Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual777contrail
Topic Author

Northwest Queston

Sat May 11, 2002 8:10 am

I know this has probably been covered,i was offline that day.

is NORTHWEST getting the A330'S?
if so, when?
and last, how many?

i have some friends from northwest and they said they are getting them just dont know when.

ual 777 contrail

azjubilee

RE: Northwest Queston

Sat May 11, 2002 8:16 am

The first A330-300s will begin to arrive next summer July or August I believe). These planes will be for Atlantic flying, however NW, not being an ETOPS carrier, we will likely see these planes jumping around the domestic system first. These will replace the current Atlantic fleet of DC10-30s.

These planes will also be the launch for the new rebranding of NW, the new World Business Class seats and the new on demand entertainment system to be found in both classes of service.

Exciting times at NW!

AZJ

bkkair

Sat May 11, 2002 8:48 am

Azjubilee- I hope it is true that they will have AVOD in both classes. Has this been announced officially and where or is it still at the wishful thinking and rumour stage? I know NW took a couple of 744's this year ( or is taking) and they didn't have anything new.

azjubilee

Sat May 11, 2002 8:51 am

Bkkair - the video on demand info was quoted by the director of inflight services. Seems pretty reliable to me. No, it hasn't been announced publically, which is understandable. I would imagine a large campaign when the new livery, new WBC seats and new planes roll in.

AZJ

ual777contrail
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2002 10:13 am

hey thanks all, i got more info than i thought.

cant wait to see these planes in the red tails

ual 777 contrail

HlywdCatft

Sat May 11, 2002 10:37 am

Any idea what the new livery will be? I personally think it would be cool to be similar to the Saab 340 colors of the Airlinks

azjubilee

Sat May 11, 2002 1:41 pm

A while ago it was posted by Favre, our resident NW mole that the red tail and coolest logo ever will be retained, the rest is up for grabs. I personally think we'll see less red due to its inherent nature to oxidize fast and leave the planes looking rather faded pink/orange. I just hope it isn't boring white like Qantas. I also hope it isn't depressing drab grey. I'm excited to see what they'll do...

AZJ

HlywdCatft

Sat May 11, 2002 2:01 pm

I'm sure they could get some new red paint that doesn't fade in the sun as much.

I still think that a 747-400 in the Mesaba Saab 340 colors would look awesome with the majority of the plane being red. You'd see Northwest planes for MILES on a sunny day.

airliner rx

Sat May 11, 2002 11:37 pm

I was at a meeting at work and we were told that the 747 will be getting new WBC seats. They didn't have a exact date yet of the retrofit. The new 747-400's have provisional wiring installed for a new entertainment system and I belive the older 400's have it as well. The wiring was installed when they went to a digital music system to allow for more music programs with better sound.

ual777contrail
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2002 6:17 am

ok, i have another dump queston.

i was told by a northwest emplyee who appeared to be serious.

when asked why NORTHWEST plane looked like a bowling shoe he said"the red on top is for if the plane crashes in the mountains or the snow you would be able to spot the red paint" is this crap? or is this the truth?

i am not niave but it sounded pretty good after i was done laughing.

ual 777 contrail

TonyBurr

Sun May 12, 2002 8:15 am

UAL 777 Contrail I am not sure, but I did hear years ago that the reason NW had red tails was becuase they flew over very snowy areas and if they crashed the red tail would be easier for rescurers to spot. I don't know if it is true but when you mentioned it, it triggered that remembrance in me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos