Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Flying Belgian
Topic Author

Some News For BRU Airport...

Sun May 19, 2002 5:56 pm

Hello to you all,

Just 4 days after the opening of the new terminal in BRU apt, Mr Pierre Klees the CEO of BIAC has given an interview to the Belgian newspaper Le Soir in which he stated that the former C-terminal could be used by the low-cost carriers at lower prices of course. In my opinion, with such move Mr Klees tries to attract Ryannair and why not EasyJet...

He also stated that his commercial departemnt was negociating with new carriers that expressed interest in the BRU place. He said that 2 Noth-American carriers and two Asian carriers were interrested without giving any name of course !!! He said that such negociations were now much easier, now that Sabena has disapeared. Sabena was dictating the rules in BRU according to him !!! Moreover SNBA needs more code-share partners and could be an important feeder for them.

Therefore I ask you: Guess who those 4 airlines could be ???

Thanks !!

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

sabena_A340

RE: Some News For BRU Airport...

Sun May 19, 2002 6:06 pm

That's very good news for BRU.

2 Asian and 2 American!! wow  Wow!
Maybe AC and NW for America
Asiana and ??? for Asia

It will be a great year for BRU!!

744rules

Sun May 19, 2002 6:14 pm

I know eva is very interested in expanding their european network. Especially when they will have their airbuses delivered

pressclub

Sun May 19, 2002 6:57 pm

Hi F.B.

My colleague from Le Soir didn't hear well, coz Mr. Klees also gave the names during his presslunch.

The American carriers are : Continental and American (SN Bru is talking with both)

The two Asian are: Singapore and Thai

The C concourse is closed 'until further notice'. According to BIAC management options are: demolishment, dedicated to low cost OR charter actvities. normally the satellite will be demolished and the real 'c pier' may survive.

Pressclub

Flying Belgian
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2002 7:04 pm

I was thinking of All Nippon Airways as Belgium needs a link with Japan.

For the rest I can guess Eva Air, Asiana & Thai.

For North America: Air Canada, Northwest.

To my opinion, Emirates is considering Brussels (as a replacement for Dusseldorf ?)

let's wait and see !!!

FB.

Flying Belgian
Topic Author

Pressclub.

Sun May 19, 2002 7:05 pm

Thanks for your valuable informations PressClub !!!

FB.

Established02

Sun May 19, 2002 7:08 pm

> Maybe AC and NW for America

Why would NW be interested in BRU? They have a dozen of daily flights to AMS. NW is already relying on KLM's network, which is much larger than SNBA's. NW seems to be happily married to KL.

I wish it were true though. Northwest Orient was initially one of my most favourite carriers, because of their eye-catching colour scheme. I'm afraid that the only way to see NW at BRU is when AMS closes because of fog.

AC was already at BRU for at least four times or so. First with pax during the sixties/seventies, then with a bunch of cargo flights during the mid eighties, then two times with B762 during the nineties. However, each time AC disappeared again after a while.

One of the high-lights for spotters at BRU during the eighties: around noon time on Sundays AC used to come in at BRU with up to 3 DC8-70's almost simultaneously!  Big thumbs up

PS: I just saw Hewa Bora on take off at 11:35. So it seems that their L1011 is spending the night at BRU, because it arrives at about 20:00 on Saturday.

Sabena 690

Sun May 19, 2002 7:32 pm

Me too heard the names of Thai and SQ for Asia.

The American partners are in the meantime already mentioned a lot here: AA and CO.

I heard that SNBA is in serious talks with OneWorld, they prefer the alliance with BA and AA. Maybe will the new partner be AA for N-America?

About the Asian one, maybe CX.
Thai was already in Brussels, but they left EBBR. Reason is that it was cheaper to let the pax come to FRA and there take a flight, than have a direct flight to Brussels. Thai is a member of Star Alliance, so...

It stays guessing. About SQ: they have a lot of stop overs at the moment in Amsterdam for their intercontinental flights. Why should they move to Brussels?

Regards,
Frederic

apuneger

Sun May 19, 2002 7:43 pm

It sure would be nice to seem some more long haul carriers over here at BRU, wouldn't it? Indeed, I see no reason why Northwest would like to come to BRU. BRU is only a couple of hundred km's from AMS, so it really doesn't matter for US pax whether they fly to BRU or AMS.

And thanks for the valuable information, Pressclub.

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

LJ

Sun May 19, 2002 9:05 pm

Doesn't Co and SQ already fly to BRU?

pressclub

Sun May 19, 2002 9:14 pm

Both fly to brussels but BIAC hopes they will give EBBR a more dominant position in their route network

i have to deny alliance talks from SN BA: it's tooooooo early for that says the CEO. They have first to a lot to proove before they can join an alliance

manni

Sun May 19, 2002 9:46 pm

2 Asian carriers.

A couple weeks ago there were rumours here on a.net that Eva Air would start flying from TPE via BKK to BRU. That could be one of two. In that case I can not imagine TG to start flying to BRU aswell.

There have been rumours for a while now that a Japanese or a Korean carrier would be attracted to fly to BRU. Perhaps KE? They have recently added extra cargo flights to BRU and are slowly expanding their routenetwork in Europe again.

Qatar Airways said it will add new European destinations, but didn't specify which. If they would start flying to BRU, they would be the first and only airline from the Gulf region, able to offer convienient connections to other Gulf states, the Indian sub-continent and Asia.

An American carrier,

There were rumours before that Northwest would start flying to BRU with a 757 from Detroit.

I would not think that AA will codeshare again with Belgiums national airline, they clearly choose for Swiss.

Just some toughts

Established02

Sun May 19, 2002 10:01 pm

> To my opinion, Emirates is considering Brussels (as a replacement for Dusseldorf ?)

What is EK's traffic at DUS? An A330 a few times a week?

Why would EK not be satisfied at DUS or be more satisfied at BRU?

It would be nice to have EK at BRU, because there is not a single passenger connection between BRU and the Gulf Region.

Is there any update or confirmation about the plans of Syrian Arab Airlines to fly between Damascus and BRU?

> normally the satellite will be demolished

That would be sad, because it's kind of a nice and unique building.

Hopefully they can renovate the interior of the satellite and give it another purpose. At least there is no hurry to break this building down so soon, is there? Besides, BIAC may not immediately have the cash for another costly operation, like breaking down a big building.

=> Would the satellite not be a nice place for something like an aviation museum or aviation exhibition hall?

I believe AMS has this Aviadome(?). I've never visited it, but I believe it's fairly succesful, isn't it? I believe other airports may have some museum as well.

A museum / scientific entertainment parc at BRU could further develop the airport as a meeting place for travel, business, shopping, leisure, education,...

Established02

teahan

Sun May 19, 2002 10:25 pm

Hello,

The C Pier as a dedicated facility for low cost carriers, now that’s interesting news. I think we should congratulate Brussels Airport for such an initiative, that is if it goes ahead obviously. Here is Ireland, the Airports Authority, Aer Rianta, are being forced by the government to build a rapid turnaround facility for the low cost carriers. Despite the government’s request for it to be completed by summer 2003, Aer Rianta are still using every delaying tactic and excuse possible.

I am wondering if that would change anything for Ryanair at Charleroi? Shortly after the bankruptcy of Sabena, there were some rumours that Ryanair might their Charleroi hub to Brussels National. IIRC, it was even published in the magazine Airliner World.

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

gaut

Sun May 19, 2002 11:15 pm

I don't see Ryanair leaving CRL in a near term. BRU is much more expensive and Ryanair receives aids from the Walloon government. But we could see Easyjet in BRU.
Some pics of the new concourse have been uploaded on the site of BIAC
http://www.brusselsairport.be/pier_a/

Gaut
«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

LJ

Sun May 19, 2002 11:54 pm

I wonder whether the BIAC initiative to use C Pier for low cost is good news for SNBA. I don't think SNBA will be very happy if easyJet will decide to move into BRU. SNBA relies heavily on inter European routes and the yield will be effected greatly if EZY moves into BRU as both EZY and SN are focusing on the business passenger.

Allthough you can never say never I think that you can forget that Ryanair will start operations at BRU. Ryanair only operates to second or third tier airports and BRU is a first tier airport.

The Syrian flights are already in Amadeus. Two weekly flights (RB440) as of June 12th. On Wednesday the flight will leave BRU at 05.00 and arrive at DAM at 13.35 after a stop in Vienna and Aleppo. On Sunday the A320 will fly Brussels - Vienna - Damascus and leave BRU at 08.15. All this info comes from Amadeus and can be changed. Flights from DAM will arrive in BRU at 04.00 on Wednesday and 07.15 on Sundays whereby the Sunday flight arrives via Vienna and Aleppo and the Wednesday flight only via Vienna.

As for EK, Just follow A.net user Emirates777 as he always has the EK news. BTW DUS is a daily flight

Regards
Laurens

teahan

Mon May 20, 2002 12:03 am

Hello,

Gaut, thanks for the link to those Pier A pictures. Looks very nice indeed. What will happen to the IRDL (Interim Remote Departure Lounge). Will it be dismantled?

Lj, but why on earth does BIAC care about yield? Reality is that easyJet carries a much greater volume of passengers on fewer flights than nearly all other airlines. An interesting statistic came out in an article (in a Swiss financial magazine called Cash) about easyJet expanding from Zurich. Normal passengers spend an average of SFR28 (€19) at the airport, easyJet passengers on average spend SFR40 (€27).

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Established02

Mon May 20, 2002 12:05 am

> Perhaps KE? They have recently added extra cargo flights to BRU...

It's interesting that both Korean carriers OZ & KE have developed considerable cargo operations at BRU. Together they may have almost a dozen of flights a week through BRU! Is it coincidence or is there a reason that both Koreans have chosen for BRU?

Would any carrier be interested to operate cargo flights between BRU and Japan & China?

Established02

manni

Mon May 20, 2002 1:34 am

KE operates 5 flights a week between BRU and ICN, OZ has 4 flights a week. China Eastern used to fly to BRU with cargo aircraft aswell as passenger aircraft. A large part of the cargo transported by OZ goes via ICN to NRT.

emirates777

Mon May 20, 2002 3:33 am

I have not heard anything concrete about BRU from Emirates perspective. Furthermore, DUS loads are reasonable - not that great. They recently dropped F class and deploy the 2-class A330s. The real money earner on the route is cargo. Whenever a HD A330 is required - it is taken from the DUS flight and deployed to the required route on the day. If they do consider dropping DUS - a likely replacement is AMS rather than BRU. In the longer term they will likely serve BRU.

Rgds
Emirates777

ZOOMER

Mon May 20, 2002 3:44 am

Northwest Airlines did operate once to Brussels........when they mistook it for Frankfurt!!! (True - happened a few years ago).

As AAL and COA already operate from the airport, I guess that any negotiations concern expansion of services and destinations.

glider

Mon May 20, 2002 3:45 am

Wish all the airlines mentioned before in the topic would fly to Brussels...  Wink/being sarcastic

Flying Belgian
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2002 11:41 pm

I have not heard anything concrete about BRU from Emirates perspective. Furthermore, DUS loads are reasonable - not that great. They recently dropped F class and deploy the 2-class A330s. The real money earner on the route is cargo. Whenever a HD A330 is required - it is taken from the DUS flight and deployed to the required route on the day. If they do consider dropping DUS - a likely replacement is AMS rather than BRU. In the longer term they will likely serve BRU.

Rgds
Emirates777

I don't understand why EK never operated to AMS and instead flies to 3 cities in Germany...

FB.

LJ

Tue May 21, 2002 1:06 am

Flying Belgian, first KLM was (and still is) not happy with an EK service (and they used to have some really good friends in the Dutch Aviation Administration). Second, AMS is already served by EK as an all cargo destination (the only destination in europe where the EK B747-400F comes to on a regular basis).

UL/EK was interested in AMS as a passenger destination (EK codeshare on UL) but UL (and probably also EK) decided that Berlin was/is better so the flight went to Berlin instead of AMS.

Regards
Laurens

Established02

Tue May 21, 2002 4:32 am

Greetings,

Just a few remarks about today's timetable at BRU:

http://www.brusselsairport.be/arrivals/

21/05 08:55 Dhaka BG 011
21/05 08:55 Dubai BG 011

Apparently the stop at Dubai was not a one-time thing. BG seems to have replaced Delhi with Dubai as their stop between Dhaka and BRU. Perhaps a wise move?

21/05 07:40 Bremen HR 4160
21/05 07:40 Bremen OLT 160

21/05 07:55 Erfurt HR 4660
21/05 07:55 Erfurt OLT 660

Bremen was already served for a while, however Erfurt seems to be a new destination for BRU. "Keine Ahnung" as to where to find Erfurt on the map. I guess somewhere in northern Germany. I didn't know OLT (Ostfrisische Luft Transport (?)) still existed. Who is HR?

20/05 22:45 Madrid GEV 211

And who is GEV?

20/05 20:15 Munich LH 5882 20:09
20/05 20:15 Munich NZ 4592 20:09

What's the use of a LH-NZ code share between MUC and BRU?
Does NZ fly to MUC?

20/05 20:25 Pisa G7 764 20:28
21/05 09:20 Pisa G7 760

20/05 19:00 Trieste G7 744 18:39
21/05 09:50 Trieste G7 740

Pisa was already served for a while by Gandalf, however Trieste seems to be a new destination for BRU.

Well, it's nice to see that BRU receives some additional attention and traffic from the regional carriers.

Established02

Sabena 690

Tue May 21, 2002 5:01 am

21/05 08:55 Dhaka BG 011
21/05 08:55 Dubai BG 011

This is already several months that BG flies the one time to Dhaka via Dubai, the other time to Dhaka via Delhi.

21/05 07:55 Erfurt HR 4660
21/05 07:55 Erfurt OLT 660

I noticed this too. I don't know which company HR is.

About OLT: I believe that they are in hands of Austrian Airlines now.

And who is GEV?

I don't know. The aircraft is an SWM, a small propellor plane. Strange is that it is cancelled on the Sabena site, and delayed on the BIAC site.

What's the use of a LH-NZ code share between MUC and BRU?
Does NZ fly to MUC?

LH flies to lot's of destinations from Munchen, it is a multihub system (FRA-MUC).
It can also be a LH flight from MUC to New Zealand, with an NZ code share, but it can be an NZ flight too.

Why MUC and why not FRA, I don't know.

20/05 19:00 Trieste G7 744 18:39
21/05 09:50 Trieste G7 740

Yes, I noticed this too. Also served with a Dornier 328 (nice plane).

You see, Brussels is not that boring  Laugh out loud

Regards,
Frederic

Established02

Tue May 21, 2002 5:46 am

> Wish all the airlines mentioned before in the topic would fly to Brussels...

They do ... and a whole lot more ... at 30.000 feet above Brussels.  Big thumbs up
For example, a few days ago I noticed a climbing Qantas 744.
Binoculars do help though.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Today I saw again a B747 on (silent) descent right over Brussels going eastwards in a straight line. I guess it's altitude was about 3-4 km. This happened late in the evening and previously in the early morning, when traffic over BRU is calm. Could this be traffic on descent to LGG? However, if this traffic passes over BRU at such a low altitude, then I assume it is guided by Brussels Approach, isn't it?

Established02

Established02

Tue May 21, 2002 5:56 am

A passionate lurker on A.net  Wink/being sarcastic tells me that Erfurt is located near Weimar & Dresden. This flight of GEV ex Mad would be a regular(?) freight flight! There appears to have been an A310 of CSA at BRU this evening!

Established02

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos