Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VanBosch

Re: Irish 3/23: The March of time

Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

EI710 wrote:
Speaking of FR, what’s the deal with the fares from KIR-DUB…€95 seems to be the standard return fare now, fair enough the €20 fares arent sustainable but €95 isn’t going to help load factors. You’d have to wonder is it a prerequisite to pulling the route.

You mean, why has the fare gone up from €19.99 each way to €47.99 each way? You wrote it as though it went from €20.00 to €95.00, when really it went from €40.00 to €95.00.

Anyway, I don't think they give much of a hoot about load factors. Sure, they'd love full aircraft, but more importantly, as someone else mentioned, is the yield. If you're regularly getting 50 passengers and found they're all business people, they'll pay the extra and keep flying it, and the airline might as well try to make some more money.

I'm curious as to whether the PSO money makes this route profitable or not. Also, whether FR use it to rotate aircraft to and from Dublin in an easy manner from KIR.

The FR DUB-KIR-DUB service appears to have slowly become unattractive over time, since it started. At the start, the times were decent enough for getting up to Dublin before 10am and leaving DUB around 6pm, all at €20 each way. Now the times vary from day to day and are poorly timed for morning and evening departures. The price has also gone up to just under €50 each way. I think it’s only a matter of time before FR pull the route. It cannot be making a profit, even at €95 return. FR is always about the bottom line. They do not operate routes out of the goodness of their heart. They have an ulterior motive, no doubt. At the start I thought it was so that they could keep pilots current and aircraft “ticking over”, but now I think it is simply to keep EA at bay.

Through the majority of the routes life EI commuter had it until 2001. The RE took over the route as PSO until 2008. FR undercut them viciously in the tendering and operated the route from 2008 until 2011. Even with the PSO, FR couldn’t make the route work. They blamed everyone and anyone as they cut the services. EIR picked the route up in 2011 until their demise in 2021.

EIR and think RE charged fares around €41/44 each way under the PSO. The ATR 42/72 worked well. The 737 is too much. While FR’s pricing is not outlandish, as already stated, they won’t make a profit.

Are you not kind of contradicting yourself there by saying they only think of the bottom line and then by saying that they do it to keep EA at bay?

I would nuance it by saying they only operate with one motive profit. The exception being Ireland where they have shown plenty of seemingly unprofitable behaviour - e.g when Wizz or Easy came to Ireland.

PhilipBass

Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:19 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

EI710 wrote:
Speaking of FR, what’s the deal with the fares from KIR-DUB…€95 seems to be the standard return fare now, fair enough the €20 fares arent sustainable but €95 isn’t going to help load factors. You’d have to wonder is it a prerequisite to pulling the route.

You mean, why has the fare gone up from €19.99 each way to €47.99 each way? You wrote it as though it went from €20.00 to €95.00, when really it went from €40.00 to €95.00.

Anyway, I don't think they give much of a hoot about load factors. Sure, they'd love full aircraft, but more importantly, as someone else mentioned, is the yield. If you're regularly getting 50 passengers and found they're all business people, they'll pay the extra and keep flying it, and the airline might as well try to make some more money.

I'm curious as to whether the PSO money makes this route profitable or not. Also, whether FR use it to rotate aircraft to and from Dublin in an easy manner from KIR.

The FR DUB-KIR-DUB service appears to have slowly become unattractive over time, since it started. At the start, the times were decent enough for getting up to Dublin before 10am and leaving DUB around 6pm, all at €20 each way. Now the times vary from day to day and are poorly timed for morning and evening departures. The price has also gone up to just under €50 each way. I think it’s only a matter of time before FR pull the route. It cannot be making a profit, even at €95 return. FR is always about the bottom line. They do not operate routes out of the goodness of their heart. They have an ulterior motive, no doubt. At the start I thought it was so that they could keep pilots current and aircraft “ticking over”, but now I think it is simply to keep EA at bay.

Through the majority of the routes life EI commuter had it until 2001. The RE took over the route as PSO until 2008. FR undercut them viciously in the tendering and operated the route from 2008 until 2011. Even with the PSO, FR couldn’t make the route work. They blamed everyone and anyone as they cut the services. EIR picked the route up in 2011 until their demise in 2021.

EIR and think RE charged fares around €41/44 each way under the PSO. The ATR 42/72 worked well. The 737 is too much. While FR’s pricing is not outlandish, as already stated, they won’t make a profit.

Ryanair must resent it. Their fleet is constrained at the moment and this route is stealing a plane and staff from a potentially more profitable route where tourist boards or airports are willing to wave a wad of cash in their face. The train from Farranfore to Dublin Heuston takes 3h40mins best case with all the gambling that travelling Iarnród Éireann entails. It is faster to travel by car and will be faster still once the Adare bypass is built in 2026/27. Maybe they will stick it out for another 18 months leaving it not worth while for Aer Lingus to pick it up before the Adare bypass comes in.

EI710

Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:49 pm

While FR have often exhibited anti competitive practices operating loss making routes, I don’t buy that they are operating this particular route to keep Emerald out. Emerald has a hefty route portfolio at this stage and not operating KIR - DUB PSO is hardly a major impact on their business.

I recall FR were very critical of the PSO/Stobart set up and fares when they took it over and promised a lot so they are probably reluctant to do a u turn for now if it’s not viable. The change in fares and poor timetabling suggests it isn’t but we are only speculating. They won’t operate it long term if it isn’t and I am sure they could find many other profitable uses for the aircraft and crews.

planemanofnz

Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:07 am

OA260 wrote:
It appears Loganair plans to launch flights between Derry-London Heathrow from 30 April 2023.

https://twitter.com/seanm1997/status/

More good news if true

Link doesn't work anymore.

Where are they getting the LHR slots from for this?

A bit surprising. There are other cities which would probably have more premium traffic and demand for international connections through Heathrow than LDY?

Eirules

Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:33 am

planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:
It appears Loganair plans to launch flights between Derry-London Heathrow from 30 April 2023.

More good news if true

A bit surprising. There are other cities which would probably have more premium traffic and demand for international connections through Heathrow than LDY?

BA are leasing them a load of slots (30 pairs if I remember). I think Dundee is also get an LHR flight

OA260

Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:12 am

Man boards plane without a passport or boarding pass in breach at Dublin Airport

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/m ... 08624.html

Quite alarming and will probably lead to more scrutiny at security and procedures of boarding.

TUGMASTER

Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:32 am

Eirules wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:

More good news if true

BA are leasing them a load of slots (30 pairs if I remember). I think Dundee is also get an LHR flight

BA maybe finding it difficult to operate all their slots they own this summer..?
They already have 4 x AY 320’s wetleased. Although I’m led to believe that’s because of a shortage of Drivers rather than Cabin crew.

Thought the Dundee service was going to be LCY with an add on to Kirkwall a couple of days a week.

LH982

Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:46 am

iRISH251 wrote:
Also commenced today was a daytime eastbound transit by UPS routeing SDF(Louisville)-DUB-EMA with a Boeing 767F. This is in addition to the nightly SNN-DUB-CGN and vv service, also with a 767.

This showed up in the slot requests last autumn. It looks like a Monday to Friday operation with a triangular routing of SDF-DUB-EMA-SDF. The recent 75F service of CGN-EMA-DUB-EMA-CGN has been dropped at the same time.

EISPP

Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:15 am

planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:

More good news if true

A link with further details on the ACL site:

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploa ... upload.pdf

OA260

Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:14 pm

Thanks for the link .

---

Passenger arrivals up 1.1% in February on pre-pandemic 2020, CSO figures show

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0 ... emic-2020/

Arrivals up and Great Britain remained the most important departure country for overseas travel to Ireland. With all these new Regional routes that figure is set to grow .

VanBosch

Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:28 pm

OA260 wrote:
Man boards plane without a passport or boarding pass in breach at Dublin Airport

Quite alarming and will probably lead to more scrutiny at security and procedures of boarding.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see the big deal with this - he went through security and was screened. I agree it shouldn’t happen but what’s the risk compared to someone who buys a ticket and goes through security?

thesupersaiyann

Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:44 pm

According to the ACL slot report, Hainan looks to return to Dublin from Beijing for the summer season, once-weekly? I doubt slot acquisition is a done deal is it?
And unless my maths isn't great, it looks like Emerald looks to just do once daily DUB-LDY (Derry). Please correct me if I'm wrong :duck:

JAmie2k9

Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:10 pm

VanBosch wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see the big deal with this - he went through security and was screened. I agree it shouldn’t happen but what’s the risk compared to someone who buys a ticket and goes through security?

Like most stories not all as the initial article implied either.

Vicenza

Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:57 pm

EI710 wrote:
While FR have often exhibited anti competitive practices operating loss making routes,

Every airline in the world does, so nothing at all exclusive to FR.

PhilipBass

Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:52 pm

I'd guess he had a boarding pass for somewhere else near Birminham, stayed in the pub too long airside and then decided to barge on to this flight to get to his destination.

planemanofnz

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:05 pm

thesupersaiyann wrote:
According to the ACL slot report, Hainan looks to return to Dublin from Beijing for the summer season, once-weekly?

At 1x weekly, you've got to wonder - what's the point? They won't be able to get much premium pax or cargo contracts with such a low frequency.

Vicenza

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 pm

planemanofnz wrote:

I don't see it as surprising at all and, indeed, there are many city pairs where premium traffic is far from being an essential requirement. Equally, Loganair are not a premium-centric airline and, rather, fly passengers to destinations they want to go to. Unfortunately, too man 'legacy' carriers have forgotten that role. Whilst it remains to be seen of course, in the fullness of time, I wish them every success because it importantly gives the people of Londonderry and its environs, access to Heathrow, and to which they are as entitled as anyone else. Whilst the a,.net fallacy exists of course, Heathrow does not exist primarily to cater exclusively to those connecting to other international destinations.

OA260

Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:03 pm

€16.6m in funding announced for regional airports

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0 ... nvestment/

Some more good news for the Regional Airports

AmricanShamrok

Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:25 pm

OA260 wrote:

With the approval of NOC to receive CAT 3 security funding as part of this announcement, that means that all Irish commercial airports will have the new 3D scanners (eliminating the liquid restrictions) in the near future. Also I find it a bit odd that SNN continues to be designated a "regional" airport but if it means more funding for them, I'll keep my mouth shut!

JAmie2k9

Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:16 pm

The Sudanese national involved with the incident on Monday was back at the airport today causing more trouble. To be deported as part of his suspended sentence.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2023/033 ... t-airport/

OA260

Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:45 pm

Tried one of the new options on Bia today in Aerspace. Was actually not too bad .

They used to do a nice mango and feta cheese but it seems to be discontinued.

AMP44

Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:33 pm

OA260 wrote:

Waterford and Galway (or even Sligo) will ever get any support to restart commercial operations? Or that idea is long dead? I know Waterford is meant to have some runway work done but didn't see more about it.

HTCone

Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:16 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
thesupersaiyann wrote:
According to the ACL slot report, Hainan looks to return to Dublin from Beijing for the summer season, once-weekly?

At 1x weekly, you've got to wonder - what's the point? They won't be able to get much premium pax or cargo contracts with such a low frequency.

My guess would be catering for Chinese students in Irish universities.

PhilipBass

Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:36 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
The Sudanese national involved with the incident on Monday was back at the airport today causing more trouble. To be deported as part of his suspended sentence.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2023/033 ... t-airport/
. I am at least half right. Drink was involved.

planemanofnz

Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:41 pm

Neat to see a new service to Kerry.

French regional carrier Chalair Aviation in the third quarter of 2023 plans to add service to Ireland, where the airline offers service to Kerry. From 01JUL23 to 02SEP23, ATR72 aircraft will operate Brest – Quimper – Kerry routing on weekly basis.

CE2915 BES0800 – 0825UIP0845 – 0920KIR AT7 6
CE2916 KIR0955 – 1230UIP1305 – 1330BES AT7 6

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230330-cekir

I presume this will mainly be catering to French tourists to Ireland?

planemanofnz

Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:59 pm

Vicenza wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

I don't see it as surprising at all ...

Let's not forget that LDY-LON is not commercially viable - it is subsidised under a public service obligation (PSO). In this context, and the context of LHR being slot-restricted, where such slots go for a premium (meaning very few, if any, props and regional jets go there), I did find the move surprising.

The slots are being leased to LM from BA. Let's see how long that lease lasts. I imagine BA will need more slots again soon (China re-opening, etc).

planemanofnz

Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:04 pm

HiSky's first A321NEO-LR will operate its first ever scheduled service tomorrow (Friday, 31 March) from Bucharest to Dublin.

https://business-review.eu/business/air ... est-243574

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:22 pm

4/23 is now open for pre-boarding. Passports and boarding passes at the ready: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1482889

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos