

... and remember all the people saying it would never be popular, would be a disaster, nobody would use it, who would want to fly for that long.

:)

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:01 am

Jetstar has taken delivery of A321LR #6, VH-OFU currently on its first leg XFW-BLR as JQ8996

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-ofu

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:03 am

ClassicLover wrote:
qf789 wrote:

... and remember all the people saying it would never be popular, would be a disaster, nobody would use it, who would want to fly for that long.

Yes I know, speaking of QF9 MEL-PER flights look like they are back to daily, though tomorrow's MEL-PER is operated by A330

In other PER news today is the last flight for QF'S PER-JNB flight

melpax

Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:47 am

NTLDaz wrote:
redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

And for a fair bit of that time, Darwin took the place of Perth.

RyanairGuru

Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:54 am

melpax wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
redroo wrote:

Unless you are counting the DFAT charter flights which cleared hotel quarantine in Darwin, LHR only operated via DRW for about 6 months.

sand26391

Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:52 pm

ben175 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Last I heard was that Air India and an airport operator (pvt) are in aggressive talks to setup a hub, down south (of India). So I feel, it's very likely that either HYD kr BLR will be the candidates. Could it be MAA? As BLR already has a non stop SYD flight by QF.

Gangurru

Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:54 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
melpax wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

Unless you are counting the DFAT charter flights which cleared hotel quarantine in Darwin, LHR only operated via DRW for about 6 months.

QFs RPT London flights through Darwin operated from November 2021 to June 2022.

I'm a Territorian. I'm missing the sight of the slow blink of the 787 wing tip lights at night, or the beautiful colours of Emily glowing as one of our sunsets washed the sky with colour.

Also, that time made me proud to be a Territorian. While other states were arguing cuts in quarantine, our 1% of the population got on and hosted up to 25% of repatriations without a single COVID leak from Howard Springs.

Throughout history, Qantas and other airlines have been there for Darwin when we've been flattened by war or Cyclone. It was an honour to be there for Qantas when it was flattened.

redroo

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:30 am

qf789 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Yes I know, speaking of QF9 MEL-PER flights look like they are back to daily, though tomorrow's MEL-PER is operated by A330

I am on todays QF9 A330 and it has got me wondering … if the flight isn’t a single plane service through from Melbourne then why bother departing from international at Melbourne? They could just put the QF9 number on a domestic flight or shock, horror, make it ex Perth ;-)

PS I am only on the QF9 because everything else was full !!!

JJWess

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:49 am

redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

I am on todays QF9 A330 and it has got me wondering … if the flight isn’t a single plane service through from Melbourne then why bother departing from international at Melbourne? They could just put the QF9 number on a domestic flight or shock, horror, make it ex Perth ;-)

I’d imagine once sunrise starts, and once MEL gets a direct MEL-LHR link, then QF9 will just move to being ex-PER

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:51 am

redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

Pax travelling MEL-LHR need to check in and it wouldn’t be an international flight if it leaves from. Domestic would it, also would have to change terminal at PER which could cause delays.

9MMPD

Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:12 am

waoz1 wrote:
[code][/code]
qf789 wrote:

Where did Air India fly to from Perth back in the day? Did they use to do Bombay?
Im talking 80s/90s

I know BA used to fly Perth to Bombay daily.

AI last attempted BOM-PER in 1995 using A310s via SIN. The serviced was short lived and constantly delayed

NTLDaz

Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:58 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Pax travelling MEL-LHR need to check in and it wouldn’t be an international flight if it leaves from. Domestic would it, also would have to change terminal at PER which could cause delays.

You wouldn't have to change terminals in Perth because it's all out of the QF terminal. However, if it didn't leave from the International Terminal in Melbourne every through passenger would need to go through immigration and security in Perth which would be silly

qf2220

Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:50 am

JJWess wrote:
redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I’d imagine once sunrise starts, and once MEL gets a direct MEL-LHR link, then QF9 will just move to being ex-PER

Im betting QF9/10 will be used for the Sunrise flights ex MEL and PER-LHR will get new numbers. Same with QF3/4 via AKL, once Sunrise starts, 3/4 will revert to SYD-JFK and AKL-JFK will get new numbers.

kriskim

Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:16 am

qf2220 wrote:
JJWess wrote:
redroo wrote:

Im betting QF9/10 will be used for the Sunrise flights ex MEL and PER-LHR will get new numbers. Same with QF3/4 via AKL, once Sunrise starts, 3/4 will revert to SYD-JFK and AKL-JFK will get new numbers.

Yea I agree, QF9/10 has always been MEL-LHR numbers, even though the transit stops have changed from SIN, DXB then finally PER, it’s still MEL’s flight at the end of the day and PER-LHR will be considered a ‘new’ flight with new numbers.

TN486T

Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:07 am

Gangurru wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
melpax wrote:

QFs RPT London flights through Darwin operated from November 2021 to June 2022.

I'm a Territorian. I'm missing the sight of the slow blink of the 787 wing tip lights at night, or the beautiful colours of Emily glowing as one of our sunsets washed the sky with colour.

Also, that time made me proud to be a Territorian. While other states were arguing cuts in quarantine, our 1% of the population got on and hosted up to 25% of repatriations without a single COVID leak from Howard Springs.

Throughout history, Qantas and other airlines have been there for Darwin when we've been flattened by war or Cyclone. It was an honour to be there for Qantas when it was flattened.

Yes Gangurru, your passion reflects my thoughts re QF as well, there's a lot of us that have many good memories, and very precious at that.

TN486T

Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:11 am

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me the operational readiness or otherwise of all the A330's of different marques that are, and have, served QF.. Cheers

RyanairGuru

Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:20 am

kriskim wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
JJWess wrote:

Yea I agree, QF9/10 has always been MEL-LHR numbers, even though the transit stops have changed from SIN, DXB then finally PER, it’s still MEL’s flight at the end of the day and PER-LHR will be considered a ‘new’ flight with new numbers.

Qantas circa 2023 isn’t sentimental about flight numbers. If anything, I think it’s more likely that MEL-LHR takes QF5/6 than swap to QF9/10 just because it’s ‘always been theirs’.

On the subject of flight numbers, I was surprised to see that BNE-LAX has reverted to QF15/16 with the change of IATA season.

csturdiv

Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:27 am

qf2220 wrote:
JJWess wrote:
redroo wrote:

Wasn't QF3/4, at least 7ish years or so ago, numbers for SYD-HNL-SYD?

qf2220

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:02 pm

Yeah it's 103/104 now. Was changed recently

csturdiv

Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 pm

qf2220 wrote:

Yeah it's 103/104 now. Was changed recently

Good to know I wasn't imagining things, I knew I had been on both QF3/4 and JQ3/4 SYD-HNL-SYD.

a7ala

Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:13 pm

Just on the MEL-PER-LHR flights - I presume the only pax carried on the MEL<>PER sectors are the ones travelling MEL<>LHR or I guess connecting on to other international flights at PER? So no local domestic MEL-PER pax? If so it must be quite an expensive flight to operate given I presume most of the pax on PER-LHR will be from PER?

I wonder if its better for the flight to be fed from across the Tasman like AKL so that it can be filled with local traffic as well as connecting to LHR? Particularly when project sunrise MEL-LHR starts.

tullamarine

Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:17 pm

a7ala wrote:
Just on the MEL-PER-LHR flights - I presume the only pax carried on the MEL<>PER sectors are the ones travelling MEL<>LHR or I guess connecting on to other international flights at PER? So no local domestic MEL-PER pax? If so it must be quite an expensive flight to operate given I presume most of the pax on PER-LHR will be from PER?

I wonder if its better for the flight to be fed from across the Tasman like AKL so that it can be filled with local traffic as well as connecting to LHR? Particularly when project sunrise MEL-LHR starts.

No, you can fly QF9/10 as a purely domestic sector but obviously have to go through international level security screening and check in earlier than is normal for domestic flights. Pax on QF10 just during PER-MEL do not get access to the International Business Lounge in PER regardless of status or class flown.

Kent350787

Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:31 pm

TN486T wrote:
I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me the operational readiness or otherwise of all the A330's of different marques that are, and have, served QF.. Cheers

My understanding is that VH-EBD is the only A330 that hasn't returned to service. EBE and EBF are being converted to freighters (here's EBE being cut https://www.instagram.com/p/CqIVpnsIKLd/ ), while EBH and EBI were converted to MRRT for the RAAF in 2017 and 2019.

a7ala

Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:38 pm

tullamarine wrote:
a7ala wrote:

No, you can fly QF9/10 as a purely domestic sector but obviously have to go through international level security screening and check in earlier than is normal for domestic flights. Pax on QF10 just during PER-MEL do not get access to the International Business Lounge in PER regardless of status or class flown.

Ahh.. didnt realise that. Presumably no duty free as well :)

tullamarine

Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:14 pm

a7ala wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
a7ala wrote:

Ahh.. didnt realise that. Presumably no duty free as well :)

Correct, that is why duty free staff ask for your boarding pass when you buy something. If you've got a big "D" on your pass, you will be told you are unable to purchase anything.

tullamarine

Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:20 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
TN486T wrote:

My understanding is that VH-EBD is the only A330 that hasn't returned to service. EBE and EBF are being converted to freighters (here's EBE being cut https://www.instagram.com/p/CqIVpnsIKLd/ ), while EBH and EBI were converted to MRRT for the RAAF in 2017 and 2019.

Does anyone know if the Business Suites from EBE were removed prior to it going for conversion and whether these are held in SYD for swaps etc as needed? As the Y seats had never been upgraded for IFE, I assume these were written off.

EK413

Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:58 pm

tullamarine wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
TN486T wrote:

Does anyone know if the Business Suites from EBE were removed prior to it going for conversion and whether these are held in SYD for swaps etc as needed? As the Y seats had never been upgraded for IFE, I assume these were written off.

Was auctioned off

https://simpleflying.com/qantas-airbus- ... onversion/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tullamarine

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:23 am

EK413 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Was auctioned off

I flew on EBE on one of her last services on 6/2 so I question if these items in an article published on 13/2 were actually from that plane. Simple Flying is notoriously inaccurate. Given the article talks about auctioning A380 W seats, I wonder if the J seats auctioned (only 2) were actually business suites from the A330 or the older Skybed 2's also taken from an A380.

EK413

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:26 am

tullamarine wrote:
EK413 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Was auctioned off

I flew on EBE on one of her last services on 6/2 so I question if these items in an article published on 13/2 were actually from that plane. Simple Flying is notoriously inaccurate. Given the article talks about auctioning A380 W seats, I wonder if the J seats auctioned (only 2) were actually business suites from the A330 or the older Skybed 2's also taken from an A380.

Inadequate indeed, they even mention QF have supposably ordered A330NEOS!

angusjt

Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:31 am

a7ala wrote:

I fly between Perth & Sydney half a dozen times a year, last year QF5 (the SYD-PER leg of SYD-PER-FCO) would often come up as an option I had the freedom to book, but it was far from the cheapest option and not worth the hassle going through international security for.

Hut

Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:46 am

tullamarine wrote:
a7ala wrote:

I've taken QF10 a few times from Perth to Melbourne either as a domestic passenger or connecting internationally in Melbourne (although they still make you travel ex Perth as a domestic passenger...) and never had any issues with lounge access to the one with the very long name -> The Qantas Perth International Transit Lounge!

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:55 am

Qantas cabin crew have agreed to new working terms with Qantas after a deal has been made, averting threatened strikes

Qantas wanted working hours increased from 9.45 hours to 12 hours per shift. The agreed new amount is 10 hours. Rest hours will also be maintained

https://australianaviation.com.au/2023/ ... tid=uc01c0

EK413

Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:01 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas cabin crew have agreed to new working terms with Qantas after a deal has been made, averting threatened strikes

Qantas wanted working hours increased from 9.45 hours to 12 hours per shift. The agreed new amount is 10 hours. Rest hours will also be maintained

An extra 15 mins in aviation terms will make or break a flight going ahead…

waoz1

Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:45 am

WA government has a little bit to say about Qantas not agreeing to move to consolidated terminal.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/102149558

cx777fan

Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:46 am

qf789 wrote:

Good to see management being pragmatic and not getting already disaffected frontline staff further offside. And good that the union made that small concession.

Crews on my regular flights post-pandemic flights have mostly been the epitome of cheerful professionalism, but scratch below the surface a tad and feelings towards Joyce and the C-suite are very evident. A dud EBA might have really been the last straw...

Sydscott

Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:30 am

waoz1 wrote:
WA government has a little bit to say about Qantas not agreeing to move to consolidated terminal.

The article is a smidge misleading. PER now owns the terminal building that QF resides in despite a dispute over the price. What PER should do is get on with building the terminal, not expand or invest into T4 and force QF to move across to Airport central at the end of their lease term. Yes it will be a nuisance and yes QF will complain but just get on and do it. Once it's done QF won't have a choice but to move and PER can bulldoze that part of the airport.

tsurumaru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:42 am

VA have loaded their first domestic MAX 8 routes.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230327-va7m8

Any idea on the product / livery these planes will feature?

smi0006

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:16 pm

Sydscott wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

The article is a smidge misleading. PER now owns the terminal building that QF resides in despite a dispute over the price. What PER should do is get on with building the terminal, not expand or invest into T4 and force QF to move across to Airport central at the end of their lease term. Yes it will be a nuisance and yes QF will complain but just get on and do it. Once it's done QF won't have a choice but to move and PER can bulldoze that part of the airport.

Unfortunately airport pricing doesn’t work that way - airlines pay for the capex…. So QF will need to start paying for a terminal under construction…. I suspect they are using PER to flag the challenges of a lack of airport regulation in Australia.

kriskim

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:18 pm

tsurumaru wrote:

Not much different to the current 737-800 fleet!

SCFlyer

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:24 pm

tsurumaru wrote:

I'd guess VA would probably install the J recliners and Y seats currently trialled on two of the ex-SilkAir/SQ 738 units onto the 737-8 MAX fleet.

https://flighthacks.com.au/virgin-austr ... and-seats/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos