OA260 wrote:
Watch: Impromptu trad gig breaks out on Aer Lingus flight to New York

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video- ... 07639.html

A bit of alternative IFE onboard

I saw this on Twitter. Genuinely I’d have hidden in the toilet for the flight

HTCone

Re: Irish 3/23: The March of time

Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:06 pm

Same. I’d rather be sat between a screaming baby and morbidly obese person than have that going on around me.

DublinPaul

Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:25 pm

Agreed, yet another reason to avoid IAG.

EIBoston

Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:48 pm

EI-FNG went tech in BOS last night. Not a great night for it to happen with lots of inbound St Patricks Day tourists no doubt scheduled to travel. I was on EI134 on the next ramp and saw the airbridge come back out to the plane, so figured something was up.

shamrock321

Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:54 pm

The video of the trad session was on the ground after landing…people need to calm down over it…

VanBosch

Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:40 pm

Will the potential growth at MAN be point to point? Or could you see it becoming a Mini hub with EI Regional feeding it?

shamrock350

Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:35 pm

VanBosch wrote:
Will the potential growth at MAN be point to point? Or could you see it becoming a Mini hub with EI Regional feeding it?

Almost certainly point to point, another winter sun destination and BOS, ORD seem the most likely going forward depending on aircraft availability. I know they market BGI from DUB and BHD but this is out of convenience rather than a major driver of the base overall.

The current set up at MAN doesn’t favour a hub, outside the fact it could cannibalise the DUB operation, the short haul flights by Aer Lingus and Emerald are in a different terminal to the Aer Lingus UK ops.

TUGMASTER

Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:03 pm

That trad session was quality.
That’s what Irelands all about, trad sessions in pubs with locked doors….

Eitilt

Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:13 pm

Aer Lingus are increasing their frequency from Manchester to accommodate the huge amount of connections from Manchester to the USA via Dublin.
Connections from Dub to Manchester are welcome and doable with the first flight from Dublin to Manchester arriving at 0730 and the Barbados departing at 1100 with a 10 minute walk between Terminals 1 and 2.
Barbados ends on 30th April for a daily Orlando so the Manchester operation seems to be driven by a catchment area of over 20 million people and a lack of interest by US carriers and a waneing Virgin operation.

BDKLEZ

Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:39 pm

According FR24 looks like G-EILA destination MAN took a swift turn inland towards NOC after departure over Irish Sea. Been at constant 20,000ft for 20mins and now heading east again between Dublin and Drogheda still at 20,000ft so doesn't look like he's heading back to DUB. Any ideas why this might be the case?

LH982

Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:22 pm

BDKLEZ wrote:
According FR24 looks like G-EILA destination MAN took a swift turn inland towards NOC after departure over Irish Sea. Been at constant 20,000ft for 20mins and now heading east again between Dublin and Drogheda still at 20,000ft so doesn't look like he's heading back to DUB. Any ideas why this might be the case?

Very standard test flight after maintenance. If all okay you head home, if something's wrong you head back to Dublin. Quite common for aircraft, after maintenance in Dublin or Shannon.

nickya340

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:09 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
EIDL wrote:
They'd have been rightly screwed since Feb 2022 with no support/parts available due to sanctions; I expect.

I think the SSJ screwed CityJet long before that. The initial 15 aircraft order should have covered all of their fleet needs for the coming decades. Reliability, lack of spares and maintenance support and never getting certification for LCY were all issues. I suspect the failure of the SSJ pushed WX into the franchise/wet-lease with EI, perhaps so they could re-fleet. This approach worked for Stobart, so maybe that was the hope for cityJet?
Im sure you could argue that the SSJ order of itself was a sign of their financial weakness. The E170/E90 was already certified, in operation around the world and already operated by their biggest competitor at LCY. Once the SSJ gamble failed, the future of WX branded operations was sealed.

nickya340 wrote:
Because of the A332s fuselage length I’d say the new livery will be slightly less bare-looking than the -300. A bit like the A320 vs A321LR new livery. I’m sure the 332s will stay in the old livery for the summer season though.

Maybe it will look OK. I still think the titles are too small on the livery, they are barely legible from a distance. Lufthansa have similar placing and sizing of the titles, but the bold Ariel-type font stands out more. Its a shame as the overall livery is quite pleasing to the eye in person. The tail, winglet and engine colours are eye-catching.

Speaking of engines. EI-NSA appears to have had an engine change and is flying around with the No2 engine cowling painted white. Maybe white engines were a better idea for EI?
I don’t think I’ve ever seen an FR engine cowling that doesn’t match the livery? Even EI-DCL, the Dreamliner 737 manages to look consistent. It does have a white nose randome for a long time.

Just saw recently that EI-DCL had been repainted into standard livery. Shame

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/1089139 ... ce=iOS+App

nickya340

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:13 pm

It’s a growing trend to at Ryanair to keep planes for longer now I see. ‘DCL is 18 and presumably they plan to keep it for a while longer hence the repaint. It also shows that the new max 8-200s are generally for expansion and not replacements.

planemanofnz

Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:09 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
... MAN ... could cannibalise the DUB operation

Then maybe they could structure it so DUB and MAN better complement each other? DUB could cover the Americas, while MAN could cover everything east? Lots of opportunities - e.g. MAN-BKK was the #1 unserved Europe-Thailand route, and many Irish visit Thailand too. Meanwhile, TG is a basket case and unlikely to compete.

https://www.anna.aero/2017/01/24/europe ... nd-trends/

EI710

Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:31 pm

I think there is a market for direct flights to the big ticket destinations from MAN without cannibalising DUB such as JFK, MCO, ORD, BOS etc. Building the brand can only help getting transfer traffic to DUB for other destinations.

And if EI wasn’t running these services out of MAN, someone else might have stepped in to run them.

PhilipBass

Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:07 pm

nickya340 wrote:
It’s a growing trend to at Ryanair to keep planes for longer now I see. ‘DCL is 18 and presumably they plan to keep it for a while longer hence the repaint. It also shows that the new max 8-200s are generally for expansion and not replacements.

The 737-800 is a fabulous plane. With an average 8 sectors per day and average sector length of 1200km those planes are immense workhorses for Ryanair.
All that pressurization/depressurization and take-off/landing and Ryanair have great fleet availability even allowing for the recent pickle fork issues.

https://airserviceone.com/sector-length ... kilometres.

OA260

Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:52 am

daa rejects any claims that it is in breach of planning permission granted in respect of the North Runway

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... rth-runway

Statement from the daa regarding new runway

Eirules

Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:28 pm

It appears the start date of the El Al flights from TLV has been brought forward. It was originally due to launch 26th March but the first flight was today!!! Great to see another airline in Dublin

Clydenairways

Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:09 pm

Eirules wrote:
It appears the start date of the El Al flights from TLV has been brought forward. It was originally due to launch 26th March but the first flight was today!!! Great to see another airline in Dublin

Looks like it’s gone via Milan on the way back.

OA260

Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:19 pm

daa wins planning battle over €5m contribution demand

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0 ... on-demand/

Good news for the daa today

planemanofnz

Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 pm

Eirules wrote:

Tense times in Israel - it'll be interesting to see if political instability there may impact on the desire of Irish to go there, and thus the sustainability of the route. We've seen before how such instability can affect services (like CX converting DUB-HKG to seasonal in mid-2019, around the time of protests there).

berari

Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:46 pm

thesupersaiyann wrote:
David_itl wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
However, perhaps they could switch MAN-IAH to DUB-IAH. IAH is the biggest US city without a DUB service. Meanwhile, SQ is already well established in MAN and has less of a need for a tag to support it there now.

What is your fixation on stopping MAN having an IAH route? When SQ wanted to change it's SIN-DME-IAH routing a few years ago, if what you say it so obvious, why didn't they announce that and keep MAN as a terminator service? There's absolutely no reason to think that the Irish Government would automatically allow SQ 5th freedom rights when they wouldn't even allow ET rights to DUB-MAN, As for the statement "less of a need", we know that they planned 5 weekly SIN-MAN-IAH for the summer is now a 3 weekly SIN-MAN-IAH and 2 weekly SIN-MAN. The MAN service is not in dire need of having a stop-off point By your reasoning, why don't you get SQ to alter it's SIN-FRA-JFK routing to SIN-DUB-JFK instead after all FRA is already established route and has less of a need for a tag to support it there now.

I'd hardly call it a fixation, he merely suggested it?
As above, DUB-MAN is fairly contested to say the least, and additionally I remember hearing that part of the reason Ethiopian was rejected on that route was due to their country's stance on the Russian invasion? I'm not entirely sure, though. If they permitted MAD-DUB in the past, I wonder why they rejected MAN-DUB otherwise.

Maybe ET's application for DUB-MAN is seen as a commercial threat more than anything. Remember how the Irish government pulled its rights to operate DUB-LAX in an effort to protect Aer Lingus? Or when Aer Lingus complained about ET's use of DUB in the wee hours of the morning as a fuel stop claiming airport congestion. Maybe it's something else like flexing muscles over an African airline that can.

thesupersaiyann

Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:28 am

berari wrote:
thesupersaiyann wrote:

Maybe ET's application for DUB-MAN is seen.....

Yeah that seems like it's probably the case, maybe even as a result of the effect DUB-MAD had.
Thankfully nothing ever came of that complaint, I guess the occasional congestion problem is worth it considering what DUB must get out of the stopovers. Ideally when those flights are on time they shouldn't really get in the way of the morning bank. Fairly hyperbolic of Aer Lingus.

I would love to see SQ open the routing as mentioned above, considering there's no DUB-IAH route. Considering the fact that Cathay were apparently quite successful operating DUB-HKG, there has to be a market for a direct far east flight. One can dream...

JAmie2k9

Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am

berari wrote:
thesupersaiyann wrote:
David_itl wrote:

What is your fixation on stopping MAN having an IAH route? When SQ wanted to change it's SIN-DME-IAH routing a few years ago, if what you say it so obvious, why didn't they announce that and keep MAN as a terminator service? There's absolutely no reason to think that the Irish Government would automatically allow SQ 5th freedom rights when they wouldn't even allow ET rights to DUB-MAN, As for the statement "less of a need", we know that they planned 5 weekly SIN-MAN-IAH for the summer is now a 3 weekly SIN-MAN-IAH and 2 weekly SIN-MAN. The MAN service is not in dire need of having a stop-off point By your reasoning, why don't you get SQ to alter it's SIN-FRA-JFK routing to SIN-DUB-JFK instead after all FRA is already established route and has less of a need for a tag to support it there now.

I'd hardly call it a fixation, he merely suggested it?
As above, DUB-MAN is fairly contested to say the least, and additionally I remember hearing that part of the reason Ethiopian was rejected on that route was due to their country's stance on the Russian invasion? I'm not entirely sure, though. If they permitted MAD-DUB in the past, I wonder why they rejected MAN-DUB otherwise.

Maybe ET's application for DUB-MAN is seen as a commercial threat more than anything. Remember how the Irish government pulled its rights to operate DUB-LAX in an effort to protect Aer Lingus? Or when Aer Lingus complained about ET's use of DUB in the wee hours of the morning as a fuel stop claiming airport congestion. Maybe it's something else like flexing muscles over an African airline that can.

I don't think the rights were withdrawn, it was commercial to cut the route.

OA260

Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:03 am

From 26/3 EY will begin operating the A350 on a regular basis to DUB . Great to see it .

berari

Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:28 pm

thesupersaiyann wrote:
berari wrote:
thesupersaiyann wrote:

Maybe ET's application for DUB-MAN is seen.....

Yeah that seems like it's probably the case, maybe even as a result of the effect DUB-MAD had.
Thankfully nothing ever came of that complaint, I guess the occasional congestion problem is worth it considering what DUB must get out of the stopovers. Ideally when those flights are on time they shouldn't really get in the way of the morning bank. Fairly hyperbolic of Aer Lingus.

I would love to see SQ open the routing as mentioned above, considering there's no DUB-IAH route. Considering the fact that Cathay were apparently quite successful operating DUB-HKG, there has to be a market for a direct far east flight. One can dream...

If DUB has a capacity issue with up to three flights using a remote stand for refueling, then there's an even bigger issue. And if Aer Lingus is threatened by a third world carrier that does not even plan to operate a consistent daily 5th freedom service, then there's also a problem. In fact, there was, for Ireland revoked ET's 5th freedom to LAX when Aer Lingus decided to start its own service.

LH982

Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:47 pm

berari wrote:
thesupersaiyann wrote:
berari wrote:

If DUB has a capacity issue with up to three flights using a remote stand for refueling, then there's an even bigger issue. And if Aer Lingus is threatened by a third world carrier that does not even plan to operate a consistent daily 5th freedom service, then there's also a problem. In fact, there was, for Ireland revoked ET's 5th freedom to LAX when Aer Lingus decided to start its own service.

Did they actually lodge a complaint about ET refueling, or is this just a good story?

OA260

Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:19 pm

Flew back LHR - BHD today with BA in Club Europe. Flights into DUB were super inflated . I know people either prefer EI or BA but I have to say BA were excellent with their inflight offering. Their afternoon tea is still great. Sadly the lounges at LHR are tired and dated but the food offering was pretty decent.

The ground product at BHD was let down a bit by Swissport baggage handlers who were on a go slow with bags taking ages and the Priority tagged bags being last.

berari

Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:24 pm

LH982 wrote:
berari wrote:
thesupersaiyann wrote:

Did they actually lodge a complaint about ET refueling, or is this just a good story?

Was on the record saying:

But Stephen Kavanagh told Aer Lingus investors that while he welcomes competition, he’s concerned that the airline is consuming airport resources without offering much in return.

“The real issue is the ramp space at Dublin Airport that it (Ethiopian) is consuming,” said the chief executive. The ramp, or apron, at an airport is the area where aircraft are parked and loaded and unloaded.

“We are working hard to build Dublin into an efficient hub, and ramp space and gate positions that are proximate for flowing customers conveniently to the facility are a scarce resource. That’s the headache that Ethiopian have currently given all of us base carriers at Dublin Airport,” he said. The chief executive of the Dublin Airport Authority, Kevin Toland, has dismissed Mr Kavanagh’s claims.

This when ET aircraft use remote stands for refueling during the wee hours of the morning when the CEO is not even up from his sleep to run his airline. Imagine how he felt when ET then opened a fifth freedom flight to LAX.

https://onemileatatime.com/aer-lingus-d ... resources/

planemanofnz

Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:34 pm

OA260 wrote:
Flew back LHR - BHD today with BA in Club Europe. Flights into DUB were super inflated . I know people either prefer EI or BA but I have to say BA were excellent with their inflight offering. Their afternoon tea is still great. Sadly the lounges at LHR are tired and dated but the food offering was pretty decent.

The ground product at BHD was let down a bit by Swissport baggage handlers who were on a go slow with bags taking ages and the Priority tagged bags being last.

Thanks for the pics. Looks great, particularly for such a short flight. If only EI were at that level too.

BangersAndMash

Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:36 am

Looks like Vueling is dropping Orly to Cork and Shannon. ORY-ORK not bookable after 11 June, ORY-SNN stops 14 June.

I know EI is due to resume ORK-CDG in September. Presumably this will be year round?

OA260

Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:20 am

planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Thanks for the pics. Looks great, particularly for such a short flight. If only EI were at that level too.

Welcome yes for such a short hop it was impressive and the crew exceptional. There was a trainee in the CE cabin and the service they provided was flawless. I have no doubt they
will climb up the ranks it has been a long time since I have seen that level of service delivery.

---

Seems like TUI is bringing in Avion Express Malta to fly some of their routes this year. DUB-ACE being just one.
Last edited by OA260 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

cc47

Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:25 am

BangersAndMash wrote:
Looks like Vueling is dropping Orly to Cork and Shannon. ORY-ORK not bookable after 11 June, ORY-SNN stops 14 June.

I know EI is due to resume ORK-CDG in September. Presumably this will be year round?

I'm not entirely sure whether it's back permanently, or just Rugby World Cup Charters. We live in hope!
They seem to be using the old EI822/823 flight number, instead of the EI2XXX which is usual for Charters, so that's promising.

nickya340

Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:58 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

I always thought the A321 was a bit big for those routes, especially since they ran simultaneously but unfortunately ORY is an A321 only base for Vueling. I wonder if FR would try SNN-BVA again, must be at least 10 yrs since that last ran.

IrishLessor

Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:52 pm

berari wrote:

As I recall ET and EI were operating DUB LAX simultaneously. I wasn't aware that ET's fifth freedoms were withdrawn. The word on the street that I heard was that ET had very poor demand for DUBLAX in Ireland and the US where most of their demand was they weren't well know and certainly for travel to Ireland. The stop was changes to Lome. The commentary at that time in the media and travel journals didn't mention any gov intervention in the change at that time ...

OA260

Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:01 pm

IrishLessor wrote:
berari wrote:

As I recall ET and EI were operating DUB LAX simultaneously. I wasn't aware that ET's fifth freedoms were withdrawn. The word on the street that I heard was that ET had very poor demand for DUBLAX in Ireland and the US where most of their demand was they weren't well know and certainly for travel to Ireland. The stop was changes to Lome. The commentary at that time in the media and travel journals didn't mention any gov intervention in the change at that time ...

From the time :

Ethiopian Airlines set to axe Dublin stopover on LA flight

Ticket sales from Dublin to US city have been halted, writes Fearghal O'Connor

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 41665.html

iRISH251

Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:27 pm

Ethiopian has ceased service to LAX in any case - I'm not sure when.

OA260

Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:54 pm

IIRC it was 12th December 2018.

IrishLessor

Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:56 am

OA260,
Thanks for the link. I was well aware that the route had stopped, I explained that they switched the stop to Lome. My point was that I didn't see anywhere that it was due to their 5th freedom being removed. The article doesn't point to that either, rather that it was a HQ decide and had been under re-evaluation. Be nice to see them coming back with a passenger service picking up in Dublin. They'll also add an Atlanta refuelling stop on that new route. That will be alongside the existing three westbound stopovers.

EI710

Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:17 am

nickya340 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

I always thought the A321 was a bit big for those routes, especially since they ran simultaneously but unfortunately ORY is an A321 only base for Vueling. I wonder if FR would try SNN-BVA again, must be at least 10 yrs since that last ran.

The presence of the AF service from ORK to CDG probably hampered the ORK service also and agreed an A321 was just too much capacity in the circumstances.

No doubt there will be a lot of noise about this loss in SNN. If EI really wanted to they have a spare LR that could squeeze in CDG even a couple mornings a week but probably back to the same issue of overcapacity along with costs of sending crews down. FR to BVA is probably a more feasible proposition.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:25 pm

EI710 wrote:
nickya340 wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

The presence of the AF service from ORK to CDG probably hampered the ORK service also and agreed an A321 was just too much capacity in the circumstances.

No doubt there will be a lot of noise about this loss in SNN. If EI really wanted to they have a spare LR that could squeeze in CDG even a couple mornings a week but probably back to the same issue of overcapacity along with costs of sending crews down. FR to BVA is probably a more feasible proposition.

Just a few weeks ago VY had a fairly sizable advertising campaign around Limerick (billboards, busses etc.) so the timing is a bit weird. I agree the A321 might have been a bit big of an aircraft for the route. It also launched it at a suboptimal time of year, September, when most people were done with summer holidays and the kids were back to school. I flew it twice and loads were quite poor (albeit this in the early days of it commencing).

EI320

Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:58 pm

Many airlines (EI, FR, AF, VY) have attempted SNN - Paris over the past 10-15 years and none have lasted. The demand just isn’t there in sufficient quantity.

While in this instance an A321 was clearly too much airplane, I have little confidence the route would have fared any better with an A320.

JAmie2k9

Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:37 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
EI710 wrote:
nickya340 wrote:

Just a few weeks ago VY had a fairly sizable advertising campaign around Limerick (billboards, busses etc.) so the timing is a bit weird. I agree the A321 might have been a bit big of an aircraft for the route. It also launched it at a suboptimal time of year, September, when most people were done with summer holidays and the kids were back to school. I flew it twice and loads were quite poor (albeit this in the early days of it commencing).

I think its safe to assume they got a lot of marketing support to start SNN at the time. When they added SNN it was a little odd and sudden. It makes no commercial sense to have a x2 weekly Cork and x2 weekly Shannon operating combined with a poor schedule in terms of operating days.

Ending mid June just in time for peak travel season.

AMP44

Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:11 pm

OA260 wrote:

We may have been on the same flight. The delay wasn't fun and caused me to miss the first half of the Ireland v England match, and the delayed priority bags didn't help.

BA service has been slowly improving post-covid, but the prices can get out of control at times, specially now that they have a monopoly on the BHD-LHR route.

Eagleboy

Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:54 pm

DublinPaul wrote:
Agreed, yet another reason to avoid IAG.

WTF has an impromptu trad session on the ground got to do with IAG

OA260

Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:10 am

Warning: Terrorist attack danger as security screening at Dublin Airport ‘not fit for purpose’
Issues ‘could lead to attack on par with Lockerbie’

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/n ... 94511.html

I wonder how much truth there is in this and if so how widespread is the issue.

OA260

Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:41 pm

Rumour that Aer Lingus are leasing a LGW slot to Sky Express for their LGW-ATH route.

tibsthefox

Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:35 pm

Looks like one of the ex QR A330s are on a couple of the YYZ routes at the end of the month judging by the Business Class seat maps on the site

EI710

Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:10 pm

Looks to be activity with EI-DAA in Nimes.

EI710

Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:31 pm

tibsthefox wrote:
Looks like one of the ex QR A330s are on a couple of the YYZ routes at the end of the month judging by the Business Class seat maps on the site

Seems to be a bit of everything on YYZ over the next while, 333’s QR333’s and 332’s are all scheduled

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos