Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dreamexpress
Topic Author

Very Good Flight On BA

Tue May 14, 2002 5:37 am

Just got back from Tenerife on a BA Airbus A321 to LGW. Great flight! Very smooth and another good flight from BA. Of all the flights I have been on BA have been the best with their food & service. I will fly them again & again. Thanks BA.

I must say it was my first flight on an airbus 321. Nice plane!

richardw

RE: Very Good Flight On BA

Tue May 14, 2002 5:40 am

Probably a GB Airways flight in BA colours, in my experience GB are the best short haul BA flights.

Marco

Tue May 14, 2002 5:43 am

GB airways are very good. I've had good experiences with them on the following routes: LGW-BCN and LHR-AGP.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

dreamexpress
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2002 5:50 am

Please explain the GB airways thing... Is it a BA plane operated by GB Airways staff?? Perhaps I should be thanking GB!

Tue May 14, 2002 6:03 am

GB airways is a BA franchise; it is an independent airline which pays BA money to paint its plane in BA colours. It owns its own route and aircraft, although BA has transferred a few of its own routes to GB airways.

So you could thank both-GB for being such a good airline, and BA for providing you with a good partner.

Correct me if I am wrong, but such airlines usually have to pay BA millions to pain their a/c in BA colours, use BA codes etc.

British Mediterranean is the same-they fly to a whole host of interesting destinations-Addis Ababa, Tehran, Baku etc.....all under the BA brand.

baec777

Tue May 14, 2002 8:36 am

I flew on British Airways from Dallas / Fort Worth, TEXAS to Tel Aviv ISRAEL via London LGW, terrific airline, crews, food, entertainment, people of the UK airport @ LGW.... !! Sleepover was my best !!!

baec

Adam84

Tue May 14, 2002 11:45 am

Its not just the money to paint the aircraft. They have to prove to British Airways they can provide the same level of service as British Airways mainline.

We would still market the flights as British Airways, sell them as British Airways and would never tell the passengers they were not on British Airways.

Well that is what we were taught. (We would have to tell when it was Aer Lingus, Deutche BA, and a few others).

Crosswind

Tue May 14, 2002 12:05 pm

Adam,

Airlines in the UK have a legal obligation to inform passengers of the airline responsible for operating the flight at the time of booking, and it is also a legal requirement that the name of the airline operating the service appears on the aircraft. I think the latter rule applies across the whole of the EU, as you always find the name of the operating carrier somewhere on franchise/regional subsidiary airlines, AFIK.

If you look at the BA website in the booking section when you select a flight and before confirming it, the name of the operating carrier is listed whether it's British Airways, or any of their subsidiaries, franchises or codeshare partners.

Even British Airways' MAN-JFK flight is now listed as being operated by British Airways CitiExpress, because even though the service uses a British Airways aircraft and flightdeck crew, the cabin staff are supplied by CitiExpress - and BA is legally obliged to inform passengers of that.

Regards
CROSSWIND

TonyBurr

Tue May 14, 2002 8:27 pm

Recently I was scheduled to fly from IAD to LHR on UA in C class. Due to UA delays I was put on BA in economy. Excellent flight! The crew was terrific. The food for economy was good. Even economy had small amenities kits. The seats had side headrests which held your head as you slept. We left/arrived on time. When i went to recline the seat I thought it was broken becuase it "kept going back". Granted I had to put my seat up so the person behind me could put his tray down and eat. I looked into the economy plus (whatever the call it) class and it looked good with wider seats and foot rests. Teh cabin was very attractive and very clean. Their business class had full beds. Tremendously impressive.

Why pay C class on UA when you can get such great product on BA? I won't!

eugdog

Tue May 14, 2002 9:34 pm

I would go on BA more if they would allow you to choose your seats on line like United and AA.

But I would never go on them to Europe out of principle - they charge rip off fares to business passengers (£500 to Frankfurt for week days with no Saturday night stay) and as such are creating unneccesary barriers to inter-European trade.

I think the future for BA is to dismantle its entire European net work and start a low cost airline out of Heathrow (then can charger a premium over Easyjet etc for Heathrow services). Unfortunetly making 50,000 staff redundant would mean hefty redundancy payments!!

CV990

Tue May 14, 2002 9:56 pm

Hi!

I live close to FAO and when I need to make my trips I always choose BA, I have also LH and KL but I like better BA. As you know BA from FAO is operated by GBAirways but those guys are excelent, the people in their office are very kind and everytime I fly with them I always pre-book my seats, and I can't complain they do exactly what I want. I remember last summer when I started my last vacation to USA and Canada I flew from FAO to LHR in a GBAirways brand new A321, the flight was completely crowded and I had my seats already reserved, so no problem to stay in the end of the line, we got 2 window seats ahead the wing and it was great. The flight was also great and the service was excelent, aperitfs, full course meal, coffee and digestifs in the end, I was flying coach with all the family but we had a first class service. This year I'll go again to California and I have already my flights reserved and the seats reserved too!!!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

David_itl

Tue May 14, 2002 10:03 pm

Eugdog, are you quoting a fully flexible fare from BA? If I remember correctly, any change of plans you have when flying easyJet mean having to pay the difference in fare from what you paid to what the lowest priced available seat on the wanted flight plus £10. Hence, the difference in price may not be as great as some people have us believe.

David

Britair

Wed May 15, 2002 12:43 am

Well I must say you guys have made my day! I almost have a tear in my eye ( Smile) as I read these lovely comments for BA!

I have flown GB a few times (including Tenerife on the A321) and I have to agree they are fantastic! The crew have been really lovely. They are a great addition to the BA family and are proud ambassadors of the BA brand.

Thanks guys! Keep flying BA! We do try to be the best, I now we cant get it right all the time, but it's nice to hear that when we do it is appreciated.

Cheers  Smile

CV990

Wed May 15, 2002 2:43 am

Hi Britair!

I'm glad you like our words, at least for me BA overpasses most of our expectations. I just want to recall my lattest intercontinental flight with them. We flew from PHL to LHR in a BA 747-400 - G-BYGG - quite a brand new airplane I presume, also we had for the first time the taste of flying the new improved coach class. It was great, the seats, the PTV those things really gave a value added to our flight, for our kids it was fantastic because they didn't get bored, they could actually have lots of fun seeing movies and the flight passed quicky!!! The service was excelent too, I had for starters shrimp cocktail.... can you imagine that on a coach flight? And it was delicious I tell you, I'm from a country where we have excelent seafood and I was completely happy with it. The crew was fantastic and friendly, the F/A's just passed during the night regulary to see if we needed something extra, it was awsome and to end beautifully we had one of the most smooth landings I ever experienced in my life.
Great fun and now I'm waiting this summer to return to SFO with BA 777, that must be something, 11:30 hours inside a BA airplane it's going to be fun!!!!
regards and keep beeing proud of your airline, I'll do my task and that is to tell all my friends that my airline to most of the places I travel is BA - but I still like our TAP/Air Portugal.
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

[email protected]

Wed May 15, 2002 3:22 am

BA is my favourite airline. I've had nothing but excellent experiences on BA over the last 10 years, all this on world traveller! Fantastic. Another thing that attracts me to BA is the safety conscious attitude from BA, for some reason i always feel safe flying BA.

rdgs
[email protected]
In Arsene we trust!!

Britair

Wed May 15, 2002 5:51 am

Thanks CV990! Glad you had a great flight. Yes, G-BYGG is one of the newest 744's in the fleet. Why not try World Traveller Plus next time, the fares arent that much more than the average World Traveller fare and you get a decent amount of extra legroom and space.

[email protected] reason why you're one of my respected users!! Smile I feel the same about BA. You do feel like you are in good hands.

I just came back from a weekend in Istanbul yesterday and both flights were really really good, great crews, the upgrade to Club Europe on the way back was a nice extra I must admit!

Cheers guys  Smile

British Airways. The World's favourite airline

p.s. sorry if this sounds a little too much, I am just feelin a little proud of my company right now, and i read so much bad press it's nice to bask in some glory for once!  Smile

Wed May 15, 2002 6:21 am

Brit, can you tell me when BA are likely to extend their new cheap & flexible fares to Europe? I'm hoping to visit Vienna in September, and would prefer to fly non-stop if poss (the other option is Ryanair to Graz, but its a hassle to get to Vienna then)...

Cheers

qantas744

Wed May 15, 2002 6:44 am

The new domestic fares are great.....I'll not be going on easyJet much from now on. I did Heathrow to Manchester last Friday flying out at 0745 and back at 1730, but it only cost a few pence over ??60! Even better was to be able to get off a plane at 1837 and open my front door at 1859, I could never do that with EZY.

Can I ask why when BA is offering such a good product (in my opinion) do they codeshare with QF whose service levels are fairly primitive compared to BA. I did a BA/QF ticket to AKL last year and was most disappointed to find that ALL the flights were QF-apart from one sector on AC who were even worse!

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

KWSea

Wed May 15, 2002 7:21 am

I want to add my commendation of BA. I've flown with them many time over the years and they have all been just as good, if not better than many other airlines.
I feel sorry for them sometimes, they seem to get a lot of unfair press in the UK.

ryanb741

Wed May 15, 2002 7:52 am

Qantas744 - I second that. I used to take BA regularly LHR-BKK but they kept codesharing with QF which is not in the same league as BA. Maybe with the new QF cabins that will change, but until then SQ are getting my cash to Thailand, or I will fly the codeshares on BA a/c only.

I have to say though, BA have improved a heck of a lot recently. The New World Traveller cabins are excellent, and Club World is cool with the backward facing sleeper seats  Smile
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

aussiestu

Wed May 15, 2002 7:59 am

Its that typical British press thing. When you are at your best then the press do their best to knock you down. BA is good. Like any airline when they are good they are very very good and when they are bad they are the worst. Great to read so many good and commending comments about BA. They are good. They are a world leader. They always strive to do their best but like all things it can go wrong. Its a safe and efficient airline and the choice of most people around the world. Heres hoping that you all continue to enjoy the BA service and its many advances in airline travel. Three cheers to BA.........

[email protected]

Wed May 15, 2002 8:11 am

The negative UK media press coverage towards BA is really annoying. Yes, BA was doing badly over the last few years but so were dozens of other airlines. Imagine if there was a major incident involving BA, or if it was somehow involved in september 11th, the media would have gone wild with stories of how lax security was or how bad BA maintenance was etc etc. Slowly things are getting better though.

[email protected]
In Arsene we trust!!

Britair

Wed May 15, 2002 11:50 pm

Capt.Picard, BA has rolled out the new European fare structure (no saturday night stay, no advance purchase like the UK domestic fares) to Amsterdam, Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm already. As for the rest of Europe (just between you and me) it should be launched next month or early July. It is great news for BA and even better news for customers!

Cheers guys  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos