Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

clickhappy
Topic Author

Best Vancouver Spotting Hotel?

Sun May 05, 2002 1:07 am

any ideas? I am going to be up there next weekend and wouldn't mind a view full of Asian long-range planes  Smile

kdonohue

RE: Best Vancouver Spotting Hotel?

Sun May 05, 2002 2:55 am

The best hotel is the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. It is attached to the terminal itself. We live in Vancouver, but one weekend my wife and I stayed there. It was great. Excellent views of the runway and airside operations. If you are facing north you will see the runway used for incoming aircraft, although it shuts down overnight. You will also look down at the ramps used for U.S. flights.

If you face south you will overlook the parking area, but beyond that you will have views of the runway used for departing aircraft. I'm not sure what is best. We stayed on the north side. It also depends on which way the aircraft are landing. If the weather is good and the winds are from the west (often in summer) you will see them land on the north runway, but if they are coming in the other you won't see them touch down and you might only see them turn off the runway.

It is a nice hotel. Unfortunately YVR doesn't have any great viewing areas within the terminal itself. The hotel's lounge is a great place for a drink and to watch planes.

There are other hotels not too far from the airport but I don't know what their spotting values are like.

My pick would be the Fairmont.

Cheers,

Ken

connector4you

Sun May 05, 2002 11:49 am

That's right Fairmont Vancouver Airport is the only one and has a superb apron and North runway view. All you need is a top level-North facing room and a great camera.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matej Sabol

The hotel is that taller building up and to the right, facing the airside.

Other than that the airport doesn't provide any observation deck so even if the Fairmont rates may be a little higher, it's worth spending the money.

Enjoy your stay with the best!

Allee

Sun May 05, 2002 1:01 pm

Yep, I agree with the comments above. Fairmont is the way to go. It's pricey but worth it. I also live in Vancouver, but my wife and I decided it would be a nice honeymoon present to stay there. I got a room facing the south side, which is definitely not as nice as staying on the north side (request "mountain view" and they'll put you on the north side). I found myself hanging in the lounge a lot!

Here's a view from the north side room:

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Rancourt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kazim Alikhan

I paid about $200 CAD for a room on the concierge (14th) floor, which includes your AIF and free buffet breakfast at [email protected] The other floors average about $150. Keep in mind those rates were for August. Check out Fairmont's website, they have good packages there.

al

clickhappy
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2002 3:31 am

thanks everyone for replying. I booked a room for Friday and Saturday nights, The "Fairmont Room" I will hopefully have some great pictures to share once I return.

Cheers.

andyhunt
Head Screener

Tue May 07, 2002 3:56 am

Yes great views, the B737-200 is facing north and the Cathay B747-400 is taken from the lobby lift window, facing south.

Enjoy

Andrew

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt

Full frame always beats post processing

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos