Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Spark
Topic Author

Multi-Airport Cities?

Fri May 10, 2002 2:55 pm

Recently this forum has discussed Montreal and Tokyo's main airports.
I wanted to list what cities (or metro areas) have multiple airports, and which has the most (serving major passenger traffic).
The three cities I can think of that have more than one MAJOR (really big and busy) airports is New York (JFK,EWR, LGA), London (LGW,LHR,STN), and Tokyo (HND, NRT). Los Angeles has four big airports (LAX,ONT,BUR,SNA), 5 if you count Long Beach (pretty wimpy little airport), but only LAX has big time International traffic (SNA has some East coast traffic).
San Francisco has three fairly big airports, with two having long haul flights (ok, 2 AA flights from SJC is pretty minimal).
Other cities with two airports are: Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Paris, Osaka (how many airports in the Kansai region?), Seoul, Washington.
BTW, I counted 5 airports with somebits of passenger traffic in LA, London (Lutton and LCY), and New York (White Plains and Islip).
Also, what regions have airports that somebody would choose to fly out of (Bay Area choose to fly from Sacramento, which is two hours away, as well as the three Bay Area airports. What other metro areas have similar choices?

N202PA

RE: Multi-Airport Cities?

Fri May 10, 2002 3:10 pm

I wanted to mention that here in Washington, we really have three commercial airports. Of course there is National and Dulles, but BWI is effectively a Washington airport too, since it was built midway between Washington and Baltimore, and has a pretty convenient rail link to downtown Washington on the weekdays. They've really built a nice little niche as Washington's low-fare airport, and whenever I need to travel, I always consider heading out to BWI to save some money (usually on Southwest).

chepos

Fri May 10, 2002 8:37 pm

You could consider Miami to have 2 major airports- MIA and FLL, to some people in Miami FLL is much more convenient than MIA . Miami also has Opa Locka but that is not a very busy airport compared to FLL and MIA, an alternative to the the other two South Florida airports is West Palm Beach.
Chepos

HlywdCatft

Fri May 10, 2002 11:59 pm

Detroit

Of course there is Detroit Metro DTW the main international airport

We also have Willow Run YIP- Most of Detroit area's freight goes thru Willow Run instead of DTW- it sees regular service from DC-8s,9s and 10s and occ MD-11s, also 727s and 747s and L1011s along with old propliners like Electras etc. Several cargo companies are based there such as Zantop, USA Jet, Reliant, Murray Aviation, Trans Continental and Kalitta (formerly American International and Kitty Hawk International). Along with the cargo a lot of charter and business aviation flies out of there. Willow Run used to be the main passenger airport up till the 1950s

We have DET which off and on for a couple years is a passenger airport. Late 80s early 90s Southwest flew out of there before moving operations to DTW. Mid 90s US Air Express flew out of there. Late 90s-2000 Pro Air was based out of there with 737-400s to several destinations before ceasing operations after going bankrupt. I hear there are negotiations with 3 other carriers, one I thought I had heard was Pan Am Express.

Across the river in Windsor Ontario we have Windsor airport with service to Toronto on one of the Air Canada commuters. Back in the 80s Air Canada itself flew here with DC-9s, 727s and L1011s along with other Canadian carriers.

Flint Bishop FNT- has become an alternative to DTW for people that live in Oakland County- Detroits northern suburbs. It is actually closer to them than DTW with a straight run right up I-75. Flint sees service from Air Tran to ATL and MCO, Northwest, American Eagle, and a few other carriers that use regional jets and props.

Toledo- Although in Ohio, Toledo is joked to be Detroit's largest suburb, only a half an hour drive from DTW and serves as a good alternate to DTW for people living in Detroits southern suburbs such as Monroe. Air Tran just recently stopped service here, but Northwest Airlink, Continental Express, Comair, USAirways Express and American Eagle all fly here. Not much mainline jet service anymore. It is an important cargo hub for BAX.

Oakland Pontiac- Although no passenger carriers fly there regularly other than sports charter, Pontiac has a customs facility and is designated an International Airport. There is regular direct service between Germany and Pontiac on the Daimler Chrysler A320. There is frequent use of other "large" jets here too like 727s, DC-9s etc. You can see a lot of old piston and turboprops here such as the CV-580 and Contract Aircargo's stretch CV-5800. Also you can see a lot of DC-3s still in flying condition and even a C-46. The majority of the planes that fly here besides G/A are corporate jets. Pontiac was recently ranked the second busiest airport in Michigan after DTW.

prosa

Sat May 11, 2002 12:51 am

One could argue that PVD and MHT are Boston airports, at least WN touts them as such.

donder10

Sat May 11, 2002 12:59 am

London-
Heathrow
Gatwick
London City(small,regional planes only)
Stansted+Luton on suburbs
London Manston too-freight but hoping to expand.

racko

Sat May 11, 2002 1:07 am

berlin - tegel, tempelhof and schönefeld

and of course Frankfurt, Intl. and Hahn (just kidding)

airblue

Sat May 11, 2002 1:22 am

Milan: MXP, LIN and BGY
Rome: FCO and CIA
Paris: CDG, ORY and BVA
Oslo: OSL and TRF
Stockholm: ARN and Bromma

drerx7

Texas Airports

Sat May 11, 2002 1:33 am

Don't forget Dallas and Houston.
Dallas is served commercially by DAL and DFW.
Houston is served by EFD, IAH, and HOU.

flynavy

Orlando Area

Sat May 11, 2002 1:54 am

The Orlando, FL area is served by two international airports, both with international traffic. These are, of course, Orlando Intl. (MCO) and Sanford-Orlando Intl. (SFB). There are also two other airports within a 50 mile radius of the metro-Orlando area, and I consider them both to be Orlando airports (Daytona Beach Intl. [DAB] and Melbourne Intl. [MLB]).

Orlando International (MCO)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Derden

Orlando-Sanford International (SFB)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Colin Abbott

Daytona Beach International (DAB)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Jung

zebfly2

Sat May 11, 2002 2:10 am

Here in the Baltimore-Washington area we have BWI(Baltimore), IAD(Dulles), and DCA(Reagan Nat'l). I've flown from all 3 but prefer to fly from BWI for sheer convienence. Dulles is too far(might as well drive to PHL-same distance) and flying from DCA you encounter too much congestion getting through and around Washington.

flyingbronco05

Sat May 11, 2002 2:52 am

What about ORD and MDW? Same city, 2 different airports. Could you include GYY (Gary, IN) and CGX (Meigs) in there too?

MAH4546

Sat May 11, 2002 2:58 am

The Miami area has Miami International (MIA) has the main airport. 2 miles to the east is downtown Miami Seaplane Base (MPB) with one scheduled passenger carrier (Chalk's). Roughly 5 or so miles north is Opa Locka Field (OPF), which is mainly cargo but does have one scheduled passenger carrier (Lynx Air to Haiti and the Bahammas). 19 miles to the north of MIA is Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood, which is the region's #1 domestic airport, and 37 miles north is Palm Beach (PBI).

kevin

Sat May 11, 2002 3:01 am

Moscvow , Russia has :

1) Sheremetyevo 1 (domestic and int'l)

2) Sheremetyevo 2 (int'l and domestic)

3) Domodedovo (int'l and domestic)

4) Bykovo (domestic)

5) Vnukovo (int'l and domestic)

6) Vnukovo 2 (Russian Government Airport)

and a large number of various tiny airports and landing strips.

nonrevman

Sat May 11, 2002 3:08 am

Tampa Bay Area has 2:

TPA Tampa International
PIE St Petersburg

Anchorage also has two airports with a lot of traffic. There is ANC (Anchorage International) for commercial flights and freight, and then there is a huge seaplane base adjacent to downtown.

ScottB

Sat May 11, 2002 7:31 am

The lower Rio Grande Valley area in Texas is served by three airports with commercial air service: BRO, HRL, and MFE.

Milan has two airports, Linate and Malpensa.

You can also argue that Newburgh, NY (SWF) also serves the NYC metro area, as does TTN.

The Boston area has BOS, PVD, MHT, PSM, BED, and ORH.

prosa

Sat May 11, 2002 11:37 am

You can also argue that Newburgh, NY (SWF) also serves the NYC metro area, as does TTN.

If you really want to stretch things, add ABE.

chepos

Sat May 11, 2002 11:49 am

San Juan has two airports
San Juan (SJU)- Puerto Rico's International Airport and the biggest airport in the island.
San Juan (Isla Grande)- Located in Santurce it is in the heart of San Juan- Flights out of Isla Grande are mainly to Vieques and Culebra and The Dominican Republic (Aero Santo Domingo). There is also a great deal of general aviation activity in Isla Grande.
Chepos

FrequentFlier

Sat May 11, 2002 11:52 am

Also, Westchester County (HPN) is a smaller, regional airport just about 30 minutes from New York with flights on all majors (or subsidiaries of majors) to major hubs.

flyCMH

Sat May 11, 2002 12:13 pm

Cleveland is a multi-airport city. There is, of course, Cleveland Hopkins International, which handles all commercial traffic and is a large Continental hub. There is also Burke Lakefront Airport, which is used primarily for general aviation and business jets, but can easily handle much larger jets. One could also include Akron-Canton International Airport, given it's location in the Cleveland-Akron metro area.

Columbus also has more than one airport. There's Port Columbus International Airport, which handles all the city's commerical traffic, Rickenbacker International Airport, which is the main cargo hub in the region, and OSU's Don Scott Field, which is a large general aviation and business jet airport.

a380

Sat May 11, 2002 12:49 pm

Taipei - CKS and Songshan
Shanghai - Hongqiao and Pudong
Toronto - YYZ and YTZ

neednewairport

Sat May 11, 2002 2:18 pm

Do not forget LA

We have LAX, Burbank, Ontario, Long Beach, and John Wayne in Orange County.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

San Fran also has SFO and Oakland.

zrs70

Sat May 11, 2002 3:39 pm

In the northeast, you go 30 miles out of one city and you are in another. Nevertheless, I think that Boston has three significant airports associated with it (BOS, PVD, and MAN), as well as Worcester and Bedford.

Spark
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2002 5:27 am

I was primarily concerned with airports with passenger service, but this is interesting to hear about the Business Jet airports. Ofcourse in the bay area we have a ton (I can't begin to list them all!) airports capable of handling jets, but only 3 with passenger service.
I forgot about Stockholm when I originally posted. What is the differences between the two Stockholm airports? Also, does anybody have any information of the airports in Osaka-Kobe region. I'm aware of at least two (ITM and Kansai), but know there has to be more.

prosa

Sun May 12, 2002 5:35 am

I think that Boston has three significant airports associated with it (BOS, PVD, and MAN)

MHT. MAN is a wee bit distant from Boston  Smile

N766UA

Sun May 12, 2002 6:05 am

Detroit has Metro and Willow Run which is about the biggest cargo airport in the US.

Treg

Sun May 12, 2002 6:10 am

What about Stockholm? Arlanda and Bromma are traditional ones but thanks to Ryanair Nyköping and Västerås (both 100+ km away) are nowadays also called Stockholm airports.

OzarkD9S

Sun May 12, 2002 6:52 am

St. Louis has Lambert (STL) with an AA hub and large WN presence. On the Illinois side of the Mississippi there is St Louis-Parks airport which used to have limited commuter service. A little further east is Mid-America Airport (BLV) which incorporates part of Scott Air Force base with two greatly spaced parallel runways and a new terminal capable of expanding to 70 gates. Pan Am III flew there for a litlle over a year before pulling out. Why an airline like AirTran hasn't set up shop there is beyond me (WN at STL perhaps). Also in the western suburbs there is Spirit of St Louis airport which had limited commuter service 20-some years ago.

mfricke

Sun May 12, 2002 7:08 am

Don't forget Belfast, Northern Ireland, with Belfast International and Belfast City Airport.

Also, Berlin has three major airports: Schoenefeld, Tegel and Tempelhof

FATFlyer

Sun May 12, 2002 7:33 am

At work, I tend to define a city according to the US Census Bureau's Metropolitan Statistical Area definitions. Using that measure, San Diego's metropolitan area is all of San Diego County. That places both SAN and CLD (Carlsbad) as San Diego airports with TIJ just across the border.

OzarkD9S

Sun May 12, 2002 7:48 am

Amsterdam used to market itself as "London's 3rd Airport", and MKE used to consider itself "Chicago's 3rd Airport" given the fact the some northern suburbs were easily accesible to MKE rather than ORD or MDW. Not really related to the topic but just a fun fact  Smile

deltairlines

Sun May 12, 2002 9:00 am

Yes, I would say Boston has five airports, one major, two secondary, and two tertiary. Boston is obviously the major airport, being a focus city for three airlines (DL, AA, US) and having service to every major U.S. market and every major European market for the most part. Next is PVD and MHT. PVD has trans-Atlantic charter service on Air Luxor A330-200s, and both airports have service from UA to IAD and ORD, DL to ATL and CVG (and MCO at PVD), CO to ALB, EWR, and CLE, NW to DTW (and MSP at PVD), US to LGA, DCA, CLT, PIT, and PHL, and WN to BWI, MCO, TPA, MDW, BNA and MHT has MCI and PVD to PHX. The only difference is PVD has AA to LGA and ORD, none from MHT. ORH has service to ATL, ORD, PHL, and SFB, and BED has service to TTN and LGA.

Jeff

firstclasser

Sun May 12, 2002 9:10 am

New York:

-LGA
-JFK
-EWR
-ISLIP/MCARTHUR
-WESTCHESTER
-SWF
-TNN
-ABE
so how many is that within the NYC general area?
(NOTE I DIDN'T METION TETERBORO, OR OTHER G.A. AIRPORTS)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos