Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

STT757
Topic Author

Good News, You No Longer Need A Ticket To Pass...

Wed May 22, 2002 1:00 pm

Good news is you no longer need a ticket to pass through security check points, the bad news is you can only get through without a ticket if your a President's Club member.

CO received permission from the FAA to allow President's Club members access to the clubs without boarding passes, other airlines such as AA and DL will offer the same to their Crown and Admirals club members. All you need is a club card and a valid photo id to show security screeners and you can pass through.

In case your wondering a new one year Membership for CO's President's Club will run you about $350, but look at the bright side you visit the club and airport concourses whenever you want. Plus you can get free drinks at the Cubs.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

STT757
Topic Author

RE: Good News, You No Longer Need A Ticket To Pass...

Wed May 22, 2002 1:01 pm

That's Clubs not Cubs, so don't ask for your free drink at Wrigley Smile

boeing 747-311

Wed May 22, 2002 1:52 pm

what about America West?`
Come fly with US

jhooper

Thu May 23, 2002 9:52 am

Does this seem consistent with the government's objective? If "elite" non-travelers are allowed through, why aren't ordinary people allowed through?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

TonyBurr

Thu May 23, 2002 10:59 am

Where did you get this information? I find it hard to believe! It is not at all consistent with security measures by the government.

What is your source?

STT757
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2002 11:09 am

From Continental's OnePass page, go to the news section and scroll down to where it says "Presidents Club, no ticket required".

https://onepass.continental.com

TonyBurr

Thu May 23, 2002 11:13 am

I clicked on the sight but could not find the seciton on "President's Club, no ticket" please check and see if it is still there and let us know.

STT757
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2002 11:15 am

It's there under News and Offers, look on the left side of the screen under frequent flyer.

ual777contrail

Thu May 23, 2002 12:06 pm

as a gate agent i hope they never let pax through with out tkts.it is so much easier trying to find a person for the flight when you know the only pax in the terminal are ticketed passengers.

ual 777 contrail

Maniac

Thu May 23, 2002 12:35 pm

I have actually seen this before. Many airlines allow club members to rent meeting rooms at airport club locations. I have seen Delta ticket agents accompany non-ticketed passengers past security to attend a meeting in the Crown Room.

kaitakfan

Thu May 23, 2002 12:56 pm

That sounds like a bad idea with security measures. Hell didnt the terrorists on September 11th fly business class? Who is to say Islamic Fundamentalists cant become high priviledged members with Airlines and cant ? Just seems that a worst case scenario could be created from this case if you ask me.

afitch7881

Thu May 23, 2002 1:11 pm

What does not allowing non flying passengers through the security check point do anyways? All it does it make it easier, and quicker to get passengers through the checkpoints. To get onto a plane, a person still needs a ticket, so not like just anyone can go on the plane..... All the securirty messure does is make it quicker and easier to screen people, which they can't even do correctly most the time.

Eric

vr-hkg

Fri May 24, 2002 9:55 am

Why exactly is this good news? US airports need more security than they currently have, not less. All this means is now we have to queue behind even more people since non-pax are getting past the security check too, and there's more people in the "restricted" areas of the terminal, hence more possibility for something to be got through security.

Bad idea, and I hope somebody prevents it.

aking8488

Fri May 24, 2002 1:40 pm

KaiTakFan--I'm curious about your post. How does allowing elite/club member "passengers" beyond the security checkpoint have anything to do with the 9/11 terrorists that did, by the way, have tickets? If they hadn't, they still wouldn't of gotten on a plane. In other words, you're suggesting that the threat is higher with this idea. How? You still go through security and if you want to even get on a plane, you buy a ticket.

Fri May 24, 2002 5:51 pm

Bad move, obviously some people have still not learnt the lessons of 9/11...the point isn't whether a 'terrorist' has a valid ticket for travel or not; the point is that steps should now be made to make American airports as secure as it is possible to make them-letting one and all through security presents problems-that is why it has been forbidden in European airports for so long.

Why deal with more people than you have to? Keep those who are NOT travelling AWAY from those who are; apart from the security issues of over-crowded airports, as one airport employee mentioned above, it adds unecessary workload to an already hectic environment....there is NO reason for non-travelling passengers to be hanging around at airports. If Europe can apply logic to basic airport security measures, why can't America?

Cheers

RickB

Fri May 24, 2002 6:30 pm

Aking8488 - if a terrorist group gets a person past a security desk 30 times - the chances that they can smuggle something in is higher, this way they can visit the same airport and terminal many times a day and examine the security proceedures to find holes in it until they manage to smuggle something in. All they have to do is leave the 'weapon' somewhere hidden in the secure area.

The real suicide terrorist then comes along at a later date- with nothing on him and nothing to raise suspicion and picks up the weapon left previously.

Remember - if you can join the President club for $350 then thats a small price to pay for well funded terrorists - they could even leave multiple objects behind the security screen for multiple terrorists and its 9/11 all over again.

Delta777-XXX

Fri May 24, 2002 7:33 pm

I think non-ticketed passengers should be allowed in the concourse. Afitch7881 is right, you still have to have a ticket to get on a plane and you have to pass through security to get to the terminal so it's not like anyone is going to take a weapon in. I fail to see the danger in it.

Before September 11th, I use to go in the terminal all the time. There are great places to take pictures inside the terminal in Atlanta, whereas the outside is not so great. Another thing, it was great to be able to pick up family/friends/whoever and meet them at their gate. Now I have to wait in my car while all these clueless security guards are fussing at me to move my car.
So I think it's great news they are letting people in without a ticket. How can you join the Delta elite club?

Thanks,
Hank

SegmentKing

Sat May 25, 2002 1:38 am

Not to burst your bubble, but if you are a member of an airline lounge and you are at an airport with one, you can pass through security. this has been in effect since mid November... and it's all airlines, not just CO... I've personally done it at LAX when I had to meet up with a friend at the Red Carpet Club...

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

boeingrulz

Sat May 25, 2002 2:07 am

The only security reason for only alowing ticketed passengers into the secure area of the terminal is to reduce the number of people going through and thus increasing the amount of time spend on each person, making for a more complete security check. Thats it, its not because un-ticketed persons are a greater security threat, quite the opposite!

Carolyn

acidradio

Sat May 25, 2002 2:25 am

I was about to sign up for NW's Worldclub, until the first thing it said was "Airline and Airport employees are INELIGIBLE". Doh!  Sad
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

jhooper

Sat May 25, 2002 12:01 pm

Acidradio,

Can't you join another airline's club? Or does the fact that you work for ANY airline make you inelligible. If so, that's kinda sad.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Mitchell Gant

Sat May 25, 2002 12:36 pm

Sign up for the Continental President's Club. Airline employees are allowed to join, provided they don't come into the club in their work uniform. P-Club members are allowed access to all domestic NW World Clubs.

kaitakfan

Sat May 25, 2002 12:57 pm

I think RickB just said what I was thinking much better then I could say myself. Just the little extra margin for error is to risky during these days in the United States. Sad but true. I think keeping non ticketed passengers out of the restricted area is better then someday seeing something as horrific as 4 jets being hijacked and massive buildings being destroyed, all because alittle extra tension was let up. Look at it like a dam with a crack in it... after time it will start to be broken in more and more by the relentless water and before you know it it all falls apart and you are in a world of trouble.

zrs70

Sat May 25, 2002 4:00 pm

Clarification, folks....

Being a member of the VIP lounge is not the same as being an elite flyer.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

ha2vegas

Wed May 29, 2002 6:09 am

Carolyn (Boeingrulz) is the only one who's got it right. The ticketed passenger only rule is and always has been a crowd control measure, not a security measure. The directive also allows for several exceptions to be made, and has since it was instituted.

Wed May 29, 2002 6:27 am

In the context of airports, and in the current climate, would you not equate "crowd control" with "security"? Why do airports outside the US not apply the same exceptions?

Of course, some members of the non-travelling "public" are allowed 'airside" at Heathrow etc., but they are usually there for professional reasons (the press, medical staff, police etc.)

Just would like to know why there are differences; if one nation or nations perceives non-ticketed passengers airside to be a security problem, why not all? Surely safety is a universal concept?

I don't mean to criticise policies, just to understand why there are differences in safety measures taken, when in my mind there shouldn't be.

Cheers

Loadcontroller

Wed May 29, 2002 6:32 am

So a fanatic terrorist pays a fee of 350$ and passes into the concourse and blows it up????? Perfect.....

Heard of better ideas.

heavymetal

Wed May 29, 2002 6:53 am

Someone should remind the legion of "I paid more so bow down to me" business types that the first and biz class sections on a bombed or hijacked a/c tend to be affected too.

The "ticketed passengers only" rule is a SECURITY measure. (Last time I checked 'crowd control' was an element of security.)

We really haven't learned.

Loadcontroller

Wed May 29, 2002 6:58 am

Heavymetal

The longer I think about what happened after 9/11 unfortunately I have to admit that you are right. There are still too many leaks in security at airports.

acidradio

Wed May 29, 2002 7:23 am

Yeah I'll have to try Continental's club. And no, I wouldn't show up there wearing my ramp uniform! If NW let airline/airport people join up, you would probably have half the airport there everyday after work getting liquored up. Quite a conundrum.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

SegmentKing

Wed May 29, 2002 8:44 am

most clubs don't offer free alcoholic beverages...

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos